PDA

View Full Version : Michael Owen on the move to Real Madrid

Jagger
08-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Michael Owen leaving Liverpool isn't all that surprising, given that he was entering the last year of his contract and had yet to sign a new one. They simply had to get something for him, although I don't think they really got enough for a striker of his calibre. However, in a few short months he could have signed a pre-contract with Real and then Liverpool would have got nothing.

From Liverpool's perspective I'm actually pleased that he's gone. As a huge LPool fan I obviously liked him as a player but his heart hadn't seemed in it for a while and Liverpool's system revolved around him way too much. Liverpool still have two very good strikers in Cisse and Baros, the top scorer in Euro 2004. Baros deserves his chance. With Pongolle also looking very promising they are good in that position in any case. The areas that required strengthening at Liverpool are the defence and midfield. They have signed a solid defenceman in Josemi and will be receiving a midfielder from Real in part ex for Owen. They are also being linked with a couple more Spanish midfielders.

Arsenal must be very happy that Viera is staying. That is huge for them and they are still very much the team to beat in the EPL. If Liverpool don't win it then I would take the Arse over Chelski and the Scum (ManU) any day of the week.

Flame Of Liberty
08-14-2004, 11:44 AM
I agree with all of this, especially with Baros deserving a real chance with Liverpool. Many fans were surprised how really good he is, given a chance. I have been watching him years ago when he played for Ostrava, he was one of the biggest talents in the Czech Republic.

On a side note, as a Tottenham fan, I am not too pleased Cisse scored his first in a 1-1 draw. All homerism aside though, Baros and Cisse are going to be great for Liverpool.