PDA

View Full Version : Community

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

kermitology
10-08-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm really enjoying this show.. and most of it is because of THIS GUY:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/10/08/community-danny-pudi/

Also, he says, ”When I go to the gas station, the amount of gallons and the price have to end on something that is numerically interesting. Like if the gallons is 131, something symmetrical like a 262 is awesome. Or 555, because then I’ll be like 131 is five total. So it’s five on top, and then three fives on the bottom. That’s okay. But if it’s 484 and then 612, I’m like, ‘I need more gas.’ That’s weird, but it’s true. I do it, and I don’t even realize I’m doing it. I’ll be like, why am I still trying to get a little drop of gas? Then I’ll get it, and I’ll be like Yes! Then someone will look over and be like, ‘You are freakin’ insane.’ And I’ll be like, ‘Yeah, but I got a full tank of gas, and mentally I’m fine for like the next 15 minutes until I need lip balm.’”

Russic
10-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Funny you'd mention this ... I was going to start a thread on it earlier in the week. The american itunes store had some free pilots last week ... this one was one of them. I watched it on the train and had a very hard time not laughing out loud. Extremely impressed with the show so far. Looking forward to catching up.

Tyler
10-08-2009, 03:26 PM
McHale is funny and the chick is schwing-alicious

dobbles
10-08-2009, 03:26 PM
the wife and i have really enjoyed this show. the character dynamics have been really good. hopefully with a time shift it can get more viewers.

fatso
10-08-2009, 03:28 PM
great show with a great cast. Joel McHale is awesome and the woman who plays Britta is hot as heck. I actually had the episodes PVR'd and ended up re-watching them with my girlfriend. It was actually funnier the second time around... the show is paced so quickly I think a lot of the jokes get missed on first viewing.

BlackEleven
10-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Chevy Chase is still hilarious.

kermitology
10-08-2009, 03:35 PM
DJ Steve Porter Community Rap (Slap Chop Guy)

JgvRfmo8Ock

kermitology
10-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Original rap: http://video.hollywoodreporter.com/services/player/bcpid40254714001?bctid=41947359001

yads
10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Show is pretty damn funny. Reminds of Arrested Development with the snappy style.

troutman
10-08-2009, 04:31 PM
The first two were awesome, but the third episode was not quite as funny. Loved the John Hughes tribute in episode 1, and the Spanish presentation in #2.

This show is very funny, and it has a heart too.

We have all had professors like these.

Titan
10-08-2009, 04:50 PM
The spanish presentation was laugh out loud funny.

The Goon
10-08-2009, 04:53 PM
My wife and I have a $5.00 bet on whether this show will survive for a second season (I have the over). It is funny, but NBC kills shows pretty early, so I don't like my chances.

For those interested, the blonde on the show was topless in a movie last year. I actually prefer the nerdy brunette in the study group.

Methanolic
10-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Chevy Chase is still hilarious.

His interpretation of the word "Tardy" cracked me up!

Freeway
10-08-2009, 05:07 PM
My wife and I have a $5.00 bet on whether this show will survive for a second season (I have the over). It is funny, but NBC kills shows pretty early, so I don't like my chances.

For those interested, the blonde on the show was topless in a movie last year. I actually prefer the nerdy brunette in the study group.

To be fair...

It's NBC on Thursdays. Since taking a chance on The Office, NBC gives shows time to find an audience. 30 Rock and The Office have made them enough coin that they can take chances every now and then.

kermitology
10-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Good episode tonight. The best part was the credits with Troy and Abed impersonating people they saw through the glass only to find out they could be heard. That needs to he a show signature.

Freeway
10-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Good episode tonight. The best part was the credits with Troy and Abed impersonating people they saw through the glass only to find out they could be heard. That needs to he a show signature.

The pilot had no credits tag, but the Spanish episode had them rapping and last week's episode had them krumping. I quite enjoy that running gag.

wittynickname
10-09-2009, 01:20 AM
...Dammit, I haven't been watching the credits. What the hell, I already deleted the last ep from the DVR.

I'm loving this show. I don't generally watch much TV, but between this, Glee, and hockey, my DVR has been way too full lately.

Flames89
10-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Love the show. For some reason I have watched the first eposide about 3 times, 2nd twice, and 3rd and 4th now once. However, can't bring myself to delete off my PVR.

I never rewatch sitcoms.

fatso
03-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Anyone still watching this? I absolutely love it, and it's my favourite comedy of the year by far (much funnier than 'Glee' and 'Modern Family', both of which I really like).

This week's episode with White Abed was unexpected and hilarious!

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kyshx1JMef1qz82gvo1_500.jpg

Swarly
03-06-2010, 09:44 AM
I wish I could be brown Joey.

Ya this has unexpectedly turned into one of my favorite shows this year. The last episode had me in tears with the naked billiards.

me_dennis
03-06-2010, 10:40 AM
my favorite episode was the halloween one where abed was batman.. the final scene where he rescues chevy chase is pure comedic gold

troutman
03-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Senor Chang might be the best new character on TV.

corporatejay
03-06-2010, 11:10 AM
It has been renewed for a second season.

fatso
03-07-2010, 12:20 PM
It has been renewed for a second season.

Thanks! Was wondering about that as the cynic in me assumed it would be cancelled... Here's video of Dan Harmon informing the cast of this good news:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/for-nbcs-community-a-dramatic-and-funny-announcement-of-a-second-season/

Senor Chang might be the best new character on TV.

I agree, Senor Chang is great.

lzCiEe-NCzY

I also think Vaughn is great. Here's the entire track for Some Worries' smash, "Getting Ridda Britta":

bv5XlcdAyoM

Barnes
03-07-2010, 01:48 PM
NBC's thursday's line up is pretty strong. Parks and Rec is waaaay better this year.

Gozer
03-07-2010, 02:38 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu18/theblacktopislava/2hg93ww.gif

Hemi-Cuda
03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu18/theblacktopislava/2hg93ww.gif

i have never seen this show before, but those sweater puppies have piqued my interest

troutman
03-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Chevy is also fearless in being the d-bag.

troutman
03-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Senor Chang on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Senor-Chang/186164422563

Barnes
03-07-2010, 06:57 PM
i have never seen this show before, but those sweater puppies have piqued my interest

You don't watch Mad Men then either?

flamingreen
03-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Speaking of which ...

4aZ3CtRPjDM

Hemi-Cuda
03-07-2010, 07:53 PM

watched the first season, and while the redhead is smoking (she was even hotter in Firefly) i just found the show too slow paced. same issue i had when trying to get into Breaking Bad and Brotherhood

flames_1987
03-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I loved Joel Mchale in the Soup so I hope the best for this show

WindomURL
03-07-2010, 11:38 PM
I agree, Senor Chang is great.

lzCiEe-NCzY

I don't get it.

fatso
04-24-2010, 05:41 PM
anybody catch this week's tribute to mafia movies? Great stuff... I was dying when the coda for 'Layla' played.

http://images.tvrage.com/screencaps/113/22589/1064916528.jpg

Methanolic
04-24-2010, 06:09 PM
^ I thought it was done so well and really hilarious!

Loved the whole, Abed getting drunk with power aspect. Great episode.

Community is a real "Diamond in the Rough" and I think it's only getting better!. For me, It's right up there with the offfice, which also had an awesome episode this week ..by the way.

Barnes
04-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Awesome episode. I laughed my ass off when Chevy Chase was wearing that douchy Ed Hardy Hat.

Joborule
04-27-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm starting to get hooked to this show. Last week was awesome.

The Goon
05-07-2010, 05:18 AM
Last night's episode ("Modern Warfare") may have been one of my all-time favourite TV episodes ever. Just amazing from start to finish.

Cowperson
05-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Last night's episode ("Modern Warfare") may have been one of my all-time favourite TV episodes ever. Just amazing from start to finish.

I agree.

I thought that particular episode was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV.

Obscure show but they nailed that one.

Cowperson

Jude
05-07-2010, 07:33 AM
The only reason why I started watching this show is because I thought (the character) Troy looked familiar. He was (is?) actually a part of Derrick Comedy and I'm sure you've all seen some of their videos before

http://www.derrickcomedy.com/2008/08/21/keyboard-kid/

http://www.derrickcomedy.com/2007/08/20/bro-rape-an-investigative-report/

They actually made an appearance in Community when Pierce preps for punch-kicker 2 haha

fatso
05-08-2010, 05:08 PM
great episode. I believe there was even a nod to 'the Boondock Saints' when Shirley helped take down the disco crew. Here's a mock trailer for it:

qnV7p2cC6Bk

I think next week is the last episode of the season.

Joborule
05-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Modern Warfare was an excellent episode.

Methanolic
05-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Awesome episode. The "Slo-Mo" with Chang and his machine Gun was Fantastic!

DownhillGoat
05-09-2010, 08:11 PM
That was great. First episode I've seen. I'm hooked on it now.

Tiger
05-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I think the Modern Warfare episode was the best sitcom episode I have ever seen.

PyramidsofMars
05-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Man, I really hate this show. Genuinely pretentious, unlike most things that people call pretentious. And wtf is up with Abed? If you're going to use cliches to characterize any character, shouldn't they be the right ones? The only thing that remotely related to Arabness with Abed was the mention of 'falafel.' That episode that focused on Abed's love of film was chock full of South Asian cliches. You'd think that distinction wouldn't be toooo hard to make. He's not the only character that's just a bunch of walking cliches, either. I understand that's kind of the point, but still... Dumb.

I understand why people like it, but I just find it annoying.

jeremywilhelm
05-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Man, I really hate this show. Genuinely pretentious, unlike most things that people call pretentious. And wtf is up with Abed? If you're going to use cliches to characterize any character, shouldn't they be the right ones? The only thing that remotely related to Arabness with Abed was the mention of 'falafel.' That episode that focused on Abed's love of film was chock full of South Asian cliches. You'd think that distinction wouldn't be toooo hard to make. He's not the only character that's just a bunch of walking cliches, either. I understand that's kind of the point, but still... Dumb.

Dude, WTF are you talking about?

PyramidsofMars
05-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Dude, WTF are you talking about?
What about my post, specifically, is so distressing to you, good sir?

jeremywilhelm
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
What about my post, specifically, is so distressing to you, good sir?

The show is a comedy, that uses cliches (the bad ones) to make people laugh. Even if they ARE the incorrect cliches. I would hazard a guess that this is done on purpose.

Maybe you are just taking the show too seriously, or have no sense of humor.

PyramidsofMars
05-10-2010, 01:02 AM
The show is a comedy, that uses cliches (the bad ones) to make people laugh. Even if they ARE the incorrect cliches. I would hazard a guess that this is done on purpose.

Maybe you are just taking the show too seriously, or have no sense of humor.

I understand that much about what the intentions of the writers might be, I simply don't find the humour funny, personally.

As for using the wrong cliches, if that's indeed done on purpose, then it's just really unfunny to me. I'm going to write something now where I characterize an Indonesian character with Chinese cliches. I expect it won't be funny at all.

jeremywilhelm
05-10-2010, 06:14 AM
I expect that is because you are not funny. Not because you can't make it work.

BaldyAuldy
05-10-2010, 09:10 AM
great episode. I believe there was even a nod to 'the Boondock Saints' when Shirley helped take down the disco crew. Here's a mock trailer for it:

qnV7p2cC6Bk

I think next week is the last episode of the season.Boondock Saints? I assumed the disco crew was a nod to "The Warriors"

PyramidsofMars
05-10-2010, 09:40 AM
I expect that is because you are not funny. Not because you can't make it work.
Fair enough.

Barnes
05-10-2010, 11:37 AM
I find Community unfunny because the character Annie's cliches are not jewey enough for me.

Starburns is also not Greek enough.

gottabekd
05-10-2010, 12:40 PM

See, I think the thing you are missing is that Abed identifies as American. He is obsessed with American culture. It just happens that he isn't white.

That said, you don't want a sitcom for realistic characters.

amorak
05-10-2010, 12:42 PM
I understand that much about what the intentions of the writers might be, I simply don't find the humour funny, personally.

As for using the wrong cliches, if that's indeed done on purpose, then it's just really unfunny to me. I'm going to write something now where I characterize an Indonesian character with Chinese cliches. I expect it won't be funny at all.

Ohh man, I bet you're the life of the party.

Community is hilarious... End of story!

PyramidsofMars
05-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Ohh man, I bet you're the life of the party.

Community is hilarious... End of story!

At a party, I would not say more than "well, I don't really think it's funny." Actually, it depends on what sort of party we're talking about. If hot chicks are present I'll be outside the party doing this:

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/285470/naughty-torgo-o.gif

PyramidsofMars
05-10-2010, 01:15 PM
See, I think the thing you are missing is that Abed identifies as American. He is obsessed with American culture. It just happens that he isn't white.

That said, you don't want a sitcom for realistic characters.
Nah, I totally get that. I'm talking about when they refer to his culture, none of that remotely fits for a Mediterranean Arab (his dad is supposed to be Palestinian, right?), they're South Asian cliches. At one point they talk about Ravi Shankar tickets! The actors they hire to play both Abed and his father are East Indian. Etc. etc. Anyway, it's not worth talking about this much, you guys go ahead and like the show as much as you want to, I just don't think it's very funny.

fatso
05-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Boondock Saints? I assumed the disco crew was a nod to "The Warriors"

I meant when Shirley has her guns at 180 degrees and recites 'The Lord is my shepherd' before blasting post-ironic Disco Stu's crew. I may be wrong though. Been a while since I've seen it.

jeremywilhelm
05-11-2010, 09:06 AM
I don't think Family Guy is funny, so I just don't watch it. Or try to analyze it.

dobbles
05-11-2010, 10:06 AM
i love community. i watched it initially because i work at a community college and it had me from the start. i do wish they would get john oliver in more episodes. i thought he was pretty funny in his scenes with ken jeong in the pilot and also the episode where abed ruins the psych experiment was pretty good with him in it.

To Be Quite Honest
05-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Well I started watching this show at the recommendations of this thread and after 13 episodes I have to say I'm SHOCKED anyone would say this is even close to being as funny as Arrested Development. Community is built for people with zero attention span and is completely 1 dimensional. The writing is predictable and poorly crafted so you really don't care about the main characters at all. Well except for Abed who holds some interest.

With that being said I am sure it will have enough followers to at least carry Community to the next season (I'm guessing) but it will get boring for the majority very soon as the "shtick" each character has can only last so long.

Modern Family is a much more rounded and thought out comedy, however, it still doesn't come close to Arrested Development. The writing style and character development is way ahead of most comedy shows airing today. I may be bias to:
http://www.radiosantafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/sofia-vergara2.jpg

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTY4MzY5MjIxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzg0MjQ2MQ@@._ V1._SX288_SY432_.jpg

To Be Quite Honest
05-13-2010, 08:41 PM

Cliche's or opposites makes it "easy" to write, and simple for the viewers to understand. One of the reasons this show will be picked up again next year.

This is also one of the reasons Arrested Development failed. It was written too well and was too complicated or layered for the majority of viewers. Damn shame. One thing is for sure, Arrested Development raised the bar for comedy. Without it Community would be a 4/10 instead of a 6.5/10.

troutman
05-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Well I started watching this show at the recommendations of this thread and after 13 episodes I have to say I'm SHOCKED anyone would say this is even close to being as funny as Arrested Development. Community is built for people with zero attention span and is completely 1 dimensional. The writing is predictable and poorly crafted so you really don't care about the main characters at all. Well except for Abed who holds some interest.

Snob didn't get the joke.

To Be Quite Honest
05-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Snob didn't get the joke.

Using Pedantic would have been funnier. :D

To Be Quite Honest
05-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Actually, I did come off a bit prickish there. I basically said people who like that show are stupid and that is wrong and I'm sorry for that. I do however believe that we need to get picky. Community has potential, but it is just coasting through with a C average. If we look at comedy right now it is VASTLY better than the 90's and earlier. There were always gems like Larry Sanders, Dream On, etc but until the audience actually starts adjusting and demanding more than a C, it's pretty much all we are going to get. I would love more developed comedy like Arrested Development, Larry Sanders (my two Favorite) and I'm not afraid to complain to get it!

These complex layered comedies actually, in my opinion, energize the brain, (Zero actual facts to back this up) because they are multidimensional. These programs force us to concentrate and pay more attention then a one dimensional Balki Bartokomous can.

fatso
05-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Actually, I did come off a bit prickish there. I basically said people who like that show are stupid and that is wrong and I'm sorry for that. I do however believe that we need to get picky. Community has potential, but it is just coasting through with a C average. If we look at comedy right now it is VASTLY better than the 90's and earlier. There were always gems like Larry Sanders, Dream On, etc but until the audience actually starts adjusting and demanding more than a C, it's pretty much all we are going to get. I would love more developed comedy like Arrested Development, Larry Sanders (my two Favorite) and I'm not afraid to complain to get it!

These complex layered comedies actually, in my opinion, energize the brain, (Zero actual facts to back this up) because they are multidimensional. These programs force us to concentrate and pay more attention then a one dimensional Balki Bartokomous can.

To be quite honest, I'd venture to say you haven't really watched 'Community'.

I'd argue that the cliches the show relies on are constantly undermined. The whole point of the show is to toy with genre conventions, at the levels of both character and plot.

Further, there's been much more character development than you give it credit for. From the first episode to the last episode, the characters have grown into a community and developed relationships. In fact, the strength of the show is that the characters' development has been subtle and nuanced, and something they are even unaware of.

It's funny to me that you'd contrast it with 'Modern Family', which I think desperately relies on enacting stereotypes and closes so many episodes with a heavy-handed lesson on family. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy 'Modern Family. But to me, it's hardly a model of sophisticated writing.

Of course, I can see that 'Community' isn't for everyone. It can be a little mean-spirited at times, and the pop-culture referencing can occasionally become tedious. But I think it's much more clever and witty than you're recognizing.

To Be Quite Honest
05-16-2010, 11:47 AM
To be quite honest, I'd venture to say you haven't really watched 'Community'.

I'd argue that the cliches the show relies on are constantly undermined. The whole point of the show is to toy with genre conventions, at the levels of both character and plot.

Further, there's been much more character development than you give it credit for. From the first episode to the last episode, the characters have grown into a community and developed relationships. In fact, the strength of the show is that the characters' development has been subtle and nuanced, and something they are even unaware of.

It's funny to me that you'd contrast it with 'Modern Family', which I think desperately relies on enacting stereotypes and closes so many episodes with a heavy-handed lesson on family. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy 'Modern Family. But to me, it's hardly a model of sophisticated writing.

Of course, I can see that 'Community' isn't for everyone. It can be a little mean-spirited at times, and the pop-culture referencing can occasionally become tedious. But I think it's much more clever and witty than you're recognizing.

The paintball episode was genius. IMO the best episode.

Modern Family is written better. Better paced in the dialogue and editing.

Stereotypes are used in all facets of programing TV as it is something people can relate to and understand. It takes a lot of creativity to produce a long running show without them.

As well I contrasted more to Arrested Development as a few posters on here said Community was close to. I just believe out of the two Modern Family is better than Community.

Anyway I'll just close this with a pop culture reference from Woody Harrelson:

I can here Jimmy.

http://undergroundspiritualgame.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/jimi_hendrix-996.jpg

Gozer
05-16-2010, 12:25 PM
I can here Jimmy.

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Community-tv-29.jpg

Hemi-Cuda
08-02-2010, 05:28 PM
so i'm on episode 8, i wanted to wait until the season was finished before grabbing the whole thing so i could power through it. awesome show, love the rapid fire jokes like Arrested Development and 30 Rock. Chevy Chase tripping balls and building a desk fort is my personal highlight so far, and all the Abed/Troy bits and the end of each episode are gold. so glad they got picked up for a second season

Hemi-Cuda
10-09-2010, 03:21 AM
i hope that John Oliver has a more regular role in the show this season, he was awesome in the last episode

getbak
10-09-2010, 03:34 AM
"You, in the boobs."

Diet Water
10-09-2010, 09:06 AM
23ND3FKlT_k

Barnes
10-09-2010, 12:19 PM
"Let's go ladies. Those paps aren't going to smear themselves."

I loved the woman going into labour in the background and Abid helping her and later on delivering the baby in the back of the SUV.

3 Justin 3
10-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Best Chang moment:

5_2IR454jQg

kermitology
10-10-2010, 02:52 PM
"Let's go ladies. Those paps aren't going to smear themselves."

I loved the woman going into labour in the background and Abid helping her and later on delivering the baby in the back of the SUV.

I love Patton Oswalt!

getbak
10-10-2010, 02:56 PM
For those who missed Abed's sub-plot this week (watch the background)...

7tP0ubODOUQ

3 Justin 3
10-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Holy, I totally missed that. Now I am going to have to re-watch every episode and look out for this kind of stuff.

Flaming Choy
10-10-2010, 03:26 PM
For those who missed Abed's sub-plot this week (watch the background)...

7tP0ubODOUQ

Wow, i totally missed that. Pretty cool.

gottabekd
10-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Modern Family and Community are both pretty good shows.

It seems strange to demand more when shows like Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother that are the most watched sitcoms. Demand more from them.

Hemi-Cuda
10-10-2010, 06:38 PM
i saw the baby delivery in the background, but i didn't realize it was Abed and didn't catch any of the earlier stuff. great stuff

V
10-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah, that was the only bit I caught as well. I was having a hard time figuring out how it fit.

Awesome show.

Cowperson
10-11-2010, 09:21 AM
"Wow. You guys are real downers. I can't believe I made out with both of you. Uck."

Hahahaha.

Cowperson

Hemi-Cuda
10-19-2010, 10:46 PM
last week's episode was brilliant, loved The Right Stuff and Apollo 13 references

Meelapo
10-19-2010, 11:17 PM
The best episode still has to be the one titled "Modern Warfare" (the paintball episode). The references in that one were awesome. This is a great show!

malcolmk14
10-20-2010, 01:43 AM
the paintball episode and the chicken finger episode have been my favorites.

Didn't notice Abed's subplot last week, that's hilarious.

Cowperson
10-20-2010, 08:17 AM
last week's episode was brilliant, loved The Right Stuff and Apollo 13 references

I love Community but I thought last week's episode was a complete bomb, the worst I've seen from them.

Cowperson

yads
10-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Wow I thought it was the best of the season so far. Modern Warfare is definitely the best episode of them all though.

"Jeff Winger. You son of a bitch! I thought you was dead man."

fatso
10-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Great episode this week. Abed the movie... completely meta. My favourite line of the episode: "Shut down your mouth, fruit!".

The season has been a bit uneven though. Almost like they are trying to be too clever at times, rather than relying on the natural timing and charm of the actors (as they did in the 1st season). Still great though!

3 Justin 3
10-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Thought this episode was awesome. A lot like the Paintball episode from last season.

starseed
10-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Absolutely epic episode. Ties with Modern Warfare for #1 comedy episode of the year.

Hemi-Cuda
11-13-2010, 08:12 PM
more episodes with Annie in her underwear please

getbak
11-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Such a brilliant show.

In case you missed it (which I'm sure you did), here's Annie's Boobs stealing the pen (watch the highlighted area when it cuts to Abed, Troy, and Shirley)...

JV7RGgpmStY

3 Justin 3
11-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Such a brilliant show.

In case you missed it (which I'm sure you did), here's Annie's Boobs stealing the pen (watch the highlighted area when it cuts to Abed, Troy, and Shirley)...

JV7RGgpmStY

Yup, totally missed it. This show is too clever for me. ;)

More Annie based episodes please. Preferably in her underwear shaking.

Superflyer
11-13-2010, 11:09 PM
http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/1289530979537.gif

http://i.imgur.com/epmGg.gif

flames_1987
11-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Am I the only one who can't stand Donald Glover's acting as Troy? The guy just goes over the top in almost every comedic scene and I find his character to be horribly boring. Besides that I love this show

Diet Water
11-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Am I the only one who can't stand Donald Glover's acting as Troy? The guy just goes over the top in almost every comedic scene and I find his character to be horribly boring. Besides that I love this show

Probably not, but I think he is great.

Him, Chevy Chase, and Ken Jeong are the best characters on that show in my opinion.

Joborule
11-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Such a brilliant show.

JV7RGgpmStY

I love these little things they do in this show.

getbak
11-15-2010, 02:11 AM
I can't believe how well Alison Brie pulls off both of her roles on tv right now, with two characters who are so ridiculously different from each other.

Annie on Community:
http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/brie-clay.gif

Trudy on Mad Men:
http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mad-men-brie-nightgown.jpg

3 Justin 3
11-15-2010, 02:22 PM
I find it funny Allison Brie plays a 18/19 year old when she is 26. Not that I am going to dispute it, she is fiiine.

Just hollywood being hollywood.

flamesfan6
11-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I find it funny Allison Brie plays a 18/19 year old when she is 26. Not that I am going to dispute it, she is fiiine.

yea, but she can pull off the 18-20 look fairly well so it doesn't seem out of place. She doesn't look too old to be playing that role.

I've seen shows where the actor is like 26-30 and they are playing a high school student

Cowperson
11-15-2010, 03:04 PM

She also plays an older Trudy Campbell on Mad Men.

http://blogs.amctv.com/mad-men/trudy-325-s3.jpg

http://blogs.amctv.com/mad-men/2009/11/alison-brie-interview.php

A lot of the Glee cast are in their early to late 20's.

Great episode earlier in the week. You have to be some kind of fanatic though to pick up the pen snatch in that Youtube video. That's nuts.

Cowperson

troutman
11-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Just catching up and watched the Halloween show. There is nothing like this on tv. A Halloween party hosted by Lady Gaga, attended by Peggy Fleming, infested by zombies, and accompanied by ABBA.

Community is a love letter to pop culture.

3 Justin 3
11-19-2010, 02:58 PM
The last episode was awesome.

Dean Pelton is hilarious.

amorak
11-19-2010, 02:58 PM
God damn I love Annie's boobs.

bomber317
11-19-2010, 03:10 PM

The monkey? Or hers?

Cowperson
11-19-2010, 03:12 PM

Especially when they're rolling around on the floor.

Funniest episode of the season.

"I know a shortcut through the Turkish District!!"

"Don't look at me. All their permits for a parade were in order."

Loved that they had a newspaper with headlines about "blanket forts sweeping college campuses" because they had to know their episode might lead to exactly that.

Who didn't have a blanket fort when they were a kid?

Loved the exploding car.

Disappointed Annie didn't get in at least one Battlestar Galactica reference of "What the Frak!!!" when they were shooting each other. Ideal set up.

Cowperson

Barnes
11-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Everytime I watch this show I think about the poster who earlier in this thread said that this show is easy and simple comedy. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Especialy this episode where they go and do a chase episode set in a blanket fort. Brilliant.

LGA
11-19-2010, 05:01 PM
They also paid tribute to/referenced Arrested Development with their murder scene (think "That's why you leave a note")

fatso
11-19-2010, 10:14 PM
A great show... so funny and clever.

And there are no words to describe how much I love Alison Brie.

CzJSbxjVVjk

LGA
11-19-2010, 10:44 PM
A great show... so funny and clever.

And there are no words to describe how much I love Alison Brie.

CzJSbxjVVjk

Mmmmmm...Alison Brie...

42RtaIpIQRw

getbak
11-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Animated Christmas episode coming up December 9...

http://images.hitfix.com/assets/695/community-christmas-episode.jpg

Jeff and Britta look particularly creepy. I hope they used extra-jiggly clay for Annie.

3 Justin 3
11-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Wow awesome. Jeff's forehead is massive.

Cowperson
11-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Everytime I watch this show I think about the poster who earlier in this thread said that this show is easy and simple comedy. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Especialy this episode where they go and do a chase episode set in a blanket fort. Brilliant.

Did anyone else take the time to hit the pause button and study Annie's awesome, blood-curdling, warped diorama for the Bio-diorama-rama competition? Hilarious.

Favourite lines posted in TV Guide

• Troy on being a grown-up: “Enjoy eating fibre and watching The Mentalist.”
• Jeff on Annie’s sleuthing: “You’re going to Nancy Screw me out of my elective.”
• Annie on her diorama exhibition: “One kid made a diorama about a world without dioramas.”
• Jeff on pulling off a prank with Annie: “Annie took to deception like Abed took to Cougar Town.”

Cowperson

Meelapo
11-25-2010, 08:42 AM
I also think that one of the best lines this season has been "I know a shortcut through the Turkish district.".

This show is incredibly funny and should be recommended to everyone. My favorite episode is still the one from last season called "Modern Warfare" (the paintball episode). Normally after I watch shows I delete them from my PVR but I've kept this one so I can watch it every once in a while. The movie references are great.

Also having Kevin Jeong (Senor Chang) is awesome. I like that they only give him small parts every week because that adds to how great he is in this show.

Hemi-Cuda
12-19-2010, 01:13 AM
finally got around to watching the stop motion Christmas special, and it was excellent. probably one of the best Christmas specials of any TV show in the last decade. the Christmas Pterodactyl and Pierce as the squeaky bear were my favorite bits

Temporary_User
12-19-2010, 02:27 AM
finally got around to watching the stop motion Christmas special, and it was excellent. probably one of the best Christmas specials of any TV show in the last decade. the Christmas Pterodactyl and Pierce as the squeaky bear were my favorite bitsReally? I got around 10 minutes in and had to turn it off.

DownhillGoat
12-19-2010, 08:41 AM
I love the show but thought the Christmas episode was pretty weak.

Except for Piers' line about cookies, trees and alcohol.

silentsim
12-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Really? I got around 10 minutes in and had to turn it off.
same. just didn't like the style

Barnes
12-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Everytime I see a thread about a TV show I like bumped, I fear that I click the first unread post button and will see .... has been canceled.

Gozer
12-19-2010, 11:21 AM
I liked the episode, Abed carried it for me.

The Goon
12-19-2010, 12:48 PM
I would like to make the Christmas Pterodactyl part of our family's Christmas tradition.

Meelapo
12-30-2010, 11:12 PM
This is one of the reasons why people should be watching Community:

RlM_bSF0VOE

fatso
02-04-2011, 08:06 PM
No love for the amazing D&D episode of Community last night? Great that they could make a literal game of D&D so dramatic!

Mgxiv4841wc

Barnes
02-04-2011, 08:41 PM
I was really excited for the D&D episode and thought it was pretty good. It is really hard for them to beat the goodfellas, paintball and zombie episodes though. Those three were some of the most well produced half hour sitcoms ever.

It is by far the best network sitcom in a long time. It is a gem of a show if you are a alternative comedy nerd.

getbak
02-04-2011, 08:50 PM
The hand gestures between Annie and Abed when her character was seducing the stable girl were great.

flames_1987
02-04-2011, 09:03 PM
It still suffers from very weak acting sometimes, but the show has only gotten better and exceeded a great first season. I will never understand how American Neilson family's minds work. How Parks and Rec and Community can do so poorly in the ratings week after week while Two and a Half Men and Dancing with the stars are juggernauts.

Anyone else find a real dark tone to last nights episode? I loved the episode myself, and would put it up there as quite possibly 2nd favourite ever, but it really had a dark, comedy vibe going that Community really hasn't visited before.

Temporary_User
02-04-2011, 09:35 PM
I thought the D&D episode was one of the worst (Claymation one takes the crown on that).
Maybe because I have no interest in D&D. I actually had no idea what it was, and now do. Do nerds still play it? I thought it was for nerds in the 80s?

Cowperson
02-04-2011, 10:12 PM
I thought the D&D episode was one of the worst (Claymation one takes the crown on that).
Maybe because I have no interest in D&D. I actually had no idea what it was, and now do. Do nerds still play it? I thought it was for nerds in the 80s?

I loved the D&D episode, even though I really have no idea what D&D is about.

The weak link in this otherwise great show is Chevy Chase though. He's a distraction rather than an asset.

Cowperson

valo403
02-04-2011, 10:40 PM
It still suffers from very weak acting sometimes, but the show has only gotten better and exceeded a great first season. I will never understand how American Neilson family's minds work. How Parks and Rec and Community can do so poorly in the ratings week after week while Two and a Half Men and Dancing with the stars are juggernauts.

Anyone else find a real dark tone to last nights episode? I loved the episode myself, and would put it up there as quite possibly 2nd favourite ever, but it really had a dark, comedy vibe going that Community really hasn't visited before.

The average American is a moron, they enjoy watching other morons act like morons.

Try piloting a shopping cart through the average grocery store in Mid-America, there's a similar heft and intelligence as a holding pen at a packing plant.

(Btw, before any Americans/American residents get upset, this applies to Canada too, but the joke isn't as funny when you add that part, assuming it's funny at all)

fatso
02-04-2011, 11:53 PM
I guess my view on the show this year is a bit different than the majority. I haven't found it as entertaining or as well-written as the first season (notwithstanding the great zombie/Abba Halloween episode this year), but I've found Pierce better written this year than last.

That noted, let's get down to what's important and certainly of consensus vis-a-vis awesomeness:

http://media.egotastic.com/media/pictures/1102/alison-brie-gillian-jacobs-almost-kiss-twitpic-01.jpg

getbak
02-05-2011, 03:10 AM
I'm not sure why it repeats without audio (perhaps if you want to lip read: "I pull out my huge member")...

YlQmdkyNQ90

Cowperson
02-05-2011, 07:48 AM
The average American is a moron, they enjoy watching other morons act like morons.

Try piloting a shopping cart through the average grocery store in Mid-America, there's a similar heft and intelligence as a holding pen at a packing plant.

(Btw, before any Americans/American residents get upset, this applies to Canada too, but the joke isn't as funny when you add that part, assuming it's funny at all)

Snob.

Cowperson

Cowperson
02-05-2011, 11:55 AM
An interesting and unexpected interview today in the Globe &Mail with Allison Brie, otherwise known as Annie on Community, a character player on Mad Men and, of course, the ex-star of Hot Sluts.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/television/there-are-actors-you-avoid-and-then-theres-alison-brie/article1894459/?service=mobile

Cowperson

Hemi-Cuda
02-05-2011, 01:10 PM
the D&D episode was fantastic, right up there with the paintball episode for me, and i don't even like D&D. Pierce did an awesome job as the villian and the Abed/Annie exchange was brilliant

To Be Quite Honest
02-05-2011, 02:37 PM
I loved the D&D episode, even though I really have no idea what D&D is about.

The weak link in this otherwise great show is Chevy Chase though. He's a distraction rather than an asset.

Cowperson

I agree 100%. Chase does not move the story along at all. It could be part of the writing (just making him the creepy old guy that wants to sleep with everyone). An individual like his character is not likable in person, and definitely not likable stacked up to the rest of the characters on the show. The writer who is assigned to his Chase needs to re-evaluate his direction.

I highly recommend Bored to Death. It's a noire themed show and I think you'll like it a lot. That is, if you have not been blessed by viewing an episode yet. Ted Danson steals the show; which is quite the complement when his fellow actors are Jason Schwartzman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005403/), Zach Galifianakis (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0302108/).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1255913/

Uj3Tr35K6y8

G0LlKkoe9N8&NR

Kipper is King
02-05-2011, 04:53 PM
I never knew community existed until coworkers told me about it! I bought the first season on DVD, and now I'm getting friends hooked on it, too!

I shudder at the thought of the Shirley/Cheng kid, though! You'd think someone like Cheng would be sterile! :O

Gozer
02-05-2011, 05:03 PM
I understand where the Chevy criticism comes from, but I think he's a effective character and I don't think the show would work as well if he had a role as Fletch.

getbak
02-05-2011, 05:05 PM
I shudder at the thought of the Shirley/Cheng kid, though!
Speaking of which...I loved the cameo of Malcolm-Jamal Warner a couple of weeks ago as Shirley's ex, especially the sweater he was wearing that was gift from his father. I'm a sucker those types of throw-away meta-jokes.

flames_1987
02-05-2011, 05:47 PM
I agree 100%. Chase does not move the story along at all. It could be part of the writing (just making him the creepy old guy that wants to sleep with everyone). An individual like his character is not likable in person, and definitely not likable stacked up to the rest of the characters on the show. The writer who is assigned to his Chase needs to re-evaluate his direction.

I highly recommend Bored to Death. It's a noire themed show and I think you'll like it a lot. That is, if you have not been blessed by viewing an episode yet. Ted Danson steals the show; which is quite the complement when his fellow actors are Jason Schwartzman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005403/), Zach Galifianakis (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0302108/).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1255913/

Uj3Tr35K6y8

G0LlKkoe9N8&NR

Chevy's character may be tough to watch sometimes...but at least it isn't as bad as having to suffer through Galifianakis acting.

Joborule
02-05-2011, 07:53 PM
The D&D episode was brilliant. I don't even know about the game and enjoyed it nevertheless. Top 5 ep in this excellent series.

starseed
02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I loved this episode. This is probably one of my favourite episodes for Chevy.

To Be Quite Honest
02-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Chevy's character may be tough to watch sometimes...but at least it isn't as bad as having to suffer through Galifianakis acting.

Have you watched the show? Zach's character is written specifically for his style and delivery, and it's hilarious.

In Community each character is a stereotypical group you would see in college.

Alpha male - Winger
Complaining human rights complainer - Britta Filter
Innocent virgin queen - Annie
Movie nerd - Abid
Mother/religous - Shirley you can't be serious
Cool immature kid - Troy played by Donald Glover, Danny Glover's son. (Made you look)
Then you have old creepy guy - Pierce

The problem is that while each character is pretty much flawed in some way. (Writing a flawed character helps the viewer to relate even if it is just a bit). The problem with Pierce is he is so flawed you can't relate and you don't like him. They started the show with him being a wealthy man, but really this is virtually forgotten/dropped by the writing crew. They made him a complainer and a creep and completely forgettable.

This last D&D episode was probably his best showing this season. While still being a complaining creep they focused mainly on him being the antagonist. This atleast made his character more fun and gave him more meaning. Take this last episode away and the show is just fine with Pierce out of the picture.

However, take Ted Danson and Chevy Chase; compare the performance and it is clearly one sided. One comedian can still be funny and fresh in his 60's and the other is still stuck in the 1970's-80's.

If it wasn't for Chevy and his Vacation series he would be a faint memory only revisited at Christmas time.

Maritime Q-Scout
02-06-2011, 08:03 AM
I actually like Chevy in Community, I think the writing of his character was weak at the start (as I think was Troy's) but has become much better over time. I think the past few episodes Pierce has become a much better character, and you start to understand where his craziness comes from. He's gone from creepy old guy who says inappropriate things to understanding why he's the way he is.

As for the comment above about Chevy only being a faint memory revisited at Christmas time, I'm not a huge fan of his, but there's one other work he did that was simply amazing. Betty, if you have to ask me what that work was, no need to call me by my CP handle, you can call me Al.

Barnes
02-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Donald Glover is not related to Danny Glover.

fredr123
02-06-2011, 09:17 AM
I actually like Chevy in Community, I think the writing of his character was weak at the start (as I think was Troy's) but has become much better over time. I think the past few episodes Pierce has become a much better character, and you start to understand where his craziness comes from. He's gone from creepy old guy who says inappropriate things to understanding why he's the way he is.

As for the comment above about Chevy only being a faint memory revisited at Christmas time, I'm not a huge fan of his, but there's one other work he did that was simply amazing. Betty, if you have to ask me what that work was, no need to call me by my CP handle, you can call me Al.

Awesome!

To Be Quite Honest
02-06-2011, 12:43 PM

White text ;)

To Be Quite Honest
02-06-2011, 12:50 PM

Fletch and Caddyshack are the only other ones I can think of with actual merit (without cheating), but I think of Bill Murray more with Caddyshack and Caddyshack has a supporting cast that makes it a "strong" comedic movie. So that leaves Fletch.

corporatejay
02-06-2011, 01:29 PM

Hilariously, his old twitter handle was @donglover which he switched when he made it "big" with community.

To Be Quite Honest
02-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Hilariously, his old twitter handle was @donglover which he switched when he made it "big" with community.

So it is now @bigdonglover?

fatso
02-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Great Valentine's episode this past week. Loved the extended burn on 'BNL' at the beginning.

AfdTnpV03p8

Maritime Q-Scout
02-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Great Valentine's episode this past week. Loved the extended burn on 'BNL' at the beginning.

AfdTnpV03p8

I loved it, I also loved the undertone of the fact that the theme of the TV show on CBS in the same timeslot is written and sung by BNL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Vdo0J75r0

Saint Troy
03-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Thank you Netflix, I'm about halfway through the first season and have laughed a ton. The mexican Halloween episode was awesome.

troutman
03-03-2011, 04:32 PM
The D&D episode was brilliant. I don't even know about the game and enjoyed it nevertheless. Top 5 ep in this excellent series.

Sr. Chang in drow-face was outrageously funny.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQf3gkts-hAAnZzlBc-Vscr13of0I2Y4ZVGYwPNdZckO24s307y

Saint Troy
03-03-2011, 04:57 PM
The Human Beings mascot is one of the funniest things I've seen, disturbing and hilarious.

fatso
03-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Community, Parks and Rec, and the Office, all renewed for 2011-2012!!!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/17/parks-and-recreation-community-and-the-office-earn-pickups-for-fall/

QmFIqRwGGBg

Hemi-Cuda
03-17-2011, 08:34 PM
awesome news, i was a little worried about Community since the ratings haven't been as high as they should

getbak
03-18-2011, 10:51 AM
^^^ Someone needs to GIF up that little dance Brie does at the end for the PGTs.

RE: This week's episode...I liked the shirt that Abed gave to Britta for people who were part of the paintball game last year: "It's All Downhill from Here"

SuperMatt18
03-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Have been wanting to get into this show and am jacked now that it is on Netflix. Have watched the first couple episodes and it has been good so far.

Also for those that don't know Donald Glover has a rapping alter ego named Childish Gambino.

mEr8FOsDZtY

otPxoVQiIGo

3 Justin 3
03-18-2011, 11:15 AM
As a heads up, the finale is an hour long this season and will be another paintball episode. How ever it is going to be more epic.

Also, Donald Glover is a hilarious rapper. Freaks and Geeks is an awesome song.

Weird to hear him cuss so much though, haha, hilarious.

Just to note, Community gets some of the lowest ratings on tv. Like lower than Chuck. Hopefully that means Chuck gets picked up too.

d_phaneuf
03-18-2011, 11:56 AM
As a heads up, the finale is an hour long this season and will be another paintball episode. How ever it is going to be more epic.

Also, Donald Glover is a hilarious rapper. Freaks and Geeks is an awesome song.

Weird to hear him cuss so much though, haha, hilarious.

Just to note, Community gets some of the lowest ratings on tv. Like lower than Chuck. Hopefully that means Chuck gets picked up too.

community's 18-49 rating (all that really matters to advertisers) is pretty good though, higher than Chuck's, and considering it goes up against the Big Bang Theory which is the highest rated comedy in 18-49, it's a success

It has the worst time slot of any of the NBC comedies and still puts up decent numbers

Barnes
03-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Danny Pudi (http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/4sz1)

Machiavelli
03-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Hahaha, I love Freaks and Geeks!

3 Justin 3
03-20-2011, 12:28 PM
community's 18-49 rating (all that really matters to advertisers) is pretty good though, higher than Chuck's, and considering it goes up against the Big Bang Theory which is the highest rated comedy in 18-49, it's a success

It has the worst time slot of any of the NBC comedies and still puts up decent numbers

Really, when I was looking it showed them pulling in like 4-5 million people an episode and that's it. Not that Chuck's is any better.

Both shows are among the best on tv (in my opinion) but get some of the lowest ratings for viewers.

troutman
03-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Put down the chicken fingers and grab yourself a Royale with cheese because the study group is throwing a "Pulp Fiction" party for Abed's birthday! . . . tune in to NBC at 8/7c TONIGHT!

Barnes
03-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Umm... Wow.

Abed's monologue was so well written and acted. So serious, hilarious, sharp, cutting (at the expense of another CBS sitcom) and a poop payoff.

I consider myself a pretty intelligent person but I fear this show may be too smart for me.

octothorp
03-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Yeah, just brilliant. At first I was disappointed that they didn't do more with the Pulp Fiction theme, but as the episode went on it became clear they were doing something far more interesting than a PF parody.

Saint Troy
03-24-2011, 10:01 PM
That was brilliant tonight, especially if you check out "My dinner with Andre", they nailed the voice overs and tone.

Lionel Steel
03-24-2011, 10:38 PM
This season has been amazing so far. The whole cast has really come into their own.

It's approaching Arrested Development levels of hilarity.

getbak
03-24-2011, 11:54 PM
"Pulp Fiction? Yeah, I saw it on the airplane. It's cute. It's a 30 minute film about a group of friends who like cheeseburgers, dancing, and the bible."

3 Justin 3
03-25-2011, 11:44 AM
The end skit was hilarious. I love the show, but I find the end skit that Abed and Troy do are always the funniest part of the show.

Abed is hilarious because he is so calm when he says "I'm going to run".

d_phaneuf
03-25-2011, 12:03 PM
I thought the best part was the end as well

"what market do you shop at?!?!?!"

Cowperson
03-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Loved the subtle nature of the thing.

You kept waiting for Abed to bust out into his old self in those opening 10 minutes or so, leaning forward toward the TV, waiting, waiting, waiting with antici . . . . pation but he kept to his Dinner With Andre character brilliantly. And that too was all part of his act.

And Annie, Annie, Annie, dressing as Amanda Plummer but really channelling a youngish Elizabeth Taylor . . . . . . "sigh."

Can't wait for her in Mad Men again.

Cowperson

corporatejay
03-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Umm... Wow.

Abed's monologue was so well written and acted. So serious, hilarious, sharp, cutting (at the expense of another CBS sitcom) and a poop payoff.

I consider myself a pretty intelligent person but I fear this show may be too smart for me.

The showrunners from Cougar Town and Community are friends as far as I know and it's more a polite nod to each other.

IF you watch Cougar town or have read interviews with the creator, he has said several times that Cougar Town is probably the worst name for the show and he's embarassed by it.

flames_1987
03-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Community, Parks and Rec and the Office were all amazing last night.

fatso
03-25-2011, 09:34 PM
It is a crime against humanity that Jim Parsons has an Emmy and Danny Pudi does not.

A crime I say!

Barnes
03-25-2011, 11:15 PM
It is a crime against humanity that Jim Parsons has an Emmy and Danny Pudi does not.

A crime I say!

Donald Glover will be an EGOT.

I get the Scrubs connection between the 2 shows and I guess they were really only making fun of the name Cougar Town.

getbak
03-25-2011, 11:23 PM
"Cougar Town Boss Flattered Not Offended By Community Tribute: 'No One's Taking Digs at Us'" -- http://www.tvline.com/2011/03/cougar-town-boss-community-tribute/

3 Justin 3
04-23-2011, 03:37 AM
Well I got to say, this latest episode was effing fantastic. Best of the series, better than Modern Warfare.

I had to pause the Dean scene just to laugh for 2 minutes, then he came out with 5 more. Freaking amazing.

The Goon
04-23-2011, 06:25 AM
My wife noticed that the diorama (of them making a diorama) had a mini-Chang on the outside of the diorama looking in. So brilliant.

QuadCityImages
04-23-2011, 09:17 AM
My wife noticed that the diorama (of them making a diorama) had a mini-Chang on the outside of the diorama looking in. So brilliant.

I saw that as well, and was shocked that they didn't mention it. When Chang said he still didn't know if he was in the group or not, I thought he'd notice it then.

Barnes
04-23-2011, 01:14 PM
When I read the info about the episode on my PVR I was like:

Really? A flashback episode? How are they going to deal with this?

I loved the longing looks scenes between Abed and Pierce and The Cape references.

Definitely a top 4 IMO along with the blanket fort, modern warfare, and the chicken fingers episodes.

Cowperson
04-23-2011, 02:04 PM
They might be the first series to have a flashback episode consisting of scenes that were never in the series which, of course, is kinda brilliant.

Cowperson

Flaming Choy
04-23-2011, 02:52 PM
They might be the first series to have a flashback episode consisting of scenes that were never in the series which, of course, is kinda brilliant.

Cowperson

I got really confused when I didn't remember any of the flashback scenes. I was pretty sure I've seen all the episodes. Any episode with Annie's Boobs is a good one.

d_phaneuf
04-23-2011, 08:15 PM
the cape stuff was absolutely killing me

"six seasons and a movie!"

Freeway
04-24-2011, 12:49 AM

Cowperson

Clerks: The Animated Series did a clip show like this for their second episode.

Machiavelli
04-24-2011, 06:45 AM
For me, this show has been eclipsed by Parks and Recreation. I still enjoy Community, but I laugh out loud at Parks.

flames_1987
04-24-2011, 07:53 AM
For me, this show has been eclipsed by Parks and Recreation. I still enjoy Community, but I laugh out loud at Parks.

Both are great and the two best comedies on tv right now.

Flaming Choy
04-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Both are great and the two best comedies on tv right now.

Those 2 plus Modern Family are my top 3.

Gozer
04-24-2011, 12:59 PM
http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6305987/Looks-like-the-only-day-he-has-open-is-Marchtember-Oneteenth.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Advice-April-Ludgate

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6261714/No-i-didnt-win-but-at-least-i-didnt-make-any-new-friends.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Advice-April-Ludgate

flames_1987
04-24-2011, 01:26 PM
NBC Thursday's lineup is as good as it gets, and good news, it won't be ruined by the Paul Reiser show, which got cancelled after 2 episodes. The network's lowest-rated in-season comedy bow ever. Dear god that show sucked

SuperMatt18
05-05-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't know if I have ever had a bigger crush on a girl than I did tonight on Annie in the Paintball episode for season two.

She was just unbelievably hot in this episode, it wasn't even fair.

Joborule
05-05-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't know if I have ever had a bigger crush on a girl than I did tonight on Annie in the Paintball episode for season two.

She was just unbelievably hot in this episode, it wasn't even fair.

No kiddin. God damn.

getbak
05-05-2011, 09:16 PM
A tour de force performance from Alison Brie. We needed more slo-mo shots of her running down the hall.

AC
05-05-2011, 09:23 PM
A tour de force performance from Alison Brie. We needed more slo-mo shots of her running down the hall.
http://i.imgur.com/Kv33r.gif

LGA
05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
So...that was probably the best half hour of television I've enjoyed in the last year. Community + Paintball = Instant Classic.

Also, fully agreed on the astounding hotness of Alison Brie, I wanna marry that girl.

Hemi-Cuda
05-05-2011, 10:49 PM
i didn't think they'd be able to outdo the original paintball episode. i was wrong. i now rank Community right up with Arrested Development as one of the best network comedy shows ever created

the Sawyer cameo was gold

THE SCUD
05-05-2011, 10:51 PM
It was only one half hour tonight, right? concluding next week?

LGA
05-05-2011, 10:56 PM
It was only one half hour tonight, right? concluding next week?

Yep. It annoyed me since they just played a re-run episode of The Office right afterwards...make me wait a week to see the conclusion...angry mumbling!!!!

3 Justin 3
05-05-2011, 11:48 PM
As it is a two parter I think I'll hold out (can I? We will see) until next week and watch both back-to-back.

getbak
05-06-2011, 12:47 AM
It took me a while to realize that Troy was dressed like Cleavon Little in Blazing Saddles.

Barnes
05-06-2011, 07:52 AM
i didn't think they'd be able to outdo the original paintball episode. i was wrong. i now rank Community right up with Arrested Development as one of the best network comedy shows ever created

the Sawyer cameo was gold

Yes, Community is AD good.

It's like Scrubs on steroids.

Cowperson
05-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Both they and she have to know that the term "Annie's Boob's" have become a common reference around Community fandom on the internet . . . . . and they've been writing that into episodes for a while now.

And she seems totally game for it in the context of the role.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/alison-brie.jpg

Her very competent dramatic turn on Mad Men speaks to her range as an actress.

The original Paintball episode was such an unexpected tour de force that I'm not sure they could ever top it. I like it that this one has its own context and doesn't necessarily have to be graded against the first one. It's been fun so far and I look forward to the conclusion.

Cowperson

troutman
05-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Yes, Community is AD good.

It's like Scrubs on steroids.

Best comedy on network TV. I hear rumors next season will be the last for 30 Rock?

Machiavelli
05-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Best comedy on network TV. I hear rumors next season will be the last for 30 Rock?

...is Parks and Recreation

troutman
05-06-2011, 08:47 AM
...is Parks and Recreation

Unless it has improved 1,000,000 % from Season One, I really doubt that.

Machiavelli
05-06-2011, 08:50 AM

It may have, actually. I'll be the first to admit that the first season was pretty weak.

corporatejay
05-06-2011, 08:53 AM

Yeah, Season 1 was terrible, but Season 2 was one of the best seasons of network comedy. You should really give it another chance.

Machiavelli
05-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Season 1 was basically there to set up the series....I mean, it was all about The Pit, but the show has become so much more than that.

Flaming Choy
05-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Season 1 was basically there to set up the series....I mean, it was all about The Pit, but the show has become so much more than that.

Season 1 was really terrible, but it's improved a ton. It's like when the Office first started, I thought the first season (6episodes and the start of the 2nd were terrible but by the middle seasons it was awesome. Parks and Rec is like that too, slow start but it and Community are by far the best comedies on TV now (Modern Family is good too)

kermitology
05-06-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm very torn between Raising Hope, Modern Family, and Community.

Maritime Q-Scout
05-06-2011, 10:55 AM
So does anyone else think this is a plot by City College to destroy Greendale?

Cowperson
05-06-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm very torn between Raising Hope, Modern Family, and Community.

I DVR 'em all so I'm not torn.

I've been surprised by Happy Endings too . . . some pretty funny moments there, particularly the guy living in the ceiling moments. The new "Traffic Light" is a little uneven although I watched an LOL one last night.

Cowperson

kermitology
05-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I DVR 'em all so I'm not torn.

I've been surprised by Happy Endings too . . . some pretty funny moments there, particularly the guy living in the ceiling moments. The new "Traffic Light" is a little uneven although I watched an LOL one last night.

Cowperson

I do as well, but in terms of ranking.. anyways. Happy Endings is interesting, sometimes funny, sometimes trying too hard. I really like Traffic Light. I love the male characters, not sure on the rest though.

Cowperson
05-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I do as well, but in terms of ranking.. anyways. Happy Endings is interesting, sometimes funny, sometimes trying too hard. I really like Traffic Light. I love the male characters, not sure on the rest though.

The ladies on Trafffic Light were cracking me up last night with the masturbation and role playing plot lines . . . . and cell phone GPS tracking.

Cowperson

troutman
05-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Casey Wilson from Happy Endings (formerly SNL) was on the Comedy Death Ray podcast last week.

J Diddy
05-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I have a hard time getting through an episode of Happy Endings. Seems like a show that might have been funny 3 or 4 years ago.

Parks and Recreation is consistently good...not amazing...but you have to love the show just for Andy...he is hilarious. Last weeks episode where him and April were being taught how to be adults was entertaining. Also, Ron Swanson it starting to become an awesome TV character.

30 Rock was amazing and now is just going through he motions. I did like how they wrote Jack's wife out of the show though...that was pretty funny.

Modern Family season 1 was great but now they are stuck in the rut of having the happy ending BS. At least Gloria is always nice to look at.

Community started out strong and then wasn't doing it for me this season but the last few episodes have been gold...and this last paint ball one is easily the best episode in the entire series. Really looking forward to the next episode.

Barnes
05-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Casey Wilson from Happy Endings (formerly SNL) was on the Comedy Death Ray podcast last week.

And (host of Earwolf's Comedy Death Ray Radio) Scott Auckerman's wife has been in Traffic light.

And (Earwolf's Mike Detective) Rob Huebel plays Kev on Traffic Light.

And (host of Earwolf's How did this get made) Paul Scheer played Komono guy in Happy Endings.

And to bring it back to Community, Eliza Coupe in Happy Endings played the Secret Service agent who fell for Abed in Community.

Happy Endings and Traffic Light are both great new shows.

red sky
05-06-2011, 12:54 PM
This years modern family isn't great.

My favourite comedy right now is Raising Hope, I was surprised I liked it so much but the characters are awesome. Especially Maw Maw... hilarious.

getbak
05-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Another surprisingly good new comedy is Breaking In, starring Christian Slater and the kid from Reaper (another highly underrated recent show).

But, this is the Community thread, so...

uTrnB8F4rAk
http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/brie-clay.gif
http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/1289530979537.gif
http://i.imgur.com/epmGg.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbth38x6El1qc01jno1_r2_500.gif

troutman
05-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Did you ever wonder about the theme song? This is it:

4eNSkei_0Wc&feature=related

QuadCityImages
05-07-2011, 05:58 AM

I just watched the episode this morning. The second I saw that scene I knew I could count on CP to already have an animated gif of it.

Maritime Q-Scout
05-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I just realized upon rewatching the last episode the group's Western Titles, were the cards they voted with in regard to Pierce.

As well The Black Rider uses nicknames when referring to people, a nice touch and tip of the hat to another program which Community tends to do with their guest stars.

Kipper is King
05-07-2011, 02:43 PM
n7hR1wi2Vkk

Don't know if this Friends parody has been posted yet.

Hemi-Cuda
05-12-2011, 10:36 PM
somehow Annie covered in orange paint is even hotter than Annie not covered in orange paint

Lionel Steel
05-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Great episode to end the season, can't wait to see what they do next season.

Is Chevy Chase actually done with the show?

I think he has his moments, but wouldn't mind if they Changed things up with Ken Jeong as an official member of the group.

;)

Gozer
05-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Re: spoiler

I hope so, I don't see the alternative working at all.

3 Justin 3
05-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Just finished watching them back to back, held off part 1 so I could watch both together.

Wonder what happens next season. Would be awesome for Chang to join the group as he is hilarious, but part of that hilariousness is about him NOT being in the group. I hope Chevy doesn't leave, I don't see him doing anything else, I think his character is just written weakly.

Bigtime
05-26-2011, 06:30 PM
So my wife watches Cougar Town, and she tells me to watch the beginning of the episode from last nights season finale. Two of the characters are eating outside a subway and starbucks and guess who is in the background as an extra?

cWfJYJMrYa0

Wow, a callback to the episode "Critical Film Studies" when Abed described getting to be an extra on the set of Cougar Town.

Love it.

Cowperson
05-26-2011, 07:00 PM
So my wife watches Cougar Town, and she tells me to watch the beginning of the episode from last nights season finale. Two of the characters are eating outside a subway and starbucks and guess who is in the background as an extra?

cWfJYJMrYa0

Wow, a callback to the episode "Critical Film Studies" when Abed described getting to be an extra on the set of Cougar Town.

Love it.

Payback for those two Cougar Town actors being in the season finale Paintball episode.

Cowperson

Bigtime
05-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Perhaps, but this was much more than the "blink and you miss it" cameo from Community, it was a direct reference to Abed's talk to Jeff about getting to visit the set and be an extra, and then pass out and poop his pants.

malcolmk14
05-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Hahaha. Excellent. I'll never watch Cougar Town but I like the reference.

3 Justin 3
05-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I was re-watching one of the episodes yesterday of Community, and I totally missed it the first time, but while re-watching it I noticed Abed in the background of some of the scenes with the pregnant lady. By the end her and the dad are holding the baby.

I want to re-watch them all now to see if they have been doing this kind of stuff the whole time.

DownInFlames
05-26-2011, 11:10 PM
nm

Temporary_User
05-27-2011, 04:13 AM

cWfJYJMrYa0

Love it.Wow I'm surprised people watch that show. It looks horrible. I mean I love Subway at least 10x more than I love that show. I personally love the Cold Cut Trio on Italian bread. Try one today at a Subway near you.

fatso
07-14-2011, 06:44 PM
to help you get through the summer hiatus...

http://cdn03.cdn.thesuperficial.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/0714-alison-brie-lesbian-lingerie-00.jpg

Lionel Steel
07-14-2011, 07:06 PM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/042009/1239788892_jizz-in-my-pants.gif

getbak
07-14-2011, 08:06 PM
OMG! There's video: http://www.gq.com/video/videos/alison-brie-gillian-jacobs-community-gq-lesbian-video

Pizza
07-14-2011, 08:10 PM
to help you get through the summer hiatus...

http://cdn03.cdn.thesuperficial.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/0714-alison-brie-lesbian-lingerie-00.jpg

"Brie, in an essay she wrote about deflowering her gay friend: “My vagina would have been his road to salvation!” Which is to say, the girls are willing to embrace the funny in sex. “It’s just so deadly serious to each of us but hilarious to everyone else,” Jacobs says. “When you’re having sex with someone,” Brie adds, “it really is similar to putting yourself out there and saying, ‘I think this is funny and I hope you laugh.’ ”
“Fake it till you make it,” Jacobs says. “That’s what my drama teacher used to say.”
Brie: “I don’t think she was talking about sex.”
Jacobs, whose Britta has “slept with two-thirds of the male population” at the show’s school, is playing opposites, too: “The episode where I made out with my supposed lesbian friend was the first time I’d kissed a girl. I was terrified.”
Brie: “Aw, Gil! You should have let me know! We could have practiced!"

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/movies-and-tv/201108/alison-brie-gillian-jacobs-community-gq-lesbian-photo

fatso
07-15-2011, 05:44 PM
another one...

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_locjxwUMKR1qcn4azo1_r1_500.jpg

troutman
08-09-2011, 08:55 AM
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/08/community_chang_outtakes_ken_j.html

There are plenty of crazy characters on Community, but none is as genuinely certifiable as Ken Jeong's Benjamin Chang. He began season one as a madcap, authoritarian Spanish professor, but by season two had devolved into an occasionally Gollum-like creature, a man who boasted of eating his twin in utero (no, really) and was also a lonely outsider longing to be let into the study-group clique. So what does Community creator Dan Harmon have in store for Chang come season three? We caught up with Harmon last week for the scoop, which you can find below — along with an exclusive Vulture preview of a new NBC.com video montage compiling some of Chang's most memorable moments.

Harmon tells us that after drifting around a bit last season without a clear mission, "This season I hope to tell a more structured story about Chang." Specifically, Jeong's character will be a security guard when classes resume September 22. "We have a story line that will detail his rise to power," he says. "I wanted to tell a story of acquiring power and what it does to you. It's a little Macbeth or Scarface. Or maybe something from The Wire." Will Chang be a corrupt fake cop? "He's corrupt in the sense that the campus is less secure than if he wasn't a security guard. But he's mostly insane," Harmon explains.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/the_wire_star_michael_k_willia.html

Michael K. Williams, best known as Omar from The Wire, is joining the cast of the NBC series for at least three episodes this fall. He'll be playing the Greendale gang's new biology professor

Yasa
08-09-2011, 09:01 AM
I was recommended this show a month ago. As soon as I watched the first episode, it was all down hill from there. I couldn't stop watching one after another. There is not a bad episode in my eyes (even the Christmas stop-motion animation one.) I can't name a better comedy on the air now. Miles above Parks and Rec in my opinion.

z8KHStHTri8

3 Justin 3
08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
I was recommended this show a month ago. As soon as I watched the first episode, it was all down hill from there. I couldn't stop watching one after another. There is not a bad episode in my eyes (even the Christmas stop-motion animation one.) I can't name a better comedy on the air now. Miles above Parks and Rec in my opinion.

z8KHStHTri8

I like Parks and Rec better, I only started watching that show 2 weeks ago and I've already watched all 3 seasons 3 times! How ever, I think these are the 2 funniest shows on tv right now. Which is a shame because they are 2 of the lowest rated shows for viewership.

I watch The Big Bang Theory but I don't really think it is that great, I more or less watch it just for Kaley Cuoco, but that shows ratings keep growing and the episodes are getting worse and worse.

On the other hand, Community and Parks and Rec are getting better with each season and their ratings are decreasing. It's pathetic really, and I know that Parks and Rec and Community only have 1 or 2 more seasons before they are inevitably cancelled because of low ratings.

Yasa
08-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't understand how this show can get low ratings. I can see it for Parks and Rec only because the formatting is similar to The Office, so people are probably put off by that. The humor is much better though.

Community, I find, has me laughing more frequently. Troy, Abed and Pierce steal the show for sure. Plus...Annie.

Agamemnon
08-09-2011, 10:20 PM
I don't understand how this show can get low ratings. I can see it for Parks and Rec only because the formatting is similar to The Office, so people are probably put off by that. The humor is much better though.

Community, I find, has me laughing more frequently. Troy, Abed and Pierce steal the show for sure. Plus...Annie.
It might be comedy that's too smart or ahead of its time, like Arrested Development...

Troy and Abed in the Morning!

3 Justin 3
08-10-2011, 01:18 AM

I know. I think it is too clever for people and because it doesn't have a stupid laugh track people don't know what's funny and what's not.

Parks and Rec is the same format as The Office but is way funnier, the inside jokes are hilarious just like with Arrested Development. I think Parks and Rec is the best written show right now with Community being number 2.

I think sometimes Community tries to be too clever, especially season 2 compared to season 1.

But it's a shame that these 2 shows will probably be cancelled in a year or two. For Parks and Rec to succeed they need to kill The Office and I think the ratings will be way better and considering The Office really isn't that great anymore and with Carrell gone, it might be the last season.

troutman
08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
5 Things We Already Know About Community Season Three
http://www.buzzsugar.com/Community-Season-3-Pictures-Plot-Details-18919147

Greendale has some new faces.
Chang is going to be in a position of authority.
Pierce isn't going anywhere.
Troy and Jeff are going to butt heads.
Troy and Abed's bromance is going to get intense.

indierockorgy
08-31-2011, 02:52 PM
great show

Russic
09-01-2011, 08:23 AM

cWfJYJMrYa0

Love it.

I'm out of thanks and wanted to mention that this both blew my mind and made my morning.