PDA

View Full Version : Where will this one rank?

sa226
02-14-2010, 09:09 PM
I'd like to know where people think this Men's Hockey tournament may rank in the history of international hockey competition.

I was just talking to my dad and he remembered that they stopped all of the classes in his school so that they could watch the 72 summit series.

Will this be one of those moments where you remember where you were and what you were doing at that specific moment?

At one extreme, we consider this our game and we are playing this best on best tournament on home ice. This may never happen again. At one end of the spectrum this could be the defining moment for canadian hockey for this generation.

At the other end of the spectrum, its just another international competition, and there will be another one in 4 years. No big deal.

I think it falls somewhere in the middle. 2002 was huge because it was the best player to ever play game heading up a team that considers itself the very best in the world, and it had not won olympic gold in 50 years.

I think this year is bigger for the simple fact that its on home ice. The importance is magnified by our complete and utter failure in Turin.

I do not believe that it is nearly as big as 72 because there is barely a hint of political and idealogical tension between any of the countries in the competition.

So where do you think Vancouver 2010 ranks?

Muta
02-14-2010, 09:11 PM
How was Turin a failure? We won more medals in 2006 than in any other Winter Olympic competition to date.

HPLovecraft
02-14-2010, 09:14 PM
He's talking about hockey, isn't he?

hwy19man
02-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Nagano 98 was not great either, but not a total failure. Overall, I rank this around the middle since these games are on canadian soil.

Johnny Canuck
02-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Like the op, My assumption is that if Canada wins gold in mens hockey, it will rank a few notches higher than the 2002 Olympics in terms of excitement/importance.

Igottago
02-14-2010, 09:53 PM
It'll rank high because its on home soil. I live in Vancouver...if Canada wins Gold on that Sunday, the party here will be epic, as I'm sure it will across Canada.

This might be one of the very few times in my life I'll be able to celebrate a hockey win with the people of Vancouver.

troutman
02-14-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't think a knock-out tournament means as much as an eight game summit. No time to prepare - 2010 is pretty much a crap shoot. I don't think tourneys like this say much about who the best team is.

Muta
02-14-2010, 10:27 PM
He's talking about hockey, isn't he?

It's late and I haven't had my injection of liquor yet to clear my head.

spiteface
02-15-2010, 02:30 PM
It's late and I haven't had my injection of liquor yet to clear my head.

lol

kermitology
02-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Something about the mens hockey team just doesn't ring true to me for some reason. There isn't the emotion there. I don't know how to explain it.

2002 was so far removed from any other gold medal that it was so important. 2010, just isn't.