PDA

View Full Version : GAME 2: STAMPEDERS at Hamilton

OzSome
07-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Second game of the season. Stampeders dominated the game against Toronto but still barely did enough to win the game. The problem was the capitalizing the red zone. Stamps didn't get any TD pass. I am sure game 2 will be much better and I can see Burris throwing a few TD passes.

Stamps defense were solid in Game 1 except for that one TD by Toronto; otherwise they didn't give Toronto offense a lot to maneuver. Some people thinks defense played well against an inexperienced QB. I guess we will find out soon enough if they are really that good.

The Offense did well except for the Red Zone problem. Bryant, Reynolds and others did well enough considering it is only the first game. I am sure some are still rusted from the off-season.

QUARTERBACK: Burris wasn't sharp on the game vs Toronto but that's fine. He has to learn the new system with Dave Dickerson and Huf calling the offensive play instead of George Cortez who left for Buffalo Bils(NFL). He also have to adjust for not having Copeland, Ralph and Rambo out there. He's got a new target though in Romby Bryant.

RUNNING BACK: Joffrey Reynolds is still the same RB that we know. It would be interesting what Joffrey can do with the new OLine group and having to sit more in order for Cornish some play time. I really like these two combo especially once Cornish start playing better.

OFFENSIVE LINE: I thought OLine passed the test on their first game. Myddleton and Harrison got picked on a lot against the Argos but they seemed to answer the bell. The Oline played a lot better as the game goes on. I am sure these guys watch the tape a lot and picked on their mistakes. I am wondering if Lazeo will get his starting centre position back soon. O'Neill did a good job but I think he lacks a bit of a nastiness that Lazeo can give. So far, the OLine got a B+.

RECEIVERS: Burris used mostly all his receivers in the first game. I am not even going to discuss Nik Lewis here because everybody knows how consistent he is both in catching the ball and helping with the blocking. I thought Jermaine Jackson played well. It might tough for PK Sam to take his spot but since it is still early in the season, the coaching staff are still in experimenting mood. Romby Bryant is making Huf's decision tougher. When Ken-Yon Rambo comes back from the injury, would Rambo takes Bryant's spot, platooned with him or one of the two change from outside to inside or Huf starts 2 import WR?

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN: These guys played a great game. They pressured Toronto QB all night and didn't give up a lot of first down position. The slimmer Labinjo was much faster and agile and I though Robede did a good job.Hughes and others were great as well.

LINEBACKING: Wow, I thought Juwan Simpson was so comfortable playing the MLB position. If he plays like that every game, I can see McCune having problem getting back in the lineup. Keon Raymond with the interception were good as well.

DEFENSIVE BACKS: I thought this position was the weakest link on the first game. They had a few missed tackles and bad coverage but I am not worried because it is the first game.

SPECIAL TEAM: Sandro who???? Not bad for a first game by the first rounder. Maver missed a field goal but he did well for his first game. PR/KR Deon Murphy had some ups and down. He better learn to hang on to the ball otherwise he won't last for a long time. They said people will not notice a lot of good things that a player did during the game BUT the bad ones no matter how many times it happens will stick in people's mind. I have to say Murphy had a so-so game. He did some good things and he did some bad plays as well. Murphy admitted it so on the next practice, he carries the ball all day and tried not to let it go.

The Stamps are playing against Hamilton(the most improved team last season). They are playing against Sandro and I believed Shannon James is there as well. The game is on Saturday at 11am at Hamilton.

I will post some more updates before the game.

GO STAMPS GO!!

Erick Estrada
07-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I'll watch the game but it's pretty well going to be a garenteed loss. First of all the Stampeders play horribly in Ivor Wynne regardless of how competitive the Ti-Cats are. Second of all it's only game two and every season since Hank has been back the offense performs like junk until the 4/5 game mark. It was garbage again against Toronto which would have been a loss against any other CFL team and I don't see it getting into gear in these two Ontario road games.

Da_Chief
07-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Looks like Jermaine Jackson is benched in favor of PK Sam.

Erick Estrada
07-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Looks like Jermaine Jackson is benched in favor of PK Sam.

Kind of a bummer for Jackson. He had a nice first game and training camp went well. I wonder how much of this has to do with Sam being the player in return for Copeland.

OzSome
07-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Kind of a bummer for Jackson. He had a nice first game and training camp went well. I wonder how much of this has to do with Sam being the player in return for Copeland.

Huffer wants to see what PK Sam can do. If he doesn't perform, then he's back to backupor even benched. As I recall I read that Huffer was very happy with JJ's play in the first game. He will probably dress up for the game as PK's backup because I heard Neon Deon got hurt in practice.

worth
07-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I disagree with your assessment of Burris being not sharp. He was razor sharp, just couldn't put it away in the end zone. He played a great game.

Erick Estrada
07-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I disagree with your assessment of Burris being not sharp. He was razor sharp, just couldn't put it away in the end zone. He played a great game.

First of all I said the offense as a whole wasn't that sharp and benefitted from a Toronto team that couldn't keep its offense on the field. Hank had a decent game but at the end of the day when you have the ball for 3/4 of the game and score just one offensive touchdown it just isn't good enough.

worth
07-09-2010, 12:54 PM
QUARTERBACK: Burris wasn't sharp on the game vs Toronto

I actually didn't even read your post EE. :bag:

OzSome
07-09-2010, 03:30 PM
I actually didn't even read your post EE. :bag:

He didn't have a bad game but if Burris is as sharp as you think, he could bury those red zone chances. The closest one for a TD pass was with Rob Cote on the end zone. I thought that was a TD but I guess he didn't have the full control of the ball.

I guess I would say not as sharp as the Burris that we know.

Beerfest
07-09-2010, 08:55 PM
I get off work at 10 tomorrow morning, then im heading to the bar haha.

Flickered Flame
07-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Ugly start for the Stamps. A couple of nice plays but the drive stalls. Dales with a good punt but the Cats return it for a touchdown. Stamps allow their 2nd kick return for TD. Special teams have to be better.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Brutal start. Thigpen only had to run straight up the middle to take it down the field but this is the type of thing that happens to the Stamps in Hamilton.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 11:16 AM
One of these years it would be nice for the Stampeders to have decent special teams. Every year it seems near the bottom of the league.

Machiavelli
07-10-2010, 11:23 AM
One of these years it would be nice for the Stampeders to have decent special teams. Every year it seems near the bottom of the league.

Can't be worse than the Bombers' absymal ST.

Flickered Flame
07-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Now that was a great drive. Great pump fake by Burris.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Very nice drive. Taking what the defense gave them all the way down the field. Something the Stampeders rarely did when Cortez was the OC.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Now that was a great drive. Great pump fake by Burris.

What's with the lifetime suspension? Inside joke?

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Can't be worse than the Bombers' absymal ST.

Returning a long FG attempt is a little easier to break. Part of Winnipeg's issues is that their kicker is terrible.

Machiavelli
07-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Returning a long FG attempt is a little easier to break. Part of Winnipeg's issues is that their kicker is terrible.

True, but they've had other problems on special teams for a few seasons now.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Ha ha. DeAngelis misses.

arloiginla
07-10-2010, 11:34 AM
DeAngelis misses an easy field goal.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 11:45 AM
More brutal special teams. What is it with this stadium? Stampeders just unravelling.

Flickered Flame
07-10-2010, 11:45 AM
First a punt returned for a TD now a blocked punt.

Flickered Flame
07-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Great defense by the Stamps. Sandro makes the FG. Cats up 4.

rubecube
07-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Bryant has hands of stone.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Wow no faith in special teams coverage so kicking off only 30 yards.

Flickered Flame
07-10-2010, 12:04 PM
They were marching the ball down the field with Reynolds and then tried a pass to Bryant who dropped it. After a good stop by the defence, the offence comes back out with 2 incomplete passes. Run Reynolds, the Ti-Cats haven't stopped him yet.

Flickered Flame
07-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Ugly.

Flickered Flame
07-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Starting to see some weaknesses in that o-line. They gotta give Hank more time to throw the ball.

rubecube
07-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Can anybody on this team catch a football?

Erick Estrada
The drops have been just atrocious.

Flickered Flame
Bryant and Franklin better start holding on to the ball if they want to be on the roster once both Thelwell and Rambo are healthy.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Poor clock management on this drive probably cost them 4 points. They have these headsets to speed things up but too much time was wasted pre-snap.

Overall good half by the defense and the offense when they weren't dropping balls. Abysmal Stampeders special teams the only reason the Tiger Cats are even in the game.

socalwingfan
07-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Glad I saw this thread, completely forgot the game in on NFL network today - caught the last 4 seconds of the first half. Wish they would show some higlights of what I missed

troutman
07-10-2010, 12:29 PM
If these receivers keep dropping the ball, they should be sent packing.

Don't kick to Thigpen.

OzSome
07-10-2010, 12:39 PM
First half is over. Hamilton ahead 19-13. Stamps went for the safe call on that last play going for Field Goal instead of going for a TD. I can't really blame them with 2 seconds left.

Hamilton defense is picking on rookei import OLine Edwin Harrison. Hickman is dominating him. If this thing keeps up, I'll say it is time to change the ratio by putting non-import veteran Rob Lazeo on Harrison's spot.

Burris been running for his life in the first half so far. Then when he have the time to throw the ball, twice an open WR Romby Bryant dropped the ball and another 2 were dropped by another former Bomber Arjei Franklin. Joffrey Reynolds on the other hand is having a good game so far running the ball. One play on the first half that he could have gone all the way if it wasn't for the last Hamilton defensive player stopping him.

Stamps defense are actually playing good except for Thigpen's TD and Arland Bruce's catch before that. I am sure the defense will step up a notch more in the 2nd half.

Special team gave up a TD on the first special team play by Hamilton. Deon Murphy is actually playing well today. Almost had a TD return there if it wasn't for former Stamps' Sandro trip. Defensive coverage for special team MUST play better.

The game is close so anything can happen. Stamps possession much better than Hamilton's. If the offense cut down on mistakes ie: dropped balls and better protection, Calgary will win this game.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Ugh Burris. This team is killing itself with mistakes today.

OzSome
07-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Good start in the 2nd half only be snapped up by a freaking INT.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Good start in the 2nd half only be snapped up by a freaking INT.

Terrible throw by a veteran QB. Not sure what he thought he saw but there was no way that throw was going to lead to anything positive.

Flickered Flame
07-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Sandro missed the FG and Murphy with a great return. Stamps must get 7 out of this.

Hades
07-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Just ran out of gas...up to the offense to put it in now!

Flickered Flame
07-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Touchdown Nik Lewis!

Hades
And there it is!

OzSome
Whoa, good return on a missed goal. At the beginning I thought he was going to get stopped on a 2-3 yards lines but he exploded. That could have been a terrible mistakes by the rookie if he got stopped there. Good blocked on Sandro this time on the punt return this time.

Touchdown!!! Burris to Nike Lewis!!

Erick Estrada
Nice creative play there. Offense looking much more efficient than last year.

Bertuzzied
07-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Haha Sandro! you suck.

Who the hell leaves Calgary for Hamilton on their own accord?

socalwingfan
07-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Dumb question - Why does TSN still have the Olympic Rings in it's logo?

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Haha Sandro! you suck.

Who the hell leaves Calgary for Hamilton on their own accord?

Then he has the audacity to say he went to the Cats because he thought they offered him the best chance to win the Grey Cup not to be close to home which is a slap in the face to the Stampeders organization. When Burke Dales gave him a black eye last year you knew that there were issues with Sandro in the locker room.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Why did they stop handing the ball off to Reynolds? It's no coincidence that the offense has dried up since they went all pass. It's the major flaw of most CFL offenses in that pretty well every team focuses too much on the pass. Reynolds had 80 yards in just over a half which was eating the clock and moving the sticks then the Stamps just stopped giving him the ball. I just don't get it.

arloiginla
07-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Why did they stop handing the ball off to Reynolds? It's no coincidence that the offense has dried up since they went all pass. It's the major flaw of most CFL offenses in that pretty well every team focuses too much on the pass. Reynolds had 80 yards in just over a half which was eating the clock and moving the sticks then the Stamps just stopped giving him the ball. I just don't get it.

They've done that for years. When Reynolds gets 100 yards on the ground the Stamps record is incredible.

octothorp
07-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Awesome stand by the Stamps. Glenn is way too locked in on Bruce.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 01:31 PM
They've done that for years. When Reynolds gets 100 yards on the ground the Stamps record is incredible.

Yeah but I though with Cortez gone this would change. Disappointing.

OzSome
07-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Good defense!!! Hamilton had a nice drive but Stamps D didn't give them a point.

Still 20-19 for the Stamps 4th quarter.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Awesome stand by the Stamps. Glenn is way too locked in on Bruce.

For good reason though. The Stampeders have never been able to contain him. Even on some brutal Argos teams he'd always get his 100 yards against the Stamps.

arloiginla
07-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeah but I though with Cortez gone this would change. Disappointing.

It's only game 2. They'll make plenty of adjustments over the season, as I think Dickenson is the kind of guy who is more willing to be cerebral and take what defenses give him, instead of forcing his plan like Cortez did.

rubecube
07-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Hamilton should've kicked the FG.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Well that terrible 2nd down call may be the Stampeders undoing. Why not just QB sneak to move the chains, run down the clock and get into FG position? Why make things so difficult. Different co-ordinator but same puzzling calls.

Hades
07-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Yess!

Flickered Flame
YES! Sandro who? Great win for the Stamps!

chummer
Suck it DeAngelus!!

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Character win. Lot's of things didn't go right but the team hang in there and gutted it out. IMO the game ball goes to the run defense. Cobb went absolutely nowhere today and the Cats had to depend on all their yards through the air.

OzSome
07-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Well that terrible 2nd down call may be the Stampeders undoing. Why not just QB sneak to move the chains, run down the clock and get into FG position? Why make things so difficult. Different co-ordinator but same puzzling calls.

What?? Reynolds did what he needs to do by going down in the middle. What's wrong with that call?

OzSome
07-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Rob Maver the new kicker in Cowtown ... that's what Nik Lewis said... then later on he said ...
SANDRO who??

hahaha!! Classic Nik Lewis

flamingreen
07-10-2010, 02:03 PM
What?? Reynolds did what he needs to do by going down in the middle. What's wrong with that call?

He was talking about the 2nd last stamps drive when they were 2nd and 2.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 02:03 PM

That post was made way back before the last drive.

Bertuzzied
07-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Wow that was some vertical by Brandon Browner.

I think that Sandro might have gotten that kick with the wind behind him.

Too bad he cost the Ticats the game with his 2 earlier misses. hehehheehe

octothorp
07-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Great result. If the Stamps are to have a great season, they need to win a lot of games ugly like this. Key play of the game was that first and goal stand from the 2 stand that the Stamps had.

OzSome
07-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Well the Offensive Line bounced back in the 2nd half and so as the receivers. Not many mistakes either. It was a good win for the Stamps. As we all remember Stamps usually lose the game in Hamilton no matter how good or crappy the Ticats are.

I thought DB Brandon Smith did a good job playing against Aralnd Bruce today. Most of Bruce's catches came against Dwight Anderson. Stamps defense played well overall and when it counts. Big stop on the 3rd down gamble at the end zone. That was awesome because if it wasn't for that, the Ticats would have win the game.

Nice ending for the game. Sandro hit the field goal with over a minute to go. Ticats ahead by 2. Then Calgary marched the ball to where the new kicker Rob Maver will be comfortable. In front of his family and friends Rob Maver made the field goal. What a feeling for that man. Calgary ahead by 1. Last few seconds in the game, Sandro attempt to kick the field goal long range. I believed it was Brandon Browner blocked the kick. What no 'too many men' penalty?? Ooops wait, that only happens to the Riders. :) hehehe!

Stamps is now 2-0 for the season. Next up is against Toronto Argonauts in TO.

Azure
07-10-2010, 02:35 PM
I'll watch the game but it's pretty well going to be a garenteed loss. First of all the Stampeders play horribly in Ivor Wynne regardless of how competitive the Ti-Cats are. Second of all it's only game two and every season since Hank has been back the offense performs like junk until the 4/5 game mark. It was garbage again against Toronto which would have been a loss against any other CFL team and I don't see it getting into gear in these two Ontario road games.

:)

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 03:47 PM
:)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It was a win by the narrowest margins and there are still issues with special teams and on offense however hard to complain about any sort of win in this stadium.:)

Hopefully they can remain focussed for the short week against a beatable Argos team that actually looked pretty good last night. Lemon looks like be could become a competent CFL QB. Special teams will have to be better.

Azure
07-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Its only game 2 though, and they won despite those problems, which I agree are an issue.

As time goes on they'll get better, and its a plus being 2-0 to start off the season. This will help the confidence of some of the players who have stepped up this year. Including a certain someone who kicked the winning field goal.

Bertuzzied
07-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Whenever Kevin Glen starts a game the other team is automatically the favorite.

red '00
07-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Did anyone else really enjoy watching DeAngelis struggle?? The guy really turned into a self-absorbed ass after his big game in the Grey Cup. Was kind of hoping Dales would give him another shiner before he left town. :D

As for all that stuff about leaving for Hamilton because it gave him the best chance to win another cup.... BS.... Stamps are better than the Cats, they just didn't want to pay out the ass for what was becoming a locker room cancer.

Flickered Flame
07-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Couple of comments on what I have seen through 2 games this season.

First of all, the Stamps seem to be a relatively conservative offence. Lots of Reynolds, which is great, and lots of short to middle range passes. That really increases the completion percentage for Hank. They haven't taken a lot of chances deep down the field. If the receivers wouldn't have dropped 4 or 5 balls today, Hank's percentage could have been around 75% instead of the 65% that it was at today.

The defence is much better than what I thought it would be, they really haven't given up the big play. The run stopping was excellent today, I believe they held the Cats to less than 50 yards on the ground. I know that Cobb had less than 40. Hopefully they can keep playing well.

Special teams is my biggest concern. The field goal unit is fine and Maver is going to make everyone forget about Sandro in a hurry. The punt coverage team is brutal.

Sandro's missed field goal in the 3rd q today was the difference in the game. If he hits that kick the Cats go up 22-13 but instead Murphy returned the missed FG all the way to the Hamilton 15 or so and the Stamps punched it in on the next play I think. That was a 10 point swing in a matter of seconds.

The Stamps have a very good chance to be 3-0 after next Wednesday's game vs the Argos.

I wanted to add that the coaches deserve a lot of credit in this win. Whatever adjustments they made at the half to the o-line was awesome. The latter half of the 2nd q Burris was under all kinds of trouble but he wasn't pressured very much in the 2nd half.

arloiginla
07-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Stamps team looks similar to the teams of the last few years. Starts the season off slowly and has all sorts of problems with red zone efficiency and special teams.

All that being said, this is a game that the Stamps of the last few years would have lost. You have to win ugly sometimes.

Anyways they are 2-0 but have a lot of work to do still as they could just as easily be 0-2. Still though great character win - it is worth them blowing my proline ticket to see them pull this one out.

Erick Estrada
07-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Whenever Kevin Glen starts a game the other team is automatically the favorite.

To me Kevin Glenn is a lot like Buck Pierce. At times can look really good but really not good enough to win the big games.

browna
07-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Again, this is the CFL. 16 more games, and even then with a .500 record after that, you're still likley in the playoffs...from there win 2 and you're in the Grey Cup.
Plenty of football left...they're going to lose some where they look like crap, lose the odd one where they're the better team, and win a lot of games both looking good and looking average...but average is a relative term in the CFL.

Azure
07-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Again, this is the CFL. 16 more games, and even then with a .500 record after that, you're still likley in the playoffs...from there win 2 and you're in the Grey Cup.
Plenty of football left...they're going to lose some where they look like crap, lose the odd one where they're the better team, and win a lot of games both looking good and looking average...but average is a relative term in the CFL.

True.

But better to be slightly above average and miss the quarter final game. Winning the first 2 games, when you possibly could have lost at least one for sure is good, and may make the difference at the end of the season between a berth in the semi-finals or not.