PDA

View Full Version : Sabres in Sweden

looooob
06-15-2010, 10:29 AM
hmm well turned out the GMs hotel did not have free internet, bit of a bummer there and set us back a bit. oh well at least we have scouted some players for the draft

so sorry we'll try and get back to a few folks

still happy to discuss Giguere and our UFAS

otherwise draft day happens to be the GMs wife's birthday so likely looking to move a few of our picks, at least the later ones

hoping to reestablish contact in the UK where I'll be stuck in an aiport for the day tomorrow

looooob
06-17-2010, 06:02 PM
hmm well wasn't counting on that Swedish airline pilots strike , but I guess we are home now and have quite a bit of work to do in next 36 hours to prep for draft and solve some team issues. hopefully will get back to some folks tonight

Hanna Sniper
06-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Damn thats a depressing story
How do you say Happy Birthday in Swedish?

http://colt.pblogs.gr/files/f/148793-sweden%20girls.jpg

Yes I'm going to hell, but I'm ok with that :D

Swayze11
06-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Did you happen to find your MSN password while you were there?

looooob
06-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Damn thats a depressing story
How do you say Happy Birthday in Swedish?

http://colt.pblogs.gr/files/f/148793-sweden%20girls.jpg

Yes I'm going to hell, but I'm ok with that :D
hmm I didn't seem to have been moving in those circles while I was there

OILFAN #81
06-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Did you happen to find your MSN password while you were there?

Type it again/speak louder as he has trouble hearing you because his CPHL championship ring is clogged in his ear.

Swayze11
06-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Type it again/speak louder as he has trouble hearing you because his CPHL championship ring is clogged in his ear.

Funny how the two people defending him and making jokes are the next 2 people that don't know how to sign into MSN (Neil and Sandra)

Mango
06-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Funny how the two people defending him and making jokes are the next 2 people that don't know how to sign into MSN (Neil and Sandra)

No offense, but you certainly don't know what's going on in my life and what prevents me from being on MSN.

Slava
06-18-2010, 10:26 AM
^ I talk with Neil all the time when I'm on msn. I just asssume that Sandra is on there at times when I'm not and assume that we both have busy schedules that just never link up on there. That isn't limited to her situation either; there are a few gms that are on there at different times than I am.

On a bit of a tangent, the CPHL seems to be a little unfriendly lately. It seems like there are quite a few posts taking shots about the way trades have been handled, peoples time on msn,etc. I'm not talking about the actual assets traded (as in I like that side of the deal better); because I think that is good for the league and good discussion for all the gms to have feedback for future deals. I just mean in general things don't seem to be very friendly around here. Anyone with me on that thought or am I alone here?

Swayze11
06-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I am totally with you Slava. Most people know I am on MSN a lot simply because I work on a computer 8+ hours a day and have some time to talk trades. I understand people are super busy from work, family, activities, etc. I always voice my opinion on MSN activity any chance I can get to bring awareness to it. Everytime I bring it up I get attacked by the non-MSN users saying that PM works just as well - well it doesn't and its really frustrating.

When I became GM there were a lot of key points I needed to follow in order to stay in the CPHL, here is my understanding:
1. Must be active
2. Must always care about your team and strive to make it better
3. MSN was and as far as I understand IS a requirement

Please don't get me wrong Sandra, I have no right to know or even understand what you have going on in your life right now, I do understand people have things come up.

I like to think I have a good relationship with GMs that are never on MSN but its hard to know that when I can never talk to them.

I know all I am going to hear is PMs do work when making trades - yes your right, they do but they take forever and maybe I am just a VERY impatient person. Its frustrating sending a PM:
Me: heres my offer
you: heres my counter offer - 2 days later
me: how about this?
you: nah, how about this - 3 days later
me: heres a small tweak
you: nah I am not interested - 2 days later

can you see where I am going?

In terms of the less friendly comment - I dont think thats the case. In the CPHL there is a lot of sarcastic people (me being one of them) and its impossible to sense sarcasm over a forum post.

In conclusion I just find it interesting that there are rules in place to be an active GM or you will be removed from the league and maybe I am misunderstanding them but can we define what an "active GM" actually is? Is it someone that sends lines in on a regular basis? is it one that is looking to make their team better? is it all of the above?

Again, I know I am gonna get attacked from this post but just try and have an open mind here and look at it from my perspective. Please do not take this post the wrong way - I AM NOT trying to make a push to eliminate non-MSN using GMs by any means, I am just trying to bring awareness that it is pretty frustrating trading with the same GMs all the time over MSN.

OILFAN #81
06-18-2010, 11:14 AM

What the heck are you talking about? I have been on MSN everyday for the last month. I have talked to atleast 12-15 gm's atleast 5 times (New Jersey, Nashville, Anaheim, Montreal, etc) I've talked to you 3 times in that time too. You must have been drunk.

Maybe instead of worrying about people being on MSN, you should look at fixing your team so they aren't a bottom feeder! ;)

Knut
06-18-2010, 11:18 AM
^ burnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Swayze11
06-18-2010, 11:19 AM
What the heck are you talking about? I have been on MSN everyday for the last month. I have talked to atleast 12-15 gm's atleast 5 times (New Jersey, Nashville, Anaheim, Montreal, etc) I've talked to you 3 times in that time too. You must have been drunk.

Maybe instead of worrying about people being on MSN, you should look at fixing your team so they aren't a bottom feeder! ;)

I am trying, maybe if I had a guy like Datsyuk it would be a different story *hint* *hint* :D

Da_Chief
06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
I think you're doing a fine job Pat, you didn't walk into a great situation like some other GMs who are bragging about it.

As for as the msn issue, the league has evolved, it would be nice to see more GMs online and on certain nights, half the league has been on. But mostly other commitments don't allow it. But I'm sure everyone checks their email once a day? so if they can check that than they should be able to check their PMs and respond quickly. No way it should take 2-3 days to respond to a PM. My 2 and a half cents.

OILFAN #81
06-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I think you're doing a fine job Pat, you didn't walk into a great situation like some other GMs who are bragging about it.

As for as the msn issue, the league has evolved, it would be nice to see more GMs online and on certain nights, half the league has been on. But mostly other commitments don't allow it. But I'm sure everyone checks their email once a day? so if they can check that than they should be able to check their PMs and respond quickly. No way it should take 2-3 days to respond to a PM. My 2 and a half cents.

Who is doing that?

Slava
06-18-2010, 11:32 AM
More importantly can someone take my draft list and select my 4 picks for me? I would love to do this myself, but can't be around for the draft. Can someone help a brother out here?

OILFAN #81
06-18-2010, 11:32 AM
More importantly can someone take my draft list and select my 4 picks for me? I would love to do this myself, but can't be around for the draft. Can someone help a brother out here?

Ditto. Florida already said they could do mine but Grant asked if possible if someone else can do it. If they can great, if not it will still be Caged Great!

Prototype
06-18-2010, 11:33 AM
I just wanted to post in this thread. That is all.

MJK
06-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Hey Pat, you sound a LOT like the 2007ish MJK. I got myself fired over comments I made back then. If you want a real hoot, just search The Jerk. :) (although that was not all me).

However, I have come to accept the fact that the CPHL is a different game now. It does get frustrating sometimes when you are trying to deal with someone who does not use MSN but there isn't much that can be done.

My advice is to take everything is stride and go with the flow. Having all GM's on msn everyday is just not going to happen.

Da_Chief
06-18-2010, 12:29 PM
I like coming to this thread, thanks Hanna.

Caged Great
06-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Ditto. Florida already said they could do mine but Grant asked if possible if someone else can do it. If they can great, if not it will still be Caged Great!

If you can't find anyone Slava by this evening, just email it to me.

Hanna Sniper
06-18-2010, 02:56 PM
I like coming to this thread, thanks Hanna.I have to say, I was going for a much sleazier direction but all of a sudden someones mom came in

:whistle:

JiriHrdina
06-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Geez this thread took a nasty turn.

My comments:

If you are a GM don't worry about how often others are on MSN. It's not your concern to be blunt. MSN is a requirement particularly for new GMs. We are a lot more forgiving for some of our long-standing GMs who have demonstrated an ability to still be positive members of the league even if they aren't on MSN. If we require hours of MSN time to be logged than we will lose GMs all the time. Many of us can't get on MSN at work and have busy lives.

We are happy with our group of GMs which means the issue pretty much ends there. If you find it frustrating to try and make a deal with a certain GM - don't deal with them. You have 28 others to choose from.

As for the draft lists - I'm fine with people picking someone else to make their picks as long as you are also OK with getting bumped if that person gets confused or delays the picks. Again - I appreciate people are busy but for those of us setting aside 4-5 hours on Saturday our time needs to be respected. I won't tolerate delays this year particularly since I also work on Saturday - so the thing has to move along.

So that might mean your pick ends up getting bumped to the end of a round if the person picking for you has too much on their plate.

JiriHrdina
06-18-2010, 03:24 PM
In conclusion I just find it interesting that there are rules in place to be an active GM or you will be removed from the league and maybe I am misunderstanding them but can we define what an "active GM" actually is? Is it someone that sends lines in on a regular basis? is it one that is looking to make their team better? is it all of the above? .

It's a bit of everything - lines, MSN time, trading, posting.

In short though - it's not your place to worry about it.