PDA

View Full Version : Moir/Virtue get bashed from competitors: "They are not real dancers".

OILFAN #81
02-23-2010, 11:29 AM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/figure_skating/news?slug=ro-icedance022210&prov=yhoo

Moir/Virtue get bashed from the Russians who finished 3rd and the Italians who finished 5th.

“When you compete in your home country the crowd goes crazy and it can help the skaters,” said Scali, who placed fifth with his partner Federica Faiella (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/ita/federica+faiella/1013170/;_ylt=AqKrZh2RA.7Dh9guHWB9p08LlgY6). “I hope that it does not affect the judges.
“I don’t agree with the system. They [Virtue and Moir] are not real dancers. They are very technical and don’t really ‘dance’ on the ice.”

Bronze medalist Shabalin, who along with partner Oksana Domnina (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/rus/oksana+domnina/1000356/;_ylt=AmPUZNEfl02juN.dAqssGbQLlgY6) finished third in Monday’s free dance, also questioned the result.

The Americans backed up the Canadians though:

But there was nothing but support from Belbin and Agosto, and runners-up Meryl Davis (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/usa/meryl+davis/1023635/;_ylt=AkgVgxsP5FjsdWhLph5dYZcLlgY6) and Charlie White (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/usa/charlie+white/1023633/;_ylt=AlRVkCVnJ0a_w.VnM6hODBALlgY6), also Americans.
“The Canadians are our friends and it is an incredible achievement for them to win a gold medal,” White said. “The atmosphere of the crowd was amazing and they reacted to them. They are worthy winners.”

Mccree
02-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Sounds a lot like poor sports to me.

JayP
02-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I agree. It's a shame the new judging system doesn't allow for the usual bribes that put Russians on the top of the podium.

North East Goon
02-23-2010, 11:32 AM
I didnt see a difference between the 20th ranked pair right on up to #1? Hence, Ice Dancing - not a sport!

TheyCallMeBruce
02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Haha, Russia. The biggest joke in this year's skating events. First time the Russian powerhouses do not win a gold medal. Don't be such sore losers.

RedHot25
I'm not versed enough in figure skating - thankfully! - to say whether or not there is any merit to the claims, but is this not becoming what is said after every competition it seems? Its almost as common place as a bad Dion Phaneuf interview.

Puppet Guy
the shiny new neckaces Moir and Virtue are wearing says it all, chumps!

Joborule
I don't know figure skating and ice dancing at all, and when I'm impressed by they way they performed, I think that says something.

burning_acid1
02-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Sounds like they were just jealous!

HPLovecraft
02-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Maybe they should have joined a non-judged sport if they don't like it. I am sure the Russians will win gold in 2014 in Sochi, anyway.

V
02-23-2010, 11:37 AM
I have no idea what they did that was so special, but our resident expert MRCboi was pretty estatic, so I'll take that for what it's worth.

GirlySports
02-23-2010, 11:43 AM
more proof we should always cheer for americans ahead of europeans in sport.

Yamer
02-23-2010, 11:46 AM
They have to get over the fact that the judging system in figure skating has changed.

The Russians definitely looked sour on the podium.

valo403
02-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Typical Russian response in figure skating it seems, Plushenko has awarded himself a 'Platinum medal" after his 2nd place finish to go along with his moaning over the last week.

troutman
02-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Cause your friends don't dance
And if they don't dance
Well they are no friends of mine

Kerplunk
02-23-2010, 11:53 AM
So they are bitter because they changed how the "sport" is marked and they haven't clued in yet?

Bingo
02-23-2010, 11:53 AM
if I'm not summarizing properly let me know ...

Russians robbed in men's because the judging wasn't technical enough.
Russians robbed in ice dancing because the judging was too technical.

:)

Ace Handy
02-23-2010, 11:55 AM
What happened to good sportsmanship? After Bilodeau's win, the losers slam him and question the results. Plushenko calls men who don't do a quad "not men" and now losers in ice dancing are calling the winners "not real dancers"? Not really impressed with the athletes in these games when it comes to sportsmanship at all.

Bertuzzied
02-23-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm glad they won, but Moir seems to be a bit of an ass.

Meelapo
02-23-2010, 11:58 AM
The Russians might want to watch their performance. They looked very slow when doing moves. I don't watch ice dancing at all (except for last night) and I could even see flaws.

Imported_Aussie
02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
This is the first time the gold medal in this sport has been awarded to a non-Euro country, the top 2 Euro teams question the result, the other top 2 north american teams support it...looks to me like a continental divide here. whether its pure envy or there is something that can be substantiated behind it, I don't know, but as an outsider, the two best routines that i saw finished 1st and 2nd.
Virtue and Moir just looked so fluid on the ice, i think my girlfriend said it best: they looked not like two skaters dancing, but one body on the ice.

Kerplunk
02-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Just watched some of the replay of the Canadians skate...looks like a dance to me, and seemed more interesting than the Russians one.

Smell My Finger
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Glad to hear they won the Gold. The first Canadians to win a gold in this ever.
I have no idea how the judging is done in this sport so I will assume they were great. Congrats.

Yamer
02-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately we should have expected this. With such a large pool of athletes here there were bound to be some that claimed hometown favoritism. Unjustly so, but they crop up in every judged event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BxfpbyV-uc

Phaneuf3
02-23-2010, 12:09 PM
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff51/Kilberg1/Double%20Takes/bGjfANdAGj9t1y81lIVqe3uKo1_500.gif

yads
02-23-2010, 12:19 PM
It's like any other sport. Competitors are going to play to their strengths. If the Canadian's strength is technicality, then that is what they will be focusing on. If the Russian's strength is artistic performance then that is what they will be focusing on. Silly argument on the Russian's part.

Schmidtyboosh
02-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm glad they won, but Moir seems to be a bit of an ass.

WHY? Cause he has some swagger? Maybe if our other athletes had attitudes and wanted to WIN like him, we'd have more medals.

I can't believe I just defended a male figure skater. But whats worse is that he has bigger cahonez and desire to win then most of our other male athletes.

Moir - I salute you!

BigFlameDog
02-23-2010, 12:35 PM
WHY? Cause he has some swagger? Maybe if our other athletes had attitudes and wanted to WIN like him, we'd have more medals.

I can't believe I just defended a male figure skater. But whats worse is that he has bigger cahonez and desire to win then most of our other male athletes.

Moir - I salute you!

I could be wrong but I think you got Bertuzzied and the hook is still in your mouth.....did I mention I could be wrong :)

And also...reading reports from all over the interweb and everyone thinks the gold medals went where they belong...complete sour grapes....and suckage.

You Need a Thneed
I know pretty much nothing about Ice Dancing, but Virtue/Moir were CLEARLY the best on the ice, and it wasn't close.

When it's obvious enough that someone who knows nothing about the sport can clearly see which dance was the best...

Hammertime
It's not the first time, it won't be the last time. C'est la vie in judged events.

Northendzone
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
i had heard that Johnny Wier said too much prancing, not enough dancing.

oldschoolcalgary
02-23-2010, 12:39 PM
sour grapes for sure...

meanwhile former gold medal winner for England and BBC commentator Robin Cousins think that Moir and Virtue could "make people forget about Torville and Dean"...

the problem with dance was that it was so subjective before; the technical aspects required actually add legitimacy to the sport.

Bertuzzied
02-23-2010, 12:41 PM

Moir - I salute you!

Well doing clench fists into the air and that aggressive face convinced everyone that he is the lone ungay male figure skater out there. hehe

Also it wasn't cool of him telling Tessa that they finished 2nd.

Redliner
02-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I thought their spanish flamenco program was a lot more interesting than the free program, but both were very good. Seemed like Virtue & Moir were much more fluid than the other skaters, and the speed of their lifts was much faster. It sounds funny to hear them be criticized for being too technical, because why would there be a technical component to the scores if it wasn't important? Hell, even I could get on skates and go out there and "dance".

I guess I don't know much about ice dancing though, but I'm still confident the gold medal went to the right place because Tessa Virtue is WAY hotter than the Russian chick.

the_professsor
02-23-2010, 12:45 PM
They won't have any excuses when their selfish men's hockey team gets pumped on wednesday

Stocky
02-23-2010, 12:56 PM
What happened to good sportsmanship? . Plushenko calls men who don't do a quad "not men"

Yeah, but Pluschenko had a point. He was backed up by Elivis Stojko(sp?) Who pointed out that he had done his first quad back in the early 90s and there were more jumps (is that what they are called?) that should evolve into quads.

The Motto of the Olympics is after all: faster, higher, stronger.

Kesler17
02-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Well doing clench fists into the air and that aggressive face convinced everyone that he is the lone ungay male figure skater out there. hehe

Also it wasn't cool of him telling Tessa that they finished 2nd.
It wasn't him that told her that, honestly get your straight. You are one clueless individual.

Nufy
02-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Did anyone else notice that when they received their bronze medals, they were presented backwards.....

Maybe they're pissed about that......

GirlySports
Yeah, but Pluschenko had a point. He was backed up by Elivis Stojko(sp?) Who pointed out that he had done his first quad back in the early 90s and there were more jumps (is that what they are called?) that should evolve into quads.

The Motto of the Olympics is after all: faster, higher, stronger.

True but maybe the officials didn't want to see 10 quads in one program to protect the other parts of the program like the footwork and dancing.

Some people like 10-9 hockey games, others don't.

Iowa_Flames_Fan
The Olympics are so weird. It's the one time, every four years on the nose, that every red-blooded Canadian hockey fan suddenly develops strong opinions on the sport of figure skating.

With that said, Moir and Virtue rock.

mykalberta
02-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I think we need pic of each of the female competitors from Canada, Russia, and Italy to finally judge on who is the best.

RedHot25
02-23-2010, 01:08 PM
I think we need pic of each of the female competitors from Canada

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpost.php?p=2346513&postcount=181

BigFlameDog
02-23-2010, 01:10 PM
It wasn't him that told her that, honestly get your straight. You are one clueless individual.

Uhh, it was on tape dude....he was totally kidding...and he got her good......

I think the whole world saw it...except you :blink:

You can't even troll the olympic threads properly Kesler 17....

Bertuzzied
02-23-2010, 01:11 PM

Are you an idiot? So who told her then? They had it on camera showing him telling her they finished 2nd and then pulling the "just kidding" crap right after.

Plus after in the interview with RDS she said the same thing. "I'm gullible". wink wink.

Kesler17
02-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Uhh, it was on tape dude....he was totally kidding...and he got her good......

I think the whole world saw it...except you :blink:

You can't even troll the olympic threads properly Kesler 17....
Oh yes I thought Scott was their coach but Moir's first name is Scott. My bad and yes I did watch it. And yes I am trolling :rolleyes:

Kesler17
02-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Are you an idiot? So who told her then? They had it on camera showing him telling her they finished 2nd and then pulling the "just kidding" crap right after.

Plus after in the interview with RDS she said the same thing. "I'm gullible". wink wink.
I thought someone else did, still its not a big deal I mean he was playing with her whats so bad about that? They've known each other for so long its ok if he played a trick on her. And don't be idiotic and call him out on being pumped up

fredr123
02-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Perhaps I misheard Rod Black last night, but didn't he say this is the first time that the ice dancing gold has been won by a team in their home country? Granted ice dancing has only been around since 1976.

Then there's this: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canada+Tessa+Virtue+Scott+Moir+take+dancing+level/2602730/story.html

They also ensured that for the first time in 50 years, Russia or the Soviet Union before them, will go home without a figure skating gold medal -a signal, surely, that the game has changed since the adoption of the Code of Points scoring system after the Salt Lake City judging scandal.

In the nine Olympic Games since ice dancing made its debut in 1976, 17 of 27 medals - and all but one gold, that by France's Russian-born Marina Anissina and her partner Gwendal Peizerat in 2002 - had gone to Russian, Soviet or quasi-Soviet teams.

Henry Fool
02-23-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't know anything about figure skating as such, but there's no question the Canadian pair was the best. I really liked their more modern style, and only the one tiny American came even close to Virtue, who was amazing. And they had the toughest, least-cliched music.

Good technique is beautiful. The others probably like the old school ways with all kinds of silly non-sensical gestures that are always on the brink of self-parody.

Hopefully the sport changes more toward what the Canadians offered. I didn't laugh once when they were on, which is something you can't say about the others.

GirlySports
02-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Perhaps I misheard Rod Black last night, but didn't he say this is the first time that the ice dancing gold has been won by a team in their home country? Granted ice dancing has only been around since 1976.

Then there's this: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canada+Tessa+Virtue+Scott+Moir+take+dancing+level/2602730/story.html

Sounds right considering the Soviet Union/Russia has never hosted the Winter Games and they've won most of the golds.

Stocky
02-23-2010, 02:25 PM
True but maybe the officials didn't want to see 10 quads in one program to protect the other parts of the program like the footwork and dancing.

Yeah perhaps, but the guy who won didn't do any quads. As I understand it Figure Skating made the transition from when people could only do doubles to adding mandatory triples after people could do them. Now some feel the next logical progression is to transition to add mandatory quads since people can do them. Seems reasonable to me since the precedent has already been set.

Not that I know that much about it or care lol.

Some people like 10-9 hockey games, others don't.

To me it is more like Board Diving, where degree of difficulty matters. If degree of difficulty mattered in goal scoring, it might get complicated ;-)

ricoFlame
02-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Barn dance sould be an olympic sport.

troutman
02-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Perhaps I misheard Rod Black last night, but didn't he say this is the first time that the ice dancing gold has been won by a team in their home country?

Rod gave out some real information through all the flowery language?

Welcome to the Pacific Colosseum, underneath the shadow of the majestic snow-capped Coastal Mountain Range. From the shores of scenic Burrard Inlet, and in close proximity to the rugged slice-of-life that is East Hastings Street, will it be gold for the winsome Canadian duo from the frigid small-town arenas of Southern Ontario, or some other metallic element from the periodic table?

VladtheImpaler
02-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Where did Emmitt Smith finish?

Hammertime
02-23-2010, 03:32 PM
The headline should read:

Moir/Virtue get bashed from athletes: "That's not a real sport"

Barnes
02-23-2010, 03:48 PM
The Italians should STFU because they only way they can win anything is by switching sides half way through.

GirlySports
02-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah perhaps, but the guy who won didn't do any quads. As I understand it Figure Skating made the transition from when people could only do doubles to adding mandatory triples after people could do them. Now some feel the next logical progression is to transition to add mandatory quads since people can do them. Seems reasonable to me since the precedent has already been set.

Not that I know that much about it or care lol.

To me it is more like Board Diving, where degree of difficulty matters. If degree of difficulty mattered in goal scoring, it might get complicated ;-)

Yes I agree. Programs are made in advance based on the rules. They should give more points for quads and more guys will do it. The fear still is, I don't want to see a program with 10 quads and guys falling on their asses.

fredr123
02-23-2010, 03:58 PM
The Italians should award themselves a Platinum medal.

troutman
02-23-2010, 04:01 PM
NtIsSOvINLM

vicphoenix13
02-23-2010, 04:17 PM
The Italian and Russian women are just upset that Tessa Virtue is way hotter than they are. Face it losers, you were beaten by a better team. I wouldn't have a problem if Virtue and Moir rubbed the gold medal in their faces at the World Championships.

Puppet Guy
02-23-2010, 04:50 PM
The Italian and Russian women are just upset that Tessa Virtue is way hotter than they are. Face it losers, you were beaten by a better team. I wouldn't have a problem if Virtue and Moir rubbed the gold medal in their faces at the World Championships.

on this note, I noticed a really disturbing resemblance between Meryl Davis and a certain NHL commissioner:

http://z.about.com/d/figureskating/1/0/j/Z/-/-/daviswhite.jpg

http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/2007/sports_owners/bettman.jpg

MRCboicgy
02-23-2010, 05:20 PM
LOL, I'm not even going to respond to those sour grapes.

Bunk
02-23-2010, 05:39 PM
This is rich coming from the couple that essentially were dressing in the equivilant of 'black face' in their highly controversial, offensive and downright ridiculous portrayal of Australian Aborigines.

http://trueslant.com/harmonleon/2010/01/22/domnina-and-shabalin-is-this-ice-dancings-equivalent-to-blackface/

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Aboriginal-leaders-Russian-ice-dancers-routine?urn=oly,221290

http://images.watoday.com.au/2010/01/21/1057416/ice2main-420x0.jpg

Resolute 14
02-23-2010, 06:17 PM
more proof we should always cheer for americans ahead of Russians in sport.

Fixed.

/Ukranian

Hemi-Cuda
02-23-2010, 06:37 PM
This is rich coming from the couple that essentially were dressing in the equivilant of 'black face' in their highly controversial, offensive and downright ridiculous portrayal of Australian Aborigines.

http://trueslant.com/harmonleon/2010/01/22/domnina-and-shabalin-is-this-ice-dancings-equivalent-to-blackface/

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Aboriginal-leaders-Russian-ice-dancers-routine?urn=oly,221290

http://images.watoday.com.au/2010/01/21/1057416/ice2main-420x0.jpg

is that what they were dressed as? i thought they were dressed in some Avatar-esque outfits

Berger_4_
02-23-2010, 06:57 PM
No that was the Ukrainians earlier during the Olympics.

Resolute 14
02-23-2010, 06:59 PM
The "native dancers"? Nope, that's the Russian pair.

FWIW, the CEO (heh) of the native tribes who's traditional land the games are being held on has no problem with their outfits:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=49216.html

FurnaceFace
02-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I think Axl Rosov/Kid Rocken/whateverhisnameov should take his bronze medal, turn it sideways and shove it. Their performance was friggin boring. The only ones who could complain and have any legitimacy to it are the Americans. I thought their performance was just as quality only faster moves. And the Italians...I thought there were better performances in the previous set than them.

GGG
02-23-2010, 09:13 PM
The Ironic part of the "they are too technical argument" is that the arguement that the Men's Russian skater didn't win because the judging wasn't based enough on difficult technical elements and artsy crap allowed the American to win.

I would say that figure skating should only be judged on technical merit and not arsty crap so Canadians rightfully won dance but the russians were robbed out of the Men's gold. (I have been watching way too much figure skating).

The russians dance pair was also overly penalized for their Aborigie performance. While it appears pretty racist it was technically quite good and I think better then where they were ranked though that performance didn't really matter in the end results as the Canadians and Americans were better in the Free Dance as well.

SebC
02-23-2010, 09:34 PM
more proof we should always cheer for americans ahead of europeans in sport.Don't forget Australians. They suck.

I'm glad they won, but Moir seems to be a bit of an ass.Haha, he does seem to carry himself a bit pompously, but you probably have to be a bit cocky to survive as a male ice dancer.

LOL, I'm not even going to respond to those sour grapes.Directly? No probably not, but you responded to the thread.