PDA

View Full Version : Scolari Sacked - Chelsea

Locke
02-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Big Phil got the Big Boot.

A statement on the Chelsea website read: "Luiz Felipe Scolari has been dismissed as manager of Chelsea Football Club today (Monday) with immediate effect. The Chelsea board would like to place on record our gratitude for his time as manager.

Unfortunately the results and performances of the team appeared to be deteriorating at a key time in the season.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=617598&sec=england&cc=5739

kdogg
02-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Wow, that was fast.

I liked Scolari. Still wish Mourinho was around though. Too bad. Chelsea sure dug themselves a big hole since December. Things were looking so promising in the first few months.

At least they are still in the Champions League and FA cup for some silverware.

I just can't believe how many points they dropped at home this year.
________
Olga_Sugar_candy (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Olga_Sugar_candy)

Thunderball
02-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Its a bold move to be sure.

Some would say that like Arsenal, Juventus and Milan (top teams with recent slumps), the results are more player-based than coaching. Of course, when coaches have discretion on signings, they have to be held accountable. In other words, Scolari could be the first of a huge coaching change in the top clubs, with Ancelotti already on alert, whispers about both Benitez's and Wenger's future, and Ranieri's position less secure by the day.

I figured Scolari would have had till month's end, and the first game against Juve to seal his fate.

Rumor is Avram Grant is coming back... talk about a lateral move.

Locke
02-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Its a bold move to be sure.

Some would say that like Arsenal, Juventus and Milan (top teams with recent slumps), the results are more player-based than coaching. Of course, when coaches have discretion on signings, they have to be held accountable. In other words, Scolari could be the first of a huge coaching change in the top clubs, with Ancelotti already on alert, whispers about both Benitez's and Wenger's future, and Ranieri's position less secure by the day.

I figured Scolari would have had till month's end, and the first game against Juve to seal his fate.

Rumor is Avram Grant is coming back... talk about a lateral move.

I know huh? How weird would that be?

I dont know about the other Management changes, I'm a fan of Benitez but there is always the opportunity for improvement, the guy gets a huge free pass in my books for the genius move of getting Torres.

Scolari though made some very poor player signings.

Deco is garbage, he is not the franchise player that he was billed as.
Quaresma is crap manifested in human form.
Carvalho should have been put out to pasture a long time ago.
The handling of the Anelka/Drogba duo.

He tried turning Chelsea into Portugal and it wont work in England.

GirlySports
02-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Wow. How much of that contract do they have to eat? Wasn't it a 4 year deal?

Scolari is a poor manager. He took Portugal nowhere. Yes he won the 2002 World Cup but I could have coached that team!

I would also add to Locke's post that Chelsea's downfall was Essien getting hurt and Ballack!! what's happened to that guy?

Locke
02-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Scolari is a poor manager. He took Portugal nowhere. Yes he won the 2002 World Cup but I could have coached that team!

I would also add to Locke's post that Chelsea's downfall was Essien getting hurt and Ballack!! what's happened to that guy?

He never fit in at Chelsea. This is a guy that would be a Franchise playmaker on almost any other team but Chelsea's style never fit him. I still think he should go back to Bayern, but Chelsea just offered him too much money to refuse.

To put it into perspective, Ballack is what Deco was expected to be, but he isnt a flashy player, he works hard, makes good plays and is generally a solid player who can contribute in so many more ways but that just isnt what Chelsea wanted out of him. Probably the most mismanaged player on the whole team including Drogba.

I love the fact that playing for Germany he has repeatedly made fools out of the English, French and Portuguese but they always seem to think their players are better in club play.:rolleyes:

Thunderball
02-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Chelsea has a really bad habit now of buying "name" players, rather than the right players. It started with Mourinho, and has gotten progressively worse.

Shevchenko, Ballack, Deco, Ben Haim, Quaresma (well, its early still), and the oft-troubled Anelka come to mind of wasted money.

They're like the English AC Milan... though at least Chelsea buys players under 30.

Locke
02-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Chelsea has a really bad habit now of buying "name" players, rather than the right players. It started with Mourinho, and has gotten progressively worse.

Shevchenko, Ballack, Deco, Ben Haim, Quaresma (well, its early still), and the oft-troubled Anelka come to mind of wasted money.

They're like the English AC Milan... though at least Chelsea buys players under 30.

Thats a fairly apt comparison actually. They do tend to buy people based on their past accomplishments rather than their future potential.

Cactus Jack
02-09-2009, 01:23 PM

Don't say that in Brazil. They want Filipao back to coach the national team and I can see it happening given how much hatred there is towards Dunga in that country. I hope he does return and we'll see if he can right the national ship in Brazil. The only question is does he want to go back home?
________
Immvp Replay (http://screplays.com)

Bagor
02-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Disagree about Scolari being a bad manager. He won Brasilian titles with Palmeiros. He took Portugal to the Euro finals where they were beat by probably the flukiest team ever to win the title in one of the most one-sided finals not to mention a WC semi with a team that was in their twilight. Winning a WC with any team is no small feat no matter the players. If that's a poor manager then show me a good one.

Just another premature decision by the Chelsea brass. Seems to me that they lack patience and are prone to too many knee jerk reactions in the hope of a quick fix. You only have to look at the firings of Gullit and Mourinho.

Seems to me that the Chelsea board are not unlike the English FA in that they are more interested in having a Yes man than a manager with results being secondary. Long may it continue.

7 months was far too short for someone making their adjustment to the Premier League. Fergie won ZERO in his first three seasons and look what happened after.

Anyways ...... looks like Hiddink might be taking over until the end of the season.

Locke
02-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Apparently they're in talks with Frank Rijkaard too.

I'll be pissed if they get Hiddink, hes way too good of a manager and I thought he was going to stick with National Teams.

Thunderball
02-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Apparently they're in talks with Frank Rijkaard too.

I'll be pissed if they get Hiddink, hes way too good of a manager and I thought he was going to stick with National Teams.

Hiddink claims that he'll continue with Russia, even if he also coaches Chelsea.

There's also a rumor that Ancelotti is going to Chelsea, and Rijkaard would go to Milan. I suspect that's bunk, but there's some big changes coming for the big teams, seeing as balance sheets are getting tighter, and coaches are the cheapest scapegoat.

Locke
02-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Hiddink claims that he'll continue with Russia, even if he also coaches Chelsea.

There's also a rumor that Ancelotti is going to Chelsea, and Rijkaard would go to Milan. I suspect that's bunk, but there's some big changes coming for the big teams, seeing as balance sheets are getting tighter, and coaches are the cheapest scapegoat.

Yeah, but of those 3 coaches I have the most respect for Hiddink, I really dont want to see him at Stamford Bridge.

BTW TB, I coach a bunch of kids that are huge AC fans, what places are the CL cutoffs in Italy?

Thunderball
02-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah, but of those 3 coaches I have the most respect for Hiddink, I really dont want to see him at Stamford Bridge.

BTW TB, I coach a bunch of kids that are huge AC fans, what places are the CL cutoffs in Italy?

Hiddink can turn crap into gold, that's for sure. Of course, most of his success has come from teams that don't have ego issues. Not sure how well he can handle the prima donna attitudes from some of the Chelsea stars. Even Mourinho has problems with the Inter egos, and he did towards the end in Chelsea too.

Top 4 in Italy get CL, 1 and 2 get byes to the Group Stage, 3 and 4 have to play last round qualifiers to get into the Group Stage (but those are gimmie matches against eastern european teams). Its almost better to be third, really, then its an easy win, and extra revenue. 5, 6 and 7 get UEFA, and typically 8th goes into Intertoto (or whatever they call it now).

Locke
02-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Hiddink can turn crap into gold, that's for sure. Of course, most of his success has come from teams that don't have ego issues. Not sure how well he can handle the prima donna attitudes from some of the Chelsea stars. Even Mourinho has problems with the Inter egos, and he did towards the end in Chelsea too.

Top 4 in Italy get CL, 1 and 2 get byes to the Group Stage, 3 and 4 have to play last round qualifiers to get into the Group Stage (but those are gimmie matches against eastern european teams). Its almost better to be third, really, then its an easy win, and extra revenue. 5, 6 and 7 get UEFA, and typically 8th goes into Intertoto (or whatever they call it now).

Thats true about Hiddink, he doesnt typically have to deal with Ego issues and hes used to being able to select his own team.

Crap...I guess AC is pretty much a lock for a CL spot next season then.

You watching the Brazil vs. Italy Friendly in London? Still 0-0 about 12 minutes in. Italy had a goal called back by a questionable offside.

Nevermind, 1-0 Brazil!!

Thunderball
02-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Thats true about Hiddink, he doesnt typically have to deal with Ego issues and hes used to being able to select his own team.

Crap...I guess AC is pretty much a lock for a CL spot next season then.

You watching the Brazil vs. Italy Friendly in London? Still 0-0 about 12 minutes in. Italy had a goal called back by a questionable offside.

Nevermind, 1-0 Brazil!!

Yeah, save for another meltdown, they'll be in the top 4 for sure.

I tend to ignore mid-season friendlies. Both teams are concentrating on not getting injured, and key players on both teams are either sitting out, weren't released by their clubs, or not called up.

kdogg
02-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Looks like Hiddink will take over for the rest of the season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9206066/Hiddink-appointed-temporary-Chelsea-manager
________
GIRLSVERYHORNY live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/GIRLSVERYHORNY)

troutman
02-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Phil was "sacked", eh? Perhaps he can get a sticking plaster out of the boot of his lorry.

Locke
02-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Looks like Hiddink will take over for the rest of the season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9206066/Hiddink-appointed-temporary-Chelsea-manager

Hmmm....Russia's National Team coach taking over for a Russian Billionaire Oil Tycoon's personal Millionaire's club.

Phil was "sacked", eh? Perhaps he can get a sticking plaster out of the boot of his lorry.

Perhaps he can....perhaps he can...