PDA

View Full Version : The next NBA CBA

Cowperson
04-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Interesting look in the New York Times regarding talks surrounding the NBA CBA . . . . . and the positioning of union and management.

The CBA expires in two years.

After the NHL's negotiations in 2004-05 and the decision to cancel an entire season, sport unions aren't likely to assume management eventually caves . . . . which has historically been the best bet.

As with the NHL, if ownership is truly motivated and genuine - which isn't usually the case in these things - then management tends to get what they want.

Are NBA owners distressed enough to cancel a season? And would players push them that far to find out? Or does it need to go that far given the precedent established in the NHL?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/sports/basketball/23hunter.html?hpw

Cowperson

Gozer
04-23-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't see how its a profitable league, most the arenas are empty every game.

fredr123
04-23-2009, 01:48 PM
I found it odd how there was no reference to the NHL or their recent labour experiences in the article at all. I would have guessed that any discussion about CBA negotiations involving professional sports would at least mention the unprecedented (?) cancellation of an entire playing season.

This will be an interesting story to follow over the next couple years.

mykalberta
04-23-2009, 02:45 PM
From alot of talk there is almost a guarantee that there will be a work stoppage and a high likelyhood that 2 franchises will shut down.

troutman
04-23-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't see how its a profitable league, most the arenas are empty every game.

Big tv contracts, small rosters, no minor league team to support.

You Need a Thneed
04-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Big tv contracts, small rosters, no minor league team to supoort.
The overall team salaries are higher than the NHL, but for most teams, the cap is eaten up by only a few players. Most teams have at least half their players making under a million.

One might think that they would structure their new CBA so that injured guys making high salaries aren't the most valuable commodities come trade deadline day. Also, I'm sure the players would like to spread the wealth somewhat, so it isn't just the top players making all the money.

Aces High
04-23-2009, 05:52 PM
The NBA is in much better financial shape than the NHL is! Why else would they continue expansion last season with the new Oklahoma City Thunder franchise?

You Need a Thneed
04-23-2009, 06:47 PM
The NBA is in much better financial shape than the NHL is! Why else would they continue expansion last season with the new Oklahoma City Thunder franchise?

OKC wasn't an expansion. The Seattle Supersonics were stolen from Seattle and moved to OKC.

Aces High
04-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Stolen? Fair enough. The NHL likely won't have a franchise in Phoenix this time next year. The NBA is not in danger of losing any teams, to my knowledge.

You Need a Thneed
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Stolen? Fair enough. The NHL likely won't have a franchise in Phoenix this time next year. The NBA is not in danger of losing any teams, to my knowledge.
Recommended reading: (take parts of it with a grain of salt)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090227

mykalberta
04-28-2009, 09:23 AM

From what I have heard, Sacramento, Memphis, Charlotte, are all in serious trouble.

I dont know the finances of either league, but you would think on average with the escrow that the NHL has, it should be able to weather the storm better than the NBA as a whole. TV money is always what has kept the NBA afloat where the NHL has nothing. I do think there is a larger discrepancy between rich and poor in the NHL compared to the NBA though.

I have heard that this offseason will be the worst of any with everyone waiting for 2010 and then the end of the CBA. Escrow is the major issue from what I have heard.