PDA

View Full Version : Getting over the weight loss hump.

Krackt420
08-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Since everyone on here seems to be fairly active when they aren't sitting in front of a computer screen, perhaps someone has some advice.

I've been working out regularly for the past 7 months, in addition to totally cleaning up my eating habits. It's been great so far. I've lost over 30 lbs, quit smoking, got back into running, mountain biking and Irish dance...all things I'd given up for a life of smoky pubs and Mcdonald's drive through. I blame college and good old fashioned lazyness.

Anyway, I'm in the best shape my life. In fact, I was getting dressed this morning and marvelled for the first time ever at what is unmistakably the beginnings of a real live VISIBLE abdominal muscle. GASP!

After that long-winded explanation, I'll get to the point. I'm down to about the last 10 lbs. Being a girl it's just that little extra junk in the trunk that seems it would rather cling to my ass until the second coming of Jesus than do me a favour and p*ss off. I've increased the length of my runs a bit, switched up my weight training routine and the scale hasn't moved an inch in over 2 months.

I know that everyone eventually hits a plateua...but has anyone ever had a similar experience? Is plateauing for this long unusual? Or am I doing something wrong?

the_only_turek_fan
08-10-2004, 03:42 PM
I have dropped from 210 to 155ish since the spring of 2001.

The hardest ones to lose are the last 10, I have been trying to get those off for about a year now with no luck.

If you are already running, and doing cardio, then you have to do some other stuff.
Try Pilates, I have heard that works

For me, I just do some sit-ups and push-ups, and that helps me, but I am not sure about you, you could try that.

But I would say Pilates could be a way to go!

Cowperson
08-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Krackt420@Aug 10 2004, 09:37 PM
Since everyone on here seems to be fairly active when they aren't sitting in front of a computer screen, perhaps someone has some advice.

I've been working out regularly for the past 7 months, in addition to totally cleaning up my eating habits. It's been great so far. I've lost over 30 lbs, quit smoking, got back into running, mountain biking and Irish dance...all things I'd given up for a life of smoky pubs and Mcdonald's drive through. I blame college and good old fashioned lazyness.

Anyway, I'm in the best shape my life. In fact, I was getting dressed this morning and marvelled for the first time ever at what is unmistakably the beginnings of a real live VISIBLE abdominal muscle. GASP!

After that long-winded explanation, I'll get to the point. I'm down to about the last 10 lbs. Being a girl it's just that little extra junk in the trunk that seems it would rather cling to my ass until the second coming of Jesus than do me a favour and p*ss off. I've increased the length of my runs a bit, switched up my weight training routine and the scale hasn't moved an inch in over 2 months.

I know that everyone eventually hits a plateua...but has anyone ever had a similar experience? Is plateauing for this long unusual? Or am I doing something wrong?
Well, I run quite a bit but biking really works on the butt . . . . mine at least.

Not that I'm watching, keeping track, er . . . ew. ;)

Cowperson

CaptainCrunch
08-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Liposuction, gods answer to that last 10 pounds.

Seriously though sometimes it pays to find ways to work other muscle groups.

I've found that most of the time people that work on cardio and weight lifting work on a slow methodical work out and never work on the smaller connecting muscles, and the speed based darker muscles. Going from running or jogging to spending a couple of days a week working on resisted wind sprints. Or going from heavy weight few rep slow workout to faster lighter weight workouts can help you with your last minute body adjustments.

the hardest weight to lose is the last 10 pounds. but if you've been working pretty hard, remember that your muscle density is much higher than your fat density so you've lost fat but gained muscle.

A change up in your type of routine might help, and it will keep things interesting.

Tron_fdc
08-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Well, in my professional opinion, I cannot give you my opinion without photos.
(kidding). Are you sure you're not just being obsessive about it? I've known lots of girls that were fit enough to run a marathon, but still couldn't wear a bikini (apparently all bikinis have some mysterious mirror/illusionist property that makes their asses look fat).

If not, I've known a few recovering resbutts, all with similar problems. The best way I've seen is to go on the South Beach diet, and spot train. Avoid alcohol (causes bloating) and stay away from saturated fats and salt. The most important thing was beer. Beer=Devil if you're trying to shed pounds.

High reps, low weight, and lots of cardio should do the trick. I've found that intensity of workout helps as well (sprint training) but it sucks and makes you want to vomit. It burns LOADS of calories though, especially after a good warm up. Vary the workout too, try different exercises for the same muscle groups and you should see results.

calf
08-10-2004, 04:04 PM
plett22 mentions doing South Beach (which I believe works and is a bithealthier than other fad diets), but trying something like weight watchers or atkins can work for losing those 10 nasty buggers. Just don't do it long term, and don't be too surprised if they come back when you stop.

All the excersise stuff being mentioned works too, I believe

Krackt420
08-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Heheh...liposuction eh....the thought never crossed my mind..honestly. No, but for real, if I had the money I'd totally donate my butt to medical science.

And if any of these suggestions don't work I suppose I could resign myself to a little extra cushion. I suppose I might be being borderline obsessive about it.

My bf seems particularily adverse to my losing it.....although I'm not quite sure what purpose it serves him.

Bah....I hate that beer isn't healthy for you...I'd rather give up chocolate.

Tron_fdc
08-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Your b/f likes it because ghettobooty RULES.

There was a girl in Maxim last year that was Greek, had a super hard body, and had the largest, roundest booty ever. Holy moly, she was sweet.

This would be why J-Lo got implants (allegedly, of course). Dudes like the ghettobooty.

kermitology
08-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Krackt420@Aug 10 2004, 04:06 PM
My bf seems particularily adverse to my losing it.....although I'm not quite sure what purpose it serves him.
I like big butts and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny, when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist and a round thing in your face you get.. SPRUNG!

A grabable ass is a wonderful thing..

Bring_Back_Shantz
08-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Couple things you can try.

Change up the cardio part of your workout. It's similar to weight training. You should switch up your program every 6-8 weeks to shock the muscles, and it can work for cardio as well. Make sure to keep your heart rate in your target range. So if the majority of what you've been doing is running, start to ride a bike. or better yet, if your butt is the problem area start roler blading. Working the speicic part with the extra fat won't burn the fat off any faster, but at least you'll be toning up the muscle underneath, so overall it should look better.

Try interval training. You can find a program on the internet easily enough, but it basically involves jogging with intervals of sprinting. It basically teaches your body to sustain at a higher level, and really increases you fitness and can help the metabolism as well.

I think captn mentioned it. It could be that you are losing fat but gaining muscle, hence no wieght change. Feel your but, is it getting firmer? If so send me some pictures.....;).

Otherwise, don't worry, some people store fat in different places, men in the waist and stomach women in the thinghs and butt. Unless you go on a rediculous diet and training program to get your body fat down really low, it is possible that you will always have a little extra ghetto booty, but if your BF doesn't have a problem with it really isn't an issue. If he did have a problem with it there would be an issue, but it the issue wouln't be your butt.

peter12
08-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Haha the perverts come out.

Seriously keep biking. That and hiking is all the exercise I get now. In fact I almost have a Will-Ferrilish body, but my ass is not fat. So keep with the mountain biking and try some vertical climbs.

peter12
08-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Haha the perverts come out.

Seriously keep biking. That and hiking is all the exercise I get now. In fact I almost have a Will-Ferrilish body, but my ass is not fat. So keep with the mountain biking and try some vertical climbs.

Pagal4321
08-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Well I've gone from 195 to 170 in about a year now. And those last 10 are impossible for me, still trying with them.
If it's the junk in the trunk your worried about, try doing some glut exercised (don't ask why I know these, they are just ina book i have) and also try doing low weight high reps when doing those exercises.
So just let me know and I can dig out that book for you.

Mike__
08-10-2004, 08:46 PM
Like someone said above, you should change your routines frequently, never let your body get used to your excercise. Also doing alot of glute excercises will not get rid of the fat. I'm sure in time you will be able to lose the last few pounds.

I-Hate-Hulse
08-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Get a personal trainer. When all else fails, consult the experts.

SpecialK12
08-11-2004, 07:02 AM
From a personal trainers point of you (and I am only one...we all have our own opinion) I would try interval training if you do not do this already. Instead of the same intensity for every workout try doing intervals 1 or 2 times a week and your regular runs the other days. Start off small (ie:sprinting for 45 seconds, then recover with a slow jog for about 2 min, or whatever combo you find works for you). If you go to the gym at all check out the spinning classes to. You'll sweat more than you ever thought you could.

As for diets, I'm definately not a supporter of ANY of them, especially Atkins. If you are active there is no way you should be on Atkins, you are going to do more harm than good to your body. However, if you are going to do one, South Beach is probably the best and safest "low carb" diet out there, however again being active the first phase of the diet isn't great either, the second phase and beyond however can give you some good guidelines on how to balance your carbs, protein and fat.

Lastly, if your bf really is adverse to you losing that last bit, maybe you should re-consider his opinion. Speaking from experience (and being female also) it can get obsessive and you can get to the point where there's always that last little bit to lose and you'll never be happy.

I-Hate-Hulse
08-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Try losing 750+ pounds like this guy.

The Half Ton Man (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/08/11/halfton.man.ap/index.html)

That photo is downright scary....

A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel to be driven to a local livestock scale, where he could be weighed.

League of Human Dignity? Aren't they superheroes?

calf
08-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by I-Hate-Hulse@Aug 11 2004, 09:04 AM

A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel to be driven to a local livestock scale, where he could be weighed.

What's dignifying about being weighed on a livestock scale?

the_only_turek_fan
08-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by I-Hate-Hulse@Aug 11 2004, 03:04 PM
Try losing 750+ pounds like this guy.

The Half Ton Man (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/08/11/halfton.man.ap/index.html)

Patrick Deuel, 42, of Valentine, Nebraska, weighed 1,072 pounds when he was admitted to Sioux Falls' Avera McKennan Hospital eight weeks ago. Deuel, who is just under 6 feet tall, is on a 1,200 calorie-a-day diet.

More than a thousand pounds. Yikes

How many burgers does it take to get that fat?

According to the Guinness World Records Web site, the record for heaviest man in the world is 1,397 pounds, held by Jon Brower Minnoch of Bainbridge, Washington, who died in 1983.

Not exactly a record to be proud of.

Krackt420
08-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. :D

I've heard alot of great things about interval training...I think I was just waiting for this point in my weight-loss to finally shake things up and give it a try.

South Beach sounded like a good idea...although I am a little leery about doing the first phase and continuing to run for an hour 3X a week. Somehow I just don't see that being a good idea

At any rate, I'll get my ass (tee hee) back in gear when I get back from Mexico.

2 more sleeps! and then I'm off to ruin all my progress with tequila and gaucamole! ole!

I-Hate-Hulse
08-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Krackt420@Aug 10 2004, 03:37 PM

Sounds like we have a new Fire and Ice Girl - Someone call Frank Sisson now! ;)

Ahh, but can you shovel, krackt?