PDA

View Full Version : CTV announcers = EPIC FAIL

Sample00
02-16-2010, 11:00 AM
sorry folks but my turn to vent.

can these people be any more belligerent to/about these athletes.

"So, Jennifer, how do you feel about not winning the gold?" For Christ sakes, she won silver! give her a compliment, be proud of here......grrrrr...it just frosts my flakes.

Being down on mike robertson for winning silver when he had a lead towards the end. The man just won a silver medal. CONGRATULATE HIM and be proud!!!!!

and my personal favourite....David Pelletier, "thats what you get when you have your competitors design your costumes for you"
arrogant ass!

I dunno, just seems to me that they are accentuating the negative rather than the positve.

Bertuzzied
02-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Brian Williams was telling everyone to turn to CBC for the Pairs free skate.

I wish to god somehow sportsnet within the next 12 days loses coverage of the olympics. I've had enough of these two bit broadcaster wannabes. Everyone of them suck!

mac_gurl
02-16-2010, 11:09 AM
I agree. They have been so negative throughout these past 4 days. We should be happy to get a 5th finish in alpine skiing, yet its a disappointing day?? I'm proud of how well we've done so far.

edn88
02-16-2010, 11:18 AM
I turn the channel or tune it out when they interview athletes after a win/loss. Rarely hear anything insiteful, and they are usually poor interviews by pressers trying to get a scoop.

I actually think that CTV is doing a fantastic job bringing coverage of the games, and the quality of the folks working on this is top notch. Even Rod Black.

Bill Bumface
02-16-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm loving the snowboarding coverage. Nothing like middle aged white women giving out "props".

Igottago
02-16-2010, 11:27 AM
I haven't noticed a lot of negativity, but I've always liked CBC's broadcasts better.

One thing that has really stuck out about these Olympics is the camera work...HD is here and its been outstanding. Some of the angles and perspectives they are capturing are fantastic. Makes everything more interesting to watch.

dissentowner
02-16-2010, 11:33 AM
CTV employs Nick Kypreos as a hockey analyst, that should tell you everything.

HotHotHeat
02-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Don Taylor, Saturday morning - "It really makes sense that Gretzky lit both torches, cause he spent all those years lighting up the Flames"

Really Don? You went there? During the Olympics?

Don Taylor leads the way in the bitterness of Canucks fans, and he's 90% of the reason Sportsnet is always referred to as bush league. The other 10% is their hockey broadcasts.

Bertuzzied
02-16-2010, 11:37 AM
CTV employs Nick Kypreos as a hockey analyst, that should tell you everything.

Well its sportsnet that employs Kypreos, not CTV.

CTV owns TSN who employ Dreger. Which is just as bad.

Joborule
02-16-2010, 11:38 AM
I have noticed that if it's not Gold it's disappointing. I think if they got a medal or were close that it was a job well done and should be more of a positive note in the interviews.

Bertuzzied
02-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Don Taylor, Saturday morning - "It really makes sense that Gretzky lit both torches, cause he spent all those years lighting up the Flames"

Don Taylor leads the way in the bitterness of Canucks fans, and he's 90% of the reason Sportsnet is always referred to as bush league. The other 10% is their hockey broadcasts.

Yeah because Gretzky was always shut out against Canucks. hehe

Hey Taylor, how about "the Flames continue to burn Vancouver."

dissentowner
02-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Well its sportsnet that employs Kypreos, not CTV.

CTV owns TSN who employ Dreger. Which is just as bad.

Ok, CTV originally hired Kypreos as a hockey analyst before they sold Sportsnet. Either way he is a ######.

Yamer
02-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Easily the most biased AND most underwhelming sportscaster. Being stuck with him in the EA series for a few years was torture.

And I think David Pelletier is hilarious. Jamie evens out his criticisms quite well.

VANFLAMESFAN
02-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Ah, another I hate this broadcaster, I hate that broadcaster thread. But none of you are in broadcasting and knows what it takes to be good.

At the end of the day, it's not an exact science. You either like a guy or you don't.

Bertuzzied
02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Ah, another I hate this broadcaster, I hate that broadcaster thread. But none of you are in broadcasting and knows what it takes to be good.

At the end of the day, it's not an exact science. You either like a guy or you don't.

I dislike anything sportsnet related. It's like the shaw channel with Flames games.

I-Hate-Hulse
02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
and my personal favourite....David Pelletier, "thats what you get when you have your competitors design your costumes for you"
arrogant ass!

Aaargh - that really irked me when I heard them say that (didn't know it was Pelletier) at the time. Actually, it was the ~30 seconds he spent on making snide remarks about their costumes that really irked me.

What is this, High School? Yeah, the blue was a little blingy, but crack on the actual skating, not the costumes.

I'd love to see someone shove a mike into a CTV announcer's face and ask: "So, you guys were aiming to be perfect host broadcasters - are you happy with all the failures?"

Byrns
02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
I like how they continued the US tradition from the 2008 games and decided to rank the medals by total rather than gold. Weak.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/medals/index.html

HotHotHeat
02-16-2010, 11:51 AM
NBC does a great job covering the Olympics, just not live. I watch them when I can.

loob job
02-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Quit bitching. Try enjoying the games and the sporting events. Turn it off when people are talking if you don't like it.

GirlySports
02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
so are Sale and Pelletier doing commentary for all the figure skating or just the pairs?

Matty81
02-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Quit bitching. Try enjoying the games and the sporting events. Turn it off when people are talking if you don't like it.

Ya how dare they express an opinion. :bag:

I don't mind the commentary but they have every right to express whatever point of view they want!

Diet Water
02-16-2010, 12:23 PM
The biggest difference I have noticed between NBC and CTV is the enthusiasm of the announcers. I don't know if NBC got their guys from the X-Games or what, but I found it much more enjoyable listening to their broadcasts of the Moguls for example.

Aside from that CTV has been fine, I just turn the channel whenever Don Taylor is on so I don't have to be exposed to his idiocy.

Red Ice Player
02-16-2010, 12:23 PM
"Epic Fail" = Epic Cliche

Ok, there is my vent.

Sample00
02-16-2010, 12:42 PM
I am enjoying the games, even moreso that they are in our home country.

I just wish the "some" of the announcers would put a more positive spin on things when one of our athletes reaches the podium as apposed to put a negative spin on it when the dont achieve gold. Hell, how about giving an athlete kudos just for making it on the Olympic team rather than commenting on the fact they only finished in X or XX position.

Blaster86
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Aaargh - that really irked me when I heard them say that (didn't know it was Pelletier) at the time. Actually, it was the ~30 seconds he spent on making snide remarks about their costumes that really irked me.

What is this, High School? Yeah, the blue was a little blingy, but crack on the actual skating, not the costumes.

I laughed my balls off when he said that. He's not an announcer, he's a figure skater. He just spoke his mind, and he was right. The outfit was horrible.

Bertuzzied
02-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I laughed my balls off when he said that. He's not an announcer, he's a figure skater. He just spoke his mind, and he was right. The outfit was horrible.

His English is horrible. Can we laugh at that?

Blaster86
02-16-2010, 01:05 PM
His English is horrible. Can we laugh at that?

Ofcourse.

Jonrox
02-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Did anyone else catch the phrase "totally rad" that was said during the snowboardcross yesterday? I fully expected Cru Jones and Bart Taylor to show up riding BMX bikes after that comment.

loob job
02-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Did anyone else catch the phrase "totally rad" that was said during the snowboardcross yesterday? I fully expected Cru Jones and Bart Taylor to show up riding BMX bikes after that comment.

I heard it and it was said in jest.

Flashpoint
02-16-2010, 02:16 PM
I like how they continued the US tradition from the 2008 games and decided to rank the medals by total rather than gold. Weak.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/medals/index.html

They should do it medals per population.

We'd totally be first! And China would be totally fracked.

SeeBass
02-16-2010, 04:36 PM
NBC does a great job covering the Olympics, just not live. I watch them when I can.

Well that explains the "failure" post and others.

I know many americans that make an attempt to always watch the Olympics on a Canadian feed rather than their own networks.

I don't know where you are coming from on this thought process.

SeeBass
02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
They should do it medals per population.

We'd totally be first! And China would be totally fracked.

I think you need an atlas.

There are smaller countries than ours that win a ton more medals.

Flashpoint
02-16-2010, 04:42 PM
I think you need an atlas.

There are smaller countries than ours that win a ton more medals.

Well, there are only 3 that have more medals than us. Which one of the US, Germany, or France has less population there geo-genius?

V
02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Slovakia has a far superior medal to population ratio right now. That's just at first glance. I'm sure there are many others.

Flashpoint
02-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Slovakia has a far superior medal to population ratio right now. That's just at first glance. I'm sure there are many others.

Just so long as you chucklebuts don't start in on the god damn SWISS...

i2XTuc6i1Uo

HotHotHeat
02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Well that explains the "failure" post and others.

I know many americans that make an attempt to always watch the Olympics on a Canadian feed rather than their own networks.

I don't know where you are coming from on this thought process.

Better picture, better production, better analysis.

I love how my attacks towards Vancouver's problem riddled games are being turned into personal attacks against me. :w00t:

Dwight_K_Schrute
02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Yes! Pierre McCguire is doing colour for our hockey!!!!

I'm so happy I love him so much.

flip
02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Personally I've thought that the CTV coverage has been adequate. Like others I think it is a travesty that Kyprios is on the TSN pannel. Pang I don't mind but really, Kyprios? WTF?!?

Also, with regards to the negativity, all I can say is that I was pretty pissed off yesterday when Robertson blew the Gold. He clearly let up and pretty much handed the gold to the US snowboarder.

I don't think CTV are being overly critical, I just think some of you guys are overly sensitive. There is nothing wrong with some criticism of athletes that are under performing. Now the Pelletier thing is lame but other than that I think most of the "criticism" is justified.

In fact the CTV broadcasters were far too positive with regards to the mens 500m speed skating. They pumped up our athletes like world beaters and realistically we were never contenders.

MrMastodonFarm
02-16-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm so happy I love him so much.
http://image.guim.co.uk/Guardian/arts/gallery/2007/jul/22/comedy.films/shaun_dead_PR-1384.jpg

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Dwight_K_Schrute
02-16-2010, 05:29 PM
I feel bad for Bob Mckenzie for having to sit next to that yelling idiot.

Dwight_K_Schrute
02-16-2010, 05:30 PM
http://image.guim.co.uk/Guardian/arts/gallery/2007/jul/22/comedy.films/shaun_dead_PR-1384.jpg

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

If loving Pierre McCguire makes me gay then I'm proud to be gay.

hwy19man
02-16-2010, 06:37 PM
NBC does a great job covering the Olympics, just not live. I watch them when I can. It is a shame that Pacific timezone affiliates of NBC are watching so many events tape delayed. I know some americans in Washington and Idaho states that have just gone and purchased canadian satellite dishes. The CTV is barely offered on american cable companies.

RoadGame
02-16-2010, 06:38 PM

If that outfit was terrible then so were half of the rest of them. Why do skating costumers feel the need to mesh "Derelicte" with sequins? Those all deserved the kind of Joan Rivers-esque venom that those poor Ukrainians got.

hwy19man
02-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Aside from that CTV has been fine, I just turn the channel whenever Don Taylor is on so I don't have to be exposed to his idiocy.

You will love this about Don Taylor. From Chris Zelkovich of the Toronto Star, http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/2010/02/vancouver-day-2-record-ratings-for-opening-ceremony.html

AND THE OLYMPIAN KNUCKLEHEAD OF THE DAY IS ... Sportsnet anchor Don Taylor, who opened Saturday's show with a juvenile reference to the technical glitch that messed up the finale of the opening ceremony. ``I really appreciated it, as a man over 45, when the hydraulics didn't work on the cauldron. I really appreciated it. I felt it was dedicated to me." That might have received a few laughs in a bar. But on national TV?

Phil Ivey
02-16-2010, 07:05 PM
You will love this about Don Taylor. From Chris Zelkovich of the Toronto Star, http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/2010/02/vancouver-day-2-record-ratings-for-opening-ceremony.html

AND THE OLYMPIAN KNUCKLEHEAD OF THE DAY IS ... Sportsnet anchor Don Taylor, who opened Saturday's show with a juvenile reference to the technical glitch that messed up the finale of the opening ceremony. ``I really appreciated it, as a man over 45, when the hydraulics didn't work on the cauldron. I really appreciated it. I felt it was dedicated to me." That might have received a few laughs in a bar. But on national TV?

Haha come on that Flames call is gold. Funny cause its true.

ricosuave
02-16-2010, 08:22 PM
I have noticed that if it's not Gold it's disappointing. I think if they got a medal or were close that it was a job well done and should be more of a positive note in the interviews.

But, but, I thought we all had to "believe"

Otto-matic
02-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Olympic site fail

Nickname: Diggy and Joe. (players.nhlpa.com, 07 Feb 2002, canada.com, 11 Sept 2008)

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-hockey/athletes/jarome-iginla_ath1022744Ks.html

Where does Joe come from?

Ace Handy
02-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Olympic site fail

Nickname: Diggy and Joe. (players.nhlpa.com, 07 Feb 2002, canada.com, 11 Sept 2008)

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-hockey/athletes/jarome-iginla_ath1022744Ks.html

Where does Joe come from?

Read the last of his list of awards and honors:

He was awarded the Memorial Cup, given to the most sportsmanlike player, in 1995. (Forecaster, 28 July 2009)

Sigh.

Daradon
02-16-2010, 11:41 PM
I agree the commentators have been quite rude to the athletes. The whole media seems to have built the pressure up way too high.

I guess that's what we get in a 24 hour news society. You always need a story, and you gotta ruffle some feathers to get sound bites. :(