PDA

View Full Version : The Talking Heads

Dorky Pigs
02-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Before the Canada/Germany game I heard this from the TSN talking heads re: Luongo's starting assignment and I am paraphrasing somewhat.

"This can be Luongo's career defining moment"! This game in the Olympics against Germany will define Luongo's career???? Hyperbole or what!

I hate contemporary sports commentary!

moon
02-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Before the Canada/Germany game I heard this from the TSN talking heads re: Luongo's starting assignment and I am paraphrasing somewhat.

"This can be Luongo's career defining moment"! This game in the Olympics against Germany will define Luongo's career???? Hyperbole or what!

I hate contemporary sports commentary!

Considering that with his current contract extension he won't win a Stanley Cup I don't see how winning the Olympics wouldn't be the defining moment of his career.

evman150
02-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I agreed with them. This is Loungo's chance.

I'll be happy to take the choker label off Loungo if Canada wins gold.

HPLovecraft
02-23-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm pretty sure they meant a potential run in these Olympics, not just that single game.

SebC
02-23-2010, 10:35 PM
I saw the Hockey Central panel walking from Robson Square to the IBC...

Mike F
02-23-2010, 10:39 PM
I didn't see the segment, but I'm betting they were referring to Luongo getting the #1 job for Canada for the remainder of the tournament.

Dorky Pigs
02-23-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm pretty sure they meant a potential run in these Olympics, not just that single game.

Okay, that makes sense! Too bad that they didn't make that clear at the time... unless they did and I missed it with my beer mug in my face.
:D

SOMBRI2
02-23-2010, 11:54 PM
honestly, it's time to past the torch to him for team canada. he is the likely candidate but he must capitalize on this vs germany matchup, although we were talking only about the germans.

there may be a cam ward to emerge again but it's gotta be the guys who are named.

mykalberta
02-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Kypreos is terrible, that is all.

Igottago
02-24-2010, 10:19 AM
I usually defend Pierre McGuire because I like his enthusiasm, but he has been such an annoying twit during these olympics. "Oh my god, look how Crosby tried to stay on side on that play -- what a legendary athlete -- no one is as well conditioned as Sidney". Crosby is a great player, but seriously Pierre, shut the F up. You sound like a raving lunatic.

flip
02-24-2010, 10:20 AM
I've said it several times before but the Bell channels that have no commentary and have the crowd and ice level mics jacked up are awesome.

Spinach
02-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah, it's garbage.

But it's nothing new - "same as it ever was."

Igottago
02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah, it's garbage.

But it's nothing new - "same as it ever was."

Nicely done.

the_professsor
02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
I usually defend Pierre McGuire because I like his enthusiasm, but he has been such an annoying twit during these olympics. "Oh my god, look how Crosby tried to stay on side on that play -- what a legendary athlete -- no one is as well conditioned as Sidney". Crosby is a great player, but seriously Pierre, shut the F up. You sound like a raving lunatic.

You usually defend him? He's only enthusiastic about some guys cause he wants to hook up with them.

He is the single most annoying commentator in the game...and yes I do watch Sportsnet

Locke
02-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Pierre isnt bad, hes just overly enthusiastic, he gets a little too involved, but no one can say that he isnt passionate about hockey.

HPLovecraft
02-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I like MacGuire, so screw all you people!

Henry Fool
02-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Pierre is 100% the reason why I can't bring myself to watch the NA broadcasts.

the_professsor
02-24-2010, 11:12 AM
There's other guys that are passionate about hockey that won't spend a full game ranting about Dion Phaneuf, monsters, science experiments, Hal Gill's long stick, etc.

I think I speak for the majority when I say we just want to watch the game, relax Pierre

red sky
02-24-2010, 11:26 AM
So apparently 3 first liners who are historically over PPG players and currently captain their respective NHL teams = "Science Experiment"

The panel deserve a pistol whip for all the times they used that term.

Smell My Finger
02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
along with plugs like Pang and Kyperos.
Gord Miller's hockey faux pas kill me. Canada scores.
Immediatly "can Canada keep the lead".
Iginla scores his second goal.
Next Iginla shift, "will Iginla get the hatrick"
(Actually No because if he gets another one Bacock will bench him.)
"Luongo looking for the shutout"
Everytime Canada had scored or had a rare PP vs USA. Miller is constantly blabbing about Mike Craig and the braaaaaaap miracle on ice.

What rhetoric will he remind us about tonight vs the Russians? My bet is right after Canada scores will we have to hear "Canada has not beaten the Russians in last 8 straight games"?
"Canada's men have not beaten the Russians since 2005"?
Like we already heard last night towards the end of the German game.
I can't stand bad omen comments when something good just occurred.
Send Gord Miller off the ski jump.

As for Pierre I like his energy. Most of the points he makes are valid and quite often when he makes a suggestion of what adjustment should be made during a game by any team he is doing color for he is usually correct.

AltaGuy
02-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Kypreos is terrible, that is all.

He's pretty funny. I like how Duthie asks a question and Kypreos just answers with whatever comes to mind.

Duthie: What did you think of Luongo's play?
Kypreos: Sometimes a guy just has to play hard in the corners even if that's not what he's used to. I like swiss cheese too.

Barnes
02-24-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't like things! BLAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHKJDTFDUYVLKJFGC

Northendzone
02-24-2010, 12:52 PM
I also love when they latch on to a couple of facts and mention them ad nuasuem for the next five hours.

For instance did you know that the last time the Canadian men's team won the Olympic gold medal for ice hockey they did not have to play the Ruskies.....

Barnes
02-24-2010, 01:04 PM
I once killed a hobo because I was so mad at some comments made by a commentator. I had no place to go to comment on the commentator's comments but now that I found this place where we can all comment on each others comments about the comments made by commentators, I feel those dark days are behind me.

the_professsor
02-24-2010, 01:16 PM
I once killed a hobo because I was so mad at some comments made by a commentator. I had no place to go to comment on the commentator's comments but now that I found this place where we can all comment on each others comments about the comments made by commentators, I feel those dark days are behind me.

forums exist for people to post comments, sometimes about other people's comments. The fact that we're commenting about commentators isn't uncommon. Cmon now

Komskies
02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Pierre was starting to grate on me last night too. On Iggy's 2nd goal his description was something like "Watch Crosby here, watch him skating in, Crosby Crosby. Watch Crosby drive to the net and draw everybody over to him. Staal to Iginla goal. Crosby OMG Sidney Crosby impregnate me! I know you didn't touch the puck on the play, but Iginla's goal was pretty much yours."

Berger_4_
02-24-2010, 01:45 PM
What happened to Chris Cuthbert? I thought when he jumped to TSN he had a stipulation in his contract that said he got to call Canada's games in the Olympics. Or was that just for the gold medal game?

Locke
02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
I like Gord Miller?

the_professsor
02-24-2010, 01:58 PM
He's a gem compared to Mcguire and Lombardius

Cowperson
02-27-2010, 01:20 PM
The New York Times examines the role of Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert in coming history . . . . . yes, even they were surprised to be interviewed on that topic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/27/sports/olympics/27voices.html?ref=olympics

Cowperson

d_phaneuf
02-27-2010, 01:23 PM
What happened to Chris Cuthbert? I thought when he jumped to TSN he had a stipulation in his contract that said he got to call Canada's games in the Olympics. Or was that just for the gold medal game?

just the gold

he has done a couple of the others though

Heavy Jack
02-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Good band