PDA

View Full Version : Keep Sake: Commemorative DVD / BluRay

SOMBRI2
02-28-2010, 10:03 PM
http://store.ctvolympics.ca/Pages/category.aspx?cat=CTVOlympicsCatalog&category=CommemorativeDVD

I think it deserves its own thread. I have watched a lot of events but not all for sure. From disappointment of the opening ceremony to stumbling out of the gate; to breaking the gold medal count record and closing the games in fashion. I regret that I didn't PVR many events for keep sake. I am going to get a BluRay version perhaps.

Anyone and what's your thoughts on keeping this memory? Would you go to get something like the Commemorative set or you have other ways?

Fairweather
02-28-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm such a sucker for these things. Already ordered the DVD set.

arloiginla
02-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Trying to order, but the site is slow and not running well. Stop buying up all the DVDs people!

I'll try again tomorrow. I imagine the hockey team will have its own DVD out soon.

Eastern Girl
02-28-2010, 10:08 PM
When they first started advertising it, I laughed mainly because it was roughly the second or so day of the Olympics, but I figured, "Why are they already advertising this before the games have really begun and Why would I get that?" But I am seriously considering getting it now. These Olympics were amazing for Canada and Canadians. It was really an incredible time and since I didn't record any of it, I suppose I have to buy this.

pewpew
02-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Definitely getting the Blu Ray. I hesitated at first but now that the Games are over I'm pre-ordering it.

silentsim
02-28-2010, 10:11 PM
I want the hockey dvd, hope its announced/released soon!

SOMBRI2
02-28-2010, 10:13 PM
I PVR some events, just the fact to get it out from the machine will cost you a BluRay external drive; or serious data compression onto just DVD-R. I have tonight's Closing as well....but screw that, it takes up 20% of my PVR already.

I am onside with some posters, that I was laughing at the commercials to begin with!

Bob
02-28-2010, 10:22 PM
If they use the raw HD feed and don't screw up the authoring process the Blu-Rays could be superb.

TheyCallMeBruce
02-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Ordinarily I wouldn't have cared. But this olympics was beyond memorable. I've never enjoyed an olympic as much as this one. I would buy the DVD.

Shazam
02-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Getting the BR for sure.

ZedMan
03-01-2010, 12:33 AM
Ordinarily I wouldn't have cared. But this olympics was beyond memorable. I've never enjoyed an olympic as much as this one. I would buy the DVD.

Same here. Normally i watch hockey and maybe 1 or 2 other events if they happen to be on. This olympics, however, I couldn't get enough. Maybe it's because it was in Canada, maybe it's because of CTV's AWESOME coverage, but this was really special. Blu-ray ordered.

chalms04
03-01-2010, 12:40 AM
This will probably be the excuse I make to finally buy a Bluray player.

LockedOut
03-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Getting the Bluray and hoping it's in HD. If it's just SD or upscaled SD I'll be somewhat dissappointed but still enjoy watching it anyways.

La Flames Fan
03-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Ordered. Sucker.

jar_e
03-01-2010, 01:09 AM
I'm getting it just alone for the Cuthbert's call on Crosby's goal.

edit: oh and just a heads up, only visa is accepted.

Yamer
03-01-2010, 09:52 AM
they lost a sale when the little message at the END of the checkout said they only accept Visa

hope it is sold elsewhere other than the ctv site

Russic
03-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Will it have the events in their entirety or will it be clips? I'd like to get it, but there are so many torrents out there that I could just as easy download the events of my choosing and make my own compilation. I wouldn't want to do that. You know. Because it's wrong.

TRIX
03-01-2010, 10:34 AM
only VISA? Freeman getting a cut of that?

I have the Hockey Canada Gold Rush 2002 dvd, gonna wait for the 2010 version to come out, as for the Olympics coverage, I'll wait for someone to sell it second hand.

SOMBRI2
03-01-2010, 10:40 AM
i like that VISA commercial too, and too bad, only VISA is accepted in every venues and events of the olympics. the DVD set is no exception because they are exclusive sponsor of Vancouver 2010.

Hemi-Cuda
03-01-2010, 10:44 AM
so is there no way to buy this set if i don't have a Visa card? what a bunch of BS

mykalberta
03-01-2010, 10:51 AM
You will be able to buy it at places like hmv, this is just the preorder stuff.

Yamer
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
hmmmm, we swear to God the games are not corporate

you know, crap like this makes me think otherwise. i love the games, but this a harsh reminder that sometimes it is just about the money

you can own all the moments of these games!....if you have a visa card

mykalberta
03-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Why the hate on the corporate.

If they didnt fund these things, no one would.

SOMBRI2
03-01-2010, 11:02 AM
not sure if it will be distributed through stores like HMV, BestBuy or FutureShop, didn't see any marketing from them.

mykalberta
03-01-2010, 11:19 AM
not sure if it will be distributed through stores like HMV, BestBuy or FutureShop, didn't see any marketing from them.

Likely because the DVD physically isnt available yet.

Its like anything else, they will try to upsell this DVD to get people to order from them then when it does down and stock gets built it will be given to other retailers to sell.

If you dont have a Visa card, you will be able to buy this, just not right now. At least I hope since all I have is an AmEx card.

FurnaceFace
03-01-2010, 12:16 PM
all I have is an AmEx card.

I'm impressed you can get through life with just Amex. I find a number of places shun it as they aren't kind to the merchant.

Are Visa cards tough to get or something? I'm missing why it's a large deal. I will admit I prefer using my Amex for the aeroplan points but I don't freak out if I have to use my Visa.

jar_e
03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Will it have the events in their entirety or will it be clips? I'd like to get it, but there are so many torrents out there that I could just as easy download the events of my choosing and make my own compilation. I wouldn't want to do that. You know. Because it's wrong.

From the site:

rogram highlights include:

A feature-length documentary telling the story of the Games and how Canadian athletes faced the world’s best in their quest to be at the top of the podium.
The story of each sport is unveiled for you to relive – just as the moments of excitement and emotion unfolded at Olympic Games venues in Vancouver.
Extensive bonus features are built-in to every disc, including a “behind the scenes” look at the Games, extensive highlights of key sports including Men’s and Women’s Hockey, Figure Skating, Curling, Skiing, Speed Skating and all the Freestyle Sports.
Opening and Closing Ceremonies in long-form feature entertainment and the lighting of Vancouver 2010 Olympic Cauldron.

DownhillGoat
03-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Are Visa cards tough to get or something? I'm missing why it's a large deal.

Kind of confused with that too...

For those of you without a Visa who want to get this collection, I would assume that a prepaid Visa card would work on the CTV site. That way one could still purchase the set without having to sign up for a Visa.

Yamer
03-02-2010, 09:48 AM

For those of you without a Visa who want to get this collection, I would assume that a prepaid Visa card would work on the CTV site. That way one could still purchase the set without having to sign up for a Visa.

You have educated me.

I shall look for said 'pre-paid visa's'....because you were right to assume that I don't handle debt very well. Hence the one MasterCard I do have.

Appreciate it.

mykalberta
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm impressed you can get through life with just Amex. I find a number of places shun it as they aren't kind to the merchant.

Are Visa cards tough to get or something? I'm missing why it's a large deal. I will admit I prefer using my Amex for the aeroplan points but I don't freak out if I have to use my Visa.

5% cashback on all purchases over $5000 for the year makes me stick with it.

Plus the gold card makes me feel like I am better than everyone else :cool:

Its one of those things, if retailers dont accept it I dont shop there - exception being superstore of course and small cash type fast food and asian places which I can pay for with cash.

mykalberta
03-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Are those available in Canada? I havent seen them anywhere. I know they are used extensively in the US but.

Acey
03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm not buying the Blu-ray till I'm sure it will be proper 1080i and not SD or the macroblocked mess of HD we see on TV.

chowdachad
03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Are those available in Canada? I havent seen them anywhere. I know they are used extensively in the US but.
you can get them at RBC for sure

DownhillGoat
03-02-2010, 11:16 AM
RBC, BMO, and apparently Canadian Tire now offers them. Just make sure you read all the fine print. Especially for fees and expiry dates.

@ Yamer - if you go that route post the results. I have a buddy who might be ordering these the same way.

Yamer
03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
RBC, BMO, and apparently Canadian Tire now offers them. Just make sure you read all the fine print. Especially for fees and expiry dates.

@ Yamer - if you go that route post the results. I have a buddy who might be ordering these the same way.

I think I may. I have been looking into it a little bit.

If there are any fee's or contracts I may just wait for amazon or likewise to order it. As a CTV release I would imagine it is pretty exclusive.

If I can slap down 75 odd dollars for a one time payment I will let you know how. Hope RBC isn't upset that I don't have an account there. I'll check good old Canadian Rubber too.

Russic
03-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Why the hate on the corporate.

If they didnt fund these things, no one would.

I have to agree here. As much as we hate to admit it, money is a giant part of the Olympics. Vancouver paid 6 billion for them. As fun as it was, that is going to be an incredible financial burden for a very long time. Any money coming in is essential.

Prototype
03-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I imagine that only VISA is accepted as they were a major sponsor for the Olympics. Once the pre-sale is done, I'm sure we'll see it in stores as previously mentioned, but it makes sense to me that it had to be done this way so that Mastercard, etc, didn't get any airtime when VISA was a sponsor.

DownhillGoat
03-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Also, the Shopping Channel is in the Rogers Communication conglomerate.
I doubt it's any different, but perhaps they offer other credit card options.

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/product/all+brands/504828.do?&N=129129&cm_re=A-_-MN-_-OlymBoxSet504828

Also, free shipping.

Hemi-Cuda
03-02-2010, 12:59 PM

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/product/all+brands/504828.do?&N=129129&cm_re=A-_-MN-_-OlymBoxSet504828

Also, free shipping.

wow, thanks for that link. just bought the set and they accept MasterCard

BloodFetish
03-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Also, free shipping.

Crap. I just placed my order on CTV's website and payed $9.95 shipping.

I wonder if the proceeds from these sales will go anywhere besides CTV's own pockets? I'd support some of this money going towards programs that help the athletes.

silentsim
03-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Also, free shipping.
How is it that it is in stock there but the CTV website states

Your commemorative Blu-Ray box set will ship within six weeks of the completion of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

EDIT
nm...it says the same thing, I fail at reading descriptions.

amorak
03-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Any info on what the Bleu Ray has? AKA is it uncompressed video ro ty compressed 720p/1080i crapola?

jar_e
05-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Incase you didn't get the email, the blu-ray FINALLY shipped this past week. Hopefully will get it early this week.

Mazrim
06-01-2010, 08:53 AM
I got the blu-ray yesterday and checked some of it out. The hockey disc is pretty good. They have highlight packages for the prelims (about 30 minutes), the quarter-finals, semi-finals and Bronze medal game (about 40 minutes, plenty showing Kipper getting shelled by the USA) and the entire gold medal game (1 and a half hours total, for some reason the first period had the score/info in french). Didn't watch women's hockey yet.

The picture quality looks to be 720p on the blu-ray. Sound quality was iffy in spots unfortunately. It certainly wasn't uniform, and sometimes I thought it sounded like a radio station. Oh, and the whole thing is narrated by Brian Williams, who does a good job.

Disc 1 - Olympic Highlights, Opening/Closing Ceremonies, Nordic
Disc 2 - Hockey
Disc 3 - Skating, Curling
Disc 4 - Bobsled, Skeleton, etc.
Disc 5 - Ski Cross, other ski/snowboard sports.

Expect a bare bones package and simple menus. There's no chapters from what I could tell (didn't really check, but the gold medal hockey game was one big chunk from the looks of it, I ended up fast forwarding at 120x speed to get to the end of the 3rd period). Still a good keepsake though!

SebC
06-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Got mine... now I need a BR player. Couldn't bring myself to buy SD when HD is available.

jar_e
06-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Only thing that sucked was trying to watch the gold medal game there was no chapters to jump forth. Had to FF all the way to the OT.

Mazrim
06-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I watched a bit more of the blu-ray this weekend, and I can say that some of the decisions they made to cut time down is starting to grate on me. For example, I have a feeling that in order to fit both Figure Skating and Curling on one disc, they had to really cut the Curling like crazy.

I'm all for trimming down some of the more boring material, but condensing the Gold Medal Men's game into about 20 minutes, and then almost 15 minutes for the post-celebration and mandatory "I Believe" highlight package which I always turn off, it was annoying. I wanted to watch the game develop, not just see ONLY the good shots from only half the ends of the game. You never even get to watch any parts where they strategize on what to do next. Colour me disappointed in the Curling package.

Of course, figure skating is the full meal deal because...well, how do you cut up that without damaging the integrity of their performance? :bag:

Mango
06-07-2010, 11:04 AM
I wanted to watch the game develop, not just see ONLY the good shots from only half the ends of the game. You never even get to watch any parts where they strategize on what to do next. Colour me disappointed in the Curling package.

I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who feels this way. I would have preferred if they showed the pivotal ends for both the men and women. Cheryl Bernard made some pretty clutch shots on her way to the medal round and they barely showed any context of how her shots came to be. If an end was blanked, that's fine, skip it. However, I attended many of the games on the women's side and so much was missed. I'm really disappointed.

Also, I found there to be a skipping program with the curling/figure skating DVD. The hockey one is fine. However, as mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm surprised they didn't put chapters in the hockey games.