PDA

View Full Version : Calgary, Canada's Houston?

red '00
03-28-2005, 07:29 PM
I just read this, I think it's a pretty fair comparison. What with the oil and "cowboy" style both cities have. I just found this interesting, what do you think? Is Calgary Canada's version of Houston?

Bertuzzied
03-28-2005, 07:36 PM
ugh wasn't there this same thread about 6months ago? I lived in Houston and Calgary is a hundred billion times better than houston. I couldn't wait to get out of that Hell on Earth.

red '00
03-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Bertuzzied@Mar 28 2005, 07:36 PM
ugh wasn't there this same thread about 6months ago? I lived in Houston and Calgary is a hundred billion times better than houston. I couldn't wait to get out of that Hell on Earth.
Considering I have not been around for six months, I don't know.. :unsure:

habernac
03-28-2005, 07:58 PM
aren't we closer to Dallas? I don't hear good things from anyone who's been in Houston for any length of time.

red '00
03-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by habernac@Mar 28 2005, 07:58 PM
aren't we closer to Dallas? I don't hear good things from anyone who's been in Houston for any length of time.
I don't think so... I'm able to order food from a McDonald's drive-thru without having my rims stolen.

zarrell
03-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Of all the American cities I always thought Calgary was closest in comparison to Denver. They even had a news story on it on CFCN a year or so ago. Maybe it was even a week long story. Same geography, same growth problems, similar rapid transit systems, etc.

Mean Mr. Mustard
03-28-2005, 09:15 PM
I think that Denver and Calgary are actually considered sister cities so that might be the case when it comes to problems. But I do remember that piece on CFCN where calgary is a less advanced denver or something like that....

Sylvanfan
03-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Growth wise Calgary might be similar to Houston, and the fact that a lot of major energy company's have corporate offices in Calgary like they do in Houston. Still Houston also is the second largest port in the U.S. which is something that Calgary doesn't have. I would think economically Calgary would seem more like Dallas than it would Houston. Still as most Canadians know pretty much any city in Canada seems a lot safer than any similar city in the U.S. Geographically, yeah Denver probably is a good comparison.

4X4
03-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Mean Mr. Mustard@Mar 28 2005, 09:15 PM
I think that Denver and Calgary are actually considered sister cities so that might be the case when it comes to problems. But I do remember that piece on CFCN where calgary is a less advanced denver or something like that....
I thought Phoenix was our sister city... I could be wrong.

I don't know about the direct comparison between Calgary & Houston. A better comparison would be Alberta & Texas. Two major industries are oil & beef. Predominantly right winged. The only places where millionaires/billionaires wear boots & a stetson. Don't forget about all the rednecks... (yeah, yeah, who'll be the first to point out the redneck/right wing thing)

CaptainCrunch
03-28-2005, 11:01 PM
I think if your going to compare Calgary to a Texas city, Fort Worth would be more applicable. Dallas is getting kind of run down, and I did like Houston but it didn't have the same kind of vibe as Calgary.

Yup Fort Worth, home of the ever famous, ever going out of business Billy Bobs

Claeren
03-29-2005, 04:53 AM
I read the other day that Houstan is the last major city in America (and probably the first world) without zoning laws.

Calgary is a very centralized and 'specific-use zone' planned out city, so i am thinking that pretty much kills most municiple comparisons... Denver on the other hand...

Claeren.

Gugstanley
03-29-2005, 08:15 AM
Having traveled a lot I have been to Dallas, Houston, Denver, Phoenix and see little comparison. Calgary stands on its own as a unique city.

Go to an Astros game and you will see a lot of hot women.

Bottom line is Calgary has the Flames and nobody else does. Replacement Flames will rule the NHL

Looger
03-29-2005, 02:04 PM
never been to houston but i will say this:

i worked for (national) tilden rent-a-car downtown for a year, driving the courtesy shuttle quite a bit, and there are a LOT of texans here for oil business, all the time.

calgary has a cowboy past but a cowboy future as well.