PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop: Content-Aware Fill. Wow!

Kipper is King
03-24-2010, 01:53 PM
If you like playing around with Photoshop, or you've ever had difficulty removing something from an image, the upcoming content-aware fill feature in CS5 will blow your mind. I read about it on a tech blog, and my jaw hit the floor! Stuff that used to take hours to do might now just take seconds.

Check this out...

NH0aEp1oDOI

photon
03-24-2010, 02:16 PM
That's pretty cool.

worth
03-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Very cool. The delete tree and the cloud fill in were pretty amazing.

csnarpy
03-24-2010, 02:18 PM
wow. I can't wait for that to be released. I'll be in Graphic Artists heaven!

Russic
03-24-2010, 02:32 PM
This product will be more than worth it just for the amount of time I'll save on panorama's. God is that ever sexy.

BlackArcher101
03-24-2010, 04:41 PM
At first I was "meh" until the last demonstration, that's when I blurted out "No freakin way that'll work".

I now stand corrected. Amazing. I remember something like this being demonstrated by another company a year or two ago, I wonder if they bought them for this technology.

Stumptown
03-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Damn it! Now I'm not going to be able to tell my clients that Photoshop isn't "magic" anymore. The clone brush from the first demo was in 4, but I never found it to work very well. I work in print, though, and it's hard for me to believe that if you look really close at the high res you wouldn't be able to see the clone edges. But it would save a hell of a lot of time in certain situations.

rogermexico
03-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah, for print resolutions you'll probably see all kinds of problems, but for small res web work... my god that's going to save a lot of time.

3 Justin 3
03-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Are you kidding me. LOL

This is damn cool!

As someone said on the youtube comments:

"I think the question on everyone's mind is...is content-aware fill also anatomically aware? That is to say, what happens when you delete, say, pieces of clothing..."

Could this give us those dirty pictures of the most holy of people? haha

HOOT
03-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Can that be for real? That is amazing!

BlackArcher101
03-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Could this give us those dirty pictures of the most holy of people? haha

Why would you want dirty pictures of the pope?

Kipper is King
03-24-2010, 10:30 PM
It's the type of technology that I think could really benefit amateurs like me and pros as well.

REDVAN
03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
I call BS... those "content aware fixed" images look awfully real... just unbelieveable.

You Need a Thneed
03-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Starting in CS6, you won't have to take the picture in the first place, you just have to think about the picture you want, and Photoshop will draw it for you.

mykalberta
03-25-2010, 11:59 AM
That panorama one was very cool.

La Flames Fan
03-25-2010, 12:48 PM
http://www.ladda-ner-musik.net/images/what-has-been-seen.jpg

Nothing is real anymore. That was supremely cool.

fredr123
03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Here's an older proof of concept video:

dgKjs8ZjQNg

3 Justin 3
03-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Honestly, this feature is about the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Barnes
03-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I call BS... those "content aware fixed" images look awfully real... just unbelieveable.

It's actually relatively simple to method to achieve this through pattern matching and nearest neighbor analysis. The algorithms to do it have probably been around for a long time an desktop computers have now finally caught up in terms of the required horsepower.

Bob
03-26-2010, 12:54 PM
This is real and beta testers for Adobe have confirmed it works. I'm curious as to what it'll do when asked to extrapolate a newspaper or something with writing, but otherwise it's very impressive. Also that video doesn't show the details of the images. The actual fill looks good zoomed out in a youtube player, but up close it may contain several artifacts. Still, most of the DP guys I've heard from say this is some sort of god-send. Plenty of customers come in expecting a magic "fix" button in Photoshop, and this is almost the same thing!

badradio
03-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Pretty freaking sweet... Although it worries me, as someone in that industry, that the technology will become so easy and cheap that I'll be mowing lawns in a few years... But in the meantime... Sweeeeet!

BlackEleven
03-29-2010, 09:50 PM
It's actually relatively simple to method to achieve this through pattern matching and nearest neighbor analysis. The algorithms to do it have probably been around for a long time an desktop computers have now finally caught up in terms of the required horsepower.

Here's a video description of the algorithms used to do content aware scaling (from SIGGRAPH 2007). This is just one more step past that (as shown at the end of the video):

qadw0BRKeMk

Russic
03-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Pretty freaking sweet... Although it worries me, as someone in that industry, that the technology will become so easy and cheap that I'll be mowing lawns in a few years... But in the meantime... Sweeeeet!

People say stuff like this about photography all the time, but what I feel is often overlooked is that if you are highly skilled at Photoshop you will always have the advantage. Awesome tools in Photoshop will never take the place of strong photography skills or professional Photoshop experience.

Stumptown
03-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Wow, it can make sandwiches too! http://www.petapixel.com/2010/03/30/photoshop-content-aware-fill-parody/

It slices, it dices...

Kipper is King
03-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Wow, it can make sandwiches too! http://www.petapixel.com/2010/03/30/photoshop-content-aware-fill-parody/

It slices, it dices...

Awesome! Now, if I put a picture of myself at the NHL Draft as Sutter is drafting, does it show me being drafted by the Flames?:D

HOOT
03-30-2010, 09:21 PM
This might take a while because it's a pretty messy room.

LOL

Prototype
03-31-2010, 03:39 PM

I hear that's a feature they're working on for CS6, so you may be out of work again.