PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rome on 960...ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS!

AverageJoe
03-04-2009, 10:29 AM
It's REALLY pissing me off today!!
I've gotta turn off the radio when his drivel is on.

They could DEFINITELY have something better on right now as opposed to his garbage!!

Specially TODAY!!

Sorry guys, just had to rant!!

habernac
03-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Add me to the list of people who have no time for Rome. He's an idiot.

thewhirlingdervish
03-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Jim Rome on his worst day is better than any personality on 960 on the best day of their life.

CMPunk
03-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Some people besides you enjoy Jim Rome. Not to mention not everyone in the city is a hockey fan, or specifically a hardcore hockey fan that needs second by second updates. There's nothing going on and the Fan can have from 1pm to whenever to discuss the Leopold deal and whatever else happens

Russic
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Does the fan have the freedom to just not play Rome? I imagine they have some sort of agreement in place. Could be wrong of course.

CrusaderPi
03-04-2009, 11:42 AM
The Team 1260 in Edmonton is not playing Rome today. They're having a trade deadline show.

FlamesKickAss
03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
if you dont like it turn the dial!

what you want bob mccown?

GirlySports
03-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I rather listen to Rome than any of the 'experts" on the FAN960 talk about the trade deadline and all of it's 6 trades. It's an escape for people who don't like watching talking heads on tv.

4X4
03-04-2009, 12:03 PM

Don't you mean "turn off your station"?

GirlySports
03-04-2009, 12:04 PM

I like the guests on McCowan and the way he interviews but I can't stand anything he says. He and I have totally opposite views on sports in general. I picked up his book last year and it was crap.

troutman
03-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Jim Rome was cut short as soon as the Flames trades went down.

FlamesKickAss
03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Don't you mean "turn off your station"?

no i meant dial. is turn off your station a rome thing?

4X4
03-04-2009, 12:25 PM
no i meant dial. is turn off your station a rome thing?

Yah! Mike Tyson: "I'm talking to you the way I wanna talk to you. If you don't like it, turn off your station!".

FlamesKickAss
03-04-2009, 12:27 PM
ah i c. I dont get to listen very much because I am stuck in office

pope04
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
I was certain that the Fan advertised a deadline show today and there'd be no Rome on. I flicked on the radio shortly after 10 and heard Jim, so I shut 'er down. I was blissfully unaware of the big doin's here until I tried CP and the server was busy.

Sir Leafsland Flamesfan
03-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Some people besides you enjoy Jim Rome. Not to mention not everyone in the city is a hockey fan, or specifically a hardcore hockey fan that needs second by second updates. There's nothing going on and the Fan can have from 1pm to whenever to discuss the Leopold deal and whatever else happens

----

Still, I can empathize. Driving between Kingston and Toronto today, I was desperately trying to get any channel on the trades. The Ottawa stations ONLY discussed the Sens trade. Literally nothing else. Finally, I located CBC's leading sports show, "The Inside Track." The topic of the show? Luge.

Sir Leafsland Flamesfan
03-04-2009, 06:57 PM
----

Still, I can empathize. Driving between Kingston and Toronto today, I was desperately trying to get any channel on the trades. The Ottawa stations ONLY discussed the Sens trade. Literally nothing else. Finally, I located CBC's leading sports show, "The Inside Track." The topic of the show? Luge.

By the way, I was returning from the Sens/Flames game. Iginla was genius.

agubuan
03-04-2009, 08:12 PM

They could DEFINITELY have something better on right now as opposed to his garbage!!

Specially TODAY!!

rack 'em. Have a take don't suck.

Smell My Finger
03-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Rome cracks me up sometimes. But if he has NASCAR or golf guests its a snore fest. :zzz: JMO.

Azure
03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Face it guys, you can't talk hockey ALL day long, unless it is trade deadline, and Jim Rome is the most popular radio personality in North America.

I hate it when he talks about Nascar, golf or anything 'college'....too, so I just listen to something else.

Sainters7
03-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Relax and have a Bombay Sapphire. It comes highly recommended.

Texas Blueliner
03-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Rome cracks me up sometimes. But if he has NASCAR or golf guests its a snore fest. :zzz: JMO.

I guess you've never heard the classic Steve Elkington interviews, nor the ones with Boo Weekley.

hmmhmmcamo
03-04-2009, 10:45 PM
or golf guests

I agree for the most part, although his interviews with Steve Elkington are always entertaining.

^obv I'm am slow at typing

Smell My Finger
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I guess you've never heard the classic Steve Elkington interviews, nor the ones with Boo Weekley.

4sure those 2 are an exception Elks drinking stories are awsome and Boo talking about punching a Orangutang ###### it "monkey" i just about drove off the road.

The Yen Man
03-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Lol, no one likes his takes on bums? Politically correct? Probably not. Hilarious? Abso-frickin-lutely!

Flames Addict
03-04-2009, 10:51 PM
That is brutal. Not a big Jim Rome fan ever but I cant imagine on trade deadline day.

rubecube
03-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Lol, no one likes his takes on bums? Politically correct? Probably not. Hilarious? Abso-frickin-lutely!

War bums stealing bread from ducks.

Jets4Life
03-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Face it guys, you can't talk hockey ALL day long, unless it is trade deadline, and Jim Rome is the most popular radio personality in North America.

I've heard Jim Rome talk about how great seeing an NHL game is live, and mentioning it's the most underrated league in the US. He also goes out of his way to mention what class-acts NHL players are when they appear on his show. I believe he is a Anaheim Ducks season ticket holder.

CanucksFan99
03-05-2009, 01:05 AM
I agree with the above posters..I'd take Rome over those boring and dumb Fan960 personalities..

Now time for the QUADRUPLE YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Go home Clones

Delthefunky
03-05-2009, 03:01 AM
I love when he goes off on tangents, like the halloween one a few years back and he's talking about dude sitting in his office in his batman costume or something.

koop
03-05-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm a fan of his show, but even if I wasn't I think it's good for the Fan to have something other than hockey talk for a couple hours during the day. How many times have you heard any FAN960 personalities talk about the NBA or MLB other than MAYBE steroids or suspensions for a few minutes? Calgary is a hockey town, but you need to have something different for a couple hours each day.

malcolmk14
03-05-2009, 08:38 AM
The halloween one was good because he was going off for a half hour about how if you're over 7, and you dress up for halloween, you're a loser.

Then he goes out on halloween with his kids and sees Chris Pronger dressed up.

So he has Chris on the show a couple weeks later and confronts him about it.

AverageJoe
03-05-2009, 08:48 AM
I might be crazy, and I might be holding some crazy grudge against this guy.....but.

How..............Do ...You......................Listen................ .....To.............HIM...........When......He
................Talks...............Like.......... .....................This......................... ......All...................The ..
...........Time??..........................??

It grates on my nerves!!

I'm not Sayin........Just sayin!

TheRedCrush
03-05-2009, 08:51 AM

I hate it when he talks about Nascar, golf or anything 'college'....too, so I just listen to something else.

Yes you can if you have satellite radio. For hardcore fans outthere that would listen to hockey around the clock, well worht the 15 bucks a month.

troutman
03-05-2009, 09:00 AM
I might be crazy, and I might be holding some crazy grudge against this guy.....but.

How..............Do ...You......................Listen................ .....To.............HIM...........When......He
................Talks...............Like.......... .....................This......................... ......All...................The ..
...........Time??..........................??

It grates on my nerves!!

I'm not Sayin........Just sayin!

I have not noticed that much. More annoying is his tendency to say the same thing ten different ways before moving on. In other words, he tends to repeat his takes. To put it another way, he will make a comment, and re-state it in a slightly different way. Sometimes, he will make a point, and then rephrase it. On the other hand, he can do a take, and then re-set it a minute later. He can make a good argument, and recycle it in the next segment.

VANFLAMESFAN
Does the fan have the freedom to just not play Rome? I imagine they have some sort of agreement in place. Could be wrong of course.

Most likely they don't. Team 1040 wouldn't air Rome in favor of different play by play events in the past like baseball or even British Open golf. Also, on the TEAM 1040, Rome is aired at nighttime now in favor of a new local show.

CaptainCrunch

Specially TODAY!!

you are totally not a jungle Guy.

Johnnie D
04-26-2009, 01:02 PM
jim rome rules!

FanIn80
04-26-2009, 01:20 PM
jim rome rules!

...which is ironic, since your bump completely sucked.

narbeZ
04-26-2009, 02:28 PM
ahaha nice bump johnnie d by nice I mean nice as in boy george in my bed at 2 in the morning UNexpectantly.

Bacardi 151
04-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I'll admit, I used to be of the breed that hated Rome with an absolute passion. I thought he was a pompous, annoying, blow-hard. But after having a boring job for one summer which I listened to the radio the whole day, and got sick of the same songs each of the radio stations in Calgary plays, I tuned in Rome.

The first week or so of listening to him was like listening to a cat drown, but as I got used to the humour and built up some background to his jokes, I found him absolutely hilarious!! Now I'm in Europe, Slovenia to be exact (Anze Kopitar's birth country) and I listen online every chance I get!

Long story short, give Rome a chance and you won't be disappointed...

Out

Smell My Finger
04-26-2009, 03:18 PM
I'll admit, I used to be of the breed that hated Rome with an absolute passion. I thought he was a pompous, annoying, blow-hard. But after having a boring job for one summer which I listened to the radio the whole day, and got sick of the same songs each of the radio stations in Calgary plays, I tuned in Rome.

The first week or so of listening to him was like listening to a cat drown, but as I got used to the humour and built up some background to his jokes, I found him absolutely hilarious!! Now I'm in Europe, Slovenia to be exact (Anze Kopitar's birth country) and I listen online every chance I get!

Out

its like Bombay Saphire (only listeners will get that):D

Envitro
04-26-2009, 06:15 PM
I really really dislike (trying to avoid the word hate) Jim Rome. Nothing about him is funny or insightful. Yeah yeah, I get the whole fake emails thing and he thinks he sooo funny. The guy is an overinflated ######-bag that got his ass handed to him on TV by Jim Everett and has been trying to regain his manhood ever since.

I've got no time for the guy.

phiten
04-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I much prefer Rome, when he is put into a later time slot (what vancouver is doing) you can still get the jungle fix and not have to worry about missing out on breaking hockey news..

In a perfect world the FAN 960 would bump his time slot back during the season, and put it back during the off-season

Yeah_Baby
04-26-2009, 06:21 PM
I much prefer Rome, when he is put into a later time slot (what vancouver is doing) you can still get the jungle fix and not have to worry about missing out on breaking hockey news..

In a perfect world the FAN 960 would bump his time slot back during the season, and put it back during the off-season

When breaking news that is earth shattering occurs, the Fan will break away. Moving Rome to a different time slot, kills the Calgary clones chance to participate in the show.

phiten
04-26-2009, 06:23 PM
When breaking news that is earth shattering occurs, the Fan will break away. Moving Rome to a different time slot, kills the Calgary clones chance to participate in the show.

Ok, maybe not breaking news..but I like it how in Vancouver you are getting updates from the morning skate, and live interviews its nice.

sclitheroe
04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
I really really dislike (trying to avoid the word hate) Jim Rome. Nothing about him is funny or insightful. Yeah yeah, I get the whole fake emails thing and he thinks he sooo funny. The guy is an overinflated ######-bag that got his ass handed to him on TV by Jim Everett and has been trying to regain his manhood ever since.

I've got no time for the guy.

I don't think the emails are fake..there are people on here that have had their emails read on the air...or are you talking about the fake sign-offs on the emails?

GreenTeaFrapp
04-26-2009, 06:29 PM
I don't think the emails are fake..there are people on here that have had their emails read on the air...or are you talking about the fake sign-offs on the emails?

Hell, I once had three emails in an hour. The emails aren't fake.

Infamous1
04-26-2009, 06:32 PM
There's always emails from some guy in Calgary that Rome reads a lot. He must be known to them as a good emailer.

I love the sarcasm of the show. Some callers are so clueless and Rome loves that and goes on these sarcastic rants that crack me up.

IceMan
04-26-2009, 06:34 PM
I like Rome as well. He can be annoying sometimes but i can't live with all day talking about hockey. Its nice to hear somebody talk about other sports for a change as I'm a huge sports fan. Also, he's got the biggest athletes on his show so its cool to listen to the interview.

Buzzard
04-26-2009, 06:46 PM

Out

I'm of the opposite camp. I randomly tuned in quite a few years back on some station that played him late at night. I thought he was the funniest thing I'd ever heard and was pretty happy when 960 brought him on. After listening for a few years though, I have a hard time going back. Very redundant humor. I can only handle so much clone crap, and b ball college this or that. Kind of like Gerry Forbes, his humor is amusing for a while, but there's a definate expiry date, and after that it's bad.

IggyPiggy
04-26-2009, 06:53 PM
At any rate, love him or hate him, he is the number one sport talk show in North America.

And on top of that it is a LOT better than listening to Calgary Flames fans when they are allowed to call in and BLESS us with their hockey brilliance.

I HATE FAN CALL IN SHOWS!!!!!!!! If I have to hear one more person on the radio go, "Ummmmmmm, Ummmmmmmm I, Ummmmmmmm, think, Ummmmmm that we should, Ummmmmmmm Like, Ummmmmmmmm Trade Iginla or like Something Ummmmmmmmm"

postal
04-26-2009, 07:00 PM
burnmonkeyburn.com and stucknut.com are great Rome related sites. In particular the takebox that stucknut provides.

algernon
04-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I was working in Vancouver the last couple of months, and can not express the pure joy I felt as I woke up one morning to find out that his show had been moved. He is just "too 'merican" for my taste. His slow delivery, constant sarcasm and overall self-importance is grating.

I can see why he's popular though... the lowest common denominator often nets the highest ratings.

rubecube
04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
I can see why he's popular though... the lowest common denominator often nets the highest ratings.

The reason he gets the best ratings is because his show is fresh and original. He conducts the best interviews out of any sports show out there by asking relevant questions and not being satisfied with cliche answers. Rome also gets the best guys in the industry for his interviews. His mix of humour and unique listener interaction keeps the program from being just another run of the mill talk show.

algernon
04-26-2009, 08:57 PM
The reason he gets the best ratings is because his show is fresh and original. He conducts the best interviews out of any sports show out there by asking relevant questions and not being satisfied with cliche answers. Rome also gets the best guys in the industry for his interviews. His mix of humour and unique listener interaction keeps the program from being just another run of the mill talk show.

I have never heard him ask a blunt question. In almost every interview he throws softballs right down the middle.

"Ok, Mr. Athlete, tell us about your struggle/hardship/short-changing and how you had to go through years of intensive therapy before you could even contemplate the thought of returning to the game. I mean, you absolutely stood right up to the plate and gave it your all. You went out there and manned up. Share with us how the hard work changed your life and has effected your loved ones. What we are talking about is owning it. You stepped your game up and admitted it. And now it looks like you have what it takes to be a champ/take it to the next level/be a leader on this team..."

"yeah, Jim. It wasn't easy, you know?"

If I were an athlete I'd be happy to go on his show and be guaranteed a positive opportunity to raise my profile. The higher my profile, the bigger my cheques.

I know he's popular, I just don't see the brillance.
I agree his show is unique.

xr4ticrew
04-27-2009, 06:27 AM
Smack off coming soon baby! I got money on Greg in Vegas going yard this year!

no_joke
04-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Interview with Sid the Kid today in the second hour.

irv.chan
04-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Jim Rome is an awesome show. Best thing i looked forward to all day during work is to hear his takes. If you don't like it, then just tune it out. No one is making me listen to the goons at fan 960 who just run their mouths about the flames and don't even make a hard statement. They say phaneuf might be hurt blah blah blah. Just come out and say it. Phaneuf sucked anus this year. He's playing like a RW instead of a D. So stop hiding in the bushes and just say it. PS. Fan 960 only talks about hockey, they don't know their behinds from a hole when they talk basketball or hockey. Believe me I love the flames but i also love my daily dose of Jim Rome.

dobbles
04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
my favorite rome moment...

9HNgqQVHI_8

VANFLAMESFAN
04-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Working in radio, I think Jim Rome is a fantastic radio host....I just don't like his content. I don't like college sports, so I don't listen when he talks talk college sports. I'm not a die hard NFL fan, so I don't like it when he talks 3 hours of NFL.

He doesn't spend much time on hockey, and he bashes soccer, my 2 fav sports. So I don't listen.

Great host, just don't like his content.

VanCity Cowboy
04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Dan Patrick is better than Jim Rome

because his questions are short but elicit really interesting responses from the guests.

Rome just wants to hear himself talk, but ... not .... too.... quickly....

check out Dan Patrick now that he's not with ESPN anymore, it's really good.

Methanolic
04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
[quote=IggyPiggy;1819699]At any rate, love him or hate him, he is the number one sport talk show in North America.
quote]

I love it when people use "the #1 (whatever is being discussed) in North America" arguement!

Because, If it's #1 it must be good! ....Not true.

When something like NASCAR can be so popular, Then I see no reason why Jim Rome shouldn't be too!

JR is Awesome If you like: Inane Commentary, repetative soundbites, A grade 4 sense of humor, A Narcissistic host, Dead Air and a "sheep like" fan base.

I'm out!

Smack!

Rack em!

signed; Michael Jackson ...... HA! HA! HA! HA! :w00t:

VladtheImpaler
04-27-2009, 11:07 AM
[quote=IggyPiggy;1819699]At any rate, love him or hate him, he is the number one sport talk show in North America.
quote]

I love it when people use "the #1 (whatever is being discussed) in North America" arguement!

Because, If it's #1 it must be good! ....Not true.

When something like NASCAR can be so popular, Then I see no reason why Jim Rome shouldn't be too!

JR is Awesome If you like: Inane Commentary, repetative soundbites, A grade 4 sense of humor, A Narcissistic host, Dead Air and a "sheep like" fan base.

I'm out!

Smack!

Rack em!

signed; Michael Jackson ...... HA! HA! HA! HA! :w00t:

Well, you've just described Mike Richards. ;)

Yeah_Baby
04-27-2009, 11:10 AM
The happiest day of Rome's life? When his son told him he wanted to quit soccer. Priceless.

Methanolic
04-27-2009, 11:20 AM
[quote=Methanolic;1820523]

Well, you've just described Mike Richards. ;)

Nope.

Richards repeats interviews and "Flames of our lives" type bits every 40 min. or so. Just like every other morning show because they know people are commuting at different times etc.

He doesn't hold the listener hostage and then just stop talking for 5 or 6 seconds at a time,,Dead Air.

And his sense of humor is, at least at a grade 7 level!! :D

rubecube
04-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Nope.

Richards repeats interviews and "Flames of our lives" type bits every 40 min. or so. Just like every other morning show because they know people are commuting at different times etc.

He doesn't hold the listener hostage and then just stop talking for 5 or 6 seconds at a time,,Dead Air.

And his sense of humor is, at least at a grade 7 level!! :D

Yeah the "Booze Chef" bit is extremely clever. :rolleyes:

Methanolic
04-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah, You guys win!

Rome is a Genius with a rapier wit!!!

He IS the consumate Entertainer.

IggyPiggy
04-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Well Richards certainly didn't have Sidney Crosby on HIS show today, now did he? Probably too busy with some ######ed seven minute song!

xr4ticrew
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Don't you guys remember when Rome had Jarome Ingila on ???

Anyways, Rome breaks up the day well, god I think I'd kill myself if I had to listen to an extra 3 hours of the 960 guys...

Aces High
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Rome's takes are wickedly funny. I just don't like the interviews with boring golfers, college basketball coaches, MMAers, NASCAR drivers, etc etc. I don't watch any of these sports so I don't really care.

I like baseball, hockey, soccer, maybe a little NFL and NBA. But the college sports things are crap, I just turn it off when those come on. He is very full of himself and I realize most of his stuff is written for him but the odd time, maybe once a week, I'll be splitting my sides laughing at some of his bits.

Bigtime
04-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Hey if you don't like his recent obsession with Yakkity Sax, you don't belong on the internet.

I'm pretty much a listener like Aces High, except I'll keep it on a golfer interview if it is Elk or Boo. Those are always classic interviews.

Who remembers when Jim HATED NASCAR-errrrrr "neck"-car? Goes back to him being on at night on 660 if I remember correctly.

WindomURL
04-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Chris Pronger on at 10:30-ish today.
I can't wait to hear the emails from the Chuk

malcolmk14
04-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Crosby, Pronger, Ray Whitney on this week.

Say what you want about Rome, but he is quite good at getting relevant guests on his show.

Skaterock
04-29-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm a huge Rome fan but I definitely understand why some wouldn't agree, it's a very polarizing show. I tend to tune out his interviews (they are a little too kiss-ass), but when he's going off on a particular subject, 9 times out of 10 it's highly entertaining.

He's also a fan of hockey, and say what you will about "who cares if the yanks like our game", it's still cool to hear someone down south promote the game and have players on...

corporatejay
04-29-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm a big fan of rome, the only part of his show that bugs me is the self-congratulating emails he reads after an interview (see coach K today).

ok, ok,....I get it
04-29-2009, 12:24 PM
He hates soccer......any enemy of my enemy is a friend of mine....

Bigtime
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm a big fan of rome, the only part of his show that bugs me is the self-congratulating emails he reads after an interview (see coach K today).

Well at least one of the emails led into the gravel-voiced New York reporter freaking out about Roger Clemen's coming back. That never gets old!

"OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS!"

algernon
07-08-2009, 10:36 AM
The show is enjoyable this week...he has guest hosts!!!

The Sklar(sp?)brothers were on yesterday and were great. I loved the Michael mocking and the witty schtick they bring. I think I heard that Jay Mohr will be hosting as well.

Thank you, Jim Rome.

Skaterock
07-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Jim Rome has been the only thing worth listening to on the FAN this week with all the lame stampede coverage. Does anyone want to listen to 4 hours of that crap every afternoon??

IgiTang
07-08-2009, 11:20 AM
The Team 1260 in Edmonton is not playing Rome today. They're having a trade deadline show.

Who were they ALMOST gonna get at the deadline?

troutman
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Jim Rome has been the only thing worth listening to on the FAN this week with all the lame stampede coverage. Does anyone want to listen to 4 hours of that crap every afternoon??

I appreciate that they want to cover the rodeo, but it must be ratings poison. Same with Motor Sports Monday. Radios across the city can't change stations fast enough.

Jay Mohr on Rome today - can be very funny.

Cowperson
07-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I appreciate that they want to cover the rodeo, but it must be ratings poison. Same with Motor Sports Monday. Radios across the city can't change stations fast enough.

I think a station like Fan960 could partner with other sport stations in other Canadian NHL cities with each producing one hour of local hockey talk per day, including every day the summer, and exchange those hours with each other - effectively five or six hours of hockey talk every day on each station - and do very, very well versus foreign interloper programming like Rome or FoxSports.

Probably wouldn't work for Toronto because I assume Toronto would have full-time local programming.

Even in Canada, that wouldn't be overkill.

Then again, I'm not interested in the Stamps or Blue Jays either.

Cowperson

Resolute 14
07-08-2009, 11:51 AM
That would be a good idea.

As far as rodeo, etc goes. I also bet it costs almost nothing to send one of the local personalities out to call it. I would almost guarantee they turn a profit on things like that, even if a tiny one. Fan960 knows that it's ratings and dollars come from the Flames. Everything else, really, is just filler.

GreenTeaFrapp
07-08-2009, 11:57 AM
I think a station like Fan960 could partner with other sport stations in other Canadian NHL cities with each producing one hour of local hockey talk per day, including every day the summer, and exchange those hours with each other - effectively five or six hours of hockey talk every day on each station - and do very, very well versus foreign interloper programming like Rome or FoxSports.

They tried something like this with CHUM's The Team network across Canada. But even with six or so sports stations across Canada, it's probably still cheaper just to buy US programming.

But if you want NHL talk non-stop, get XM. The NHL channel on there is pretty good when it's not replaying old hockey games.

Erick Estrada
07-08-2009, 11:59 AM

I like it when Jay subs in for Rome. Even those goofy brothers that did monday's show are growing on me.

united
07-08-2009, 12:02 PM
The Jim Rome show is a staple in my day. I thought the Sklar brothers did well and Jay Mohr is always good for some laughs.

Cowperson
07-08-2009, 12:02 PM
They tried something like this with CHUM's The Team network across Canada. But even with six or so sports stations across Canada, it's probably still cheaper just to buy US programming.

But if you want NHL talk non-stop, get XM. The NHL channel on there is pretty good when it's not replaying old hockey games.

If I have to pay for it, I don't want it.

The world is loaded with free radio and there's always something playing somewhere.

Coincidentally enough, I bought a new Durango a few weeks ago and had a week of free Sirius radio before it died. I'll concede it was a bit of a withdrawal kick when I lost the Hillbilly Comedy Network and the Jack Benny Show on Radio Classics.

Cowperson

HotHotHeat
07-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Jay Mohr is on fire today.

Flame12
07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
If I have to pay for it, I don't want it.

The world is loaded with free radio and there's always something playing somewhere.

Coincidentally enough, I bought a new Durango a few weeks ago and had a week of free Sirius radio before it died. I'll concede it was a bit of a withdrawal kick when I lost the Hillbilly Comedy Network and the Jack Benny Show on Radio Classics.

Cowperson
That happen to me as well with my new 2009 Ford escape it was because it was on the dealership's subscriction for 3 weeks i have 6 months free i had to call in to activate it. Dodge gives one year free so i would call them.

jeremywilhelm
07-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Jay Mohr is on fire today.

Im laughing right now.

Rampage
07-08-2009, 12:10 PM

I can't think of a sport that is worse-suited for radio. Maybe Blue Jays baseball- ugh.

Skaterock
07-08-2009, 12:10 PM
The Jim Rome show is a staple in my day. I thought the Sklar brothers did well and Jay Mohr is always good for some laughs.

Does that clown Skip Bayless still do fill-in's? Can't stand that guy. All his other guest hosts are pretty great.

Rampage
07-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Big fan of the Sklar bros. Certainly not savvy sports guys, but their banter makes for interesting listening during a drive.

Skaterock
07-08-2009, 12:17 PM
I can't think of a sport that is worse-suited for radio. Maybe Blue Jays baseball- ugh.

The FAN is filled with programs that make me rush to change the channel: motorsport monday, jungle jim show, rodeo coverage, fox sports radio, chevy & nasty, baseball coverage, overtime, the list is pretty long...

carom
07-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Jay Mohr's CSI: Miami takes always make me laugh.

I am also a big fan of Jason Whitlock. I really liked when he had David Simon on, but that is probably because The Wire is my favorite TV show.

Bob
07-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Jay Mohr was awesome today.

MelBridgeman
07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I get my Olympic Oval fix from QR77 thank you very much

Resolute 14
07-08-2009, 01:07 PM

Not a chance. Baseball on the radio is epic!

You want an awful radio sport? Listen to basketball.

Hugeflamesfan
07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
The FAN is filled with programs that make me rush to change the channel: motorsport monday, jungle jim show, rodeo coverage, fox sports radio, chevy & nasty, baseball coverage, overtime, the list is pretty long...

I agree totally. If fan 960 didnt have Rome i would never listen to the station.

I cant believe they think that broadcasting the rodeo was a good idea!

Rampage
07-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Not a chance. Baseball on the radio is epic!

You want an awful radio sport? Listen to basketball.

I disagree. Basketball has a similar tempo to hockey. Passing, steals, blocks - a number of events that can occur in a split second.
You can paint a picture.

Baseball: He pitches............swings and misses.
But maybe I'm just biased because overall I think baseball as a sport offers the pulse-pounding excitement and intensity of watching a cake bake.

Erick Estrada
07-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Does that clown Skip Bayless still do fill-in's? Can't stand that guy. All his other guest hosts are pretty great.

Skip hasn't done it for a while probably because so many listeners hated him. He and Whitlock are hockey haters so they are at the bottom of my list of fill-ins.

I was laughing listening to Mohr laughing while trying to read some of those emails. Good show today.

JiriHrdina
07-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I disagree. Basketball has a similar tempo to hockey. Passing, steals, blocks - a number of events that can occur in a split second.
You can paint a picture.

But maybe I'm just biased because overall I think baseball as a sport offers the pulse-pounding excitement and intensity of watching a cake bake.

Baseball on the radio is a wonderful thing. The game has some beautiful natural sounds meaning even on the radio the pbp guy doesn't have to fill every second of every minute. It's also got a buttload of numbers to talk about and is actually a game you can take the time to paint the picture for.

It's great.

Erick Estrada
07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
You can paint a picture.

I don't know. I listen to the occasional Jays game on weekends working in the garage and honestly its one of the few sports that doesn't lose much from listening compared to watching it.

I really miss the ESPN football talk on Saturdays. Guys like Mel Kiper and John Clayton are as good as it gets discussing football.

theJuice
07-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Ugh, yea with the rodeo coverage the past week or so, its been just horrible. I normally like leaving the fan on in the background when I do some menial tasks around the house or something, but the rodeo stuff is just unbearable godamn.

Cactus Jack
07-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Last week and this week have been writeoffs for the FAN. With the Rodeo coverage and Rome in the basement for 2 weeks, I don't tune in save for a few segments of Rome but without the pimp himself the show is nothing.

nickerjones
07-08-2009, 03:19 PM

apparently you have never played or if you did you werent very good at it .... Just because is all you think is going on is a pitch and a swing .... its not really the case ... there is so much strategy going on that those who dont know the game would never realize is going on......

I guess I am bias since i played since i was 3 and it paid for most of my college. I dont see just the pitch and its outcome. I am always thinking about what could the batter do ? Bunt , swing, take , hit and run ... and if does do this where will the fielders go .... If the count 1-2 what pitch is about to be thrown? He just got a called strike on a fastball up and in , will the pitcher pound him in up and in with another heater or will he throw a slider down and away....... To me there is so much to think about in Baseball ..... Hockey is more fast paced and is surely exciting but baseball is no way just a boring pitch and swing game

Antithesis
07-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Rodeo on the FAN has just as much drawing power with me as Richards does. Sorry, I want sports talk on my Sports talk radio ... not barnyard animal sounds and some clown whose sports knowledge seems to rival only my wife's.

Jay Random
07-08-2009, 03:44 PM
I dont see just the pitch and its outcome. I am always thinking about what could the batter do ? Bunt , swing, take , hit and run ... and if does do this where will the fielders go .... If the count 1-2 what pitch is about to be thrown? He just got a called strike on a fastball up and in , will the pitcher pound him in up and in with another heater or will he throw a slider down and away....... To me there is so much to think about in Baseball ..... Hockey is more fast paced and is surely exciting but baseball is no way just a boring pitch and swing game

On the same note, watching paint dry can be really quite interesting if you spend your time thinking about the highly complex and amazing chemistry of paint.

For those of us who are not chemists, not so much.

yads
07-08-2009, 04:16 PM
The main thing I can't stand about American sports programming is the non stop coverage of college sports. Aside from sports bettors, why does anyone in Canada care what's going on in Florida state?

Gozer
07-08-2009, 04:38 PM
You can paint a picture.

I can't follow basketball on the radio, only really the score.
"He passes to him on the elbow, cuts, up and good."
I have no idea what just happened, and the play is already going the other way.

Baseball on the other hand, majestic over the radio. Just a matter of taste I suppose.

JayP
07-08-2009, 04:47 PM
On the same note, watching paint dry can be really quite interesting if you spend your time thinking about the highly complex and amazing chemistry of paint.

For those of us who are not chemists, not so much.

What an awful comparison.

I guess you think auto racing is just about guys driving around mindlessly too, right?

GreenTeaFrapp
07-08-2009, 05:13 PM

I guess you think auto racing is just about guys driving around mindlessly too, right?

Nope. It also involves post-race helmet fights.

T@T
07-08-2009, 05:21 PM
This thread should be renamed for this week:

Stampede Rodeo on 960...ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS! :bag:

Rampage
07-08-2009, 05:36 PM
I can't follow basketball on the radio, only really the score.
"He passes to him on the elbow, cuts, up and good."
I have no idea what just happened, and the play is already going the other way.

Baseball on the other hand, majestic over the radio. Just a matter of taste I suppose.

To me, it has the same feel as hockey.
"Back to the point, he fakes a pass, shoots - and deflected just wide of the cage."

On baseball, like you said, just a matter of taste. I won't argue with those who like it - just not for me.
As I mentioned, the sport itself makes me sleepy - so really the radio isn't hurting it much.

Rampage
07-08-2009, 05:42 PM
apparently you have never played or if you did you werent very good at it ....

Hardly. lol
I'm aware it's more in-depth than a father and son tossing a ball back and forth.
The details of the sport just don't capture my imagination. But that's me! You and millions of other people can adore the sport all you want.

Skaterock
07-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Hardly. lol
I'm aware it's more in-depth than a father and son tossing a ball back and forth.
The details of the sport just don't capture my imagination. But that's me! You and millions of other people can adore the sport all you want.

I played baseball all through growing up and you couldn't pay me to watch that sport on TV, let alone listen to it on the radio.

Jay Random
07-08-2009, 09:38 PM

What I'm saying is that if you find the sport itself a bore, it will still bore you no matter how much detail and strategy you add on.

thefanblogger
07-08-2009, 11:08 PM

Specially TODAY!!

Would love to give thanks to this post best of the year but I have no thanks right now :confused:

Never mind I do its still the best post of year.

ResAlien
07-09-2009, 12:20 AM
To bring it back OT, Rome kills me. Constant repetition of tired jokes, dead air, he just sucks out loud. When he takes a call? Ugh. People who are waiting 2 hours to "have a take" are sad. This has been the best week of Rome in a long time, because he has guest hosts.

Nuje
07-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Hardly. lol

Exactly. Chalk it up to tradition, or simply different tastes. Whatever you want. I, unlike many Americans, both hate baseball, and love soccer. To me though, while I know it's more in-depth than a father and son tossing a ball back and forth, I don't see much more to it than that. I enjoy watching highlights of fielding, but things like pitching, home runs, etc. do not excite me. I'll watch it live on occasion though...it's a good excuse to be outside.

SportsJunky
07-09-2009, 08:06 AM
To bring it back OT, Rome kills me. Constant repetition of tired jokes, dead air, he just sucks out loud. When he takes a call? Ugh. People who are waiting 2 hours to "have a take" are sad. This has been the best week of Rome in a long time, because he has guest hosts.
^This.

postal
09-03-2016, 12:02 AM
top 5 sports radio personalities :
1. Jim Rome
2. rich Eisen
3. Steve Czaban
4. Erik Kuselias (currently can't find his show online )
5. Dan Patrick

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

taco.vidal
09-03-2016, 01:47 AM
Thats a big bump
top 5 sports radio personalities :
1. Jim Rome
2. rich Eisen
3. Steve Czaban
4. Erik Kuselias (currently can't find his show online )
5. Dan Patrick

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

rubecube
09-03-2016, 01:50 AM
Do you smell what The Lock is cooking?

Yrebmi
09-03-2016, 01:56 AM
Jim Rome was cut short as soon as the Flames trades went down.

This got me all excited that I missed something until I realized the date.
Stupid old thread bumps.

TheScorpion
09-03-2016, 01:59 AM
This bump is...ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS!

To Be Quite Honest
09-03-2016, 02:20 AM
Did this topic make the thread bumper go postal? Was this etched in his mind all these years and he finally found the irrefutable proof that he needed? Will he sleep better now? Will time start to run normally?