PDA

View Full Version : The 2012 UEFA European Championship - Poland/Ukraine - The Thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Locke
09-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Hey all, no thread for the Euro cup, so here goes, today is the international break, hence the lack of domestic action and the commencement of the qualifying rounds:

Armenia - Rep. of Ireland
Kazakhstan - Turkey
Moldova - Finland
Andorra - Russia
Faroe Islands - Serbia
Montenegro - Wales
Sweden - Hungary
Romania - Albania
Latvia - Croatia
Luxembourg - Bosnia Herzegovina
Lithuania - Scotland
Estonia - Italy
Slovakia - Macedonia
San Marino - Netherlands
Belgium - Germany
Slovenia - Northern Ireland
Lichtenstein - Spain
Greece - Georgia
France - Belarus
England - Bulgaria
Iceland - Norway
Portugal - Cyprus

I'll post more later, sorry, no time for snarky comments on poor teams, but lets see what happens. There is potential for some upsets, notably France/Belarus, France is in a sorry state at the moment and Belarus are a decent side.

Portugal/Cyprus, Portugal has demonstrated a tendency to play down to their opponents' level, I doubt they lose that match, but it really depends, if Portugal show up to play the points are theirs, if they dont and Cyprus defends like hell a draw isnt out of the question.

Germany/Belgium, Germany is the class of the group and the scalp that every team is going to want, not going to be too easy of a qualification group for them, still no Mikael Ballack in the squad due to lack of match fitness. Belgium and Turkey are the contenders in the group for the #2 spot, but if Germany slip up anything could happen.

England/Bulgaria, if England show the quality they've been playing of late they're going to lose. Steven Gerrard cant win every game for them, eventually Rooney, Terry, Lampard and company are going to have to start playing. Good news for England: Joe Hart is supposed to get the start. Imagine that...

The rest either look pretty straightforward or totally open, see: Iceland/Norway and Sweden/Hungary. Who knows really?

GirlySports
09-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Italia going to Estonia is not easy either, especially with a new coach and alot of new players.

There has been news of the Ukraine not at all ready to host this thing.

united
09-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Ummm none of those teams are competing in the European Cup.

I think you mean European Championships.

d_phaneuf
09-03-2010, 11:50 AM
ya its the European championships, Euro Cup is what the champions league used to be called

England's lineup today is

Hart (thank god)
Glen Johnson, Jagielka, Dawson, Cole
Walcott, Milner, Barry, Gerrard
Defoe, Rooney

d_phaneuf
09-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I actually like the side, only change I would prefer since Capello only knows the 4-4-2 and won't play a lone striker is Gerrard in the middle replacing Milner and Adam Johnson on the left

united
09-03-2010, 12:04 PM
I agree with you.
If Lampard is out Gerrard has got to be in the middle, preferably linking up with Rooney.

Thankfully Hart is in goal!

Also some talk lately about Scholes returning. I think it's just a dream at this point but he instantly becomes England's best midfielder if he does.

chris_yk
09-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Watched the Armenia - Ireland game earlier, was pretty entertaining and nice to see Ireland get off to a good start. Watching Faroe Islands - Serbia right now and Faroes are losing 0-2 :( the second goal was a beauty freekick by Dejan Stankovic though. Not too sure what to watch this afternoon yet, couldn't give a shag about England unless Bent or A Johnson are in the lineup (although Jagielka is nice to see) so might go with Iceland - Norway or Belgium - Germany, I think that one could be a beauty, Belgium's got a good looking team.

GirlySports
09-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Faroe Islands have the Tranmere keeper Nielsen!! Lost 0-3 :(

GirlySports
09-03-2010, 01:36 PM
The boys from Tallinn are up on the boys from Turin.

chris_yk
09-03-2010, 02:03 PM
hahah whats going on in Portugal? 1 - 2 Cyprus after 11 minutes. hope they hold on!

Phaneufenstein
09-03-2010, 02:09 PM
lol at tag...
what's next? arbeit macht frei..

watched Russia - Andorra today, pretty sad to see only two goals scored by Russia, even though they dominated most of the play.

d_phaneuf
09-03-2010, 02:10 PM
looks like Daws just tore something in his knee, that was ugly

d_phaneuf
09-03-2010, 02:17 PM
2-0 england

2nd by defoe, great pass by Rooney

Mango
09-03-2010, 02:17 PM
A good start from Croatia with a 3-0 win over Latvia. I've really missed soccer. I always enjoy qualifications.

d_phaneuf
09-03-2010, 02:20 PM
A good start from Croatia with a 3-0 win over Latvia. I've really missed soccer. I always enjoy qualifications.

did Modric play?

Mango
09-03-2010, 02:40 PM
did Modric play?

He did not.

chris_yk
09-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Adam Johnson scores! how does he still not start? not so excited about the Defoe hatty though..

d_phaneuf
09-03-2010, 03:01 PM
very good game by most of the team

Hart made a couple very good saves, Daws/Jagielka played well together until Dawsons injury. Cahill looked steady when he came on

Rooney and Defoe were brilliant together in movement and passing

Gerrard was great in a central role

Walcott didn't stand out but he never really got the ball, same thing happened in the WC with Lennon so I think it has something to do with Capello's tactics

Milner was average, Glen Johnson tried his hardest to give Bulgaria a goal but Hart made a save

much bigger game next tuesday away in Switzerland, probly the hardest game of qualifying in the group

united
09-03-2010, 03:10 PM
I think Glen Johnson keeps surprising Walcott/Lennon and even getting in their way. Neither of them seem comfortable with him running about like he does. I hope they can get used to it and take advantage of it, as I don't think Johnson can be reined in.

Rooney and Defoe were immense. Hat trick for Defoe and four apples for Wayne. Can't complain about either of their performances.
Gerrard looked great and very comfortable, played his role well.
Hart was confident as can be. He looked like he was just having fun.

A good confidence booster for the team, but in the end it's Bulgaria. Let's see how they do against better opposition.

Hope Dawson is alright. That was ugly to watch!

SebC
09-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Woohoo!

GirlySports
09-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Italy survived.

France lost!!!!!!!!!

Portugal 4-4!!?

GirlySports
09-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Hmmmm not bad from Altintop

qqIGz5_lIPM

Sune76
09-03-2010, 07:28 PM
great win for sweden. Ibrahimovic is amazing. He is soccers version of Forsberg

KTown
09-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Looking forward to the Czechs getting back on track. In a tough group with Scotland and Spain. Good result for the czechs today with Spain and Lith tieing.

Cactus Jack
09-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Nice to see France upset by Belarus, good call in the first post! They're really in a bad way.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Portugal's draw was embarassing. No Queiroz, no Ronaldo, NO EXCUSE!!! It's freaking Cyprus!! And to let in 4 goals at home is just plain awful.

I kinda excused the first Cyprus goal in the third minute. Stuff like that happens. But the second and third goal, Cyprus just split Alves and Carvalho wide open. Credit them for doing that. Portugal's biggest strength at WC 2010 was the back end. They only allowed one goal in 4 games to 3 world class teams. They let in 4 in one game to Cyprus. I;m still kinda shocked at the result.

Portugal's in a group with 5 teams, so they only have 8 games to get their points. They can't afford to give any away like today. Anything but 3 points in Norway on Tuesday will be a letdown. I'm not very confident.

Quaresma, do what you did today on a consisten basis, and you're in the starting 11 ALL THE TIME. God, I hate and love watching you play. So much skill, but when in a mood, he's the worst player on the pitch. Like a Russian hockey player.

SebC
09-04-2010, 12:17 AM
great win for sweden. Ibrahimovic is amazing. He is soccers version of ForsbergTalented, big and strong, yet easily knocked over?

Sune76
09-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Talented, big and strong, yet easily knocked over?

What are you smoking. Forsberg was never easily knocked over in his prime, neither is ibra.

And Forsberg was never BIG, he was just average size actually.

SebC
09-04-2010, 06:54 AM
What are you smoking. Forsberg was never easily knocked over in his prime.He was when he wanted to be. Whoosh.

And 6'0" 210lbs might not be big by hockey standards... by in the general scheme of things, it is.

Sune76
09-04-2010, 06:58 AM
He was when he wanted to be. Whoosh.

And 6'0" 210lbs might not be big by hockey standards... by in the general scheme of things, it is.

dude no one took as much abuse as peter did. Just watch this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly5r3QktPYM

the clutch and grab era was really awful.

d_phaneuf
09-05-2010, 12:45 AM
The white pele officially becomes a member of the English national team

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/943856/Wayne-Rooney-cheats-on-Coleen-again-with-21-year-old-hooker.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=News

and he might miss the game on tuesday because of it http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8969808.stm

Locke
09-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Nice to see France upset by Belarus, good call in the first post! They're really in a bad way.

I called both the potential France upset and the Portugal draw. I do know a thing or two about this game, believe it or not....;)

VANFLAMESFAN
09-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I called both the potential France upset and the Portugal draw. I do know a thing or two about this game, believe it or not....;)

I don't.

Locke
09-05-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't.

Suit yourself.

David Ginola
09-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Portugal's draw was embarassing. No Queiroz, no Ronaldo, NO EXCUSE!!! It's freaking Cyprus!! And to let in 4 goals at home is just plain awful.

I kinda excused the first Cyprus goal in the third minute. Stuff like that happens. But the second and third goal, Cyprus just split Alves and Carvalho wide open. Credit them for doing that. Portugal's biggest strength at WC 2010 was the back end. They only allowed one goal in 4 games to 3 world class teams. They let in 4 in one game to Cyprus. I;m still kinda shocked at the result.

Portugal's in a group with 5 teams, so they only have 8 games to get their points. They can't afford to give any away like today. Anything but 3 points in Norway on Tuesday will be a letdown. I'm not very confident.

Quaresma, do what you did today on a consisten basis, and you're in the starting 11 ALL THE TIME. God, I hate and love watching you play. So much skill, but when in a mood, he's the worst player on the pitch. Like a Russian hockey player.

Cyprus are evolving into a great team. They have a good domestic league and most of their international players play for the same club team. They lost twice to Italy, but both from injury time goals, drew Montenegro twice, and thumped Bulgaria 4-1 in their last qualifying campaign.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Cyprus are evolving into a great team. They have a good domestic league and most of their international players play for the same club team. They lost twice to Italy, but both from injury time goals, drew Montenegro twice, and thumped Bulgaria 4-1 in their last qualifying campaign.

Still no excuse in my mind. You're at home, you should beat Cyprus. No question. At to surrender 4 goals is downright ridiculous. Portugal did hit two posts when up 4-3 and had two other solid chances as well. So there's no question who the better team was, but you HAVE to put your chances away and BEAT teams like Cyprus. Especially in a small group like they are in.

Coentrao out for Portugal for Tuesday. He's been a real treat to watch lately. I don't like their chances of getting a full 3 points in Norway. That game has draw written all over it.

ipuckedyourmom
09-06-2010, 01:50 AM
Posting it right now for all to see and look back at....Spain will repeat and win the 2012 Euro Cup!

VANFLAMESFAN
09-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Posting it right now for all to see and look back at....Spain will repeat and win the 2012 Euro Cup!

not really going out on a limb there. Best team in the world. Easily. It would be something special if a team went Euro, WC and Euro repeat. I don't believe it's happened before. I could be wrong, but I cant think of it.

PIMking
09-06-2010, 11:15 PM
I would love to see Germany play Spain with a full squad a Muller....

GirlySports
09-07-2010, 12:04 AM
not really going out on a limb there. Best team in the world. Easily. It would be something special if a team went Euro, WC and Euro repeat. I don't believe it's happened before. I could be wrong, but I cant think of it.

There's never been repeat winner of the Euro.

-----

I hope France loses in Bosnia tomorrow, that would be the nail in that coffin!

Mango
09-07-2010, 12:54 AM
I hope France loses in Bosnia tomorrow, that would be the nail in that coffin!

BiH is playing strong football. They were pretty close to making it into the WC and that momentum has followed through. It would not at all surprise me at all if they got three points against France.

GirlySports
09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
first result of the day.

Russia 0 - 1 Slovakia.

That's quite an upset!

chris_yk
09-07-2010, 11:45 AM
first result of the day.

Russia 0 - 1 Slovakia.

That's quite an upset!

It's kind of surprising but not really a huge upset, Slovakia have been on the way up for a few years now and have some really good young players like Hamsik, Stoch, Jendrisek and Weiss.. Russian supporters can't be too pleased though

GirlySports
09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
It's kind of surprising but not really a huge upset, Slovakia have been on the way up for a few years now and have some really good young players like Hamsik, Stoch, Jendrisek and Weiss.. Russian supporters can't be too pleased though

I think the fact that it's on the road. You know how hard it is to win international away from home.

Matches like

Norway-Portugal
Bosnia-France
Suisse-England

will be very interesting today.

d_phaneuf
09-07-2010, 11:57 AM
ya Slovakia is an up and comer but thats a game Russia has to win. Their group isn't the easiest and while they are probly the best team of the 3 who likely have a chance to qualify (themselves, Slovakia, Ireland) they still need to win the games

they can't miss out on 2012 after missing the WC

d_phaneuf
09-07-2010, 11:58 AM
also Capello is just messing with England at this point (team, media, and fans), he has played Cahill with Jagielka all throughout training ever since the last game

and then the squad is announced and Lescott goes in not Cahill

Mango
09-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Luka Modric is back in for Croatia after not playing soccer for a month. Croatia and Greece are just getting underway.

GirlySports
09-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Luka Modric is back in for Croatia after not playing soccer for a month. Croatia and Greece are just getting underway.

Croatia all over Greece in the first 5 minutes but no goals.. the home crowd is crazy loud.

Portugal under attack against Norway as I switch feeds.

chris_yk
09-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Rooney opens the scoring for England, and Walcott's off injured for Adam Johnson (woooo!)

d_phaneuf
09-07-2010, 01:00 PM
haha

I wanted Johnson to start but not that way, and instead of Milner not Theo

Arsenal's yearly injuries taking no time to come up this year it seems, Van Persie out for 6 weeks, Walcotts injury looks bad, these things come in 3's

Cesc better be careful

GirlySports
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Norway up 1-0 on Portugal after 25 minutes. I missed the goal cause I was watching Croatia which is still 0-0 :(

Mango
09-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Croatia is playing too much long ball, while the Greeks clog the middle.

GirlySports
09-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Another sort of upset

Bulgaria 0 - 1 Montenegro

SuperMatt18
09-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Not really a surprise as Italy is already up 3-0 against the Faroe Islands, but in CP news everybody's favorite goalkeeper Gunnar Nielson of the Tranmere Rovers has actually made a few nice saves to keep the score 3-0.

d_phaneuf
09-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Johnson 2 in 2

maybe he should be a starter now Fabio? the only good left footed and left sided midfielder in the country can maybe get a spot?

d_phaneuf
09-07-2010, 02:15 PM
swiss get one back on a wonder goal

and Bent is on for Defoe who went off injured

Jagger
09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Scotland down 1-0 to Liechtenstein!

I dinna see that one coming.

d_phaneuf
09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Norway 1-0 final

Mango
09-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Croatia Greece 0-0

BlackEleven
09-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Norway beats Portugal :)

Heia Norge!

Jagger
09-07-2010, 02:27 PM
The Scots tie it up.......to the relief of Scots everywhere. Flippin Liechtenstein!

d_phaneuf
09-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Croatia/Greece ends 0-0

Croatia can't be happy with that

VladtheImpaler
09-07-2010, 02:28 PM
first result of the day.

Russia 0 - 1 Slovakia.

That's quite an upset!

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/homer_facepalm.jpg

d_phaneuf
09-07-2010, 02:29 PM
why is SWP on the team, that was horrible

d_phaneuf
09-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Bent!

nice to see him get his 1st for England

chris_yk
09-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Yessssssssss darren bent

VANFLAMESFAN
09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Portugal are so frustrating to support. At times, they can look world class, but lately, they are playing like a team that believes they don't have to earn a spot in these tournaments. Another boring, frustrating sad performance by this squad.

This was a match where there was no better team. Norway were bad, Portugal was pretty bad. Norway's goal was a gift given to them by keeper Eduardo. He mis played a back pass and Carew blocked his clearance, leaving an open net for the Norwegian player to put it in.

After the goal, Norway sat back, like plenty of teams do, hoping to not lose. Portugal tried, but didn't really create much. Didn;t test the keeper enough. In fact, they barely tested him. Portugal did score, but it was called back on the offside. Almeida was offside for sure.

Portugal is putting themselves into a tight spot to qualify. With only 6 games remaining, they probably have to win 5 if not all 6 to get a top 2 spot. Next up, at home to Denmark. It's going to be a tough one. Ronaldo should be back so we won't have to see the enigma that is Quaresma in the lineup. So good against Cyprus, next to useless versus Norway.

SuperMatt18
09-07-2010, 02:36 PM
4-0 to Italy now but there might be some bad news for CP as it looks like Tranmere keeper Gunnar Nielson may have hurt his shoulder making an unreal save on Antonio Cassano.

d_phaneuf
09-07-2010, 02:39 PM
England look good on qualifying again, definitely well on their way to another quarter final defeat

GirlySports
09-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Portugal are so frustrating to support. At times, they can look world class, but lately, they are playing like a team that believes they don't have to earn a spot in these tournaments. Another boring, frustrating sad performance by this squad.

This was a match where there was no better team. Norway were bad, Portugal was pretty bad. Norway's goal was a gift given to them by keeper Eduardo. He mis played a back pass and Carew blocked his clearance, leaving an open net for the Norwegian player to put it in.

After the goal, Norway sat back, like plenty of teams do, hoping to not lose. Portugal tried, but didn't really create much. Didn;t test the keeper enough. In fact, they barely tested him. Portugal did score, but it was called back on the offside. Almeida was offside for sure.

Portugal is putting themselves into a tight spot to qualify. With only 6 games remaining, they probably have to win 5 if not all 6 to get a top 2 spot. Next up, at home to Denmark. It's going to be a tough one. Ronaldo should be back so we won't have to see the enigma that is Quaresma in the lineup. So good against Cyprus, next to useless versus Norway.

To be fair Portugal aren't play better or worse than anyone else.

You have Spain and then the rest and even Spain is pretty boring.

This may be drastic but you may be seeing the death of international football. The entire match is 6 or 7 guys attacking against 9 guys, back and forth and back and forth.

Another big upset.

Czech Rep. 0 - 1 Lithuania

Austria scored in the final minute to beat the mighty Kazakhstan 1-0.
Scotland and Liechtenstien are deadlocked in a 1-1 battle with 10 minutes to go.

I watched most of the Croatia-Greece match and kind of regret it now, I can hardly recall a real scoring chance. It's just bad football all around.

d_phaneuf
09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Spain are losing 3-0 right now to Argentina, both fielding pretty much full strength squads

SuperMatt18
09-07-2010, 02:52 PM
That is because this is the Argentina we should have seen in the World Cup, with Cambiasso, Mascherano, and Banega together in the midfield and Zanetti back at full back they are much tougher to play against and stronger defensively.

Still though no Puyol, Xavi, Torres, or Castillas for Spain.

GirlySports
09-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Scotland scored in the 7th minute of injury time!

That's a conspriacy! I would complain if I were Liechtenstienian!

Sune76
09-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Scotland scored in the 7th minute of injury time!

That's a conspriacy! I would complain if I were Liechtenstienian!
that sounds like horse to me. I have never heard of 7 extra minutes

btw Sweden - SM 6-0 :w00t: ibra 2 goals :D

SebC
09-07-2010, 05:43 PM
England look good on qualifying again, definitely well on their way to another quarter final defeatThat would still beat last time. :bag:

KTown
09-07-2010, 08:19 PM
To be fair Portugal aren't play better or worse than anyone else.

You have Spain and then the rest and even Spain is pretty boring.

This may be drastic but you may be seeing the death of international football. The entire match is 6 or 7 guys attacking against 9 guys, back and forth and back and forth.

Another big upset.

Czech Rep. 0 - 1 Lithuania

Austria scored in the final minute to beat the mighty Kazakhstan 1-0.
Scotland and Liechtenstien are deadlocked in a 1-1 battle with 10 minutes to go.

I watched most of the Croatia-Greece match and kind of regret it now, I can hardly recall a real scoring chance. It's just bad football all around.

I wouldn't consider it a huge upset, the Czechs looked terrible in the world cup qualifiers as well, we are clearly on the decline. Time to let the young guys take over. Other than Rosicky and Cech, no oter vets should be playing.

The Czechs dominated the game but they have no finish. When you rely on Baros to be your best player it is quite sad. They need to sit him. Time to let Fenin develop into hopefully a powerful striker. He was amazing for the Czechs in U20 here in Canada a few years back.

With a start like this and a tough group allready with Scotland and Spain, I fully expect the Czechs to finish 4th now and would not be shocked one bit.

I feel for Cech and Rosicky they are head and shoulders above the rest of this pitiful roster.

David Ginola
09-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Anyone see Kevin Doyle's goal against Andorra today? Goal of the year candidate.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Anyone see Kevin Doyle's goal against Andorra today? Goal of the year candidate.

Definitely a sick strike, but goal of the year?? Not with you on that one. Those goals happen on a weekly basis in Europe.

Locke
09-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Portugal sack Queiroz

Portugal coach Carlos Queiroz has been dismissed following the country's poor start to Euro 2012 qualifying and the coach's own lengthy suspension for disciplinary reaons.

Queiroz said he would appeal the six-month sanction but in his absence, Portugal could only draw 4-4 at home to Cyprus and lose 1-0 to Norway on Tuesday to start their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign in unimpressive fashion.

Portugal were also eliminated in the second round of the World Cup when losing 1-0 to Spain and failed to score in three of their four games in South Africa.

Queiroz, who has a spell as Real Madrid coach on his CV, was previously Portugal boss between the years of 1991 and 1994. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=821645&sec=euro2012&cc=5901

Well. They couldnt get any worse. Letting in 4 against mighty Cyprus is pretty bottom-of-the-barrell.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Im surprised it took this long to be honest. After a brutal WC qualifying campaign, I thought they might get rid of him before the final started. When they didn't, I thought nothing short of an appearance in the Final would keep his job. When they went out in the second round, I was expecting it to happen. Glad he's gone, but they are in such a big hole to qualify for 2012, it may be too late already.

Queiroz really did nothing with these players. With the talent he had at his disposal, I never really saw a good performance from a Queiroz team. Honestly, outside of a pre WC friendly with Cameroon, I never Portugal play a good game. They barely made it in to the WC, and were less than impressive doing so.

I believe Paulo Bento will become the new manager. I'm not thrilled with this, but any change for this team is a good one. But like I said, given their position in Euro qualifying, it may be too late. 6 games left, they will probably need 5 wins. Gonna be tough.

Locke
09-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Im surprised it took this long to be honest. After a brutal WC qualifying campaign, I thought they might get rid of him before the final started. When they didn't, I thought nothing short of an appearance in the Final would keep his job. When they went out in the second round, I was expecting it to happen. Glad he's gone, but they are in such a big hole to qualify for 2012, it may be too late already.

Queiroz really did nothing with these players. With the talent he had at his disposal, I never really saw a good performance from a Queiroz team. Honestly, outside of a pre WC friendly with Cameroon, I never Portugal play a good game. They barely made it in to the WC, and were less than impressive doing so.

I believe Paulo Bento will become the new manager. I'm not thrilled with this, but any change for this team is a good one. But like I said, given their position in Euro qualifying, it may be too late. 6 games left, they will probably need 5 wins. Gonna be tough.

Fair enough, but lets face it, they're not exactly in a group stuffed with contenders. They were expected to take this group in a laugh, and they'll make it through to the Euro because their group is honestly that weak. Portugal has the least reason of anyone to complain about the FIFA/UEFA seeding system. Its the only thing thats been keeping them even moderately competitive for the past few years.

This is a team ranked 8th in the world.

Norway, Denmark, Cyprus and Iceland. The only team that should have given them trouble is Denmark as they were in the same WC qualifying group. And they shouldnt be dropping points to the group's whipping boys like Cyprus.

GirlySports
09-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Come on 7-0 against North Korea! Brazil could only score 2 on those guys!

VANFLAMESFAN
09-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Fair enough, but lets face it, they're not exactly in a group stuffed with contenders. They were expected to take this group in a laugh, and they'll make it through to the Euro because their group is honestly that weak. Portugal has the least reason of anyone to complain about the FIFA/UEFA seeding system. Its the only thing thats been keeping them even moderately competitive for the past few years.

This is a team ranked 8th in the world.

Norway, Denmark, Cyprus and Iceland. The only team that should have given them trouble is Denmark as they were in the same WC qualifying group. And they shouldnt be dropping points to the group's whipping boys like Cyprus.

You make it sound like there's a great injustice going on in Euro qualifying in that Portugal has an easy group, but the other bigger teams have a tough way in. I don't see much of a difference between Portugal's group and the groups with Spain, Italy, Holland, England Germany etc. They should go thru, but it doesn't always turn out that way. Denmark will be tough to beat twice and I think they are going to have to in order to go thru. Dropping points to Cyprus at home is inexcusable. They should be embarassed by that.

Portugal is definitely not the 8th ranked team in the world, I have problems putting them in the top 20 at this point. They've been brutal and they should use the benefit of the ranking system they get. But they haven't and it's pretty sad.

Given how bad things have been for Portugal lately, at least they're not France.

Locke
09-09-2010, 03:45 PM
You make it sound like there's a great injustice going on in Euro qualifying in that Portugal has an easy group, but the other bigger teams have a tough way in. I don't see much of a difference between Portugal's group and the groups with Spain, Italy, Holland, England Germany etc. They should go thru, but it doesn't always turn out that way. Denmark will be tough to beat twice and I think they are going to have to in order to go thru. Dropping points to Cyprus at home is inexcusable. They should be embarassed by that.

Portugal is definitely not the 8th ranked team in the world, I have problems putting them in the top 20 at this point. They've been brutal and they should use the benefit of the ranking system they get. But they haven't and it's pretty sad.

Given how bad things have been for Portugal lately, at least they're not France.

Sorry, that didnt come out right about the seeding. Many teams pull out the 'woe-is-us' card in regards to seeding because they land in a group with a major power (Germany/Spain/England <-Qualifiers only/Holland) and are in tough to qualify.

Whereas I would suggest that Portugal have a fairly easy group, Denmark are not exactly world beaters and realistically Norway, Cyprus and Iceland never had a chance. If Portugal were in the same seeding category as those 3 countries and got into a group with a Major power and Middle power, they more than likely would not qualify based on their form displayed over the last 6 years.

How they're ranked 8th is a mystery to me. They've done nothing to show that they warrant it. They havent had a solid result against a middle or major team in recent memory.

Thats one thing we can agree on. At least they're not France. Well, not yet anyways. They're on a pretty big downward trend.

d_phaneuf
09-09-2010, 03:57 PM
I would rather be France than Portugal to be honest based on talent and I think Blanc is a better manager than anyone Portugal can get short of the special one leaving Madrid

GirlySports
09-09-2010, 04:07 PM
I think Portugal being 8th is fair. Soccer unlike other sports has a ranking that goes back many years and major tournaments are given alot more points. Since they don't really play that many matches, the ranking doesn't change that much. Different than say tennis where they play every week and players lose or gain points defended from the year before on a weekly basis.

So how many games has Portugal played since 2004? 40? 50? can't be much more than that. And friendlies hardly count for anything.

So their record

2004 Euro finalists
2006 World Cup semifinalists (4th place)
2008 Euro quarterfinalists
2010 World Cup eighth-finalist

As bad as they are looking now, you'd be hard-pressed to find 10 teams that have a record better than this. Obviously drawing Cyprus, losing to Norway and perhaps not qualifying for Euro 2012 will knock them down into the teens, but for right now, I think their 8th ranking is justified.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-09-2010, 08:22 PM
^^^Well that's why the ranking system is silly. It should be about right now, the current squad. Figo, Simao, Deco, Pauleta were all huge parts of Portugal's runs in 04 and 06. All have retired internationally.

If the rankings were about the current squads at this point, Portugal would be hard pressed to crack the top 20.

GirlySports
09-09-2010, 11:48 PM
^^^Well that's why the ranking system is silly. It should be about right now, the current squad. Figo, Simao, Deco, Pauleta were all huge parts of Portugal's runs in 04 and 06. All have retired internationally.

If the rankings were about the current squads at this point, Portugal would be hard pressed to crack the top 20.

It's a bit silly yeah but you can't rank teams on one game. Would you drop Spain a bunch of places for getting drilled by Argentina? They just don't play enough games to have a real good ranking system. Portugal will not even play 10 games in 2011, hard to rank something like that. Games that are further back count less so those Portugal success in 04 and 06 will get weeded out to be like 1% eventually and if they don't qualify for Euro 2012 I'm sure they'll be outside the top 20.

d_phaneuf
09-10-2010, 12:23 PM
The Fifa rankings are a joke, and are politically motivated as well

the US 5 years ago was the 4th ranked team in the world

I like the ELO rankings better, they have Portugal 11th

KTown
09-10-2010, 12:47 PM
You've got to take the rankings for what they are. The point system they have is a good system its better than having a bunch of overpayed suits decide. We the fans can't decide because we will lean towards our home team as much as possible.

The rankings in a lot of things are done wrong, like how is Tiger Woods still the #1 golfer, well he accumulated enough points that its taking people a while to catch him. He is getting caught though.

If you judge it base on a week to week thing that won't work. Say Canada beat Mexico and the US in one week, should Canada be ranked in the top 20 or better all of a sudden. Hell no, they better do it often and consistantly because of all the beatings Canada has taken over the past decade. The czechs were ranked as hig has second in the world back in the 2000's. You can say they were overrated but the way they beat up on teams consistanly is what vaulted them, now the Czechs are getting beat up and they are falling.

People look into these things too much.

Locke
09-10-2010, 01:00 PM
You've got to take the rankings for what they are. The point system they have is a good system its better than having a bunch of overpayed suits decide. We the fans can't decide because we will lean towards our home team as much as possible.

The rankings in a lot of things are done wrong, like how is Tiger Woods still the #1 golfer, well he accumulated enough points that its taking people a while to catch him. He is getting caught though.

If you judge it base on a week to week thing that won't work. Say Canada beat Mexico and the US in one week, should Canada be ranked in the top 20 or better all of a sudden. Hell no, they better do it often and consistantly because of all the beatings Canada has taken over the past decade. The czechs were ranked as hig has second in the world back in the 2000's. You can say they were overrated but the way they beat up on teams consistanly is what vaulted them, now the Czechs are getting beat up and they are falling.

People look into these things too much.

No, the way Jan Koller beat up on teams is what vaulted them. How many times did they bring that guy back? I was surprised they didnt bring him in during the WC qualifiers!

Besides, whatever happened to Baros? That guy had so much potential but then he turned the suck all the way up to 20.

GirlySports
09-10-2010, 05:59 PM
No, the way Jan Koller beat up on teams is what vaulted them. How many times did they bring that guy back? I was surprised they didnt bring him in during the WC qualifiers!

Besides, whatever happened to Baros? That guy had so much potential but then he turned the suck all the way up to 20.

LIVERPOOL is what happened to Baros! :cool:

SebC
09-10-2010, 06:04 PM
The rankings in a lot of things are done wrong, like how is Tiger Woods still the #1 golfer, well he accumulated enough points that its taking people a while to catch him. He is getting caught though.Any (reasonable) ranking system will be a lagging indicator. That doesn't mean something is being done wrong, it's just an inherent flaw in rankings based on recent results.

KTown
09-11-2010, 12:42 AM

Yup ever since his golden boot at Euro 2004 he's been terrible. Its sad that we rely on him to score goals.

As per koller he was a beast but the man that made the team what they are was Pavel Nedved, that guy was awesome!

Locke
09-15-2010, 02:47 PM
I think VFF is going to love this:

Former Argentina boss Diego Maradona is interested in taking over the Portugal job after Carlos Queiroz was sacked last week, according to reports.http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=823338&sec=euro2012&cc=5901

d_phaneuf
09-15-2010, 05:31 PM
please happen

He will line Ronaldo up at Left Back, Nani will be in net

it will be fantastic

d_phaneuf
10-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Ben Foster (Birmingham City), Robert Green (West Ham United), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa)

Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Joe Cole (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Aston Villa)

Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham Hotspur), Kevin Davies (Bolton Wanderers), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

rubecube
10-04-2010, 01:06 PM
The Dutch cut De Jong for being a dirty POS.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5648009/netherlands-cuts-nigel-de-jong-roster-second-injury-causing-tackle-seven-months

NBC
10-05-2010, 06:44 AM
^ And Capello named Kevin Davies for being a dirty PoS. It all balances out. ;)

KTown
10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Scotland vs. Czechs in a key matchup this week.

If the Czech lose they can almost throw there qualifier hopes out the window.

Locke
10-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Scotland vs. Czechs in a key matchup this week.

If the Czech lose they can almost throw there qualifier hopes out the window.

Is this the day Jan Koller gets the call?

d_phaneuf
10-05-2010, 02:14 PM
^ And Capello named Kevin Davies for being a dirty PoS. It all balances out. ;)

that just makes no sense to me, especially when Andy Carroll wasn't called up to the u21's I expected him here

Kevin Davies is a fine striker for Bolton but Bolton play a certain style, and I don't expect England to become a bunch of long ball merchants against Montenegro

Capello is just messing around at this point, only reason for Davies, SWP, and Terry being involved at this point

KTown
10-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Is this the day Jan Koller gets the call?

One can only dream that Koller and Nedved where still young enough to play.

The youth movement is in full effect for the Czechs.

"Teenage striker Václav Kadlec has been called into the Czech Republic squad in place of the injured Milan Baroš for the UEFA EURO 2012 qualifiers at home to Scotland and away to Liechtenstein."

Nuje
10-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Can't wait for that. Tickets for the tournament go on sale in Spring. I have enough family in Poland to not worry about paying for a place to sleep.

Locke
10-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Another matchday is upon us, and just in time too for us split footie/hockey fans, hopefully we'll have some positive results to looks forward to today!

Matches:

Armenia vs. Slovakia
Kazakhstan vs. Belgium
Hungary vs.San Marino
Andorra vs. Macedonia
Georgia vs. Malta
Cyprus vs. Norway
Czech Republic vs. Scotland
Luxembourg vs. Belarus
Montenegro vs. Switzerland
Serbia vs. Estonia
Austria vs. Azerbaijan
Wales vs. Bulgaria
Moldova vs. Netherlands
Albania vs. Bosnia-Herzogovina
Slovenia vs. Faroe Islands
Northern Ireland vs. Italy
Germany vs. Turkey
Republic of Ireland vs. Russia
Greece vs. Latvia
Portugal vs. Denmark
Spain vs. Lithuania

Games to watch:

Northern Ireland vs. Italy - The Italians should be mindful of the Irish, in my mind this is a very even match, the Irish have been putting up steady results lately and Italy is a pretty fragile team at the moment after underperforming badly at the World Cup. Regardless, this should be a fairly straightforward Italian win, but you never know, the same could have been said about Italy playing against New Zealand.

Czech Republic vs. Scotland - 10 years ago you'd have penciled in a Czech win and moved along. Not so anymore, the Czech form has been round if anything earmarked by sloppy defending and a complete inability to score goals. The youth movement is in full swing for the Czechs but will be enough to get past Scotland who are in pretty decent form earning 4 points from 2 games to top the group for the moment. I'm looking at a draw here or a Scottish win.

Germany vs. Turkey - Normally you'd say that this is a German win as the big German machine rolls over the rest of Europe now as they did in WC qualifying. Its still an important match as Germany and Turkey are the favourites to win the group and they are level on points at the moment. This is the clash between group favourites, so how the points get spread here is going to affect how the rest of the group matches unfold. I expect a German win here, a Turkish win would be a surprise but with Low's tendency to experiment lately its not out of the question. Ballack is still injured until after the New Year.

Republic of Ireland vs. Russia - Oh the potential that would exist if the two halves of Ireland could patch up their differences and make one team. This is the 'good' Ireland in regards to having some of the bigger named players on it like Robbie Keane. This could be the most even game of the bunch, Russia's form is coughing and weezing like a Lada in its prime only scoring 2 goals in 2 matches to Ireland's 4. The Irish currently top their group and the Russians are rated to be the runner's up if not the most serious contenders to win the Group.

Portugal vs. Denmark - Now, this is a big game. The Portuguese have a serious problem with this Danish squad that was a thorn in their side all through WC qualifying both losing and drawing but never beating this Danish team. Couple that with a surprisingly goal filled draw against minnows Cyprus and a loss to Norway means that Portugal's Euro qualifying hopes are in dire straights. This is a huge game for them, and they need a win just to get back up the table.

Locke
10-08-2010, 10:36 AM
And, I dont think Portugal are going to get it, I could see a draw, but I could just as easily see an in-form Denmark take the victory over Portugal on Paulo Bento's first match in charge.

chris_yk
10-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Canada is leading Ukraine 2-0 after half an hour in a friendly in Ukraine which also happens to be Andriy Shevchenko's 100th cap.. goals by Simeon Jackson and Atiba Hutchison

Locke
10-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Oh God, how does Germany get the inimitable Howard Webb?:confused:

Locke
10-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Nice goal for the Germans, I hate Turkey, such a whiny team. I particularly dislike their goalkeeper Volkan so it was nice that his error led directly to the goal, and in true fashion, he whined about it to the ref.

5 extra minutes in the first half alone? Are you HIGH Howard Webb? WTF is that? This isnt Manchester United here Webb, Sir Alex wont give you a beej in the tunnel for the extra time....

d_phaneuf
10-08-2010, 02:04 PM
good effort from ireland

Locke
10-08-2010, 02:13 PM
good effort from ireland

Which one? Haha! No, you mean Northern, I know that.

Locke
10-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Wow. Jorge Low just blasted a ball into the crows out of frustration over a Podolski miss. Wow. I wonder if hes going to get fined or suspended for that.

I wish the camera guy had followed the ball, because the whole crowd would be looking at the end of the field and some guy probably just got totally brained with a shot that he wasnt expecting.

"I was watching the ball, its way over there, where the f*&^ did THAT shot come from?"

Hahaha!:D

Locke
10-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Republic of Ireland making a comeback from down 3-0 to Russia now 3-2.

Portugal up 2-0 from 2 quick Nani goals.

Germany up to 2-0 now with a goal from Ozil.

d_phaneuf
10-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Which one? Haha! No, you mean Northern, I know that.

haha ya it was Northern

although the republic's possible comeback from 3-0 down is good as well

Locke
10-08-2010, 02:39 PM
haha ya it was Northern

although the republic's possible comeback from 3-0 down is good as well

No kidding. Thats impressive. And Klose capitalizes on a poor clearance by Volkan, and then megs him for Germany's third. 3-0 to the good.

SuperMatt18
10-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Italy played well but were extremely wasteful against Northern Ireland, a tough place to go to and win though so I will take the draw.

Especially since Serbia was upset by Estonia 3-1 and dropped major points.

With Italy not in the best form, having three world cup teams in the group (Italy, Serbia, Slovenia) plus what looks to be a stronger Northern Ireland squad and an Estonia team who seem to no longer be an easy walkover, this group looks like it will be pretty wide open and could be a difficult group to qualify out of.

VANFLAMESFAN
10-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Finally a positive result for Portugal. 3-1 final!

It's nice for Bento to get his first win in charge. I'm not going to say there was a HUGE difference between Queroz and Bento's teams, but it seemed the team was having fun out there. And even when Carvalho conceded the own goal, Portugal didn't panic and a couple minutes later, Ronaldo scored the insurance marker.

Portugal's first two games put them in a huge hole and there still not out of it yet. They pretty much need to run the table to have a chance to win the group or get that second spot. Away to Iceland next, a match they should win. But I thought the same when they were at home to Cyprus, so anything is possible with this team.

Locke
10-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Pretty typical Italian result, they're still having trouble scoring.

Portugal finally earned some points, and thats a huge game as Denmark were one of the bigger teams in that group.

Germany had little to no trouble with Turkey, their quality has gone downhill. I was pretty pleased, 2 brutal mistakes by Volkan in conjunction with 2 passes of pure quality by Philip Lahm, the BEST wing-back defender in the world on both sides! That was a great Germany game to watch, but Podolski is going to have to start producing a little more. Nice to see Klose keeping a lot of that World Cup form going.

KTown
10-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Czechs get a much needed win to put them right back in the thick of things. A lost or tie today would have been an almost impossible hole to climb out of.

Mango
10-09-2010, 01:04 PM
I might be the only one watching...but Croatia and Israel are about to get under way.

Mango
10-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Croatia leads 2-0. Both goals courtesy of Niko Kranjcar.

Mango
10-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Croatia 2-1 over Israel and with that, Croatia gets three important points and to lead their respective group.

d_phaneuf
10-09-2010, 04:00 PM
http://feedessylphes.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/niko-kranjcar-croatia.jpg

Nice win for Spurs +7 over Greece

Locke
10-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Croatia 2-1 over Israel and with that, Croatia gets three important points and to lead their respective group.

Israel live and breathe by Yossi Benayoun. With him out for a long period of time they're effectively dead and buried.

Locke
10-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Someone please explain to me why exactly Rio automatically gets the armband back after Stevie has basically turned this team around? Why not just give it back to Terry while you're at it?:rolleyes:

d_phaneuf
10-11-2010, 01:08 PM
I dont know why it hasn't been Gerrard for the past 6 years

GirlySports
10-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Early games.

Turkey 0-1 down to Azerbaijan
Northern Ireland 0-1 down to FAROE ISLANDS WTF!?

About 30 minutes left in both matches.

Locke
10-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Early games.

Turkey 0-1 down to Azerbaijan
Northern Ireland 0-1 down to FAROE ISLANDS WTF!?

About 30 minutes left in both matches.

Rock On Faroe Islands! Shine on you crazy diamonds!!

Turkey being down is a huge surprise. I have little doubt that the German machine will roll on versus Kazakhstan, but I'm always a little worried that they dont adequately prepare against some of the smaller teams.

GirlySports
10-12-2010, 11:00 AM
FT

Azerbaijan 1-0 Turkey
Faroe Islands 1-1 Northern Ireland

Locke
10-12-2010, 11:11 AM
FT

Azerbaijan 1-0 Turkey
Faroe Islands 1-1 Northern Ireland

I would classify those both as surprising results. Turkey was heavily favoured to finish second in Germany's group.

GirlySports
10-12-2010, 11:53 AM
hmmmm Locke?

HT

Kazakhstan 0-0 Germany

Locke
10-12-2010, 12:00 PM
hmmmm Locke?

HT

Kazakhstan 0-0 Germany

This game has been an exemplary display of criminally poor finishing.

I'm worried. Germany arent even taking these guys seriously. On several occasions they've outmanned Germany on the counter and no one seems concerned about it, the wingbacks have lazily been getting back. Many chances have been wasted, turnovers in the midfield, its just been very, very sloppy.

If Kazakhstan dont score, Mertesacker is going to be the Man of the Match, hes disrupted probably 2 or 3, 3 on 1s. :blink:

Locke
10-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Klose. Absolutely Lethal. 1-0.

KTown
10-12-2010, 12:32 PM
The 18 year-old striker for the Czechs Kadlec just scored to give the Czechs a 2-0 lead.

It is only Liechtenstein, but hey a goal is a goal and this is good for his international experience.

Locke
10-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Germany makes it look all too easy with a 3-0 win over Kazakhstan.

That is a flattering score for the Germans.

d_phaneuf
10-12-2010, 01:16 PM
A couple Serbian fans are delaying the start of their game against Italy

Marcotti Gabriele Marcotti
Stewards have been kicked out of Serb sector. Cops opening single gate at back of Serb stand, will search fans one-by-one at exit
2 minutes ago

RAI reporting that Serb hooligans burst on to Serb team bus and set off smoke bombs as team left for ground
4 minutes ago

Players now on pitch and warming up as some guy with iron bar tries to break plexiglass
6 minutes ago

These are the guys I'm talking about (thanks to @Nerdyy) http://bit.ly/9grgkH
7 minutes ago

This is potentially v. dangerous. Hope to God somebody thought to open gates at back of stand if cops are going to rush.
8 minutes ago

Great. Cops massed at pitch-side plexiglass doors. Couple guys set off flares and drop them on cops.
9 minutes ago

While don't mind hoolies getting manhandled by cops, surely hundreds of peaceful "normal" fans among Serb bunch.
11 minutes ago

Now cops entering Serb stand. Cops kick out stewards. Firemen ready to open hydrants on Serbs. Big banner "Kossovo is Serbia".
12 minutes ago

OK, so 200 hundred cops on pitch, morons in stands chucking all sorts of stuff on field of play. Kids looking on looking puzzled.
13 minutes ago

... not exactly "family environment". Now hydrants on pitch, can't believe it's taking cops this long to figure out what to do...
15 minutes ago

Serbian GK Stojkovic (fmr Wigan) attacked before game. Weird thing is Italian FA bused in tens of thousands of children for match...

Locke
10-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Serbians are Clownshoes.:rolleyes:

Anyways, England just might be the single most boring team in the entire competition.

d_phaneuf
10-12-2010, 01:23 PM
they're playing a team with a 10-0-0 formation

d_phaneuf
10-12-2010, 01:25 PM
the Swiss are trying to end Gareth Bale's career as well, 2 yellows for kicking him and someone just kicked him in the face

d_phaneuf
10-12-2010, 01:39 PM
a flare almost hit the Italian goalie

looks like they are calling the game off now

GirlySports
10-12-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm always been reminded of this story, I've probably told it here before.

Paolo Maldini's first ever cap for Italy was against Yugoslavia in Zagreb in 1987. As a 17 year old he was expecting a hostile crowd. It was hostile alright, but against the home side and everyone was cheering for Italy. He didn't know why.

Then a few years later, he learned why. Zagreb is in Croatia and they were all anti-Yugoslavia because most of the team were Serbs.

I have a feeling this young Italan side now has similar memories and confusion about that region of the world. However this game is in Italy so it's going to be interesting how UEFA handles this.

Locke
10-12-2010, 01:55 PM
they're playing a team with a 10-0-0 formation

Its not that, its that the ball movement is so slow and predictable.

a flare almost hit the Italian goalie

looks like they are calling the game off now

You stay classy Serbia.;)

Sweden is also just getting the boots put to them.

GirlySports
10-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Where's police burtality when you need it!?

GirlySports
10-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Photos:

http://www.repubblica.it/sport/calcio/nazionale/2010/10/12/foto/incidenti_con_tifosi_serbi-7987686/1/?ref=HREA-1

Scary ****

Locke
10-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Photos:

http://www.repubblica.it/sport/calcio/nazionale/2010/10/12/foto/incidenti_con_tifosi_serbi-7987686/1/?ref=HREA-1

Scary ****

Thats hilarious. What a genius.

"Haha! They'll never identify me with this handy balaclava on! Its a good thing I dont have any unique, easy to identify tattoos...."

chris_yk
10-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Shame Mirko Vucinic got injured before this Montenegro - England game, would have been interesting to see how he did against them. England looking a bit better now but still not great with less than half an hour left.

d_phaneuf
10-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Ashley Young with a 6.0 dive in the box, gets a deserved yellow

love to see the refs do that when its deserved

chris_yk
10-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Kevin Davies on now... I sense a winning goal.....

d_phaneuf
10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
I sense Capello gone mad with not taking Rooney off

Locke
10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Ashley Young with a 6.0 dive in the box, gets a deserved yellow

love to see the refs do that when its deserved

Ditto, that was well done by the ref. Tight angle but he got it spot on.

England are getting to the point where they feel the need a penalty to get anything done.

d_phaneuf
10-12-2010, 02:35 PM
SWP on

for reasons unknown

Locke
10-12-2010, 02:38 PM
SWP on

for reasons unknown

England actually had a decent flurry there, Rooney finally sticking in and a great volley by Gerrard.

SWP will save the day! Isnt he like a City third stringer now? How does he still get England calls?

d_phaneuf
10-12-2010, 02:38 PM
handball...

how does the assistant miss that

d_phaneuf
10-12-2010, 02:39 PM
England actually had a decent flurry there, Rooney finally sticking in and a great volley by Gerrard.

SWP will save the day! Isnt he like a City third stringer now? How does he still get England calls?

the thing that makes no sense is he plays more than Johnson does for City

he must have incriminating picture of Capello, Mancini, and the Arabs who own Man City

Locke
10-12-2010, 02:44 PM
handball...

how does the assistant miss that

I dunno, I totally missed it. Then again, I am at work.

the thing that makes no sense is he plays more than Johnson does for City

he must have incriminating picture of Capello, Mancini, and the Arabs who own Man City

Thats weird. I dont watch City matches if I can help it because I hate them, but I was under the impression that Adam Johnson was really making a name for himself this season.

Then again, no one plays all that much for City other than Hart and Tevez. Mancini will be likely earn the title Mix-Master and pry it away from Mike Keenan.

OH! Montenegro hits the bar! England was just about losing there!! Wow.

chris_yk
10-12-2010, 02:49 PM
I dunno, I totally missed it. Then again, I am at work.

Thats weird. I dont watch City matches if I can help it because I hate them, but I was under the impression that Adam Johnson was really making a name for himself this season.

Then again, no one plays all that much for City other than Hart and Tevez. Mancini will be likely earn the title Mix-Master and pry it away from Mike Keenan.

OH! Montenegro hits the bar! England was just about losing there!! Wow.

He definitely is making a name for himself but he usually has to do it off the bench, he's only started 3 games in the Premier League and those were against the likes of West Brom and Sunderland.. I have no idea how SWP starts ahead of him

NBC
10-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Gotta love Serbs.

"The Euro 2012 qualifier between Italy and Serbia in Genoa was abandoned after Serbia fans continued to throw flares on to the pitch and light fireworks."

kdogg
10-12-2010, 02:52 PM
How are you guys watching all the games?

Is there a site that streams them? I'm guessing if so, it can't be discussed on this board.

NBC
10-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Poor display. I do not want to read the papers tomorrow. Ugh.

Locke
10-12-2010, 02:56 PM

Is there a site that streams them? I'm guessing if so, it can't be discussed on this board.

This is correct.

0-0 draw for England at home against Montenegro. Now thats a shocking result.

d_phaneuf
10-12-2010, 03:01 PM
bring back Sven

GirlySports
10-12-2010, 03:05 PM

Betting site for me. They showed like 15 games today :)
I think I can mention it because overseas betting sites are legal right? You have to make an account though.

GirlySports
10-12-2010, 03:06 PM
bring back Sven

Words I thought I'd never hear.

GirlySports
10-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Belgium and Austria tied 4-4!?

Usually it takes an entire year for either team to score 4 goals!

Locke
10-12-2010, 03:23 PM
bring back Sven

Bring back Stevie. Rio's first game back as Captain and its the same old England again.

VANFLAMESFAN
10-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Good result for Portugal. 3-1 away to Iceland. This game had a bunch of Portugal, and a bunch of the bad Portugal. But for the most part, it was a decent performance with plenty of good buildup. A few too many errant passes for my liking, but three points on the road is never a bad thing. Portugal now back on track, still not out of the hole, but things are looking better. Bento has the team playing a relaxed game. They don't panic. They knew they needed 6 points out of these last two games. The pressure was on them, but they stepped up.

Nice to see Ronaldo scoring again. He went like 12 games without an int'l goal and now he has 2 in 2 games. Nani was their best player v Denmark, but it was hard to notice him much today. Raul Mereles is a stud, and what a shot for the winning goal! Coentrao is going to be fun to watch the next few years. Almeida proving me right game in and game out, he's useless.

d_phaneuf
10-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Bring back Stevie. Rio's first game back as Captain and its the same old England again.

that actually yes

god no to sven, just predicting what the daily fail will have tomoro

Hades
10-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Holland rolling again, latest 4-1 over Sweden. Huntelaar has an amazing 8/12 Dutch goals so far, thinking he's challanging for a spot in the starting 11.

kdogg
10-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Thats hilarious. What a genius.

"Haha! They'll never identify me with this handy balaclava on! Its a good thing I dont have any unique, easy to identify tattoos...."

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/euro2012qualifying/story/Ringleader-of-Serb-Italy-riot-arrested

Police found the alleged instigator of the rioting in the trunk of a bus that was due to take the Serbian fans home from the Euro 2012 qualifier. While his face was covered by a mask during the violence, police identified him by his tattooed arms and found explosive material with him.

flylock shox
10-13-2010, 10:06 AM
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with these two host nations - and whether Ukraine can hold up its end of the responsibilities. These two countries are worlds apart (1st and 2nd world in fact). Hopefully it goes smoothly. It should be a coming out party for Poland, and a bit of an economic boon for Ukraine.

GirlySports
10-13-2010, 10:22 AM
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with these two host nations - and whether Ukraine can hold up its end of the responsibilities. These two countries are worlds apart (1st and 2nd world in fact). Hopefully it goes smoothly. It should be a coming out party for Poland, and a bit of an economic boon for Ukraine.

It'll probably be more in Poland now instead of 50/50. Was supposed to be 4 stadium in each country, not sure that can happen now.

How Ukraine does will also affect Russia's World Cup bid. I know that's unfair as they are different countries but it may sway some voters.

d_phaneuf
10-13-2010, 11:34 AM
the world cups bids are decided in December of this year for 2018 and 2022 so Russia won't have any advantage/disadvantage of the Ukraine's success

I think its pretty much decided though that its going to be England 2018 and likely US 2022 with Qatar having an outside shot in 2022

GirlySports
10-31-2010, 06:02 PM
He's looking at the new advertising logo on the shirt... yeah...

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/PA-9274487.jpg

d_phaneuf
11-17-2010, 01:09 PM
friendly's today

Messi all ready scored a wundergoal to win it in extra time for Argentina over Brazil

England are playing France right now

Portugal and Spain start later, those are the only real two marquee games but there are plenty others

in qualifying earlier today Spurs +7 won 3-0 against Malta led by 2 goals from Kranjcar to go top of their group

Locke
11-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Germany's youth squad +4 is playing pretty well against Sweden with 60+% Possession.

I'm watching England vs. France, I dont know why though, a mediocre team against a legitimately awful team. Why do I even bother?

d_phaneuf
11-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Germany's youth squad +4 is playing pretty well against Sweden with 60+% Possession.

I'm watching England vs. France, I dont know why though, a mediocre team against a legitimately awful team. Why do I even bother?

I'm watching but ya, this lineup doesn't excite me

wish he had gone with an actual youth team instead of having some guys like that and wasting spots on Barry, Rio, Lescott, Milner (who may be young but isn't good)

with the two teams on the field right now France should win

d_phaneuf
11-17-2010, 01:22 PM
and there it is

benzema

d_phaneuf
11-17-2010, 01:23 PM
why is Jagielka playing RB, not only is he better than the two playing at CB but it's not his position

I hate Capello

Locke
11-17-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm watching but ya, this lineup doesn't excite me

wish he had gone with an actual youth team instead of having some guys like that and wasting spots on Barry, Rio, Lescott, Milner (who may be young but isn't good)

with the two teams on the field right now France should win

And the mediocre team allows a goal against the legitimately awful team within 15 minutes.

Does anyone in England know how to defend? Anyone?

Yeah, this English lineup is not proficient in the playing of football. Capello should take a much less serious approach to friendlies, he should let the kids get blooded in games like this, who cares if they lose if they're fielding an experimental squad? But when you're losing and its still most of your first team players, thats when it gets embarassing.

Look at Germany, they're playing 4 full National Team players, of those only three I would call regulars (Adler, Schweinsteiger and Khedira) and the others are on the fringe, youth players or are regular subs, and even then its because Adler and Schweinsteiger need match fitness from injury so they're getting it in this game.

d_phaneuf
11-17-2010, 01:42 PM
at this point I am just hoping Capello goes away sooner rather than later

it seems like he is trying too hard to act like the smartest guy in the room, rather than doing what the right thing is, as evidenced by his refusal to play Gerrard off Rooney at the WC last summer

chris_yk
11-17-2010, 01:45 PM
And the mediocre team allows a goal against the legitimately awful team within 15 minutes.

Does anyone in England know how to defend? Anyone?

Yeah, this English lineup is not proficient in the playing of football. Capello should take a much less serious approach to friendlies, he should let the kids get blooded in games like this, who cares if they lose if they're fielding an experimental squad? But when you're losing and its still most of your first team players, thats when it gets embarassing.

Look at Germany, they're playing 4 full National Team players, of those only three I would call regulars (Adler, Schweinsteiger and Khedira) and the others are on the fringe, youth players or are regular subs, and even then its because Adler and Schweinsteiger need match fitness from injury so they're getting it in this game.

I'm surprised after the last few weeks and with this being an experimental lineup anyways that Nedum Onuoha didn't get a look in at right back for this game.

Locke
11-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Wow, Belgium 2-0 over Russia, consider me surprised.

d_phaneuf
11-17-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm surprised after the last few weeks and with this being an experimental lineup anyways that Nedum Onuoha didn't get a look in at right back for this game.

I don't get why Richards didn't get the start there today, I would have him as first choice for the senior team

its the weakest position by far though on the team though, although it is nice that for the first time in forever that distinction doesn't belong to the keeper

d_phaneuf
11-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Gerrard injured, doesn't seem serious

just a hamstring injury from the way he stopped

d_phaneuf
11-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Crouch on for Gerrard and scores within seconds, so by that I can surmise that Crouch>>>Gerrard?

Locke
11-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Crouch on for Gerrard and scores within seconds, so by that I can surmise that Crouch>>>Gerrard?

Sure, you tell yourself that. We'll keep Gerrard and you can keep Crouch, seems a fair deal to Liverpool fans. ;)

Anyways, England were....underwhelming. They truly got bossed by France at Wembley. Not the most inspiring performance from anyone.

Other than Gerrard really, I thought he played great, had quite a few great chances when England were creating nothing. Hes the man.

d_phaneuf
11-17-2010, 03:04 PM
ya like pretty much always he was the only one to really show anything

he has been their most consistent performer in an England shirt since Scholes

Locke
11-17-2010, 04:01 PM

But Rio is the Captain....:rolleyes:

d_phaneuf
11-17-2010, 04:17 PM
this is hilarious, way to go Nani

NaX8NTtkllw

VANFLAMESFAN
11-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah, that was a pretty poor by Nani. I guess he didn't realize he was in an offside position. It was close.

That would have been a pretty sick goal by Ronaldo, great move and cheeky chip. Oh well, 4-0 PORTUGAL!!!!!

VANFLAMESFAN
11-17-2010, 10:33 PM
I've watched that replay a couple more times now, and now I'm a little confused as to whether or not that should have been called back. To me, it looks like Nani heads the ball after the ball had crossed the line. Should that not be a goal?? It shouldn't matter if Nani was in an offside position(which was very close as well).

Now, I could be wrong in me breaking down the rule, and if I am, please correct me, but to me, that's a good goal.

NBC
11-18-2010, 07:24 AM

I think you failed to add the green text.

Locke
02-09-2011, 10:31 AM
International Friendlies today.

I'll be watching Germany vs. Italy personally.

Nothing too special, not expecting any surprises.

Mango
02-09-2011, 11:58 AM
I just finished watching Croatia defeat the Czech Republic 4-2 in friendly play. Despite the score, Croatia looked real lost without Luka Modric in the midfield. He is absolutely the cog that keeps that team together. Luckily, he will be back in time for more Euro qualifications in a couple of weeks. Finally Slaven Bilic is letting some of the younger Croatians play and get some experience.

d_phaneuf
02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
England look terrible

John Terry is making Dawson look fleet of foot, and I like Dawson a lot but he isn't very quick

Rooney and Bent don't work well together

Lampard has been invisible, still don't get why he is playing

Wilshere looking good tho

and I hope to see Kyle Walker on in the 2nd half for Glen Johnson

Eriksen for Denmark tho looks to be the real deal, I read Liverpool are after him, they won't be the only ones this summer I think

Locke
02-09-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm surprised with Germany, they sent out a pretty complete lineup, not too many kids getting a look. I think that might have something to do with a U21 game being on at the same time.

d_phaneuf
02-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Benzema just got DeJong'd in the Brazil/France game

straight red for Hernandes

and Ashley Young!

2-1 Engerland

Locke
02-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Benzema just got DeJong'd in the Brazil/France game

straight red for Hernandes

and Ashley Young!

2-1 Engerland

Interesting. See, good things happen when you get rid of Wayne 'The Sulk' Rooney.

France hasnt hit the net once the entire first half. Not too surprising really.

d_phaneuf
02-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Rossi scores for Italy to tie

Benzema has given france a 1-0 lead on Brazil

d_phaneuf
02-11-2011, 01:03 AM
saw an article where Capello said Wilshere is a permanent member of the senior team going forward, nice to see progress is being made

now if he just makes Adam Johnson the same and drops Glen Johnson completely...

NBC
02-11-2011, 02:46 AM
I saw something on the Sky Sports wire a week or so ago where Capello said he made a mistake taking Lennon to the World Cup over Walcott. Didn't see the full story, but the headline.

rubecube
02-11-2011, 02:52 AM
I saw something on the Sky Sports wire a week or so ago where Capello said he made a mistake taking Lennon to the World Cup over Walcott. Didn't see the full story, but the headline.

Why? Walcott was garbage in training and Lennon had been lights out before being injured last year.

SeoulFire
02-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Interesting. See, good things happen when you get rid of Wayne 'The Sulk' Rooney.

France hasnt hit the net once the entire first half. Not too surprising really.

Or perhaps it is the absence of Flopmaster G.

Locke
02-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Or perhaps it is the absence of Flopmaster G.

Haha, yeah, maybe, but when Rooney is subbed and his sub instantly comes on and scores the game winner....that has nothing to do with Stevie.

Besides, maybe check the recent goal scoring form for England between Gerrard and Rooney.;)

SeoulFire
02-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Sure. If I remember correctly it would be about 3-1 Gerrard in a little over a year. I can't recall the number of caps each have had during that time but oh well.

Nobody on England has performed well when it has counted and that includes Gerrard. If you took off the glasses and the blinders you may be able to see this.

Locke
02-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Sure. If I remember correctly it would be about 3-1 Gerrard in a little over a year. I can't recall the number of caps each have had during that time but oh well.

Nobody on England has performed well when it has counted and that includes Gerrard. If you took off the glasses and the blinders you may be able to see this.

Haha, I know, I'm just busting your chops because I think Rooney is stunningly overrated. Honestly, most English players are heavily overrated by their own media.

As for who plays well for England? I frankly dont care, I enjoy watching English mediocrity. I cheer for Germany, and I think the last time those two met things went okay....;)

d_phaneuf
02-11-2011, 11:29 AM

FABIO CAPELLO last night revealed his biggest World Cup regret - leaving out Arsenal's Theo Walcott.

The England boss admitted he should have picked Walcott rather than Spurs winger Aaron Lennon for South Africa. Capello, who is still considering his squad for the February 9 game with Denmark, said: "I am really happy that Theo is back.

"He is playing how I remember when he started to play with us.

"It was a tough decision leaving Theo out for the World Cup. He played only a few games before the end of the season, but he was not the same player.

"Instead, he played every time with fear in the tackle. He was not able to win back the ball quickly and then when he turned, his movement was not fast, like it is now.

"Even when I decided not to pick him, I still thought he would be a player I would think about after the World Cup, because he could play 25 minutes and be dangerous.

"But I made a mistake not selecting him. He is so fast he can make the difference in every moment. I should have taken him."

Walcott's hat-trick in Croatia was probably the highlight of the Italian's reign as England boss .

And Capello added: "It was a really difficult choice. Lennon was playing very well. Theo was not at the top at that moment.

"I chose Lennon and not Theo for this reason, after the training in Austria and the Japan game.

"Lennon was perfect. He played two games in the World Cup then got injured. Looking back, this is one change I would have made for the World Cup."

like typical Capello he doesn't make sense, because he ways Lennon was perfect and then got injured

I thought Lennon was terrible at the world cup, but his form going in was excellent, and I don't really blame him for his play because I don't know any RM in the world that would be decent with Glen Johnson behind them

however, in terms of mistakes not taking Walcott is way down the list of things Fabio messed up at the World Cup, constructing an entire plan around Emile Heskey making room for an out of form and injured Wayne Rooney is likely at the top

and also, Lennon was first choice RM, if anything was a mistake it was taking SWP as the backup

SeoulFire
02-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Haha fair enough!

I will be the first to criticize Rooney for his overwhelming display of mediocrity (and even that is being generous) but it seems as though whenever anybody puts on the Three Lions their is a stunning transformation into a fat sassy millionaire who doesn't give a crap.

Besides, it's not his fault he was selected ;)

rubecube
02-11-2011, 11:35 AM
like typical Capello he doesn't make sense, because he ways Lennon was perfect and then got injured

I thought Lennon was terrible at the world cup, but his form going in was excellent, and I don't really blame him for his play because I don't know any RM in the world that would be decent with Glen Johnson behind them

however, in terms of mistakes not taking Walcott is way down the list of things Fabio messed up at the World Cup, constructing an entire plan around Emile Heskey making room for an out of form and injured Wayne Rooney is likely at the top

and also, Lennon was first choice RM, if anything was a mistake it was taking SWP as the backup

Yeah the list is pretty long:

- Taking John Terry after the whole Bridge fiasco
- Not benching Rooney when it was clear he wasn't effective.
- Playing Lampard and Gerrard in the middle, which has never worked
- James Milner
- Deciding that Joe Hart wasn't experienced enough to play
- So many substitution errors
- Playing slow as #### Gareth Barry

d_phaneuf
02-11-2011, 11:41 AM
and like it or not for the next probly 8 years when fit Rooney will be in every England squad, whether he is in form or not, which is the problem, when he is in form has he showed last season he can be a top 5 player in the world, but he hasn't shown that for awhile...

at least with the rest of the side though Capello is showing that certain players don't have a permanent place

Hart is the goalie for probly the next decade, happy with that

Dawson, Cahill, and Jagielka have been getting games at CB
Ashley Cole should be good at LB for a few more years and by that time Gibbs should be ready
Steve Kelly or Kyle Walker should be ready to take over at RB by Euro qualifying games next fall

and most importantly he seems to have moved away from the 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1

gives Rooney more room to roam, it likely means Carroll up top and I think he can play that role well, two wide midfielders to choose from (Johnson, Lennon, Walcott, Young, depending on form)

and for the holding 2 midfielders Wilshere and another CM, which for the next little while is probly Lampard or Gerrard, but hopefully soon enough it's someone like Rodwell, Henderson, Huddlestone

think the next 4 years have the potential to probably produce the 'best' England side in the last decade, although it's probably the optimistic view, but the u21, u19, u17 sides that performed well over the last few years are turning in to good senior players

NBC
02-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Most people over here couldn't fathom that he took Ledley King with his litany of injury concerns, regardless of his on-field footballing qualities.

d_phaneuf
02-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Most people over here couldn't fathom that he took Ledley King with his litany of injury concerns, regardless of his on-field footballing qualities.

I dono how he originally took him over Dawson

same with the fact that just now Jagielka is getting looks with the squad when he should have been for the past 2 years

and Upson not only making it but being picked for the game against Germany

Alex.ua
02-18-2011, 04:52 AM
EURO 2012 ticket

To apply for tickets for UEFA EURO 2012 you need to create a personal account...

https://ticketing.uefa.com/euro2012-en/default.aspx

d_phaneuf
03-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Wales are going to beat England on saturday

and when they do, Capello should immediately quit

this team he named, and making JT captain again, may be the worst yet

Locke
03-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Wales are going to beat England on saturday

and when they do, Capello should immediately quit

this team he named, and making JT captain again, may be the worst yet

You're dreaming. Wales may well win, but Capello isnt going anywhere.

He'll blame the fact that hes got a very shallow team right now.

Making John Terry Captain is an asinine move. Completely stupid. But whatever, he seems to have a hardon for Central defenders so have at it.

I'm excited for the upcoming Germany matches, getting to see guys like Grobkreutz and Schurrle should be fun.

d_phaneuf
03-22-2011, 03:30 PM
I know he won't quit, but he shouldn't be allowed back in to the country

if the Back 4 is Johnson, Terry, Dawson, Cole

Wales will score, Terry and Dawson are both better in the box and in the air, Bale, Bellamy, and Ramsey will torch them with speed

just waiting until september 2012 at this point

Locke
03-23-2011, 09:41 AM
I know he won't quit, but he shouldn't be allowed back in to the country

if the Back 4 is Johnson, Terry, Dawson, Cole

Wales will score, Terry and Dawson are both better in the box and in the air, Bale, Bellamy, and Ramsey will torch them with speed

just waiting until september 2012 at this point

Haha, thats funny! You're not fired, we just dont want to let you back into the country. You'll have to manage England from France or Wales.

To be fair though, I've found that Cole and Johnson have been playing a lot better lately. I cant speak for Dawson because I havent really seen him play.

The issue is that no one is really scoring. Rooney has been out of form, granted hes been much better lately than he was at the start of the year, Crouch is inconsistent at best, Defoe is only consistently injured and Carroll just got back to playing and has only ever played 1 game for England so I dont know what to expect from him.

By the way, I didnt watch the Spurs game on the weekend but saw the review show, holy crap did Defoe miss like 4 or 5 complete sitters. Harry must have wanted to punch him in the face.

d_phaneuf
03-23-2011, 11:45 AM
the problem isn't Cole he may be an absolute tool but he is one of the best LB's in the world

It's Johnson getting torched by Bale and also Dawson and Terry are both great defenders in the box but lack foot speed, you need someone with some speed to play with them (at Chelsea Terry has had Carvalho and now Luiz, Dawson has King/Gallas/Kaboul who are all quick). I just think it's a bad combo, Jagielka would be a good partner for either.

The strike force has something like 30 goals in a combined 130 games this season in the league

and yes Defoe is terrible, and what made it even worse was you could see that under his kit he had a "100 goals" shirt because he is on 99 right now for Spurs, and by the end of the day he should have been at about 105

I at least hope Capello plays Rooney and Carroll together, seems like it should be a good fit, Carroll up top and he is good in the air, allows Rooney to drop back a bit like he does for Man U

Locke
03-23-2011, 12:53 PM
the problem isn't Cole he may be an absolute tool but he is one of the best LB's in the world

It's Johnson getting torched by Bale and also Dawson and Terry are both great defenders in the box but lack foot speed, you need someone with some speed to play with them (at Chelsea Terry has had Carvalho and now Luiz, Dawson has King/Gallas/Kaboul who are all quick). I just think it's a bad combo, Jagielka would be a good partner for either.

The strike force has something like 30 goals in a combined 130 games this season in the league

and yes Defoe is terrible, and what made it even worse was you could see that under his kit he had a "100 goals" shirt because he is on 99 right now for Spurs, and by the end of the day he should have been at about 105

I at least hope Capello plays Rooney and Carroll together, seems like it should be a good fit, Carroll up top and he is good in the air, allows Rooney to drop back a bit like he does for Man U

I just dont think Capello should be playing Carroll at all unless the points are a sure thing. He just got back to fitness, playing him in an international game is a risk.

Knowing Capello, it'll be a 0-0 or 1-1 game and he'll be desperate at the end and throw Carroll on.

As for Defoe, I was watching the highlights and I couldnt believe it, I figured Spurs supporters must have been going out of their minds. He could have had a one in a million game there, and in a way he did, just not the way most people would like it.

Locke
03-24-2011, 08:46 AM
England just got a huge let-off.

Tottenham winger Gareth Bale (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/77653/Gareth-Bale) has been ruled out of Wales' Euro 2012 qualifier against England on Saturday with a hamstring injury.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/897993/gareth-bale-ruled-out-of-wales-v-england-clash---report?cc=5901

d_phaneuf
03-24-2011, 12:21 PM
ya thats big, should be a win now for sure

Locke
03-24-2011, 01:17 PM
ya thats big, should be a win now for sure

I dont get the huge rating for Gareth Bale. He has had several exceptional games, but I dont class him as a huge difference maker.

I dont think Gareth Bale was going to single-handedly defeat England. He could have played a major role, but its unlikely he'd be the single deciding factor.

SebC
03-24-2011, 05:28 PM
I dont get the huge rating for Gareth Bale. He has had several exceptional games, but I dont class him as a huge difference maker.

I dont think Gareth Bale was going to single-handedly defeat England. He could have played a major role, but its unlikely he'd be the single deciding factor.Gareth Bale is like Glencross. He doesn't have the best production, but doesn't need a lot of opportunities or a nice setup to score.

d_phaneuf
03-24-2011, 07:36 PM

I dont think Gareth Bale was going to single-handedly defeat England. He could have played a major role, but its unlikely he'd be the single deciding factor.

he's better than any player on England, any time you have the best player (and he is going up against the other teams obvious weakness in Glen Johnson) you have a decent enough chance to win

d_phaneuf
03-24-2011, 07:46 PM
the only England player who I think can match him in talent is Rooney of last year, and while he has been better lately he hasn't matched last season's form

him being out is a huge blow for Wales, they had a punchers chance before, I don't think they do now

Locke
03-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Who is watching what? I'm loosely following Holland vs. Hungary.

Interesting notes, van Nistelrooy on the bench and huge injury problems for the Dutch with no Robben, Stekelenberg, van Bommel, Janssen or Huntelaar.

Granted, they shouldnt really need them against Hungary.

d_phaneuf
03-25-2011, 01:47 PM
ya I have the dutch game on a stream

nice goal by Rafa

Locke
03-25-2011, 02:28 PM
ya I have the dutch game on a stream

nice goal by Rafa

I'm too busy to really watch, but my stats sheet says the Dutch have 2 shots and 2 goals and Kiraly has yet to make a save.

No surprises here.

wpgflamesfan
03-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Watching the Slovenia - Italy game here. Rooting for Slovenia. Italy was definitely they better team in the first but couldn't get one past Handanovic whose made a few nice save so far.

Locke
03-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Love it, Spain losing 1-0 despite 80% possession.

SuperMatt18
03-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Love it, Spain losing 1-0 despite 80% possession.

I still think they were lucky to win the World Cup, if only Robben was not useless and could have scored one of his breakaways. Plus it was a year where Italy, Brazil, and Germany all sent weaker teams then usual to the tournament.

The pundits praise them because they play "beautiful football" which personally bores the hell out of me because all they do all game is pass it to each other in the midfield.

It does look like Spain's time at the top may be closing to an end though since their "A" Squad has lost to Switzerland, Portugal, Argentina and tied Mexico within the last 10 months.

d_phaneuf
03-25-2011, 03:54 PM
They don't play beautiful football at all in my opinion, they won because they didn't allow a goal at either the 08 Euro or 2010 WC in an elimination game

they are the definition of why international football doesn't match club football, all the talent in the world and they play every game like Wolverhampton on the road

Lee of Red
03-25-2011, 11:49 PM
England aren't going to win this, simply because they are their own worst enemy. I can feel them now, already panicking about what's going to get written on the back page if they even just get a draw.

Time will show Speed making Ramsey captain to be a masterstroke. Wales will win 1-0 with the ugliest goal possible.

Locke
03-26-2011, 08:44 AM
I still think they were lucky to win the World Cup, if only Robben was not useless and could have scored one of his breakaways. Plus it was a year where Italy, Brazil, and Germany all sent weaker teams then usual to the tournament.

The pundits praise them because they play "beautiful football" which personally bores the hell out of me because all they do all game is pass it to each other in the midfield.

It does look like Spain's time at the top may be closing to an end though since their "A" Squad has lost to Switzerland, Portugal, Argentina and tied Mexico within the last 10 months.

Thats the new 'greatest way to play.' Didnt you know?

I personally hate it, but I guess you have to admit that its effective.

They don't play beautiful football at all in my opinion, they won because they didn't allow a goal at either the 08 Euro or 2010 WC in an elimination game

they are the definition of why international football doesn't match club football, all the talent in the world and they play every game like Wolverhampton on the road

You realize that Spain are basically a club team. Spain are Barcelona with Casillas and Xabi Alonso.

Personally, I love international matches and think they're far superior to club competitions. But then I dont tend to watch crappy teams.

Crappy teams are crappy teams, whether they belong to a country or an independent owner.

SeoulFire
03-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Fat Frank with a penalty to give England the lead.

d_phaneuf
03-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Parker was MOTM for me, all action for the 80 something minutes he played

I thought it was a good performance by most of the team, Rooney and Bent were a little lazy at times (especially Bent on Wilshere's through ball that he could have gotten and likely scored on)

Locke
03-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Hoping the Germans put in an inspired performance.

Mango
03-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Worst soccer Croatia has ever played. They fall 1-0 to Georgia, who scored in the 90th on their first and only shot on goal. I think this is it for Slaven Bilic. To play with one striker the whole game and clog the midfield when Modric should be given room...I'm at a loss of what to say.

Locke
03-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Worst soccer Croatia has ever played. They fall 1-0 to Georgia, who scored in the 90th on their first and only shot on goal. I think this is it for Slaven Bilic. To play with one striker the whole game and clog the midfield when Modric should be given room...I'm at a loss of what to say.

On the upside, Georgia finally wins a game. Go Georgia!

And Germany up 1-0 within the first 5 minutes.

Locke
03-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Germany strolling along.

d_phaneuf
03-26-2011, 06:48 PM

I watched part of the game and thought it was weird Bilic didn't attack more, Modric almost seemed to be playing a holding role when I watched

in the other Croatian matches he has had a free role behind the striker(s) and excelled at it

I still think they qualify though, and they should win the group

d_phaneuf
03-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Germany strolling along.

they have been the best team in qualifying for the last 5 or 6 major tournaments

they seem to score goals for fun on these lower echelon teams, whereas other 'powerhouses' play down to their competition

troutman
03-27-2011, 10:54 AM

How should they play? Low percentage long passes?

d_phaneuf
03-27-2011, 11:18 AM
You realize that Spain are basically a club team. Spain are Barcelona with Casillas and Xabi Alonso.

and without Messi, and without any desire to attack

that's what is frustrating, Spain could play like Barcelona yet they choose not too

Locke
03-27-2011, 11:57 AM
and without Messi, and without any desire to attack

that's what is frustrating, Spain could play like Barcelona yet they choose not too

I know, but I think the bigger influence there is Guardiola vs Ancient del Bosque.

VANFLAMESFAN
03-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Anyone catch the Chile goal vs Portugal in their friendly yesterday?? Pretty sick. That's close to 40yds.
3WVd1dwPjQ4

Wasn't a great match, Portugal didn't look terrible and probably deserved to have found a winner in the second half, but they didn't. Very annoying that I have to wait until June for their next meaningful game. Almost 8 months between qualifiers is silly.

GirlySports
03-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Anyone catch the Chile goal vs Portugal in their friendly yesterday?? Pretty sick. That's close to 40yds.
3WVd1dwPjQ4

Wasn't a great match, Portugal didn't look terrible and probably deserved to have found a winner in the second half, but they didn't. Very annoying that I have to wait until June for their next meaningful game. Almost 8 months between qualifiers is silly.

It is a bit silly to wait 8 months but you're in one of those little groups and you got a bye this month! The players probably don't mind, there's already too much futbol on the calendar.

HHW
03-28-2011, 10:31 PM
I caught the Holland - Hungary match last Friday, and the rematch tomorrow in Amsterdam could be entertaining. Let's hope that Hungary intends to play instead of simply avoiding embarassment.

Oranje looked very strong in Budapest; the injuries to Robben and Van Bommel simply allowed Van der Vaart and Affelay to have a turn in the midfield, and the team didn't miss a beat. They were very fluid in their passing, and at times toyed with their oponents. In the build-up and with their wing play, they have learned to use their considerable speed. They also have become a very lethal counter-attacking team, an aspect of their game which was perhaps lacking in years past.

Spain can have the possession game that we taught them in the first place. Effective, but not exactly dynamic against modern defences. Dutch footbal is evolving as always.

"Aanvallen!"

Locke
03-29-2011, 09:07 AM
I caught the Holland - Hungary match last Friday, and the rematch tomorrow in Amsterdam could be entertaining. Let's hope that Hungary intends to play instead of simply avoiding embarassment.

Oranje looked very strong in Budapest; the injuries to Robben and Van Bommel simply allowed Van der Vaart and Affelay to have a turn in the midfield, and the team didn't miss a beat. They were very fluid in their passing, and at times toyed with their oponents. In the build-up and with their wing play, they have learned to use their considerable speed. They also have become a very lethal counter-attacking team, an aspect of their game which was perhaps lacking in years past.

Spain can have the possession game that we taught them in the first place. Effective, but not exactly dynamic against modern defences. Dutch footbal is evolving as always.

"Aanvallen!"

That was an easy game for them.

I'll be watching the Germany vs. Australia friendly.

chris_yk
03-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Canada beat #37 ranked Belarus 1-0 in a friendly today, good boost ahead of the Gold Cup in June!