PDA

View Full Version : Scalpers at the Olympics

Frequitude
02-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Since my general admission ski cross tickets at Cypress have been cancelled, I now have time and money for other events in Vancouver but no tickets.

Have people seen a lot of scalpers at the events?
If so, any idea what the market is like...face value, below, well above, etc?
Any other tips on picking up tickets while down there?

d_phaneuf
02-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Since my general admission ski cross tickets at Cypress have been cancelled, I now have time and money for other events in Vancouver but no tickets.

Have people seen a lot of scalpers at the events?
If so, any idea what the market is like...face value, below, well above, etc?
Any other tips on picking up tickets while down there?

you're best bet is probly the online market place

JBR
02-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Go to the event ticket booth. We didn't have tickets to the ladies 3000m speed skating but got some at will call 5 minutes before the start. There was a story on Vancouver TV that said they release tickets 5 minutes before each event when the delegates or team officials decide not to show up. Most tickets are category A and, of course, face value..

Scalpers are a rip-off.

As an alternative, visit CoSports on Hamilton Street. They are a broker partnered with Vanoc. We didn't pay through the nose with them.

puffnstuff
02-17-2010, 10:26 PM
maybe look for Broncoman...

FurnaceFace
02-17-2010, 10:27 PM
There are hundreds of scalpers out on the streets. From the Canada line station to the security line at The Garage you pass easily 50 guys. They seems fairly well connected as I've overheard ticket requestor ask for something and the scalper gets on the phone and calls "scalper head office" (would it be the scalpers pimp?) to find out if they have tickets.

I wouldn't buy from them but they're out there in droves. Heard one saying he'd pay $1000 for a single Canada US hockey game ticket.

dubc80
02-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Go to the event ticket booth. We didn't have tickets to the ladies 3000m speed skating but got some at will call 5 minutes before the start. There was a story on Vancouver TV that said they release tickets 5 minutes before each event when the delegates or team officials decide not to show up. Most tickets are category A and, of course, face value..

Scalpers are a rip-off.

As an alternative, visit CoSports on Hamilton Street. They are a broker partnered with Vanoc. We didn't pay through the nose with them.

This. ive met a few folks who purchased tickets for face value at the ticket booth. Just get there early and line up. Also, its Visa and cash only inside the venues. No debit, or any other credit cards.

Frequitude
02-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Will call before the event is awesome advice. Thank you.

Any experience with the Whistler events? I'm there Saturday and might want to catch the Bobsled or Super G.

JBR
02-18-2010, 01:34 PM
maybe look for Broncoman...

Believe it or not.. he was there.