PDA

View Full Version : 2002... What's your story?

CokeMachineGlow
02-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Soon our mens hockey team will take the stage in the 2nd most anticipated Olympics hockey tourney imo (salt lake being #1). Where did you watch the game? Do you feel the same anticipation?

I watched the game with my dad and our new beagle, and I swear, every time we scored I terrified that poor dog with my leaping off the couch and screaming "yaaaaa!!!"

Bonus question... if you could go back in time and take away our '02 gold vs the States.. and turn it into an 04 Cup vs the Bolts... would you do it? I don't think I could but thinking about that makes my head hurt

Winsor_Pilates
02-12-2010, 09:08 PM
I had to work at HMV Southcentre. We turned all 6 TVs on to the game and turned off the music, up with the game sound.
It was a very quiet day, so for the most part we could focus on the game and enjoy it.

BlackArcher101
02-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Was sitting in SAIT rez with the roomies. Awesome time. I'll never forget the energy.

Jesse834
02-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Was sitting at home with my family.

valo403
02-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Drove all night from LA back to Calgary so we could watch the game in Canada. Wound up laying on my floor for the whole thing. Still awesome.

Caged Great
02-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Was sitting at home with my family.

X2

in 06, I was cheering for Finland in the Finals.

nfotiu
02-12-2010, 10:17 PM
I was sitting right here, and it was awesome, but I'd trade the gold medal for the 04 cup any day.:

http://troyandchristy.smugmug.com/Vacation/Salt-Lake-Olympics/01919/49377462_Pw6do-M.jpg

Nammer403
02-12-2010, 10:22 PM
i was in jr high and we kept hearing about the mens team winning during the round robin during class...and for the gold medal game i was at home with family watching

Bob
02-12-2010, 10:24 PM
My sister had a serious allergic reaction with about 5 minutes to go and I had to drive her to the hospital. We passed cars full of cheering people on the way there. I don't remember much about the mens game at all actually; mostly I remember the women's game and all the stupid penalties the refs called against Canada to try and help the US.

DownhillGoat
02-12-2010, 10:44 PM
At the on-hill pub at Panorama. Great time.

Bonus question... if you could go back in time and take away our '02 gold vs the States.. and turn it into an 04 Cup vs the Bolts... would you do it?
In a heartbeat.

Flamesguy_SJ
02-12-2010, 11:40 PM
I was at home with my family celebrating my birthday. Even people who aren't really hockey fans (my dad, brother, grandfather) were watching and it was such a great atmosphere, all of us sitting around the TV after supper. Definitely one of the best birthday presents ever :D

And I absolutely would trade gold for a Stanley Cup in a heartbeat. No question.

wpgflamesfan
02-13-2010, 12:01 AM
I was at home with my family celebrating my birthday. Even people who aren't really hockey fans (my dad, brother, grandfather) were watching and it was such a great atmosphere, all of us sitting around the TV after supper. Definitely one of the best birthday presents ever :D

And I absolutely would trade gold for a Stanley Cup in a heartbeat. No question.

Apparently we share the same birthday. As for me, I had my own hockey game so I didn't see it. I'm not much of an International hockey fan so i'd gladly trade that medal for the 04 cup (which we delayed our lacrosse game in sherwood park for so that we could watch game six.)

dubc80
02-13-2010, 12:14 AM
It was Reading Week and my buddies and I watched most of the tournament in this bar called the No Name Cafe in Puerto Vallarta Mexico.

We got back the day of the gold medal game, but I spent 1/2 the time running back and forth from the living room to the washroom cause I got sick on one of our last days there. At one point, I cranked the volume so I could hear it while sitting on the pot. LOL!

killer_carlson
02-13-2010, 09:02 AM
The mens game was exciting and I'll admit a tear came to my eye when Theo pushed to the front of the line to get the medal (because I love that little bugger), but it was the women's gold medal game and the heinous crooked officiating that almost gave me a nervous breakdown.

I watched it at the student lounge at the law school and spent the whole game pacing. I may or may not have been on my second bottle of wine. It is, by far, the most stressed and emotionally invested I have ever been for a sporting event - even including game 7 against TB.

Frank MetaMusil
02-13-2010, 10:10 AM
This was my last year of high school and we were at a friends place getting hammered.

browna
02-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Have the Iginla jersery right beside me...the left shoulder has a stain still on it from the over exhuburent celebration after Iginla's second goal, where my rye flew out of my hands.

Bonus question... if you could go back in time and take away our '02 gold vs the States.. and turn it into an 04 Cup vs the Bolts... would you do it? I don't think I could but thinking about that makes my head hurt

Without question. I'd take 6th place in the next 6 Olympics for Canada if it meant at least 1 more Stanley Cup in that same time frame for the Flames.

CBC, who always does these better than anyone, with the closing credits from SLC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAy84GLOdiY

jkstuart12
02-13-2010, 10:33 AM
I was just 14 at the time, and I rmember I ws at home with my family. A few days before I had broken my arm playing hockey so I was sitting on the couch watching the game with a cast on. I remember when Joe scored the goal late in the third to put us 3 goals ahead I jumped up and threw my arms up in the air, forgetting I had a broken arm and then a felt a lot of pain. :p

Blaster86
02-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I recall skipping school to stay home and watch it.

TheCommodoreAfro
02-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Drunk in Mission. Went up to 17th Ave to see the celebration. Went to the ship. Had more booze. Went back to buddy's place in Inglewood. Rewatched the game and had more booze. Took a cab back to my place (lived in Kensington at the time) and vomited in a vacant lot. Walked to work to work off the booze and spent most of the day with people in the same condition I was in. Good fun, those 48 hours.

drewboy12
02-14-2010, 08:16 AM
I think I was 15. I remember watching it at home, and seeing the celebration on the news... Such an amazing game. Brought the country together for sure.

dubc80
02-14-2010, 11:29 AM
I still get goosebumps when I hear the clip of Bob Cole telling everyone in the nation to "stand up and cheer".