PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NFL Regular Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

burn_baby_burn
09-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Its the most wonderful time of the year. NFL Kickoff begins this coming week.

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pagal4321
09-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Finally the off-season, training camp and the preseason are done. Some REAL game action starts in 6 days!!

burn_baby_burn
09-03-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm excited that the Chiefs will be on Monday Night Football for the first time in ages. However it stinks to have to wait till next Monday at 8pm to watch their first game.

Still at this point they are tied for the lead in the AFC West, the proudest division in all of sports.

Montana Moe
09-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Saints :)

Beerfest
09-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Lets go Packers.

Displaced Flames fan
09-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Brian Dawkins says BRING IT!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Brian_Dawkins.JPG

OILFAN #81
09-04-2010, 10:01 PM
COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets go INDY! Can't wait until a week from tomorrow.

Badabing
09-04-2010, 10:07 PM
BENGALS!
Can't wait to see Ochocinco/Johnson and Owens together in a real game.

KTown
09-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Its time for the Dolphins to take back the AFC East just like the 90s

nik-
09-05-2010, 10:02 AM
At least I have something to look forward to this year :(

http://www.fantasyfootballoasis.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/C.J.Spiller.jpg

Sylvanfan
09-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Well here goes my assessment on the Chiefs. They're still 1 year away from being able to threaten for the playoffs, and I think they still need 2 in order to legtimately challenge the Chargers as well as the other teams for the AFC West.

Offence:
Last year the Chiefs started the season dreadfully poor on the offensive side of the ball. Likely due to the fact that Todd Haley gassed Chan Gailey just prior to the end of training camp and tried to be OC and HC. The Chiefs offence was actually respectable in the second half as their sacks allowed were half of what it was in the first 8 games (15 in the final 8 vs 30 in the first 8). They had at least 220 yards in every game and went over 318 in 4 of the final 8 after being held to less than 220 total yards 4 times and only going over 305 once in the first 8 games.

For this year I look for the Cheifs to be one of the better running teams in the NFL. Their line seems to be a pretty good run blocking unit, and the tandem of Charles and Jones along with a few runs by Dexter McCluster should net them at least 2200 yards on the ground. The one thing that will impact their running is the fact that they'll likely be playing from behind a fair bit which will force them to throw the ball more than they'll like. If they are a team who run the ball a lot, I think that will mean they've won a lot more than anyone expected them to.

In terms of passing they're still a pretty weak unit. The line still isnt' great at pass protection, and the noodle armed Matt Cassel doesn't really scare NFL defences with the threat of the deep ball. Dwayne Bowe needs to get his head on straight and get back in the form he showed his first two years in the league. If he plays better, and if McCluster can be a shifty slot receiver and Charles can break a few out of the backfield the Chiefs may be able to put up 3500 yards through the air. Charlie Weiss despite his shortfalls at Notre Dame can still design a pretty good offence, and he'll know how to make use of what he has to work with.

Defence:
Again the Chiefs have gone to the vault of New England co-ordinators past to solve another woeful unit with Romeo Crennel. The Chiefs have spent a few early draft picks in the past 3 drafts in the secondary. The group of Eric Berry, Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr, Javier Arenas, and Kenny Williams have all come from those drafts. With a bit more experience I think this could develop into a real strength for the Chiefs. Certainly they'd benefit from having a beast like Jared Allen terrorizing QB's, but thanks to Carl Peterson they don't.

Which brings me to the front 7 which is the big questionmark. Glen Dorsey and Tyson Jackson were both high draft picks. Ends in a 3-4 defence don't usually put up much for stats, but they need to clog up the line and let the guys behind them make plays. So this is a make or break year for them as Dorsey is a 3rd year guy and Jackson is a second year guy, and both were outplayed by Wallace Gilberry last year. At linebacker, Tamba Hali is the only thing they have resembling a pass rush and he should still be the bookend of Jared Allen in a 4-3 if you ask me. Simply put without a great nose tackle, and playmaking Linebackers who are suited to be 3-4 backers this unit is a big time weakness.

Special Teams:

I think the Chiefs may be able to do quite well here and likely stick around a few games due to this. Dustin Colquitt is a very good punter (he gets a lot of chances to kick the ball), and Ryan Succop had a very good rookie season although his pre-season was pretty dicey. The additions of Javier Arenas and Dexter McCluster should give the Chiefs a return game again which has been lacking for the most part since 2004 when Dante Hall was still somewhat effective.

Overall:
The Chiefs have an easy schedule and play in a bad Division. But even with those benefits I can't see them being any better than 8-8 and 6-10 is my official prediction. They need to improve their front 7, and if Cassel doesn't get it done this year, they'll need to axe him and find a real QB.

In

transplant99
09-07-2010, 04:28 AM
Randy Moss whining yet again.

"When you have done so much and put so much work in, it kind of feels like I am not wanted,"

Says the guy that has stated he plays when he wants and has been seen leaving his team high and dry before the game ended.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5540944

PIMking
09-07-2010, 04:49 AM
I'm a chiefs fan ( I don't know how in the hell I'm a chiefs fan but meh) We suck ass and I'm not looking forward to the season. Nothing like wasting a draft pick on a safety and another 4 win season coming our way.

Sylvanfan
09-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Cory_Greenwood (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Finding-A-Way/7d378efc-5722-4119-92e3-561e71c01a1a) who was drafted 3rd overall by the Argo's in the CFL Canadian draft, got a free agent try out and made the Chiefs as a Special Teams guy. Not too often a guy goes directly from CIS to the NFL. Hopefully he can stick and continue to make an impression. Always good to see Canadian kids make the big league.

troutman
09-07-2010, 03:56 PM
SI Predictions:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/06/2010.predictions.1/index.html

Peter King thinks the Steelers will win the Superbowl (I'm not sure they will make the playoffs):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/09/07/mail/index.html

ESPN Power Rankings:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings?year=2010&week=1

troutman
09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
SI pundits playoff predictions:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/06/2010.predictions.2/index.html

I don't agree with all this Packer love. Good team, but not Superbowl material IMO.

rubecube
09-08-2010, 10:01 AM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/06/2010.predictions.2/index.html

I don't agree with all this Packer love. Good team, but not Superbowl material IMO.

Pretty much my opinion on the Cowboys as well.

Pagal4321
09-08-2010, 10:05 AM

Well it's the exact same thing as last year, all the pundits picked the Packers to dominate the NFC becuase they dominated the pre-season in 2009 as well.

I think they will win the division, but winning the Super Bowl is a bit ambitious.

transplant99
09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah I dont think the NFC can be handed to anyone at this point. I certainly understand why they are picking the Packers as all the pieces are there if it comes together, and lets face it they have the most potent offense in the division by a mile when you consider the personel issues the Vikes face all of a sudden.

As with every team in football though there are question marks, and IMO a big one on the Packers secondary. Two pro bowlers and then a bunch of ifs/maybes. I do think that Dom Capers 2nd year with these guys will releive some of the coverage issues however, but alot of that will have to do with how good the LB's are at getting to the QB.

The biggest problem with them last year was a horrid O line but when they got healthy they were quite good and they have everyone back this year and have suplemented it as well. So no concerns there at all unless injuries start to mount again. I do worry about a team that carries more FB's than RB's into a season as well...if Grant goes down, so does their running attack (which was vastly overlooked last year BTW).

I see the Pack as very very similar to the Saints of a year ago though, and would not be at all surprised if they stay relatively healthy to see them winning the NFC. I dont get any of the Dallas "love" other than the fact that their division will be a whole lot weaker than in years past which should translate into them winning it...but what i saw of their 1st team offense this pre-season should have them really nervous.

The Saints will be strong again, the Falcons should be better as well and the Vikes have the maestro back but a weaker team than last seasons end so who knows. Beyond that only SF and the Giants are teams that could be really strong but have large question marks around core areas.

To me, barring major injuries, the NFC comes down to NO, GB and Atlanta...from there its a coin flip and who gets home field through the PO's.

Bobblehead
09-08-2010, 12:14 PM
The SF Defense should be very strong. The only real soft spot they have on that side of the ball is at corner and if they can get to the QB like they were doing the last 4 games of last year then that makes the secondary look a whole lot better.

On the offensive side they should be better and get better as the season rolls along. They won't be prolific, but they should be better at controlling the ball. As the 1st rounders get better the line will have more confidence. Smith has already shown to make better reads under pressure but it remains to be seen if this still holds true in the regular season.

So I can see the Niners being a 10-6 team in the playoffs and scaring whomever they come up against.

Erick Estrada
09-08-2010, 12:21 PM

I believe I saw a prediction (Don Banks) for the Raiders to make the playoffs as a wildcard team.:D I'm not sure if I share his enthusiasm about the Raiders turning things around that much but I would be pretty disappointed if they finished behind the Chiefs or Broncos.

Cheese
09-08-2010, 12:28 PM
NFL Sucks...CFL rules!!!!:whistle:

rubecube
09-08-2010, 12:41 PM

I thought the three consecutive INTs on Labour Day pretty much summed the CFL up in a nutshell for me.

KTown
09-08-2010, 12:45 PM

So do you also agree that the

NHL Sucks, and the KHL rules!!!

I stay out of the pro CFL threads because of what I think about that game. You probably should stay out of our thread with comments like that.

Sylvanfan
09-08-2010, 12:46 PM
The SF Defense should be very strong. The only real soft spot they have on that side of the ball is at corner and if they can get to the QB like they were doing the last 4 games of last year then that makes the secondary look a whole lot better.

On the offensive side they should be better and get better as the season rolls along. They won't be prolific, but they should be better at controlling the ball. As the 1st rounders get better the line will have more confidence. Smith has already shown to make better reads under pressure but it remains to be seen if this still holds true in the regular season.

So I can see the Niners being a 10-6 team in the playoffs and scaring whomever they come up against.

There is a bit of a recent trend in the NFL where the team winning the Superbowl didn't make the playoffs the previous season. I really think the Niners can take advantage of a pretty suspect Division and post a good enough record to get some home playoff games. It's not much of a stretch to see the Niners being 6-0 against the NFC West, than add in the AFC West and they could be 9-1 without too much trouble. Find a way to split the other 6 games and that's a 12-4 record which should get you a bye in the playoffs, and from there who knows.

The Niners and Steelers would be my two non-playoff teams from last year most likely to win the Superbowl. In the case of the Steelers, getting Roethlisberger's suspension reduced to 4 games is huge. That coud mean the difference between a 2-2 start verses a 2-4 start. Even a 1-3 start is better than 2-4 because you still have a couple extra weeks to get on the right track and rack up some wins.

browna
09-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I may be biased a little, but also critical of the team too...with that being said I don't think the NFC West should be handed to SF either, and that SEA has a decent chance.

SEA has the second easiest schedule in the league, and still the main core (even though half the roster has changed) from last year, where, even after all the debalces, were a couple key last minute losses away from being within striking distance of the Niners at the end.

All the turnover may factor in to things this year, but I think SEA has a legitimate shot in the weakest division, of going 9-7 with their schedule. Carroll has brought a lot of positivity and energy, something also lacking the past few years.

As always, rests on the QB position. FINALLY, for the first time since Trent Dilfer left,there's a backup that has the confidence of the coach in Whitehurst. Thus if Hasslebeck starts up with his horrible decision making and throwing rainbows to no-one (and then throwing his hands up in confusion) as he has done since Superbowl XL, he will get yanked. No longer does he have the coach (Mora) to coddle him, and his "give me a 5 minute break to think first about yelling at me, plus you can't pull me because Seneca Wallace is the useless backup Mike Holmgren" routine won't fly with Carroll.

There are question marks about the running game still in order to have a balanced attack, and the need for a WR to emerge from the pack as a go to guy, but defense is young from up front and at LB and in the secondary, and going to get better, and ST are pretty good for Seattle.

Again, in the NFC West, there are question marks everywhere on each team, and, with them having such a light schedule, they wil lplay a lot of teams that aren't complete teams either, so its not out of the realm to have SEA right there, assuming Hasslebeck plays at a solid, consistent, mistake free level, and has a few guys make plays for him.

Big game to start...beat SF Week 1 and they're setup, IMO, to control their divsion title hopes early.

Sylvanfan
09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I thought the three consecutive INTs on Labour Day pretty much summed the CFL up in a nutshell for me.

I think he's saying that to get a rise out of people and shouldn't be taken seriously. In the CFL you get guys retiring to become an Insurance Adjuster so they can make some real money (my dad was an adjuster for 20 years hardly a lavish living). It's like those Senior Mens hockey leagues where a big time sponsor pays a couple ringers to play with the rest of the average joes who are getting beer and gas money.

troutman
09-08-2010, 12:50 PM

Not this again. In three down football the ball is put at risk much more than the NFL. There will be more turn-overs. More pass plays, more plays overall (the clock does not run down as much as the NFL). It is very rare to see three in a row, even in the CFL.

I enjoy both leagues.

Clever_Iggy
09-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Not this again. In three down football the ball is put at risk much more than the NFL. There will be more turn-overs. More pass plays, more plays overall (the clock does not run down as much as the NFL). It is very rare to see three in a row, even in the CFL.

I enjoy both leagues.

No, you have to pick a league and completely discredit and criticize the other. Oh, and go into the other league's thread and take a few shots to get the CFL v. NFL debate reignited in case any arguments on either side haven't been flushed out yet.

Erick Estrada
09-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I may be biased a little, but also critical of the team too...with that being said I don't think the NFC West should be handed to SF either, and that SEA has a decent chance.

Honestly I don't think the Hawks are going to be very good at all this year. Say what you want about Houzmanzada but who's going to pick up his production and Hasselbeck's days of being a quality starter are over. Better hope Whitehurst is ready because he will play this year.

IMO the AFC & NFC West divisions have such bad and mediocre teams that you can almost pencil in the titles to the Niners & Chargers.

Bobblehead
09-08-2010, 03:45 PM
It looks like someone tried to impersonate Michael Crabtree on twitter:

MaioccoCSN
RT @Crab15 can you please verify me account? what are the steps I need to take? > For one, I'd say stop Tweeting DURING 49ers practice.

OILFAN #81
09-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Please. That is like comparing the NHL to the AJHL. NFL is heads and shoulders way better then the CFL. The biggest thing is that the players are way better. Take my Colts for example. They signed the CFL Defensive Player of the year John Chick and he couldn't make the roster so he is on the practice roster (where he will still be making $120,000). More talent all around in the NFL and it's not even close.

PeteLFan
09-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Please. That is like comparing the NHL to the AJHL. NFL is heads and shoulders way better then the CFL. The biggest thing is that the players are way better. Take my Colts for example. They signed the CFL Defensive Player of the year John Chick and he couldn't make the roster so he is on the practice roster (where he will still be making $120,000). More talent all around in the NFL and it's not even close.

What a load of crap, the NFL is picking from a better talent pool in the NCAA. A lot of those same players are playing in the CFL, its not like we have a bunch of nobody hacks playing. You use one example of the Colts, what about the other defensive player of the year Cameron Wake? Hes taking Jason Taylors job, but the CFL is a talentless league with junk.

Clever_Iggy
09-08-2010, 05:13 PM
What a load of crap, the NFL is picking from a better talent pool in the NCAA. A lot of those same players are playing in the CFL, its not like we have a bunch of nobody hacks playing. You use one example of the Colts, what about the other defensive player of the year Cameron Wake? Hes taking Jason Taylors job, but the CFL is a talentless league with junk.

Good. Use original and ground breaking arguments. Let the hate flow through you.

OILFAN #81
09-08-2010, 05:16 PM

Of course there are still some good players in the CFL. I was saying that the NFL players as a whole have a lot more talent then the CFL players as a whole do which is why I like one league and not the other (didn't say anything about the reason as to why one has more talent over the other, access to NCAA, etc).

But yeah, this is an NFL thread so lets stay on topic and talk about the better league, the NFL.

PeteLFan
09-08-2010, 05:16 PM
What about 1st round picks like Lawerence Phillips, great player he is, couldnt even make a team in the CFL. Now he is in jail somewhere making Lil Wayne his boyfriend.

PeteLFan
09-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Back to the NFL, Samuel Bradford looked great in pre season, with the loss of Avery, and the acquisition of Clayton hopefully he can put up some numbers.

Don't understand picking Jason Smith 2nd overall, and then make him the right tackle. Hes being top dollar for the right side. The argument is that he is a better run grader, and the Rams run to the right side. I hope the line holds up, as Marc Bulger was molested on every play.

Sainters7
09-08-2010, 05:32 PM
What about 1st round picks like Lawerence Phillips, great player he is, couldnt even make a team in the CFL. Now he is in jail somewhere making Lil Wayne his boyfriend.

What do you mean? He was great in Montreal his first year up here. Didn't he lead the league in rushing that year? I think he could've been decent in Calgary too if we had a team around him back then. It was during the Feterik circus days when the team was a joke. I remember watching him take a hand-off, immediately get swallowed up in the backfield because we had no OL to speak of, do his patented spin and a couple jukes to break a couple tackles & get back to the LOS, and then eventually get brought down. His problem up here wasn't skill, but rather the same reason he couldn't stick in the NFL(and the reason he's in jail now): attitude.

And since its an NFL thread, one more day baby!! I can't wait to see unky Favre digging his ass out of the grass every 3rd play. Let's get it!

Jesse834
09-08-2010, 05:46 PM
What do you mean? He was great in Montreal his first year up here. Didn't he lead the league in rushing that year? I think he could've been decent in Calgary too if we had a team around him back then. It was during the Feterik circus days when the team was a joke. I remember watching him take a hand-off, immediately get swallowed up in the backfield because we had no OL to speak of, do his patented spin and a couple jukes to break a couple tackles & get back to the LOS, and then eventually get brought down. His problem up here wasn't skill, but rather the same reason he couldn't stick in the NFL(and the reason he's in jail now): attitude.

And since its an NFL thread, one more day baby!! I can't wait to see unky Favre digging his ass out of the grass every 3rd play. Let's get it!

According to CFL.ca John Avery lead the league in rushing in 02. But I won't trust that site.

OILFAN #81
09-08-2010, 05:47 PM

Think you guys will be in Dallas for the big show again this year? Seems that people are giving 4 teams a shot from the NFC: Saints, Packers, Vikings, Cowboys.

Jesse834
09-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Think you guys will be in Dallas for the big show again this year? Seems that people are giving 4 teams a shot from the NFC: Saints, Packers, Vikings, Cowboys.

I don't get the love for the Cowgirls.

Sainters7
09-08-2010, 06:27 PM
OILFAN: First the negatives: I'm concerned with our front seven, and namely their ability to shut down the run. DT and OLB are weak points on the Saints, and frankly I'm surprised Payton didn't do more in the off-season to address these positions, especially OLB once Fujita signed in Cleveland. Jonathan Casillas was slated to take over the spot but is now on the IR after that final pre-season game against Tennessee. Teams were able to run on us decently last year(including Addai in the Super Bowl as I'm sure you remember), and I don't see how it'll be any different this year.

Also, with Sharper's injury and thus being replaced by 2nd year man(and first year converted S from CB) Malcolm Jenkins, there's definitely going to be a drop there. I have all the confidence in the word in Jenkins becoming a good S, but becoming one and being one now are 2 different things. Sharper helped us close out a lot of tight games last year with timely picks, so that's definitely going to hurt without him there(for the record though, as a whole I LOVE our secondary. Young, deep, and talented).

That aside, at the end of the day the Saints are essentially bringing back their entire starting roster from last year, so you've gotta like their chances. With Lance Moore finally healthy, Meachem finally finding his way the latter half of last year, TE Jimmy Graham drafted in the 4th round, and IMO a very underrated weapon in Heath Evans at FB back and healthy(Brees used him a lot at the start of last year before he went down. I felt it took away a big dimension in our offense when he couldn't sling it to the FB anymore when he got in trouble), this offence could legitimately be even better than last year's.

The Saints have holes like any other team, but I think they've got as good a shot as any to get to Dallas. Looking at the NFC, I still have to list the Saints as the favourites.

PS- The Saints: America's Game premieres tonight at 7pm on NFL Network. That'll definitely get me primed for tomorrow.

OILFAN #81
09-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Dolphin fans......Joe Reitz. What are your thoughts on him? Indy just claimed him from the Dolphins. Indy put Tony Ugoh on waivers just prior to that move.

Jesse834
09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Dolphin fans......Joe Reitz. What are your thoughts on him? Indy just claimed him from the Dolphins. Indy put Tony Ugoh on waivers just prior to that move.

OILFAN#81 Reitz was with the Dolphins for three days. He was with Baltimore for three years. That's beside the point but he is a very athletic kid. Baltimore signed him original as a TE due to his athleticism.

Displaced Flames fan
09-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Honestly I don't think the Hawks are going to be very good at all this year. Say what you want about Houzmanzada but who's going to pick up his production and Hasselbeck's days of being a quality starter are over. Better hope Whitehurst is ready because he will play this year.

IMO the AFC & NFC West divisions have such bad and mediocre teams that you can almost pencil in the titles to the Niners & Chargers.

Deon Butler. Kids a stud.

burn_baby_burn
09-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Happy NFL Kickoff 2010 everyone.

Most of you have probably heard the news, Tom Brady was in a fender bender this morning on his way to practice. Apparently he is fine and is at the Patriots practice facility going through his normal work day.

Any thoughts on Americas Game last night? Awesome episode as always. It really brings a smile to my face to see the Lombardi Trophy being presented. The emotion of the players and the coaches is really special.

transplant99
09-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Anyone else think that the Saints are going to smoke the Vikes tonight?

Not sure why I think this...just a feeling I have as the game gets nearer.

PeteLFan
09-09-2010, 09:28 AM

Yup, I think the Saints are out too prove it was not a one time thing, and they want too repeat. Beating teh crap out of the Vikes tonight will show they are indeed going to be a threat all season long.

burn_baby_burn
09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Not to take anything away from the Saints Super Bowl victory, but the Vikings basically handed the NFC Championship to the Saints. Between Adrian Peterson fumbles and a horrible interception by Favre at the end (saw that again on America's Game last night, what the hell was he thinking?) the Vikings basically shot themselves in the foot.

It is a whole new season though. Anything can happen.

troutman
09-09-2010, 09:42 AM

I think many are seriously under-rating the Vikes. They outplayed the Saints last year. Why should they decline that much?

Clever_Iggy
09-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I think many are seriously under-rating the Vikes. They outplayed the Saints last year. Why should they decline that much?

No Sidney Rice, no Chester Taylor pass blocking on 3rd down, Percy Harvin is minute-to-minute with migraines, Favre's body is one year older.

transplant99
09-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Why should they decline that much?

No Sydney Rice or Chester Taylor is one thing. A questionable Percy Harvin and Favre needs to be as good as last year which I have no doubt he can be, but will he be? Peterson needs to fix his fumbling issues as well though he is still a top 3 RB in the game.

On defense they will stuff the run all game long again, but as with last year can they stop QB's from lighting them up? I dunno, a lot went right for them last year and ceratinly could again, and with #4 magic seems to happen alot so maybe they will repeat...I just dont see them being as strong as last year for whatever reasons.

corporatejay
09-09-2010, 10:17 AM

Favre's ankle is at 80% and he's a year older.
Sidney Rice is out for appx. half the season
Percy Harvin has migrains and will be a game day decision until they clear up because the medical staff can't prevent or predict them.

Pagal4321
09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
This freaking team has no healthy cornerbacks!!!

I'm so god damn confused! You are playing the "pass happy" Saints in Week 1 and you have 3 healthy CBs....THREE! You can maybe go to 4, if by some miracle, Griffin is ready to play after tearing his ACL in the NFC Championship game.

The Saints should be able to expose this pass defense all night tonight.

dissentowner
09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
It begins tonight! Saints 38-Vikings 17

Jesse834
09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Any thoughts on Americas Game last night?

Did I hear that right or was I hearing things. Did Brad Pitt say Drew Brees was an Indiana Hoosier? Another then that great as usual.

Sylvanfan
09-09-2010, 12:12 PM
For me I pick the Saints because I don't think Farve is going to be in top form yet whereas that Saint offence will be. The past couple of years Farve didn't have the toughest week one matchups and didn't have to do much to win the game for his team, hence allowing himself a week or two to ease into the season. Granted he knows his team this time and the offence. I still think he's pretty beat up from that NFC Championship game and that the Vikings will need him to have a big game.

As I say, if this is a week 9 game in Minnesota I'd be leaning towards the Vikings and not be all that confident picking the game. But prime time in New Orleans with the Saints defending I think they'll be coming out gang busters. If the Vikings win this game, they'll be full marks.

browna
09-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Deon Butler. Kids a stud.

He'll be there, but has to step up and get his nose a bit dirtier. Would be nice if the other Deon would be anywhere near the player they got when they gave up so much for him a few years back.

I think TJ had only 3 TD's last year and under 1000 yards, so not hard for one or a group of the new crew to take that over and exceed that.

As for tonight...yeah for all the hype about the rematch, I don't think this one's close.

Lil Pedro
09-09-2010, 12:34 PM
This is San Diegos year!

transplant99
09-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Did I hear that right or was I hearing things. Did Brad Pitt say Drew Brees was an Indiana Hoosier? Another then that great as usual.

Nope...Brees went Purdue.

Jesse834
09-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I love what Ray Lewis said because it is true. http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/09/ray_lewis_on_jets_if_youre_the_miami_heat_we_got_t o_be_the_l.html#more

"I’m going to be very careful with this, we’re talking about the Jets like we’re talking about the Saints," Lewis said. "That’s the Super Bowl champs. Until they play tonight, that’s the only people that can be dethroned. Drew Brees and the Saints, not Mark Sanchez and the Jets. All of this ‘We’re the Miami Heat of football.’ If you’re the Miami Heat, we got to be the Lakers and multiple rings."

Displaced Flames fan
09-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Ryan Clady isn't even listed on the Broncos injury report and will start at left tackle in Jacksonville on Sunday.

I never would have believed that was possible in April. It's HUGE.

Pagal4321
09-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Vilma, Porter and Hargrove will play tonight for the Saints.

Looks like Sullivan will start at C too. Thank god.

Pagal4321
09-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Inactives tonight: QB J. Webb (3rd QB), CB C. Griffin, CB C. Cook, RB T. Gerhart, G C. DeGeare, DT J. Kennedy, TE M. Shuler, & DE E. Griffen

So what....3 healthy corners, with the only other player with CB experience starting at saftey?!

Winfield, Sheppard, Allen are the only three healthy CBs.

Ohhhhh fata.

Displaced Flames fan
09-09-2010, 05:21 PM
What do you think of Cook so far Pagal? He's looked pretty good to me. Big kid for a corner too.

Pagal4321
09-09-2010, 05:25 PM
What do you think of Cook so far Pagal? He's looked pretty good to me. Big kid for a corner too.

Really like him and hearing that he is playing very very well. Had he not injured his knee, he would have been starting opposite of Winfield tonight!

It'll be great when Cook comes back and Griffen is back!

Machiavelli
09-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I was excited until this downer of an anthem.

Displaced Flames fan
09-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Peterson looks great.

Displaced Flames fan
09-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Two perfect strikes from Favre to Shiancoe and the Vikings are 27 seconds away from taking a two point lead into half time. Great game so far.

troutman
09-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Vikings are keeping Brees off the field. If they protect the ball in the 2nd half, they should win.

Jesse834
09-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Something about Peter King drives me crazy.

Displaced Flames fan
09-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Brady extension done after his life flashes before his eyes this morning.

Saint Troy
09-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Saints missed the ko punch early, and have got themselves in a serious dogfight now. Trying to figure out why the Saints aren't attacking vertically, too much dink n' dunk stuff, but good game plan on the Vikes part thus far.

transplant99
09-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Yeah i dont understand why they arent throwing out 4 wide and just letting Brees sling all over the place...obviously they have no intention of running at all so you might as well give the QB as many options to throw as possible.

transplant99
09-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Go figure...the second I post that they start ramming it down the Vikes middle with about 6 runs in a row.

So for my next act....they will run the ball short all night now

Saint Troy
09-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Brees needs to loosen up the underneath routes, throw one over the top, complete or not.

Saint Troy
09-09-2010, 09:04 PM
I think the kicker just lost that game. %#*+

Displaced Flames fan
09-09-2010, 09:07 PM
The Vikings aren't running enough.

dissentowner
09-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I think the kicker just lost that game. %#*+

I think we are safe now. :) Stupid kicker!

Machiavelli
09-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Meh...not a great game.

Saint Troy
09-09-2010, 09:26 PM
:)Meh...not a great game.

Actually pretty compelling when your team is involved, both defenses were good, the Saints run d got it done in the end. Stupid kicker.

troutman
09-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Interesting game (or unexpected at least).

MIN lost it in the second half by not stopping the run (normally a strength) and bad penalties. I thought MIN's challenge should have been upheld - never saw the ball touch the ground, and it cost them a time out.

NO's left guard is impressive. Saints only had 3 penalties - impressive for week one.

Saint Troy
09-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Interesting game (or unexpected at least).

MIN lost it in the second half by not stopping the run (normally a strength) and bad penalties. I thought MIN's challenge should have been upheld - never saw the ball touch the ground, and it cost them a time out.

NO's left guard is impressive.

Really? I thought it was pretty apparent that after it bounced off his hands, the ball hit his body then the ground. Yes Carl Nicks is a large and angry human, still not sure why the Saints didn't attack deep more, but a win is a win, especially against that team.

SportsJunky
09-09-2010, 09:47 PM
I thought after the Meachem drop in the endzone and then the missed field goal that the Vikings were destined for a late comeback. My hopes were dashed but I think they will be alright once the WRs get on the same page with Favre. Hated to see McKinnie carted off.

Trojan97
09-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Favre looked brutal in the second half (all I saw), where the hell was Bernard Berrian in their offence? what happened to him as the #1 option?

Montana Moe
09-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Tracy Porter is a Hoosier, maybe there was some confusion as to who was being talked about?

Oh, and I'll take the "W" however it comes!

The two TD drives were beautiful. Pierre Thomas looks motivated this season. I can't explain Hartley, the kid was money at the end of last season.

zarrell
09-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Favre looked brutal in the second half (all I saw), where the hell was Bernard Berrian in their offence? what happened to him as the #1 option?

Berrian is looking pretty useless out there. Camarillo should be getting the start next week. I was pretty worried about the defense after the Saints' first possession, but they really got it together after that. Just need Griffin back.

GirlySports
09-09-2010, 10:57 PM
I liked how NO got the first downs to kill the game off with 5 minutes to go. That's what World Champions do. They even threw some short passes. Often coaches are so scared that they run the ball 3 times into a pile and punt. Then we would have seen the great Brett Favre comeback!

Not too bad of a game considering it's the first one of the season.

Montana Moe
09-09-2010, 11:10 PM
And so it begins...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x277/ARFF406/childress.jpg

browna
09-10-2010, 12:37 AM
So do we get to see each teams players this week (or, goodness forbid, all season) do the "PA solidarity salute" before each game?

Bleh.

Reminded me of the Nation of Domination WWF faction, circa 1999.

troutman
09-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Scott Taylor on Fan 960 is complaining about the officiating last night? "Phantom holding calls", "blown challenge". What do other Vike fans think? NO only had 3 penalties. He calls it all "fishy".

troutman
09-10-2010, 08:56 AM
I liked how NO got the first downs to kill the game off with 5 minutes to go. That's what World Champions do. They even threw some short passes. Often coaches are so scared that they run the ball 3 times into a pile and punt. Then we would have seen the great Brett Favre comeback!

Not too bad of a game considering it's the first one of the season.

Pet peeve - NFL teams calling themselves World Champions, when no one else in the world plays this brand of football. Superbowl Champion is just fine. Same goes for MLB and NBA.

GirlySports
09-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Pet peeve - NFL teams calling themselves World Champions, when no one else in the world plays this brand of football. Superbowl Champion is just fine. Same goes for MLB and NBA.

True.. although for some reason in the NFL I don't mind it as much, I use it sometimes myself cause it sounds good.

Totally agree that in MLB and NBA it's dumb. Especially cause they really do have a World Champion. (Japan and Spain respectively)

Pagal4321
09-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Scott Taylor on Fan 960 is complaining about the officiating last night? "Phantom holding calls", "blown challenge". What do other Vike fans think? NO only had 3 penalties. He calls it all "fishy".

I think Vilma should have gotten a flag on the interception play, as he was all over Schiancoe.

As for the Camarillo challenge, I thought it would get reversed, but clearly not enough evidence to suggest it wasn't an incomplete pass.

Other then that, I didn't see much that I could complain about....outside of that sputtering offense!

transplant99
09-10-2010, 10:11 AM
The officiating was just fine IMO. Better than a field littered with orange hankies all game long. I like it when they let players play.

The "blown challenge" is nothing short of sour grapes IMO...there was nothing there to reverse the call on the field. the Vilma/Schiancoe thing was borderline...but if that is all there was to complain about I hope that crew does the Superbowl!

burn_baby_burn
09-10-2010, 11:22 AM

MLB is World Series Champions, not World Champions. The World Series is over 100 years old. 100 years ago, there was only the American and National leagues in professional baseball world wide. Sure things have changed since, however most people realize that the World Series is the series between the National and American League. It is a century old term for the series.

troutman
09-10-2010, 02:03 PM
MLB is World Series Champions, not World Champions. The World Series is over 100 years old. 100 years ago, there was only the American and National leagues in professional baseball world wide. Sure things have changed since, however most people realize that the World Series is the series between the National and American League. It is a century old term for the series.

We all know that. Some people still use the term World Champions when talking about the World Series winner.

Ex.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=htwhdwmjakip2e00ryjr

Jesse834
09-11-2010, 10:24 AM
What does everyone think of Berman kicking off the season with the mustache?
http://cdn.nextround.net/upcoming/thumbs/2010/09/09/Chris-Berman-Kicking-Off-NFL-Season-With-Mustache-Rides.jpg

Sainters7
09-11-2010, 10:53 AM
^^^
Hahaha I forgot all about that! I saw that last night when I was drunk after coming home from the Stamps game, I laughed so hard when I saw it. I actually think it kinda suits him, will take some getting used to though. Anyone for a mustache ride?

Machiavelli
09-11-2010, 12:11 PM
He looks totally different!

Saint Troy
09-11-2010, 01:10 PM

I heard that driving, good meltdown and he even dropped that the league fixed the game. He is a big Vikings Homer, and listening to that crap makes the win all the sweeter. He should ask EJ Henderson if he feels silly breaking his femur last season, when the game was fixed all along.

Saint Troy
09-11-2010, 01:12 PM
What does everyone think of Berman kicking off the season with the mustache?
http://cdn.nextround.net/upcoming/thumbs/2010/09/09/Chris-Berman-Kicking-Off-NFL-Season-With-Mustache-Rides.jpg

Badass!

Flickered Flame
09-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Schefter reporting that the 49ers have given Vernon Davis a 5 year extension making him the highest paid TE in football. 23 mill guaranteed, 37 mill in total.

Bobblehead
09-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Schefter reporting that the 49ers have given Vernon Davis a 5 year extension making him the highest paid TE in football. 23 mill guaranteed, 37 mill in total.
Confirmed by the Niner beat writers.

A lot of money but he has really become a great player since Singletary kicked him to the locker room a couple seasons ago. Davis has always been a crazy hard worker but when he came into the league he was a lose cannon. Since that moment he has done exactly what was told, has become a captain and is both a blocking and receiving threat.

KTown
09-11-2010, 03:26 PM
I heard that driving, good meltdown and he even dropped that the league fixed the game. He is a big Vikings Homer, and listening to that crap makes the win all the sweeter. He should ask EJ Henderson if he feels silly breaking his femur last season, when the game was fixed all along.

I am impartial for both teams. So my opinion comes from a casual fan.

I agree with him on the blown call of the challenge. That was clearly a catch.

As per the penalty calls lots are missed good teams deal with them, it goes both ways.

OILFAN #81
09-11-2010, 03:35 PM
So excited for tomorrow morning. It is the toughest game before the bye week in week 7. A win tomorrow would go a long way in going 6-0 before the bye week. A lot of pressure will be on the Houston defense to get to Manning with Saturday and Johnson possibly out. I think Collie will have a big game. Should go down to the 4th quarter. Interesting that Gonzo might be the punt returner! GO INDY!

transplant99
09-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Been a long time since i have been nervous about a Packer season but here I am doing just that.

There are a LOT of expectations on this team this year, and being so young I fear it may hurt them especially early on. They need a good start against the Eagles and chances are they get it with the Eagles starting 3 new O-linemen and the defense giving up so many pass TD's last year....should be a win. Should being the key word as Philly can get to the QB and the Packers have to prove for real they have figured out how to keep Rodgers upright and Rodgers has to prove he can stop holding onto the ball so bloody long....a bad combo if not fixed.

Its gonna be a high scoring game IMO if Kolb has it figured out as a young guy who has the weight of a brutal fanbase on his shoulders. Again another big question mark.

37-33 packers.

And i am somewhat expecting the Texans to finally get the Manning monkey off their backs today. I think they have a big season.

No idea what to expect from that Cowboys/Skins game though...so many story lines going on there.

I think the most interesting game today is the Bengals/Patriots matchup. Is Cincy for real? Is Moss going to play like a guy in a contract year? Will they miss Mankins as much as i think they will. Can the Pats D step up even with all their inexperience and can palmer and Co. take advantage of them?

What does Denver hold...i have no idea what to think about them. Could be real good and could be real bad. I sort of think the same thing about the Browns...Holmgren can be magic at times.

I will shut up now.

Flickered Flame
09-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Tranny, you really think the Eagles will put up that many points on the Pack? I don't think that game is even going to be close.

I've up been up since 6:30 mtn watching NFL network, just flipped over to TSN for NFL Countdown. Really nervous about the Fins in Buffalo today. Its a game they should win but they have had no luck in Buffalo. Not too mention, the Fins didn't exactly look very good in preseason. Although they didn't showcase very much offensively or defensively. I think the Fins will win but it will come down to a play or 2 in the 4th qtr. to get it done.

KTown
09-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Gameday finally!!!!

Wife and kid gone for the day - Check (Allthough I can't wait till my boy is old enough to watch the games with me)
Dolphins Jersey on - Check
Bacon and Eggs for Breaky - Check
Beer in the fridge - Check
Snacks ready - Check
Dolphins Victory - ?????

Displaced Flames fan
09-12-2010, 10:00 AM
It will be interesting for me to see how much opportunity McDaniels gives to Tim Tebow today playing in his hometown. I don't think he will play nearly as much this season as most people think. This IS Kyle Orton's team. However, there is little doubt in my mind that he will have opportunity to score today because of the situation.

Would love to see Demaryius THomas get some snaps in without hurting his foot. Nervous about that kid.

Great to have Clady back and especially important since the underappreciated Ryan Harris is out on the right side today. Denver backs are going to have to be active in the pocket.

I do think the Broncos will surprise this year.

Luder
09-12-2010, 10:07 AM
w00t!

Let's Go Titans!!

Displaced Flames fan
09-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Well, there will be no injured foot for Demaryius Thomas today since he isn't playing. Tebow is the backup today, which I obviously expected. Dexter McCluster is doubtful for tomorrow night which sucks. Makes that game somewhat less interesting as he is a treat!

Excited for the Montana boys playing today.

Marc Mariani-Tennessee
Lex Hilliard-Miami
Dan Carpenter-Miami
Kroy Biermann-Atlanta
Cory Procter-Miami
Shann Schillinger-Atlanta

HOOT
09-12-2010, 10:26 AM
I could barely sleep last night I was so excited for this morning. I'm pretty excited to give NFL Red Zone a test drive tonight. From the things I have seen and read it looks like I won't be leaving my couch all day today.

transplant99
09-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Tranny, you really think the Eagles will put up that many points on the Pack? I don't think that game is even going to be close.

You know what? I havent a freaking clue. I do know that the Eagles have some superb talent on O and the last Packers game i watched against a team with such athletes...they scored 45 and lost.

I am hopeful that Capers 2nd year makes a difference for the D and they make a progression I think they have the ability to do. IF that happens I think they are NFC favorites, but I am not sure it will. If they dont get it and are unable to pressure Kolb repeatedly, they are going to miss Harris big time. The C and S position are a couple huge question marks (aside from Collins and Woodson)and the special teams have been anything but... and that is where Desean jackson could do some damage today with returns that have philly with short fields or even scoring himself.

GB will score...no question, its just how many they give up.

Im really curious/anxious to see how it all plays out.

OILFAN #81
09-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Game on! Got the Colts jersey on and am ready to go! Lets go INDY! I think this will be the toughest game before the bye week in week 7. Should go down to the wire.

transplant99
09-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Cutler picking up where he left off last year.

3/5 and a Int. Down 7-3 to the Lions.

rubecube
09-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Only Oakland could get a delay of game penalty after calling a timeout. So much for the big changes in Raiderland this year. I'm picking another 4-12 season for them. Chris Johnson with 112 yards and a TD already in the first half.

atb
09-12-2010, 01:15 PM
My sure loser, Detroit, and sure winner, NYG, picks are looking a little bit sketchy. Going out on both those in week 1 would friggin suck.

Displaced Flames fan
09-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Denver and Jacksonville are suspended due to lightning.

Begining of the 4th quarter and Jacksonville leads 17-14. A lot more defense in this game than I expected.

rubecube
09-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Lovie Smith proving once again why he is the worst coach in the league.

Flickered Flame
09-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Ugh. Terrible, terrible coverage by the Fins on a 4th and 11 for Buffalo. Edwards hits a wide open Parrish. 13-10 Fins with about 5 minutes to go.

LIP MAN
09-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Wow, my Lions lose Stafford to a shoulder injury (for the day I hope...UGGGGGHH) Our backup looks like he hasn't taken many snaps, with a 2nd year guy in I imagine hes taken very few. Which I believe he hasn't, but our D looks great so far wow! We've managed to keep a one point lead for an entire half so far. Come on Lions let's do this.

atb
09-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Wow this will be bizzare if this is called incomplete for Detroit

zarrell
09-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Terrible call in the Lions/Bears game. That was a TD and the refs took that win away from the Lions. Brutal.

OILFAN #81
09-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Congrats to Houston on winning the game 34-24. Manning threw for over 400 yards and had 3 TD's, but the defense was absolutely horrible vs the Houston running game (credit to Foster as well on a monster day). Looking forward to facing the Giants next week.

Houston could easily take the wildcard spot this year.

Flickered Flame
09-12-2010, 02:25 PM
The Lions got robbed. What a weird call by Gailey and the Bills. On 4th and 10 from their own goal line with less than 2 minutes to go, they decide to punt only to snap the ball right through the end zone to make 15-10 Miami. Did they really think they were going to recover an onside kick after conceding the safety? Just a weird call imo.

Clever_Iggy
09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Looking sharp Oakland. Your run defense is the only thing you have in common with the Colts. Sigh... 13 points.

KTown
09-12-2010, 02:28 PM
A win for my fish on opening week-end on the road.

Yes it wasn't pretty but whenever you play a divisional rival you can throw alot of things out the window.

Nest up the Vikes, YIKES!!!

I am not expecting a win next week.

Displaced Flames fan
09-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Ryan McBean might get cut for giving the Jaguars the game today. Idiot.

GirlySports
09-12-2010, 02:34 PM
The Lions got robbed. What a weird call by Gailey and the Bills. On 4th and 10 from their own goal line with less than 2 minutes to go, they decide to punt only to snap the ball right through the end zone to make 15-10 Miami. Did they really think they were going to recover an onside kick after conceding the safety? Just a weird call imo.

Not sure they had much choice.. kicking out of the endzone from the one probably gets blocked. By doing it the way they did, they got the ball back with 30 seconds to go even when the onside kick didn't work.

----

The refs have been awful today, there were alot of reversals today as coaches kept challenging. Like the SF touchdown... the 2nd foot, knee, elbow, ass everything was a full yard out of bounds and the ref standing 2 feet away allows it! Seattle had to challenge to reverse it.

---

They just missed a blatant facemask on Rodgers, then he throws an interception

Displaced Flames fan
09-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Great catch by Calvin Johnson to beat the Bears.

Flickered Flame
09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Not sure they had much choice.. kicking out of the endzone from the one probably gets blocked. By doing it the way they did, they got the ball back with 30 seconds to go even when the onside kick didn't work.

I would have just went for it on 4th down.

MRCboicgy
09-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Great catch by Calvin Johnson to beat the Bears.

I thought they called it off--if they did=:blink:

GirlySports
09-12-2010, 02:43 PM
I would have just went for it on 4th down.

That wouldn't have been the worst thing either, except the Bills really suck. They couldn't move the ball a single yard in the first 3 plays. It actually wouldn't have been bad to run the ball on 1st down, get a little breathing room and catch the Dolphins off guard.

But it doesn't matter, well deserved win by the Dolphins.

Erick Estrada
Raiders were horrible today. Cable is in over his head as the team just wasn't prepared to play. The team isn't talented enough to overcome bad coaching. At least McFadden had a nice day but that was the only positive.

rubecube
They just missed a blatant facemask on Rodgers, then he throws an interception

They missed a hold by Clifton on the same play.

rubecube
09-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Ugly hit on Leonard Weaver. Probably done for the year.

SportsJunky
09-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Poor decision by Kolb there.

Trojan97
09-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Congrats to Houston on winning the game 34-24. Manning threw for over 400 yards and had 3 TD's, but the defense was absolutely horrible vs the Houston running game (credit to Foster as well on a monster day). Looking forward to facing the Giants next week.

Houston could easily take the division this year.

:whistle:

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/2010/9/12/104025617-430x296.jpg

rubecube
09-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Kolb looks like garbage so far. Reid isn't doing him any favours by refusing to run the ball (as usual). I don't think throwing Vick into the game every second play is helping either.

flames_fan_down_under
09-12-2010, 03:34 PM
49ers turn over the ball, Seahawks TD, and Pete Carroll is seriously fired up! Love it.

transplant99
09-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Finally the Packers look like the Packers for a series.

Here is where Thompson and McCarthy lose me....Grant looks done for a while...the ONLY RB left is Jackson and he just isnt "that" kind of player. Who the hell starts a season, nevermind a game, with only 2 RB's on the entire roster?

Ugh.

Sylvanfan
09-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Man, the Eagles better figure out a few things here in the second half, something to keep Aaron Rogers from having too much of a day. I'm pretty annoyed over Megatron losing that winning TD...despite my 55 point lead on my fantasy opponent, he still has a half of Rogers, and Stephen Jackson to run me down, as well as the Jets defence tommorrow night, and Shonn Green. I've only got Gates and Floyd to get me some points.

rubecube
09-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Man, the Eagles better figure out a few things here in the second half, something to keep Aaron Rogers from having too much of a day. I'm pretty annoyed over Megatron losing that winning TD...despite my 55 point lead on my fantasy opponent, he still has a half of Rogers, and Stephen Jackson to run me down, as well as the Jets defence tommorrow night, and Shonn Green. I've only got Gates and Floyd to get me some points.

The D has been doing a pretty god job so far. The offense has been brutal. Need to keep the Packers offense off the field.

transplant99
09-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah the Eagles D has been pretty good...though it looks like Rodgers has started to figure something out.

Kevin Kolb...yikes. Awful... I mean he is throwing passes that get you benched in college. Vick may get a shot depending on the Eagles first series in the 3rd.

Jesse834
09-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Trivia question for years to come. Who caught Sam Bradford first TD pass?

Answer: Laurent Robinson

Erick Estrada
09-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Kolb looks like garbage so far. Reid isn't doing him any favours by refusing to run the ball (as usual). I don't think throwing Vick into the game every second play is helping either.

I wonder if Jeff Garcia will be brought in by the Eagles at some point this year.

rubecube
09-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Kolb and Bradley are done with concussions. Brutal. The Bradley injury hurts more than the Kolb one at this point.

GirlySports
09-12-2010, 04:16 PM
I just saw the Detroit Lions play I think the call is correct.
I've seen other examples of similar plays in the NFL over the years.

A receiver must have control of the ball throughout the entire process of the catch and survive impact with the ground. Being in the endzone or not is irrelevant. The ball clearly hits the ground while still in his one hand. So perhaps the rule is too strict? That's a different argument.

rubecube
09-12-2010, 04:18 PM
It's gonna be a long season.

KTown
09-12-2010, 04:32 PM

A receiver must have control of the ball throughout the entire process of the catch and survive impact with the ground. Being in the endzone or not is irrelevant. The ball clearly hits the ground while still in his one hand. So perhaps the rule is too strict? That's a different argument.

Allthough the call is correct. Its a terrible rule. Scoring is tough enough in the NFL.

zarrell
09-12-2010, 04:34 PM

Yeah, according to the rules the call may be right. But Johnson "caught" that ball and should have been a TD in my mind.

GirlySports
09-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah, according to the rules the call may be right. But Johnson "caught" that ball and should have been a TD in my mind.

yeah, weird thing is that if Johnson just stays on the ground and clutches the ball to his chest it's a TD. But instead he puts the ball on the ground in order to get up and celebrate and that's incomplete.

rubecube
09-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Yay! Time for Andy Reid's crackpot clock management.

rubecube
09-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I think the Eagles started the wrong QB today. Vick has been outstanding.

nik-
09-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Yup, he's had a pretty nice game so far.

rubecube
09-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Brilliant call, Andy. Everybody in the world knew what you were going to call there, you fat fataing idiot.

SteveToms
09-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I have said it before and so has Rube, Reid needs to have the play calling and clock management taken away from him in the final 6 minutes of a half.

Sainters7
Vick needs to be starting in this league. If not in Philly, then somewhere else. He's better than a lot of starters out there. What a game. Brought back nightmares of what I had to deal with twice a year for 6 years.

Beerfest
Woo! Packers!

nik-
09-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Vick needs to be starting in this league. If not in Philly, then somewhere else. He's better than a lot of starters out there. What a game. Brought back nightmares of what I had to deal with twice a year for 6 years.

He just straight up got it done today. Lost a potential touchdown drive on his first series because of that fumble too. Plus 100 yards rushing in half a game.

browna
09-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Solid SEA win.

Defense held them in the first quarter, SF could've been up by 14+ instead of 6. But great defensive stands, Hasslebeck making some plays, as well as taking advantage of SF and Alex Smith's inconsistency.

But finished the game off and didn't let SF back in after the half.

NFC West is going to be wide open...but important win, for standings, and confidence, for the new look Seahawks.

Sainters7
09-12-2010, 06:00 PM
He just straight up got it done today. Lost a potential touchdown drive on his first series because of that fumble too. Plus 100 yards rushing in half a game.

Yep. Not to mention that the guy's exciting as hell to watch(a lot more so now that he's out of my division). By having him rot on the bench, I actually feel somewhat ripped off as a fan. Either make him your starter or trade him for something you can use, and let him make his plays elsewhere.

transplant99
09-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Vick was outstanding today no doubt and he may very well be a good starting QB again, but I am not so sure you can base everything off todays performance. I highly doubt that Capers had gameplanned for Vick beyond the odd wildcat formation that the Eagles throw out once in a while. Certainly never expected to see him dropping back and standing in the pocket for a full half of the game and as such were not prepared for the element Vick brings.

Thought the Packers were really average on offense as well...thats not the team i expect to see for the rest of the year for sure.

Clay Matthews is a beast and i think Charles Woodson played as well or better than he did last year. Shocked that Reid and Morningweg didnt attack the undrafted rookie C Shields more...but the kid did play well at times.

Happy with the win...but lots to work on and fer chrissakes the Packers better be looking for a RB.

Cheerio
09-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Ugh. worked from 11-5 so missed the game. What happened to the Colts?
EDIT: I know they lost 34-24 but what hapepned?

flames_1987
09-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Ugh. worked from 11-5 so missed the game. What happened to the Colts?
EDIT: I know they lost 34-24 but what hapepned?

The d was just like it's been for the last 3 or 4 years, no running game again and a very costly turnover by Collie.

Machiavelli
09-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Ooh, nice catch by my favorite whipping boy.

Montana Moe
09-12-2010, 07:00 PM
The d was just like it's been for the last 3 or 4 years, no running game again and a very costly turnover by Collie.

Don't forget the annual Bob Sanders injury.

Cheerio
09-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Don't forget the annual Bob Sanders injury.

Ugh. How long is he out for now?

Erick Estrada
09-12-2010, 07:43 PM
When is Romo going to grow up and stop walking around and being photographed with a ball cap on backwards like a punk? You look at him and QB's like Brees, Manning, and Brady and it's not hard to figure out why they are football winners and why Romo is the GQ winner.

Beerfest
09-12-2010, 07:48 PM
When is Romo going to grow up and stop walking around and being photographed with a ball cap on backwards like a punk? You look at him and QB's like Brees, Manning, and Brady and it's not hard to figure out why they are football winners and why Romo is the GQ winner.

So he's a punk because he wears his hat backwards?
and the reason why Brees, Manning and Brady are football winners is because they dont wear their hats backwards?

Machiavelli
09-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Ugh....pretty lame first half.

Edit: You've got to be freaking kidding me. Just take the freaking knee.

Beerfest
09-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Haha, wow..what the hell was that..

GirlySports
09-12-2010, 07:52 PM
what was that?!!

Mach must be going nuts, Wade Bum Phillips is the worst coach in the league, the overrated cowboys are going nowhere.

Machiavelli
09-12-2010, 07:52 PM
What a dumb, dumb play. Romo doesn't see anything down field so he inexplicably flips it....sideways?

What good could have possibly come out of that?

Erick Estrada
09-12-2010, 07:53 PM
So he's a punk because he wears his hat backwards?
and the reason why Brees, Manning and Brady are football winners is because they dont wear their hats backwards?

Yes.:) Brees, Manning, Brady are focussed on one thing and that's winning the SB. Romo's trying out for the PGA, being a playboy and choking in big games.

GirlySports
09-12-2010, 07:54 PM
The entire Dallas offense looks horrible, against a bad defense to boot.
Are they really going to become a smashmouth run it up the middle team? Really?

The play calling has been appalling.

Erick Estrada
09-12-2010, 07:55 PM
What a dumb, dumb play. Romo doesn't see anything down field so he inexplicably flips it....sideways?

What good could have possibly come out of that?

I'm surprised people haven't come to expect terrible plays at the worst time from a cool dude that likes to wear his hat like a kid.;)

GirlySports
09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Offside on a FG...

Does this team practice? they needed to fire Wade Phillips like last year!

Erick Estrada
09-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Offside on a FG...

Does this team practice? they needed to fire Wade Phillips like last year!

It's all ego with Jones. He's hell bent on trying to win with his puppet head coach.

Edit: Can't even execute a FG. This game has nothing on a poorly played CFL game. Sloppy.

Beerfest
09-12-2010, 08:22 PM
So they had a field goal, a penalty extends the drive, and they end up with nothing.
Well thats unfortunate.

Pagal4321
09-12-2010, 08:24 PM
The end of the first half in this SNF game still has me chuckling.

As does the Twitter fallout of that play!

Sorry Mach.

Machiavelli
09-12-2010, 08:29 PM
It would be nice for them to at least break the shutout.

Pagal4321
09-12-2010, 08:34 PM
My thoughts of the day:

1. Bob Sanders got injured...and the sun set this evening. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the most injury prone player I've ever seen. He might be a legitimate run stopper, but how this man takes in a salary in the NFL is beyond me.

2. The Packers defense looked very good, don't know if it had to do with the makeshift Philly offense, but they looked good throughout the whole game. Vick can make all defenses pay with his feet.

3. That Stafford injury REALLY kills any chance the Lions had to make an early season surprise. I thought they could pull it off, but not so much anymore.

4. Arian Foster. Are you freaking kidding me? Wow.

5. Wow Alex Smith, the game started with such promise. The 49ers could capitalize early. And then the tide turned, in a big way.

6. It's oh so strange to see Donovan McNabb in red.

OILFAN #81
09-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Sadly #1 is 100% true. He can't even last a few games anymore. I think Indy will be fine though and will bounce back to 5-1 before the bye week (minimum 4-2).

Beerfest
09-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Dallas gets on the board.
10-7 Washington.

Machiavelli
09-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Enough with the penalties, my goodness.

GirlySports
09-12-2010, 09:22 PM
A FG? really?

WOW!

Displaced Flames fan
09-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Romo...you're really going to Bryant here? Twice?

and he hits the 54 million dollar man across the middle.

Machiavelli
09-12-2010, 09:33 PM
No reason to throw to anyone other than #19 right now. This is the game.

silentsim
09-12-2010, 09:34 PM
nervewracking to say the least

GirlySports
09-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Romo...you're really going to Bryant here? Twice?

and he hits the 54 million dollar man across the middle.

They threw to Austin TWICE on the entire drive! First one was a short gain in their own zone.

Again, appalling play-calling.

Machiavelli
09-12-2010, 09:37 PM
This team is just way too stupid.

GirlySports
09-12-2010, 09:37 PM
This team is just way too stupid.

Poorly coached. Training camp was like a country club.

Displaced Flames fan
09-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I picked Washington to win the East. I don't know that they will, but I think they are much better than they are getting credit for. I hope they sweep Philly at least.

ipuckedyourmom
09-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Wow crazy end to the Redskins vs. Cowboys game.

Jesse834
09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
That most likely cost Alex Barron his NFL job at the end of the game.

Jesse834
09-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Randy Moss goes off in post game comments. http://www.torontosun.com/sports/football/2010/09/12/15326126.html

“I want to be here as a Patriot,” an emotional Moss said. “I love being here. But I just think, from a business standpoint, this probably will be my last year here as a Patriot. And I’m not retiring.”

“I’m not saying I’m not appreciated, but I would like to feel (appreciated) sometimes,” Moss said. “Nothing has been discussed. There has not been anything said. Not a letter. Nothing.
“I’m not saying that I want to stay here but I love playing here. If the future of my job lets me go to another team, then that’s what it’s going to be. But right now, I have a contract with the New England Patriots and I have a job to do. So I’m going to play my year out and do the best of my ability.

“I’ve already showed that I can play at a high level at age 33,” he added. “For me to be offered a contract after the season is over, I think that would be a smack in my face.”

This is not football. Football leaves you in college and high school. This is a job ... That’s all I’m saying.

“I’m old. I’m not ready to leave the league yet but I still have a family to provide for. All I’m saying is, if I’m wanted here, I want to be here. If I’m not going to be here, then that’s it.”

WindomURL
09-12-2010, 10:24 PM
That most likely cost Alex Barron his NFL job at the end of the game.

He can always take up Texas Hold'em

GirlySports
09-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Randy Moss goes off in post game comments. http://www.torontosun.com/sports/football/2010/09/12/15326126.html

I've always liked Randy Moss

X2Q38p1VXrY

But the hat is ridiculous! :P

transplant99
09-13-2010, 08:01 AM
“I’m not saying that I want to stay here but I love playing here.

What does this even mean?

What a diva.

transplant99
09-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Some Packer comments on suddenly seeing Vick every snap.

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR DOM CAPERS:“I like being able to go on the road in an environment like this against a good team that’s very explosive, (that) gives you a lot of things to prepare for, the ‘Wildcat, (Vick) as their quarterback, we saw a lot of those things in the first half. The game plan was totally different in the second half when he was in there, so it was something to learn from. The key is it’s easier to make corrections getting the win. I like the fact that they didn’t get any balls over the top of us. They hit the one seam on us, but a lot of the yardage came with him pulling the ball down and running.”

“It’s like you take your game-plan book and throw it out the window,” cornerback Tramon Williams said. “You game plan for (Vick) some, but you don’t game plan for him the whole game. It’s a whole different story.”

“You expect Vick to get in there, but you don’t expect him to be the quarterback the second half every snap,” defensive end Ryan Pickett said. “He brings so many different dimensions to the game. It’s hard to stop the run when he’s in there, it’s hard to stop the pass, it’s tough. He puts a lot of pressure on the defense.”

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100912/PKR01/100912028/Packers-hold-off-Eagles-for-season-opening-win

troutman
09-13-2010, 08:46 AM
I still have a family to provide for

Sure Randy, that must be hard.

On February 28, 2008, Moss became a free agent after the Patriots decided not to place the franchise tag (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/wiki/Franchise_tag) on Moss. Although the Dallas Cowboys (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys), Philadelphia Eagles (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/wiki/Philadelphia_Eagles) and Green Bay Packers (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers) were rumored to have interest in Moss,[37] (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/#cite_note-Randy_Moss_in_Dallas.3F-36) he decided to return to the Patriots, signing a three-year, $27 million deal on March 3, 2008.[38] (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/#cite_note-37) The contract included a $12 million dollar signing bonus, and a total of $14.1 million guaranteed.[39] (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/#cite_note-38)

burn_baby_burn
09-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Awesome start to the NFL season so far. Until my hopes and dreams get shattered tonight. I hear that KC sports talk radio is talking like the Chiefs are going to blow the Chargers out of the water tonight. I guess anything is possible, especially considering the Chargers slow start in recent seasons. Still the Chiefs have been horrible the past three seasons. They could improve this year, however I'm approaching tonights game with cautious optimism.

burn_baby_burn
09-13-2010, 08:50 AM
I still have a family to provide for

Sure Randy, that must be hard.

Its laughable isn't it. A good portion of these NFL players grow up in lower income families. Then they treat themselves like royalty when they get the big paychecks and seem to forget what reality is. Until he retires and the bank account is empty. Then he will cry that the players in his era were not compensated fairly.

transplant99
09-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Two of my favorite things in this world, the Make-A-Wish foundation and the Green Bay Packers, combine to create an awesome story.

Get a kleenex before viewing.

WPBcWnJiORA

Erick Estrada
09-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Awesome start to the NFL season so far. Until my hopes and dreams get shattered tonight. I hear that KC sports talk radio is talking like the Chiefs are going to blow the Chargers out of the water tonight. I guess anything is possible, especially considering the Chargers slow start in recent seasons. Still the Chiefs have been horrible the past three seasons. They could improve this year, however I'm approaching tonights game with cautious optimism.

Yeah I was hearing all the talk out of Oakland of how the Raiders could win in Tennessee but reality sets in hard when 'potential' meets established good team. I think KC will keep things competitive but the defensive line is going to have to get into River's face (something they haven't done for a couple of years now) or it could be a long night.

GirlySports
09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I don't think what Moss said was so bad. Basically "I like playing football here, would like to keep playing, here, or somewhere else if necessary, after this season, and I want to clear the air now so my contract isn't a distraction as the season goes on." Do you think he does want to be a distraction? He's always seemed pretty forthright to me, even when it's been to his detriment.

---

Anyone see Bradford play? From the little bit I saw he looked pretty good in a losing cause.

North East Goon
09-13-2010, 10:38 AM
The Eagles old school jersey's looked great. Are they wearing these all the time now? Don't know what to say about my 49ers, I am shocked they couldnt deliver against Seattle.

troutman
09-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Peter King:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/09/12/week1/index.html

The rule's a dumb rule, but you can't ask officials to take the law into their own hands. At NBC on Sunday night, Tony Dungy made a terrific point, asking how can the Lance Moore Super Bowl two-point conversion pass be a good catch -- he barely had control of it before breaking the plane of the goal line, then losing control of the ball -- when a much surer Calvin Johnson catch Sunday in Chicago is ruled no good? Dungy's right. The disparity in the two calls is striking and makes fans and the public look at Sunday's ruling and say it's nonsense.

As my NBC/MLB Network buddy Elliott Kalb said of the Mossman's postgame meanderings: "Randy being Manny.''

I loved what New England guard Stephen Neal said to Ian Rapoport of The Boston Herald after Brady had a fender-bender on the way to work Thursday: "We can't protect him all the time.''

Not the best way to start out trying to impress the new boss, Eric Mangini.

Pagal4321
09-13-2010, 11:24 AM
There are unconfirmed (for now) rumors in league circles that Colts safety Bob Sanders (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2789)' elbow injury may in fact be a season-ending biceps injury.

If this is true, I am speechless. This guy is worse than Buck Pierce!!

Erick Estrada
09-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Not the best way to start out trying to impress the new boss, Eric Mangini.

I'm not a Mangini fan by any means but it was his new boss that brought in Mr. Interception to be the starter. Delhomme lost the game with that brutal throw that let to the ball being intercepted and returned to the 3 yard line. Mangini is being set up to fail with Delhomme as a starter.

Slava
09-13-2010, 12:18 PM

The Chiefs got some love on the NFL Pre-game on TSN yesterday morning. Picked once as a team to make the playoffs (because of the addition of Thomas Jones) and then one guy picked Bowe as the breakout player this season.

I'm looking forward to the game. I know that the Chiefs are underdogs going in, but they could pull this off and it would be such a great start to the season!

Sylvanfan
09-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Well the Chiefs may benefit from the Marcus McNeil hold out, and get a bit of pressure on Rivers. Romeo is good with scheme, and he'll have to earn his money this year with the personell the Chiefs have in their front 7. They'll need to show that they can stop the run too as I'm sure the Chargers will be testing that with a pretty healthy does of Ryan Matthews.

I read an interesting thing about Division matchups in week one, where teams who lose those games tend to miss the playoffs, and seldom can come back to win the Division. I think San Diego could lose this game and come back to win the Division....but if the Chiefs have any chance of shocking the world and making the playoffs, they have to win this game.

Either way, I'll get to see the game tonight good or bad, as a poor person who doesn't have Sunday ticket, it's very seldom that I get to catch the Chiefs on T.V. Granted the past three seasons, thats been a good thing I think.

transplant99
09-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Some injury disclosures starting to roll in...

Green Bay.

Justin Harrelll is out for the season with a a torn ACL.

Ryan Grant out at least a week with a sprained ankle.

Cullen Jenkins broke his left hand yesterday but is probable for next week.

Indianapolis

Bob Sanders is questionable next week with an elbow injury.

Anthony Gonzalez is questionable next week with an ankle injury.

Oakland

Richard Seymour is questionable for next week with a hamstring injury.

Philadelphia

Kevin Kolb is questionable and will not practice until Friday with a concussion.

Leonard Weaver is out for the season with a torn ACL and a broken leg.

Stewart bradley is questionable with a concussion.

Pittsburgh

Max Starks is out for a month with an ankle sprain.

Many more to be added as the day and week progress.

Sylvanfan
09-13-2010, 12:50 PM

*snip*

If the NFL is wanting an 18 week schedule, they better allow teams to carry 60 guys on their roster, and than another 10 on the practice squad. Teams are going to need that many extra guys to slug through two more meaningfull games.

transplant99
09-13-2010, 12:53 PM
If the NFL is wanting an 18 week schedule, they better allow teams to carry 60 guys on their roster, and than another 10 on the practice squad. Teams are going to need that many extra guys to slug through two more meaningfull games.

Absolutely...in fact i would suggest they expand to 63 as a roster. 5 more on D and 5 more on O.

A huge part of the upcoming CBA talks.

GirlySports
09-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Aren't players getting injured cause the starters barely played in pre-season?
Wouldn't having just 2 pre-season games make it worse?

transplant99
09-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Aren't players getting injured cause the starters barely played in pre-season?

No. Players are getting hurt because everyone is bigger, stronger and faster. You can condition yourself all you like, but when a 260 pound LB drives you head first into the turf, you are going to hurt. When a pile of humanity falls on the back of your leg and you have no where to go, you are going to break a bone or tear some ligaments.

Wouldn't having just 2 pre-season games make it worse?

They play 4 games now...making two of them count for real wont change the amount of injuries. Only the amount of injuries to starters. Thats why expanded rosters are crucial for a team to get through the season able to compete.

rubecube
09-13-2010, 01:04 PM

Green Bay.

Justin Harrelll is out for the season with a a torn ACL.

Ryan Grant out at least a week with a sprained ankle.

Cullen Jenkins broke his left hand yesterday but is probable for next week.

Indianapolis

Bob Sanders is questionable next week with an elbow injury.

Anthony Gonzalez is questionable next week with an ankle injury.

Oakland

Richard Seymour is questionable for next week with a hamstring injury.

Philadelphia

Kevin Kolb is questionable and will not practice until Friday with a concussion.

Leonard Weaver is out for the season with a torn ACL and a broken leg.

Stewart bradley is questionable with a concussion.

Pittsburgh

Max Starks is out for a month with an ankle sprain.

And the NFL wants to add two more games to the schedule...

Erick Estrada
09-13-2010, 01:17 PM
And the NFL wants to add two more games to the schedule...

Lots of injuries in week one are common though as players have coasted in preseason and all of a sudden are thrown into a full speed 60 minute game. Alot of players aren't in game shape in week one and unfortunately that can result in injuries.

Displaced Flames fan
09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
We should poll ourselves.

Who wants the 18 game schedule?

transplant99
09-13-2010, 01:37 PM
I want the games...simply because they are played already and might as well mean something. Weeks 1 and 4 of the pre-season are a joke now. They mean zero, particularly the last game. Yes there may be a guy or 2 that make the coaches change their minds one way or the other after that game, but honestly the roster is more or less set going into it.

Now if they just wanted to drop 2 pre-season game and go to a 16 game season, I would be on board with that though we will never see it because its a gate lost for every owner. So we are left with the alternatives...and IMO the best is go with 2 exhibition games and start er up.

troutman
09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
We should poll ourselves.

Who wants the 18 game schedule?

I like 16, but the CFL does 18, and I'm not sure if that has resulted in more injuries.

A lot of NFL records are based on 16 game seasons.

GirlySports
09-13-2010, 02:33 PM
I like 16, but the CFL does 18, and I'm not sure if that has resulted in more injuries.

Weeks 1 and 2 in the CFL season are practically exhibition games :)

troutman
09-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Weeks 1 and 2 in the CFL season are practically exhibition games :)

You could say the same about the NFL.

transplant99
09-13-2010, 02:57 PM

And a lot of the old NFL records were based on 14 game seasons.

Things change.

rubecube
09-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Now if they just wanted to drop 2 pre-season game and go to a 16 game season, I would be on board with that though we will never see it because its a gate lost for every owner. So we are left with the alternatives...and IMO the best is go with 2 exhibition games and start er up.

Yeah, this is what I want but we'll never see it.

Jesse834
09-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Inactivates for the Ravens tonight are Terrence Cody , Donte' Stallworth , Jared Gaither , Paul Kruger, Art Jones, Jason Phillips and Bryan McCann.

LockedOut
09-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Ravens and Jets game may be delayed a bit cause of the same rain that is delaying the Nadal/Djokovic tennis match. It's more cause of the lightning not the rain actually.

Jesse834
09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Ravens and Jets game may be delayed a bit cause of the same rain that is delaying the Nadal/Djokovic tennis match. It's more cause of the lightning not the rain actually.

Edward Lee of the Baltimore Sun that kickoff is scheduled for 7:25 PM EST. And warm-up beginning now.

Sylvanfan
09-13-2010, 05:11 PM
I'd be okay with an 18 game schedule if it meant dropping a couple pre-season games. Realistically I think a 3 game pre-season than a 18 game regular season would be okay. Given how systemized the NFL is, and the quality of product that they're striving to deliver, I don't think 2 preseason games would be enough to get teams ready, not that 3 would, but it would make enough of a difference for teams to evaluate depth for 2 games and partially prep their first teams that first game. I just can't see them keeping 4 pre-season games, and than having the extended schedule.

But with 32 teams right now, that 16 game schedule works really, really well. For a league where you can't play every team, it works about as well as you can make it. You don't go more than 4 years without playing any one team, and you see your other conference teams at least once every 3 years at the least.

Diet Water
09-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Crazy first half, a lot of dumb turnovers and penalties by both teams.

Jesse834
09-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Something was brought up earlier tonight. http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/....html?r=sports (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/13/2010-09-13_ines_sainz_accepts_jets_coach_woody_johnsons_ap olgy_in_sex_harass_flap_says_cant.html?r=sports)

WOWZERS!
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/09/13/amd_ines_sainz.jpg

transplant99
09-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Yeah...not hard to understand how she could have gotten some catcalls from some players. It shouldnt happen but its testosterone running wild and she has many, ummm, errr, assets young men would find attractive.

http://www.djmick.co.uk/celebritygallery/13/inessainz/ines_sainz%20(32).jpg

transplant99
09-13-2010, 07:36 PM
As for the football game...man the Jets offense is putrid. Just awful.

The defense is great but so is Baltimores, and the Raven offense is so much better.

Diet Water
09-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I like Cromartie.

transplant99
09-13-2010, 07:53 PM
So some stats after 3 Q's...

Jets have 4 1st downs, 37 yds passing, no 3rd down conversions, and 13 penalties.

And Ryan is spouting off about this being a super bowl calibre team? Really?

If this game is any indcation the D will have to singlehandedly win every game they are victorious in this season...I dont like their chances of even making the playoffs in such a scenario.

Erick Estrada
09-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Boy lots of snoozers to open up the season. I realize that defenses usually are sharper in the early going but this is pretty hard to watch. The Chargers/Chiefs game has a chance to be entertaining as neither team has a great defense.

troutman
09-13-2010, 08:36 PM
After week one, I don't think the Pats have much to worry about from NY, MIA or BUFF.

Ryan thinks the Jets should win the Superbowl? LOL.

nik-
09-13-2010, 08:53 PM
R - O - F - L Jets Jets Jets!

Diet Water
09-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Ray Lewis is a scary man.

H3jdNLQO99g

GirlySports
09-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Ray Lewis is a scary man.

Yup and again it's appalling play calling.
50 seconds left, no timeouts at own 30.

Let's throw an 8 yard pass RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE so our receiver can get destroyed by Ray Lewis.

One more dumpoff and I think Gruden is going to throttle Mark Sanchez.

Jets and Cowboys offensive coordinators need to be fired now.

GirlySports
09-13-2010, 09:14 PM
It's pouring in KC! This will be an interesting game, KC can keep it close if they can hold onto the ball. That new punt returner looks exciting!

PeteLFan
09-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Jets are terrible, Mark Sanchez is terrible. Superbowl? Good luck making the playoffs.

GirlySports
09-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Jets are terrible, Mark Sanchez is terrible. Superbowl? Good luck making the playoffs.

They really are, Sanchez is another pretty boy, you could see it early in the game when he slid a yard short of the first down marker on 3rd down. You just saw Cassell lower his head into the linebacker in order to get a first down to set the the 14-7 touchdown.

PeteLFan
09-13-2010, 09:29 PM
They really are, Sanchez is another pretty boy, you could see it early in the game when he slid a yard short of the first down marker on 3rd down. You just saw Cassell lower his head into the linebacker in order to get a first down to set the the 14-7 touchdown.

Great play by Cassell he wants to win. Sanchez is another story, just horrible. Does he even look further then 2 yards downfield, not too mention almost getting Dustin Keller killed.

Its too bad this rain might take away from this current game, I was excited to watch Mcluster and what he can do in the open field.

PeteLFan
09-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Well Dexter just showed me what I have been waiting to see :) what speed and blocking.

GirlySports
09-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Phillip Rivers has also done nothing but checkdowns. Hasn't thrown the ball over 2 yards.
Is this a new phenomenon in the NFL. If it is it's stoopid.

Another offensive coordinator that needs to be fired.

Erick Estrada
09-13-2010, 09:43 PM
LOL 10 yards passing and a 21-7 lead. Talk about a strange night in the NFL.