PDA

View Full Version : Stamps: Raiders of the CFL

CaramonLS
08-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Stop taking such stupid penalties!!! Defensive facemask when sask is in the redzone?

Stupid stupid stupid.

Not to mention all the other "brilliant" penalties.

I_H8_Crawford
08-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Oh God don't get me started.
Let's rough the Qb and give them a 1st down which leads to a TD
Then let's rough the kicker and let them drive down to the redzone; get a stop, then pull of a brilliant pass interference penalty!

If we play like this against BC next week, the beating Hamilton was given will look like a close game compared to the beating we will take. Anyone up for seeing a 100 point night by one team??? :angry:

JBR
08-14-2004, 09:33 PM
11 penalties in the first half. Stupid, stupid, stupid

monty_
08-14-2004, 10:07 PM
great, we gain a LITTLE momentum in the third and right after we get possession from a turnover, jones fumbles on the first play and riders recover...WOW.

29-9 now..

any chance we'll see crandell tonight?

greerb
08-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Stamps need a QB and Defence. Could Crandell have been any worse? And why did the Stamps get rid of Moore?

As far as the Riders go the was a classless move by showboating that binal TD, 3rd down, backup QB. Horrible. I may be from Saskatchewan but the Riders make me sick. Can't wait till they play my Als, again. On Saturady October 2nd, I'll go to Taylor field wearing my Stamps hat, wearing a Als shirt and waiving an Als flag.

CaptainCrunch
08-14-2004, 11:18 PM
The Rider's and Danny Barrett and Roy Shiver's have now cemented thier reputation as one of the most classless teams in the league.

Running up the score like that will only hopefully kick them in the butt this year.

I'll be cheering against them for the rest of the year. They're a mediocre team and they're going to be exposed

The Stamps played like garbage, the refs in the CFL don't know the rules.

Nate Davis is a punk plain and simple. His late hit on Jones is the proof on that.

I''ll drink to any team that tears Burris' head clean off.

The only thing thats positive was Dunnigan refusing to shake Barrett's hand.

I thought Barrett had class when he played here.

Too bad I was wrong.

Die RoughRider's die.

Rejean31
08-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Captain Crunch, you forgot to mention what a showboating jack*** Kenton Keith is. That guy ha zero class. And why did the zebras fail to call the Roughriders for roughing the passer on the play when Jones was hurt? The ball was clearly out of his hands. Terrible game by the Stamps but the officials were wearing Rider green tonight. And if I have to listen to one more game called by Rod (I hate the Stampeders) Black, I swear I will puke.

CaptainCrunch
08-14-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Rejean31@Aug 15 2004, 05:48 AM
Captain Crunch, you forgot to mention what a showboating jack*** Kenton Keith is. That guy ha zero class. And why did the zebras fail to call the Roughriders for roughing the passer on the play when Jones was hurt? The ball was clearly out of his hands. Terrible gmae by the Stamps but the officials were wearing Rider green tonight. And if I have to listen to one more game called by Rod (I hate the Stampeders) Black, I swear I will puke.
A lot of missed calls tonight on the riders. A face mask on a tackle. The late hit on Jones. The Rider who took his helmet off on the field when he picked the ball off.

Roy Shiver's is as classless as they come.

Like I said, I would shed no tears if Davis or Keith went down with season ending injuries.

As terrible as it sounds. The Rider's are in Edmonton next week and its the only time I'm ever going to cheer for the Eskimos.

Our season is pretty much over, Jones looks like he's done for a while, and Souza is even greener. There's no way Crandall see's the field again.

Rod Black is the worst commentator and football history, and Glen Suitor must have had about 20 orgasms tonight as the Roughies were running things up

Bahhhh, I'm p*ssed

monty_
08-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Glen Suitor must have had about 20 orgasms tonight as the Roughies were running things up

that's exactly what i was thinking! he was drooling over kenton keith all night! keith made a move around our safety and ran in for a 3 yard TD, suitor was describing it as "amazing", "outstanding" and "as good as it gets", i thought he was going to climax.

he also replayed the clip over and over all night!

stamps played horrible, but the riders make me sick. talk about rubbing salt in the wound, they recover their own punt and the third string QB throws for a touchdown...ughh

AvengeR
08-15-2004, 02:12 AM
That was totally classless. First it was Nate Davis and Roy Shivers saying they were going to win big before the game. Then the cocky arrogant Keith showboating 5 yards from the endzone. Then the short kickoff, and then gambling on 3rd down inside the 10 yard line. Too bad the teams didn't share the same sideline as they do at Molson Stadium, there would have been a brawl for sure.

It was funny listening to the 5th quarter callin show and hearing a Rider fan justify the short kickoff saying that they were trying to shield themselves from a big McGarity kickoff return.

I hate the Eskire, but next week I also hope that the Eskies shred them to pieces and runs up the score as well.

pope04
08-15-2004, 09:39 AM
After all those years of considering the Riders my second-favorite team, I now officially hate them. Flippin' Shivers and his cocky attitude. Danny Barrett and running up the score with a three-touchdown lead and the game in the bank. Keith and his theatrics on a three-yard TD run. Listening to QR after the game, Mark Stephen and Greg Pederson figure that Shivers and Barrett consider Dunigan to be over his head and not worthy of the position(s) he has here in Calgary. They went so far as to say that Barrett and Shivers covet Dunigans jobs and want to be here and not in Regina. I mean, who the ^&$^& wants to live in Regina? I will boycott the Stamps if Shivers and Barrett ever turn up here. I mean it. Bootfu****g a team when they are out of it will follow the Riders around for years. I have followed the CFL for over 25 years, and I don't ever recall seeing a team go for a short kickoff late in a game with a three-touchdown lead. Not to mention gambling on third down. Bloody disgusting. Even Winnipeg, with their good teams a couple years ago, didn't do crap like that, and I consider them to be a VERY classless team. EDMONTON didn't to bush-league BS like that in their heyday. This pains me, but I will now root for Edmonton over Saskatchewan.

Bench Warmer
08-15-2004, 09:44 AM
What short memories we all have here. It wasn't too long ago when the Stamps would consistently run up the score against the Riders. On many occassions during the Buono era the Stamps use to have their way with the Riders with Flutie-Garcia-Dickensen and 'ran up the score' so to speak.

As for a couple of the posts. On the final drive with Butler in, if the Stamps can't stop to QB draws - the exact same play back to back on 2nd and 3rd down - then that's their fault. Look to the Stamps defensive coordinator on that on. Also, on the alleged short kick, the wind had picked up by that time quite significantly at Taylor Field and the ball hung in the air for unusually long time. What kind of short kick lands at the opposing team's 40?

More food for thought - do you think the Riders may have gone for it a little harder considering all the cheap $%^& Calgary was pulling late during the game? I know that won't be a popular comment here but Calgary took stupid penalties throughout the game and got flagged for some dirty ones as the game grew on. And don't come back with Davis' hit was late...bull$%^&. He hit him clean - if not, he would've been flagged.

Whatever...I know everyone is mad cuz the Stamps lost but this isn't something the Stamps haven't done before.

pope04
08-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Bench Warmer@Aug 15 2004, 03:44 PM
What short memories we all have here. It wasn't too long ago when the Stamps would consistently run up the score against the Riders. .
Did Calgary ever go for a short kickoff late in a game with a three-touchdown lead? Did they gamble on third down with a three-touchdown lead? I suggest the Stamps "ran up the score" as you so eloquently put it simply because the 'Riders were perenial losers, and still are.

Bench Warmer
08-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by pope04+Aug 15 2004, 04:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pope04 @ Aug 15 2004, 04:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bench Warmer@Aug 15 2004, 03:44 PM
What short memories we all have here.# It wasn't too long ago when the Stamps would consistently run up the score against the Riders. .
Did Calgary ever go for a short kickoff late in a game with a three-touchdown lead? Did they gamble on third down with a three-touchdown lead? I suggest the Stamps "ran up the score" as you so eloquently put it simply because the 'Riders were perenial losers, and still are. [/b][/quote]
They sure did. A game I remember vividly is about 6 years ago at TF when the Stamps were up 38-16 and decided they needed to score 2 TDs in the final 3 minutes of the game to make it 52-16 at the end. But you know what - football is 60 minute game and the Riders closed shop early that night and deserved to get their a$$e$ kicked. Calgary gave up in the 4th quarter last night and got what was coming to them.

pope04
08-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Bench Warmer+Aug 15 2004, 04:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bench Warmer @ Aug 15 2004, 04:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by pope04@Aug 15 2004, 04:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Bench Warmer@Aug 15 2004, 03:44 PM
What short memories we all have here.# It wasn't too long ago when the Stamps would consistently run up the score against the Riders. .
Did Calgary ever go for a short kickoff late in a game with a three-touchdown lead? Did they gamble on third down with a three-touchdown lead? I suggest the Stamps "ran up the score" as you so eloquently put it simply because the 'Riders were perenial losers, and still are.
They sure did. A game I remember vividly is about 6 years ago at TF when the Stamps were up 38-16 and decided they needed to score 2 TDs in the final 3 minutes of the game to make it 52-16 at the end. But you know what - football is 60 minute game and the Riders closed shop early that night and deserved to get their a$$e$ kicked. Calgary gave up in the 4th quarter last night and got what was coming to them. [/b][/quote]
They didn't go for a short kickoff or gamble on third down, did they? Please answer the pertinent questions.

JayP
08-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Bench Warmer+Aug 15 2004, 04:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bench Warmer @ Aug 15 2004, 04:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by pope04@Aug 15 2004, 04:00 PM
They sure did. A game I remember vividly is about 6 years ago at TF when the Stamps were up 38-16 and decided they needed to score 2 TDs in the final 3 minutes of the game to make it 52-16 at the end. But you know what - football is 60 minute game and the Riders closed shop early that night and deserved to get their a$$e$ kicked. Calgary gave up in the 4th quarter last night and got what was coming to them. [/b][/quote]
You didn't answer the question. I don't recall Calgary ever going for onside kicks and 3rd & long conversions when they were up by 20+ points.

Regarding the games, the refs were definitely wearing Rider green tonight. I mean, how many 15-yard facemasks did we have that should have been 5 yarders? Three? Then when McGarity gets blatantly taken down with a 15 yarder they throw the Riders a 5 yard penalty. And then of course the illegal contact penalty on White. The one that TSN mysteriously decided to not show a single replay of. Which, in the CFL, translates to phantom call. I also liked how Keith was allowed to catch a 10.5 yard 1st down pass and start to pose and taunt in front of the Calgary bench (right in front of the ref no less). Apparently that's not a penalty.

Tommy Jones was worse than I've ever seen Crandell play. He was missing open targets all night and his hand-offs were absolutely brutal (giving away the run way too early and killing any running attack). He had some nice runs and showed off some good toughness, but he's got to make those throws to open recievers. Too many times we were in the redzone and lost guaranteed 1st downs with a poorly thrown ball.

I left the room as soon as the game was done, but can someone describe what happened with Barrett and Dunnigan? Did Barrett extend his hand and Dunnigan just walk by or what?

JBR
08-15-2004, 10:39 AM
The Stamps are not the Raiders of the CFL..... They are the Cardinals of the CFL, pathetic.

I_H8_Crawford
08-15-2004, 11:00 AM
What short memories we all have here. It wasn't too long ago when the Stamps would consistently run up the score against the Riders. .
So how were those two final TDs scored??? Was it on a 3rd down gamble? A long bomb? I can guarantee that you wouildn't have seen Wally's Stamps gambling on 3rd down when they were up by a bunch in the fourth.

Boo-hoo, 7 years ago the Stamps layed down an ass-kicking on the Riders, so that justifies blatantly running up the score now... I'd get a violin, but seeing as you're a Riders fan, I think a banjo would be more appropriate somehow.... :lol:

Calgary Flames
08-15-2004, 11:37 AM
All I have to say is that I loved the glare at the end of the game Dunnigan gave Barrett. It could burn a hole through someone.

CaptainCrunch
08-15-2004, 11:47 AM
What short memories we all have here. It wasn't too long ago when the Stamps would consistently run up the score against the Riders. On many occassions during the Buono era the Stamps use to have their way with the Riders with Flutie-Garcia-Dickensen and 'ran up the score' so to speak.

A onside kick and a third and 5 gamble when the game is out of reach constitutes running the score up. You never saw Bouno doing that kind of stuff. The season series was won two games to one by the Rider's total points no longer mattered. This was just Barrett showing Shiver's how tough he was. This was Barrett trying to show Dunnigan up.

As for a couple of the posts. On the final drive with Butler in, if the Stamps can't stop to QB draws - the exact same play back to back on 2nd and 3rd down - then that's their fault. Look to the Stamps defensive coordinator on that on. Also, on the alleged short kick, the wind had picked up by that time quite significantly at Taylor Field and the ball hung in the air for unusually long time. What kind of short kick lands at the opposing team's 40?

I call bull, look at the formation that the Rider's used on the short Kick, look where the majority of the players went. Don't give me a it was a wind issue stuff, if MaCallum the fat farmer can only kick 15 yards into a strong wing then he shouldn't be in any pro league. You are right about the Stamps stoping Butler on the third and 5, but I have to tell you, if I had to listen to the Rider's trash talk all week long and at the game, if I had just watched Nate Davis's late hit onm my QB, well when Butler stood up I would have torn his head clean up and taken the 1 game suspension. The Rider's are not innocent of the cheap shots here. They're such a pathetic franchise, yet they have Davis and Schultz and Barrett acting like they're the superbowl champs, and it all comes from Roy Shiver's, for christ sakes at least get a GM that looks like a professional on the side lones. Doesn't he know that a 50 year old man dressing ghetto not only looks stupid bit makes the CFL look completely bush league.

More food for thought - do you think the Riders may have gone for it a little harder considering all the cheap $%^& Calgary was pulling late during the game? I know that won't be a popular comment here but Calgary took stupid penalties throughout the game and got flagged for some dirty ones as the game grew on. And don't come back with Davis' hit was late...bull$%^&. He hit him clean - if not, he would've been flagged.

Davis hit Jones well after the ball was thrown and made sure that he threw his weight on to the prone QB, This is the same guy that was bragging before the game, this is the same guy thats been find for taunting, this is the same guy that takes cheapshots wherever he can.

I love how you talk about cheapshots by Calgary as a one way street, not only are the Rider's one of the cheaper teams in the CFL, but they lead the league in trashtalk, again that comes directly from Shiver's. Shut the hell up and play football, don't taunt people and don't rub it in, act lilke you've scored before. I'm willing to bet that if the Stamps had run up the score on the Rider's you and a thousand people on Ridersfan.com would be complaining and moaning.

The Rider's are schoolyard bullies, all tough and brave against the weaker teams in the CFL, running up the score and acting like fools, but when they get on the field with teams like Montreal and Toronto, and Edmonton the only thing that they can do is wet the bed.

Whatever...I know everyone is mad cuz the Stamps lost but this isn't something the Stamps haven't done before.

Again when have the Stamps ever onside kicked or done a third and five gamblewith the game out of reach. Answer never, its bush league crap like the Rider's that makes the CFL look sandlot.

CaptainCrunch
08-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by SuperNilson@Aug 15 2004, 05:37 PM
All I have to say is that I loved the glare at the end of the game Dunnigan gave Barrett. It could burn a hole through someone.
It was the look of a future Hall of Fame great QB with a reputation in the league to a useless piece of garbage second rate QB who was once made into a wide receiver cause he was so useless, and would have been fired by any GM not named Roy Shivers a long tine ago punk.

I have total confidence that when the Stamps are good next year and the Rider fans are promising us another in a long line of phantom Grey Cups that Dunnigan is going to make Shiver's and co pay.

AvengeR
08-15-2004, 12:11 PM
I agree totally CaptainCrunch. There was no strong wind, gimme a break. The Riders tried that same kick to start the game, but couldn't recover it. As for the 3rd down gamble, that is blatantly running up the score. All they had to do was kick a field goal. Kicking a field goal on 3rd down when you are in fielf goal range isn't considered running up the score.

Then there was Kenton Keith i think, who kicked Lewis when he was on the ground after that short kick. And Lewis is the guy who gets tossed.

I thought Barrett had class, but I guess living in that hellhole changes you. I remember Pinball and the Argos doing the exact same thing last year at McMahon. They gambled on 3rd down inside the 10 with seconds left and the games way out of reach. I guess these teams have held grudges since the Flutie/ Garcia days. In those days the Stamps won most games by 30 points, but they didn't run up the score.

I hope when the shoe is on the other foot, the Stamps do the same to them and go the the TD with seconds left, then go for a 2point conversion as well. That won't happen though, cause Dunnigan has CLASS.

pope04
08-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Bench Warmer@Aug 15 2004, 03:44 PM
...on the alleged short kick, the wind had picked up by that time quite significantly at Taylor Field and the ball hung in the air for unusually long time. What kind of short kick lands at the opposing team's 40?

Sorry, you sound like those brainless Canuck fans that make excuses for Bertuzzi.

AvengeR
08-15-2004, 01:14 PM
I guess that 40Km/hr wind just showed up for that kickoff and then disappeared.

Bench Warmer
08-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Well - we'll never agree on this things. I'm looking at one way, you guys see it another. I remember Buono running up the score (maybe not with 3rd downs but is a long bomb to Pitts/Sapunjis/Moore necessary when you're up 30?) against the Riders/ And call me brainless Canuck fan and whatever...you're mad and as Rider fan for many years I can totally understand where you're coming from...trust me on that one.

A couple things I will say about the Stamps though from watching them as an opposing fan.

1 - They need to establish a running game. They are too one dimensional right now and that has to change if they want to be succesful. I know it's a passing league but you need a run threat to have a succesful passing game.

2 - Penalties. Whether they were justified or not in your eyes, they need to stop taking stupid and untimely penalties. They continued a few Rider drives last night on penalties. I saw Joe Fleming screaming at the Stamps bench from the field after that big scrum in the 4th and I wondered if this was what he was yelling at the Stamps for.

3 - Time. This is the first year for Matt Dunigan and a lot of players as starters. The first year of the Barrett-Shivers regime was painful too but I think they've developed one of the best D's in the league and pretty good offense (receivers need to improve though). Dunigan just needs some time to have his players and schemes develop. Dunigan will improve and learn some harsh lessons too. I know Danny has.

I apologize - I didn't post in this thread to start a war (although should've expected it). I just wanted to give the other side of things - being from Regina, I am fanatic over the Riders like you guys would be over the Flames so don't appreciate some of the comments made towards the Riders as I'm sure you didn't appreciate mine made towards the Stamps.

Bench Warmer
08-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by AvengeR@Aug 15 2004, 07:14 PM
I guess that 40Km/hr wind just showed up for that kickoff and then disappeared.
The wind was strong once the rain started about halfway through the 4th quarter.

AvengeR
08-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Hey BenchWarmer, if you don't appreciate the comments towards to Riders, then go to Riderpride.com so you can be with fellow Rider fans and talk trash about other teams. Why are you even here at a Calgary board?

Bench Warmer
08-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by AvengeR@Aug 15 2004, 07:47 PM
Hey BenchWarmer, if you don't appreciate the comments towards to Riders, then go to Riderpride.com so you can be with fellow Rider fans and talk trash about other teams. Why are you even here at a Calgary board?
I am over there - much more than here. Sorry, if you can't take a view other than the Stamps...I'll throw no more fuel on the fire.

I'm on this board because I have a relative playing in the Flames org and the hockey discussions here are 'local' and better than most other I've found.

AvengeR
08-15-2004, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry you can't take a view other than that of the Riders. You are hear on a Stamps forum complaining that you don't like the things being said about your Riders. What do you expect? Am I gonna get much sympathy if I were a Argos fan complaining on a Renagades forum that I don't like the comments made toward to Argos?

I know that there won't be anything good said about the Stamps at the Riders forum, that's why I don't go there.

Resolute 14
08-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Actually, I am sure the Rider fans are congratulating us on scoring 16 against the sure-thing Grey Cup Champs.

I wonder if Regina has a paved road they can hold their parade on?

AvengeR
08-15-2004, 05:06 PM
No, since everyone in Sask. can't get out of there quick enough, they will hold thier grey cup parade in Calgary.

pope04
08-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Bench Warmer@Aug 15 2004, 07:32 PM
I remember Buono running up the score (maybe not with 3rd downs but is a long bomb to Pitts/Sapunjis/Moore necessary when you're up 30?) against the Riders/
Big difference between hitting for a TD when you are up big and going for an onside kick when you are up big (plus gambling on third and five). If you want a hockey analogy, it's like pulling your goalie when you are up by four with two minutes left in the game. Garbage, bush-league crap.

I_H8_Crawford
08-15-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by pope04+Aug 16 2004, 02:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pope04 @ Aug 16 2004, 02:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bench Warmer@Aug 15 2004, 07:32 PM
I remember Buono running up the score (maybe not with 3rd downs but is a long bomb to Pitts/Sapunjis/Moore necessary when you're up 30?) against the Riders/
Big difference between hitting for a TD when you are up big and going for an onside kick when you are up big (plus gambling on third and five). If you want a hockey analogy, it's like pulling your goalie when you are up by four with two minutes left in the game. Garbage, bush-league crap. [/b][/quote]
Or showboating by pulling up sharp and snapping a wrister into an empty net... but no one does that in the NHL, now do they? :ph34r: :D

pope04
08-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by I_H8_Crawford+Aug 16 2004, 02:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I_H8_Crawford @ Aug 16 2004, 02:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by pope04@Aug 16 2004, 02:10 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Bench Warmer@Aug 15 2004, 07:32 PM
Big difference between hitting for a TD when you are up big and going for an onside kick when you are up big (plus gambling on third and five). If you want a hockey analogy, it's like pulling your goalie when you are up by four with two minutes left in the game. Garbage, bush-league crap.
Or showboating by pulling up sharp and snapping a wrister into an empty net... but no one does that in the NHL, now do they? :ph34r: :D [/b][/quote]
Just like we'll always remember Korolyuk, we won't forget the audacity of the 'Riders on Saturday night.

AvengeR
08-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Or how about holding the ball way out while you are still 5 yards from the endzone. That shouldn't been a taunting penalty.

oilboy2
08-16-2004, 12:21 PM
As a rabid eskie fan who hates anything calgary by nature that crap that Saskatchewan pulled is disgustng. Roy shivers and danny barett couldnt find class if it hit them in the face. I hope that the eskies can deliver stamps fans a gift next week in the form of an absolute thrashing of canadas classles team.

Otto-matic
08-16-2004, 12:37 PM
CFL draft announcer: "The Saskatchewan Roughriders are up next. They only scored three Rouges all last year

Found that on a simpsons quote page dont know if its real or not

calculoso
08-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by AvengeR@Aug 15 2004, 01:47 PM
I don't get this line of thinking...

"This is our board and only for us!"

Sure makes things dull if that's the attitude you're going to have. :blink:

Sure Sask. did things that were questionable, but that doesn't mean that their fans aren't welcome.

My thoughts.

ken0042
08-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Otto-matic@Aug 16 2004, 12:37 PM
CFL draft announcer: "The Saskatchewan Roughriders are up next. They only scored three Rouges all last year

Found that on a simpsons quote page dont know if its real or not
Yeah, it was an episode of the Simpsons. Homer was compaining about there being nothing on TV and it flipped to show "live coverage of the CFL draft."

One of the writers is from Winnipeg, so some of the Canadianisms come from him. (Especially the one where Bart et al rent the car, and Nelson smacks the father in the car beside them. Before Nelson smacks him the father says "settle down in the back seat or else I turn this car around and there'll be no Disneyland for anybody!" After Nelson smack him he says "That's it! Back to Winnipeg!")

And of course Global Winnipeg never uses that clip to advertise the Simpsons.

AvengeR
08-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by calculoso@Aug 16 2004, 06:57 PM
Sure Sask. did things that were questionable, but that doesn't mean that their fans aren't welcome.

I am not saying that their fans are not welcomed here. All I am saying is that this is a Stamps forum, so don't come here and bitch about comments made towards to Riders. If I went to the Riders forum and complained that I don't appreciate the comments made towards the Stamps, would they give a hoot about my feelings? No, cause that is their territory and they can bash any time they want.

Ilikethissite
08-16-2004, 08:48 PM
As a BC Lion and Matt Dunigan fan, I was cheering for the Stamps. However, on the topic of running up the score, this is not a bad thing. When my team is winning, I expect them to keep giving it 100% right till the final whistle blows. That includes players and coaches. If my team is winning 100-0, has the ball on their half of the field on the last play of the game, I expect them to go for it. None of this "kneeling" crap. I have been on the losing end of 64 - 0 football games but I never resented the other team for continuing to score. Every play should be played like it is a tie game and all the better for you if you can whip my butt good.

They say Danny called those plays because he was mad? That is a dissappointing thought. I would not have expected that from him. It is dissappointing that he would react out of anger like that, and also dissappointing to think that he otherwise would not have called those very successfull and entertaining plays, from a purely football fan point of view. I must say, I don't quite get what he was supposedly so mad about. I didnt see Calgary do anything worse than we see in about a half a dozen plus games a yr. A sad but all too frequent part of our game.

Its a bummer to see Matt and Danny at odds and heartbreaking to see, on various boards, so much bitterness and anger between fans. Friendly rivalry is one thing but why so many need to get so heated over it is puzzling? Even the great Flutie\Johnson debates over on the ESPN Bills board a few years ago were not quite so volatile and bitter.

Well the dust has settled and time has passed and I am sure someday Danny and Matt will have a drink and a laugh together over this. How about the rest of us???

six pack
08-16-2004, 11:06 PM
As for the Simpsons thing. That is true.

As for the Raiders of the CFL. Well...both teams were chippy that night. But boy the Stamps got away with well more. At least they didnt loose gracefully.

AvengeR
08-16-2004, 11:24 PM
They took a page out of the Flames playbook. I'd rather see that, then to see them accept losing and lay down for some more beating.

JayP
08-17-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Ilikethissite@Aug 17 2004, 02:48 AM
However, on the topic of running up the score, this is not a bad thing. When my team is winning, I expect them to keep giving it 100% right till the final whistle blows.
This is completely different. This is what the Stamps did when "ran up the score" on the Riders in years past. We kept to our gameplan and got points because of it. But when in a team's gameplan do you try onside kicks when you're leading by 20 points and go for 3rd & longs?

calculoso
08-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by JayP+Aug 17 2004, 07:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JayP @ Aug 17 2004, 07:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ilikethissite@Aug 17 2004, 02:48 AM
However, on the topic of running up the score, this is not a bad thing. When my team is winning, I expect them to keep giving it 100% right till the final whistle blows.
This is completely different. This is what the Stamps did when "ran up the score" on the Riders in years past. We kept to our gameplan and got points because of it. But when in a team's gameplan do you try onside kicks when you're leading by 20 points and go for 3rd & longs? [/b][/quote]
I think it comes down to respect.

If you respect your opponent, you don't kick them when they're down.

If you respect your opponent, you don't try to embarrass them.

Following from that, if you respect your opponent, you don't try to run up the score when it's clear you're going to win.

Thunderball
08-17-2004, 01:38 PM
There's a difference between continuing to play hard, and pulling stunts like than onside kick... that was pure showboating, and yeah... this is the CFL, things will return to normal within a couple years.