PDA

View Full Version : Gangster Jackie Tran to be deported

jar_e
03-02-2010, 04:52 PM
http://www.660news.com/radio/article/28849--jackie-tran-will-finally-be-deported

It's been a six year battle but finally alleged gangster Jackie Tran will step on a plane next month on a one-way ticket to Vietnam.

His lawyer Raj Sharma tells The Calgary Sun, Tran has accepted the fact his deportation is now only a matter of time.

Good to see him finally getting the boot. What was he on....his 7th appeal?

IliketoPuck
03-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

FlamesKickAss
03-02-2010, 04:53 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Resolute 14
03-02-2010, 04:54 PM
This is a repeat from 2009, 2008, 2007...

Forget deporting him. Just take him out to the 200km territorial limit we have on either ocean, drop him off and tell him if he makes it back to land he can stay.

jar_e
03-02-2010, 04:58 PM

Forget deporting him. Just take him out to the 200km territorial limit we have on either ocean, drop him off and tell him if he makes it back to land he can stay.

I'd say the fact his lawyer pretty much admitted defeat is a good sign that it'll actually happen and won't be a repeat.

burn_this_city
03-02-2010, 05:05 PM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Reputed+Calgary+gangster+Jackie+Tran+taken+airport/2633770/story.html

Sounds like hes going tonight.

Yeah_Baby
03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
He hasn't been the same since Rush Hour 2.

Azure
03-02-2010, 05:19 PM
We should shoot him for wasting tax payer dollars.

jayswin
03-02-2010, 05:23 PM
It would have been better if he had been killed by rivals, but deportation is the second best outcome.

Boblobla
03-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Apparently he is at the airport.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100302/CGY_jackie_tran_100302/20100302/?hub=CalgaryHome

Sainters7
03-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Jesus, I thought this was just an old thread with a bumped update. He hasn't been deported yet?? Enough with the due process, get his ass out of here already.

starseed
03-02-2010, 06:07 PM
We have an authoritarian government!! Where is the justice for the little guy! Those heartless monsters!

Bent Wookie
03-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Alleged gangster.... alleged. :rolleyes:

Buzzard
03-02-2010, 06:58 PM
That's flippin' AWESOME. Seeing how he's been here since he was a kid, the loser's basically being sent to a foreign land he knows dick all about! Have fun badass dickwad!! :bye:
http://images6.cafepress.com/product/123057346v3_225x225_Front.jpg

CaptainCrunch
03-02-2010, 07:01 PM
We have an authoritarian government!! Where is the justice for the little guy! Those heartless monsters!

Really hope thats sarcasm at its best.

jayswin
03-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Really hope thats sarcasm at its best.

Is there any doubt? :blink:

Antithesis
03-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I may watch the news tonight just to see this, so I can cackle madly while this complete loser gets sent to a country that he probably has no idea about. Fantastic!

Bertuzzied
03-02-2010, 07:09 PM
this is the best part. Too busy being a gangsta to file the paperwork.

Tran came to Canada with his mother as a child in 1993. Tran is a permanent resident, but never became a Canadian citizen, which would have prevented his deportation.

Antithesis
03-02-2010, 07:10 PM

Tran came to Canada with his mother as a child in 1993. Tran is a permanent resident, but never became a Canadian citizen, which would have prevented his deportation.

Citizen Paperwork Ain't Easy

Buzzard
03-02-2010, 07:31 PM

Forget deporting him. Just take him out to the 200km territorial limit we have on either ocean, drop him off and tell him if he makes it back to land he'll be shot on sight.

Fixed.

Huntingwhale
03-02-2010, 08:28 PM
THis guy is a piece of CRAP and so is his lawyer. Thousands upon thousands of tax payers dollars wasted on this ######. Send his lawyer along with him. Perfect example of what is wrong with the system today when someone can be ordered deported SIX years ago, yet continue to pile on appeal after appeal. Good riddance.

Vulcan
03-02-2010, 08:41 PM
The guy will probably be back in six months with a phony passport under an assumed name.

4X4
03-02-2010, 08:42 PM
The guy will probably be back in six months with a phony passport under an assumed name.

Bruce Free?

Antithesis
03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Trackie Jan

Vulcan
03-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Bruce Free?

Trackie jan

I don't get it.

pope04
03-02-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't get it.

Think assumed name.

bcb
03-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Is he on the plane yet, or is he still stuck at the airport?

Winsor_Pilates
03-03-2010, 12:17 AM
THis guy is a piece of CRAP and so is his lawyer. Thousands upon thousands of tax payers dollars wasted on this ######. Send his lawyer along with him. Perfect example of what is wrong with the system today when someone can be ordered deported SIX years ago, yet continue to pile on appeal after appeal. Good riddance.
Don't think that's fair on the lawyer.
It's an unfortunate but absolutely necessary part of our legal system to have fair representation for everyone. The lawyer has to do his best to represent him, no matter who he is or has done. If we didn't have lawyers to represent the bad guys, we wouldn't have a legal system.

Hack&Lube
03-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Don't think that's fair on the lawyer.
It's an unfortunate but absolutely necessary part of our legal system to have fair representation for everyone. The lawyer has to do his best to represent him, no matter who he is or has done. If we didn't have lawyers to represent the bad guys, we wouldn't have a legal system.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7209/dergv.jpg

Vulcan
03-03-2010, 02:28 AM
Think assumed name.

damn senior moment, I was making it complicated, thinking it was a movie or book reference.

Bertuzzied
03-03-2010, 09:17 AM

Chris Mother Tucker

fredr123
03-03-2010, 10:02 AM

While I appreciate that the "thousands upon thousands of dollars wasted on this ######" comment is likely directed at all of the costs inherent in running our justice system, I take umbrage with the photo of a lawyer with dollar signs in his eyes.

I do not know whether Jackie Tran's defence and multiple appeals were funded by Legal Aid Alberta. In many cases, the serious offences you see make the news on a nightly basis are defended by lawyers who are working on legal aid certificates. The tariffs paid by Legal Aid are quite modest. I would suggest that the primary motivating factor for defence lawyers in these cases is not money. If you are a lawyer in Alberta, there are far better ways to make beaucoup bucks than taking on Legal Aid cases.

Here are the current (well, 2009 anyway) tariffs paid by Legal Aid Alberta: http://www.legalaid.ab.ca/lawyers/Documents/2009%20Tariff-%20PRINTER%20FRIENDLY.pdf

Hack&Lube
03-03-2010, 03:57 PM
While I appreciate that the "thousands upon thousands of dollars wasted on this ######" comment is likely directed at all of the costs inherent in running our justice system, I take umbrage with the photo of a lawyer with dollar signs in his eyes.

I do not know whether Jackie Tran's defence and multiple appeals were funded by Legal Aid Alberta. In many cases, the serious offences you see make the news on a nightly basis are defended by lawyers who are working on legal aid certificates. The tariffs paid by Legal Aid are quite modest. I would suggest that the primary motivating factor for defence lawyers in these cases is not money. If you are a lawyer in Alberta, there are far better ways to make beaucoup bucks than taking on Legal Aid cases.

Here are the current (well, 2009 anyway) tariffs paid by Legal Aid Alberta: http://www.legalaid.ab.ca/lawyers/Documents/2009%20Tariff-%20PRINTER%20FRIENDLY.pdf

You just didn't get the joke. You didn't recognize the lawyer in the the picture as being Balfour Der. Probably a decent guy, was even a crown lawyer, but the butt of several jokes in Calgary as the guy who jumps to defend every high profile murderer, rapist, drug dealer, white collar granny scammer, multiple-fatality causing drunk driver, etc. and is probably one of the most highly paid and infamous defense lawyers in the city.

Agamemnon
03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm sure it's definitely about the money for him. Same as me, when I go to work, I get paid. You don't?

CaptainCrunch
03-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I get paid in gum

Azure
03-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Citizen Paperwork Ain't Easy

Especially if you're too busy being a gangster.

fredr123
03-03-2010, 04:52 PM
You just didn't get the joke. You didn't recognize the lawyer in the the picture as being Balfour Der. Probably a decent guy, was even a crown lawyer, but the butt of several jokes in Calgary as the guy who jumps to defend every high profile murderer, rapist, drug dealer, white collar granny scammer, multiple-fatality causing drunk driver, etc. and is probably one of the most highly paid and infamous defense lawyers in the city.

I did get the joke and I do recognize the lawyer.

I don't know how much Balfour Der makes or whether he really is one the most highly paid defense lawyers in Calgary. Perhaps he is.

Der wasn't Jackie Tran's lawyer. The photo of Der was posted in response to another poster who chimed in to defend the idea of having lawyers representing the interests and rights of even the scummiest of scum our country will encounter. The photo was a cheap shot at lawyers in general and played on the stereotype many people hold towards members of the Bar.

Many, many of the accused persons in our legal system are represented by lawyers who are paid through Legal Aid. Those lawyers do not earn much at all through that work, especially relative to those lawyers who work on private retainers. Legal Aid limits your hourly rate and the number of hours you can bill for certain tasks. There are plenty of lawyers in Calgary who do Legal Aid work because they believe in Canada's legal system and feel a duty to ensure everyone has access to adequate representation and a fair trial. Those are the lawyers who are getting a bad rap.

I don't mean to derail this discussion, but for some reason those posts above really irked me today.

Yeah_Baby
03-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Wait, what if fredr123 sees that face in the mirror.......

jayswin
03-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Haha, Lawyers are always so serious and technical. How dare you make fun of lawyers, now let me hit you with a three paragraph response to your little joke. :D

Hack&Lube
03-03-2010, 06:16 PM
I did get the joke and I do recognize the lawyer.

I don't know how much Balfour Der makes or whether he really is one the most highly paid defense lawyers in Calgary. Perhaps he is.

Der wasn't Jackie Tran's lawyer. The photo of Der was posted in response to another poster who chimed in to defend the idea of having lawyers representing the interests and rights of even the scummiest of scum our country will encounter. The photo was a cheap shot at lawyers in general and played on the stereotype many people hold towards members of the Bar.

Many, many of the accused persons in our legal system are represented by lawyers who are paid through Legal Aid. Those lawyers do not earn much at all through that work, especially relative to those lawyers who work on private retainers. Legal Aid limits your hourly rate and the number of hours you can bill for certain tasks. There are plenty of lawyers in Calgary who do Legal Aid work because they believe in Canada's legal system and feel a duty to ensure everyone has access to adequate representation and a fair trial. Those are the lawyers who are getting a bad rap.

I don't mean to derail this discussion, but for some reason those posts above really irked me today.

I've worked for the Calgary Bar Association. My buddies in law school would often defend people for free or part of their program or also work for legal aid. Lawyers don't have the same bad rap in Canada as in the US. I think they are pretty well respected and many recognize the efforts of legal aid and the friendliness of the legal community.
I still feel that legal fees are quite high, but I feel the same about many professional services ($500 to clean my gums? what?)

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1130/whysoserious300x300.jpg

IIRC, Tran's lawyer was a young east indian guy who used to work for a larger firm but became independant and had a modest fee. Der however is a common CP joke on many threads.

Vulcan
03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
The photo was a cheap shot at lawyers in general and played on the stereotype many people hold towards members of the Bar.

I didn't take that as a cheap shot at lawyers at all. It was a well deserved shot at a particular lawyer gained by my personal experience. In my opinion of course.

fredr123
03-04-2010, 08:49 AM
I've worked for the Calgary Bar Association. My buddies in law school would often defend people for free or part of their program or also work for legal aid. Lawyers don't have the same bad rap in Canada as in the US. I think they are pretty well respected and many recognize the efforts of legal aid and the friendliness of the legal community.
I still feel that legal fees are quite high, but I feel the same about many professional services ($500 to clean my gums? what?)

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1130/whysoserious300x300.jpg

IIRC, Tran's lawyer was a young east indian guy who used to work for a larger firm but became independant and had a modest fee. Der however is a common CP joke on many threads.

I won't weigh in on whether Der's reputation around here has been earned or not, but I do think that Tran's lawyer has been unfairly criticized. I know the guy a little bit and perhaps that's why I've been overly sensitive. I've seen and heard the crap that he had to put up with merely because he vigorously and zealously defended his client all the while seeking every recourse available to him in our justice system.

In my view, he did only what he should have and has done nothing wrong. He's had people trash him on a personal level in this thread, in Calgary Sun letters to the editor, in emails and voice mails. I feel for Tran's lawyer and I don't think he should have had to endure that kind of BS.

For anyone interested, here is Tran's lawyer's latest blog posting about the Myth of Jackie Tran: http://immlawyer.blogs.com/my_weblog/2010/03/the-myth-of-jackie-tran.html

The Yen Man
03-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Well, I take it as a given that the media will always be able to whip the general public into a pitchfork frenzy. That's just how the media operates. I'm not saying whether Tran should be or shouldn't be allowed to stay in the country, that's for the courts to decide. But you have to admit, the media tries its hardest to sensationalize this story as much as possible, and as a result, you get angry people demanding this or that without full knowledge of what goes on in the background.

Cowboy89
03-04-2010, 10:08 AM
I won't weigh in on whether Der's reputation around here has been earned or not, but I do think that Tran's lawyer has been unfairly criticized. I know the guy a little bit and perhaps that's why I've been overly sensitive. I've seen and heard the crap that he had to put up with merely because he vigorously and zealously defended his client all the while seeking every recourse available to him in our justice system.

In my view, he did only what he should have and has done nothing wrong. He's had people trash him on a personal level in this thread, in Calgary Sun letters to the editor, in emails and voice mails. I feel for Tran's lawyer and I don't think he should have had to endure that kind of BS.

For anyone interested, here is Tran's lawyer's latest blog posting about the Myth of Jackie Tran: http://immlawyer.blogs.com/my_weblog/2010/03/the-myth-of-jackie-tran.html

I think a lot of people really do not understand what kind of personal sacrifices that lawyers make for their profession. I work with a lot of lawyers and while on average they do tend to make well-above average money relative to the broad strata of society (which is probably where the resentment/jokes/negative sentiment come from), they do not make as much as other professions who work the same kind of long hours.

Investment Bankers generally make more than lawyers and work roughly similar hours and do not have to go through years of law school and articling.

mykalberta
03-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I think alot of times lawyers get combined with the legal system. Its the legal system that failed us here, any non canadian who commits a crime should be deported as soon as convicted - do not pass go, do not go to jail, get sent back to where you are from.

I wont comment on dollar sign eyes as he seems a nice enough guy at the gym, even if he does do his stretching without any socks or shoes on.

Thankfully me an my family havnt had to deal with lawyers or the courts alot. On the two times we did, it was very hard to discern whether it was dodgy lawyers or a dodgy system that was responsible.

Bobblehead
03-04-2010, 11:36 AM
So what happens if Vietnam refuses to accept him back?

nik-
03-04-2010, 11:53 AM

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/IMAGES/153/932481.jpg

RyZ
03-04-2010, 11:54 AM
I hope they sent all his friends with him.

amorak
03-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Mid flight parachute over the Pacific, baby!

Two Fivenagame
03-04-2010, 02:32 PM
na na naaa naaa

na na naaa naaa

hey hey heeeey

G T F OOOOOOO

CaptainCrunch
03-04-2010, 03:08 PM
We need a criminal deportation rail gun.

Two Fivenagame
03-04-2010, 03:12 PM
We need a criminal deportation rail gun.

...ya and it's attached to a giant red lever like Conan's Walker Texas Ranger Lever

Coys1882
03-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I've seen and heard the crap that he had to put up with merely because he vigorously and zealously defended his client all the while seeking every recourse available to him in our justice system.

Why does he put up with it then? Why work in that capacity? Couldn't he practice in a different area of the law?

I understand the court system - I understand the necessity of Defence Lawyers, I just don't understand how they be comfortable with their own existence. How do they feel when they go home and KNOW that they just put a criminal on the streets? You can only hide behind the romantic notion of blind lady justice for so long before it must start to eat away at you. How do they feel when they see someone they sprung commit another crime? What if someone they knew or loved ended up being a victim to someone they help set free?

I don't know any defense lawyers but I'd love to pick their brain a bit about this. Not a finger in the chest kind of conversation but one to really get an understanding of their mindset.

amorak
03-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Why does he put up with it then? Why work in that capacity? Couldn't he practice in a different area of the law?

I understand the court system - I understand the necessity of Defence Lawyers, I just don't understand how they be comfortable with their own existence. How do they feel when they go home and KNOW that they just put a criminal on the streets? You can only hide behind the romantic notion of blind lady justice for so long before it must start to eat away at you. How do they feel when they see someone they sprung commit another crime? What if someone they knew or loved ended up being a victim to someone they help set free?

I don't know any defense lawyers but I'd love to pick their brain a bit about this. Not a finger in the chest kind of conversation but one to really get an understanding of their mindset.

I have worked with many lawyers in my time as a professional, though not defense lawyers. However, I have always been interested in what makes someone become a defense lawyer and I have asked my lawyer friends and acquaintances the same sort of questions you bring up.

Their response inevitably surrounds a common theme - "The Common Good".

These people really believe in the justice system and in a persons right to defend themselves. Most of them don't believe in helping criminals escape prosecution, but the opposite - In ensuring that innocents are not prosecuted.

I take my hats off to these guys, other than Der, that guy's a doof ;)

They really believe in our common right to defend ourselves, and they make a lot of sacrifices for it.

fredr123
03-04-2010, 04:42 PM

A lot of the really bad negative comments were racially-based. "Go back ter where ya came from" kind of stuff. Which is sad because, if I recall, he was born in some really crappy place like Winnipeg. ;)

Why put up with it? Someone has to do it, right? There are plenty of areas in which our current justice system could use some improvement but I shudder to think what it would look like if accused persons were not given access to competent legal counsel. It is up to those counsel to remind the Court of what needs to be proved and make sure the Crown does its job. Could you imagine what would happen to people like Tran, or Samrat Dhuna or the cement truck driver if he was left to defend himself? The media and general public already convicted those guys long before the courtroom doors were even unlocked to start the trial.

We've all agreed to live in a country where you will not get convicted unless there is proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Sometimes proof falls short of that standard and guys that we all think *must* be guilty are set free.

I've successfully permitted a number of questionable individuals to roam the streets in the past. Most of them, I don't think twice about but a couple of them bother me a little bit. I keep telling myself that it's up to the police to thoroughly investigate the offence and it's up to the Crown to prove the case to a certain standard. If they fail to do that, then it's not my problem. That doesn't always help on those nights when you're overcome by insomnia though.

CaptainCrunch
03-04-2010, 04:47 PM
I think a lot of the frustration comes from the judging of the cases, the sentencing and the appeals that we hear about. But its convienient to turn a jaded eye on the defense lawyers.

I think we get sick and tired of soft sentences for the convicted, I think we get tired of a convicted person getting a harsher sentence and the first thing the defense lawyer says is that its too harsh or punative and pushing for sentencing appeals.

Frankly when it comes to the law most of us are frankly lay persons but we have an instinct when it comes to horrible crimes that the punishment should be reflective of that instinct.

We get tired of hearing about a pedophile getting two or three years and the defense lawyer crying that the sentence is too harsh, or a murderer getting 5 years and its too harsh.

We get tired of the parole announcements where a person is getting out after serving a third of their sentence for a violent crime.

I don't blame the defense lawyers personally, they're suppossed to provide a stiff and compentant defense, I do blame the way the justice system has set up the law and the punishment lengths and allowed criminals to stay in remand so they get two to one or three to one credit.

Just for once I'd like to see a defense lawyer say "I tried but frankly I think the sentence was fair"

I guess what I get tired of is the drowning out of the victims voices because we as a society want to be perceived as fair and compassionate to the offender.

I really get tired when it seems that the judges don't have common sense or don't get offended by the severity of the crime.

The old saying is that justice is suppossed to be blind and balanced, but I don't believe it is because its become corrupted by the concepts of pity, or compassion or mercy. I don't believe honestly and I'm going to take sh$t for saying it, but those emotions shouldn't be placed in front of the concept of a justice system.

Buzzard
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Done Deal.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Alleged+gangster+Jackie+Tran+deported+Calgary+offi cials+confirm/2645683/story.html

Da_Chief
03-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Sicen he was a kid, his mother could've applied for citizenship and become a citizen and he would've automatically became one too.

Done Deal.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Alleged+gangster+Jackie+Tran+deported+Calgary+offi cials+confirm/2645683/story.html

Glad hes gone! Does this solve the problem though? One gone but 10 more probably want to be his replacement in that gang!

Yeah_Baby
03-05-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm assuming the gang replaced him a while back. I mean Tran had to keep a lowish profile no?