PDA

View Full Version : Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Pages : 1 [2]

Resolute 14
12-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Speaking of 5G, when is the MacLeod Trail restaurant opening?

DownInFlames
12-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Speaking of 5G, when is the MacLeod Trail restaurant opening?

It opened last week.

Resolute 14
12-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Huh. Didn't seem like it when we were there last week. Odd.

taco.vidal
12-07-2011, 06:52 PM
It opened last Wednesday.

Hemi-Cuda
12-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Huh. Didn't seem like it when we were there last week. Odd.

that's the one i went to, so i can confirm that they are open

Yasa
12-07-2011, 09:31 PM
That's the one by my house. Stop by for a visit, I won't let you in but you can sit on my sidewalk.

MRCboicgy
12-17-2011, 10:41 AM
The year in burgers http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/15/the-year-in-burgers_n_1147045.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#s537566&title=Smashburger_A_Smash

Re: Five Guys - I think this really defines why I like it. I think there are better burgers, but since it opened, nothing scratches the itch like having Five Guys

In Zagat's annual fast food survey, Five Guys topped the list (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/zagat-fast-food-survey_n_950167.html) for favorite fast food for large chains and for best burger. In another poll, this time by MarketForce, Five Guys was deemed the favorite fast food chain (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/31/favorite-fast-food-chains_n_943564.html). So what is it about this burger that makes everyone go crazy for it? Well, for one, it's made to order. It's a nice classic burger, made well. And sometimes, that's exactly what you want.

TurnedTheCorner
12-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Man, this was posted over two years ago and I still haven't made the trip to one. I should get on that.

MrMastodonFarm
12-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Man, this was posted over two years ago and I still haven't made the trip to one. I should get on that.

According to their website, and I've been burned here in the past, their is a location opening up at 2524 36 Street NE.

Why must you spurn the NW five guys, why?

OutOfTheCube
12-17-2011, 11:37 AM
I work in the EB Games in Deerfoot Meadows mall and you can literally smell the reek of Five Guys when people come in that have just eaten there.

I dunno, there's something not right when you spend 20, maybe 30 minutes in a restaurant and leave with the place's smell just wafting off of you. Turned me off of it.

MrMastodonFarm
12-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I work in the EB Games in Deerfoot Meadows mall and you can literally smell the reek of Five Guys when people come in that have just eaten there.

I dunno, there's something not right when you spend 20, maybe 30 minutes in a restaurant and leave with the place's smell just wafting off of you. Turned me off of it.

EB Games tend to have a special smell that's all their own.

CrusaderPi
12-17-2011, 12:09 PM
I worked at A&W back in the day (love them $229 pay cheques - woooo) and the smell stuck to me and my clothes until a week after they fired me. Just walking into one now brings up a deep seated memory of poverty and a crazy girlfriend.

Reaper
12-17-2011, 12:21 PM
...but since it opened, nothing scratches the itch like having Five GuysOut of context this sounds friggin' hilarious.

getbak
12-17-2011, 01:30 PM
The year in burgers http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/15/the-year-in-burgers_n_1147045.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#s537566&title=Smashburger_A_Smash
With regards to the first chain on the list: A couple of weeks ago, Smashburger announced that they will be entering the Canadian market in 2012. Its first two Canadian locations will be in Calgary: http://www.smashburger.com/blog/2011/11/smashburger-smashes-over-the-border-into-canada/

The first Calgary Smashburger restaurants will be company-operated and located at Centre 32, 2770 32 Ave NE and at 8888 Country Hills Blvd. N.W. in Calgary.

The 32nd Ave location will be in the little strip mall where Chuck E Cheese used to be, just east of the McDonald's and Wendy's by the Sheraton. The other one will be in Royal Oak.

TurnedTheCorner
12-17-2011, 01:34 PM
I wonder where they're going to squeeze that into in Royal Oak. The address is the Sobey's/Walmart shopping area - the vacant spots there lately have been taken up by BMO and Scotiabank.

Resolute 14
12-18-2011, 09:22 AM
With regards to the first chain on the list: A couple of weeks ago, Smashburger announced that they will be entering the Canadian market in 2012. Its first two Canadian locations will be in Calgary: http://www.smashburger.com/blog/2011/11/smashburger-smashes-over-the-border-into-canada/

The 32nd Ave location will be in the little strip mall where Chuck E Cheese used to be, just east of the McDonald's and Wendy's by the Sheraton. The other one will be in Royal Oak.

They expect to open 10-15 locations in Calgary and Edmonton (and presumably the burbs). That's good, cause I don't want to drive that far north to try it out. Also says something about the state of the Alberta and Ontario economies, given these places used to go to Toronto for their Canadian market introductions, not Calgary/Edmonton.

Gundo
12-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Smashburgar stinks don't we have enough over priced and over greased Burgar joints in this city already?!!?

CMPunk
12-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Smashburgar stinks don't we have enough over priced and over greased Burgar joints in this city already?!!?

Nope, can't wait to try em:D

Lt.Spears
05-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Bumping an old thread, tried five guys last night, found it was good but a little pricey, on par with some restaurant burgers I've had. Wouldn't say it's amazing but they are good.

llama64
05-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Bumping an old thread, tried five guys last night, found it was good but a little pricey, on par with some restaurant burgers I've had. Wouldn't say it's amazing but they are good.

Which Five Guys did you try?

I've been to the Deerfoot meadows one and the one off Macleod (near the new Futureshop). Huge difference in quality - Deerfood Meadows serves me one of the best burgers I have ever eaten (priced under 10$). One off Macleod has been terrible both times I went.

Also got to try Smashburger on Tuesday - big ol'meh. Meat was overly salty and they put olive oil on their fries, AFTER they have been fried. Oil on oily fries... smart.

4thLiner
05-05-2012, 01:20 PM
I loved the one on McLeod so gotta try the other one now!
So much better than Fat Burger, they taste weird. Can't quite put my finger on what it is...a spice or something...

Table 5
05-05-2012, 01:59 PM
I've only tried the Deerfoot Meadows location myself and it's been consistently delicious (though I've had them screw up my toppings a couple of times). Still the second best burger I've had in Calgary.

albertGQ
05-05-2012, 02:59 PM
I've only tried the Airdrie location (twice) and enjoyed it both times. Looking forward to trying Smash Burger after the crowd dies down a bit

Super-Rye
05-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Tried SmashBurger last night.

Had a Big Calgary Burger and a Traditional Poutine with a Chocolate shake. Cost about $35 for the girlfriend and I to eat there.

Food was pretty good. Nothing amazing but definitely worth the trek down there. The patty was nicely seasoned I thought. The fries they used in the poutine were tossed in garlic and olive oil. The gravy was pretty good and they used actual cheese curds. I'll probably wait for one to open up down south before I go back.

saskflames69
05-05-2012, 08:35 PM
This "SmashBurger" sounds greeeeeasy. I'll stick to Fuddruckers, thank you.

Northendzone
05-05-2012, 08:39 PM
That is great if there is a funds near you, but here in Calgary the nearest one is a few hours away