PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard Help.

Pagal4321
08-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Alright, in my never ending search for a working computer system, I have decided to get a new motherboard. Just wondering if anyone who understands half of this mumbo jumbo could tell me if the following mobo is a good one or not.

Asus A7N8X-VM/400-UAY w/ DualDDR, Video, Audio, Lan, AGP8X

Product Information
CPU Support:

CPU: Socket A for AMD Athlon XP
Thoroughbred/ Barton Core Support
FSB: 400/333/266 MHz

Chipset:

NVIDIA nForce2 IGP
NVIDIA nForce2 MCP

Memory:

- Dual Channel Memory Architecture
- Supports up to 2GB of 2700/PC2100 DDR memory
- 2 DIMM sockets

Onboard IDE:

2 x UltraDMA 133/100

Onboard Video:

- Integrated GeForce4 MX GPU
- Integrated TV encoder
- NVIDA nVIEW dual-display architecture
- Support DVI (AGP-NV-DVI) and TV out (AV/S) cards

Onboard Audio:

- Realtek ALC650 6-channel CODEC
- S/PDIF in / out interface

Lan:

- Integrated 10/100 Mbps LAN controller + Realtek PHY

Onboard Peripherals:

1 x Parallel
1 x Serial
1 x PS/2 Keyboard
1 x PS/2 Mouse
1 x VGA
1 x Audio I/O
1 x RJ45
6 x USB 2.0/1.1 (4 rear)

Expansion Slots:

1 x AGP8X (1.5V only)
3 x PCI

Form Factor:

microATX Form Factor, 9.6"x 9.6"(24.5cm x 24.5cm)

Usage of this computer will mostly be watching movies, surfing the net and playing MAdden 2005. So also wondering if the on-board video card is good enough for gaming.

Thank you in advance.....

Wolfwood
08-11-2004, 10:14 AM
I'd say it looks okay. I don't think that the onboard video card is good enough for playing any new games. Although I can't really say since I don't see the specs there anywhere. If you are going to be playing games, etc... I'd suggest probably looking for a better motherboard or consider getting a video card seperate.

You'd probably want to try looking for some reviews of the motherboard and see what problems other people have had with it. Try places like anandtech.com as well as look at the site newegg.com (they probably sell it so I'm assuming a number of people would have given reviews of it).

Just my two cents.

I-Hate-Hulse
08-11-2004, 10:27 AM
I've built several systems (including my own) with A7N8X's. I think it's a great mobo myself. However, you want to be very careful with the RAM you put in as it's very sensitive with the DDR you put in. I had to try like 3 pairs before I found something that would run memtest86 and over clock.

Forget about onboard video if you want to game. A GFMX is going to fall flat in most 3D type games. Save the money there and get the non onboard mobo and put towards a real vid card.