PDA

View Full Version : NFLPA - "Save your pay, a lockout is coming"

Cowperson
12-04-2010, 11:16 AM
A memo reveals the NFLPA is advising members to save their last three game cheques to prepare for an anticipated lockout.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/nflpa-save-your-pay-lockouts-coming/article1825412/

Cowperson

GirlySports
12-04-2010, 11:55 AM
A memo reveals the NFLPA is advising members to save their last three game cheques to prepare for an anticipated lockout.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/nflpa-save-your-pay-lockouts-coming/article1825412/

Cowperson

The players will still always run out of money and break first.

Sylvanfan
12-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Three game cheques isn't going to last very long for a lot of these guys, not to mention we're talking about athletes who's average career is 3-4 years and a sport where there is a plentiful supply of younger players ready to step up and take jobs. Owners have been planning this lockout for at least 2 years. I feel bad for the players because they don't have a particularly great labour deal and they're about to get worked over even worse.

Addick
12-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Three game cheques isn't going to last very long for a lot of these guys, not to mention we're talking about athletes who's average career is 3-4 years and a sport where there is a plentiful supply of younger players ready to step up and take jobs. Owners have been planning this lockout for at least 2 years. I feel bad for the players because they don't have a particularly great labour deal and they're about to get worked over even worse.

I'm not too sure what the regulations are but maybe they should copy the London Underground staff and have rolling strikes. Having a strike during the first play-off week might piss off fans but it'll get to the owners.

Flames in 07
12-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Mostly posturing by the PA.

Players will put pressure on the union to get a deal done once the concept of lost checks gets closer to reality.

What I don't understand is that there is a huge opportunity for the union to take alot of money away from the early draft pics and distribute that to the vets, making the majority of the players better off. That and the awful 18 game schedule should give the players lots of room to find something that works for them.

SteveToms
12-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Guess it's time to put those communication degrees to use...

rubecube
12-04-2010, 01:42 PM

Players will put pressure on the union to get a deal done once the concept of lost checks gets closer to reality.

What I don't understand is that there is a huge opportunity for the union to take alot of money away from the early draft pics and distribute that to the vets, making the majority of the players better off. That and the awful 18 game schedule should give the players lots of room to find something that works for them.

Those are only two of the problems. The biggest problem is that the players want a larger portion of the league's revenue, which I can't say they don't deserve, especially when the owners want to up the number of regular season games.

The other issue is assistance for retired players. The PA thinks the owners should be chipping in on this, and the owners think it should be strictly funded by the PA. Again, I take the side of the players on this. The NFL pension is a joke when you consider what these guys put themselves through and how much money the owners are making.

Flames in 07
12-04-2010, 01:49 PM
ya long term benefits is an issue, your right.

I would say I think they get plenty of the pie, what they really need is some kind of contract certainty.

valo403
12-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Guess it's time to put those communication degrees to use...

Degrees??

calgaryrocks
12-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Degrees??

im guessing he meant the players, that many take communications degrees in university or something? the ones in the PA at least

mykalberta
12-06-2010, 11:50 AM

The owners want a bigger piece of the revenue pie - that is what this is about. The players offered to sign a 5 year extension to the current agreement and the owners said no.

I really hope that DeMaurice Smith has been telling the players to save money the day he got the Directors job from the patsy they had before. Some guys will run dry, hopefully enough can save their money to lock out the entire season.

rubecube
12-06-2010, 12:02 PM
The owners want a bigger piece of the revenue pie - that is what this is about. The players offered to sign a 5 year extension to the current agreement and the owners said no.

I really hope that DeMaurice Smith has been telling the players to save money the day he got the Directors job from the patsy they had before. Some guys will run dry, hopefully enough can save their money to lock out the entire season.

Agreed. This is one of the very few times I've been on a PA's side in a lockout situation.

EDIT: I still think a deal gets done in time for a season. No way NFL owners should want to kill the golden goose.

Sylvanfan
12-06-2010, 12:10 PM

The way I've heard it phrased is that owners are a bit ticked that they have to take the risk in financing improvements to stadiums or building new ones out of their own pocket to try and grow the revenue pool. Since they haven't been able to work over the tax payer to fund their billion dollar enterprise and had to spend their own money they've felt sorry for themselves.

Really in any other business if the owners want to grow their revenue pot, it is up to them to take the risks in financing ways to do so. The NFL isn't any different.

corporatejay
12-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Guess it's time to put those two years of communication studies to use...

fyp.

mykalberta
12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
The way I've heard it phrased is that owners are a bit ticked that they have to take the risk in financing improvements to stadiums or building new ones out of their own pocket to try and grow the revenue pool. Since they haven't been able to work over the tax payer to fund their billion dollar enterprise and had to spend their own money they've felt sorry for themselves.

Really in any other business if the owners want to grow their revenue pot, it is up to them to take the risks in financing ways to do so. The NFL isn't any different.

I think the Sadium issue is an odd issue. The PA recieves no value other than growing the revenue pool and yet the owners get a large increase to their teams net worth. Also from what I have heard concession and parking are not part of the revenue pool so why should the players have to fund something that doesnt help them.

If they are smart the players will lock out the season, its the only sport that my sympathy goes squarely with the players with no guaranteed contracts. There are alot of tweaks they could make to the rookie pay scale and such but to have the only league with non guaranteed contacts and yet the owners want more.

The one thing I would like to know is where to fines go, If James Harrison gets fined where does that money go, who is he paying? One day I would like to have a player challenge financial fines from sports leagues in court. I cant see how its legal.

rubecube
12-06-2010, 04:31 PM
The one thing I would like to know is where to fines go, If James Harrison gets fined where does that money go, who is he paying? One day I would like to have a player challenge financial fines from sports leagues in court. I cant see how its legal.

The fines go to various charities the NFL is associated with. I believe the player can also direct his fines to a charity of his own choosing.

valo403
12-06-2010, 04:45 PM

How so? It's part of a collectively bargained contract.

Sylvanfan
12-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I think the Sadium issue is an odd issue. The PA recieves no value other than growing the revenue pool and yet the owners get a large increase to their teams net worth. Also from what I have heard concession and parking are not part of the revenue pool so why should the players have to fund something that doesnt help them.

Yeah, the owners want to be able to give the players less of the revenue % to try and create greater revenues, but than shut them out from the increases in the value of the franchise. Than factor in that they are very unwilling to open their books to say just how much revenue they do make.

The old boys club is really fighting fair here.