PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mike Babcock...

Mathgod
02-18-2010, 08:25 PM
1) What's with the constant line juggling? How is this team going to find chemistry with different line combinations almost every shift?
2) Please, no more benching guys for making ONE MISTAKE that was barely even their fault
3) What's with the favoritism? Limiting guys like Morrow, Richards, Iginla in favour of the Sharks threesome... you've got a lineup of 13 superstar forwards; don't have to stick with just 3

zamler
02-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Luckily Babcock is an avid CP reader.

BACKCHECK!!!
02-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Seriously.

Mr Babcock played a very large role in the game tonight, and did so with a heavy hand.

This game was an abject failure.

This was a VERY clear example of a coach doing more harm than good to a team. Had the initial lines simply rolled along all night, I suspect the team would have done much better.

The Sharks line was simply out-hustled and out-worked all night, but he rode them like a little red wagon all game.

He lost the game-within-the-game, and he lost it BIG.

FanIn80
02-18-2010, 08:42 PM
What do you expect from someone with the word "bab" in their name?

jschick88
02-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Mike Babcock, after 3-2 win over Swiss, says Martin Brodeur will start Sunday against the U.S

Canada 02
02-18-2010, 08:43 PM
The Shark line that scored two goals was a failure?

Ark2
02-18-2010, 08:49 PM
What I don't understand is why Babcock is dressing 13 skaters. This gaurantees that lines will get mixed up every other shift and really doesn't make much sense. Another thing that I find baffling is why name guys like Morrow and Richards to the team if you aren't going to use them? If you look at the 2002 roster, it had success with guys like Maltby and Draper because it used these guys regularly and they were used to their strengths.

I get that Babcock is a superstar coach and all, and I'm just some dumb CP poster but if he refuses to use 4 lines and just lean on 6 guys, then this team really doesn't have a chance.

Ark2
02-18-2010, 08:50 PM

If you give any line on that team the ice time and number of chances that they got, then they likely would have scored 2 goals as well.

jschick88
02-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Morrow and Richards are on the team for one thing. If we play the Russians, Ovechkin.

Ducay
02-18-2010, 09:57 PM

20+ minutes and ONLY 2 goals against the SWISS? Sounds like a bad night. They should've had 2 goals each with that kind of ice time

temple5
02-18-2010, 10:06 PM
The failure is a bunch of millionaires athletes playing like a bunch of millionaire athletes.

kipperiggy
02-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Iginla:
5 goals in 2 games, including the hat trick against Norway
Proven leadership ability
Best right winger on the team
Generating chances on the ice tonight

Benched in favour of:
Toews: did nothing of note
Bergeron: won some faceoffs, that was about it
Nash: great hands, but lazy, selfish player.

Yes I'm not a Stanley Cup winning coach, but it doesn't take a Stanley Cup winning coach to figure out that that logic is seriously flawed!

automaton 3
02-18-2010, 10:17 PM
It's a mystery why he kept putting Getzlaf out there, he was terrible.

Grimbl420
02-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Did Iginla even play in the last 5 minutes of regulation? Because I don't remember seeing him.

Phaneuf3
02-18-2010, 10:41 PM
http://blog.buyplaywin.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/explanation.jpg

home_sweet_dome
02-18-2010, 10:47 PM
I wonder if Timbit is secretly Mike Babcock. :eek:

CSharp
02-18-2010, 10:57 PM
I think Babcock has been spoiled with the type of forwards that he has in Detroit. Maybe this is why he plays the Shark line so much. Babcock doesn't have an Iggy type player on his team. So, I don't think he knows how to use Iggy regularly and consistently on any shifts. Kind of disappointing.

Smell My Finger
02-19-2010, 12:18 AM
After the Norway game the media wanted to talk about to Babcock about Iginla moving from the 4th line to the first line and how smart that was.

Babcock's answer was "I told Iginla when he arrived in Vancouver that we need him to play the body and a physical game. We really don't need him to score goals. It just so happened that tonight he did."
Are you kidding me Babcock you arrogant jerk off.
We should have seen this as foreshadowing of tonights game and how Babcock is missmanaging Iginla and others.

I definatly am not a fan of Babcock.

Ark2
02-19-2010, 12:25 AM
After the Norway game the media wanted to talk about to Babcock about Iginla moving from the 4th line to the first line and how smart that was.

Babcock's answer was "I told Iginla when he arrived in Vancouver that we need him to play the body and a physical game. We really don't need him to score goals. It just so happened that tonight he did."
We should have seen this as foreshadowing of tonights game and how Babcock is missmanaging Iginla and others.

If you need someone to play physical and throw the body, then they just should have named Clutterbuck instead of Jarome. You don't tell a 50 goal scorer that you don't want him to score goals and then put a guy that has only passed 70 points once in his career on the top line. That makes absolutely no sense.

Joborule
02-19-2010, 12:29 AM
If that's an actual quote I gotta think Babcock may not be that bright. Sure you want Iggy being physical, but this a player that damn well made his legacy, and continue doing so by scoring a lot of goals.

Let the man excel at what he's best at. Just because he hasn't had a good season doesn't mean that he can't find his grove in scoring goals with players of the same caliber around him.

Ren
02-19-2010, 01:28 AM
I understand that playing physical is a big part of Iggy's game so I don't mind so much if they play him on a checking line but to outright say you don't need a two-time 50 goal scorer and Art Ross/Rocket Richard winner with Olympic gold medal experience to score goals for you right after a hat trick performance, and then follow that up by freaking benching him for no reason? What possible purpose does that serve?

Reign of Fire
02-19-2010, 02:04 AM

Haha this is the funniest thing I have heard...Babcock wants to turn a 50 goal scoring power forward into a grinder...I personally think there is too much Detroit Redwings influence on this team...

Replay
02-19-2010, 02:50 AM
Did Iginla even play in the last 5 minutes of regulation? Because I don't remember seeing him.

From what I remember, his first shift in the 3rd came near the 10 minute mark. After that he had 2 very short shifts.

3 Justin 3
02-19-2010, 03:19 AM
Morrow and Richards are on the team for one thing. If we play the Russians, Ovechkin.

If Ovechkin is on the ice, for some unknown reason, Niedermayer will end up on the ice with the Shark line, and then get cut up. :(

sa226
02-19-2010, 04:55 AM

Ok so I slept on it, and now I wake up to read that quote from Babcock

PLease tell me you are paraphrasing.

So who in the hell do you want to score goals?

Perry?, Nash? Staal? Bergeron?

Good lord

CGY12
02-19-2010, 05:05 AM
"I told Iginla when he arrived in Vancouver that we need him to play the body and a physical game. We really don't need him to score goals. It just so happened that tonight he did."

I was talking about this after the 1st game and one poster came here claiming that was a compliment. To me when I read that its a clear sign of disrespect and a dislike for a player. 1st game of the Olympics after so much "hoop la" around the team and 1st time a Team Canada player recorded a hat trick in a game since 88 and their is no mention of how great he played or how he got the team going with the first goal after a mediocre 1st period. Just a meh whatever he didn't need to do that but he did tonight. I can't imagine Iggy being a happy camper deep down inside right now.

GreenLantern
02-19-2010, 07:15 AM
[Bahhhhh )#@%ing CP making me grow a conscience, I will moderate myself :( ]

Babcock should have stuck with Iginla on the first line. He had three goals in 9 minutes, I don't care if it was against the Womens Austrian team, that is impressive.

HPLovecraft
02-19-2010, 08:07 AM
I wasn't hurt -- it's just part of it," said Iginla, who was held pointless and shotless in 12:03 of ice time. "You've got to be ready for that. It's part of the flow. You've got to produce and there's no question.

So, Iginla was benched because the 50 goal scorer was trying to score goals instead of laying down to block shots so that Toews can coast around instead and do nothing.

Makes sense.

GirlySports
02-19-2010, 08:18 AM
There are only 2 guys who can score on this team Heatley and Iginla. And Iginla is playing like 5 minutes a game.

No snipers on this team, just a bunch of two-way centers.

---

Seriously if I was Iginla and the coach planned a 4th line role for me, I would have stayed home.

Textcritic
02-19-2010, 08:21 AM
So, Iginla was benched because the 50 goal scorer was trying to score goals instead of laying down to block shots so that Toews can coast around instead and do nothing.

Makes sense.
What is the source for this article?

Cowperson
02-19-2010, 08:27 AM

If that's an actual quote I gotta think Babcock may not be that bright. Sure you want Iggy being physical, but this a player that damn well made his legacy, and continue doing so by scoring a lot of goals.

It would be more accurate to observe that Babcock might not be too bright if he thinks Iginla is a physical banger . . . . . because that's not really much the case anymore.

This game looked like how the tournament might go . . . . . the other side's goaltending is better than ours and can be The Great Equalizer. Meanwhile, Canada pretty much dominated but at some point, the talent has to convert the chances.

Cowperson

Resolute 14
02-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Man, Babcock really is an idiot afterall. It's one thing to put Iginla into a support/energy/physical role if the scorers are doing their job. But when the guys you are counting on to score goals are failing repeatedly, why in the hell would staple a two-time Richard winner who had five goals in his previous two games to the bench?

Babcock is too used to his Detroit superstars just being able to go out and do it. We are learning this season, both in the NHL and the Olympics, that he simply is unable to adapt to challenging situations.

Salt Water Cowboy #10
02-19-2010, 08:40 AM
There are only 2 guys who can score on this team Heatley and Iginla. And Iginla is playing like 5 minutes a game.

No snipers on this team, just a bunch of two-way centers.

---

Seriously if I was Iginla and the coach planned a 4th line role for me, I would have stayed home.

Only 2? I don't get it

Bertuzzied
02-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Calm down guys. Babcock only put him on the 4th line to get him away from the top checking line of the Swiss.

HPLovecraft
02-19-2010, 08:44 AM
What is the source for this article?

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Babcock+sends+Team+Canada+message+taking+ineffecti ve+Iginla+line/2585014/story.html

SeeBass
02-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Seriously.

Mr Babcock played a very large role in the game tonight, and did so with a heavy hand.

This game was an abject failure.

This was a VERY clear example of a coach doing more harm than good to a team. Had the initial lines simply rolled along all night, I suspect the team would have done much better.

The Sharks line was simply out-hustled and out-worked all night, but he rode them like a little red wagon all game.

He lost the game-within-the-game, and he lost it BIG.

What game were you watching?
That line drew 3-4 penalties and scored both goals!

northcrunk
02-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes Babs is a MORON, MORON MORON MORON! He will be the downfall of this team if they loose gold with his bad line combinations

Bertuzzied
02-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Babcock is only doing what Brent Sutter was a afraid to do in a few games earlier this season.

Smell My Finger
02-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Babcock said he told Iginla before the game that he wants him to use his size as an asset. He didn't need it on his goals, but he otherwise used his size, as did Nash. Crosby gets freed up to make plays when he's got such big bodies as linemates.

"We need (Iginla) to be a physical presence for us, to be really hard to play against," Babcock said. "He doesn't need to score to help us, but obviously he did tonight. But, that's what we're looking for, and Bergeron was just a very useful player for us."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=517953

Babcock is a hypocrit by that Statement neither Bergeron or Toews are big bodies that will provide a physical game that will open up opportunities for Sid the Kid.

How many points has that line combination generated without Iginla ZERO.
Babcock needs to held accountable for screwing around with this line not using them on 4 out of 6 of the PP is inexcusable. Babcock cutting back their ice time I simply do not get.

bubbsy
02-19-2010, 10:20 AM
i agree with the discontent after Babcock's statement on Iginla.

If you aren't expecting Canada's highest scoring RW to contribute offensively, then why the F did he get selected for the team?!

For his leadership, hitting, and defensive play!???!??!?

Why didn't they take ethan moreau, alex burrows, steve ott instead of Iginla then?

Puddy27
02-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Babcock is only doing what Brent Sutter was a afraid to do in a few games earlier this season.
Well Babcock can throw out superstars next...Brent Sutter can throw out...Glencross, Nystrom, Langkow etc.

Comparing apples to oranges.

flip
02-19-2010, 10:49 AM
So does that mean we can gather up our pitchforks and torches?

Some of you guys are pretty damn angry for a game that Canada won, will hardly effect us at all since Russia lost too, and Iggy played about par for the course this season. Now all of a sudden Babcock is a traitor who needs to be shot into space? WTF?

CGY12
02-19-2010, 10:55 AM
You clearly didn't watch the game flip. This year as a Flame at times Iggy has been down right bad but yesterday he was playing fine and the top line was getting chances. He was penalized because his line couldn't finish which is ridiculous. This game may not effect the Canadians because Russia lost (LUCKY) but it doesn't exactly scream gold medal champs.

silentsim
02-19-2010, 10:57 AM
but it doesn't exactly scream gold medal champs.

And Russia does?

Flashpoint
02-19-2010, 10:59 AM
If that's an actual quote I gotta think Babcock may not be that bright.

Whoa whoa whoa! Lets not forget this man is the genius leading the talent laden Detroit Red Wings to 10th place in the conference!

Not just any Kevin Lowe can do that! It takes a special guy!

Yzerman picked his buddy to coach. Not the best coach available.

flip
02-19-2010, 11:03 AM
You clearly didn't watch the game flip. This year as a Flame at times Iggy has been down right bad but yesterday he was playing fine and the top line was getting chances. He was penalized because his line couldn't finish which is ridiculous. This game may not effect the Canadians because Russia lost (LUCKY) but it doesn't exactly scream gold medal champs.

You clearly don't know s*** about hockey CGY12, so you may as well have not watched the game.

There are so many reasons why Iggy's ice time may have been cut. You have no idea why.

silentsim
02-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Whoa whoa whoa! Lets not forget this man is the genius leading the talent laden Detroit Red Wings to 10th place in the conference!

Oh please. Babcock is an amazing coach, and was an amazing coach in Anaheim prior to Detroit.

Even the best of coaches teams suffer when alot of core guys are out of the lineup due to injury (Detroit this season)

Flashpoint
02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Oh please. Babcock is a great coach, and was a great coach in Anaheim prior to Detroit.

So why did he bench Iginla, and why are the Wings in 10th place? Injuries are a nice excuse, but great coaches find ways to win. Look at Phoenix this year under Tippet. That place has been the Island of Misfit Toys for years, and when they finally get a real coach - BAM! Success.

Anaheim had great players. As does team Canada. Which is why we'll be successful in spite of Babcock.

silentsim
02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
The funniest part of CP: People thinking they know more then a coach who has won at the highest levels in the NHL.

silentsim
02-19-2010, 11:10 AM
So why did he bench Iginla, and why are the Wings in 10th place?

Anaheim had great players. As does team Canada. Which is why we'll be successful in spite of Babcock.

Injuries, i noted that. The Mule was out for a long time. They have terrible goaltending, and have relied on Howard since Osgood is bad.

Give the Wings a goaltender and even with the injuries would be top 5 in the NHL.

Flashpoint
02-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Injuries, i noted that. The Mule was out for a long time. They have terrible goaltending, and have relied on Howard since Osgood is bad.

Give the Wings a goaltender and even with the injuries would be top 5 in the NHL.

Give the Wings a coach, and I'll agree with you.

flip
02-19-2010, 11:11 AM
So why did he bench Iginla, and why are the Wings in 10th place?

Dude, we've played 2 frickin' games. One of which we won 8-0. The other we deserved to win and won in a shoutout.

How can you or anyone else unequivocally act like this tourney and Babcock a failure after 2 friggin' games? TWO!!!!

Seriously, this thread reads like we just lost in the qualification round to Latvia and we're out of the tourney. Not like a thread about a team who will almost certainly finish FIRST in their pool and finish in the TOP 2 of the bye round and get to play a low ranked team in the quarterfinals.

silentsim
02-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Give the Wings a coach, and I'll agree with you.

You have to be one of the dumbest posters on CP right now.

Babcock is a GREAT coach, and don't you think for one second that it was a decision made solely by Babcock.

There is more then one coach on this team.

CGY12
02-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Dude, we've played 2 frickin' games. One of which we won 8-0. The other we deserved to win and won in a shoutout.

How can you or anyone else unequivocally act like this tourney and Babcock a failure after 2 friggin' games? TWO!!!!

Seriously, this thread reads like we just lost in the qualification round to Latvia and we're out of the tourney. Not like a thread about a team who will almost certainly finish FIRST in their pool and finish in the TOP 2 of the bye round and get to play a low ranked team in the quarterfinals.

If it weren't for Brodeur playing great in a SHOOTOUT last night the result would have matched what happened in 2006. Do you remember what happened that year? People have the right to question what is going on after a game like that against a team that shouldn't have even been in it after 2.

flip
02-19-2010, 11:20 AM
If it weren't for Brodeur playing great in a SHOOTOUT last night the result would have matched what happened in 2006. Do you remember what happened that year? People have the right to question what is going on after a game like that against a team that shouldn't have even been in it after 2.

You aren't questioning, you are acting like a chicken little or a mob with your torches and pitchforks.

Questioning involves asking questions, not just making ridiculous blanket statements like "Babcock sucks and is ruining this team".

CGY12
02-19-2010, 11:21 AM

Babcock is a GREAT coach, and don't you think for one second that it was a decision made solely by Babcock.

There is more then one coach on this team.

Bob is that you? Coaching in the NHL over a 82 game schedule and long playoff is vastly different than coaching in a short round robin/elimination game Olympic tournament.

Flashpoint
02-19-2010, 11:22 AM

I didn't call him (or the tourney) a failure. I just said he's a crappy coach.

His performance this year for the Wings, and his nonsensical benching of Iginla seem to support my opinion - hence my post.

I can't speak to the tone of the thread. I just think the benching is more of a product of a bad coach than a failing of Iginla.

shadetree
02-19-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm not about to call Babcock stupid. I'm pretty sure he knows more about hockey than I ever will.

But he says he wants Iginla to be a physical presence. He takes Iggy off the Crosby line and replaces him with Toews. Toews does absolutely nothing, and he's playing out of position (at LW, with Nash playing out of position at RW to accomodate him). That doesn't make sense to me.

And then he puts Iginla out there with Richards and Morrow. Every time that line was out there in the third, they dominated the Swiss physically and generated one scoring chance after another. They provided the physical presence he asked for, and sorely needed in that game. And yet they only got 2 or 3 shifts in the 3rd?

Flashpoint
02-19-2010, 11:23 AM

LOL

Babcock is a GREAT coach

Prove it. His record doesn't.

don't you think for one second that it was a decision made solely by Babcock.There is more then one coach on this team.

Which is it? Is Babcock a great coach, or was this decision made by some other "GREAT" coach on the staff?

CGY12
02-19-2010, 11:24 AM
You aren't questioning, you are acting like a chicken little or a mob with your torches and pitchforks.

Questioning involves asking questions, not just making ridiculous blanket statements like "Babcock sucks and is ruining this team".

How we are acting is irrelevant to the situation. We wouldn't be talking about it if the team and coaching staff performed better last night. IMO coaching mistakes played a large role in last nights shocking result. Is that so hard for people to understand?

Flash Walken
02-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey Everyone!

I have a great! idea!

Let's split up Oates and Hull and put Hull on the fourth line and tell him that we need him to be Physical! And then we won't play him when we are desperate for a goal, because goddamnit, he hasn't been playing physical enough while sitting on the bench for the whole third period! HIT SOME GUYS AS THEY COME OFF FOR A CHANGE!

STANLEY CUP GOLD!

silentsim
02-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey Everyone!

I have a great! idea!

Let's split up Oates and Hull and put Hull on the fourth line and tell him that we need him to be Physical! And then we won't play him when we are desperate for a goal, because goddamnit, he hasn't been playing physical enough while sitting on the bench for the whole third period! HIT SOME GUYS AS THEY COME OFF FOR A CHANGE!

STANLEY CUP GOLD!

I am going to laugh at you when we win gold, behind Mike Babcock.

Iginla will get another chance, and he will dominate, as we know he can.

CGY12
02-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey Everyone!

I have a great! idea!

STANLEY CUP GOLD!

LMAO! Well said.

Bertuzzied
02-19-2010, 11:33 AM
You guys are hilarious. Finally viewing threads as an outsider looking in. Canada wins, Iggy is rested and you guys are still bitching about the world.

Well if Team Canada is going to rely on the Shark line for this tournament they are destined for 4th or 5th.

Flash Walken
02-19-2010, 11:33 AM
I am going to laugh at you when we win gold, behind Mike Babcock.

Iginla will get another chance, and he will dominate, as we know he can.

Great insight.

Can you think of a good reason to not play your best goal scorer with your best playmaker?

I said it before the tournament, Iginla will play less than one period on the fourth line before he instantly develops chemistry with Crosby and produces on the top line.

On what planet is a bodycheck better than a hattrick? It makes absolutely no sense at all and can't be justified with "I will laugh when we win".

Canada was close to coming away with 1 point against the freakin swiss in a game where Iginla gets 3 shifts in the third period. That is IDIOTIC coaching.

Maybe Babcock is a great coach who made a massive slipup, but it was MASSIVE. Sheepishly pointing to his reputation isn't really a defense.

Ace Handy
02-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I know we're all Iginla fans here. But IMHO this goes way past the benching of Jarome. Canada was out-coached last night. The Swiss played their system perfectly and our coaching staff either refused to or didn't adjust. The Shark line may have had two goals, but with the amount of ice time they had, they should have had more. Getzlaf was skating around like he was in a freakin' all-star game, yet was out every second shift. The Swiss played amazing, and I'm not saying we should have won 8-0 nothing, but we were lucky to come out of that game with two points.

looooob
02-19-2010, 11:44 AM
The funniest part of CP: People thinking they know more then a coach who has won at the highest levels in the NHL.

yeah because that never happens on messageboards, mainstream media or pubs across the country

are people over-reacting? sure

is questioning a coach unique to CP? I think not

are cup winning coaches above being questioned? I'm not sure. Was Marc Crawford beyond reproach in 98?

VladtheImpaler
02-19-2010, 11:48 AM
You guys are acting as if this is 1984 and Babcock benched Gretzky. Good lord, have some perspective. For all we know, Iginla is the 13th forward on the depth chart, notwithstanding the awesome display against Fort Worth...errr... Norway. Based on age, play this season... I would say Iginla is in the mix with Morrow and Bergeron for the #11-13 spots, and Bergeron is the designated face-off guy...
I think it's a much bigger deal that Lidstrom was getting minimal ice-time for the Swedes - was he benched? ;)

looooob
02-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Good lord, have some perspective. For all we know, Iginla is the 13th forward on depth chart, notwithstanding the awesome display against Fort Worth...errr... Norway. Based on age, play this season... I would say Iginla is in the mix with Morrow and Bergeron for the #11-13 spots,
well he's clearly the 11th-13th forward we do know that much

hopefully it works out

Flash Walken
02-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Mike Keenan has exactly the same amount of Finals appearances and cups as Mike Babcock.

Beyond Reproach.

VladtheImpaler
02-19-2010, 11:53 AM
well he's clearly the 11th-13th forward we do know that much

hopefully it works out

As a Flame fan I am all for Iginla getting plenty of bench time, no injuries and having something to prove when he comes back...

the_professsor
02-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Mike Keenan has exactly the same amount of Finals appearances and cups as Mike Babcock.

Beyond Reproach.

Mike Keenan coached for 20 or so years, Babcock is in year 7...

argument invalid

I_H8_Crawford

Just curious - who was the best coach available for Canada if it wasn't Babcock??

looooob
As a Flame fan I am all for Iginla getting plenty of bench time, no injuries and having something to prove when he comes back...
I don't entirely disagree. I would like to see things work out for Canada also and I understand that can happen with or without Iginla. I just hope the coaches don't try and outsmart themselves as they have been known to do in other Olympics

Flash Walken
02-19-2010, 11:58 AM
You guys are acting as if this is 1984 and Babcock benched Gretzky. Good lord, have some perspective. For all we know, Iginla is the 13th forward on the depth chart, notwithstanding the awesome display against Fort Worth...errr... Norway. Based on age, play this season... I would say Iginla is in the mix with Morrow and Bergeron for the #11-13 spots, and Bergeron is the designated face-off guy...
I think it's a much bigger deal that Lidstrom was getting minimal ice-time for the Swedes - was he benched? ;)
Or like it is 1998 and Marc Crawford benched Gretzky.

Thus far in the tournament I think there has been less than 5 team canada players on par or exceeding what Iginla has brought.

How can everyone ignore what happened the previous game. Iggy came out banging, had 3 hits on his first 2 shifts and scored 3 unique type goals. Ripped it, tapped it in and deflected it in while screening the goalie.

He's not a one dimensional player, and was CLEARLY performing, and I think most would say, has outperformed basically every other player that has received more icetime.

I have yet to see a defense that wasn't 'wait and see'.

Flash Walken
02-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Mike Keenan coached for 20 or so years, Babcock is in year 7...

argument invalid

Mike Keenan was in year 9.

GreenLantern
02-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Just curious - who was the best coach available for Canada if it wasn't Babcock??

http://i33.tinypic.com/106iusw.jpg

Tell me that this Canada team ill under achieve for this guy. This ain't the Flames, top talent in the world with a coach who knows how to win at the International level.

I_H8_Crawford
02-19-2010, 12:10 PM
LOL Brent Sutter?????

Yeah his team is performing SOOOOOOO well vs. Babcock's team.

At least Babcock has the injury excuse.

What exactly has B Sutter done at the highest level again? 1st round exits and, an UNDERACHIEVING team!!!

GreenLantern
02-19-2010, 12:29 PM
LOL Brent Sutter?????

Yeah his team is performing SOOOOOOO well vs. Babcock's team.

At least Babcock has the injury excuse.

What exactly has B Sutter done at the highest level again? 1st round exits and, an UNDERACHIEVING team!!!

http://www.kidzworld.com/img/upload/article/20847/a1521i2_LOTR-3_w.jpg

I_H8_Crawford
02-19-2010, 12:45 PM
http://www.kidzworld.com/img/upload/article/20847/a1521i2_LOTR-3_w.jpg
Yeah, right.

Babcock has been in the FINALS for two straight years, and has his team that has been decimated by injuries in the playoff mix.

B Sutter has two straight first round exits, and has his healthy team barely ahead of Babcock's team... but Sutter would be the better choice...

Call me a troll all you want, ANYONE outside of Calgary would see Babcock is the FAR superior choice.

Schmidtyboosh
02-19-2010, 12:49 PM
I know we're all Iginla fans here. But IMHO this goes way past the benching of Jarome. Canada was out-coached last night. The Swiss played their system perfectly and our coaching staff either refused to or didn't adjust. The Shark line may have had two goals, but with the amount of ice time they had, they should have had more. Getzlaf was skating around like he was in a freakin' all-star game, yet was out every second shift. The Swiss played amazing, and I'm not saying we should have won 8-0 nothing, but we were lucky to come out of that game with two points.

Well said! Why wasn't Babcock splitting up Getzlaf/Perry/Staal? They did nothing last night. Iggy SHOULD be on the top line. Out of the 3 wingers and Crosby and Nash have had (Bergeron, Toews, Iggy), he has BY FAR been the best. He had a few bad shifts last night, but that doesn't justify sitting ONLY HIM, when how many other players played worse than he did?

questionmotives
02-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Destiny doesn't take Iginla off the top line.

d_phaneuf
02-19-2010, 12:56 PM
LOL

Prove it. His record doesn't.

Which is it? Is Babcock a great coach, or was this decision made by some other "GREAT" coach on the staff?

Prove Babcock is a great coach? really? thats not hard

http://www.thehockeyinsider.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/1babcock.jpg

CGY12
02-19-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't know why people are talking about this guys NHL track record. The Olympics and international tournaments all together are vastly different than what the NHL has to offer. He may be a great coach in the NHL but internationally show me what he has done? Strategy and bench management are MUCH more important in a elimination tournament then a 82 regular game season.

kipperfan
02-19-2010, 01:05 PM

Cop out. So you're telling me every coach who has ever won a Stanley Cup was a great coach? What a giant load of BS.

the_professsor
02-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Mike Keenan was in year 9.

ya and then he had 11 more years. so give babcock 13 more years, see how many cups and finals appearances he has before u make comparisons

Pastiche
02-19-2010, 01:10 PM
I have another great idea. Lets keep throwing Getzlaf out there until he starts trying.

d_phaneuf
02-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Cop out. So you're telling me every coach who has ever won a Stanley Cup was a great coach? What a giant load of BS.

most of them are I would say, or were when they won the cup

and Babcock won the cup not too long ago, and took his team to the finals the next year as well

is there a reason why you don't think he is a good coach outside of him not playing Iginla a lot?

Resolute 14
02-19-2010, 01:24 PM
is there a reason why you don't think he is a good coach outside of him not playing Iginla a lot?

FWIW, while we focus on Iginla, quite naturally, a couple other good scorers were stapled to the bench in favour of Nash, Thornton and Toews, all of whom were borderline useless for large stretches of that game.

People are venting, and given Babcock's incredibly poor job managing the bench last night, he is rightly earning the wrath of people. We'll see how he, and the team, adapts against the US.

CGY12
02-19-2010, 01:33 PM
most of them are I would say, or were when they won the cup

and Babcock won the cup not too long ago, and took his team to the finals the next year as well

I don't think he is a bad coach per say. I think right now he is showing his inexperience in international play. Just because you see success at the NHL level, it doesn't necessarily mean it will translate into success in this kind of format. I understand Babcock has his own "horses" that he wants to ride more than others but in a such a short tournament if that player isn't playing well at the moment you can't continue to ride him. You got to go with who is bringing it. Last night the 2nd line (Staal, Getzlaf, Perry) were nowhere to be seen and they continued to see a regular shift, where as Morrow and Richards were playing their a$$ off and bringing the intensity/physicality yet they were glued to the bench. You can rest a sure that if he continues to do that the entire nation will be disappointed because if the opposition wasn't the Swiss and it was a legit hockey power the game would have been long over before shootout. Now we can all wait and see if he does adjust and that will ultimately decide how great a coach he truly is in this competition.

Flash Walken
02-19-2010, 01:34 PM
I have another great idea. Lets keep throwing Getzlaf out there until he starts trying.
I am so unsurprised by his lack of efficiency, but I didn't expect this apparent lack of 'go' from him. I just thought he was injured and that Canada was ######ed for playing him.

Whatever McGuire says about him talking on the bench, he demonstrates on the ice that his brain is not in it. I don't understand how Iginla rides the pine while Getzlaf skates around like he isn't wearing equipment.

Knut
02-19-2010, 01:45 PM
I think the biggest thing that was apparent last night in the third period was that the pretty plays were not getting it done. You needed to score with a bang and crash style goal. Iginla- Richards - Morrow would have been the perfect line for that. I am not upset that Iggy was taken off the top line, but that that line was not given more of a chance to get a garbage goal in. The one shift they had at the 10 minute mark of the third was a hard-nosed gritty shift that had a few scoring chances. Put them out there again to wear down the Swiss D.

kevman
02-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Based on age, play this season... I would say Iginla is in the mix with Morrow and Bergeron for the #11-13 spots, and Bergeron is the designated face-off guy...

Iginla 57 pts in 62 gms
Nash 57 pts in 63 gms
Perry 59 pts in 62 gms
Toews 49 pts in 55 gms
Richards 46 pts in 60 gms

Just curious, based on this seasons play, why are all the other guys so far ahead of Iginila on the depth chart?

I get it that it's the in thing to do to hate on Iginla but, rosed colour glasses or not, he was far from the worst player on the ice last night!

CGY12
02-19-2010, 02:25 PM

I wish their was a thumbs down option.

Ark2
02-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Oh please. Babcock is an amazing coach, and was an amazing coach in Anaheim prior to Detroit.

Let's not get carried away here. He was only in Anaheim for 2 seasons. Yes he deserves credit for what they did during his first year, but most of the success can be pinned on the superhuman performance by Giggy.

Azure
02-19-2010, 03:07 PM
LOL.

Babcock is hilarious.

"I told Iginla when he arrived in Vancouver that we need him to play the body and a physical game. We really don't need him to score goals. It just so happened that tonight he did."

Oh really?

I recall a shift in the 3rd period where Iginla/Richards/Morrow were on the ice, and that is exactly what they did. Hit, cycled the puck, hit some more, cycled the puck some more, got a couple scoring chances, hit some more, cycled the puck some more, provided some energy, hit some more and got a couple more scoring chances.

I also recall that when they came back to the bench after THAT shift, all 3 were benched for the rest of the game.

So tell me again how smart Babcock is.

Come on, I dare you.

Azure
02-19-2010, 03:10 PM

Iginla is the 13th forward?

Thats your problem right there.

VladtheImpaler
02-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Iginla 57 pts in 62 gms
Nash 57 pts in 63 gms
Perry 59 pts in 62 gms
Toews 49 pts in 55 gms
Richards 46 pts in 60 gms

Just curious, based on this seasons play, why are all the other guys so far ahead of Iginila on the depth chart?

I get it that it's the in thing to do to hate on Iginla but, rosed colour glasses or not, he was far from the worst player on the ice last night!

I know, he is a Flame and he is the best. Just keep repeating that. The other guys are all younger and only getting better - I'm not telling you that's how I rank them, but where I think Yzerman & Co. rank them.

Ren
02-19-2010, 03:31 PM
I know, he is a Flame and he is the best. Just keep repeating that. The other guys are all younger and only getting better

Which is completely irrelevant when you're talking about building a team to play right now. If this tournament were taking place over the span of the next 10 years then you may have a point here.

Ark2
02-19-2010, 03:34 PM
I know, he is a Flame and he is the best. Just keep repeating that. The other guys are all younger and only getting better - I'm not telling you that's how I rank them, but where I think Yzerman & Co. rank them.

What? People keep saying that Iginla is not getting the ice time because of his regular season numbers, but when it is pointed out that his numbers are on par with nearly half of the forwards, then it becomes an issue of youth? I think the Team Canada brass made their minds up back in November on how this team would look and they are too proud now to admit they are wrong.

If you look at Nash and Iginla this season, both are having similar seasons, however Iginla has undoubtedly been the better player during this short tournament. Yet, Nash is somehow a staple on the first line and Iginla is a spare part without a purpose. Makes perfect sense to me :rolleyes:

looooob
02-19-2010, 03:35 PM
he's not the best.

Crosby is obviously the class of the field, the 3 San Jose guys are having good offensive seasons and team success

statistically this season Iginla is very much on par with the next tier of offensive forwards as listed above (and to be fair Richards and Toews like he are stuck on a lower line). age isn't that critical over the next 10 days he's not going to decline that quickly. I suppose the argument might be that hockey canada is grooming the younger guys for next time, as they did with Bouwmeester :)

Ace Handy
02-19-2010, 03:47 PM

This isn't the kind of tournament to bring guys for their improvement. They need to be good NOW. Take them back to the World Championships if you want to give them international experience.

After last night I am very concerned with our coaching and that the correct players were chosen for the correct reasons, ie. Doughty.

the_professsor
02-19-2010, 03:53 PM
i still can't believe Mike Greene isn't on the team...our 8th D for the taxi squad is Robidas....something is wrong there

Azure
02-19-2010, 03:58 PM
They didn't take Green because he sucks at playing defense.

Better to take Seabrook and just bench him.

the_professsor
02-19-2010, 04:02 PM
2nd in the NHL for plus minus among Dmen. regardless of how good his team is, he can't be that bad defensively

Ark2
02-19-2010, 04:03 PM
i still can't believe Mike Greene isn't on the team...our 8th D for the taxi squad is Robidas....something is wrong there

I don't know if I agree that they should have taken Green, but I just don't understand why they had to choose Doughty. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very good defenseman, but I don't get why they had to select him so that he could cut his teeth in this tournament. The kid is only 20 years old and he is bound to make mistakes... maybe it would be a little better for his game to mature at the expense of the Kings before he suits up for Canada.

Ark2
02-19-2010, 04:04 PM
2nd in the NHL for plus minus among Dmen. regardless of how good his team is, he can't be that bad defensively

Ovechkin leads the league in +/-. Are you saying that he is a good defensive player?

HPLovecraft
02-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Ovechkin leads the league in +/-. Are you saying that he is a good defensive player?

So would you leave him off the national team because he's bad defensively?

Ark2
02-19-2010, 04:07 PM
So would you leave him off the national team because he's bad defensively?

probably

the_professsor
02-19-2010, 04:07 PM

that's a good point. I don't wanna argue how good Greene is at defence cause he's really not. I still think he should be on the team, at least as a PP specialist. Shea Weber on the PP? The guy just blasts shots without looking, he's got a better chance of hurting one of our guys than scoring (just ask Heatley, or Erat, or Legwand...)

Resolute 14
02-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Plus-Minus is not a measure of defensive ability.

stignasty
02-19-2010, 04:12 PM

+/- is a shaky stat in any case. That's not going to stop me from saying "Scott Niederminus" every chance I get though.

Azure
02-19-2010, 04:14 PM
I guess if they put Bergeron on the team to win faceoffs, than they could have picked Green to run the PP.

Diet Water
02-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Green is only second to one player in the NHL in powerplay points while having played 4 less games, leaving him off the team was a mistake.

When a questionable player has a good +/- people claim the stat is useless, when one has a terrible +/- they bring it up to show how poor defensively he is.

the_professsor
02-19-2010, 04:26 PM

I guess Lidstrom's +430 over his career has nothing to do with his defensive ability. Just a coincidence.

Smell My Finger
02-19-2010, 04:27 PM

Iggy Says...

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s250/Juldust/Iggygold2002.jpg

Hey Babcock got one of these. Keep Benching Me and you won't.

DrJ
02-19-2010, 05:10 PM

That was the spirit of my post in the "Iggy Benched" thread.

Sorry if I was over-defensive. I just know Babs on a personal level and I know his attention to detail first hand and that he demands the best out of his players.

Flames_Gimp
02-19-2010, 05:18 PM
What do you expect from someone with the word "bab" in their name?
or coc.......

CGY12
02-19-2010, 05:26 PM

Sorry if I was over-defensive. I just know Babs on a personal level and I know his attention to detail first hand and that he demands the best out of his players.

So why were guys like Getzlaf and Staal getting a regular shift even though they were turning the puck over routinely?

Smell My Finger
02-19-2010, 05:27 PM

So what did Iggy do to warrent Babcock's WRATH. Iginla was not on the Ice for any GA nor did he turn the puck over. The few shifts he had Iginla created either energy with hits or scoring chances.
Babcock is playing head games With Crosby Nash and Iginla pure and simple and if Canada does not win gold. It is his pompas lack of realization that this is not a marathon like the NHL playoffs. This is a 1 week tournement and he is going to need all the vetran help and scoring he can muster. Even with this talented roster that he is tampering with.

Meers
02-19-2010, 05:45 PM
My question for Mr. Babcock is, why isn't the team practicing today?

Yeah, they played last night. But given the limited amount of icetime these guys have had together, wouldn't a light afternoon skate have been appropriate?

But perhaps there is a limit on the available practice times and locations for all of the teams.

Mad Mel
02-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Canada is doing a hell of a lot better this Olympics than it did in 2002, when they first lost to Sweden, then struggled the same way against Germany (yes, Germany!) as they did yesterday, and then tied against the Czechs. That tournament worked out pretty well. Holy overreaction.

Rerun
02-19-2010, 06:18 PM
My question for Mr. Babcock is, why isn't the team practicing today?

Yeah, they played last night. But given the limited amount of icetime these guys have had together, wouldn't a light afternoon skate have been appropriate?

But perhaps there is a limit on the available practice times and locations for all of the teams.

^^^^ Yeah... I don't understand that either. I think they could use all the practice time they can get.... especially on the powerplay which is sucking slew water.

Ren
02-19-2010, 06:49 PM
...He also has to find the right person to play on Sidney Crosby's (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471675) right side. Rick Nash (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470041) appears at home on his left, but Babcock ran through Jarome Iginla (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8462042), Patrice Bergeron (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470638) and Jonathan Toews (http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8473604) in the third period and overtime Thursday.

"Well, I didn't think they were good," Babcock said of the Crosby, Nash and Iginla trio that started the game against Switzerland. "I thought our San Jose line was our best line … but as a group, when you go through our whole team and you look at the high end of their game, we weren't as good as we were capable of being. Is that line combinations or is that just individually we need to be better?"

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=518220

Resolute 14
02-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Yeah, Nash sucked all night and Crosby felt that cute was better than scoring in the first, so he dumped Iginla from that line. Babcock really does seem more and more like an idiot.

CGY12
02-19-2010, 06:57 PM
"Well, I didn't think they were good," Babcock said of the Crosby, Nash and Iginla trio that started the game against Switzerland. "I thought our San Jose line was our best line … but as a group, when you go through our whole team and you look at the high end of their game, we weren't as good as we were capable of being. Is that line combinations or is that just individually we need to be better?"

Ok so you didn't think "they" were good so this resulted in pulling Iginla off the top line, benching him for the majority of the 3rd period, all of OT and rewarding both Nash and Crosby with more ice time? That quote just proves Iginla is held to a different standard and is his personal whipping boy. Guy is a flipping idiot.

Machiavelli
02-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Iginla scored a hat trick after moving to Crosby's right wing against Norway, but the chemistry didn't return against Switzerland and Babcock put Bergeron back in that spot. By the end of the game, Toews was there.

"I think we can play anybody on Sid's line and it would work fine," Yzerman said, downplaying any concern he may have over the position. "The coaches are doing some different things, seeing what works best not only for his line but for other lines, trying to maximize everybody's abilities and put people in the right spots. I really don't think we should make too big of a deal about it."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=518281

CGY12
02-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Ya thats sure been evident in Crosby's stat line in 40 minutes of play with no Iginla on his line (0,0,0). Iggy aint the saviour but he sure has hell been more effective than anybody else Babcock has tried.

Instead of moving Iggy off the top line all the time why not try moving Nash? If you don't want to break up the Shark line why not try Staal - Crosby - Iginla and Nash - Getzlaf - Perry.

sa226
02-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Maybe this is just my Flames blinders

But I find it appalling how little respect Iginla is getting

Is he the Shannahan of this team? Is he the Niewendyk? The Fleury? The Nolan, heck Nolan did very little in Salt Lake, but at least he got regular powerplay time.

I'm just looking forward to Sunday now.....but the issue still bugs me.

At least the media is prodding a little bit.....

Joborule
02-19-2010, 07:48 PM
"Well, I didn't think they were good"
So you take off the one player that was doing well when he wasn't hurt afterall?

Come on man. Keenan would be even smarter then that.

sa226
02-19-2010, 07:56 PM
So you take off the one player that was doing well when he wasn't hurt afterall?

Come on man. Keenan would be even smarter then that.

Thats what has me worried, regarding Iginla's place on the team.

If he truly meant "they" weren't very good, meaning all three of them. Why sit the guy who had the Hattrick?

I'm sure they are big believers in "best players being your best players"

So when things aren't going well he shows a commitment to Nash and Crosby, but not Iginla?

Ark2
02-19-2010, 08:03 PM
I just don't get why Crosby and Nash are set in stone. Even the media has bought into it. "Who's going to play RW with Crosby-Nash?" Am I missing something here? What has Nash ever done to garner that kind of confidence? I seem to recall him playing quite poorly during the last Olympics, he's having a poor season, he disappeared in last year's playoffs and the guy has never even cracked 80 points before in his career, yet he is this team's undisputed first line winger. Baffling.

stignasty
02-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Canada is doing a hell of a lot better this Olympics than it did in 2002, when they first lost to Sweden, then struggled the same way against Germany (yes, Germany!) as they did yesterday, and then tied against the Czechs. That tournament worked out pretty well. Holy overreaction.

The difference being the format this time around. Each division winner and one wildcard make the final 4. Thanks to the game last night, if we don't beat the US in regulation we're going to need some help getting the wildcard.

edn88
02-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Not a big Babcock fan right about now - maybe as others have said, because I am a Flames/Iginla fan, maybe cause he coaches the Red Wings, maybe cause he's a big fat jerk.

I sure want to see Iggy plays a big role in capturing gold for us this year.

Resolute 14
02-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Maybe this is just my Flames blinders

But I find it appalling how little respect Iginla is getting

Is he the Shannahan of this team? Is he the Niewendyk? The Fleury? The Nolan, heck Nolan did very little in Salt Lake, but at least he got regular powerplay time.

I'm just looking forward to Sunday now.....but the issue still bugs me.

At least the media is prodding a little bit.....

Thing is, it's not just Iginla. Richards and Morrow aren't getting any respect either, and those three were light years ahead of Getzlaf, Perry and Staal. Not to mention Thornton, Toews and Nash.

Babcock wanting to shorten his bench is fine, but he cut the wrong line. The Ducks line should have been dropped. After all, if you tell these three guys you want them to grind it out, and you need a grinding goal, why aren't you using these guys in the situation you are saying you want them in?

Just mind boggling.

RougeUnderoos
02-19-2010, 09:38 PM
I was talking about this after the 1st game and one poster came here claiming that was a compliment. To me when I read that its a clear sign of disrespect and a dislike for a player.

Do you think Babcock is 10 years old?

There is a difference between "we don't need him to score goals", which is what he said, and "we don't want him to score goals", which is what you appear to think he said.

For months they've been yakking about how all these guys will have to accept different roles, fewer minutes, yada yada yada. Now the coach says that again and suddenly "Babcock is an idiot, he doesn't like Iginla".

I don't like how the team is playing either, but I know it ain't because the coach doesn't like our local hero.

CGY12
02-20-2010, 03:08 AM
Do you think Babcock is 10 years old?

There is a difference between "we don't need him to score goals", which is what he said, and "we don't want him to score goals", which is what you appear to think he said.

For months they've been yakking about how all these guys will have to accept different roles, fewer minutes, yada yada yada. Now the coach says that again and suddenly "Babcock is an idiot, he doesn't like Iginla".

I don't like how the team is playing either, but I know it ain't because the coach doesn't like our local hero.

YOU DON`T TELL ONE OF YOUR TOP GOAL SCORERS STATISTICALLY OVER HIS CAREER THAT YOU DON`T NEED HIM TO SCORE!!!!

Like I`ve said repeatedly this guy has his personal favorites and that is fine. He will ride them whether they are playing good or not and that is absolutely the wrong idea and game plan. In a elimination tourny you gotta play who is playing well and not your personal favorites. His quote summed it up perfectly, the guy acknowledged the entire line wasnt playing well but he found MORE ice time for Nash (hasn`t accomplished anything in his career) and Crosby, but benched Iginla. If nobody can see that they have absolutely no clue in what they are watching, PERIOD!

RougeUnderoos
02-20-2010, 10:56 AM
YOU DON`T TELL ONE OF YOUR TOP GOAL SCORERS STATISTICALLY OVER HIS CAREER THAT YOU DON`T NEED HIM TO SCORE!!!!

Like I`ve said repeatedly this guy has his personal favorites and that is fine. He will ride them whether they are playing good or not and that is absolutely the wrong idea and game plan. In a elimination tourny you gotta play who is playing well and not your personal favorites. His quote summed it up perfectly, the guy acknowledged the entire line wasnt playing well but he found MORE ice time for Nash (hasn`t accomplished anything in his career) and Crosby, but benched Iginla. If nobody can see that they have absolutely no clue in what they are watching, PERIOD!

Ooh, capslock and bolded. Normally I would retreat when such a strong point is made, but...

YOU DON'T MOVE A GUY FROM THE FOURTH LINE TO THE FIRST LINE IF YOU FOR SOME CHILDISH REASON DON'T LIKE HIM AND WANT TO DISRESPECT HIM LIKE HE'S A GUEST ON THE JERRY SPRINGER SHOW.

AND IN OTHER NEWS, THE WHOLE GODDAMN TEAM IS GETTING SHUFFLED AROUND EVERY SHIFT SO MAYBE WE SHOULD STOP CRYING ABOUT OUR FAVOURITE PLAYER AND READING TOO MUCH INTO SOME OFF THE CUFF QUOTE FROM A PRESS CONFERENCE.

Flash Walken
02-20-2010, 11:04 AM
All this yelling is making my ears hurt!

Blaster86
02-20-2010, 11:06 AM
All this yelling is making my ears hurt!

All this dumb in one thread makes me brain hurt.

bubbsy
02-20-2010, 11:22 AM
... the more i think about it, the more i think iginla is likely injured. They tried it out, as he came back, but not 100%. Naturally, after the game they downplay the injury, as that kind of knowledge isn't something you want exposed in a short tournament like this.

HPLovecraft
02-20-2010, 11:22 AM
All this dumb in one thread makes me brain hurt.

I know, right...

Playfair's Hairgel
02-20-2010, 11:23 AM

I really think you guys are missing the boat...what he means he doesnt need Iggy to score goals. Iggy is there to accept another role, if you look at all the world junior teams players who are leading scorers in either there leagues or there teams have had to adapt to different roles. I think we have been very sucessful.

If they wanted pure goal scoring there are alot of other players who would have been chosen. I think you guys are over reacting.

Do you really think he is just that stupid to not play iggy; I am sure he is looking for or at something for the stretch run. In this tournament there is no time for chemistry; so as a coach you have to get creative and try different players in different situations; and make on the fly decisions.

Relax everyone.

Blaster86
02-20-2010, 11:48 AM
I know, right...

it's "inorite".

Ark2
02-20-2010, 12:51 PM
I really think you guys are missing the boat...what he means he doesnt need Iggy to score goals. Iggy is there to accept another role, if you look at all the world junior teams players who are leading scorers in either there leagues or there teams have had to adapt to different roles. I think we have been very sucessful.

If they wanted pure goal scoring there are alot of other players who would have been chosen. I think you guys are over reacting.

Do you really think he is just that stupid to not play iggy; I am sure he is looking for or at something for the stretch run. In this tournament there is no time for chemistry; so as a coach you have to get creative and try different players in different situations; and make on the fly decisions.

Relax everyone.

Yeah, we get it. People are saying that Babcock is stupid for not looking to the best goal scorer over the last decade to score goals. That what Jarome Iginla does. He scores goals. Telling him that he just needs to focus on hitting, and expecting him to hit and check makes little sense. What makes even less sense is that guys like Perry and Getzlaf are expected to be the goal scorers. Between the two of them, you have one 30 goal season, yet these are the guys that are being looked to to put up goals over Iginla. As I said, that is just baffling.

CGY12
02-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Everybody on this team needs to check and be hard to play against, it doesn't only apply to Jarome. Which makes the comment of not needing him to score a puzzling one considering he is 1 of 2 guys on the team that is a natural goal scorer. The truth of the matter is their were better options other than Iggy if that is the role you were looking for him to fill.

FanIn80
02-20-2010, 04:38 PM
If they wanted a Kris Draper, they should have brought a Kris Draper.

There are bigger guys on this team than Jarome Iginla. Telling a physically bigger 30-goal scorer to score goals, while you tell a physically smaller 50-goal scorer to check people has all the makings of a future rocket surgeon.

The Ditch
02-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah I don't get it, why even have him on the team then they could have picked better players to suit that role.

Iggy Snipe
02-20-2010, 05:20 PM
If Babcock does not need Iginla scoring goals than he is a f'ing idiot. No two ways about it. Jarome is a two time 50 goal scorer and deserves to be playing big minutes. No one on the team has played or done anything more or better than Iginla.

Babcock obviously has something against Iginla, and it is really too bad because team Canada is not as good without Iginla. Not playing Iginla makes Canada not as big of a threat. Thats like russia not playing Kovalchuck. It just doesn't make sense.

Iggy Snipe
02-20-2010, 05:35 PM
I feel bad for Iggy. He deserves better treatment. He is just such a beauty. Shame on Babcock for not playing Iginla. He is just as good or better than any player on that team with exception of Sid.

HPLovecraft
02-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Let's hope Babcock has better mystical NHL coaching powers than Ron Wilson...

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee50/kurtenblog/RonWilsonCheatSheet003.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee50/kurtenblog/RonWilsonCheatSheet001.jpg

VladtheImpaler
02-20-2010, 06:47 PM
I feel bad for Iggy. He deserves better treatment. He is just such a beauty. Shame on Babcock for not playing Iginla. He is just as good or better than any player on that team with exception of Sid.

You guys are really unbelievable. By the end of the Olympics, if this thread keeps going, Iggy will be interchangeable with Orr, Messier, Howe and Gretzky...
For all we know, the only reason Iginla was even chosen was because he is one of (if not the) most respected players in the NHL, to provide leadership, etc. Iggy has had one good month this season, so on form he could have been left off the team. So, when Babcock says Iggy is not there to score goals he pretty much confirms that - if Yzerman & Co wanted a player for pure scoring in that spot they would have taken Stamkos, maybe St. Louis or Carter. Obviously, they picked Iggy in a grinder/veteran role. Is that a mistake? Perhaps, but you guys wailing about Babcock is completely misguided.

HPLovecraft
02-20-2010, 06:58 PM
You guys are really unbelievable. By the end of the Olympics, if this thread keeps going, Iggy will be interchangeable with Orr, Messier, Howe and Gretzky...
For all we know, the only reason Iginla was even chosen was because he is one of (if not the) most respected players in the NHL, to provide leadership, etc. Iggy has had one good month this season, so on form he could have been left off the team. So, when Babcock says Iggy is not there to score goals he pretty much confirms that - if Yzerman & Co wanted a player for pure scoring in that spot they would have taken Stamkos, maybe St. Louis or Carter. Obviously, they picked Iggy in a grinder/veteran role. Is that a mistake? Perhaps, but you guys wailing about Babcock is completely misguided.

It's been said before, but if that were the case, guys like Nash, etc., shouldn't be on this team either since they're having seasons on par with Iginla's and/or worse.

questionmotives
02-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Dear Mike Babcock,

If we do not win the gold medal let me be the first to say go %^& yourself.

VladtheImpaler
02-20-2010, 07:08 PM
It's been said before, but if that were the case, guys like Nash, etc., shouldn't be on this team either since they're having seasons on par with Iginla's and/or worse.

That's a fair comment. I personally do not like Nash at all - he floats the vast majority of the time.

CGY12
02-20-2010, 07:10 PM

You truly got to be an idiot if you believe this team was chosen strictly based on this year and not on reputation/proven players. Even if it was based on this year their are guys you don't even mention that have similar numbers. Iggy isn't a 4th line grinder! Why would you select a guy for a team that is involved in such a short elimination game tournament that has never played in that role EVER in his entire career and hope he can adapt and excel at it? Why not just take somebody who is familiar with the role and is known to be great at it? This makes absolutely no sense and the people who don't understand this are clueless.

VladtheImpaler
02-20-2010, 07:32 PM
You truly got to be an idiot if you believe this team was chosen strictly based on this year and not on reputation/proven players. Even if it was based on this year their are guys you don't even mention that have similar numbers. Iggy isn't a 4th line grinder! Why would you select a guy for a team that is involved in such a short elimination game tournament that has never played in that role EVER in his entire career and hope he can adapt and excel at it? Why not just take somebody who is familiar with the role and is known to be great at it? This makes absolutely no sense and the people who don't understand this are clueless.

Iginla was once a physical presence and an excellent defensive player - maybe Yzerman hasn't seen him play in the last 3 years? ;)

CGY12
02-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Their is a big difference in being a physical presence and good defensive player playing on the top 2 lines than being a good defensive player and physical presence on the 4th line playing in shut down role against the other teams best line.

VladtheImpaler
02-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Their is a big difference in being a physical presence and good defensive player playing on the top 2 lines than being a good defensive player and physical presence on the 4th line playing in shut down role against the other teams best line.

Well, I'm sure they would have taken Madden and Draper if they weren't too old. I can't really think of any other high-end Canadian checkers...

gallione11
02-20-2010, 07:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/ice_hockey/news?slug=capress-oly_hko_crosby_linemate-194093928&prov=capress&type=lgns

Sorry for not hotlinking it ; couldn't get it to happen on my phone. However this states Mike Richards took the third spot on Crosby's line today in practice. Iginla still on the 4th...

CGY12
02-20-2010, 07:49 PM
High end or not anybody with experience in that position and that does it marginally well is a better option than Iggy. It's ridiculous to expect anybody to play a role their aren't accustomed to in a short elimination game tournament. It would be like Team USA selecting Conroy and naming him the #1 center LMAO.

VladtheImpaler
02-20-2010, 08:32 PM
High end or not anybody with experience in that position and that does it marginally well is a better option than Iggy. It's ridiculous to expect anybody to play a role their aren't accustomed to in a short elimination game tournament. It would be like Team USA selecting Conroy and naming him the #1 center LMAO.

On an all-star team players have to fit into roles they are not used to. Look at the way this team was built:

Crosby is obviously the #1 C, no matter what, and, based on past experience, the brass thinks Nash and Crosby have chemistry, so your #1 line is

Nash-Crosby-X

For line #2 they just went with existing chemistry, and this line will not be broken up

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley

Now, I personally can't stand Thornton and Heatley, and would never take either one into "battle", but I wasn't picking this team - in any case, this line is set in stone and is the default second line.

Now for the 3rd line they went with existing chemistryas well, so your 3rd line is

X-Getzlaf-Perry

You can't break these up, as Perry is not much without Getzlaf.

Your 4th line is

Morrow-Richards/Toews-X

The way they have this set up is Iginla can only be a 1st liner or a 4th liner, unless they take the bizarre step of putting him on LW.
I really don't like the make-up of this team, but that's neither here nor there. Obviously, all these hockey minds think he fits better on the 4th line, as opposed to the 1st. I think he fits on the 2nd, but the way this team was chosen, there is no spot there...

CGY12
02-20-2010, 08:45 PM
What I'm saying is the way they've run this and picked this team they have basically backed themselves into a corner and its now resulting in massive line juggling. Ironically enough the line that has looked the worst (Staal, Getzlaf, Perry) hasn't been touched and is seeing regular minutes. Nothing in the past has shown that Nash and Crosby have this insane amount of chemistry, so why they continue to force this I have no idea. Also I understand the idea of dressing all 13 forwards and 7 dmen but once the elimination round starts we better not be seeing this.

BandWagoner
02-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Babcock wants to give the ice time to the other people who scored a hatricks against an AHL (or worse) caliber team...

Oh wait...:rolleyes:

VladtheImpaler
02-20-2010, 09:27 PM
What I'm saying is the way they've run this and picked this team they have basically backed themselves into a corner and its now resulting in massive line juggling. Ironically enough the line that has looked the worst (Staal, Getzlaf, Perry) hasn't been touched and is seeing regular minutes. Nothing in the past has shown that Nash and Crosby have this insane amount of chemistry, so why they continue to force this I have no idea. Also I understand the idea of dressing all 13 forwards and 7 dmen but once the elimination round starts we better not be seeing this.

That's what I am saying as well. But I don't think this is some sort of insult to Iginla - it's just a messy roster.

CGY12
02-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I think it is fair to say that in the process they have insulted him and shown no faith in one of the few guys who knows what it takes and how to perform in this olympic tournament.

sa226
02-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Is anybody else going to be hoping that the Crosby-Nash-Richards line continues to suck, so that they give Iggy more than 3 measley shifts with them.

I don't really mind Iggy with Morrow and Toews, but they have to give them a regular shift to be effective. Its hard to set a physical tone when the the physical guys get 10 seconds of ice time for every 2 minutes that those sissies Getzlaf and Heatley are getting.

silentsim
02-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Is anybody else going to be hoping that the Crosby-Nash-Richards line continues to suck, so that they give Iggy more than 3 measley shifts with them.

I don't really mind Iggy with Morrow and Toews, but they have to give them a regular shift to be effective. Its hard to set a physical tone when the the physical guys get 10 seconds of ice time for every 2 minutes that those sissies Getzlaf and Heatley are getting.

No. I hope they tear it up. I could care less how much Iggy plays if Canada dominates.

Machiavelli
02-20-2010, 10:06 PM
''We wanted to get Nash back on right wing where he seems to me the most comfortable, and have Jarome (Iginla) play with (Brenden) Morrow and (Jonathan) Teows in a more physical situation,'' said Babcock. ''That's kind of our plan.

''Richards is a bit of a give-and-go player. He's had a lot of success with that, so he could be a good player with Crosby and the big guy (Nash) going to the net.''

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/sports/article/458034--as-the-line-changes-richards-the-latest-to-be-on-trio-with-crosby-and-nash

CGY12
02-20-2010, 10:10 PM

I agree

I_H8_Crawford
02-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Babcock is an idiot because of how he is treating Luongo as well.

Luongo should be the starter going forward - he put up a shutout, and Brodeur gave up 2 goals and barely beat the Swiss.

Not to mention, Luongo in recent history has had more success than Brodeur - Luongo has made it out of the 1st round.

Why isn't Luongo starting?

questionmotives
02-21-2010, 11:12 AM

http://blstb.msn.com/i/34/93BC269E28A4AD9BED592155B89CE.jpg

burning_acid1
02-21-2010, 11:31 AM
IMO, Babcock has done a poor job coaching thus far

Yamer
02-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Babcock is an idiot because of how he is treating Luongo as well.

Luongo should be the starter going forward - he put up a shutout, and Brodeur gave up 2 goals and barely beat the Swiss.

Not to mention, Luongo in recent history has had more success than Brodeur - Luongo has made it out of the 1st round.

Brodeur obviously had the tougher test in the Swiss. Really tough to compare performances in this instance.

Sure, Luongo got out of the first round in a 7 game series to a lesser opponent (St. Louis as opposed to Carolina).

Add that Brodeur is the definition of a 'Money Goaltender' and the decision comes a little easier.

Also, on the subject of Iginla playing a fourth line role. Personally, I like it. Not only does it fit in with the style he will be playing once he gets back to Calgary, but I would rather have Iginla (with hands) playing that role as opposed to Draper (one-dimensional). Not saying that it is necessarily Draper who would fill that role, just that I prefer to have someone with multiple skill sets in that position.

However, the homer in me wants to see Iggy play 15 mins plus and light the lamp every play. The patriot in me wants to see gold dangling just above the Maple Leaf, and I am willing to compromise.

I_H8_Crawford
02-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Brodeur obviously had the tougher test in the Swiss. Really tough to compare performances in this instance.

Sure, Luongo got out of the first round in a 7 game series to a lesser opponent (St. Louis as opposed to Carolina).

Add that Brodeur is the definition of a 'Money Goaltender' and the decision comes a little easier.

Yeah I want Brodeur starting too, just showing that the same arguments being made for Iginla deserving more playing time can be applied to Luongo as well, and I have a feeling a lot of the posters "outraged" here with Iginla's "treatment" would mock Canucks fans making that type of case for Luongo.

Regardless of what some people may think, IMO Babcock was the best choice for head coach, his team is undefeated, and people want to hang him because he won't let their favorite player play 25 mins/game like they are used to here in Calgary.

CGY12
02-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah I want Brodeur starting too, just showing that the same arguments being made for Iginla deserving more playing time can be applied to Luongo as well, and I have a feeling a lot of the posters "outraged" here with Iginla's "treatment" would mock Canucks fans making that type of case for Luongo.

Regardless of what some people may think, IMO Babcock was the best choice for head coach, his team is undefeated, and people want to hang him because he won't let their favorite player play 25 mins/game like they are used to here in Calgary.

Man either you have trouble reading or you just like posting garbage to get a reaction. You should probably read the thread again before writting such nonsense.

+1 for being one of the worst posters on this board.

I_H8_Crawford
02-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Man either you have trouble reading or you just like posting garbage to get a reaction. You should probably read the thread again before writting such nonsense.

+1 for being one of the worst posters on this board.
So there aren't posters claiming that Babcock is an idiot, and that he wasn't even the best choice as HC for Canada? Could've fooled me.

I didn't say EVERYONE, I said SOME and last I checked, that is accurate.

One person even suggest Brent Sutter would be a better choice, lol.

Maybe YOU should read this thread, and if you don't like my posts, please feel free to put me on your ignore list, and feel the satisfaction in knowing that I will lose sleep over that fact too.

The hyperbole I was using IMO is correct - people are taking such great offence to it because it is Iginla - the leader of our favorite team, and only Flame on the roster, so of course we all want to see him dominate and lead Canada to gold.

But a much smarter man in Mike Babcock has a different plan for Iginla, and you now have 2 or 3 different threads bitching about how idiotic Babcock is, and how he is "overrated" as a coach, etc etc etc.

It gets a little tiring seeing all these threads about it when Babcock's team is undefeated.

Just like the Phaneuf trade - wait until the end of the season/tourney before passing judgement.

I would trust Babcock coaching Team Canada more than I would trust anyone on this board, even if it is with Iginla playing 6 mins a game.

Smell My Finger
02-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Babcock defines hypocrit!

flip
02-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Smell My Finger defines not knowing what hypocrit means!

FanIn80
02-21-2010, 08:23 PM

...which is worse than just simply not spelling it right.

CGY12
02-21-2010, 08:24 PM
and the coaching decisions bite us in the butt again.

Brodeur in net
Iginla not on a line with Sid and Nash
Not calling timeout after one of the most dominant shifts EVER
Perry on the ice with less than a minute remaining

flip
02-21-2010, 08:27 PM
and the coaching decisions bite us in the butt again.

Brodeur in net
Iginla not on a line with Sid and Nash
Not calling timeout after one of the most dominant shifts EVER
Perry on the ice with less than a minute remaining

Yeah, putting Brodeur in net was universally panned before the game :rolleyes:. And Iggy played like half the game with Sid and Nash.

Brodeur should have been pulled after the 2nd goal, Perry made a lazy play in the last minute and the TO should have been used.

flames_1987
02-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah, putting Brodeur in net was universally panned before the game :rolleyes:. And Iggy played like half the game with Sid and Nash.

Brodeur should have been pulled after the 2nd goal, Perry made a lazy play in the last minute and the TO should have been used.

Please he played one period and once again that line performed. Look at Crosbys statistics with and without Iggy on his line. Day and night

CGY12
02-21-2010, 08:34 PM

Whether it was "universally panned" before the game or not, at this point it looks like a questionable decision. Iggy did NOT play half the game with Crosby or Nash. He was on a PP unit the entire game but saw limited ice because Babcock kept going to the SJ line. He was put on the top line in the 3rd period but didn't really get consisntent time with them till the last 10 minutes because of Team Canada penalty problems. The first shift 5 on 5 he got with Sid, it lasted 5 seconds cause Sid took a penalty. The no timeout and Perry on the ice were just brain cramps.

braveheart57
02-21-2010, 08:49 PM
On an all-star team players have to fit into roles they are not used to. Look at the way this team was built:

Crosby is obviously the #1 C, no matter what, and, based on past experience, the brass thinks Nash and Crosby have chemistry, so your #1 line is

Nash-Crosby-X

For line #2 they just went with existing chemistry, and this line will not be broken up

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley

Now, I personally can't stand Thornton and Heatley, and would never take either one into "battle", but I wasn't picking this team - in any case, this line is set in stone and is the default second line.

Now for the 3rd line they went with existing chemistryas well, so your 3rd line is

X-Getzlaf-Perry

You can't break these up, as Perry is not much without Getzlaf.

Your 4th line is

Morrow-Richards/Toews-X

The way they have this set up is Iginla can only be a 1st liner or a 4th liner, unless they take the bizarre step of putting him on LW.
I really don't like the make-up of this team, but that's neither here nor there. Obviously, all these hockey minds think he fits better on the 4th line, as opposed to the 1st. I think he fits on the 2nd, but the way this team was chosen, there is no spot there...

Steve Yzerman still learning the ropes as a GM. I think Brian Burke did a better job, at least in his choices of players like Drury (not great offensive stats, but real good on face-offs and penalty killing). Also, hard-working guys like Callahan, etc... but still plenty of games remaining. The final story is not yet written.

kirant
02-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Dear Babcock:
Please save your own hide by starting Luongo (spit) Tuesday. And please put Iginla on Crosby's line.

Thanks.

Smell My Finger
02-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Babcock go sniff Iggy's jock strap.

minnow
02-21-2010, 10:11 PM

People really wanted Brodeur to start this game? hmmm, stupid people. And Iggy didn't play half the game with the Crosby line. over exageration:rolleyes:

Fairweather
02-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Damnit, if Iginla had been out there more and Luongo instead of Baseball Brodeur, we would've HAD this one. Three goals on Miller and he didn't even screw up.

Guess what? The game we actually outright won, Iginla was a force with a hattrick and Luongo was a wall with the shutout.

Smell My Finger
02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Iginla played 5 min with Crosby is my guess. At the end of the game when Babcrap needed a tying goal. Bail yourself out Babcock by playing Nash Crosby Iginla next game for the ENTIRE game. You clown.