PDA

View Full Version : National Do-Not-Call List Leading To MORE Calls

HelloHockeyFans
01-23-2009, 08:26 AM
OTTAWA — Listing your name on Canada's new do-not-call registry could actually increase the likelihood that you will be targeted by unscrupulous telemarketers.

"You can buy any list you want of people who subscribe to the do-not-call registry online. The whole of Toronto costs you 50 bucks for 600,000 names," Bruce Cran, president of the CAC, said in a telephone interview yesterday.

"That's just perfect for any telemarketer, because these are good names which they would otherwise have to pay money for to verify. In addition to that, there's no index list of cell phone numbers that you can get. However, people were encouraged to put their cell phone numbers on there as well."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090123.wdonotcall23/BNStory/National/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20090123.wdonotcall23

habernac
01-23-2009, 08:28 AM
I've had none since I signed up

FireFly
01-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Isn't the list run by Bell? Wasn't that the main point against the thing when it started? Doesn't that say something? I'm certainly glad I'm not on the Do Not Call list, but then, I never got calls before either.

BlackArcher101
01-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I've had none as well, except for that "you've won a trip" thing from the USA.

ken0042
01-23-2009, 08:47 AM
The one thing I cannot fathom is why any telemarketer would say "Is there a list of people that are so angry with telemarketers that they have lobbied the gov't and then signed up for a registry. I'd like to call those people- because they seem like they'd be potential buyers."

GoinAllTheWay
01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
The one thing I cannot fathom is why any telemarketer would say "Is there a list of people that are so angry with telemarketers that they have lobbied the gov't and then signed up for a registry. I'd like to call those people- because they seem like they'd be potential buyers."

Exactly, how freakins stupid are these people? I fail to see how these would be "good numbers" for telemarketers.

Jetsfan
01-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Since I signed up on the "do not call" list I've been getting more of these idiots calling me. The call display shows the number 000-000-0000.

Gozer
01-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Exactly, how freakins stupid are these people? I fail to see how these would be "good numbers" for telemarketers.

You'd make a lousy telemarketer.

Madman
01-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Since I signed up on the "do not call" list I've been getting more of these idiots calling me. The call display shows the number 000-000-0000.
Same - although I like the fact they show that number so I can just pick up and hang up right away without having to make sure it isn't a call I should take.

kermitology
01-23-2009, 11:15 AM
I've had none as well, except for that "you've won a trip" thing from the USA.

CON-GRAT-U-LATIONS!

I have won
a trip

to

Can
cun

Mexico.

albertGQ
01-23-2009, 11:19 AM
CON-GRAT-U-LATIONS!

I have won
a trip

to

Can
cun

Mexico.

I got that yesterday too, along with a recording about my warranty running out? I didn't bother listening. I just hung up.

Are these long distance calls where they want you to stay on the line?

Neeper
01-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah, Ive been getting calls since I signed up. F'n brutal!

4X4
01-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Anybody been getting calls on their cell phones lately? I never registered my cell phone because I never got telemarketing calls on it before, but in the last couple of months, the fricken sea captain has called me a dozen times.

habernac
01-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I had the on-call phone from work and got the Cancun call.

GoinAllTheWay
01-23-2009, 11:53 AM
You'd make a lousy telemarketer.

I'm ok with that.

Table 5
01-23-2009, 11:54 AM
I got that yesterday too, along with a recording about my warranty running out? I didn't bother listening. I just hung up.

Are these long distance calls where they want you to stay on the line?

You too huh? My mom apparently keeps getting them, and when she phoned them up because she thought it might have to do with her car warranty. they wanted her to sign up for something right then and there, and wouldnt let her hang up. My mom's a very nice lady, so she was on the phone with them for half an hour before she too had enough.

Dan02
01-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Anybody been getting calls on their cell phones lately? I never registered my cell phone because I never got telemarketing calls on it before, but in the last couple of months, the fricken sea captain has called me a dozen times.

yes, i don't bother answer long distance or retricted numbers anymore unless if recognize the number or am expecting a call.

cyclone3483
01-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I just tell them that I would like to talk to them, but just hold of for a second....then put the phone down, walk away, and hang it up about five mins later. If I can hold up a telemarketer for awhile, that means they aren't phoning someone else.

Frank the Tank
01-23-2009, 12:26 PM
I have found that the do-not-call list has greatly reduced the number of telemarketer calls we get. I'm happy with it.

I have also gotten the car warranty phone call thing, which threw me for a loop because we had just bought a minivan. I ignored it.

Dion
01-23-2009, 12:28 PM
I just tell them that I would like to talk to them, but just hold of for a second....then put the phone down, walk away, and hang it up about five mins later. If I can hold up a telemarketer for awhile, that means they aren't phoning someone else.

My response is usually can you speak a little louder i can't hear you. Repeat a few times till they're screaming into the phane and then reply you don't have to yell. Then hang up :D

Bobblehead
01-23-2009, 12:32 PM
If I mention that I'm going to report them for violating the do-not-call, then ask for their name that they usually just hang up.

kermitology
01-23-2009, 12:49 PM
I had the on-call phone from work and got the Cancun call.

I got it the first time a few months ago and started imitating it to my coworker who thought I was nuts. Then he got the call and started laughing his ass off.

Dion
01-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Just got a call saying if i answer a few questions i win a cruise to Nassau in the Bahamas.

ken0042
01-23-2009, 12:51 PM
If I mention that I'm going to report them for violating the do-not-call, then ask for their name that they usually just hang up.

Careful with that one. I did that- the guy tried to give me my number. After the arguement went back and forth he hung up on me. Then a few minutes later I got a call from some guy in Manitoba asking me to take him off my calling list. Apparently the telemarketer started giving out my phone number to whoever would ask.

Circa89
01-23-2009, 12:53 PM
National Call List would be in effect for Canada and/or America only right?

I am getting daily calls from Michigan, California, Florida etc.

I suspect that because the Americans can not legally call American on their National DNCL they are targetting Canadians now. I am sure the opposite exists as well and that is a way to circumnaviagte the issue. It is probably benefiting the call centres in the Maritimes because now they can call the US for US companies and its not illegal because it is coming from outside the country and therefore technically not illegal?

jtfrogger
01-23-2009, 01:35 PM
I have only received telemarketing calls to my cell phone after I registered it on the do not call list. And it is always the 000-000-0000 number calling to tell me about the trip I won.

Ford Prefect
01-23-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm not necessarily getting more calls, but I'm not getting any fewer either. I signed up about three months ago so there's been plenty of time to get put on the list.

I was dubious about this whole deal to start with. The whole thing smacked of being just a way for telemarketers to verify phone numbers, similar to the way spammers use "Unsubscribe" as a way to verify e-mall addresses. And to put Bell in charge of the list strikes me as a bit of a conflict of interest and akin to putting the fox in charge of the hen house.

There aren't a lot of constants in life, but I've found that scum will be scum is one of them. So I'm not really surprised the Do Not Call List isn't working and telemarketing scumbugs are disregarding it.

Titan
01-23-2009, 01:43 PM
I am involved in ensuring our company is compliant with this damned thing and we don't even "telemarket" but if our people want to call a prospect or referral we have to ensure they are not on the national list, our own list and our parent company's list. Total pain in the tookas. Like most gov't programs, the companies that are not even telemarketers have to spend time and money to meet all the new requirements and the bad guys are just selling the list to offshore people or companies that don't care. It is really bad because the fines are enough to scare you to be compliant even if you know there will be ZERO enforcement. It actually pees me off a lot.

Titan
01-23-2009, 01:45 PM
The National Do Not Call list is run by the CRTC. I am fairly certain Bell is not involved, unless they were contracted to do the admin part of it, but that does not sound like their line of business. In any event it is squarely under the CRTC, which should inspire a lot of confidenc. (where is that green text thingy again?)

Ford Prefect
01-23-2009, 01:47 PM
The National Do Not Call list is run by the CRTC. I am fairly certain Bell is not involved, unless they were contracted to do the admin part of it, but that does not sound like their line of business. In any event it is squarely under the CRTC, which should inspire a lot of confidenc. (where is that green text thingy again?)

The CRTC has contracted Bell to administer the list. See linky.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/12/21/tech-calling.html

missdpuck
01-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm on the list here in US & I get tons of marketing calls from Canada lately.

habernac
01-23-2009, 04:01 PM

just hand the phone to your two year old. Hilarity ensues.

Ford Prefect
01-23-2009, 04:08 PM
just hand the phone to your two year old. Hilarity ensues.

We don't have a two-year old on the house, but sometimes I impersonate a two-year old for phone solicitors. They really don't know what to do when I say "Hey mithter, what's your favourite colour?" Or I'll try to sell them something. That's fun too.

Circa89
01-23-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm on the list here in US & I get tons of marketing calls from Canada lately.

aha! That confirms my suspicions that the americans are now contracting Canadian business to do their dirty work and vice versa. Way too obvious of a loop hole, why did nobody see this coming.

missdpuck
01-23-2009, 04:51 PM
aha! That confirms my suspicions that the americans are now contracting Canadian business to do their dirty work and vice versa. Way too obvious of a loop hole, why did nobody see this coming.
Most of the calls come from BC---Victoria and Vancouver. For some reason I thought Ontariio would be the more consistent source:bag:

MoneyGuy
01-23-2009, 05:03 PM

Right. Why not just call from the phone book. There are names and phone there and they're more likely, I'd think, to buy your crap.

I've had no telemarketer calls after I signed up, until last evening when I got my first one.

Antithesis
01-23-2009, 07:15 PM
The "Do Not Call" list is NOT going to stop calls like those from the "You-have-won-a-cru-ise-to-Can-Cun-Mex-i-co" ... those are scams run by con artists, not calls from legitimate businesses. I don't recall getting a single one of those (telemarketing calls) since signing up for the do not call list, and there isn't a lot you can do about the scam calls. They are not getting your name from a list; they are just randomly calling phone numbers.

Rathji
01-23-2009, 08:05 PM
The cruise one, if you just hit 1 about 10 times in a row, it will let you talk to a person and then tell them to remove you from their list. They happily hit their button and the computer voice informs you that your number has been removed. I don't know if they actually remove it or not.

For the most part, I actually have fun with telemarketers now.

Someone calls about protecting my credit card balance. I explain I don't normally need my card to remain balanced on anything, I just keep it in my wallet. If I did need it to stay balanced I could just leave it on the table and since my table is pretty level the card tends not to fall off much.

They ask which field I work in, and I say I sometimes work in the field out back, sometimes I work in the farmers field.

They ask for my income, I go on a 10 minute tirade about how the government is paying me to keep quite about something I saw back in 'Nam. I explain that I need to have an ample supply of tin foil for hats just in case the government decides to do something about it.

Normally, after a combination of 2-3 of these responses I have my wife in stitches and they have either hung up in disgust or are simply trying to get me to 'confirm my responses' with their supervisor.

I have wasted 5-10 mins of their time and get my kicks. My thoughts are that if we reduce their profit margins by enough we will not have to deal with them anymore. I know it is pretty much a pipe dream, but I figure if everyone did this they would go broke soon enough.

Mightyfire89
01-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Since seeing "There will be blood", whenever a telemarketer calls I just randomly and repeatedly say "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE", getting louder with each repetition. It really seems to unsettle them and they usually hang up after the 3rd or 4th time.

ken0042
01-23-2009, 08:27 PM
The talk of what to do with telemarketers has reminded me of one simple classic. When the TM calls, just keep repeating "sorry, I don't speak English." It's especially funny if you are like me and don't have any sort of accent or anything.

GoJetsGo
01-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm sure some of you have seen this:

1waHJhb2wxo

Funny enough it exacts some small revenge on everyone's behalf.

I am going to attempt it one of these days. :D