PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to CTV, TSN and Sportsnet

Acey
02-28-2010, 09:13 PM
For doing a pretty damn good job of covering these games. With three channels and lots of replays, we didn't miss a thing and there was always something to watch. Everything was nicely coordinated between the networks. This has been my favorite Olympics TV coverage. Kudos!

3 Justin 3
02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah, they really did an excellent job. Minimal James Cybulski was a good thing. :)

Kaine
02-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Aye, props to all of the great coverage we received for these Olympics.

3 Justin 3
2 more years until I get more Brian Williams. Such a long wait.

Infamous1
Yeah it was always nice to be able to flip through 3 channels and have something different on all 3. When CBC has the games, I can't remember if anyone else shows anything or just them.

VladtheImpaler
02-28-2010, 09:20 PM
It was even better with "mute". ;)

Bob
02-28-2010, 09:20 PM
CTV streaming was superb. No issues at all and great quality--I burned through something like 50 GB (!!) streaming the games.

kipperiggy
02-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Fantastic coverage of the Olympics! Best that I've seen.

sureLoss
02-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I loved the streams on ctvolympics.ca as well, made it very easy to watch the events.

SOMBRI2
02-28-2010, 09:23 PM
I loved the streams on ctvolympics.ca as well, made it very easy to watch the events.

The smoothest ever....:)

MRCboicgy
02-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Finally, a use for Silverlight

LockedOut
02-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Definitely much better than what CBC did in the past. The summer games in London is going to be a tall task though. Is Sportsnet also involved for that games too? Also I hope TSN2 for the summer games gets used for Live coverage instead of timeshifted stuff.

FiftyBelow
02-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Yes, thank you CTV, TSN, Sportsnet and the rest of the Olympic broadcast consortium for making it nearly impossible to be productive the last couple of weeks.

Joborule
02-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Really loved the 24/7 coverage of the Olympics by 3 networks. Are the three going to be involved in similar fashion for the London Olympics?

Acey
02-28-2010, 09:34 PM
At the end of the last montage CTV said "See you in London", so I hope so.

CaptainReboot
02-28-2010, 09:35 PM
OLN showed some stuff as well, so we had unbelievable coverage.

3 Justin 3
02-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Do we know yet who will be doing the coverage of the Summer Olympics? Hell, I'll probably going so I guess it doesn't matter. :p

sa226
02-28-2010, 09:37 PM
I might have to bite the bullet and buy that DVD box set.....I think there are a lot of moments that I missed......and I want to relive the best ones.

Joborule
02-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Do we know yet who will be doing the coverage of the Summer Olympics? Hell, I'll probably going so I guess it doesn't matter. :p
CTV for sure is doing it since they closed coverage with saying they're covering London.

Komskies
02-28-2010, 09:45 PM
The coverage was pretty good.

My only complaint is I wish the could have broken down the time slots for PVR users. It was annoying trying to record events when it's listed in 6 hour blocks of HD programming.

-TC-
02-28-2010, 09:47 PM
the coverage was fantastic

pewpew
02-28-2010, 10:08 PM
The CTV Media Consortium owns the Olympics broadcast rights through until London. After that it's back to the bidding.

La Flames Fan
02-28-2010, 10:08 PM
The coverage was indeed awesome. All in HD too. Kudos CTV et al.

Acey
02-28-2010, 10:24 PM
The coverage was pretty good.

My only complaint is I wish the could have broken down the time slots for PVR users. It was annoying trying to record events when it's listed in 6 hour blocks of HD programming.
This is true. Though my PVR has a "set recording" function and you can just pick an arbitrary time to start recording, it doesn't keep track of what you're actually recording.

pylon
02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Yes, awesome coverage indeed. I also would like to thank the consortium for my upcoming disciplinary hearing at work for tardiness in the last 2 weeks of February...lol.

minnow
02-28-2010, 10:32 PM
The coverage was great, I thought some of the announcers were lame, just making up things to say, especially in hockey. They filled time with some unbelievable idiotic statements. Also, everytime they called Kypreos "Kipper", it drove me crazy. There is only one "Kipper", like there is only one "Iggy".

Joborule
02-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Seems like London will have all 3 networks doing this again:

http://ctvmedia.ca/olympics/

About Canada’s Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium
Canada’s Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium is a unique relationship between leading media conglomerates CTV Inc. and Rogers Media Inc., which together will provide unprecedented coverage and consumer choice in English, French and multi-languages on multiple platforms for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games and the London 2012 Games of the Olympiad. Official brands include CTV, TSN, RDS, RIS Info Sports, Rogers Sportsnet, OMNI, OLN, V, APTN, ATN, CTVOlympics.ca, RDSolympiques.ca, The Globe and Mail, Corus Québec and select Rogers radio stations across the country.

Frequitude
02-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Unthanks to CTV for being so god damn negative in the first week.

hwy19man
02-28-2010, 11:57 PM
The APTN, RDS, and V networks also did a very good job covering events in french and did interviews with Olympic athletes in english when necessary. APTN was trilingual in its coverage with english, french, and an aboriginal language.

The one thing the CTV and TSN need to improve on is their audience relations to regular TV viewers and media people. They need to have a direct phone line to the Olympic coverage just like the CBC had. In emails I had with canadian olympic journalists and bloggers through out the olympics, they said that CTV was too slow in responding to media commentators and writers.

Hack&Lube
02-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Don't forget OLN and Omni!

I'm going to really miss the best of TSN and Sportsnet crews working together (although Kypreos can go fall off a cliff, I think McKenzie was embarassed sitting next to him).

Really will miss Jay Onrait doing the CTV morning show.

A2HL0urGz8M

edn88
03-01-2010, 12:04 AM
At my house we pretty much had TV on 24x7 while we were home. CTV and company did a great job and it was my first time watching Winter Olympics in HD, so that was pretty cool too.

Think I am going to go through a little post Olympic withdrawl. I was looking to see what channel the Paralympics are on.

Joborule
03-01-2010, 12:06 AM

I'm going to really miss the best of TSN and Sportsnet crews working together (although Kypreos can go fall off a cliff, I think McKenzie was embarassed sitting next to him).

A2HL0urGz8M
This is why Jay Onrait is the best.

hwy19man
03-01-2010, 12:06 AM

Forgot about Omni, OLN has been mentioned in this thread but both did a good job as well. I have to say the duo of James Duthie and Lisa LaFlamme worked well to the point those two should be paired up to do one TSN NHL game. Onrait is terrible and so is his regular partner on Sportscentre, that is where TSN brakes down.

d_phaneuf
03-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Bell was awesome as well

those 5 free HD channels were awesome, and surprisingly necessary during the Sweden/Slovakia quarterfinal hockey game when CTV decided to go to an interview in whistler during the 2nd period.

d_phaneuf
03-01-2010, 12:08 AM

Him and O'Toole are outstanding together, him by himself is also great

Tyler
03-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Forgot about Omni, OLN has been mentioned in this thread but both did a good job as well. I have to say the duo of James Duthie and Lisa LaFlamme worked well to the point those two should be paired up to do one TSN NHL game. Onrait is terrible and so is his regular partner on Sportscentre, that is where TSN brakes down.

You thought Lisa LaFlamme (seriously!?) was GOOD and you don't like Onrait or O'Toole!?!

You're credit in this thread will surely be questioned by everyone.

chalms04
03-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Definitely loved the 3 HD feeds as opposed to CBC's one.

GirlySports
03-01-2010, 12:12 AM
It was great coverage, it's takes many channels to do the olympics right these days.
CBC just doesn't have the resources anymore. CBC Bold? Nobody has that.

Hope it's CTV for good now. I wouldn't even mind if the Believe Instrumental Intro became a fixture for future coverages.

MelBridgeman
03-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Outstanding coverage.

Hemi-Cuda
03-01-2010, 12:37 AM
in past Olympics i'd usually switch between CBC and NBC because the Americans always had much higher broadcast quality. this year though i didn't watch NBC past the opening night ceremonies, CTV did a bang up job and i got to see everything i wanted

pylon
03-01-2010, 12:40 AM

The most memorable quote I ever remember from him was a few years back. They were doing the NHL highlights and Marcel Goc had scored a goal and he said:

"Not ginch, not gaunch.... but Goc...."

I spit out my drink when he said that.

Onrait is awesome. I am surprised he hasn't been picked up by someone stateside by now. He is one of the funniest guys on TV.

cal_guy
03-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah it was always nice to be able to flip through 3 channels and have something different on all 3. When CBC has the games, I can't remember if anyone else shows anything or just them.

CBC usually partnered with TSN for their olympics

in past Olympics i'd usually switch between CBC and NBC because the Americans always had much higher broadcast quality. this year though i didn't watch NBC past the opening night ceremonies, CTV did a bang up job and i got to see everything i wanted

Personally I found CBC HD video quality to be superior to NBC's during the Beijing olympics (the first time I saw the Olympics in HD). Plus CTV was the host broadcaster this year so obviously the quality would be superior. The true test is during the London Olympics.

Hack&Lube
03-01-2010, 12:54 AM
It's kind of funny but throughout the whole Olympics, Don Cherry only appeared for NBC :)

Lil Pedro
03-01-2010, 01:24 AM

Please tell me you forgot to insert green text here?

FlamingInfinity
03-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Now if I could only find the whole Closing Ceremonies on the ctvolympics.com website... I could give them props as well. Seems to have disappeared as soon as it was over.... hm....

jayswin
03-01-2010, 02:00 AM
Onrait is terrible and so is his regular partner on Sportscentre, that is where TSN brakes down.

No, this is where you break down, sir. This is where you break down.

HPLovecraft
03-01-2010, 03:26 AM
Jay Onrait was effing hilarious. Too many hilarious moments to mention. The beaver one was one of the best with the girl saying no one could touch her beaver she loved them so much, and Onrait repeating I'm going to get fired, I'm going to get fired.

Flame On
03-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Indeed great coverage love all the commentators and colour people and hosts. With the exception of Ferraro and Langsberg of course.
Also, how can we forget The Fan. Peter Maher was his Hall of Fame usual self, doing two games in one day with a cold on top and still gave us three yeah babys!!
Steinberg with the huge over time and countless other positives. Way to go.

GreenTeaFrapp
03-01-2010, 07:26 AM
I don't know if I watched anything on Sportsnet. Really that network brought nothing productive to the table since their staff pretty much consists of all the second rate scrubs who can't get hired on by TSN.

GreenLantern
03-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Actually it was 5 channels, OLN and the Aboriginal network were also carrying events.

I was absolutely blown away by the coverage and level of professionalism shown by CTV. They used all of their resources from all their channels and it was just an absolute joy to see the mixing and matching. They did a great job of bringing in elite level athletes to commentate on all of the events as well, helping us the viewer understand what was going on.

Great job and thank you.

TopChed
03-01-2010, 07:59 AM
My fave Onrait quote, came from him doing random baseball highlights. That guy's ridiculous.

"There's only one way for Athletics rookie Danny Putnam to forgive his wife for missing his first major league hit to buy food..... and that's by divorcing her"

GreenLantern
03-01-2010, 08:33 AM
"Come out of your basements and admit defeat, webmasters!"

Jay Onrait, gold...

A2HL0urGz8M

Suzles
03-01-2010, 08:45 AM
I have to say that the only thing I really miss about England is the BBC. Their production and presentation of sporting events is exemplary. And the very best of all is that there are NO ADVERTS at all - none, not one. Gosh, I hate adverts.

mykalberta
03-01-2010, 10:23 AM
The only time I watched NBC was for hockey when I got really tired of Pierre.

Vulcan
03-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Bell was awesome as well

those 5 free HD channels were awesome, and surprisingly necessary during the Sweden/Slovakia quarterfinal hockey game when CTV decided to go to an interview in whistler during the 2nd period.

Yeah, I watched all of Canada's hockey games from Germany onwards on the free HD channel, without having to listen to the announcers. They made me too nervous and I really liked just listening to the hits and the crowd noise with my stereo cranked up. Made me feel almost that I was there.

VANFLAMESFAN
03-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Unthanks to CTV for being so god damn negative in the first week.

UNTHANKS to this post.

God forbid CTV say something negative about Canada underachieving in the first week. It was totally fair comment and they had every right to report it like in that light as well.

Byrns
03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
I have to say that the only thing I really miss about England is the BBC. Their production and presentation of sporting events is exemplary. And the very best of all is that there are NO ADVERTS at all - none, not one. Gosh, I hate adverts.

I guess you miss the TV license too?

hwy19man
03-01-2010, 02:26 PM
You thought Lisa LaFlamme (seriously!?) was GOOD and you don't like Onrait or O'Toole!?!

You're credit in this thread will surely be questioned by everyone.

I was being sarcastic. It is ironic that I have missed the sarcasm in people's posts and now I try to be sarcastic and it flops on me. :) It is all good, I should have put a wink beside the LaFlamme comment. I thought that by saying that she should co-host a NHL game on TSN was a clue for sarcasm.

For the record, I think Duthie in general is bad, LaFlamme should stick to news, O'Toole is good, and Onrait is funny. Onrait's facial expressions are overdone and too frequent but overall, he does good work.

hwy19man
03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
No, this is where you break down, sir. This is where you break down. My bad. :bag: Alcohol tends to make spelling and thinking break down quickly. :D

Suzles
03-03-2010, 07:58 AM
I guess you miss the TV license too?

Best value ever - so no, I don't miss it at all. I think it was about 100 pounds for a year's viewing. I wish Canada had something similar. Top quality programming and no adverts - sweet!

SebC
03-05-2010, 11:09 PM
those 5 free HD channels were awesome, and surprisingly necessary during the Sweden/Slovakia quarterfinal hockey game when CTV decided to go to an interview in whistler during the 2nd period.Yeah, that bugged me. The already had Whistler on the other channel, the come back and boom! Missed the first two goals. A small error on good coverage overall though. Didn't know beforehand that they were going to use Sportsnet, the more channels (that people actually have), the better. A very nice surprise.

Best value ever - so no, I don't miss it at all. I think it was about 100 pounds for a year's viewing. I wish Canada had something similar. Top quality programming and no adverts - sweet!CBC is "similar". :ph34r:

Same idea, poorly executed. The only thing I watch is HNIC.