PDA

View Full Version : Picking an NFL team to cheer for...

alltherage
07-29-2010, 11:01 AM
I have really started liking NFL the more I watch it, and each year I learn more and more. Its an epic, intense game, and I love the personalities, the clashes, etc etc. Most of my buddys are Cowboys fans, so I probably know the most about them.

I am trying to pick an NFL team. I dont want to go with the Cowboys... partly because I dont want to join just because of the influence of my friends. Partly because I dont know if I really connect with any of the players or the situation... I'm just not attracted to them as a team.

I think I have likely picked a team, but I also know that as a total n00b I can probably expect lots of challenges and will probably look like a fool as I scramble to defend my team, my choice, etc etc. Whats the best way to deal with this? Do buttloads of research? Concede that I'm a n00b?

Has anyone taken "the plunge"? What team did you choose, why did you choose them, etc. Obviously there is no NFL in Calgary.. so picking a team is tough.

I've thought about just drawing one of the bottom 5 teams out of a hat... that way I can cheer for them until they get better... but as a new fan that would be really hard to stay excited about. I dont want to pick an immediate Bowl Favorite, because I dont want to be "that bandwagon jumper".

Any ideas? Again, how did you choose, after you chose did you feel like you wanted to switch? I didnt "choose" the Flames, I fell in love with the team's game, players, etc being my home town. I've been waiting to "fall in love" with an NFL team for about 3-4 seasons and none of them have totally grabbed me... so I've decided I will choose before the 2010-11 Season kicks off.

Discuss!

You Need a Thneed
07-29-2010, 11:05 AM
L.A. Rams.

Frank MetaMusil
07-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Go with the Bengals this year.....Ochocinco, Terell, and Pacman.

Papi34
07-29-2010, 11:08 AM
I was born in Boston and my dad was a huge Patriots fan thus the team of choice for myself.. NFL was big in my house so from day one I was a pats fan.. If I was a new fan of the NFL I would choose a team middle of the road like the dolphins or broncos or ravens that way you dont get accused of being a band wagon jumper but still have a half decent team to watch every sunday and be excited about.

If i gave you advice obviously id say follow the patriots haha but seriously if your a guy who loves offense they are an exciting team with Brady Welker and Moss but if you love defense take the Vikings cus you get a good offensive team as well... Or go the easy route take the Seahawks cus they are closest in proximity suck right now but have had awesome drafts and redirection and should improve soon

habernac
07-29-2010, 11:09 AM
I started watching the NFL in the early 80's. My sister picked the 49ers, which seemed like a good pick at the time. And for some reason, I picked the Patriots. I have no idea why. They were terrible. I think it was Steve Grogan.

And then suddenly, they drafted Beldsoe and got half decent. Then they got Brady...

Don't worry about defending your team. I've been getting crap for the last decade as most people think I just jumped on the bandwagon. It happens, don't worry about it.

Luder
07-29-2010, 11:09 AM
3 years ago, some online buddies needed an extra guy for their NFL Pool, I told them I didn't know a thing about the NFL but Ill help fill up the fantasy league. I ended up getting Vince Young as my QB, and for whatever reason, just followed the Titans since. To my fiance's shagrin, I've ordered Titans gear from shopNFL.com and plan on getting Sunday Ticket this season. Each year, I just seem to get into it, that much more.

alltherage
07-29-2010, 11:12 AM
L.A. Rams.

I prefer the LA Raiders :bag:

flames_1987
07-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Love how this has taken on a favourite team origin thread. I remember when I got hooked, AFC Championship Colts Vs Steelers when Harbaugh almost made that hail mary at the end of the game. Ever since then started cheering for them got lucky when the drafted Peyton and now have watched the team blow up and become hugely popular.

Tough to pick a favourite team like the Pats and Colts that get a ton of "bandwagon" titles thrown at them. I'd pick someone right in between right now, San Fran perhaps?

Jesse834
07-29-2010, 11:15 AM
My pick would be the Houston Texans they were the youngest team in the NFL last year, I believe their on the verge of becoming an elite team in the NFL.

Clever_Iggy
07-29-2010, 11:15 AM
I prefer the LA Raiders :bag:

Join the dark side of the league and cheer for the Raiders. Every other fan hates them and expectations could never be lower. Plus, you can't be accused of being a bandwagon jumper because (a) they're currently terrible and (b) no one jumps on the Raiders bandwagon.

JiriHrdina
07-29-2010, 11:20 AM
NFL is the one sport that I don't have a team that I cheer for with a lot of passion. There are some teams I don't much care for (Redskins, Cowboys, Raiders) and some teams I like quite a bit....but not one team that I root hard for.

And I kinda like it that way.

I enjoy spending a Sunday watching a pile of games without the emotional ups and downs that you usually go through in sports. I can just sit back and enjoy the games.

burn_baby_burn
07-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Being a fan for me is something that just happens. When I started getting into the NFL in jr. high I didn't really have a team. I just liked the sport. For a while I kind of liked the Saints. Then I kind of liked the Patriots ( they were like 2-14 and I like cheering for the underdog). It wasn't till I attended my first NFL game in Kansas City on December 27th 1992 that I became a die hard Chiefs fan. It was the atmosphere of Arrowhead Stadium that attracted me to the Chiefs.

Edit: I have never wanted to switch. The Chiefs have been the laughing stock of the NFL for three straight seasons. It is the darkest time in their history and I couldn't be more excited. My wife thinks I'm crazy to waste three hours every Sunday watching them get the crap kicked out of them. But I wouldn't trade being a Chiefs fan for anything in the world.

alltherage
07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
See I have thought about picking a team in the middle too. There is some criteria however that I have come up with... and bear with me some of it might not really make sense:

I want to pick an NFC team. This is because I want a team that has a high likelyhood of playing my friend's teams, and because FOX tends to pick up more NFC games and I prefer their coverage.

There are teams I have veto'd: Cowboys (not joining my friends team just because.), Minni (purple and yellow? No. Hate the logo. Hate the Favre thing.), Saints (just won the title, not jumping their wagon), Eagles (dont like philly fans.), Skins (not a mcnabb fan), Bucks (I will never cheer for any team from TB), Detroit (they've been the s forever, dont look to be going anywhere IMO).

Teams I have an affinity for: Da Bears (dont like Cutler too much though), Green Bay, The Broncos (AFC), The Cheifs (Sweet colors!! But AFC again.) Now like I said earlier I would prefer NFC, and honestly I am not a huge fan of Cutler. So I have been leaning towards Green Bay. I like Rodgers, I like the organisation and how it is owned by the community. I also like how they didnt put up with any sh** from Favre during his supidity. I also like that they have some championship history there, but not since 1996 so they are probably due soon.

After typeing that out, I feel like maybe I am leaning more towards Green Bay than I thought. Anyone feel like presenting cases for or against? I am really open and on the fence still.

burn_baby_burn
07-29-2010, 11:30 AM
If your going to become a true fan, who cares what network carries your teams games? Get NFL Sunday Ticket, cause you don't want to miss a down of your favorite teams games or you will die.

alltherage
07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
NFL is the one sport that I don't have a team that I cheer for with a lot of passion. There are some teams I don't much care for (Redskins, Cowboys, Raiders) and some teams I like quite a bit....but not one team that I root hard for.

And I kinda like it that way.

I enjoy spending a Sunday watching a pile of games without the emotional ups and downs that you usually go through in sports. I can just sit back and enjoy the games.

Ya I have to agree.. I am a fan of the sport regardless of a team, and I love watching every Sunday as well, even without one. But I want a team!

alltherage
07-29-2010, 11:32 AM
If your going to become a true fan, who cares what network carries your teams games? Get NFL Sunday Ticket, cause you don't want to miss a down of your favorite teams games or you will die.

Again more so that I would like to have rivalries with friend's teams. The coverage thing is nice though, having your preferred broadcaster pick up your team is nice.

Frank MetaMusil
07-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Had to put this in here:

http://www.briancombs.net/pictures/Political-Cartoons/john-madden-retires-o.jpg

valo403
07-29-2010, 11:36 AM
See I have thought about picking a team in the middle too. There is some criteria however that I have come up with... and bear with me some of it might not really make sense:

I want to pick an NFC team. This is because I want a team that has a high likelyhood of playing my friend's teams, and because FOX tends to pick up more NFC games and I prefer their coverage.

There are teams I have veto'd: Cowboys (not joining my friends team just because.), Minni (purple and yellow? No. Hate the logo. Hate the Favre thing.), Saints (just won the title, not jumping their wagon), Eagles (dont like philly fans.), Skins (not a mcnabb fan), Bucks (I will never cheer for any team from TB), Detroit (they've been the s forever, dont look to be going anywhere IMO).

Teams I have an affinity for: Da Bears (dont like Cutler too much though), Green Bay, The Broncos (AFC), The Cheifs (Sweet colors!! But AFC again.) Now like I said earlier I would prefer NFC, and honestly I am not a huge fan of Cutler. So I have been leaning towards Green Bay. I like Rodgers, I like the organisation and how it is owned by the community. I also like how they didnt put up with any sh** from Favre during his supidity. I also like that they have some championship history there, but not since 1996 so they are probably due soon.

After typeing that out, I feel like maybe I am leaning more towards Green Bay than I thought. Anyone feel like presenting cases for or against? I am really open and on the fence still.

Ask yourself how you feel about having this associated with your favorite team:

http://beargoggleson.com/files/2009/09/fat-packer-fan.jpg

alltherage
07-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Ask yourself how you feel about having this associated with your favorite team:

http://beargoggleson.com/files/2009/09/fat-packer-fan.jpg

Hahahaha wow... that's nasty. Every team has a fool like this though. Thankfully it is balanced out by smokin hot cheerleaders!
http://www.footballbabble.com/images/cheerleader.jpg

Edit: Mind you if I was picking a team based on the cheerleaders... it would NOT be the Packers hahahahhaa. I woul have to say the Cowboys or Bucks have some of the hottest cheerleaders.

nik-
07-29-2010, 11:46 AM
I am a Bills fan as a result of family and former proximity. Things we're interesting when I was 12. Not so much now.

I don't get to riled up about the games though, luckily. NFL is my chill out sport, unlike hockey which I'm far too passionate about.

Chump
07-29-2010, 11:52 AM
The seahawks could be a good bet they have been crap the last couple years but they have some good young talent and if you live in Calgary you can see every game on t.v. Plus Seattle is pretty close to catch a live game and Quest field is dope place to see one.

burn_baby_burn
07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
If you really want to cheer for a rival team of the Cowboys, but don't like the Skins or Eagles, how about the New York Giants? They seem to win the Super Bowl every decade. Are moving into a brand new stadium. Have a decent history with a classic logo. Not to mention trips to watch them play in New York will be awesome.

Displaced Flames fan
07-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Wait until a player amazes you and captures your interest.

John Elway made me a life long Broncos fan. It was wonderful knowing that they were never out of a game in that era.

Don't pick a team based on some arbitrary and unemotional reasoning.

Pagal4321
07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Years and years ago, in the days of Smallworld fantasy sports, I got a rookie name Daunte Culpepper on my team. He propelled me to a top 5 finish, and quickly became my favorite player.
From there, it moved to the Vikings as a team, and the more involved I got in fantasy football, the more of a die hard NFL fan I became.

Since then, #11 has blown out his knee, gone to the Raiders and Lions and is now in the UFL. But I've stuck with the team, and surprisingly have continued to be a die hard fan about the Vikings.

valo403
07-29-2010, 12:05 PM
If you're going for smoking hot fans go with the Dolphins, I mean it's South Florida.

I have no idea why I'm a Dolphins fan, I assume it has to do with my childhood affinity for Mark 'Super' Duper in Tecmo Bowl.

Picking a new team is weird, especially in an established league that you don't have any direct ties to. Go for a team that has a similar personality as yourself. Say for instance you're a lifelong loser, you're now a Browns fan. Poor kid who works hard but can never quite get to the top? Bills it is. Hide your insecurities behind massive displays of wealth? Cowboys for you. Unapologetically violent? Raiders, obviously.

browna
07-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Seahawks, to see every game every week (and the post game shows and interviews on the Seattle news), assuming you're in Calgary.

Plus, they're the underdogs this year, but being in a weak division, new energizing coach, the team should do ok and better then many are predicting.

That weekly consistent coverage is the only reason I am Seahawks fan over other teams, having watched them since the mid-late 80's, even though they were average at best and my interest was very casual at best back then.

alltherage
07-29-2010, 12:20 PM

John Elway made me a life long Broncos fan. It was wonderful knowing that they were never out of a game in that era.

I know! Thats how I feel in a way... but I have been watching and waiting for that moment for 3-4 years now! I'm getting very impatient, and want to have a team by this season.

Cheerio
07-29-2010, 01:03 PM
If you want an almost there NFC team cheer for the Atlanta Falcons. I've cheered for the Colts since I first watched an NFL game. It was the year after Manning got drafted, and they got slaughtered and I thought to myself "how could someone cheer for a team that sucks this bad and might not win a game all year?" Well I started watching more and more Colts game and eventually got hooked on the NFL.

carom
07-29-2010, 01:22 PM
When I started watching the NFL in high school (late 90's) I picked the Bucs because they had 2 players that I really liked: Mike Alstott and Warrick Dunn. It also helped that they were a team on the rise and played the type of football that I enjoyed (grind offense - strong defence).

Things have changed since then, and I don’t follow the team as closely as I used to, but I follow the league much more intensely now.

I think I like the personalities in the game just as much as I like the team aspect and strategy of the game. Each year I end up following some teams more then others based on the players that I am most excited to see.

I would pick a team based on the player(s) that most intrigue you. You will end up following more then just the one team because you will need to know about the teams in your division, the teams your team will be playing this year, the players your team has drafted, the players you want your team to draft, ect.

I should state that I follow college football more then I follow the NFL now. I was never like this before, but as I started to follow the draft more closely, I in turn started following college earlier and earlier in the season.

zarrell
07-29-2010, 01:23 PM
It's not like it used to be, where if you wanted to see your team play you needed the US stations to broadcast in your area of Canada. Which is why I am a Vikings fan. Grew up in Winnipeg and got the Minneapolis TV stations. If I were you I'd pick the seahawks or cardinals, because of their proximity. ABP (anyone but packers). They're like the Riders of the NFL.

Frequitude
07-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Green Bay = Edmonton Eskimos. That knocks them out.

d_phaneuf
07-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Ya i would go with the young player you like and follow that team, not a ton of player movement in the NFL compared to other leagues so there is a pretty good chance he will be on that team for awhile and you will develop an attachment to the team as well

howard_the_duck
07-29-2010, 01:59 PM

This. I became a Philadelphia Eagles fan solely because of Donovan McNabb. Class guy, great athlete, good ambassador.

He's the reason I cheer for the Eagles, even though I will be keeping a watchful eye on him in Washington.

If it's Rodgers you like, then go for Green Bay. A young guy I would have an easy time getting behind is Matt Stafford in Detroit. That team is bound to bounce back one of these years, and he's a gutsy player that can be their leader.

troutman
07-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Join us in the Dawgpound. When the Browns finally reach the Superbowl it will be so sweet.

Cleveland needs some love after LeBron.

Hanna Sniper
07-29-2010, 03:37 PM

Don't pick a team based on some arbitrary and unemotional reasoning.I agree 100%

Dan Marino is who did it for me

Just watch and let whatever team draws you in, unless it's the Jets

burn_baby_burn
07-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Dis is right, if your going to become a life long fan of a team, there needs to be some sort of emotional attachment. Something that will carry you through the rest of your life.

I became a Flames fan because they are local. I became a Chiefs fan because of my experience at Arrowhead Stadium 18 years ago. I became a Yankees fan because I became very interested about Babe Ruth when I was a kid. There are all sorts of reasons people become fans of certain teams.

With the NFL there is also a generational thing with NFL teams that had dynasties during a certain era. I know a lot of people my age (mid to late 30's) who are 49er fans because they were so dominate when we were kids and teenagers growing up in the 80's. I know a lot of people 5-10 years older than me that are Pittsburgh Steelers fans because they won 4 Super Bowls in the 70's when they were kids. Cowboys have baby boomer fans from their glory days in the late 60's early 70's. As well as a new generation of fans from their dynasty in the early 90's. You will run into older people who are Packers fans from their dominance in the 1960's. More recently, and there are a few of these people here at CP, you see a strong following of Patriots fans for their dominance over the last decade.

rubecube
07-29-2010, 03:45 PM
This. I became a Philadelphia Eagles fan solely because of Donovan McNabb. Class guy, great athlete, good ambassador.

He's the reason I cheer for the Eagles, even though I will be keeping a watchful eye on him in Washington.

Weirdly enough, I became an Eagles fan because of Ricky Watters. I thought Ricky was awesome when I was a little kid, and was sort of a Niners fan when he played there. I was more of CFL fan back then so I really only kept track on the players I liked. When Ricky went to the Eagles I sort of started cheering for them.

However, I became a diehard Eagles fan after I got to go to a game at the Vet. I was able to go down to field level and meet McNabb and Corey Simon. Also met Harold Carmichael and had some pictures taken. I was 14 at the time so that pretty much cemented it.

burn_baby_burn
07-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Join us in the Dawgpound. When the Browns finally reach the Superbowl it will be so sweet.

Cleveland needs some love after LeBron.

I'm rooting for you troutman, unless they meet the Chiefs in the playoffs.

Antithesis
07-29-2010, 09:19 PM
I would say that you want to cheer for a team in either the NFC West or AFC West. You would get to see many games that way. I enjoy watching the Seahawks, and as others say, you get many of their games on TV here.

transplant99
07-30-2010, 03:36 AM
http://www.packerpalace.com/blogold/vikes-priceless2.jpg

Temporary_User
07-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Seattle. Great upcoming team. Got robbed in the super bowl a few years ago (could make parallels to Flames). Great city that you will want to and will visit often. Close enough that you could make it down to the city in about 12 hours, meaning you could easily and cheaply make a road trip down for the game Sunday and be back for work on Monday (assuming you somehow managed to stay sober for the game and left prett quickly after).

I think the Seahawks are the best and I love Seattle. I think having a city that you can and will visit often (maybe even in off season) will make a difference in becoming a lifetime fan, because the connection will be deeper than picking a player now (who may leave soon).

Picking GB, are you really going to want to go there often? I mean being at a game would be awesome, but really being at a game cheering for your team in any city is awesome

Qwest (Seattle stadium) is also in a great location. So going to bars among otherthings is great while your down there.
Can't say same thing about other cities (Phoenix for example) every city is different and has plus/minus though

Trojan97
07-30-2010, 04:50 AM
I've been a fan of the Texans since 2003. I got to a point where I decided I needed a team, I liked the idea of getting on board with a team that had a clean slate and I could grow as a fan with. I immediately loved Andre Johnson right from the start. Jamie Sharper, Jay Foreman, Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman on D had me convinced that it wouldn't be long until the Texans were challenging for playoff spots. I was sorely mistaken, but my love for them hasn't wavered over the years and has grown bigger and bigger each season. I'm now to the point as a fan where I'm at Schanks every Sunday watching them play, checking their website every day or two in the offseason for updates. I dare say they have surpassed the Flames for top spot as "my team".

Anyways, I completely agree with everyone who says you just need to wait until a team reaches out and grabs you. A friend of mine who is a casual fan tried to randomly pick the Cardinals as his team and he just never got into following them. Another friend came to Schanks with us for the better part of a season and by the end of it had fallen for the Chargers and is now a truly dedicated fan. I would recommend playing fantasy football if you don't already, the amount of NFL you will watch will rise exponentially just from following your players, it's a good way to open yourself up to teams you may have never thought about cheering for.

There's a number of factors I would take into consideration for picking a team if I was starting over as a fan, one team that has caught my eye this offseason is the KC Chiefs. They are a rebuilding team that you can grow with as a fan, they have a tremendous fan base composed of diehards which would make for a tremendous experience should you ever chose to go watch them play live, the architect of their team has some awesome credentials and just had a really solid draft (Eric Berry at safety is going to be special), they aren't a team composed of thugs/headcases. They're one team I would have my eye on if I was seriously considering following someone new.

wpgflamesfan
07-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Seattle. Great upcoming team. Got robbed in the super bowl a few years ago (could make parallels to Flames). Great city that you will want to and will visit often. Close enough that you could make it down to the city in about 12 hours, meaning you could easily and cheaply make a road trip down for the game Sunday and be back for work on Monday (assuming you somehow managed to stay sober for the game and left prett quickly after).

I think the Seahawks are the best and I love Seattle. I think having a city that you can and will visit often (maybe even in off season) will make a difference in becoming a lifetime fan, because the connection will be deeper than picking a player now (who may leave soon).

Picking GB, are you really going to want to go there often? I mean being at a game would be awesome, but really being at a game cheering for your team in any city is awesome

Qwest (Seattle stadium) is also in a great location. So going to bars among otherthings is great while your down there.
Can't say same thing about other cities (Phoenix for example) every city is different and has plus/minus though

But Pete Carroll is the coach now. Being an Oregon Ducks fan I don't think I could ever get behind a team that guy coaches.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I love the NFL (and playing fantasy football) but just can't seem to get behind a team.

SportsJunky
07-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Vikes fan since '91 or '92 I guess. My very first real job had an outside sales guy that I admired and wanted to emulate. Up to that point I didn't really have an NFL team that I rooted for. Anyway, this guy was a massive Minnesota fan and during football season he talked about them constantly. One Monday morning he came into work ranting about Rich 'The Cannon' Gannon and how he was going to break all the records. I decided I would check this team out the next week and the rest is history.

transplant99
07-30-2010, 07:50 AM
But Pete Carroll is the coach now. Being an Oregon Ducks fan I don't think I could ever get behind a team that guy coaches.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I love the NFL (and playing fantasy football) but just can't seem to get behind a team.

You and the OP just need to go with GB and never look back. ;)

They lack very little and offer things no other team can. Tradition, histroy of successes, and the coolest thing IMO is they are owned by the fans. On top of that last year they were the youngest team in the league by average age. It looks like it could be a real good run for the next 5 or 6 years at least...and hopefully they can win the big one but being in the NFC nothing will be assured for any team. The power is shifting from AFC back to the old league.

And what else could be better than wearing a big hunk of fake cheese on your head?

mykalberta
07-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Denver, all other team pale in comparison.

howard_the_duck
07-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Weirdly enough, I became an Eagles fan because of Ricky Watters. I thought Ricky was awesome when I was a little kid, and was sort of a Niners fan when he played there. I was more of CFL fan back then so I really only kept track on the players I liked. When Ricky went to the Eagles I sort of started cheering for them.

However, I became a diehard Eagles fan after I got to go to a game at the Vet. I was able to go down to field level and meet McNabb and Corey Simon. Also met Harold Carmichael and had some pictures taken. I was 14 at the time so that pretty much cemented it.

That's awesome. If that doesn't cement it I don't know what does.

I'm excited to see what Kolb can do, but it's gonna be awfully tough not seeing number 5 behind centre come September.

Erick Estrada
07-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Been a Raiders fan since 1981. Despite the lunacy of Al Davis IMO one of the best franchises in professional sports period. The Silver & Black transcends the football team. There's simply nothing like cheering for the Silver & Black. Even being a Flames fan just can't compare.

As well it appears that the team is actually close to turning the corner as they had a great draft in April and the team showed last year they could be more than competitive with mediocre QB like Gradkowski. Campbell should be a huge upgrade.

rubecube
07-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Been a Raiders fan since 1981. Despite the lunacy of Al Davis IMO one of the best franchises in professional sports period. The Silver & Black transcends the football team. There's simply nothing like cheering for the Silver & Black. Even being a Flames fan just can't compare.

As well it appears that the team is actually close to turning the corner as they had a great draft in April and the team showed last year they could be more than competitive with mediocre QB like Gradkowski. Campbell should be a huge upgrade.

Campbell is an upgrade? Lateral move at best. The guy has absolutely no pocket presence.

Erick Estrada
07-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Campbell is an upgrade? Lateral move at best. The guy has absolutely no pocket presence.

Lateral move compared to Gradkowski? No way. Not even close. ESPN did a comparison and by last years numbers McNabb and Campbell were in a dead heat. I agree that he needs some polish but he's never had any stability surrounding him with all the OC changes in Washington and was a square peg in a round hole playing in the West Coast offense. He's a classic drop back passer which is exactly what Oakland asks of their QB. He won't be a pro-bowler but he won't lose games for the Raiders like Russell did.

Sainters7
08-03-2010, 03:40 PM
The seahawks could be a good bet they have been crap the last couple years but they have some good young talent and if you live in Calgary you can see every game on t.v. Plus Seattle is pretty close to catch a live game and Quest field is dope place to see one.

I'd say this. I'll always get Sunday Ticket so I can watch my Saints, but that shyte gets more and more expensive every year it seems. Seahawks are always on TV, and you don't have to pay a dime. Plus its a cheap road trip to see a game(in a sweet stadium too, which is also one of the loudest in the league. Great atmosphere, even for pre-season).

Honestly, if Seattle had a good team when I was growing up, I'd probably be a Seahawks fan right now.

DropIt
08-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Bears fan for about 5 years now. Brian Urlacher got me into it deep. Badass, neo-nazi looking mother f-er got my attention instantly and I was consantly in awe of how well he could play the position and dominated. Io still remember him playing the Falcons one game where he was spying Vick all game and ran him down on every scramble attempt. First time that I caught myself cheering out loud at the TV to an NFL game.
They are becoming very relateable lately to me because they are the NFL's equivilent of the Flames. They have been making the huge offseason moves with Peppers and Cutler, deepening themselves all around, but yet continue to dissapoint.
Cannot wait for this season to start!!!!

malcolmk14
08-04-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm a huge fan of NFL football, not a big fan of any particular team.

Why choose a team? Just watch the games and let the love for a team develop over time if it's meant to be.

Individuals in pro sports interest me more than teams do anyway, I'd rather root for players I like than a team.

Jiggy_12
08-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Like some others mentioned, the NFL is the one pro sport where I do not have any strong allegiances. Baseball, diehard Jays fan. NHL, Flames obviously. I like the NFL just as much as I do the MLB or NHL...but no teams in particular that I really get up to root for.

Teams I like, based entirely on entertainment purposes are the Bengals (especially this season with TO!), the Ravens (Anquan Boldin is my favorite WR), the Cowboys are always fun to watch, same with the Packers.

themedicineman
08-04-2010, 01:16 AM
I've been a Saints fan since about 2000 (this was really the first time I could comprehend what was going on in the sport). I really don't know how I became a Saints fan but it probably had something to do with those amazing black and gold jersey's and they also beat my dads team the Cowgirls in the first game I watched with him on t.v. The team is fantastic to cheer for they play a really up-tempo and creative offense and the defense since Williams got there has been hard hitting and explosive. The fan base is great lots of informed fans massive message boards with good regular posters and the relationship between the team and their fans is quite honestly the best in pro sports.

SebC
08-04-2010, 03:04 AM
I'd say look for a team with a former Stamp you like.

Vulcan
08-04-2010, 05:53 AM
I don't have a big favorite team but I have family connections in Seattle so I mostly cheer for them. I often cheer for teams with a CFL connection. I used to cheer for Minnesota as they had an old QB from Calgary, Joe Kapp who also played for the BC Lions. Their coach, Bud Grant used to play and coach the Blue Bombers also. I also followed Buffalo when they had Flutie and any team Garcia played for.

Scoopdogg
08-04-2010, 08:11 AM
As you can tell by my avatar I'm obviously a fan of the Steelers. I fell in love with them in 2005 because I liked their smash mouth football style. The Bus, Hines Ward (best character guy in the league) and Palomalu (Best safety in the league when he's healthy).

Bill Cowher was one of the most intense individuals in the league and now they have Tomlin who is a polar opposite of him, but still gets the job done.

If the QB could only keep his **** in his pants they'll be alright this year. Hopefully Big Ben's suspension won't hurt the team too much.

With one of the best D's in the league they are a team to be reckoned with. Man I can't wait for NFL to start already.

alltherage
08-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Some excellent points in this thread. I have kinda made a 180 from when I started the thread already. I started looking with a more open mind.. trying not to concern myself with the influence of others.

I think the teams I had "finalized" there were teams suggested extrenally. Da Bears for example, because I won a Bears jacket in a contest at Jack Astors last year... not a good reason. Plus Cutler is too whiney and I hate his face!!!

Green Bay just doesnt do it for me after some soul searching. They remind me too much of EE and although Rodgers has great potential, its just not a click.

Broncos.. meh. I dont feel any sort of pull to them other than I like the logo and they are in the mountains. Pretty weak. The Cheifs? They have the same colors as the Flames.

After some searching... I have decided. Its a team in transition, coming into a new era. A team of underdogs who performed last year when nobody thought they would. A team with a promising new quarterback and a classy organization. A coach who will mix it up with opposing players to protect his players. Sick colors and identity. Smokin hot cheerleaders. In the NFC. Tied to the Flames in their own way.

Nobody's going to influence me away, and that's FINAL!

GO FALCONS GO!!!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VfGU3Ao9Z_4/ShGkUEmhZVI/AAAAAAAAGFc/fVzO8QA8ONg/s400/AtlantaFalconsLogo.png

Sainters7
08-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Blech.

Traditional_Ale
08-06-2010, 05:22 PM
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/7/178/full/1029.gif
.... :bag:

Montana Moe
08-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Boo.

At least you'll have plenty of open seats of you ever decide to go down to a game.

alltherage
08-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Blech.
I thought you might want to be my friend now! ;)

questionmotives
08-07-2010, 04:05 PM
I actually like your pick alltherage. Matty Ryan is an exciting young quarterback and Michael Turner is a beauty.

That said, I'm sticking with this guy...

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/135510/955e6800-81d0-4a58-8cff-49f978df7eba.jpg

Cheerio
08-07-2010, 05:37 PM
If you want an almost there NFC team cheer for the Atlanta Falcons. I've cheered for the Colts since I first watched an NFL game. It was the year after Manning got drafted, and they got slaughtered and I thought to myself "how could someone cheer for a team that sucks this bad and might not win a game all year?" Well I started watching more and more Colts game and eventually got hooked on the NFL.

:whistle: Your welcome. ;)

Sylvanfan
08-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I like Tony Gonzalez, but thats about the only thing that would attract me to the Falcons.

You should have picked the Chiefs, the color combination is a beauty. I was drawn to the Chiefs by two players, Christian Okoye and Derrick Thomas. In high school we pretty much played Marty ball, so I loved the old Chiefs pound the ball and play tough defence.

d_phaneuf
08-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I think its a solid call, young QB in Ryan who should be with the team for awhile

good nucleus as well

dissentowner
08-07-2010, 07:47 PM
I was a Niners fan up until 2002 when I went to New Orleans and fell in love with the city, after that I was a hardcore Saints fan. The only time in my life I ever switched allegiances.

alltherage
08-10-2010, 04:47 PM
I like Tony Gonzalez, but thats about the only thing that would attract me to the Falcons.

You should have picked the Chiefs, the color combination is a beauty. I was drawn to the Chiefs by two players, Christian Okoye and Derrick Thomas. In high school we pretty much played Marty ball, so I loved the old Chiefs pound the ball and play tough defence.

I like Matt Ryan, and Gonzalez... I'm also excited to watch some of the young guys like Weatherspoon etc.

I also like that the team is in transition... that pumps me up. The only thing that sucks is that their games will be tough to catch on TV. I could always snag Sunday Ticket though.