PDA

View Full Version : Mad Men Season Four

VANFLAMESFAN
07-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I know there are some huge Mad Men fans here, but last season's thread was pretty awful. I thought I would start a thread for this season in hopes of some decent Mad Men discussion.

Last night's premiere was very solid as always. The show never misses a beat. Love the scenes, albeit very few(only 2) with Betty and Don. I love the newly separated dynamic, makes for some great awkwardness and great drama as well.

Don going nuts on the two piece swimsuit people was awesome as well. We could see another side of Don Draper this season, looking forward to it. Roger Sterling was also very solid last night as well.

I wanna be Don Draper.

http://blogs.amctv.com/mad-men/mad-men-marketin-560.jpg

VladtheImpaler
07-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Good episode - I enjoyed it. Probably helped that we downloaded and watched the first 3 seasons just a little while ago. I was really hoping Betty would disappear from the show...

VANFLAMESFAN
07-26-2010, 01:09 PM
I find it really odd that I find her hotter when she's wearing old school dresses from the 60's. I like the Betty character, she doesn't get the credit that she deserves. It would take quite the woman to stand up to a guy like Don Draper. She pulled it off.

http://www.magxone.com/uploads/2009/04/january-jones-gq-magazine-5.jpg

Bunk
07-26-2010, 01:58 PM
I like when he yells at the prudish swim suit people to get out of their office.

The new office will take a bit of getting used to.

Surprised Don is fulfulling his 'needs' with a prostitute. Him liking to be slapped was a bit of a surprise insight into who he is as well.

Flash Walken
07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Put me down in the column of 'Not wanting to be Don Draper.'

I love the show, but for all his admirable stoicism, he is really just a coward.

Ark2
07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Put me down in the column of 'Not wanting to be Don Draper.'

I love the show, but for all his admirable stoicism, he is really just a coward.

What makes him a coward?

Flash Walken
07-26-2010, 04:43 PM
What makes him a coward?
Everything we've been told about him, from his origin, to his time in Korea to how he became "Donald Draper".

The guy is ashamed of who he really is, took the easy way out of Korea (which I probably would have), after they insinuated that the reason he was even in Korea was because he was trying to escape something.

When Pete finds out who he is, it's not only his first instinct to run, it is his initial plan of action. Only when forced to face the music does he do it, but he is largely without option after previously attempting to run away from anything and everything.

He lies, cheats, and washes it all down as a functioning alcoholic who deflects criticism onto others and generally acts like an to most people in his life. His one saving grace is ultimately the root of his cowardice; his shame.

The shame he feels in regards to his childhood gives you the moments where he is a tender and nurturing father, but I don't think many people would mistake him for a 'great' father. His shame also seems to be the source of his stoic approach to a classic sense of decorum, formality and custom, his humbling charm and his creative yearning for aesthetic idyllic ism.

The only campaigns they seem to focus on in the show are ones where Don constructs some picturesque, deeply personal narrative, but it is really all a sham for advertising. His personal life reflects his professional life in this way.

d_phaneuf
07-26-2010, 05:29 PM
maybe it was just because I re watched last years season finale right before it (and that was a 10/10 episode) but I was kind of dissapointed in the premiere

Table 5
07-26-2010, 05:35 PM
I missed last season (just got bored with the show after the aesthetic appeal wore off), but it was a pretty good opener. I must've missed a lot, but I'm surprised how edgy and modern the bikini ad was in comparison to the fuddy duddy stuff (at least in terms of visuals) they were doing in the first season.

Bigtime
07-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Recorded it and watched last night. I really enjoyed it, felt like they took you right out of the comfort zone of the last 3 seasons with all the new sets and locations. I almost felt a little lost but as the episode progressed I got right back into my Mad Men groove. Loved the ending and all of Roger's lines as usual.

Edit: This belongs in this thread:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5zlboUd8H1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg

Flames0910
07-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Everything we've been told about him, from his origin, to his time in Korea to how he became "Donald Draper".

The guy is ashamed of who he really is, took the easy way out of Korea (which I probably would have), after they insinuated that the reason he was even in Korea was because he was trying to escape something.

When Pete finds out who he is, it's not only his first instinct to run, it is his initial plan of action. Only when forced to face the music does he do it, but he is largely without option after previously attempting to run away from anything and everything.

He lies, cheats, and washes it all down as a functioning alcoholic who deflects criticism onto others and generally acts like an to most people in his life. His one saving grace is ultimately the root of his cowardice; his shame.

The shame he feels in regards to his childhood gives you the moments where he is a tender and nurturing father, but I don't think many people would mistake him for a 'great' father. His shame also seems to be the source of his stoic approach to a classic sense of decorum, formality and custom, his humbling charm and his creative yearning for aesthetic idyllic ism.

The only campaigns they seem to focus on in the show are ones where Don constructs some picturesque, deeply personal narrative, but it is really all a sham for advertising. His personal life reflects his professional life in this way.

He's a deeply flawed and tragic character. The beauty of the show is that the viewer can relate to some of his faults (ie. wanting to run) and how he always seems to be so close to becoming a real person. Even though we know it's never going to happen, we're always cheering him on because it seems like deep down their's a heart in that shell.

getbak
07-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Favourite line of the episode, possibly the best line on tv this year: "I could charge them to my expense account if I said they were whores."

Flash Walken
08-03-2010, 10:44 AM
i feel like I killed this thread with my Don Draper post.

If I did, my apologies.

ANother great episode on Sunday. Don, such a jerk.

Bigtime
08-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Haven't watched last nights episode yet. Can't wait.

VANFLAMESFAN
08-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Another solid episode. Wanted to punch the Lucky Strike guy for what he was doing to Sterling.

I love the character of Peggy. So mysterious, you never truly know what's going thru her head.

d_phaneuf
08-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I think Lee Garner Jr. has a bit of a crush on Roger

he got Sal fired for turning down his advances last season, only Don knows that though

no_joke
08-03-2010, 09:30 PM
i feel like I killed this thread with my Don Draper post.

If I did, my apologies.

ANother great episode on Sunday. Don, such a jerk.

Awesome analysis of the Donald Draper/Dick character. The more I think about it, the show might as well be called "Don, such a jerk" or "Don the coward." Such a great show, such a great ensemble of characters- each one is so flawed, deep, and intriguing. /gush

Flash Walken
08-03-2010, 10:42 PM
What about 'Don Don-Don-Don Donnnnnn...' (wife's suggestion).

Cowperson
08-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Great episode last night . . . . . a portrait of a very successful executive perhaps discovering that all the success and booze in the world can't cover up the core in all of us, that family, friends and a sense of place in the world is more important.

Yet, at the end, he sees these two old people in the corridor . . . . "Did you get the peaches? Did you get the peaches?" Is he wondering if that's his future or is it instead the cold, empty apartment he's entering? Are those his choices?

Great arm by his secretary. That was a bullet.

Cowperson

VladtheImpaler
08-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Great episode last night . . . . . a portrait of a very successful executive perhaps discovering that all the success and booze in the world can't cover up the core in all of us, that family, friends and a sense of place in the world is more important.

Yet, at the end, he sees these two old people in the corridor . . . . "Did you get the pears? Did you get the pears?" Is he wondering if that's his future or is it instead the cold, empty apartment he's entering? Are those his choices?

Great arm by his secretary. That was a bullet.

Cowperson

fyp. I thought it was a superb episode too, on all fronts...

getbak
08-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Peggy peering over the wall into Don's office was one of the funniest, most unexpected things I've seen on tv this year.

Two weeks without any Betty, but it looks like that'll be changing next week.

Flash Walken
08-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Looks like perhaps they are shaping up to dump Lucky Strike in the future, could be explosive.

Ark2
08-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Peggy peering over the wall into Don's office was one of the funniest, most unexpected things I've seen on tv this year.

Two weeks without any Betty, but it looks like that'll be changing next week.

That's been the best part of this season so far!

VladtheImpaler
08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Thoughts on last night's episode? Just reinforces my fervent hope that Betty is murdered soon... Anyone else think they are setting up a molestation story with the girl? The only logical pedo being the new husband...

Flash Walken
08-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Thoughts on last night's episode? Just reinforces my fervent hope that Betty is murdered soon... Anyone else think they are setting up a molestation story with the girl? The only logical pedo being the new husband...

Don't really know at all where this storyline is going. Makes me think Betty is soon to be back in therapy.

I'm eagerly anticipating the Don/Roger/Lucky Strike confrontation.

VladtheImpaler
08-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Don't really know at all where this storyline is going. Makes me think Betty is soon to be back in therapy.

I'm eagerly anticipating the Don/Roger/Lucky Strike confrontation.

Yeah, it's either that or Lee demands Roger "service" him to keep the account. :)

VANFLAMESFAN
08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Betty has definitely become a truly unlikeable character over the course of the four seasons. But you need characters like that to make the show effective. I look forward to the Betty scenes, because I wanna see what I'm going to hate her for next.

Loved Sterling in last night's ep. Didn't see that coming, but it make for some great drama.

Don's old assistant is hilarious.

Another great episode, the show never lets down. So good.

VladtheImpaler
08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Betty has definitely become a truly unlikeable character over the course of the four seasons. But you need characters like that to make the show effective. I look forward to the Betty scenes, because I wanna see what I'm going to hate her for next.

Loved Sterling in last night's ep. Didn't see that coming, but it make for some great drama.

Don's old assistant is hilarious.

Another great episode, the show never lets down. So good.

I disagree re Betty. Don and Pete are also unlikeable characters but they are interesting. Betty is just so... boring. Maybe she is what she's supposed to be - a shallow, trophy wife - but as a TV character, she doesn't hold my interest...

Bunk
08-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I felt Betty was one of the most interesting characters of Season 2.

I'm loving this 4th season. Just superb television. This series will be considered one of the all-time greats.

nfotiu
08-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Is this on in Canada? I am visiting my parents with expressvu andcoilldnt find it.

calgaryrocks
08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
yep, on AMC

Cowperson
08-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I felt Betty was one of the most interesting characters of Season 2.

I agree. She's one of the more intriguing characters.

The premise of the young girl touching herself was well done and very well acted with Betty's own background figuring in her reaction . . . . . all wrapped around the tightly wound-up era (right around the time of the invention of the birth control pill I think and a new level of women's sexual freedom).

The scene in the pyschiatrists office with Betty and the doctor's dawning realization that Betty should be the patient, not the young girl was memorable.

And going ballistic on the "monkey's" wasn't abnormal for WWII veterans of the time. Interesting that they didn't just mock his reaction but explained the wartime background behind it to the point where his view might have also been a sympathetic one.

Cowperson

Flames0910
08-25-2010, 03:29 AM
Not gunna quote all the posts....but I agree, peggy was hilarious looking through the window in the previous episode. It was unexpected for the show, but it really did fit her character.

Loved wily Don on the Honda account.

Old lady is funny, but how long can they keep that shtick going?

Psychiatrist tricking Betty into coming in once a month was pretty awesome IMO :)

Ark2
08-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Another great episode as Don continues to unravel. I like how the series doesn't follow any specific plot lines, it just let's the characters pull you in. Good stuff.

Flames0910
09-05-2010, 06:11 PM
I rewatched the last three seasons recently - Cooper plugged Atlas Shrugged not once, but twice - figured that seemed like a pretty obvious hint from the writer's so I picked it up. I'm about halfway through (it's 1000 pages) and it's really really good.

I highly recommend it - extremely illuminating regarding the philosophy of the show and the characters, especially Don.

Ark2
09-05-2010, 07:44 PM
I rewatched the season - Cooper plugged Atlas Shrugged not once, but twice. Figured that seemed like a pretty obvious hint from the writer's so I picked it up. I'm about halfway through (it's 1000 pages) and it's really good.

I highly recommend it - extremely illuminating regarding the philosophy of the show and the characters, especially Don.

I second this. It really is a great book and is still very relavent today.

Flames Fan, Ph.D.
09-05-2010, 10:28 PM
I rewatched the last three seasons recently - Cooper plugged Atlas Shrugged not once, but twice - figured that seemed like a pretty obvious hint from the writer's so I picked it up. I'm about halfway through (it's 1000 pages) and it's really really good.

Cooper's reference to Atlas Shrugged fits in nicely with his character's self-indulgent narcissism and strained displays of cultural refinement.

getbak
09-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Great episode tonight. Mostly the Don & Peggy show, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Flames Fan, Ph.D.
09-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Great episode tonight. Mostly the Don & Peggy show, but there's nothing wrong with that.

I thought they captured the "negroes" fighting for the amusement of whites angle pretty well. They even turned the historic outcome into a disappointment to the whites by having people lament that they waited so long to see just a 90 second fight.

Flames0910
09-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Cooper's reference to Atlas Shrugged fits in nicely with his character's self-indulgent narcissism and strained displays of cultural refinement.

Well apparently he has no balls...

VANFLAMESFAN
09-05-2010, 11:30 PM
I feel bad for other shows after I watch Mad Men. It's just do damn good.

Loved tonight's episode. I love the character of Peggy, always been my favorite. One of the most intriguing characters on TV IMO.

Flash Walken
09-06-2010, 08:55 AM
I feel bad for other shows after I watch Mad Men. It's just do damn good.

Loved tonight's episode. I love the character of Peggy, always been my favorite. One of the most intriguing characters on TV IMO.Unlike most people, I believe Peggy is actually the star/lead of the show, not Don.

The show is about Peggy.

Ark2
09-06-2010, 09:29 AM
It's funny that they haven't really explored the whole angle of Peggy having a baby more than they have. Everyone in the show that knows about it just seems to pretend that it isn't there.

Cowperson
09-06-2010, 10:26 AM

I thought the episode was about Don Draper losing the most important person in the world to him, his only connection to the rest of humanity, and his reaching out to try to establish that same connection with Peggy, effectively seeking out a replacement, a lifeline, lest he fall forever into that dark hole he's heading for.

The symbolic taking of her hand at the end, squeezing it but herself not returning the favour, was interesting.

Unlike the other who loved him for who he was, Peggy only pities him.

My thoughts from Seattle!!

Cowperson

Saint Troy
09-06-2010, 03:04 PM
The writing, directing and acting are in a class by itself this season, and it doesn't seem like this series is in any danger of becoming stale anytime soon. Love this show.

Flames0910
09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Everyone in the show that knows about it just seems to pretend that it isn't there.

Don't you remember Draper's words when he picked her up?

"Do what you have to so you can get out of here. You'll be surprised at how quickly this all goes away."

And Draper's famous line "Don't think about it" which Peggy repeated to him in last night's episode "I try not to think about it."

getbak
09-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Another great episode tonight. I haven't laughed so much at a tv show in a long time, which is the mark of a great drama (if that makes sense).

RIP Mrs. Blankenship, you old wildcat.

Peggy again loses a little more of the naive good little Catholic girl and starts thinking about women's lib.

Didn't expect Roger and Joan's evening to end up going the way it did.

"Mrs. Butterworth's."

nik-
09-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I laughed out loud when Don said "I'd have my secretary do it, but she's dead!"

Dr. Faye Miller is a fox.

VANFLAMESFAN
10-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Great episode again tonight. Losing Lucky Strike may mean the end of SCDP and the panic set it for the employees. I really like how Mad Men really has zero rules in which the types of episodes are laid out. One week will be about Don and his inner struggle, the next will be about Don and his problems with his family, the next week will be about his work. The next can be something TOTALLY different. You truly can't predict where an episode is heading and that's another reason the show works so well.

Any chance the Mad Men writers shock the world and have Sterling commit suicide by season's end?? There have been some truly shocking moments in the show's history, I would be shocked and I wouldn't be if that makes any sense. It would have EVERYONE talking if it did happen. He's an incredibly popular character and it seems we are heading down that road. With two episodes left in the season, who knows what the conclusion will hold.

Anyone else catch Rubicon tonight?? Strongest episode of the series so far. So many tense moments and for the first time, I thought to myself that the episode went by too fast. it's generally a slow moving show, but not tonight.

Cowperson
10-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Great episode again tonight. Losing Lucky Strike may mean the end of SCDP and the panic set it for the employees. I really like how Mad Men really has zero rules in which the types of episodes are laid out. One week will be about Don and his inner struggle, the next will be about Don and his problems with his family, the next week will be about his work. The next can be something TOTALLY different. You truly can't predict where an episode is heading and that's another reason the show works so well.

Any chance the Mad Men writers shock the world and have Sterling commit suicide by season's end?? There have been some truly shocking moments in the show's history, I would be shocked and I wouldn't be if that makes any sense. It would have EVERYONE talking if it did happen. He's an incredibly popular character and it seems we are heading down that road. With two episodes left in the season, who knows what the conclusion will hold.

I thought Sterling was going to blow right by his wife, lock himself in his bedroom and blow his brains out. (Nothing will ever top Dualla's suicide on Battlestar though!!!)

And how long before Joan reveals the secret she's carrying about Sterling having prior knowledge of Lucky Strike leaving?

The season ending moment will probably have the company on the brink of destruction and then a foul decision has to be made about merging with someone unsavory . . . . but it's probably necessary as a plot device to keep the cast in the same office.

And Joan gets the news her hubby has been killed in Vietnam. He's like the guy wearing the red shirt on Star Trek.

Loved Don's expression when the blonde is waiting for him with great news she's sacrificed her integrity and brought him a new account, all in the name of love . . . . about an hour after he finished boinking his brunette, "no-strings-attached" secretary.

EDIT: Great summary/commentary, as always, at http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2010/10/04/mad-men-watch-its-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it/

Cowperson

VladtheImpaler
10-04-2010, 07:56 AM
You gents summed up my thoughts perfectly... I would just add that the lipstick on the teeth was superb...
Also, did Joan in fact have the abortion? Mmmm, hmmmm...

nik-
10-04-2010, 09:18 AM
It seemed like the episode was pushing Roger to suicide as well, I can see him doing it from a show writer standpoint, but I just can't buy the character of Roger killing himself. He views himself as a little more important than that, even with all the barbs he got this week.

I'll be disappointed if they go that route, but it won't shock me. It's going to be an interesting two weeks for the next episodes.

Also, does Lee Garner Jr. and Lucky being gone open the door for the return of Sal? Assuming that the agency doesn't implode that is :lol:

Interesting side note. Megan is played by Jessica Pare, who actually is from Montreal. Thought it was a little funny that they made her character come from there too.

REDVAN
10-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I think Joan kept the baby, and we'll see her start to show in the next episode or the season finale. Sterling will try to commit suicide and fail, and then Joan will reveal she kept the baby.

Perhaps another baby will be in the future with Don and Dr. Faye...? I'd be an interesting twist, and something that would make the family dynamic Don has get even crazier- I think it's only a matter of time before Don's daughter starts to live with him. I also think the thing with Don's girl could go either way very soon- since he cheated on her last episode. I'm hoping that it is longer term, but you never know.

Oh, that and Betty and the new husband Henry are going to divorce.

This may just be me, but I really enjoyed the Peggy character over the first couple seasons, so much so that occasionally I wondered if she show intended to focus on her and not on Don. But lately I've just found her to be less and less interesting, and more of an annoying character than a useful one. Maybe I need to re-watch some of the series, because I find it disappointing, the direction they've taken Peggy in. Although at the same point in time, Pete Campbell, who was a disliked character, has slowly become one of my favourites!

d_phaneuf
10-04-2010, 02:11 PM
ya I thought it was going for the Roger suicide as well, especially after Joan rejected him

Last two episodes should be good, I don't think that the writers blow up the agency again since it just happened last year

and I think Joan kept the baby as well

RW99
10-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Great episode, lots of stuff going on. Though, there was very little Ms. Hendricks, so it could have been better ;)

d_phaneuf
10-11-2010, 02:44 PM
starting to think what happens is they do something to save the agency and then something tragic, like Sterling or Cooper dying, happens

Flames0910
10-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I thought Don's theatrics were awesome, and Peggy's barely noticeable smile was a beaut.

VANFLAMESFAN
10-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Great episode, lots of stuff going on. Though, there was very little Ms. Hendricks, so it could have been better ;)

Ask and you shall receive.

BTW, she has big jugs.

http://www.thepressnet.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/christina-hendricks-beautiful-hips.jpg

Mike F
10-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Will be a big loss if Bert Cooper really does leave.

Is Don Draper the most personally reprehensible leading man in TV history? The nice things he does, like covering Pete's share, always shock me. He's damn fun to watch though.

getbak
10-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Is Don Draper the most personally reprehensible leading man in TV history?
I'd say Tony Soprano was much worse.

Torture
10-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Don did exactly what he needed to last episode, changed the conversation.
That was freakin' awesome. :D

Can't believe Burt quit, loved his line though..."Tobacco put a roof over your head".

Mike F
10-11-2010, 07:41 PM
I'd say Tony Soprano was much worse.

Because he killed people? As far as I remember, Tony only killed those who had volunteered to play the game.

Yes, he cheated, lied, hurt people, etc., but you also got regular reminders about how much love he had for his families. Outside of Anna, I can't think of anyone Don really cares about. In every relationship he has, he focused on what he can get out of it. He's completely self-absorbed, as we were reminded this week.

nik-
10-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Holy cow. I was in shock as that proposal scene was unfolding. I mean yeah, they had slept together and there was still the whole "you'll be married within the year" comment hanging over this season, but yikes.

Then to see Hurricane Don just destroy Dr. Miller ... damn.

It was also interesting to see Don snapping between Don and Dick in the cafe when that milkshake spilled and Megan pointed out that it was just a milkshake. She definitely chills him out. Joan still being pregnant ... not a shock, that conversation in the doctor's office with that girls mother definitely hit her hard.

Crazy episode tonight.

Also ... a much more mellow way to end this season compared to the past.

getbak
10-17-2010, 10:09 PM
"They're bigger." :eek:

I'm glad they didn't do another "what's going to happen with the agency?" finale like last year.

The proposal was ridiculously fast, but he did live up (or down) to Faye's prediction.

I really liked the scene with Joan and Peggy. It was so nice to see them actually be friendly with each other for once.

I wonder if Don will end up keeping the house? I could see them starting next season with Don and Megan living in the old house with the kids and the nanny re-hired.

Cowperson
10-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Meaghan is a sane Betty . . . . that's what Don was thinking . . . . and a way to get a happy nuclear home life back.

Meanwhile, Betty wants Don back . . . . fixing herself up and inventing an excuse to run into him at the old house. She's my favourite psycho on TV.

And Betty got to him anyway, that's what the final scene was about.. . . . Don staring at the ceiling, wondering what might have been and, dare we say it, what could still be.

Nice shot by Dr. Miller at the end about liking things at the start.

Cowperson

Ark2
10-17-2010, 10:34 PM
I really liked the finale. Seeing Don happy and Betty miserable was just icing on the cake.

Torture
10-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Meagan's line "It's just a milkshake" was pretty telling.
Still, you can't help but think he's going down the Roger Sterling path of self destruction.

Temporary_User
10-18-2010, 01:01 AM
For those who haven't seen Hot Tub Time Machine, this link may interest you
(those who have seen it, probably just want a nice refresher)
http://www.cafe.ba/vijesti_slike/v25597-1.jpg
PHOTO IS NSFW - It is Jessica Pare (Meaghan) showing her tits in the movie

I'm curious what January Jones' (Betty Draper) next role will be. She is incredibly hot so I like her, but am really starting to extremely dislike her because the Betty Draper character is so annoying.

VANFLAMESFAN
10-18-2010, 02:19 AM
Because he killed people? As far as I remember, Tony only killed those who had volunteered to play the game.

Yes, he cheated, lied, hurt people, etc., but you also got regular reminders about how much love he had for his families. Outside of Anna, I can't think of anyone Don really cares about. In every relationship he has, he focused on what he can get out of it. He's completely self-absorbed, as we were reminded this week.

Sorry for Sopranos chat the night of the Mad Men finale, but I just saw this post.

How about when Tony killed Christopher?? How about when he killed Tony B?? I know that one probably needed to happen, and there is justification behind it, but for a man who was all about family, he killed two guys that he groomed from a very young age. Tony was a very unlikeable character in the last couple of seasons of the show and I read an interview with Gandolfini saying he didn't like playing Tony as the show came to a conclusion.

Back to Mad Men, I didn;t think it was the greatest finale. I thought it lacked the WOW factor of the other finales. Not that I'm always looking for that, but I guess my expectations were high based on last year's finale. The proposal thing definitely caught me off guard and yes, the scene in the diner with the kids and the milkshake was very telling. I was waiting all episode to see if there would be one finale Don and Betty scene and sure enough we had it and it was a great one.

Pretty upset we have to wait 10 months or whatever it is for new episodes, but I just started re watching Season One, so I'll get my Mad Men fix for the time being.

VANFLAMESFAN
10-18-2010, 02:38 AM
I noticed this in a couple of posts above and I guess I totally missed it and by all accounts would have made me see certain scenes differently. But when did Faye say that Don would be re married within the year?? Who did she say it to and what was the context?? I totally missed or forgot that line.

nik-
10-18-2010, 06:58 AM
I noticed this in a couple of posts above and I guess I totally missed it and by all accounts would have made me see certain scenes differently. But when did Faye say that Don would be re married within the year?? Who did she say it to and what was the context?? I totally missed or forgot that line.

It was well before they started dating, they were having a drink in the kitchen of SCDP and he just opened up to her about his personal life. It was the same conversation that he found out she wasn't actually married.

Flames0910
10-18-2010, 11:21 AM

she said something like "you're type always is." then "oh, i forgot...people don't like to think of themselves as a type"

Back to Mad Men, I didn;t think it was the greatest finale. I thought it lacked the WOW factor of the other finales. Not that I'm always looking for that, but I guess my expectations were high based on last year's finale. The proposal thing definitely caught me off guard and yes, the scene in the diner with the kids and the milkshake was very telling. I was waiting all episode to see if there would be one finale Don and Betty scene and sure enough we had it and it was a great one.

This. There really wasn't an OH SH*T moment (even the proposal). I kind of expected it though, we got the climax last week with the smoking awesomeness. This week was about wrapping up the loose ends (and then purposely untying one with Betty at the end)

VladtheImpaler
10-18-2010, 11:24 AM
What a brilliant show. When Betty was alone in the house at the end, I half-expected the weird kid to show up and off her - probably just my own wishful thinking. ;)

Temporary_User
10-18-2010, 12:45 PM
What does everyone think of Glen? Was/is he just there to get Betty to finally move? Or is there more?

What about Firing the housekeeper? Was that just to get Meaghan to go to Cali, or is there some other reason?

VANFLAMESFAN
10-18-2010, 12:54 PM
What does everyone think of Glen? Was/is he just there to get Betty to finally move? Or is there more?

What about Firing the housekeeper? Was that just to get Meaghan to go to Cali, or is there some other reason?

Why would Betty want Megan to go to California?? I don't understand what you're trying to insinuate???

I think Glen will try to contact Sally down the line and maybe re-open that relationship as well. In all honesty, despite limited screen time, I found the character of Sally the most interesting of the season.

Cowperson
10-18-2010, 01:05 PM
The always interesting Mad Men analysis in Time Magazine . . . .

http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2010/10/18/mad-men-watch-put-a-ring-on-it/

Cowperson

FurnaceFace
10-18-2010, 01:06 PM

I think there's more. Something about him reminds her of her past is my guess.

- Megs to Cali
- Adds to the Betty is a bitch pile
- Shows Betty as a child, she did that out of spite
- Drives a wedge between her and new husband

I could see Don moving back into the house and the Sally - Glen situation continue which will uncover whatever it is from Betty's past. I can see Carla coming back when he has the kids too.

Agree with the comments about Joan and Peggy's scene, I'd like some of the periphery characters to get the spotlight every so often.

Some interesting loose ends:

- How much will Don change and will he come clean on who he is?
- What's up with Betty?
- How will Rog take the news Joan is still pregnant?
- Will Joan's husband be KIA in Vietnam next season?
- Will the agency recover? (seems to be)
- Is Roger actually gone?
- How will Meg and Don's relationship affect the agency?
- Will Pete actually have a personality and stop talking like a loser? (ok, that one's my own hope)

It was a good wrap up for a season ender.

Temporary_User
10-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Why would Betty want Megan to go to California?? I don't understand what you're trying to insinuate???

I think Glen will try to contact Sally down the line and maybe re-open that relationship as well. In all honesty, despite limited screen time, I found the character of Sally the most interesting of the season.No not Betty wanting, but why did the writers bring the character back all of the sudden.

Temporary_User
10-18-2010, 01:10 PM
One other thing, Joan's last name has always been Harris right?
What Season did she get married again?
I noticed her husbands "name tag" on his military uniform was Harris.

getbak
10-18-2010, 01:17 PM
One other thing, Joan's last name has always been Harris right?
What Season did she get married again?
I noticed her husbands "name tag" on his military uniform was Harris.
According to IMDB, her maiden name is Holloway, and she got married at the end of season 2.

VANFLAMESFAN
11-11-2010, 02:16 PM
nm

VANFLAMESFAN
03-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Yeah_Baby mentioned this in the movie thread, but in case you missed it, Mad Men will not be back for Season 5 until 2012. Matthew Weiner and AMC are having some negotiating problems. AMC wants some characters cut out of the show for cost purpsoses.

Mad Men gets awards and great reviews and legitimate buzz, but the ratings are pretty mediocre.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/03/29/mad-men-characters/

With this news and Breaking Bad set for a late year release, and Walking Dead not coming back for a bit, AMC better hope their new show The Killing brings in the numbers. It starts this weekend. I'm pumped for it.

Based on AMC's track record, I have to give this show a watch. I'm still mad Rubicon didn't get picked up for Season 2. I was really into that show at the end of the season.

Don Draper was asked for his reaction on the news.....his response.

WsJSRP7cZVo

REDVAN
03-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Love the what video... and love this show. Too bad it isn't coming back until next year, but I'm sure it'll end up being worth the wait (or kill the show entirely, there is no middle ground).

Weiser Wonder
03-30-2011, 01:03 AM
So that's why they are always shuffling characters in and out? For cost purposes? Well that makes my major pet peeve with the show a little more understandable. The "gang" of lower employees which was a solid group of characters in the first 3 seasons became a shifting blob of lame character after lame character.

Sr. Mints
03-30-2011, 02:26 AM
I didn't know about this 2012 business, and am a bit disappointed, to be honest. It is the only show I make a point to watch.

Garrgh!

RW99
03-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Yeah, I am disappoint. But aparently it gets crap ratings, so maybe save some money instead of cancelling? If this was on NBC it would be in the trash already ;)

Prototype
03-30-2011, 01:29 PM
They've expanded the universe of Mad Men to so many characters that they could axe 2-10 and people wouldn't notice. Personally, I'd love to see Campbell get killed off in a horible hunting accident, dead by his father-in-law's gun. That would get rid of 4 characters right there.

I would also get rid of Betts at this point too. She's only around to be a thorn in Don's side, which they already have created other characters to do so. Every time she is on the screen I fill with rage. January Jones is a horrible actress, and the character is so wooden... be gone with you.

Have the kids pop up every once and a while, but get rid of their mother. There's another 2, her and her new hubby... then again, all of Betts friends would be gone too, so that's another million or so useless characters.

The could kill off Cooper too... being up there in age.

The thing is, they could get rid of so many characters, the hippy kids, the creepy neighbour kid, etc and still come up with compelling television.

VANFLAMESFAN
03-30-2011, 01:34 PM
They've expanded the universe of Mad Men to so many characters that they could axe 2-10 and people wouldn't notice. Personally, I'd love to see Campbell get killed off in a horible hunting accident, dead by his father-in-law's gun. That would get rid of 4 characters right there.

I would also get rid of Betts at this point too. She's only around to be a thorn in Don's side, which they already have created other characters to do so. Every time she is on the screen I fill with rage. January Jones is a horrible actress, and the character is so wooden... be gone with you.

Have the kids pop up every once and a while, but get rid of their mother. There's another 2, her and her new hubby... then again, all of Betts friends would be gone too, so that's another million or so useless characters.

The could kill off Cooper too... being up there in age.

The thing is, they could get rid of so many characters, the hippy kids, the creepy neighbour kid, etc and still come up with compelling television.

Agree with everything here except for the January Jones comment. I think she's great. Her character is annoying as hell and yes, would be awesome to see bad things happen to her, but I think January does a great job with the role. If she was doing a bad job, people would always be talking about houw bad she was as opposed to how annoying the character is. And that'a a credit to January and the writing.

But like you said, if they did get rid of her or other characters, the show wouldn't miss a beat. Don and Peggy are the only untouchables in my mind.

Yeah_Baby
03-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Agree with everything here except for the January Jones comment. I think she's great. Her character is annoying as hell and yes, would be awesome to see bad things happen to her, but I think January does a great job with the role. If she was doing a bad job, people would always be talking about houw bad she was as opposed to how annoying the character is. And that'a a credit to January and the writing.

But like you said, if they did get rid of her or other characters, the show wouldn't miss a beat. Don and Peggy are the only untouchables in my mind.

You're high. January was annoying as Michelle's sister in American Wedding. And she was supposed to this Goddess that Stifler and Finch were swooning for. As if.

VANFLAMESFAN
03-30-2011, 02:01 PM
I guess I'll let her 2 golden globe and 1 emmy nominations do the talking for me.

Yeah_Baby
03-30-2011, 02:03 PM
I guess I'll let her 2 golden globe and 1 emmy nominations do the talking for me.

I love when people defend things via awards. Because they mean so much.

VANFLAMESFAN
03-30-2011, 02:06 PM
I love when people defend things via awards. Because they mean so much.

Do award nomination mean she's a bad actress?? Prototype called her a bad actress, you seemed to agree. If she's such an awful actress, there is ZERO chance she gets nominated for any individual awards. Especially the Emmy.

People are confusing hating her character so much with viewing her work as an actress.

Weiser Wonder
03-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Jones is alright, but she's not a talented actress. Remember when she had to cry in the Kennedy assassination episode? Dear god that sucked.

I actually liked Betty in Season 2 and part of Season 3. It went downhill when she met Henry, who has yet to develop as a character beyond "guy who steals Betty away." Every scene with those two is annoying. Why are they in love? What is Henry even like as a person? Season 4 she was annoying and bitchy as can be and Henry still doesn't have a personality.

Why Cooper was kept around so long was always odd to me, they could have gotten rid of him for Season 3 and Season 4. One retirement episode is all it would take. Not that I mind him at all, he's a pretty entertaining character. But if costs are a concern, he seems like the obvious choice to me.

The creepy neighbor kid will be around until the end of the show because he's the creator's son. Every plotline with him in it is entirely uninteresting, but I suspect Matthew Weiner has no idea. That's why you don't cast your family.

As for characters you need to keep, I'd keep the office crew of Pete, Harry, Ken, Joan and Peggy. I think their interactions bring a lot to the show. Everything else is superfluous in my mind and could go if necessary.

And I'm glad Draper picked Megan over Faye. I didn't much like Faye ever since the focus group, where she seemed abnormally cruel.

Prototype
03-30-2011, 04:39 PM

Awards can't talk. :whistle:

Watch her run hosting SNL 2 years ago or so. Tell me she's a fantastic actress after you sit through an hour and a half of carboard with make up.

Slava
03-31-2011, 08:37 PM
A deal has been reached apparently, although the season is still delayed because other arrangements were already made:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/967200--mad-men-deal-reached-for-more-seasons

VANFLAMESFAN
03-31-2011, 09:26 PM
A deal has been reached apparently, although the season is still delayed because other arrangements were already made:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/967200--mad-men-deal-reached-for-more-seasons

Good to hear. Very interesting stuff.

Too bad we gotta wait till next year though, but at least the deal is done and no characters will go unless Weiner says so(assuming those rumors were true).

Weiser Wonder
03-31-2011, 11:21 PM
Can't wait! I'm assuming a three year deal means three more seasons?

Burninator
04-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I can't believe the show has mediocre ratings. Obviously they have to pull out the big guns and Christina Hendricks must have a topless scene every episode. Must be done. Must be.

Komskies
04-01-2011, 09:44 AM
As long as they keep the boobs lady. I tried watching the show a few times, and it was way too boring for my tastes, but there were some good boobs.

Joborule
04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
As long as they keep the boobs lady. I tried watching the show a few times, and it was way too boring for my tastes, but there were some good boobs.

I gotta admit, that's what got me into the show in the first place. :bag: Granted I knew nothing of it beforehand.

getbak
04-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Depending on how far into the "future" they skip, she'll either be pregnant or have a very small baby, so they should be even bigger next season.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Good to see Mad Men win Best Drama series last night. They've had 4 seasons and won all 4 times. Pretty amazing.

I was very disappointed that Jon Hamm didn't win though. I felt with Cranston out of the running, he was a shoe in. I thought if he was going to lose, it would have been Buscemi beating him out and I would have understood. But Kyle Chandler? Laughable at best. I'm not going to say I've watched every episode of FNL, but I have a hard time seeing him out perform Hamm. Especially Hamm in Season 4. I thought Chandler winning was an absolute joke.

REDVAN
09-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Are they in production of season 5 yet? Does it come back in January?

This is, by far, my favourite show.

Mike F
09-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Chandler winning was part of the Academy giving recognition to a good show as it is retired. It's the equivalent of Cal Ripkin Jr. being served up that juicy pitch in his last All-Star game.

Chandler was a part of the unappreciated and too short Homefront, though, so I won't really complain.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Chandler winning was part of the Academy giving recognition to a good show as it is retired. It's the equivalent of Cal Ripkin Jr. being served up that juicy pitch in his last All-Star game.

Chandler was a part of the unappreciated and too short Homefront, though, so I won't really complain.

The nomination wasn't enough? I agree Friday Night Lights was definitely unappreciated.

I feel bad for Jon Hamm. The show gets the recognition it derserves, but he is the lead, he is the show and he is getting shut out for the most part when it comes to award shows. 8 Golden Globe and Emmy nominations combined and one win. Disgraceful.

Yeah_Baby
09-19-2011, 10:30 PM
I think we should alter to the thread tags. Betty is not hot. Betty is an annoying immature bitch who makes me want to destroy my television.

Mike F
09-19-2011, 10:37 PM
I feel bad for Jon Hamm.
Jon Hamm is a famous, well paid actor staring in an acclaimed show and in known both as a great actor and one of the handsomest men of his generation (not my feelings, but popular opinion).

I don NOT feel bad for Jon Hamm

VANFLAMESFAN
09-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Jon Hamm is a famous, well paid actor staring in an acclaimed show and in known both as a great actor and one of the handsomest men of his generation (not my feelings, but popular opinion).

I don NOT feel bad for Jon Hamm

Alright, wrong choice of words.

I wish Jon Hamm would win some efn awards.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-19-2011, 11:17 PM
I think we should alter to the thread tags. Betty is not hot. Betty is an annoying immature bitch who makes me want to destroy my television.

Betty is a bitch.

January Jones is hot IMO.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-F5P0UpzC6dU/TeraD6UrWLI/AAAAAAAABcA/-ZCQB-GHzDM/s640/january-jones-0902-01.jpg

Yeah_Baby
09-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Betty is a bitch.

January Jones is hot IMO.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-F5P0UpzC6dU/TeraD6UrWLI/AAAAAAAABcA/-ZCQB-GHzDM/s640/january-jones-0902-01.jpg

More attractive than she is talented.

Sliver
09-20-2011, 09:33 AM

:blink:..Guy, she's pretty much the definition of hot. Remember the Paris episode? Ho-ly crap.

She's annoying, but I think her hotness compensates nicely for it so I'm not a Betty hater.

Weiser Wonder
09-20-2011, 10:00 AM
January Jones/Betty is hot enough that I can easily rationalize any personality she might happen to have.

d_phaneuf
09-20-2011, 10:51 AM
The nomination wasn't enough? I agree Friday Night Lights was definitely unappreciated.

I feel bad for Jon Hamm. The show gets the recognition it derserves, but he is the lead, he is the show and he is getting shut out for the most part when it comes to award shows. 8 Golden Globe and Emmy nominations combined and one win. Disgraceful.

Hamm is very good, but Chandler in the last season of Friday Night Lights was very good as well

have no problem with it going to Chandler, actually happier it is going to him because it was his last shot, Hamm will still get a chance after Breaking Bad goes off the air to get one

even if he doesn't though, this year no one was as good as Cranston is week in and week out so I don't think there was a big favorite

I would have been fine with a Hamm, Chandler, Olyphant, or Buschemi win

Yeah_Baby
09-20-2011, 09:44 PM
, but I think her hotness compensates nicely for it so I'm not a Betty hater.

I used to think so, but then she opens her mouth and acts more immature than Sally Draper. I despise the character.

Flash Walken
01-15-2012, 11:44 PM
http://www.movieweb.com/news/mad-men-returns-with-season-5-on-march-25

AMC announced today, from the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena, California, premiere dates for new and returning original series in Q1 and Q2 2012, including the critically acclaimed dramas Mad Men, The Killing and The Walking Dead, as well as its unscripted series Talking Dead and Comic Book Men.

As one of the most highly anticipated season premieres of the year, the Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winning drama Mad Men is back with a two-hour season 5 premiere on Sunday, March 25 at 9pm ET/PT. Written by Matthew Weiner and directed by Jennifer Getzinger, the season premiere episode will also be available on AMCTV.com the Monday after air.

Following the premiere, on Sunday, April 1, Mad Men will return to its regular timeslot at 10pm ET/PT with an episode written by Erin Levy and Matthew Weiner and directed by Jon Hamm.

Fans looking to catch up on Mad Men can watch the fourth season On Demand, beginning Monday, January 23, or set their DVR every Sunday morning at 6:00am ET/PT when AMC continues to air episodes from seasons one through four (in order) leading up to the season five premiere.

Yay!

Yeah_Baby
01-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Finally!

macker
01-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Jon Hamm is a big hockey fan....was at the NHL awards last year and we passed him on the street and had my sons picture taken with him as we thought he was a hockey player in town for the awards:blink: Had to ask around as I had no idea and have never watched Mad Men:bag:

VANFLAMESFAN
01-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Jon Hamm is a big hockey fan....was at the NHL awards last year and we passed him on the street and had my sons picture taken with him as we thought he was a hockey player in town for the awards:blink: Had to ask around as I had no idea and have never watched Mad Men:bag:

tvLTWeKr5eQp

speeds
03-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Mad Men is back in less than 2 weeks, with a 2 hour premiere.

Anyone excited, or has it been gone too long for you to have kept your interest?

Yeah_Baby
03-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Mad Men is back in less than 2 weeks, with a 2 hour premiere.

Anyone excited, or has it been gone too long for you to have kept your interest?

I can't wait.

malcolmk14
03-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Ohhhh hell yeah, so excited!!!

Yeah_Baby
03-12-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm still annoyed at Don for getting rid of Faye. I mean as hot as I think Megan is, it was dumb move. A whole season of striving for personal growth all done away.

VladtheImpaler
03-13-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm still annoyed at Don for getting rid of Faye. I mean as hot as I think Megan is, it was dumb move. A whole season of striving for personal growth all done away.

It has been too long. Megan is the secretary, right? Now, who the heck was Faye again? Was she the focus group expert? I should re-watch the whole thing before the start of the new season...

KTrain
03-13-2012, 08:15 AM
They really should do a recap show prior to the premiere.

I'm looking forward to this.

Joborule
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Let's do this. AMC keeps Sunday evenings occupied for me.

Hockey
03-18-2012, 11:34 PM
I heard this show was pretty good, so I am going to start watching from season 1.

Does it take awhile to get going, or will I be hooked right away?

MrMastodonFarm
03-18-2012, 11:41 PM
I heard this show was pretty good, so I am going to start watching from season 1.

I watched all four seasons in January and February recently, and the first two seasons are really good and will get you hooked... but then the show really hits its stride in season 3 IMO.. and season four is just wow.

Yeah_Baby
03-18-2012, 11:46 PM
It has been too long. Megan is the secretary, right? Now, who the heck was Faye again? Was she the focus group expert? I should re-watch the whole thing before the start of the new season...

Yes and Yes.

Sliver
03-19-2012, 08:50 AM

I wasn't hooked right away, so it may take at least a few episodes. Hang in there...you can do it!

It's probably been said a million times in this thread, but it's on Netflix (first three seasons, anyway), so that's your best value for watching it.

silentsim
03-19-2012, 12:51 PM
might go on a season 4 marathon before 5 starts...even though i've seen it before it feels as if it was so long ago

Cowperson
03-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Newsweek does a Mad Men retro cover this week:

http://nw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/madmen/img/mad-men-ipad-promo.png

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/03/18/mad-men-goes-back-to-the-office.html

Mad Men and the Cult Of Shapewear:

http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/03/22/retro-dressing-mad-men-and-the-cult-of-shapewear/

http://nationalpostlife.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/madladies.jpg?w=620

Cowperson

speeds
03-22-2012, 10:16 AM
They really should do a recap show prior to the premiere.

I'm looking forward to this.

Sunday morning, from 4-7 am, AMC is showing the last 3 episodes of the previous season.

MrMastodonFarm
03-22-2012, 10:19 AM
I wasn't hooked right away, so it may take at least a few episodes. Hang in there...you can do it!

It's probably been said a million times in this thread, but it's on Netflix (first three seasons, anyway), so that's your best value for watching it.
All four seasons are on Netflix

Cowperson
03-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Sunday morning, from 4-7 am, AMC is showing the last 3 episodes of the previous season.

They were actually showing episodes from ALL the previous seasons in that time slot, but lately just last season.

Great for DVR'ering.

Cowperson