PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Gouging?

old-fart
02-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Not sure where to put this, but I was talking to one of my employees today who lives in Vancouver and they told me that they were taking a couple days off to do some Olympic stuff with their family. It's all good.

Anyway, she's not going to any events because they were too expensive, but she is going to watch a medal ceremony - at the cost of $50 a head. The "cheap" seats for the medal ceremony are $22 a head. I said that was pretty steep just to watch the medal ceremony and she said "ya, but this is the first Olympics ever where they are giving all the medals to the athletes in a central place".

Gahh? 1988 ring a bell? Olympic Plaza? Free?

Now, she does get to watch Hedley afterwards... that's worth... something.... I think.

I get the prices to the Gold Medal Men's final hockey game are probably pricey... but $22 to watch them hand out medals, something that was first done in Calgary and was free?

Resolute 14
02-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Yeah, most of the medals in 88 were handed out in Olympic Plaza, and in both cases, I think it is a terrible idea. The medal ceremonies should follow the events, and be held on site, imnsho.

Johnny Canuck
02-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah, most of the medals in 88 were handed out in Olympic Plaza, and in both cases, I think it is a terrible idea. The medal ceremonies should follow the events, and be held on site, imnsho.

I agree with this post. It seems odd to me that the athletes don't get their medal + anthem played when they win the event. I think it takes a little away from the moment when they have to wait a day to recieve their medal's.

flylock shox
02-15-2010, 08:56 PM
I dunno, $22 seems a decent deal to me to see a decent band plus some Olympic experience.

There are still tickets available at $22 for the Stereophonics concert, presumably because it's the only concert at which there is no associated medals ceremony. I would be pretty content to pay that just for the Stereophonics though. I'm sure some would feel differently.

Hemi-Cuda
02-15-2010, 08:59 PM
for the outdoor events i can see the point in having the medals awarded later (bigger crowds, possible weather issues, etc), but it just looks very weird not seeing the speed skaters skate around the oval with their medals. that was one of the best parts of '06, seeing Clara Hughes skate the oval with her gold medal and flag draped around her neck if the men's hockey teams don't get their medals right after the gold medal game, that will be ######ed

Flamesguy_SJ
02-15-2010, 10:14 PM
I think the reason they don't get their medals right after the event is because they have to undergo doping tests directly after. I remember them mentioning that about Bilodeau last night.

GirlySports
02-15-2010, 10:16 PM
I think it's $22 for the concert.. handing out medals is just a minor interruption

zarrell
02-15-2010, 11:07 PM
I think the reason they don't get their medals right after the event is because they have to undergo doping tests directly after. I remember them mentioning that about Bilodeau last night.

Oh that's a good "reason" alright. The real reason is they can sell tickets to another event.

dubc80
02-15-2010, 11:46 PM
I assume they'll hand out the medals for the mens gold medal game immediately after the game since it's on the last day and the closing ceremonies are right after it.

SebC
02-16-2010, 01:20 AM
I went to one... IMO, not worth much more than $20 unless you really want to see the concert.

... and here I was thinking this would be about scalpers, VANOC's prices, prices for international guests (way higher), or VANOC encouraging and enabling scalping.

Bertuzzied
02-16-2010, 01:54 AM
They should pay people $22 each to walk into BC place.

GGG
02-16-2010, 01:57 AM
I am actually surprised by the lack of gouging.

I had assumed the olympics were going to alot like stampede where everything is designed to seperate you from your money but actually I would say other then tickets to events and beer/food everything else is free. Tons of pavilions to check out and see. Lots of free entertainment throughout the downtown area. Cops that won't give you a ticket for drinking descretely on the street.

Tsawwassen
02-16-2010, 04:36 AM
I am actually surprised by the lack of gouging.

I had assumed the olympics were going to alot like stampede where everything is designed to seperate you from your money but actually I would say other then tickets to events and beer/food everything else is free. Tons of pavilions to check out and see. Lots of free entertainment throughout the downtown area. Cops that won't give you a ticket for drinking descretely on the street.

Word on the street has been that cops are handing out lots of tickets for drinking and urinating. Check out the Province and Vancouver Sun newspapers, places have been accused of gouging. A standard beer is $10.25 yet the same location two weeks ago, it was $6.25. I know about supply and demand but talk about discouraging your local and regular customers.