PDA

View Full Version : Pressure

-TC-
02-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Too much on our athletes perhaps?

Or are we just not quite as good in some events (mens downhill for example) as we thought?

Papi34
02-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Pressures gone thanks to alex biledou(sp?)

The gorilla is off everyones back however its the olympics the field in every sport is so deep anyone can win.

Oh ya.... Its also only day 5 the medals will come...

Huntingwhale
02-16-2010, 10:39 AM
There is pressure in all sports, and all aspects of life. It just depends on how people deal with it.

Ducay
02-16-2010, 10:42 AM
I've found CTV has over-hyped many of our atheletes, potentially putting too much pressure on them.

Thus far:
-Osbourne-Paradis
-Wotherspoon

Art Vandelay
02-16-2010, 10:45 AM
I've found CTV has over-hyped many of our atheletes, potentially putting too much pressure on them.

Thus far:
-Osbourne-Paradis
-Wotherspoon

Yeah, Im with you there. The whole Redemption thing with Wotherspoon was ridiculous.

skins
02-16-2010, 12:32 PM
I thought I remember reading somewhere that most of Canada's medals will come later in the games. Can anyone confirm?

Ruttiger
02-16-2010, 12:34 PM
I thought I remember reading somewhere that most of Canada's medals will come later in the games. Can anyone confirm?

Correct. The majority of our prime events don't occur until week two. The failure/choke tags should be put on hold - relax people.

North East Goon
02-16-2010, 12:34 PM
americans seem to thrive under pressure, it really just comes down to each individual.

GirlySports
02-16-2010, 12:35 PM
I can't imagine the pressure of doing a sport with one run.
What's the saying? You train for 1000 days to be ready for 1?

I would rather be in a team sport. Get at least 3 games in :)

Northendzone
02-16-2010, 01:05 PM
someties i can't help but think the word pressure should only be left so those who have to make a choice any given month between paying rent, buying food or buying needed medication - people who play games for a living are under no pressure.

RatherDashing
02-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Too much on our athletes perhaps?

Or are we just not quite as good in some events (mens downhill for example) as we thought?

Mike Robertson, Alex Bilodeau, and Kristina Groves all medaled despite being ranked outside of the top 3 in their disciplines. Charles Hamelin is the only Canadian who was actually favoured to medal who didn't. We have also had numerous athletes place exceptionally well (Biathlon top 10, Mens long track, Mens downhill). Thus far, I would say the Canadian athletes are performing extremely well, especially with all of the national pressure.

Cowperson
02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
To be clear, pressure is driving a Humvee in Afghanistan or being a single mother with two kids on social assistance. That's pressure that's inescapable.

These guys/gals have only the pressure they choose to put on themselves . . . . or more accurately, the pressure they choose to allow into their narrowly focussed world.

Wotherspoon looked like a beaten man when Catriona LeMay Doan, a veteran and a champion herself, was accurately yelling something about him not being aggressive enough halfway through his second race. He just oozed looking like a guy who believed he shouldn't and couldn't win, in spite of his otherwise impeccable championship credentials. He's a very odd case but he's very consistent when it comes to the Olympics, the biggest stage of all.

Bilodeau was clutch, clutch, clutch at the biggest moment. Incredible. I thought Jennifer Heil was also outstanding at the biggest moment. There's nothing to be ashamed of in her performance either, not when the other gal did what she did.

Our snowboard cross guy yesterday was kind of amusing . . . . . he didn't look like he wilted under any pressure, only that he kind of thought he had it in the bag and eased up just enough on one bump that he lost too much speed, forgetting the Big Shark was still in the hunt.

There's nothing wrong with "Own The Podium" in the sense we seem to be giving our athletes, finally, the resources they need to be successful. It's such a small amount - $117 million - in the big budget picture, yet immense in terms of what it might yield in terms of the national psyche. We should double it.

Cowperson

Radically Red
02-16-2010, 03:45 PM
We need to keep the program going.. I sure hope it continues for all olympics.

sa226
02-16-2010, 04:08 PM
I really don't know where to put this, not really new thread worthy and I figured it would get lost in the "on right now" thread, so I put it in this one.

I have been looking for this forever, its a clever little montage that cbc put together after the 2002 olympics. Its really only the first few minutes the rest is just credits.

cAy84GLOdiY