PDA

View Full Version : Rich Sutter, Hurricanes differ on reason for departure

Azure
08-20-2010, 10:34 AM
The Lethbridge Hurricanes issued a news release Thursday to officially sever ties with Rich Sutter.

The release said Sutter is leaving the Western Hockey League team to pursue “other interests.”

“Rich Sutter is a longtime friend and his hard work, dedication and expertise have been a great help to both myself and the Lethbridge Hurricanes organization,” head coach and general manager Rich Preston said in the release. “We would like to wish him all the best in his future endeavours.”

Only one problem. Reached by phone Thursday night, Sutter said he has no idea what those other interests are.

In fact, Sutter has a totally different version of events and says the team’s troubled finances led to the split. Published reports say the Hurricanes lost over $260,000 in the 2009-10 season.

“The part about me not being there is true,” he said. “But the only way I could stay here is if I volunteered my time, which is what I more or less did a year ago. I have a family at home. It cost me money to work for this organization a year ago. It’s embarrassing.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Rich+Sutter+Hurricanes+differ+reason+departure/3421142/story.html#ixzz0xAIdA7H3

Hopefully this means someone will clean house, because it would be about time. Rich Preston went to try and coach the wrong team.

Locke
08-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah, people tend to leave if they dont get paid. That is pretty embarassing.

Buff
08-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Azure, the house will never be cleaned as long as it is community owned. The same old thing will happen year in and year out. Big egos will get on the board and try to stick their nose into the business when they clearly don't know what they are doing. The people who complain don't buy into the team, or if they do, they don't go to the AGM to let their voice be heard. As a result the same people/type of people keep getting elected to the board.

I've got a couple of direct connections to the board, and oh, the things I wish I could talk about in public.

Azure
08-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Well I'm wondering how much longer they can keep on losing money like that before something needs to be done.

Yeah_Baby
08-23-2010, 11:55 AM
CP should pool our money and buy the Hurricanes. If only for the catharsis of firing Mumbles!

Buff
08-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Well I'm wondering how much longer they can keep on losing money like that before something needs to be done.

A key ingredient to their money losses is the construction at the Enmax Center. I don't know how much the Hurricane's have had to put in, but there are a lot of other things factored in, such as the loss of seats (up to 1000 last year and even more this year) due to the construction. Not that they 'Canes sell out the building but there are times when they do. Another key factor was the general public's negative opinion of the board. The last two years people were upset with the way the team was running and they lost fan support as people "sat out" in protest. With all that talk dying down, you'll see less people protesting over the next couple of years.

I think they need a better marketing plan though. Nowhere in the city of Lethbridge have I been able to find a Hurricane's ball cap for my son. Should I really have to wait until the season begins and buy tickets to a game to go to their shop?