Thread: HDMI Cables
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #34
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
What about something like this? Does this give me everything I need for true surround sound? I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking for here.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN
Just looking at the back of the reciever you linked...

It appears to have 3 or 4 HDMI inputs along the top, and 2 optical inputs running vertical along the left side. There is also the coaxial digital input right below them. Anything that uses those inputs will be capable of producing a Dolby Digital or DTS audio signal, which will give you 5.1 at least. (2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, a centre channel, and the sub). The thing producing the signal (ie. DVD player, Bluray, HD sat. etc.) will have to be set to the correct mode, and the content being watched must have the 5.1 sound in it. (All dvd's/bluray have it built in...TV is hit and miss). I usually just go with Dolby Digital, but most of the time it is automatically selected anyway.

Your 4 surround speakers (2 front, 2 rear) will plug into those 4 square outputs with the red and black. Your centre channel will go into the ones beside it. The 4 round ones are usually for your "Music speakers". When you have 2 larger speakers made for music only, not theatre sound. I imagine you will ignore those.

ANYWAY, make a long story short...yes, that receiver will do surround sound perfectly, and you are actually nicely setup for the future. Yeah, it's Sony...but that's another thready.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by psicodude; 09-03-2008 at 10:21 PM.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote