PDA

View Full Version : Thierry Henry to sign with New York Red Bulls..??

Nuje
05-14-2010, 09:29 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/05/14/1924666/barcelonas-thierry-henry-has-signed-pre-contract-with-mls

Jesse834
05-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Who?

Lego Man
05-14-2010, 11:09 PM
How old is he?

Nuje
05-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Who?

The New York Red Bulls. They play in the MLS. :p

browna
05-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Who?

You realize you don't have to post something in every thread, whether you understand the content or not...

Interesting...obviously NY wants that marquis name ever since LA got theirs...with Beckham done probably for the next year in MLS, if not for good, the MLS may have an agreement, just like Beckham's contract (IIRC) to be on the hook for part of Henry's salary/bonus for jumping ship and playing in the league.

Wonder how all the Irish fans in NYC will feel cheering for him?

Matty81
05-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Awesome player but barring an amazing world cup winning goal or something, outside France and north london his defining moment will always be the double handball cheat. Still can't believe he did that and even more so that he got away with it.

I think MLS really needs to get away from the designated player concept in the long run. Use that money to bring the whole cap up and the overall level of play in the league instead of paying someone like Beckham millions while his competitors make 50k a year which is ridiculous. It doesn't make the league better and I think it's questionable as to whether or not it actually attracts permanent fans.

That said with the new stadium opening there a marquee signing for NYRB makes sense at this point under the current rules.

Addick
05-15-2010, 03:54 AM
I think MLS really needs to get away from the designated player concept in the long run. Use that money to bring the whole cap up and the overall level of play in the league instead of paying someone like Beckham millions while his competitors make 50k a year which is ridiculous. It doesn't make the league better and I think it's questionable as to whether or not it actually attracts permanent fans.

While I'm not supportive of the general concept of the MLS, I have to give them credit for the steady progress they have been making in the direction they have chosen to travel. I believe that one of the reasons for this success has been the slow and steady approach. However, with the marquee players and more rapid expansion I'm starting to actually worry about the league; it is starting to look more like the NASL than MLS. While they need to capitalize on the excitement and buzz some of their success has generated, it shouldn't be at the expense of long-term success.

3 Justin 3
05-15-2010, 04:42 AM
I am semi-unaware of the MLS. Outside Toronto, are there any other Canadian teams? Wasn't Vancouver and/or Montreal supposed to get one (or do they have one already?)

Antithesis
05-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Vancouver has an expansion franchise joining next season, Montreal the year after.

I also disagree with this idea of a designated player, from what I've read MLS should almost be past the point of needing "old guys" to get fans to the games, unless I'm misunderstanding the point of the rule.

ricoFlame
05-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Vancouver has an expansion franchise joining next season, Montreal the year after.

I also disagree with this idea of a designated player, from what I've read MLS should almost be past the point of needing "old guys" to get fans to the games, unless I'm misunderstanding the point of the rule.

I think that there is great vaule in the number of "henry", "ljundberg", or "beckham" merchandise that an MLS franchise can sell, to go along with the level of play/experience and whatnot.

Nuje
05-15-2010, 10:35 AM
If anything, it proves to all the Canadians angry about Owen Hargreaves, that adding one player to a team doesn't make them instantly a ton better, no matter the level of said player.

cheevers
05-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Awesome player but barring an amazing world cup winning goal or something, outside France and north london his defining moment will always be the double handball cheat. Still can't believe he did that and even more so that he got away with it.

Im pretty sure outside of North America he is quite well known for the being the amazing player he is.

And Im an Ireland fan and I can't believe people actaully whine about Henry, if an Irish player had the same oppurtunity he would have done the exact same thing, let alone any player in the world. Its not cheating, its a ball hitting you on the hand and continuing to play, its smart.

To call the guy a cheat is completely ridiculous.

d_phaneuf
05-15-2010, 12:58 PM
hes a cheat, the ball didn't just hit his hand he hit the ball with his hand. But realistically he's also not a very good player anymore (by European standards). He hasn't even been a sub for Barca for most of the last 4 or 5 months

and many french people are dreading him being the striker for the French team this summer when they have far better options

that being said he will become the best player in the MLS by a large margin

Finny61
05-15-2010, 03:13 PM
'Hand of Gaul' isn't that the term for it? I have tried watching MLS but it just looks so second rate to me I'd sooner watch Coca Cola League 2 matches, there is never enough time to watch all the soccer you want in Europe so I don't bother with MLS. Best of luck to Henry if he goes.

valo403
05-17-2010, 09:57 AM
While I'm not supportive of the general concept of the MLS, I have to give them credit for the steady progress they have been making in the direction they have chosen to travel. I believe that one of the reasons for this success has been the slow and steady approach. However, with the marquee players and more rapid expansion I'm starting to actually worry about the league; it is starting to look more like the NASL than MLS. While they need to capitalize on the excitement and buzz some of their success has generated, it shouldn't be at the expense of long-term success.

It can be argued that the presence of marquee players has been instrumental to the long term prospects of the league. Increased revenues and exposure, especially increased TV coverage, have likely built a base that wouldn't be there without the marquee names. It's not wise to rely upon the marquee names to sell the game over the long term, but as long as the goal is soldifying the foundations of the league and not raking in short term gains I don't have a problem with it.

Locke
05-18-2010, 09:59 AM
hes a cheat, the ball didn't just hit his hand he hit the ball with his hand. But realistically he's also not a very good player anymore (by European standards). He hasn't even been a sub for Barca for most of the last 4 or 5 months

and many french people are dreading him being the striker for the French team this summer when they have far better options

that being said he will become the best player in the MLS by a large margin

Quite honestly, some of the best players in the world wouldnt even be Subs for Barca.

The best example is Cesc Fabregas, if he leaves Arsenal for Barca he'll be going from first team regular and Captain to third string benchwarmer/depth player.

Thats how big the talent Gulf is between Barca and other teams.

As for MLS, I think there is a lot of value in the marquee player exemption, but its gotta be the right player, look at Ljunburg for example, he was cutting through his opposition like a hot knife through butter, thats just talent and training coming through. But he has to help make his whole team better in training and the attitude has to be good because you know that the pay-scale differential is going to be a sore spot on many teams.

d_phaneuf
05-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Quite honestly, some of the best players in the world wouldnt even be Subs for Barca.

The best example is Cesc Fabregas, if he leaves Arsenal for Barca he'll be going from first team regular and Captain to third string benchwarmer/depth player.

Thats how big the talent Gulf is between Barca and other teams.

As for MLS, I think there is a lot of value in the marquee player exemption, but its gotta be the right player, look at Ljunburg for example, he was cutting through his opposition like a hot knife through butter, thats just talent and training coming through. But he has to help make his whole team better in training and the attitude has to be good because you know that the pay-scale differential is going to be a sore spot on many teams.

Cesc would start for Barca

and ya they have a great bench but my point was that Henry doesn't have it anymore, he was 1st choice for his entire career including his time at Barca. He just doesn't have the pace anymore, which isn't a big problem in the MLS because no one really does

Locke
05-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Cesc would start for Barca

and ya they have a great bench but my point was that Henry doesn't have it anymore, he was 1st choice for his entire career including his time at Barca. He just doesn't have the pace anymore, which isn't a big problem in the MLS because no one really does

No he wouldnt.

Which of Xavi or Iniesta, who play the same position, is he going to displace? Same reason he doesnt start for Spain.

I agree about Henry though, he'll be alright in MLS, hes still a cut above.

d_phaneuf
05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
No he wouldnt.

Which of Xavi or Iniesta, who play the same position, is he going to displace? Same reason he doesnt start for Spain.

Yes he would

Barca play with 3 midfielders

for a large part of the season Iniesta has played where Henry used to play as a LF and the Midfield was Xavi and 2 of Toure, Busquets or Keita

Cesc would replace one of Toure, Busquets or Keita