PDA

View Full Version : The West Wing

FanIn80
11-01-2010, 12:33 AM
I know I'm about 200 years late to the party, but I just now got around to watching this series. All 7 seasons...

I honestly can't remember the last time I was this enthralled with a TV series. Not even my beloved House has managed to captivate me the way this show did. I literally went through the entire range of human emotions from season one to season seven.

The last few episodes of the final season were exceptionally hard to watch. From sheer elation to soul-crushing sadness, back to elation, back to... yeesh.

Anyway, such an amazing show. I can't for the life of me understand why I refused to watch it while it was on TV. I imagine it was back in my America-hating days, but holy cow did I ever miss out.

Some of my favourite scenes (well, at least from the ones available on YouTube):

ZQJ6yqQRAQs
HL_vHDjG5Wk
FScv89J6rro
xdpZwx18-50
21eaubatLGc
SHQrOz8wkEA
iUa_qWhQfig

I could go on and on and on with these...

Caged Great
11-01-2010, 12:46 AM
It's one of my absolute favourite shows.

I find it amusing that they modelled the character of Matt Santos after a young senator from Illinois who's now the President.

Draug
11-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Agreed ... I would go as far to rank season 1-4 as my personal favorite network-tv drama series. It is awesome. The writing is exceptional and is matched by the acting.

West Wing has pretty much put anything Sorkin is involved with as a must see for me.

I often lament the fact that Sports Night and Studio 60 had such short runs.

FanIn80
11-01-2010, 01:46 AM

Bradley Whitford and Matthew Perry were an awesome duo in Studio 60. Still pissed NBC cancelled the show after the first season. Same with Sports Night after only two seasons. Two shining examples that awards and critical acclaim mean nothing, if people don't tune-in to watch it.

silentsim
11-01-2010, 04:03 AM
You just found me a new show that I've never watched.

transplant99
11-01-2010, 04:20 AM
Agreed ... I would go as far to rank season 1-4 as my personal favorite network-tv drama series. It is awesome. The writing is exceptional and is matched by the acting.

West Wing has pretty much put anything Sorkin is involved with as a must see for me.

An understatement IMO. By far the most well-written series I have ever seen on TV and much better than most movies.

Martin Sheen was great, Stockard Channing wonderful in a limited role, and John Spencer (RIP) was the best of the bunch that included so many good actors.

No question one of the top series to ever be seen on American television.

SeeBass
11-01-2010, 07:48 AM
what I always enjoyed was the civics leason that was in the series.

I learned a lot from that show

the scene where the President is soaking wet, "Brothers in Arms" is the background music, and he is about to announce if he is going to run again was my favourite in the whole series. I think it was the episode after Two Cathedrals, scene you had. The whole episode builds the final scene. The way he ignores the softball question, hands in pockets, seeing the ghost.

QuadCityImages
11-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Also my favorite series of all time. I always wished real politicians would be like the ones on West Wing. I wanted Jed Bartlett for President...

CaptainCrunch
11-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Also my favorite series of all time. I always wished real politicians would be like the ones on West Wing. I wanted Jed Bartlett for President...

I'd have rather had the Martin Sheen president as depicted in the movie the dead zone myself.

That guy was the s%%t

SeeBass
11-01-2010, 09:13 AM

Like the time he shut down the goverment and the time he got the PLO and Israel to come to Camp David and then he bombed the camps even though the rest of the country was screaming at him.

FanIn80
11-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Like the time he shut down the goverment and the time he got the PLO and Israel to come to Camp David and then he bombed the camps even though the rest of the country was screaming at him.

Yeah, I loved that scene when he shut down the government!

FanIn80
11-01-2010, 10:49 AM
oyXHA7xiChc
uaUPDYXQUtw

Sample00
11-01-2010, 11:47 AM
this series and NYPD Blue are two of my all time favourite TV series.
Boston Legal comes in at a strong 3rd.
Love those shows. Some of the best writing TV has ever seen.

FanIn80
11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I forgot about the secret plan!

21UELSDw3_Y

Clever_Iggy
11-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Awesome. I've never seen the West Wing but had heard it was excellent. Once I'm fully caught up on Mad Men, I'll fire up West Wing.

csnarpy
11-01-2010, 09:22 PM
The West Wing was by far my favorite series I ever watched. I have never known a series where there wasn't one episode i wasn't enthralled by. I sure wished Rob Lowe hadn't left halfway through though.

SeeBass
11-01-2010, 10:24 PM
The West Wing was by far my favorite series I ever watched. I have never known a series where there wasn't one episode i wasn't enthralled by. I sure wished Rob Lowe hadn't left halfway through though.

I think he had to go (rumour) as he couldn't pull off the acting that was required as the somewhat bad guy that Will became when he helped the VP Buffalo Bob run for President.

Devils'Advocate
12-25-2010, 05:58 AM
Prompted by this thread, I started getting West Wing via Zip.ca. I can't stop watching it. I'll watch a whole disc in a day - and they are double sided!!

I'm now on season 2.... best scene thus far:
eD52OlkKfNs

QuadCityImages
01-10-2011, 06:56 PM
A recently applicable clip:
U_OtPc4dNyI

Kavvy
03-15-2015, 08:11 PM
Just started this show on Netflex..... still early season one.... into credits had "Nick Offerman"!

Two parks and rec vets on this show this episode!

Edit: And Nick mentions Banff!

nik-
03-15-2015, 09:38 PM
Odd timing ... I also just decided to start this tonight. Two episodes in and it's pretty good.

Finger Cookin
03-15-2015, 11:25 PM
The seasons with Sorkin still involved are so damn good. The ones after he left, less so - but still all right.