PDA

View Full Version : What will you remember most?

Hemi-Cuda
02-28-2010, 06:11 PM
after calming down a little after the game and seeing the montages that CTV is putting on, i have to say that what will stick with me the most is that we got to cheer on more champions competing on home soil than any other nation before us in the winter Olympics. 14 gold medalists, and every one was absolutely incredible to watch because of the crowds that were cheering them on

i have never been this attached to an Olympic games, and i doubt i'll ever be again. getting to hear our anthem sung by thousands of people 14 different times for a world audience is awesome beyond words

Eastern Girl
02-28-2010, 06:13 PM
This is gonna be cheesy, but I will remember the most, the way we cheered on all our Canadian athletes, the way we were high fiving each other, and waving our flags proudly everywhere. That was the best part of it all.

... And beating the Americans in both mens and womens hockey. Our game.

Also, Bilodeau and his brother and how awesome that moment was... first gold on home soil.

transplant99
02-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Rochettes short program...unbelievable display of courage and grace in light of what she had experienced 48 hours earlier.

Mind boggling to me.

GirlySports
02-28-2010, 06:14 PM
All the great performances.

I will always die laughing at St. Gelais screaming her lungs out and running down the aisle while the men's race was still going on!

The Goon
The women's two-man bobsleigh teams winning gold and silver this past Wednesday and their pure joy and pride in being Canadian.

Jesse834
rochettes short program...unbelievable display of courage and grace in light of what she had experienced 48 hours earlier.

Mind boggling to me.

x2

bugsy
02-28-2010, 06:15 PM
jumping around like a moron at our place in new zealand when Crosby scored

watching the game with terrible reception and doing the tinfoil/antenna shuffle added an element of, well, tinfoil and antenna shuffling

very stoked for our gals and guys, Van put on a great show, but that final tally had me fist pumping and being ridiculous for the first time since 04

minnow
02-28-2010, 06:16 PM
I agree that this is the most interested in the Olympic games I've been also. It was a great couple of weeks though, sort of a concentrated "be proud Canada" couple of weeks. This feeling of pride is bound to make a lasting impression. It was cool to see people of so many diverse origins wearing the red and white too....and screaming their heads off for all our athletes. Loved it.

Netskot
02-28-2010, 06:17 PM
how depressed I was @ Cheryl Bernard's 2 misses to win gold, especially the 2nd one. I will never forget how wretched I felt, it still makes me sick thinking about it. I was pulling for her the most.

:(

Netskot
02-28-2010, 06:19 PM
jumping around like a moron at our place in new zealand when Crosby scored

watching the game with terrible reception and doing the tinfoil/antenna shuffle added an element of, well, tinfoil and antenna shuffling

very stoked for our gals and guys, Van put on a great show, but that final tally had me fist pumping and being ridiculous for the first time since 04

NZ didn't broadcast the game?

Canuck-Hater
02-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Iginla passing the puck to Crosby from his knees to win the Gold for Canada. The greatest moment by far! I sure hope the Red Mile is in full force right now! The goal that Crosby scored will surpass the Henderson goal of 72 IMO.

getbak
02-28-2010, 06:22 PM
The women's two-man bobsleigh teams winning gold and silver this past Wednesday and their pure joy and pride in being Canadian.
And it kicked off the gold rush that ended the Games.

minnow
02-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Iginla passing the puck to Crosby from his knees to win the Gold for Canada. The greatest moment by far! I sure hope the Red Mile is in full force right now! The goal that Crosby scored will surpass the Henderson goal of 72 IMO.
Yep, I'd like to see a close up of that, was it from his knees or flat out down on the ice? It was Destiny....or was it?

bugsy
02-28-2010, 06:27 PM
NZ didn't broadcast the game?

NZ did broadcast the games, but without Sky Tv, our only option at home is free to air, and for technical reasons beyond my understanding, the free channel airing the games comes through with very spotty reception. Hey, it wasnt bad enough that we felt we couldnt watch it. Just one of those things you put up with overseas from time to time.

The NZ broadcast of the game itself had a UK announcer and (i think) a Canadian colour man. It wasn't the actual NZ crew though, so perhaps was a BBC team. He was calling out Crosby and Iginla incessantly throughout the game. Fair enough or not, it made the goal that small bit sweeter.

WilsonFourTwo
02-28-2010, 06:30 PM
There will be lots to remember, but the 3 that will really stand-out for ages for me are:

1. Iginla, to Crosby, SCORES!
2. Bilodeau and his brother together.
3. The insane number of Olympic Hotties.

getbak
02-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Yep, I'd like to see a close up of that, was it from his knees or flat out down on the ice? It was Destiny....or was it?
http://www.youtube.com/CTVOlympics#p/a/u/0/Jr9j-MRTxz8

Go to about 1:16 in. He was falling as he made the pass. 2:20 has a pretty good close up of Iggy making the pass.

Hipcheck
02-28-2010, 09:12 PM
always having something good on TV to watch. Man that was awesome.

Acey
02-28-2010, 09:14 PM
People driving around with massive flags honking and what not tonight. Pretty out of character for Lethbridge.

Yamer
02-28-2010, 09:21 PM
the gold medal game for sure

but so many different stories make this the most memorable one so far for me

outstanding

3 Justin 3
02-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Cuthbert's call on the Golden Goal.

Excellent call. "Crosby, SCORES" "SIDNEY CROSBY WITH THE GOLDEN GOAL".

Bobby Orr, has "The Goal"
Sidney Crosby has "The Golden Goal".

Now I have to buy a picture of him when he is in beast mode.

Blaster86
02-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Rochette is huge. Like I said in the Luongo thread, Calgarypuck "Lou"ing.

SOMBRI2
02-28-2010, 09:30 PM
(1) time zones...unless the games is on north american soil again, otherwise i won't be attached as much.

(2) from dislike to like: "I believe"

(3) hockey domination

(4) Iginla got benched and not in media's spot light.

MRCboicgy
02-28-2010, 09:30 PM
I'll remember Canadians finally standing up and telling the world how much we rock.

(and reminding them that hockey is our game)

burnin_vernon
02-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Everything. Just everything.

SeeGeeWhy
02-28-2010, 09:41 PM
I'll remember getting a call from my wife while I was eating lunch after she witnessed Nodar going into the posts on the luge track.

I will also remember all of the great memories about our athlete's performance, especially Bilodeau and the Men's Hockey.

I will also remember the pedobear like mascots. But I have a weird memory.

Skate around the circle
02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Security being right over the top,at least they did a good job of dressing up the fences a bit.Some of those venues looked like prisoner of war camps.

troutman
02-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Wayne Gretzky riding in the back of a truck in the rain, with fans running after him - that's one thing I won't forget.

Sainters7
02-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Honestly, for me, I don't think I'll ever forget Jon Montgomery chugging that pitcher on the way from Athlete's Village to the CTV set. That was legendary.

-TC-
02-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Everything. Just everything.

this

it was awesome, I kinda feel a bit empty knowing it's all over

TheyCallMeBruce
02-28-2010, 10:02 PM
I think one of the most memorable events was the 5000m team relay where Hamelin and co switched up strategies and won. That was insanely exciting to me. I had never seen short track speed skating like that before. It was a combination and strategy and skill...very much like a chess match at high speeds. When they switched up their exchanges in those last dozen laps, I was floored at the genius of it all.

burnin_vernon
02-28-2010, 10:05 PM
this

it was awesome, I kinda feel a bit empty knowing it's all over

Same here. I feel like I won't be able to sleep tonight just thinking about how amazing the last 2 weeks were. I'm so restless right now; I don't know what to do with myself. I would never have thought the Olympics could effect me so greatly.

FlamingInfinity
02-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Same here. I feel like I won't be able to sleep tonight just thinking about how amazing the last 2 weeks were. I'm so restless right now; I don't know what to do with myself. I would never have thought the Olympics could effect me so greatly.

I was somewhat on the fence about things, but after about 2 days I was hooked. I was so excited to go downtown and see ALL that I could while it was here. My favourite parts were discovering the Arkells, seeing Inward Eye again, ziplining, and being in Robson Square for the final game. Afterwards, the excitement on Robson and Granville was something else. I can only imagine that is what the Red Mile was like, and I suppose to an extent, it was like Vancouver's 'Red Mile'. So many hugs, high fives, and "WOOOOOOOOO's". So much fun.

I don't know what to do with all my time. I'm kind of disappointed I missed Heineken House, as well as some concerts, but alas, that is life. This is such an exciting event, and if I ever get to go to another, I'm not going to hesitate.

Hemi-Cuda
02-28-2010, 10:21 PM
a friend and I are seriously considering saving up and making the trip to Sochi in 4 years. i wanted to be in Vancouver for these last 2 weeks but just couldn't afford it, but i really want to experience the Olympic atmosphere live at least once before i die

ResAlien
02-28-2010, 10:22 PM
I'll remember the hockey gold. At my folks place, had my daughter there, monumental. Iggy to Sid, GOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!! Loudest I've screamed in a long time. It gets overused, but that was epic.

troutman
02-28-2010, 10:23 PM
a friend and I are seriously considering saving up and making the trip to Sochi in 4 years. i wanted to be in Vancouver for these last 2 weeks but just couldn't afford it, but i really want to experience the Olympic atmosphere live at least once before i die

I was in Germany during the last World Cup, but this seemed better, even from a distance.

Dorkmaster
02-28-2010, 10:25 PM
The How tough are these sports segments featuring Sale Pelletier long track skating and the 1980`s Flames curling against the women`s team.

boogerz
02-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Ask me this question again in four years, haha

Probably Canada's mens ice hockey gold, and Finland's mens ice hockey bronze

pylon
02-28-2010, 10:37 PM
I'll remember the hockey gold. At my folks place, had my daughter there, monumental. Iggy to Sid, GOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!! Loudest I've screamed in a long time. It gets overused, but that was epic.

I instinctively jumped up and started punching the air while screaming "Suck it USA!". Went running at my buddy to high five him, slipped and smashed through the glass on my coffee table. It. Was. Awesome.

My weiner dog however, hid under the bed for about 2 hours terrified from the whole spectacle.

Table 5
02-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Kiira Korpi and the hot Olympians thread will forever remain in my heart.

Frequitude
02-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Standing at the finish line/dismount area of the men's skeleton.

http://i50.tinypic.com/25oymu8.jpg

FanIn80
02-28-2010, 10:43 PM
I'd like to say that it will one of the really touching moments, like Rochette's performance(s) or Bilodeau's win for his brother...

...but I know myself too well. 10 years from now, the only part of these games I'll remember is Iggy-to-Crosby for the gold.

Jetsfan
02-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Iginla to Crosby...GOAL!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/8817/98662-43762-guardian_large.jpg

Winsor_Pilates
02-28-2010, 10:46 PM
The Olympic atmosphere live in person. I was too young to remember Calgary, and this was one of the best times of my life.
Will never forget everything experienced these last 2 weeks.

malcolmk14
02-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Sidney Crosby putting the puck between Miller's legs on an incredible pass from Jarome Iginla, to win the Gold Medal in freaking Overtime against the USA.

How could it be anything else?

Jing
02-28-2010, 11:27 PM
The Olympic atmosphere live in person. I was too young to remember Calgary, and this was one of the best times of my life.
Will never forget everything experienced these last 2 weeks.

I was only able to stay one week but it was worth it. I am glad I was able to experience the atmosphere on home soil.

MelBridgeman
02-28-2010, 11:35 PM
nickleback at closing ceremonies....duh

Hack&Lube
02-28-2010, 11:48 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/b61z0k.jpg

And probably the day I spent in bed watching Women's Snowboard-Cross qualifying runs.

Also Ashleigh McIvor's ski cross run and Medal Ceremony as that was the only one I watched.

Gravitykillr
03-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Rochettes short program...unbelievable display of courage and grace in light of what she had experienced 48 hours earlier.

Mind boggling to me.

As much as it gives me chills watching replays of Crosby scoring, this will easily be the one thing I remember years from now she could have easily packed up and went home and nobody would have blamed her in the slightest instead she keeps it all together and takes home a medal an absolutely amazing story

Hemi-Cuda
03-01-2010, 12:40 AM
http://i50.tinypic.com/b61z0k.jpg

And probably the day I spent in bed watching Women's Snowboard-Cross qualifying runs.

Also Ashleigh McIvor's ski cross run and Medal Ceremony as that was the only one I watched.

god DAMN what an awesome play by Iggy, what a never say die example of him at his best

Sidney Crosby's Hat
03-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Giant Inflatable Beavers.

Reign of Fire
03-01-2010, 02:14 AM
14 golds!!!!

Kidder
03-01-2010, 02:36 AM
I love how Crosby starts taking out his mouthguard per his usual goal celebrations and then you see it sink in... We just won the freaking Gold medal!!! followed by flinging the rest of his equipment in jubilation.

Itse
03-01-2010, 04:28 AM
As a Finnish hockey fan, I would like to remember the third period comeback against Slovaks.

However, I know I will remember the first period meltdown against the US much better. Holy hell...

These were the worst ever winter olympics for Finland anyway I believe, or close to that. Luckily I mostly care about hockey, and all I think we got what we deserved.

Dynamic
03-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Not watching the same #$^% on tv for the last couple weeks. Was just so much fun watching new sports and realizing this only happens once every four years.

I will probably truly regret forever not making it down there for at least a weekend like I wanted. Would of been a long ass drive from Slave Lake but would of been worth it.

SeoulFire
03-01-2010, 08:42 AM
The sheer joy expressed by Bilodeau's brother. Maybe cheesy, maybe sappy, maybe influenced as it was the first gold but this is the one.

Suzles
03-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Oops! Duplicate post

Suzles
03-01-2010, 08:59 AM
I love how Crosby starts taking out his mouthguard per his usual goal celebrations and then you see it sink in... We just won the freaking Gold medal!!! followed by flinging the rest of his equipment in jubilation.

Indeed, the airward flinging of the gloves looked to me like just so much pure joy. A real highlight moment for me. Also driving down the Red Mile afterwards. My husband's truck bedecked with giant Canadian flags and high fiving about a thousand people.

mykalberta
03-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Terrorists are who we thought they were, low brow idiots who didnt do anything durring the games. Thanks alot Bin Laden. If they dont have female flight attendents they can threaten with knives, then they are a non issue at least on this continent.

Phaneuf3
03-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Kiira Korpi

Cowperson
03-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Some highlights for me . . . . .

Alex Bilodeau on CTV, moments after winning gold, near tears as he described the inspiration provided by his cerebral palsy afflicted brother.

The lengthy clip of Marianne St. Gelais going happily and certifably nuts during the short-track speed-skating gold medal race of her boyfriend . . . . . but you haven't seen it until you add in the next morning running commentary of Seamus O'Regan from Canada A.M. Absolutely hilarious.

A key emotional turning point for the Canadian team at these Games, even though we were told ahead of time the second half of the Olympics would be better than the first, was Scott Moir with Tessa Virtue belting out an unabashed, arms extending rendition of "O'Canada" on the medal podium. From that moment on, the Canadian team started to pick up speed.

Jon Montgomery's larger-than-life, beer-swilling walk through Whistler, ending with auctioning off half a pitcher of beer on national television. The headlines should have screamed "Car Salesman/Auctioneer/Everyman Wins Olympic Gold." In that moment, we all wanted to be him. It seemed to one of the other key, emotional turning points for Canada in these Games.

Melissa Hollingsworth's tearful, heartfelt apology to the nation . . . . . wholly unnecessary but we accepted it for it's honesty then gave her a collective hug.

As she settled into her start position, a grimace of pain fleeted across the face of Joannie Rochette, brutally crushed almost immediately as she blanked out the death of her mother for just a few more minutes . . . . . and then skated a flawless performance before melting before our eyes. Her interview with Bob Costas, where she philosophically described her next important duty, teaching her father to look after himself, cooking, cleaning and doing the laundry, "all the things mama had done for us," confirmed her character if we had any doubts.

Jen Heil in a television interview pretending that silver was okay as the tears started to flow, the realization that she wouldn't be the first Canadian to win gold on home soil starting to hit.

The sheer power and co-ordination of the Canadian three-man long-track men's speedskating pursuit team as they rounded that final corner on their way to Gold.

Lindsay Vonn and Julie Mancusco of the USA racing for glory in the brilliant sunshine of the first week, skill and power wrapped in beauty and icy determination.

Biathlon . . . . . I might be the only one who thinks it's an awesome sport.

Mounds of cross-country skiers from all nations laid out in utter exhaustion after every single race.

Ashleigh MacIvor leaning forward, chin in hand and waxing philosophical on brainiac topics with CTV's Brian Williams. I might be smitten . . . . . with MacIvor of course.

The disappearance of all those protestors/anarchists from the first week, hopefully suitably embarrassed.

That America could win a big, big swack of Olympic medals on Canadian soil and we genuinely didn't seem to care much one way or the other. Perhaps we're finally growing up and are getting comfortable in our own skin.

The brilliant reposte in the Closing Ceremonies to the icicle debacle.

Late yesterday morning, the dogs and I were sitting on a hillside west of Turner Valley in brilliant, hot sunshine, the white mountains stretching in front of us, not a breath of wind, just an amazingly, dead quiet, peaceful scene . . . . . reluctantly, very reluctantly I looked at my watch and got up, arriving at home just as the puck was dropping on one of the most intensely pressure-packed hockey games in history. I nearly couldn't take the contrast by the time it was done.

Cowperson

CaptainCrunch
03-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Cheryl Bernard totally having eye sex with me through the T.V.

Oh and Cows stuff.

Winsor_Pilates
03-01-2010, 12:17 PM

Oh and Cows stuff.
Nice try, she was obviously looking at me. :cool:

CaptainReboot
03-01-2010, 12:18 PM
I just loved looking at my PVR guide and seeing 210, 211, 212 displaying nothing but "Winter Olympics" for 2 weeks.

MelBridgeman
03-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Jake Layton with prime camera time at Wayne Gretzky's in Toronto, during the men's hockey goal medal game.

Dorkmaster
03-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Billodeau winning and my cousin booing the Aussie.
Jenn Heil being stuck between two Americans celebrating.
Montgomery drinking his pitcher of beer.
Virtue and Moir dancing 3 wonderful dances.
Shen and Zhao winning after coming out of retirement, China going 1-2.
Being relatively interested in Patrick Chan's philosophy and the quad debate.
Laughing at the commentators description of Weir including Lady Gaga loving.
Cheryl Benard and Kevin Martin playing an excellent tournament. Very sad that the women's team couldn't pull off the gold.
New olympic record, Iggy to Crosby.

Last but not least, the How Tough are these sports segments. Hilarious.

Cowperson
03-01-2010, 12:37 PM

On my daily meanderings of on-line newspapers in North America and abroad, I found a strange, recurring theme seemed to be weaving it's way through coverage . . . . . . prominent middle-aged columnists being smitten by a certain "Vancougar" named Cheryl Bernard, including, as one example, venerable, irascible Bill Plaschke of the LA Times.

She was making eye-love to you all. Apparently.

Cowperson

transplant99
03-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Biathlon . . . . . I might be the only one who thinks it's an awesome sport.

Make it two.

The ability to be able to physically exert oneself to heaving breathing, for XX number of KM's, and then stand or lie completely still while hitting a target the size of a silver dollar with a BB is remarkable to me.

Very cool sport...and I wish we would see it somewhere during non-Olympic years as it is hard to know who is doing well until the inevitable crash-course tutorial from the commentators 10 minutes before they get going.

JiriHrdina
03-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Certainly the Crosby goal stands out- and being able to share a sports moment like that with my fiance. She's not a huge hockey fan but she understood the importance of the game and got caught up in it as much as me. It was fun.

Overall I was impressed with the tremendous turnaround of the Canadian team. It just seemed that the momentum started to pick up and the athletes embraced the pressure instead of letting it crush them.

I really enjoyed the gold from Jasey-Jay Anderson - a guy who knew this was his final crack and came through.

LChoy
03-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Make it two.

The ability to be able to physically exert oneself to heaving breathing, for XX number of KM's, and then stand or lie completely still while hitting a target the size of a silver dollar with a BB is remarkable to me.

Very cool sport...and I wish we would see it somewhere during non-Olympic years as it is hard to know who is doing well until the inevitable crash-course tutorial from the commentators 10 minutes before they get going.

If they want to make Biathlon more fun and exciting, the competitors would be shooting at each other :w00t:

But seriously, Canada really improved during the Olympics. Maybe even better in Sochi

CaptainCrunch
03-01-2010, 01:39 PM
If they want to make Biathlon more fun and exciting, the competitors would be shooting at each other :w00t:

But seriously, Canada really improved during the Olympics. Maybe even better in Sochi

Or hauling this bad boy around for the target shooting

http://world.guns.ru/machine/m60e4.jpg

mykalberta
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Jake Layton with prime camera time at Wayne Gretzky's in Toronto, during the men's hockey goal medal game.

I cant believe I am saying this, but I would rather see his mug in toronto than Cole fricken Harbour.

Seriously, whos bright idea was it that said when we do these across the country celebrating shots we should include Cole fricken Harbour with Vancouver, Toronto, and Kandahar.

Where is the Montreal or Prairie love. Cole fricken Harbour, are you serious.

FunkMasterFlame
05-08-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm a little late to the thread, but my favourite moment of the games by FAR was watching the gold medal game in the dining hall at the Athletes Village in Whistler, and seeing Chef Michael Smith leap to the top of a 12 foot cooler in a patriotic frenzy and frantically wave a Canadian flag while starting a GO CANADA GO chant. That was amazing and looking at the pictures gives me goosebumps all over again.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4158/whistlerolympics2010160.jpg

SebC
05-10-2010, 10:26 PM
That I was there when Crosby scored!