PDA

View Full Version : So that Jarome Iginla guy's pretty good huh?

Cole436
02-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Wish we could get some fourth liners like him

Aleks
02-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Great thread!

bluck
02-23-2010, 09:29 PM
how long till this gets locked? 5 mins? 10 mins? 30 mins?

T@T
02-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Wish we could get some fourth liners like him
Even the worst fourth liners can get an assist once in a while.

Iginla sucks- Mike Babcock

Jaybo
02-23-2010, 09:48 PM
"We don't need Iginla to score goals." - Mike Babcock

Resolute 14
02-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Worth noting that #12 now has two game winning goals.

Clutch! ;)

SebC
02-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Even though Iginla is worth talking about it, starting a thread the way you did generally doesn't lead to intelligent discussion. 1-star thread.

IliketoPuck
02-23-2010, 09:57 PM
I like Jarmoe Iginal

albertGQ
02-23-2010, 10:13 PM
It's Jerome!!!

Thor
02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Liked how at the end of the game, James Duthie said Jerome leads the way with 5 goals for team Canada but that was against Norway and Germany.

Why are people looking for reasons to downplay this guy, some of our own fans and now even after showing his awesomeness on the top line he still needs to be given an aster-ix for leading the team in goals?

GreatWhiteEbola
02-23-2010, 10:23 PM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/052009/1242032359_haters-gonna-hate.gif (http://www.gifbin.com/982918)

fredr123
02-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Nice to see Iggy can still find the back of the net against non-NHL calibre opponents like Norway, Germany and the Oilers.

burning_acid1
02-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Iggy definitely played well. His second goal was a beauty.

henriksedin33
02-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK THE SCIENCE EXPERIMENT IS WORKING, guys! Can anybody verify?

:bag:

burning_acid1
02-23-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK THE SCIENCE EXPERIMENT IS WORKING, guys! Can anybody verify?

I agree - hopefully Babcock doesn't tinker around too much anymore.

T@T
02-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Liked how at the end of the game, James Duthie said Jerome leads the way with 5 goals for team Canada but that was against Norway and Germany.

Why are people looking for reasons to downplay this guy, some of our own fans and now even after showing his awesomeness on the top line he still needs to be given an aster-ix for leading the team in goals?

Because the nitwit TSN guys are worried Babcock won't give them an interview if they pimp Iginla too much.

It's quite clear that Babcock is the weak link for Team Canada, every fan that knows anything about the game can see this! but lets get real, Until Babcock is fired from the NHL he will be treated as a god by the media.

burning_acid1
02-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Because the nitwit TSN guys are worried Babcock won't give them an interview if they pimp Iginla too much.

It's quite clear that Babcock is the weak link for Team Canada, every fan that knows anything about the game can see this! but lets get real, Until Babcock is fired from the NHL he will be treated as a god by the media.

I can't wait to see the Flames can yell at him when he's in town in March

DionPlett
02-23-2010, 10:51 PM

But Duthie, what can you say about that guy? I can't believe he's a host on TSN let alone at the Olympics.

robocop
02-23-2010, 10:52 PM

What's funny is that it's true.... what a freaking dumbass

getbak
02-23-2010, 10:57 PM
I've wanted to make this since I first saw the torch relay commercial. After tonight, I had to do it...

r7qQF3oTv-Q

Coach
02-23-2010, 10:58 PM

Pierre like science!

http://www.wappincomics.com/Vault/Professor%20Al.jpg

Jaybo
02-23-2010, 10:59 PM

What does that say about the rest of the team who played in those same games? Nash should have 6, Marleau should have 8, Heatley should have 9 or 10 and Crosby should have a dozen. Except they don't and Iggy is leading the way.

Wookie
02-23-2010, 11:08 PM
I loved that passing play that they (the line) didn't finish on - that was awesome, rarely see Iginla involved in a Tic Tac Toe like that on the flames.

H2SO4(aq)
02-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Does Jarome's strong play in any way put pressure on Sutter to get him a real centerman? (If not this year then in the offseason I suppose..)

Remember the thread about Iginla being on the decline? Perhaps it is his linemates on the decline and not him..

Ark2
02-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Does Jarome's strong play in any way put pressure on Sutter to get him a real centerman? (If not this year then in the offseason I suppose..)

Remember the thread about Iginla being on the decline? Perhaps it is his linemates on the decline and not him..

Jarome is just having an off-season. I would wait to see another season where he has a significant statistical drop-off before I lable him "declining". Look at Heatley last season. You didn't hear people saying that he was on the decline then, and he certainly isn't on one now.

Vulcan
02-23-2010, 11:28 PM
As great as Iggy was, I really really liked Stahl tonight. Both were better than Crosby but he'll come around, unless Babcock thinks it's time to break them up because they don't fit into his idea of what a great line is.
To me a great coach is one who can adapt to his players, not the other way around.

RougeUnderoos
02-23-2010, 11:32 PM

I love stuff like this.

I disagree with some of the choices he's made, but I find it interesting that while fans like you that know everything about about the game think he's useless, all those guys who know nothing about the game in the NHL think he's one of the best coaches in the league.

His biggest failure over the last few seasons is making it to the conference final. My guess is he won't be fired by the Wings anytime soon and if he is, he'll have a job before he puts the phone down. You'll be waiting a while for that moron Babcock to be "fired from the NHL".

Ark2
02-23-2010, 11:36 PM
I love stuff like this.

I disagree with some of the choices he's made, but I find it interesting that while fans like you that know everything about about the game think he's useless, all those guys who know nothing about the game in the NHL think he's one of the best coaches in the league.

His biggest failure over the last few seasons is making it to the conference final. My guess is he won't be fired by the Wings anytime soon and if he is, he'll have a job before he puts the phone down. You'll be waiting a while for that moron Babcock to be "fired from the NHL".

The NHL and this tournament are two different animals. At any rate, this guy has made some pretty baffling decisions, so simply because he knows more than the average CP poster should not put him above criticism.

moon
02-23-2010, 11:38 PM
I love stuff like this.

Those NHL guys were just fooled by the fact that he can only win with a stacked Detroit Red Wings team.

If it weren't for that stacked Red Wings team that, other coaches couldn't win with, he would never have won at Red Deer College, University of Lethbridge, Spokane or Anaheim.

The guy has clearly shown over his successful career that he is solely the product of a stacked Wings team.

It isn't the fault of the smartest people in hockey to understand that. It takes internet nerds to get past he sneaky trick of riding the coat tails of that Red Wings team to get all of the success that he has over his career.

CSharp
02-23-2010, 11:48 PM

Probably in his mind, he's also thinking, we don't need to play Iggy all that much either --> total dumb-ass! And look what Iggy's done. He's the leading scorer in the whole tournament and playing a quarter of the minutes he's used to playing?!? WTF???

SOMBRI2
02-23-2010, 11:56 PM
one game doesn't 'un-idiot' babcock.

RougeUnderoos
02-24-2010, 12:28 AM
The NHL and this tournament are two different animals. At any rate, this guy has made some pretty baffling decisions, so simply because he knows more than the average CP poster should not put him above criticism.

Who said he's above criticism?

I think he's made a couple wrong decisions too.

I was responding to the dumb remark that anyone who doesn't believe he's a "weak link" propped up by the media knows nothing at all about hockey.

Should Jarome have been playing with Crosby since the first puck dropped? I think so. Does that mean Babcock is an idiot, a dumbass or a weak link? I don't think so. Do you?

The guy has been an NHL coach for the last six years and he's been to the Finals 3 times, winning once. Not too shabby. I wish the Flames had a fool like him coaching since 2004.

CGY12
02-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Jarome has scored 10 goals in his olympic career for Team Canada. That has to lead all Canadian NHL olympians since NHLers were allowed to compete in the winter olympics. Can anybody confirm this?

Jagger
02-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Babcock is a fine coach with excellent credentials. He's certainly not the ###### that some of you are portraying him as.

I remember watching his Red Deer College team on my first visit to Canada WAAAY back in 1989 IIRC. They were a well oiled machine out there, obviously very well coached. His Spokane team were really tough to play against, again very well coached.

With that said, I have struggled with some of his decisions at the Olympics, thus far. His handling of Iginla has been baffling at best. His use of the struggling duo of Perry and Getzlaf is insane to my eyes. Pronger has been a pylon out there but is utilized at the worst possible times. I'm not sure why he has persisted with some of this madness. A little inexperience at this level where you pretty much have zero time to create chemistry and gel as a team perhaps?

I truly hope he sticks with his lines now. There's no point switching them up yet again when the Russians come calling tomorrow. Suck it up, Mike. You were wrong: you actually do need Iginla's goals, quite badly actually.

AC
02-24-2010, 01:13 AM
Jarome has scored 10 goals in his olympic career for Team Canada. That has to lead all Canadian NHL olympians since NHLers were allowed to compete in the winter olympics. Can anybody confirm this?
Yes. Since 1998, Iginla has 10 goals while Sakic and Heatley have 6 each for 2nd place.

FanIn80
02-24-2010, 01:18 AM
I've wanted to make this since I first saw the torch relay commercial. After tonight, I had to do it...

r7qQF3oTv-Q

Yes!

Ren
02-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Yes. Since 1998, Iginla has 10 goals while Sakic and Heatley have 6 each for 2nd place.

But Iginla only scores against bad teams so it doesn't count.

Coach
02-24-2010, 01:31 AM
But Iginla only scores against bad teams so it doesn't count.

I assume youre being sarcastic.

but in case thats a no, except for the 2 in the gold medal game in 2002. It was actually 3 as he clearly tipped in Sakics goal

CGY12
02-24-2010, 01:42 AM
I assume youre being sarcastic.

but in case thats a no, except for the 2 in the gold medal game in 2002. It was actually 3 as he clearly tipped in Sakics goal

I've asked Iggy about this, he said he didn't tip it.

Coach
02-24-2010, 01:48 AM
I've asked Iggy about this, he said he didn't tip it.

He's just too nice to take it away from Sakic lol

Kesler17
02-24-2010, 01:50 AM
Yea eh

Deelow
02-24-2010, 02:11 AM
I love stuff like this.

Trip to the Memorial Cup, 3 trips to the cup final. One with freaking Anaheim. 1 World Jr. Gold, 1 World Championship gold. That's all fine and dandy, I bet he can't drive a tractor.

pylon
02-24-2010, 02:36 AM
I think Jermoe Ingnal is pretty cool guy, eh scores against teh Germany and doesn't afraid of commies.

HotHotHeat
02-24-2010, 02:44 AM
2 star thread why?

browna
02-24-2010, 02:49 AM
2 star thread why?

Babcock's signed up to CP, logged on, and rated this thread.

Lowe too.

AC
02-24-2010, 02:54 AM
For those wondering about all time Team Canada (NHL players) stats, I made this:

http://www.recklesscaution.com/TeamCanadaOlympics.xlsx

Sakic leads with 13 points (Iginla has 12), but Iginla leads with 10 goals (Heatley and Sakic have 6).

Tsawwassen
02-24-2010, 04:26 AM
Iginla is Canada's MVP, end of story.

Geeoff
02-24-2010, 06:29 AM
All I know is, Jarome better play like this for the Flames.

GreenLantern
02-24-2010, 07:09 AM

r7qQF3oTv-Q

This should be in its own thread for everyone to see..most people might just open and close this thread.

red sky
02-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Not to discredit Iggy's play last night but I thought he was a bit too stationary in the attacking zone. He seemed to be just waiting for the puck to get to him in the slot instead of moving his feet and trying to get open. Iggy plays best when he is skating hard which helps his board play. He gave up the puck a few times in Ze Germans zone and also in trying to enter the zone. There is still room for improvement for Iggy and that is what is scary.

One thing I will note however is that he has been skating extremely hard on the back check to take away odd man opportunities. Hope that translates back into his game when he rejoins the Flames.

Radically Red
02-24-2010, 07:27 AM
what was with the Maquire love in with Crosby.. he spent more time talking about his drive to the net on Igg's 2nd goal then on the Pass Staal made and the Shot by Iggy.

He could not stop gushing about Crosby on that play...

Erick Estrada
02-24-2010, 07:40 AM
what was with the Maquire love in with Crosby.. he spent more time talking about his drive to the net on Igg's 2nd goal then on the Pass Staal made and the Shot by Iggy.

He could not stop gushing about Crosby on that play...

I noticed that as well. Jarome makes a perfect shot and it's all about Crosby going to the net. There was also the Thornton goal where all he talked about Keith purposely shooting wide like it was genius when he really only did it because the shooting lane was taken away and it's a play Bouwmeester and many defensemen do every night. I'm not a McGuire hater but I'm starting to find his continued overemphasis of minor stuff annoying to the point where I wish I could just mute him out completely.

frostiex
02-24-2010, 07:43 AM

I guess he is right...but did anyone else score 5 goals against Germany and Norway?:D

AltaGuy
02-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Not to discredit Iggy's play last night but I thought he was a bit too stationary in the attacking zone. He seemed to be just waiting for the puck to get to him in the slot instead of moving his feet and trying to get open. Iggy plays best when he is skating hard which helps his board play. He gave up the puck a few times in Ze Germans zone and also in trying to enter the zone. There is still room for improvement for Iggy and that is what is scary.

One thing I will note however is that he has been skating extremely hard on the back check to take away odd man opportunities. Hope that translates back into his game when he rejoins the Flames.

The pressure on the backcheck is partly due to Iggy always standing around in the high slot looking for that one-timer. It is pretty much a third man high. It also opens up a lot of room for Staal and Crosby to go to work down low, as defenders always seem to congregate around Iggy.

I bet Babcock hates it though, as he loves the net presence, and Iggy isn't really providing that standing around up by the hashmarks.

In the end, hey - it seems to work, and has some good defensive results as well.

flames_1987
02-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Babock's way of complimenting Iginla

“I thought that line was really good tonight,” said head coach Mike Babcock. “Iggy’s played on and off the whole tournament. I thought Staal was very effective tonight. I liked that line, for sure.”

He's played ON more then any other Canadian forward and done so with limited ice time and a very short leash. This does however count as the most positive thing he's thrown Iggy's way all tournament long.

Vinny01
02-24-2010, 07:59 AM

“I thought that line was really good tonight,” said head coach Mike Babcock. “Iggy’s played on and off the whole tournament. I thought Staal was very effective tonight. I liked that line, for sure.”

He's played ON more then any other Canadian forward and done so with limited ice time and a very short leash. This does however count as the most positive thing he's thrown Iggy's way all tournament long.

Maybe he thinks he has to light a constant fire under Iggy's ass to get him going? Otherwise he is just an idiot and a racist

Cowperson
02-24-2010, 08:05 AM

Babcock seems to be saying Iginla has been dynamite in beat-up's of two inferior teams, so he's not going to get too excited about it until it happens when it matters.

There's no better time to see Big Game Iginla than tonight. If he doesn't like Babcock's indifference, now's the time to do something about it.

Cowperson

Ducay
02-24-2010, 08:07 AM
He's just covering his tracks. He can't be all "JARMOE IS SAVIUR", without looking like a tool for criticizing him after game 2.

flames_1987
02-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Babcock seems to be saying Iginla has been dynamite in beat-up's of two inferior teams, so he's not going to get too excited about it until it happens when it matters.

There's no better time to see Big Game Iginla than tonight. If he doesn't like Babcock's indifference, now's the time to do something about it.

Cowperson

While I can appreciate that and agree with you talking about Jarome's need for a big game tonight. He also wasn't given a chance to really produce against Canada's toughest opponent being relegated to the 4th line for 2/3 of the game and then when given an opportunity his line was easily the best on the ice.

If he's going to take the honest approach way with reports on players performances, where have the comments been on Nash, Getzlaf, Perry, Neidamyer?

Jason14h
02-24-2010, 08:19 AM
If you're not a Shark or Duck Babcock doesn't compliment you ;)

megatron
02-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Jarome has been the best player given his ice time in this tournament IMO.

Crosby and Staal looked great on HIS line. I hope the success continues and Babcock and can keep his ego in check long enough for them to dominate the rest of the games.

Steve Bozek
02-24-2010, 08:58 AM

He needs a centreman, but I think what we're seeing in the Olympics is how well he can score when the opposing team is not able to put their main defensive effort into stopping Iginla.

Maybe Wilson is right in calling the Flames a one-trick pony - the Olympic team, despite the media focus on Crosby, is not a one-trick pony.

transplant99
02-24-2010, 09:08 AM

Cowperson

I guess that may be fair criticism, but then I think it should apply even moreso to Crosby and about 12 other forwards.

Babcock has really surprised me with his indifference to one of the guys wearing a letter on his jersey on a team that has nothing but guys that wear letters on their jersies in the NHL.

Not sure why this is happening other than maybe Babcock has seen Iginla from the other side of the rink many times and thought he was not very effective against his guys. Its just plain weird to me.

GreenLantern
02-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Man that video gives me goose bumps, put it in its own thread it will go down in history I am telling ya!

Textcritic
02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Babcock seems to be saying Iginla has been dynamite in beat-up's of two inferior teams, so he's not going to get too excited about it until it happens when it matters...
Perhaps, but it seems very strange to me that Babcock has been highly complimentary of a number of players throughout this tournament (Crosby, Nash, Staal, Toewes, etc.), and yet seems to be incapable of saying anything good about Iginla without some sort of qualifier. Iginla is presently Canada's leading goal scorer in this tournament and the highest goal-scoring Canadian in Olympic competition. Given how the entire team has performed, does it not seem strange that the coach cannot find it within himself to compliment his best goal scorer in the media?

browna
02-24-2010, 09:29 AM
I noticed that as well. Jarome makes a perfect shot and it's all about Crosby going to the net. There was also the Thornton goal where all he talked about Keith purposely shooting wide like it was genius when he really only did it because the shooting lane was taken away and it's a play Bouwmeester and many defensemen do every night. I'm not a McGuire hater but I'm starting to find his continued overemphasis of minor stuff annoying to the point where I wish I could just mute him out completely.

Yeah, McGuire likes to pat himself on the back as he makes some generalized statement earlier in the game and then goes back to it over and over when it happens again.

He's going a bit overboard in this Olympics with it, in addition to, as you say, make a bigger deal of some things that happen in everyday NHL, as if its special to the games in the Olympics and the players in the Olympics.

As for the Crosby extra attention, that's not surprising. His love for that play is him trying to appear more analytical and thus more aware of just the goal scoring for the casual CTV audience. Problem is for that goal, there's no analysis...a good pass for sure, but that rocket shot was reason #1 for that goal, no matter if there was any Canadian player going to the net or not.

FanIn80
02-24-2010, 09:32 AM
In spite of what Babcock thinks about him, had last night's game been the gold medal game, Jarome Iginla would have been named tournament MVP.

Not bad for a 4th line grinder averaging a handful of minutes each game.

mykalberta
02-24-2010, 09:38 AM
5 goals against Norway and Germany.

Norway and Germany
Germany and Norway
Norway and Germany
Germany and Norway
Normany and Gerway

Ark2
02-24-2010, 09:39 AM
In spite of what Babcock thinks about him, had last night's game been the gold medal game, Jarome Iginla would have been named tournament MVP.

Not bad for a 4th line grinder averaging a handful of minutes each game.

Good point. If Canada wins the Gold, I think Jarome is only one or two more strong performances away from being named MVP. Babcock would be beside himself.

Textcritic
02-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Good point. If Canada wins the Gold, I think Jarome is only one or two more strong performances away from being named MVP. Babcock would be beside himself.

In the event that that were to happen, I could just envision the post-game response from the coach:

Mike Babcock: "Yeah, Jarome was good, but we had a lot of great performances tonight. I thought that *insert player's name who spent a lot of time in the corners but went pointless* had a real good game. That MVP really could have gone to another five or six guys; really, it's a team award.

Jimdon
02-24-2010, 09:44 AM
5 goals against Norway and Germany.

Norway and Germany
Germany and Norway
Norway and Germany
Germany and Norway
Normany and Gerway

Just to clarify, how many goals does the rest of the team have against Germany and Norway, must be way more the way Iggy gets disrespected, if the rest of the team is so great, I'm sure that there is someone who's scored more... right?

JustAnotherGuy
02-24-2010, 09:44 AM

I downplay him because if you watch him he is a floater. He bounces off of people instead of going through them like the old days. Hence 5 goals against the weaker teams and none against the more talented teams. I predict tonight. No goals and maybe a couple second assists.

Ark2
02-24-2010, 09:47 AM
I downplay him because if you watch him he is a floater. He bounces off of people instead of going through them like the old days. Hence 5 goals against the weaker teams and none against the more talented teams. I predict tonight. No goals and maybe a couple second assists.

Jarome spent most of his limited ice time playing on the 4th line during the games against the US and the Swiss. This is Jarome Iginla guys. Do people actually think that he doesn't show up against tough opponents?

Timbo
02-24-2010, 09:57 AM
And yet again the bandwagon overflowith :whistle:
I am A
Flames Fan
Team Canada Fan
Iginla Fan

But come on... Norway and Germany were akin to going to a preschool and picking a fight. After which all the self proclaimed pundits start claiming "look at the champ he's back he's back".

Big players step up in big games... PERIOD so guess what... tonights a big game against big boys not pre freakin schoolers.
Stay tuned

FanIn80
02-24-2010, 09:57 AM
This is Jarome Iginla guys. Do people actually think that he doesn't show up against tough opponents?

Welcome to CP, home of the weekly "Trade Iggy" thread.

mykalberta
02-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Just to clarify, how many goals does the rest of the team have against Germany and Norway, must be way more the way Iggy gets disrespected, if the rest of the team is so great, I'm sure that there is someone who's scored more... right?

Players show their worth in big games, not 8-2 games, vs SUI and USA he played average.

If he doesnt play mean, he isnt effective because he isnt the fastest guy on the ice, but he is likely the toughest and he needs to play that way. I think that is what Babcock is trying to do by downplaying him is to get him angry Iggy Hulk style. He should be powering through these Euro panzies not trying to finesse things.

fredr123
02-24-2010, 10:19 AM
If Heatley wouldn't have been such a ###### and changed when the rest of his linemates got off, it could have been Iginla in front of the net with the chance to bang home a loose puck against the USA. Does Babcock's opinion of Iginla change then?

Ifs and buts, candies and nuts. I know.

Textcritic
02-24-2010, 10:22 AM
...But come on... Norway and Germany were akin to going to a preschool and picking a fight. After which all the self proclaimed pundits start claiming "look at the champ he's back he's back"...
• Sweden scored two goals against Germany courtesy of Ohlund and Eriksson
• Finland scored five against Germany (Pitkanen, Ruutu, Ruutu, Timonen x2)
• The US scored six against Norway (Kessel, Drury, Kane Malone and Rafalski x2)
• Slovakia scored 4 against Norway in playoff action (Zednik, Gaborik, Handzus, Satan)

Let's remember that prior to yesterday's game Iginla was shuffled through lines virtually every period and received very limited ice-time. I think everyone is keenly aware that the opposition was marginal, but everyone in this tournament is playing against the same teams, and Iginla is still the tournament leader in goals with 5 and in the top three for points.

Big players step up in big games... PERIOD so guess what... tonights a big game against big boys not pre freakin schoolers.
Stay tuned
It is not like Iginla is any stranger to "big games". Furthermore, I think that it is fair to say that for the majority of this tournament he has looked very good. I don't think the optimism and excitement surrounding his play this past week and last night is at all premature or inappropriate.

sa226
02-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't really know what people think Iggy is.....but I don't think he has ever been a prototypical "Power forward" he is what 6ft 215lbs? in todays game that isn't exactly huge, heck thats not much bigger than Boyd.

To me he has been more of a Hybrid forward, I don't remember him flattening people or completely over powering anybody even in his prime.

My favorite memories of Iggy are when he would use a combination of strength and quickness to shake off seemingly 3 defenders and take it to the net, I think he has patented that half spin move off the half boards.

He doesn't have the reach of Nash or Thornton so he isn't quite as good at protecting the puck.

He has always had a knack as a puck hunter and finding open spots to receive a pass.

With Crosby and Stall much of the puck posession is taken care of on that line. Iggy just needs to win the battles that come to him and find the open spots and the rest will take care of itself.

Jarome is made for games like tonight, if he gets ample opportunity to do damage he will do it I don't care if its Russia or Mexico, Iggy has to get the opportunity to make an impact.

For this game I think the go to guys will have to be established early on, there is no time left to let Getzlaf and Perry figure things out or Thornton or Heatly dissapear. If the only two lines that are doing anyhting are the Crosby line and the Toews line, then you go to them.

Textcritic
02-24-2010, 10:44 AM
...For this game I think the go to guys will have to be established early on, there is no time left to let Getzlaf and Perry figure things out or Thornton or Heatly dissapear. If the only two lines that are doing anyhting are the Crosby line and the Toews line, then you go to them.
To be fair, I think the SJ line was better last night (hell, Thornton scored a GOAL!), and I'm wondering how much this had to do with the much more even distribution of ice-time. I agree about Getzlaf and Perry; Heatley was playing more shifts on the line with Getzlaf and Nash in the latter half of the Germany game, so I wonder if tonight we will see steady doses of

Staal - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Toews - Richards
Marleau - Thornton - Heatley or Nash - Getzlaf - Heatley

I wouldn't be surprised to see Heatley double-shifted, but I'm hoping that Perry sees a limited amount of icetime tonight. He has been pretty consistently useless.

Timbo
02-24-2010, 10:53 AM
• Sweden scored two goals against Germany courtesy of Ohlund and Eriksson
• Finland scored five against Germany (Pitkanen, Ruutu, Ruutu, Timonen x2)
• The US scored six against Norway (Kessel, Drury, Kane Malone and Rafalski x2)
• Slovakia scored 4 against Norway in playoff action (Zednik, Gaborik, Handzus, Satan)

Let's remember that prior to yesterday's game Iginla was shuffled through lines virtually every period and received very limited ice-time. I think everyone is keenly aware that the opposition was marginal, but everyone in this tournament is playing against the same teams, and Iginla is still the tournament leader in goals with 5 and in the top three for points.

I like that he has the most goals however I believe taking stock on a "free for all" does not make the second coming. :)

It is not like Iginla is any stranger to "big games". Furthermore, I think that it is fair to say that for the majority of this tournament he has looked very good. I don't think the optimism and excitement surrounding his play this past week and last night is at all premature or inappropriate.

Tonight is a big game and yes he has attended and contributed to many "big games"
However I do not think for one instance that Canada would not have won against Norway and Germany if Iggy was not playing.
I believe we are stronger with him than without yet I want to see this prevail more so against tougher opponents NOW.
His past international performance is of course without reproach.

Nothing would make me happier then to see Iginla be a dominant force in this game. And nothing would make me happier than to have my previous post shoved back down my throat if it means Team Canada and Iginla success:D

I require more proof than Norway and Germany.

Azure
02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I have to admit, Heatley has been pretty good in the Olympics.

Too bad he's stuck playing with someone who has never been able to bring it in big games.

Textcritic
02-24-2010, 11:30 AM
^
Agreed. I'm hoping he gets time with both Nash and Getzlaf and the SJ line; he seems to make them both work.

AltaGuy
02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
^
Agreed. I'm hoping he gets time with both Nash and Getzlaf and the SJ line; he seems to make them both work.

Yeah, Nash opens up a lot of room that a guy like Heatley can take advantage of. Heatley is great at finding himself around the net without anyone in sight, and a guy like Nash who just bulls himself around makes that scenario just that much more likely.

Henry Fool
02-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Heatley is always super scary to play against in international tournaments. Maybe the scariest goal-scorer in them, period.

Timbo
02-24-2010, 11:38 AM
^^^^:ot: can we please get back to praising or putting down Iggy! :D

Smell My Finger
02-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Staal Crosby Iginla
SJ line
Duck line with Nash
Morrow Toews Richards

Oh ya and Iginla is a Canadian hockey Icon.
Samsung and Nike knew who to put their money behind for the Olympics.

Jimdon
02-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Players show their worth in big games, not 8-2 games, vs SUI and USA he played average.

If he doesnt play mean, he isnt effective because he isnt the fastest guy on the ice, but he is likely the toughest and he needs to play that way. I think that is what Babcock is trying to do by downplaying him is to get him angry Iggy Hulk style. He should be powering through these Euro panzies not trying to finesse things.

That doesn't answer my question. How many goals do the other players have in those games? I'm talking about the players that played so much better than him in this tournament.

I understand your argument that Iggy scores his goals against weaker teams, but if he's so terrible how come nobody else is scoring as many as him?

tvp2003
02-24-2010, 12:17 PM
None of this Germany/Norway stuff will matter when Iggy pops a hatty against the Russians. Go Canada!

HPLovecraft
02-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Iggy scored his goals against weaker teams because those were the only games Babcock utilized him correctly instead of benching him or sticking him into a grinder role.

grambo
02-24-2010, 12:21 PM

Is there a youtube vid of Babcock saying that garbage? I've read the quote but would love to see a vid.

GreenLantern
02-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Staal Crosby Iginla
SJ line
Duck line with Nash
Morrow Toews Richards

Oh ya and Iginla is a Canadian hockey Icon.
Samsung and Nike knew who to put their money behind for the Olympics.

Crosby has his own clothing line with Reebok, Iginla has an existing deal with Nike. They just took advantage of an opportunity.

WilsonFourTwo
02-24-2010, 02:39 PM

Putting an asterisks beside Iggy's name because he scored against "Weak Teams" is as smart as putting an asterisks beside Babcock's name because he inherited gifted NHL Teams.

Ya, both are true, but they only tell part of the story.

CMPunk
02-24-2010, 04:43 PM
He's been playing well...but I'll be more impressed if he steps up in a big game, rather then lighting up the lesser lights

Ren
02-24-2010, 04:45 PM
He's been playing well...but I'll be more impressed if he steps up in a big game, rather then lighting up the lesser lights

Would be nice if Babcock would actually give him a chance on the top line against good teams instead of yo-yo'ing him between the 1st and 4th lines.

Sylvanfan
02-24-2010, 05:07 PM
With the player Iginla is right now I think he's far better suited to be a trigger man on a line with other impact players than to be an energy 4th line guy. Iginla no longer has the ability to dominate other elite players one or one consistantly or that extra step to get around a defenceman like he once did. This isn't NHL style hockey where you send your 4th line out to start a fight and beat the tar out of another teams player.

Iginla still shoots the puck as well as he ever did. Get him with the likes of Crosby and Staal who can beat defenders and draw coverage from the other team and I think he can still score goals.

Ark2
02-25-2010, 12:29 AM
With the player Iginla is right now I think he's far better suited to be a trigger man on a line with other impact players than to be an energy 4th line guy. Iginla no longer has the ability to dominate other elite players one or one consistantly or that extra step to get around a defenceman like he once did. This isn't NHL style hockey where you send your 4th line out to start a fight and beat the tar out of another teams player.

Oh give it a rest. Iginla is still capable of that. The guy is 32, not 50 like some people are making him out to be.