PDA

View Full Version : Olympic PGT - CAN 3 - SUI 2 SO

Locke
02-18-2010, 08:24 PM
What did you guys think?

I personally was not a fan of Doughty or Thornton in that game, some strange coaching decisions and hopefully Iggy is fine.

Drew Doughty? Ugh, other than make turnovers, poor pinches and crappy passes, what does this kid bring?

Resolute 14
02-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Either Iginla is hurt or Babcock is an idiot.

Dan02
02-18-2010, 08:25 PM
You know I wouldn't mind having Doughty there as the 7th dman for some experience going forward, the problem lies in the fact Neidermayer and Seabrook locked up the 7th dman spot therefore Doughty has to play more. I haven't seen Anahiem play enough this year because I didn't think Neidermayer had lost it as much as he has. He's basically playing like Green, except not good like Green is.

habernac
02-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Why leave the guy who scored twice on Hiller not a week ago on the bench?

Locke
02-18-2010, 08:27 PM
You know I wouldn't mind having Doughty there as the 7th dman for some experience going forward, the problem lies in the fact Neidermayer and Seabrook locked up the 7th dman spot therefore Doughty has to play more.

Doughty was always trying to make this perfect pass, or this great spinorama, but he never made the simple play, never got the puck through traffic, rarely held the zone.

So they took him because he tries to make the fancy play but fails at the basics? They could have taken Brian Campbell instead if that was the case.

Did Joe Thornton win a single faceoff the whole game?

Fairweather
02-18-2010, 08:28 PM
The only way it could be explained is that they're still trying stuff out and hoping they spark.

When it's time to play against the Americans, they better use what has been working instead ><

Resolute 14
02-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Did Joe Thornton win a single faceoff the whole game?

Even simpler: did Joe Thornton accomplish anything in that game?

browna
02-18-2010, 08:30 PM
What was Pronger doing out there to start the 4 on 4 in OT?

Locke

I dont know, I saw a lot of hail mary passes so that he wouldnt actually have to drive to the net or shoot.

kirant
The two players I disliked both games were Boyle and Neidermeyer. I have seen very few completed passes (simple ones even) between the two, and Boyle's Offensive Defenceman capabilities have looked pretty limitedl.

zamler
Either Iginla is hurt or Babcock is an idiot.
It could be both.

Dan02
I actually didn't mind them whipping the SJ boys, I thought they were the best line out there for the Canadians tonight.

Aleks
02-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Was a close but clumsy game out there....a few bad bad turnovers, and a really unfortunate deflection off marleau (I've done that before...oops).....At least we walked with 2.....First period was rockin though.

Resolute 14
02-18-2010, 08:32 PM
I actually didn't mind them whipping the SJ boys, I thought they were the best line out there for the Canadians tonight.

Much like they are for the Sharks, they were great early on, but progressively got worse as the pressure grew.

Infamous1
02-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Hopefully Babcock plays guys that are on or working hard and doesn't mind pissing some of them off if they are playing poorly. It looks like some of the older players can get away with anything and not be benched (Pronger, Niedermeyer).

braveheart57
02-18-2010, 08:34 PM
IMO, Canada was lacking grit, I mean it looked like they were trying to get by with a half-baked effort. The guys they have on the roster are capable of playing ruggedly, but maybe they were trying to impress the crowd with fancy plays, instead of just winning as a result of hard work.

Locke
02-18-2010, 08:34 PM
The SJ players just arent in there enough, they should call Jumbo Joe 'Staypuft' instead, he'll do whatever it takes to stay out of difficult areas.

The other 3 I thought played fairly well, but, considering their size, they're knocked off the puck really easily. They were still the best guys on the ice for Canada today.

I wasnt happy with Niedermayer or Doughty, I thought they were easily the weakest link on defence. Why, why, why, why was Doughty on the PP every time or on for 4 on 4 or playing the last 2 minutes? He did jack other than cost a goal all night.

PyramidsofMars
02-18-2010, 08:35 PM
I wish I was neutral on this so I could have enjoyed this hockey game more... By no means a disastrous Canadian performance, but certainly there were aspects that spoiled my enjoyment of the game.

d_phaneuf
02-18-2010, 08:37 PM
why all the hate for the sharks?

outside of marleau they were good, they got both goals for Canada

more than the Getzlaf line, or the Crosby line

I did like it when Toews got to play with Crosby and Nash that seemed to get them going a bit in the third

only real problem I had with Babcock was benching Doughty after 1 mistake, a little harsh when he had been playing well

Neidermeyer is lost out there though, he is the worst pick on the team and its not even close

and I am assuming Iginla is injured for him to be benched, I don't think hes the top winger on the team like many people said, but he should be playing more than Morrow and Bergeron

SuperMatt18
02-18-2010, 08:38 PM
I was not happy with the pick of Seabrook from when the team was announced and today we saw that if he is not playing with Keith he is a liability.

I would rather have Bouwmeester, Dion, Robidas, Green etc over Seabrook and probably over one of Pronger or Nieds(take one to be the defensive veteran).

I think Doughty had a bad game but he at least showed some flashes of what he can do. His biggest mistake tonight was trying to do too much, which really was the problem for the whole team. They tried to be too pretty and make the perfect play, instead of just playing hockey.

I have a feeling that one of the problems that Canada always has in the first couple games of tourneys like these is that they play like it is an all-star game and try and be too pretty and do not work nearly hard enough since they think their talent will get them by.

Brodeur played good tonight and made some huge saves in the first and the second when he was needed or else that game could have gotten away from Canada. I have to think that he starts on Sunday.

The real story tonight though was that the Swiss wanted it more, tonight they showed that hard work and determination can nullify pure skill. The Swiss will probably upset somebody in the Quarter Finals of this tournament and I would not want to play them in the Quarters.

Not really related to the game but I really think that the NHL needs to go to a 3-2-1 point system and it really would make the game better late in games.

d_phaneuf
02-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Posts like Babcock is an idiot offer nothing though, the guy has won at every level he has coached at, including the highest level of stanley cup

just because Iginla didn't play in the third doesn't make him an idiot, while I disagree (along with others) about some of his choices

I have no doubt in my mind he knows more about coaching/decisions/matchups than 99.9999999% of the world

Iowa_Flames_Fan
02-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I thought Doughty was awful. Pronger was mediocre. Niedermayer was okay, but looked passive and flat-footed on the first Swiss goal. Boyle looked decent most of the game, but I have no idea what he was doing on that last PP--twice forcing the puck into passing lanes that aren't there instead of taking the easy pass to the open man. Yikes.

Weber was solid. Keith was very good. Morrow was flying--no idea why he wasn't out there every other shift. Crosby was very good, but the forward group overall was quite poor, constantly forcing the play and getting way too cute with the puck. Pretty much the only exception was the trio of Morrow, Iginla and Richards, who seemed to be the only line that could get anything resembling a cycle going.

Hopefully things improve as the tournament goes on. If they bring this caliber of game against the US, they'll lose.

sa226
02-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I actually don't really care about the eek it out win. The swiss really played the game of their lives they were playing on the edge hence all the penalties.

The lower echelon teams play that passive style, because they have to. That gave Canada fits.

I think when we play a team with close to equal talent, we will play much better.

CGY12
02-18-2010, 08:47 PM
why all the hate for the sharks?

outside of marleau they were good, they got both goals for Canada

more than the Getzlaf line, or the Crosby line

I did like it when Toews got to play with Crosby and Nash that seemed to get them going a bit in the third

only real problem I had with Babcock was benching Doughty after 1 mistake, a little harsh when he had been playing well

Neidermeyer is lost out there though, he is the worst pick on the team and its not even close

and I am assuming Iginla is injured for him to be benched, I don't think hes the top winger on the team like many people said, but he should be playing more than Morrow and Bergeron

What game were you watching? Toews was completely ineffective in that 3rd period on the top line, which made them a non factor. Iginla has had about 15 minutes of ice time in 120 minutes of play, has scored 3 times and set up Crosby on 3 glorious occasions yet he still finds himself as Babcocks whipping boy. If he isn't hurt BabCOCK is a moron.

Getzlaf was a turnover machine in that 3rd period, Niedermayer looked like beer leaguer the entire game, Pronger was making stupid selfish plays all night, Staal couldn't even receive a pass and Nash was trying to be Bobby Orr the entire game and these guys were rewarded with MORE ice time. Embarassing bench management and BabCOCK needs to get his head out of his a$$ if this nation has any chance at the gold medal!

BACKCHECK!!!
02-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Tonight Switzerland embarassed a team of fat and sassy millionaires.

Canada walked away with 2/3rds of a win against a nobody team.

I'm sure the Russians are shaking in their boots.

Ark2
02-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Drew Doughty? Ugh, other than make turnovers, poor pinches and crappy passes, what does this kid bring?

I don't think he was as bad as some are suggesting, but I think the kid is overrated. Mckenzie saying the other day that he could win the Norris trophy this year is a joke. He's just too flashy.

sa226
02-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Posts like Babcock is an idiot offer nothing though, the guy has won at every level he has coached at, including the highest level of stanley cup

just because Iginla didn't play in the third doesn't make him an idiot, while I disagree (along with others) about some of his choices

I have no doubt in my mind he knows more about coaching/decisions/matchups than 99.9999999% of the world

Thats a very level headed post considering your team allegiance and your presence in this forum, not to mention your user name.

I agree you don't win the stanley cup multiple times by being an idiot. Thats why its so confusing.

With player selection there was a big emphasis on players not playing out of position. Hence why Seabrook was chosen instead of Bouwmeester.

So why move centers like toews and Richards up with Crosby when you have a guy who just scored a hat trick.

It always difficult to take the flames blinders off, but I'm trying my best and its still very confusing.

Erick Estrada
02-18-2010, 08:54 PM

The Sharks line was the only line that was consistently dangerous out there. I have no problems with them getting the ice time. However Team Canada got out coached by the Swiss. With the talent discrepancy between the two teams there is no way the game should have gone past regulation. Babcock looked like a rookie coach out there juggling lines and benching players.

d_phaneuf
02-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Thats a very level headed post considering your team allegiance and your presence in this forum, not to mention your user name.

I agree you don't win the stanley cup multiple times by being an idiot. Thats why its so confusing.

With player selection there was a big emphasis on players not playing out of position. Hence why Seabrook was chosen instead of Bouwmeester.

So why move centers like toews and Richards up with Crosby when you have a guy who just scored a hat trick.

It always difficult to take the flames blinders off, but I'm trying my best and its still very confusing.

what does my team allegiance have to do with anything?

at this point its Canada, I don't care who plays for them I just want them to do well (I have said repeatedly that Brodeur should start over Luongo if you think its a Canucks bias, and I also said after the last game that I loved Iginla's hat trick if you think its an anti-Iginla bias)

Crosby played a lot better in the third than he did in the 1st 2 periods, that was when Toews was put on that line. That is why I liked the move, the first line needs to be built to get Sidney going. No matter who the two wingers are.

MissTeeks
02-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Puck Daddy's Twitter from Babcock's post-game presser:

wyshynski (http://twitter.com/wyshynski) No Seabrook injury. Coach's decision. Ditto no Iggy in 4 on 4

zamler
02-18-2010, 08:58 PM
So Babcock really was a tool behind the bench, is he losing it or on a power trip maybe?

HPLovecraft
02-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Appears Iginla wasn't injured, just benched in preference of a Toews that did nothing.

Erick Estrada
02-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Puck Daddy's Twitter from Babcock's post-game presser:

Seabrook was a fringe pick but singling him out doesn't seem fair when other players were having their share of miscues.

PyramidsofMars
02-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Tonight Switzerland embarassed a team of fat and sassy millionaires.

Canada walked away with 2/3rds of a win against a nobody team.

The Swiss are a much improved team in recent years and as someone whose background is half-Swiss I can assure you that the support is there for a future power and for continuing improvement in Swiss hockey. The Swiss league will only grow and the calibre of Swiss hockey players will only grow. Tonight they proved they are a capable hockey team, and I sincerely doubt that they're done for the tourney.

CGY12
02-18-2010, 09:01 PM

at this point its Canada, I don't care who plays for them I just want them to do well (I have said repeatedly that Brodeur should start over Luongo if you think its a Canucks bias, and I also said after the last game that I loved Iginla's hat trick if you think its an anti-Iginla bias)

Crosby played a lot better in the third than he did in the 1st 2 periods, that was when Toews was put on that line. That is why I liked the move, the first line needs to be built to get Sidney going. No matter who the two wingers are.

Crosby was a complete non factor in that 3rd. He had the one great dash to the net where he was stopped on the backhand but besides that he was a non factor. Did Toews even touch the puck in that 3rd? It seemed like the only play that line had in the 3rd was dish it to Nash and hope he could drive hard wide to the net every single time which the Swiss defenders played perfectly and redered pretty much useless.

Resolute 14
02-18-2010, 09:04 PM

Crosby played better when he started shooting the bloody puck instead of looking to play cute. Iginla fed Crosby with good passes repeatedly in the first, something Toews failed to do in the third. Effectively, you are arguing that Iginla got benched because of Crosby's poor decisions.

simonsays
02-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Pretty frustrating game to watch. Lots of beautiful setups with no finish, getting out hustled and got out goaltended. Marty was fine, but Hiller was unreal. Fantastic rebound control, which could be partly because he didn't actually face too many shots through traffic.

This isn't the allstar break, and goals don't depend on how many assists you're handing out. Force a rebound or two and expect that one of the other superstars on the team will be the first to the puck.

At least Babcock didn't put Iginla in the shootout.

calgARI
02-18-2010, 09:22 PM

Has he ever accomplished anything in a game of any importance?

calgARI
02-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Coaching staff needs to realize that this is not an 82-game season. They do not have much time to generate the right combinations and chemistry. That is why taking Iginla off the Crosby line is so stupid. You have to stick with positive early results and build chemistry as fast as you possibly can. That was butchered tonight and there is one game left in the preliminary round now. Lack of chemistry and cohesion is what killed the team in 06 and made their offense completely ineffective.

sa226
02-18-2010, 09:33 PM

I was actually agreeing with you with a friendly jab at the beginning. Sorry that I stirred up some NW division hate.

howard_the_duck
02-18-2010, 09:36 PM
The Sharks line was the only line that was consistently dangerous out there. I have no problems with them getting the ice time. However Team Canada got out coached by the Swiss. With the talent discrepancy between the two teams there is no way the game should have gone past regulation. Babcock looked like a rookie coach out there juggling lines and benching players.

See I think he is overcoaching this team right now. Throwing Bergeron out there for faceoffs and then pulling him off the ice, panicking and splitting up proven d-pairings, and benching proven veterans such as Iginla.

He is coaching like its game 7 of the finals...yet this team has not had the chance to develop the chemistry that a team like that would have. He is micro-managing the talent and not letting it naturally develop.

Azure
02-18-2010, 09:43 PM
See I think he is overcoaching this team right now. Throwing Bergeron out there for faceoffs and then pulling him off the ice, panicking and splitting up proven d-pairings, and benching proven veterans such as Iginla.

He is coaching like its game 7 of the finals...yet this team has not had the chance to develop the chemistry that a team like that would have. He is micro-managing the talent and not letting it naturally develop.

Overcoaching is what I wanted to say too.

Babcock is trying to win this game from behind the bench instead of letting the players win it on the ice.

I honestly don't get it. He pulled Iginla off the Crosby line, fine, for whatever reason.

So he puts Iginla, Richards and Morrow together and they have one HELL of a shift and bang, none of them see the ice again? What the???

If he keeps pulling crap like that and benching players for whatever reason he is a moron and I don't give a crap if he's won at every single level. Send him home and let Lindy Ruff run the bench.

Locke
02-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Coaching staff needs to realize that this is not an 82-game season. They do not have much time to generate the right combinations and chemistry. That is why taking Iginla off the Crosby line is so stupid. You have to stick with positive early results and build chemistry as fast as you possibly can. That was butchered tonight and there is one game left in the preliminary round now. Lack of chemistry and cohesion is what killed the team in 06 and made their offense completely ineffective.

I echo this sentiment, quite frankly 2 goals from the group of players on the ice tonight considering the talent discrepancy is absolutely unacceptable.

That surrendered point could be costly. Strange things happen in short tournaments.

d_phaneuf
02-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I do think one problem might be that Babcock might feel pigeonholed in to certain combos, like the Getzlaf line isn't working. Yet he seems hesitant to split them up.

Or I wouldn't mind seeing Nash with Heatley and Thornton etc.

I think if things don't go well in the 1st period against the US it may be time to break up those team specific combos

arloiginla
02-18-2010, 09:50 PM
I do think one problem might be that Babcock might feel pigeonholed in to certain combos, like the Getzlaf line isn't working. Yet he seems hesitant to split them up.

I think if things don't go well in the 1st period against the US it may be time to break up those team specific combos

Then that's poor coaching too. He's loathe to split Getzlaf and Perry up but has no problem splitting Crosby and Iginla up.

In a short tournament, you don't go with what worked in the NHL, or what worked in past years. You go with what's working at the moment.

Ark2
02-18-2010, 09:52 PM
After thinking about it, I believe that Bergeron keeps being put on the top line because management have identified him as the guy who can shut down Ovechkin, much like Zetterberg was used to shutdown Crosby during the SCF last season. Of course, for him to be effective in this position, he would have to have a fair bit of ice time, hence him continually being given a spot on the top line. I suppose the idea behind this is that Crosby and Nash would provide the necessary offense, and Bergeron would keep Ovechkin (or whomever the other team's top sniper may be) in check.

Unfortuneately, Iginla doesn't seem to have a place on this team. They are sold on the Sharks line, and Perry and Getzlaf seem to get a free pass because they play together on the Ducks, so the only guy that Iggy can beat out is Staal, but since they've got Staal playing left wing, and Iggy is right wing, he's unlikely to do that either. The fourth line barely plays and hence, Iginla gets shafted on ice time.

Really what bothers me about this is that Canada seems to be the only team that is specifically altering their roster for match-ups that have not happened (nor may they ever). You don't see Russia putting some fringe player in their top six because he has a decent two-way game. Every other team has put their best players out there and show confidence in their players and their abilities in letting them go out there and do what they have to do. If Canada is going to win the Gold, they will win because they have the best players, not because they have the best coaching staff, and this is something that Babcock needs to understand.

HPLovecraft
02-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Then that's poor coaching too. He's loathe to split Getzlaf and Perry up but has no problem splitting Crosby and Iginla up.

In a short tournament, you don't go with what worked in the NHL, or what worked in past years. You go with what's working at the moment.

Bergeron was chosen specifically because of what worked 5+ years ago. It's pretty clear the philosophy this Olympics was chemistry, which isn't a bad idea. That being said, it's strange they chose Seabrook to be on this team to play him with Keith when all they do is let him set on the bench for the entire game.

Azure
02-18-2010, 09:53 PM

So he won't split up the team specific combos like the Getzlaf/Perry combo despite it not working, but he's more than eager to take Iginla and Richards and basically play them anywhere he pleases, and when they respond he benches them?

Like what the frack man.

Azure
02-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Bergeron was chosen specifically because of what worked 5+ years ago. It's pretty clear the philosophy this Olympics was chemistry, which isn't a bad idea. That being said, it's strange they chose Seabrook to be on this team to play him with Keith when all they do is let him set on the bench for the entire game.

Well Seabrook/Keith together wasn't working out very well. So they had to bench him.

Which brings us back to the Bouwmeester question. Would he be more effective than Seabrook?

looooob
02-18-2010, 09:56 PM
well it is a bad idea to base it on chemistry from a teenage tourney 5 years ago. frick bring Langkow and try and repatriate Dominichelli and roll them and Iginla 1996 style if its world junior chemistry you want

Azure
02-18-2010, 09:56 PM
After thinking about it, I believe that Bergeron keeps being put on the top line because management have identified him as the guy who can shut down Ovechkin, much like Zetterberg was used to shutdown Crosby during the SCF last season. Of course, for him to be effective in this position, he would have to have a fair bit of ice time, hence him continually being given a spot on the top line. I suppose the idea behind this is that Crosby and Nash would provide the necessary offense, and Bergeron would keep Ovechkin (or whomever the other team's top sniper may be) in check.

Unfortuneately, Iginla doesn't seem to have a place on this team. They are sold on the Sharks line, and Perry and Getzlaf seem to get a free pass because they play together on the Ducks, so the only guy that Iggy can beat out is Staal, but since they've got Staal playing left wing, and Iggy is right wing, he's unlikely to do that either. The fourth line barely plays and hence, Iginla gets shafted on ice time.

Really what bothers me about this is that Canada seems to be the only team that is specifically altering their roster for match-ups that have not happened (nor may they ever). You don't see Russia putting some fringe player in their top six because he has a decent two-way game. Every other team has put their best players out there and show confidence in their players and their abilities in letting them go out there and do what they have to do. If Canada is going to win the Gold, they will win because they have the best players, not because they have the best coaching staff, and this is something that Babcock needs to understand.

If that is actually the reason than I'm cheering for Finland for sure.

Bergeron will shut down Ovechkin? Who will shut down the other 2 guys on his line then?

Plain and simple Babcock is micro-managing this team thinking he can win the game from behind the bench and not out on the ice.

Azure
02-18-2010, 09:57 PM
well it is a bad idea to base it on chemistry from a teenage tourney 5 years ago. frick bring Langkow and try and repatriate Dominichelli and roll them and Iginla 1996 style if its world junior chemistry you want

Better yet get Conroy some Canadian citizenship and bring back Dean Mcammond. Put them with Iginla and you have your 50 goal man.

Locke
02-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Well Seabrook/Keith together wasn't working out very well. So they had to bench him.

Which brings us back to the Bouwmeester question. Would he be more effective than Seabrook?

Or Doughty?

Quite frankly, Team Canada's management made pre-existing chemistry their #1 priority, chemistry above all else.

Well, they took the safe route, but what happens now if it just isnt there? They took questionable picks in favour of that chemistry.

If that chemistry doesnt materialize, then what?

d_phaneuf
02-18-2010, 10:17 PM
So he won't split up the team specific combos like the Getzlaf/Perry combo despite it not working, but he's more than eager to take Iginla and Richards and basically play them anywhere he pleases, and when they respond he benches them?

Like what the frack man.

thats the point

I think he should start with a blank slate, not keep certain combos together because it limits everything else you can do

if you are going to juggle lines (when none are really clicking), juggle all of them

Racki
02-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Give me Green and Bouwmeester over Seabrook and Keith anyday. I thought that pairing was overrated from day one. They were fanshionable at the time because everyone is in love with the Blackhawks. Also, niedermayer is fifty years old and looks it.

Locke
02-18-2010, 10:25 PM
thats the point

I think he should start with a blank slate, not keep certain combos together because it limits everything else you can do

if you are going to juggle lines (when none are really clicking), juggle all of them

They cant.

They've sacrificed a lot on the altar of chemistry.

They'd sell their souls for Getzlaf to play but it means taking Perry, they gave one of their nuts for Duncan Keith, but Seabrook has to tag along, the San Jose line has been playing well, but then you gotta take Staypuft.

If it doesnt work, then they're far, far worse off than 06, supplemented only by superior talent.

The downside is that they've excluded some of the more skilled and more productive players on the assumption that the familiarity will compensate for it.

Its not an entirely unreasonable plan, but at the same time it carries its own series of risks.

They've rolled a pretty big pair of dice.

Ark2
02-18-2010, 10:30 PM
They cant.

They've sacrificed a lot on the altar of chemistry.

They'd sell their souls for Getzlaf to play but it means taking Perry, they gave one of their nuts for Duncan Keith, but Seabrook has to tag along, the San Jose line has been playing well, but then you gotta take Staypuft.

If it doesnt work, then they're far, far worse off than 06, supplemented only by superior talent.

The downside is that they've excluded some of the more skilled and more productive players on the assumption that the familiarity will compensate for it.

Its not an entirely unreasonable plan, but at the same time it carries its own series of risks.

They've rolled a pretty big pair of dice.

What were the real gambles though? You've got Bergeron, Morrow, Perry, Doughty, Seabrook maybe Staal, but everyone else was pretty much a lock. If Canada doesn't take gold, it will be because their coaching staff thinks that they are the stars of these games, not because of these few gambles.

MelBridgeman
02-18-2010, 10:30 PM
fire babcock

Phaneuf3
02-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Babcock's a clown and has no business being anywhere near this team.

zamler
02-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Obviously Babcock thinks he's coaching an NHL team and needs to ride his best players. Of course every player chosen for Team Canada is supposed to be a "best player". I honestly thought more of the guy before tonight, and I never liked him.

jeremywilhelm
02-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Neidermeyer should not be the Captain. Crosby is by far the most impact player on the team.

Iginla was not injured. Babcock just does not seem to like him. I can't believe there isn't more outrage in the media over this.

I have a tough time believing this team will win gold if Babcock continues to run the team the way he is. I am getting strong impressions of a WJC 2010 situation happening at this olympics.

valo403
02-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Just watched it on DVR (well most of it, NBC decided the first 15 minutes weren't important) and was generally unimpressed with the urgency of the team. When they were up by 2 the killer instinct wasn't there, and there were ample opportunities to finish the game. In the defensive zone there seemed to be a lot of disorganization, which lead to a lot of Swiss pressure. You guys have covered most of my thoughts on the coaching decisions, really wasn't a fan of riding the sharks foursome (Boyle looked especially lost at times I thought).

That said, the result doesn't really change much at all. If Canada beats the US they still win the group. The only consequence could be the seeding amongst the 4 teams that go straight through.

Hopefully this game can be used as a learning experience, remember the 02 team got beat in their first game, a little adversity can be a very good thing.

calgARI
02-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Neidermeyer should not be the Captain. Crosby is by far the most impact player on the team.

No doubt about it. No one has been even close to Crosby through two games and no one is close to Crosby on Team Canada during the 09-10 NHL season either. Niedermayer's effort against Calgary last Saturday was pathetic and there have been many occasions over the years when he has appeared to be pretty unengaged and a little too loose. Not exactly the guy I would look to as a leader.

zamler
02-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Man you guys are making me feel less and less confident about this team.

jeremywilhelm
02-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Right now I have no confidence in Babcock.

zamler
02-18-2010, 11:12 PM
What exactly is Babcock trying to prove? Get your lines set, and roll them out on cue. What's so hard about that? Mix things up when you need to, otherwise let the players decide their own fate.

Is he trying to prove his coaching chops? I think he might have lost his marbles.

henriksedin33
02-18-2010, 11:14 PM
No doubt about it. No one has been even close to Crosby through two games and no one is close to Crosby on Team Canada during the 09-10 NHL season either. Niedermayer's effort against Calgary last Saturday was pathetic and there have been many occasions over the years when he has appeared to be pretty unengaged and a little too loose. Not exactly the guy I would look to as a leader.

Niedermayer has always been a quiet leader and theres no doubt that he is one of the most respected members of the team. I guess less vocal can come off as "unengaged" but the guy is a winner and a leader.

Leeman4Gilmour
If this continues, Iginla should be quite motivated during the upcoming games against Detroit to show Babcock why benching him was a mistake.

But I really hope they were just being cautious because of the hit. I mean, who benches the guy who netted you a hat trick the game before. Whether it's Iginla or anyone it would be a questionable move.

zamler
nm wrong thread.

flylock shox
02-18-2010, 11:15 PM
That was a fun game. Very impressed by the Swiss, although without Hiller's heroics it would have been a 3 goal margin IMO.

The best part of that game was seeing a points system (3 point games) that actually makes sense. NHL: take notice.

OzSome
02-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Give Jonas the Swiss credit. He was awesome tonight and he's the reason the Swiss went into overtime. With Canada almost losing the game I can see the Canuck fans and Vancouver media demanding Luongo starting the game vs USA on Sunday.

I am not particularly happy with the coaching decisions from the start. The Sharks line and Ducks line seems to be playing a lot. Only reason Iginla played more on the first game was because of the power play goal. Otherwise he would be stuck playing less minutes with Toews, Richard or Morrow. Tonight, they didn't even play him on OT. They played Perry more when the guy hasn't really done much over Toews or Iggy.

Pronger and Niedermayer is a joke. Pronger especially cost Canada a goal by trying to take his revenge rather than watching his guy. Doughty made one mistake and got benched. The kid is awesome. Sid the Kid is a force there. I am very impressed with the guy especially his determination. I saw a couple of times that he wants to win the game so bad. The first one was when he got hit and no penalty. He was so ticked off that he almost scored the winning goal on the regular period. Then the second one was his second shootout try.

I hope Babcock put Iggy-Sid-Nash together again vs USA. He can keep the Sharks line but I would change the 3rd line with Getzlaf playing with Toews and Richard. I like Morrow on the energy line with Perry/Bergeron and Staal probably.

valo403
02-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Give Jonas the Swiss credit. He was awesome tonight and he's the reason the Swiss went into overtime. With Canada almost losing the game I can see the Canuck fans and Vancouver media demanding Luongo starting the game vs USA on Sunday.

I am not particularly happy with the coaching decisions from the start. The Sharks line and Ducks line seems to be playing a lot. Only reason Iginla played more on the first game was because of the power play goal. Otherwise he would be stuck playing less minutes with Toews, Richard or Morrow. Tonight, they didn't even play him on OT. They played Perry more when the guy hasn't really done much over Toews or Iggy.

Pronger and Niedermayer is a joke. Pronger especially cost Canada a goal by trying to take his revenge rather than watching his guy. Doughty made one mistake and got benched. The kid is awesome. Sid the Kid is a force there. I am very impressed with the guy especially his determination. I saw a couple of times that he wants to win the game so bad. The first one was when he got hit and no penalty. He was so ticked off that he almost scored the winning goal on the regular period. Then the second one was his second shootout try.

I hope Babcock put Iggy-Sid-Nash together again vs USA. He can keep the Sharks line but I would change the 3rd line with Getzlaf playing with Toews and Richard. I like Morrow on the energy line with Perry/Bergeron and Staal probably.

Stupid penalty for sure, but unless Marleau was Pronger's guy I'm not sure what he was supposed to do on that goal. He had a man all tied up in front.

CGY12
02-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I haven't been impressed with Crosby's play either. Tonight he was a known factor and I would hope he could score in a shootout on his 2nd attempt. The real hero tonight was Brodeur. The sharks trio have been the best players to this point. Remember folks the captain isn't always the best player, all though I do think Niedermayer has been absolute garbage.

jeremywilhelm
02-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Something stinks. And not just Babcocks coaching.

Ark2
02-18-2010, 11:26 PM
I haven't been impressed with Crosby's play either. Tonight he was a known factor and I would hope he could score in a shootout on his 2nd attempt. The real hero tonight was Brodeur. The sharks trio have been the best players to this point. Remember folks the captain isn't always the best player, all though I do think Niedermayer has been absolute garbage.

He's been good, but I think people are going to exaggerate his performance given that he scored the winning shootout goal. I would hope that he could score given that he got a second crack at it. Other than that, he was not really a difference maker. That isn't to say that he was bad or anything like that, but I don't think he should be crowned king just yet.

jeremywilhelm
02-18-2010, 11:30 PM
If you can't see that Crosby is the best player on the ice tonight, you judging of hockey talent is very suspect.

He is probably the only forward that didn't constantly turn over the puck. Getzlaf, thorton, Richards and Bergeron were all turnovers machines tonight.

Kaine
02-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Stupid penalty for sure, but unless Marleau was Pronger's guy I'm not sure what he was supposed to do on that goal. He had a man all tied up in front.

A simple argument could be made that there wouldn't have been a sixth skater on the ice if Pronger hadn't taken a stupid selfish penalty.

KootenayFlamesFan
02-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Niedermayer has always been a quiet leader and theres no doubt that he is one of the most respected members of the team. I guess less vocal can come off as "unengaged" but the guy is a winner and a leader.

Yep.

Being a captain is definitely not all about what happens on the ice. Yes, part of it is to show leadership on the ice and setting an example, but a big part of it is what happens off-ice. None of us have any clue what Niedermayer says in the dressing room or how he motivates his teammates, or how much respect he demands.

It's not all about who is more dynamic on the ice. A captain is much more than that.

Ark2
02-18-2010, 11:34 PM
If you can't see that Crosby is the best player on the ice tonight, you judging of hockey talent is very suspect.

He is probably the only forward that didn't constantly turn over the puck. Getzlaf, thorton, Richards and Bergeron were all turnovers machines tonight.

I think my ability of judging hockey talent is just fine. Was he the best player for Canada tonight? Most likely, but that doesn't mean that he was great or that he willed this team to victory like so many will now proclaim. He was good. That's it. If by your standards, not turning over the puck equals a great performance, then I would have to question your ability to judge "hockey talent".

jeremywilhelm
02-18-2010, 11:39 PM
He did will this team to victory, he was the only player out of 4 superstar players to score on Hiller.

Crosby is a player that has time and time again come up big for his teams, he plays big minutes because he can handle them and has produced. Yet Babcock gives all the ice time to a trio of forwards that are the definition of "anti-clutch".

You want Crosby to win you a game, give him ice time.

CGY12
02-18-2010, 11:42 PM

LMAO thanks tips. Crosby wasn't the best player on the ice tonight. I'm glad he scored on his 2nd crack at the shootout and I would hope he could because he is such a great player but beyond that tonight he was average. He did turn the puck over and he was forcing passes, trying to make the fancy play. Towards the end he got a bit better cause he was simplifying his game. IMO the Sharks trio were the best players wearing a Canadian jersey tonight.

zamler
02-18-2010, 11:44 PM
I don't know what Crosby has to do to get respect from some people. He has not looked that great early, but he is finding his game and always seems to find a way to come through. He scored the game winning goal, but that's not good enough for some people, because he was "supposed" to score after getting a second chance.

Unbelievable.

CGY12
02-18-2010, 11:46 PM
He did will this team to victory, he was the only player out of 4 superstar players to score on Hiller.

Crosby is a player that has time and time again come up big for his teams, he plays big minutes because he can handle them and has produced. Yet Babcock gives all the ice time to a trio of forwards that are the definition of "anti-clutch".

You want Crosby to win you a game, give him ice time.

Crosby is clutch and a great player but give me a break. Yes the Sharks players aren't known for being the most productive players when it counts but that has nothing to do with how they played tonight. Crosby wasn't completely on his game and if it were my call I would have benched him for one shift and then played the hell out of him after. Remember if the two sharks didn't score tonight, Crosby wouldn't have had the opportunity to win the game in the shootout.

Ark2
02-18-2010, 11:46 PM

Unless you are counting Crosby as 2 superstars, he was one of 3 players, and he unlike the other 2 got a second crack at it. Had Toews scored the shootout goal instead of Crosby, would you be saying that he willed his team to victory? Nope. Know why? Because his name is not Sidney Crosby. Again, I'm not knocking the guy. He's a great player but he didn't do anything special tonight... nor did the rest of the team.

zamler
02-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Crosby wasn't completely on his game and if it were my call I would have benched him for one shift and then played the hell out of him after.
Seriously? :blink:

CGY12
02-18-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't know what Crosby has to do to get respect from some people. He has not looked that great early, but he is finding his game and always seems to find a way to come through. He scored the game winning goal, but that's not good enough for some people, because he was "supposed" to score after getting a second chance.

Unbelievable.

Relax, I'm not disrespecting Crosby. He is a great player and he will do great things for this team but tonight he wasn't completely on his game. The guy is human, its not like he is going to be GREAT every night. IMO I thought their were guys who had better games tonight.

zamler
02-18-2010, 11:51 PM
IMO I thought their were guys who had better games tonight.
I'm curious, like who? I agree that no one on Team Canada had a great game.

CGY12
02-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Seriously? :blink:

Yup, just cause you a star player it doesn't mean your any different from anyone else. Early he was being to fancy and trying to force plays that weren't there, which resulted in him passing up on great chances. I didn't say sit him for the entire game. I just would have sat him for ONE shift (OMG such a big deal), then played the hell out of him.

Locke
02-18-2010, 11:53 PM
I dont understand the Doughty love, he was terrible. He was directly responsible for half of Canada's goals against.

CGY12
02-18-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm curious, like who? I agree that no one on Team Canada had a great game.

Heatley, Marleau and Thornton. I thought everybody else was average and has another level to their game.

Smell My Finger
02-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Babcock's favoring of the SJ line is sickening to watch when you have Nash Crosby Iginla.
It didn't appear that Iginla was hurt but perhaps he was.
I just think Babcock is fracking up a extremly talented team.
If you have Crosby on a team you play him on the top line everytime. SJ line was out there for every PP before the Crosby line, thats just ######ed on Babcock's part. After 2 T.V time outs Babcock even went back to back shifts with the SJ line?
Bergeron has no chemistry with Crosby and Nash but yet Babcock keeps forcing that issue. Bergeron shouldn't even be on this team.
Doughty was one of the best D men in the first game and tonight he messes up once and Babcock uses him as a scapegoat. Screw him.

CGY12
02-19-2010, 12:02 AM
I do agree however that Nash Crosby Iginla didn't see nearly enough time on the PP and were given a rather small leash. It didn't allow them to get into a flow and ultimately weren't producing. I think the defense played role in that too, they were terrible on the points keeping the puck in and at tape to tape passes.

calgarybornnraised
02-19-2010, 12:05 AM
So the scouting report for team canada is pressure the puck ?

Smell My Finger
02-19-2010, 12:08 AM
esp Pronger he killed so many Canada attempts to get in the offensive zone from making terrible passes to skating into the paths of the wingers. Pronger sucked tonight.
I can think of a few times Pronger coughed up the puck near Canada's net and Brodeur had to stand on his head coming up with quick reaction saves.

CGY12
02-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Crosby won a few faceoffs clean where it would go right back to Pronger and I don't know what happened but he couldn't keep them in. That was frustrating because then Babcock being the idiot he is would make them change.

Smell My Finger
02-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Honestly i hope the media doesn't focus on that Canada won a S/O in heroic fashion but i would rather they verbally attack Babcock for OVER playing the SJ line just because he is comfortable with their NHL chemestry rather than the Crosby line he has on such a short leash.
It would never come to a shoot out if the Crosby line started every PP.

shadetree
02-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Was it just me, or did Canada look a little soft out there tonight. There were long stretches where the were getting outhit by the Swiss. That should never happen. The Swiss weren't the least bit afraid of the big bad Canadians. And rightfully so - they were pitching a no-hitter for large stretches. Getzlaf and Perry seemed particularly uninterested. I know Thornton takes a lot of heat, but I thought Getzlaf was pretty invisible. And why is Perry on the team if he isn't going to stir things up?

As for the D, as others have mentioned, why have Seabrook on the team if he isn't playing with Keith? I understood his selection to the team over more talented players based on chemistry issues, but then they go and break up that pairing...

I remember watching the team Canada selection show - when it came to the D, they had their top 3 LD as Niedermayer, Pronger, and Keith. They said that if you believe in those 3, you don't need Bouwmeester. I was worried about Pronger and Niedermayer before, and that hasn't changed. Hopefully the Canadian D doesn't wilt when they face the US forecheck.

3 Justin 3
02-19-2010, 03:10 AM
I dont understand the Doughty love, he was terrible. He was directly responsible for half of Canada's goals against.

To be fair, he was huggybeared on the Swiss blue-line my 2 guys, but it was a stupid pinch.

I don't get why Babcock is benching players, especially Iginla. Checking your ego is one thing, fine put him on the 4th line, but don't disrespect one of Canada's best players by benching him. Pathetic decision. Has it been confirmed he was benched along with Seabrook? Unless it has been confirmed he was benched, maybe he just sat for precautionary measures from the hit (it was a bit hard to the head).

The ONLY thing I liked was putting Bergeron out there to win face-offs and then having him bolt to the bench.

Nash-Crosby-Iginla should stay a bloody line, stop breaking good things up you monkey. And keep Seabrook with Keith FFS.

Edit: And Bouwmeester should be there, it is a joke he still isn't there.

rockstar
02-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Full marks to the Swiss. They were geared up, and it showed. They were relentless - they never gave up.

North East Goon
02-19-2010, 08:01 AM
I have no problems with benching players, sometimes its used as a motivational tool. Maybe he is trying to light a fire under Iginla for what might be there most physical challenge in the U.S. The Seabrooke benching is going to happen a lot, he is just out of his element in this tourney - not mobile enough. The player that is annoying me is Nash, he is trying to play too pretty, when he should be a smash mouth type player. I would try a Nash-Richards-Iginla line against the U.S.

Jimdon
02-19-2010, 08:42 AM
When you have Crosby and Iginla leading the team in points and goals coming in to the game, and neither of them touches the ice for the first three and a half minutes of the second when you have two power plays and sustained pressure you have to question the decision making behind the bench.

I fully understand going back the the San Jose line for the power play on the second attempt after they had success the first time, but following up with Perry and Getzlaf over and over when Crosby/Iginla/Nash haven't even seen the ice yet is borderline stupidity IMO.

Crosby is the best player on this team, and to have success your best players need to be relied upon as your best players, not an afterthought.

yads
02-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Come on guys, you're all acting like Canada just lost to the Italians or something. The Swiss are ranked #7 ahead of Slovakia at #10 who just knocked off the #1 Russians. There is a lot of parity in international hockey these days. Teams with solid goaltending can do a lot of damage in such a short tournament. We still won and are ranked #2 overall with a chance for first place. Go Canada Go!

I_H8_Crawford
02-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Just another side - perhaps Babcock isn't stupid, saw the chemistry that Crosby-Iginla-Nash had and decided that in a virtually meaningless game played them less so he could get the chemistry going for the SJ line, and get the other players more into it as well??

Then try different people in different places to see what he has??

I really doubt Babcock is an idiot like some people are apparently claiming... I would bet those same people would have been creaming their pants if it had somehow been announced that Babcock would be the next HC of the Flames during this past offseason...

valo403
02-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Heatley, Marleau and Thornton. I thought everybody else was average and has another level to their game.

And your credibility is officially gone.

Resolute 14
02-19-2010, 09:25 AM
I really doubt Babcock is an idiot like some people are apparently claiming... I would bet those same people would have been creaming their pants if it had somehow been announced that Babcock would be the next HC of the Flames during this past offseason...

Based on his performance this season, Babcock seems to be the Cito Gaston of hockey coaching: He looked good in the past because he's usually had a team of superstars.

This season has led me to wonder if he can coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

VladtheImpaler
02-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Based on his performance this season, Babcock seems to be the Cito Gaston of hockey coaching: He looked good in the past because he's usually had a team of superstars.

This season has led me to wonder if he can coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

What about the ANA team he took to the finals?

Art Vandelay
02-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Come on guys, you're all acting like Canada just lost to the Italians or something. The Swiss are ranked #7 ahead of Slovakia at #10 who just knocked off the #1 Russians. There is a lot of parity in international hockey these days. Teams with solid goaltending can do a lot of damage in such a short tournament. We still won and are ranked #2 overall with a chance for first place. Go Canada Go!

Exactly my thoughts. The Swiss were playing like our 04 Flames. Stifling defence, very agressive on the puck backed with an outstanding goaltender. They capitalized on their few chances. You have to give credit to them. I'm not willing to lynch Babcock just yet. Id like to see how we respond to the US.

Locke
02-19-2010, 09:31 AM
If Babcock had been part of the selection process Dan Cleary would have been on the team.

Overall, I thought they played poorly, and some of the coaching selection were questionable, but I guess we'll see what happens when they play a better caliber of team.

Also, GO FINLAND!:D

Resolute 14
02-19-2010, 09:33 AM
What about the ANA team he took to the finals?

You mean the Anaheim team that Giguere's oversized pads took to the finals?

I_H8_Crawford
02-19-2010, 09:37 AM

Yet little Hitler (Lewis) wasn't even able to get his all-star team past the 2nd round, and with a better goaltender than Babcock had.

Babcock also took a very ordinary looking Ducks team to game 7 of the SCF... I can think of another coach who did that who is viewed as pretty much God around here...

Fact is Babcock is one of the best coaches in the game, period. And I highly doubt that he has lost his marbles for this one game/tournament.

What I find funny is I wonder how many of the posters saying Babcock is garbage also said that Sutter knows more hockey than anyone on a message board, so the Phaneuf trade wasn't so bad.

And here I am saying "give Babcock time" when I wanted Sutter out on his ass for the Phaneuf trade, LOL.

Fact is, Sutter gets his time to show it wasn't a completely moronic trade, and Babcock should get his time to show he isn't a completely moronic coach.

I_H8_Crawford
02-19-2010, 09:39 AM
If Babcock had been part of the selection process Dan Cleary would have been on the team.

Overall, I thought they played poorly, and some of the coaching selection were questionable, but I guess we'll see what happens when they play a better caliber of team.

Also, GO FINLAND!:DI'd have more faith in Babcock helping choose a team than K-Lown.

VladtheImpaler
02-19-2010, 09:41 AM
You mean the Anaheim team that Giguere's oversized pads took to the finals?

Just like Darryl's final run was all due to Kipper?

united
02-19-2010, 10:35 AM
That powerplay looks terrible. Fire Preston.

mykalberta
02-19-2010, 10:42 AM

They would be great attacking and terrible in their own zone. All are softie floaters with great hands.

Iowa_Flames_Fan
02-19-2010, 10:58 AM
I was frustrated by the coaching decisions--though I completely supported benching Doughty, who looks completely out of his element. I just don't understand why you can't bench Pronger, who looks equally bad.

But I wonder if part of what we're seeing is a coach who isn't yet accustomed to the longer bench. As an NHL coach, he's accustomed to working with four forward lines and three defense pairings. Bench management is simple in that format--just roll four lines, double shift the top one from time to time, and try to get favourable matchups throughout the game.

But in this format, given that every player dresses for every game, the bench has more bodies that have to be rotated into the lineup than Babcock is used to, and it's possible that what we're seeing is just him trying to get every player involved rather than having somebody ride the pine for the whole game. If you think of it that way, a player missing a shift doesn't necessarily reflect them being "benched" as much as it reflects someone else being given a shot on their line for one or two shifts.

Just a thought.

CGY12
02-19-2010, 11:02 AM
And your credibility is officially gone.

Ya shame on Heatley and Marleau for being the only ones to score and the one line that consistently put pressure on the other team. Your credibility means so much, some people on here are so clueless.

Resolute 14
02-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I was frustrated by the coaching decisions--though I completely supported benching Doughty, who looks completely out of his element. I just don't understand why you can't bench Pronger, who looks equally bad.

Because Seabrook has been the worst of the bunch, and with Niedermayer performing as poorly as expected, Babcock can't bench all of them.

Henry Fool
02-19-2010, 11:32 AM
The comments about Babcock overcoaching are interesting, but to me it wasn't really him treating the game as an NHL regular season game but the players playing like it was. It's the Olympics, athletes are going to go all out just like in any other event, and Canada didn't.

Switzerland was focused and prepared and had a higher energy level. The were active and involved, which is the right way to play against Canada. With a passive approach, the game would have been over for them after 30 minutes. That they almost beat a team like Canada just by outworking them tells us a lot about how great a game hockey is.

Wouldn't worry about it yet if I was a Team Canada supporter. A little adversity is usually good in these tournaments, and better to have to face the issues in the preliminary round than when the real games start.

silentsim
02-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Yet little Hitler (Lewis) wasn't even able to get his all-star team past the 2nd round, and with a better goaltender than Babcock had.

Babcock also took a very ordinary looking Ducks team to game 7 of the SCF... I can think of another coach who did that who is viewed as pretty much God around here...

Fact is Babcock is one of the best coaches in the game, period. And I highly doubt that he has lost his marbles for this one game/tournament.

What I find funny is I wonder how many of the posters saying Babcock is garbage also said that Sutter knows more hockey than anyone on a message board, so the Phaneuf trade wasn't so bad.

And here I am saying "give Babcock time" when I wanted Sutter out on his ass for the Phaneuf trade, LOL.

Fact is, Sutter gets his time to show it wasn't a completely moronic trade, and Babcock should get his time to show he isn't a completely moronic coach.

I agree with you for once :eek:...on the bolded point

valo403
02-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Ya shame on Heatley and Marleau for being the only ones to score and the one line that consistently put pressure on the other team. Your credibility means so much, some people on here are so clueless.

I know

Locke
02-19-2010, 12:21 PM
I've said before and I stand by it, the defence selections were a huge mistake.

Niedermayer is playing like a guy who retired once already, and hes the Captain? His play was poor.

Doughty looked completely lost.

Seabrook was the worst of the bunch.

Pronger had an off night.

Look what happened. What happens when they play a really good team?

I_H8_Crawford
02-19-2010, 12:43 PM
I've said before and I stand by it, the defence selections were a huge mistake.

Niedermayer is playing like a guy who retired once already, and hes the Captain? His play was poor.

Doughty looked completely lost.

Seabrook was the worst of the bunch.

Pronger had an off night.

Look what happened. What happens when they play a really good team?
Well it's a good thing they left off the unproductive Bouwmeester in place of Seabrook.

Locke
02-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Well it's a good thing they left off the unproductive Bouwmeester in place of Seabrook.

Make no mistake, this team's defence is: Pronger, Keith and Boyle.

I dont know how much they were expecting out of Niedermayer, but those 3 guys are your top 4, it would be rounded out by a revolving door of Weber and Seabrook.

Now, last night Seabrook was flat out bad and Weber was invisible but steady, but one of the top 3 (Pronger) had a bad night as did Nieds and Doughty. There is little hope of success should that happen against a contending team such as Finland, Sweden or even the US, if they had played that game against the Russians I have full confidence they'd have been torn to shreds.

Igottago
02-19-2010, 12:55 PM
One thing that really irritated me last night was TSN's commentary on the game. They acted like it was one of the most monumental wins in Canadian hockey history, and Crosby's shootout goal should be put on a stamp or something. I remember the line about the young Crosby and the veteran Brodeur taking Canada to victory. Everything was so ridiculously over the top, especially considering we barely squeezed out a win against a vastly inferior opponent, Crosby needed 2 tries to score. I'm not anti Crosby or anything but the way they tried to project the win at the end of the broadcast was laughable. One of the most homer broadcasts I've seen. It was kind of embarrassing.

valo403
02-19-2010, 01:18 PM
One thing that really irritated me last night was TSN's commentary on the game. They acted like it was one of the most monumental wins in Canadian hockey history, and Crosby's shootout goal should be put on a stamp or something. I remember the line about the young Crosby and the veteran Brodeur taking Canada to victory. Everything was so ridiculously over the top, especially considering we barely squeezed out a win against a vastly inferior opponent, Crosby needed 2 tries to score. I'm not anti Crosby or anything but the way they tried to project the win at the end of the broadcast was laughable. One of the most homer broadcasts I've seen. It was kind of embarrassing.

Oddly enough the NBC broadcast was pretty similar in that regard.

united
02-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Mike Tyson:
"If you have a problem, turn off your station"

No broadcaster will ever do even an average job in the eyes of CP posters.

CGY12
02-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Oddly enough the NBC broadcast was pretty similar in that regard.

Well one doesn't have a clue about hockey and the other is a giant homer based production. It took Brodeur 3 stops to even give Crosby a chance to make up for his first miss against a Swiss team that isn't even in the same ball park as the Canadians and all we hear after is how monumental Crosby's performance was LMAO.

zamler
02-19-2010, 02:16 PM
It took Brodeur 3 stops to even give Crosby a chance to make up for his first miss against a Swiss team that isn't even in the same ball park as the Canadians and all we hear after is how monumental Crosby's performance was LMAO.
He was the only one to score in the shootout, I guess that's simply not good enough for you. And did you even watch the game? Canada was stymied time and again, take a look at the shot totals.

CGY12
02-19-2010, 02:22 PM
He was the only one to score in the shootout, I guess that's simply not good enough for you. And did you even watch the game? Canada was stymied time and again, take a look at the shot totals.

Sorry I'm going to hail Crosby as the saviour like the media in a game that he didn't play great in. He scored on his 2nd attempt and thats great but if it weren't for Brodeur he wouldn't have had that chance. Luckily for him the IIHF allows repeat shooters after the original 3. Canada was "stymied" against a weak Swiss opponent, do you not see a problem in that? I can think of a handful of teams in this tournament that are 1000 times better than the Swiss. I know how the media really likes to hype up certain players and certain situations but lets call a spade a spade, last night was not a very good performance.

zamler
02-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Sorry I'm going to hail Crosby as the saviour like the media in a game that he didn't play great in.
I don't give a rats a$$ what the media says about Crosby. Your problem is you refuse to acknowledge that Crosby is, at worst, the 2nd best player in the world. And that player won Canada the game. But again, that's not good enough for you, you need to make excuses. So it took Crosby 2 chances to score in the shootout, you're saying he should have scored on his first attempt right? So who else scored on their first attempt. That's right, no one. I don't see you jumping all over the other shooters for failing to score.

Agree with you and others that Babcock's coaching was terrible, and Canada did not play a great game. But this continued minimizing of Crosby is ridiculous.

Meers
02-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Actually . . . they are.

Having lost a shootout of their own against Slovakia - courtesy of that perennial Hart trophy runner up, Pavol Demitra - the Russian team clearly has issues of their own to iron out, especially in terms of team defence and their power play.

So, step away from the ledge, set the safety back on the gun and put down the bottle of Draino.

Yes, Team Canada looked a tad disorganized yesterday and only had one line (the Sharks line) really clicking. But, that's what happens the fourth time your team has ever taken to the ice together.

We can all take some comfort from the fact that other strong teams in this tournament are experiencing similar teething pains. Do you think the Tre Kronor gained much confidence from their game against Germany? Do you actually believe Team USA looked like world beaters against Norway?

The round robin portion of this tournament is just practice, folks. It takes time for a team to gel and work out the bugs. Remember the early 5-2 rout of our boys by Sweden in Salt Lake? That loss exposed far more problems with that incarnation of Team Canada than last night's game.

Hopefully the team will take some lessons from yesterday's scare and the various benchings that Babcock handed out - the most important of which is that from here on these games can't be played casually and no shifts can be taken off.

Team Canada is made up of hyper-talented professionals. I am fully confident that the message will be received and that the Canadian team will look more cohesive against the US. That game is the real start of this tournament.

CGY12
02-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Well then you completely missed the point of my original post. It wasn't me slamming Crosby, it was more so against the mentality of the Canadian media. I'm not trying minimize Crosby at all, he is a great player and definitely Canada's best and I don't think you know me personally so I'm pretty sure you don't know who my top 2 or even 5 players are in the world.

Azure
02-19-2010, 03:01 PM
The defense on this team is Weber.

He's the only one who doesn't look completely lost.

Even Keith was having issues last night.

Which brings up the question again, why the heck is Seabrook on this team? Come on, someone please tell me.

Ren
02-19-2010, 03:03 PM
The defense on this team is Weber.

He's the only one who doesn't look completely lost.

Even Keith was having issues last night.

Which brings up the question again, why the heck is Seabrook on this team? Come on, someone please tell me.

This one puzzles me as well. If you're not going to play Keith and Seabrook together then WTF is the point of having Seabrook on the team at all? Might as well have gone with Bouwmeester.

Patrick
02-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Team Canada's issue was they brought in groups of players (for chemsitry) instead of the best player for that position.

IE:

Seabrook and Keith.

Perry and Getzlaf

SJ top line

You cant break up the lines as than it probably makes the team even worse off. Fact is, the 4th line should have been high impact energy/htting players who can play 7 minutes a night and make an impact versus scoring players getting the same ice time.

Ark2
02-19-2010, 03:18 PM

Again, they were given the most ice time and the most PP time. Saying that the Sharks line was better than Crosby's line isn't really fair when they aren't getting the same ice time and the combos keep getting juggled.

You don't need to be a brilliant coach for a team like Canada to win against the Swiss. Put you're lines together, keep them together, and just roll them, because regardless of which line is on the ice, Canada's talent is unmatched in last night's game. Trying to turn this into a match of coaching wits is just stupid. I mean, putting Bergeron on the top line just to win faceoffs? WTF? Does Babcock not know that Crosby is one of the best faceoff winners this season? He is trying too hard to come up with a home run move when all he has to do is let the players play.

I have no doubt that he is a very good coach in the NHL, but this is not the NHL and it is becoming obvious.

mykalberta
02-19-2010, 04:29 PM

Its one thing to have shots, its another to have quality chances.

I am getting sick and tired of every time we play someone we make their goalie look like he is the second coming.

Its not that these goalies are world beaters, its that we are unable to capitalize on chances.

Also Crosby didnt "win" us the game. The fact that we played the Swiss won us the game.

Tyler
02-19-2010, 04:33 PM
People seem to forget that we lost our first game, and narrowly beat Germany, back in '02.

This is a fast tournament and it'll take these guys 2 or 3 games to start gelling. Just be happy that we've won both of them and have some momentum to build off of.

Treach
02-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Sorry I'm going to hail Crosby as the saviour like the media in a game that he didn't play great in.
Whaaat... you have got to be kidding me. Crosby played great. He created a ton of chances. The guy took a chop to the face and while bleeding from the nose and mouth got up, and single handedly created a great scoring chance. He scored the game winning shoot out goal on a possessed goalie. Wtf does the guy have to do to get any respect?

HPLovecraft
02-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Whaaat... you have got to be kidding me. Crosby played great. He created a ton of chances. The guy took a chop to the face and while bleeding from the nose and mouth got up, and single handedly created a great scoring chance. He scored the game winning shoot out goal on a possessed goalie. Wtf does the guy have to do to get any respect?

Win the Stanley Cup!

Oh, wait...

CGY12
02-19-2010, 05:50 PM

The guy has my respect! Geez its like talking to wall with some of you. Personally I thought he could have played a lot better and I know he has another gear. So forgive me for holding our best player and one of the best in the world to a higher standard!

Kaine
02-19-2010, 07:03 PM
For what it's worth the Olympic hockey panel unanimously agrees that Iggy should be with Sid on the top line with a different winger.

All of them were scratching there heads when the question of why Iggy was moved came up when it was apparent he was not hurt.

Guess us "fanatical" Flames fans aren't the only ones.

TSXCman
02-19-2010, 08:15 PM
For what it's worth the Olympic hockey panel unanimously agrees that Iggy should be with Sid on the top line with a different winger.

All of them were scratching there heads when the question of why Iggy was moved came up when it was apparent he was not hurt.

Guess us "fanatical" Flames fans aren't the only ones.

I've seen lots of highlights and panelists on the olympics so far, when have they mentioned Iggy once since the start of the Swiss game? I have noticed them going out of their way to skirt the issue so far.

sa226
02-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Has anybody been listening to the Fan? Have they weighed in on it at all?

Kaine
02-19-2010, 09:27 PM
I've seen lots of highlights and panelists on the olympics so far, when have they mentioned Iggy once since the start of the Swiss game? I have noticed them going out of their way to skirt the issue so far.

Was on a couple of hours ago (moments before I posted it). Bob and the rest of the usual group (don't know there names by heart) had a 5 minute talk about the team, one of the hot topics as I mentioned was them scratching there heads at the coaching staffs decisions, mainly Iggy off the top line while Nash remained on.

Was nice to see some media pay attention to it as well.

3 Justin 3
02-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Well f*** me, Kypreos just said Babcock mismanaged his lines, and then later went onto say Iginla should be playing with Crosby and Nash. Count me as surprised.

robocop
02-20-2010, 01:13 AM
The only way it could be explained is that they're still trying stuff out and hoping they spark.

When it's time to play against the Americans, they better use what has been working instead ><

Someone explain to me how a hat trick on one line wasn't a spark, or chemistry or whatever. For the love of god, someone please explain it to me. After you win 8-0, why would they change the lineup, someone, please, before I shoot something.

kyuusei
02-20-2010, 01:17 AM
I saw it on Sportsnet Pacific less than an hour ago. They all seemed to agree that Iggy was 'fine' on Sid's right and that he should get a chance there again.

robocop
02-20-2010, 01:23 AM
I saw it on Sportsnet Pacific less than an hour ago. They all seemed to agree that Iggy was 'fine' on Sid's right and that he should get a chance there again.

Fine? Why aren't they saying holy crap, he got a hat trick in the Olympics followed by him getting handcuffed to Crosby? This is frustrating the hell out of me.

jeremywilhelm
02-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Iginla sucks. Trade him for some picks before he drags Canada down!!

kyuusei
02-20-2010, 02:37 AM
Fine? Why aren't they saying holy crap, he got a hat trick in the Olympics followed by him getting handcuffed to Crosby? This is frustrating the hell out of me.

I might have unintentionally downplayed how they really felt. I had the TV sound down a bit. ;)

But they did seem really confused about Iggy being off that line. They'd established that he WASN'T hurt in that second-period collision, showed all the Crosby-line combinations used thus far (there's only like four) and thought Iggy was the best fit.

Let's just hope Babs tries it again.