PDA

View Full Version : Wheel balance question

Hemi-Cuda
11-05-2010, 09:23 PM
so last week i put the winter tires on my car that are on their own rims, and right away i noticed a bad vibration when driving (most notable at 90 km/h and anything below 50). this week i take the car to Kal-Tire to get the wheels rebalanced, but it made absolutely no difference. i started to think it was something else wrong like a warped rotor or something, but that doesn't make sense since i only noticed the vibration when the winter wheels were put on

could it be something else like a warped tire, or did Kal-Tire just screw up the rebalance?

BlackArcher101
11-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Most shops when they balance a tire will have the machine tell them where to put the weights. This also means it's only checking the balance by spinning it which essentially doesn't check for other tire/wheel issues.

The wheel/rim may be bent or the tire may have an irregularity, but these defects may not put a wheel out of balance, but still shake a tire (side to side instead of perpendicular to the axis).

What kind of shaking are you getting? Where do you feel it?

Pinner
11-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes,

Bad tire, and sometimes wheel weights fly off too, usually shortly after install. I've had both happen to me.

Hemi-Cuda
11-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Most shops when they balance a tire will have the machine tell them where to put the weights. This also means it's only checking the balance by spinning it which essentially doesn't check for other tire/wheel issues.

The wheel/rim may be bent or the tire may have an irregularity, but these defects may not put a wheel out of balance, but still shake a tire (side to side instead of perpendicular to the axis).

What kind of shaking are you getting? Where do you feel it?

it's at the front. i did notice a slight vibration last winter but as those tires would have been on the rear it make sense as to why i notice it now more. and it doesn't feel like a side to side vibration, when i'm driving below 50 i can clearly tell each rotation of the wheel because i can hear and feel it, like there's a really rough spot on the tire

Pinner
11-05-2010, 09:57 PM
i can clearly tell each rotation of the wheel because i can hear and feel it, like there's a really rough spot on the tire

This sounds serious,

zamler
11-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Does the tire have a bubble or deformed in some way? It might have a flaw on the inside where you can't see it. Or the tread itself might have a flat spot.

I'd take it somewhere else besides Kal-Tire, something like that should be very obvious to the tech when he/she does the balancing.

CaptainCrunch
11-05-2010, 10:52 PM
It sounds like your high beams are out of alignment. I can fix that for you but it will cost you.

DownhillGoat
11-05-2010, 11:00 PM
How were they stored over the summer? You may have a flat spot on the tire.

TylerSVT
11-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Check for flat spots/bulges on the tire and the sidewall.

Check to see if any of the wheel weights are missing.

Throw the summers back on, if the problem is still there.. its most likely your rotor.

Hemi-Cuda
11-06-2010, 03:04 AM
How were they stored over the summer? You may have a flat spot on the tire.

stacked on their side, i've done a visual inspection on each tire and can't see anything wrong. think i'll just try a different Kal-Tire branch and see if they can spot anything else. i don't want to take it to another tire shop because since i bought the tires at Kal-Tire, they'll do swaps and balancing for free

Bill Bumface
11-06-2010, 10:43 AM
A bent wheel will feel like this too.

pylon
11-06-2010, 03:00 PM
When you put them back on, if you over tourqued a nut, you may have warped a rotor. Did that exact thing last winter, and had the exact same symptoms.