PDA

View Full Version : Dear Newbies

TheCommodoreAfro
01-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Hi There,
Welcome - you will find approximately a quarter of your team is represented by this overseas agency. Some notes:

1) Paycuts. No. Contracts are to be honoured.
2) Free Agents - need a player quick - lots of unsigned talent here!
3) Time Zone - I am in Japan. That means when you are asleep, I am awake, etc. It's 16 hours ahead, so your best bet is to contact me at feffrey@gmail.com. Once in a while I go on messenger but when I do, typically nobody is around.
4) All Superstars will get the league max. No questions asked. If you don't like it, trade them to a team that does.
5) Trade away if you wish to do so.
6) Be nice when you enter our office. Good relationships are started off with niceties, not coming in and flaming our players.

Look forward to dealing with you.

Superfraggle
01-14-2005, 11:14 PM
All superstars will get the league max??!!! Sounds like somebody's trying to drive us into a CBA conflict and maybe even a lockout to lower the league max. :lol: Unless maybe you define a superstar as anyone with an OV over 90 :P.

If Kariya were on a contract year and his agent were to decide that, since he's an 80 OV he should get league max, my response would be this: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

All depends on who you define a superstar, of course.

:D

edit: for sp. Dunno why, but I always type a "c" in response the first time.

notoepik
01-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Superfraggle@Jan 15 2005, 12:14 AM

edit: for sp. Dunno why, but I always type a "c" in response the first time.
It is a Canadian thing, you guys do that to Defense too :P

Superfraggle
01-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by notoepik+Jan 14 2005, 11:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (notoepik @ Jan 14 2005, 11:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Superfraggle@Jan 15 2005, 12:14 AM

edit: for sp.# Dunno why, but I always type a "c" in response the first time.
It is a Canadian thing, you guys do that to Defense too :P [/b][/quote]
no, no...defence is right. Response doesn't look right with a c, though :D

Pointman
01-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Well, with one-way contracts it's very easy to force agent to accept paycut. If you have a guy like Petrov (3,8$) send him to minors (he'll get 0,38$) and then write to his agent: "If you want your Petrov to have 0,8$ instead of 0,38$, just accept 0,8$ one-way deal. This would guarantee Petrov's salary increased twice and GM would get a useful player with reasonable contract."

(just a tip to newbies. could be very useful 4 monthes ago with Walz, Kasper, Petrov, Knutsen and others in minors).

Superfraggle
01-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Pointman@Jan 15 2005, 08:54 AM
Well, with one-way contracts it's very easy to force agent to accept paycut. If you have a guy like Petrov (3,8$) send him to minors (he'll get 0,38$) and then write to his agent: "If you want your Petrov to have 0,8$ instead of 0,38$, just accept 0,8$ one-way deal. This would guarantee Petrov's salary increased twice and GM would get a useful player with reasonable contract."

(just a tip to newbies. could be very useful 4 monthes ago with Walz, Kasper, Petrov, Knutsen and others in minors).
don't you mean 2-way contracts? Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a 1-way won't they make the same whether they're in the NHL or the AHL?

Great idea, though

RougeUnderoos
01-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Pointman@Jan 15 2005, 08:54 AM

Sending a player to the minors does require him clearing waivers.

CaptainCrunch
01-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Sending a player to the minors, if you don't lose them to waivers is hardly going to make your life easier when negotiating with an agent.

You might find yourself with several holdouts, and several players exploring free agencey more vigorously.

You might have tools, but we have them too. We're not wilting flowers here

Superfraggle
01-15-2005, 04:07 PM
It's, naturally, a tactic to be used only when a player agent is being unreasonable (that doesn't really happen, does it? B) ), but it's good to know we have some leverage of our own

Pointman
01-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by RougeUnderoos+Jan 15 2005, 01:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RougeUnderoos @ Jan 15 2005, 01:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pointman@Jan 15 2005, 08:54 AM

Sending a player to the minors does require him clearing waivers. [/b][/quote]
Somehow I realize it. However, guys like Walz, Petrov etc cleared waivers with ease and were buried in minors at the start of the season. Audette's performance surely improved chances of guys like them being claimed, but Sharks can confirm losing Kasparaitis-like overpaid U70 player on waivers never hurts. Usually GMs are just trying to get rid of them. If he's claimed - fine. If not - GM can always offer one-way contract with huge salary cut.

CaptainCrunch
01-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Pointman+Jan 16 2005, 01:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pointman @ Jan 16 2005, 01:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by RougeUnderoos@Jan 15 2005, 01:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Pointman@Jan 15 2005, 08:54 AM
Well, with one-way contracts it's very easy to force agent to accept paycut. If you have a guy like Petrov (3,8$)# send him to minors (he'll get 0,38$) and then write to his agent: "If you want your Petrov to have 0,8$ instead of 0,38$, just accept 0,8$ one-way deal. This would guarantee Petrov's salary increased twice and GM would get a useful player with reasonable contract."

Somehow I realize it. However, guys like Walz, Petrov etc cleared waivers with ease and were buried in minors at the start of the season. Audette's performance surely improved chances of guys like them being claimed, but Sharks can confirm losing Kasparaitis-like overpaid U70 player on waivers never hurts. Usually GMs are just trying to get rid of them. If he's claimed - fine. If not - GM can always offer one-way contract with huge salary cut. [/b][/quote]
Thats fine and a tactic that you might want to use. However it you come to me with a player that has two years left to go on his contract and demand a paycut or else scenario, I'm pretty much going to tell you that I'm not interested and you can abuse my player by sending him to the minors, I'll take my chances on free agancy. Also if you take a player with a 2 million dollar contract and send him to the minors that still 200k of your minor league budget that goes away out of a minor league budget of 3 million.

Also you have to remember that if you abuse one of my players and try to blackmail me into taking a hit on him, I am going to go out of my way to make that up on one of your better players down the road. Or I might not be so willing to help you avoid unrestricted free agency on one of your stars.

Also I have last decision on where my players go when they are free agents, and if you abuse my stable, my players will probably take a dim view of it.

Remember as Agents

We control Barter Town

Pointman
01-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by CaptainCrunch+Jan 15 2005, 09:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CaptainCrunch @ Jan 15 2005, 09:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Pointman@Jan 16 2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by RougeUnderoos@Jan 15 2005, 01:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Pointman@Jan 15 2005, 08:54 AM

Somehow I realize it. However, guys like Walz, Petrov etc cleared waivers with ease and were buried in minors at the start of the season. Audette's performance surely improved chances of guys like them being claimed, but Sharks can confirm losing Kasparaitis-like overpaid U70 player on waivers never hurts. Usually GMs are just trying to get rid of them. If he's claimed - fine. If not - GM can always offer one-way contract with huge salary cut.
Thats fine and a tactic that you might want to use. However it you come to me with a player that has two years left to go on his contract and demand a paycut or else scenario, I'm pretty much going to tell you that I'm not interested and you can abuse my player by sending him to the minors, I'll take my chances on free agancy. Also if you take a player with a 2 million dollar contract and send him to the minors that still 200k of your minor league budget that goes away out of a minor league budget of 3 million.

Also you have to remember that if you abuse one of my players and try to blackmail me into taking a hit on him, I am going to go out of my way to make that up on one of your better players down the road. Or I might not be so willing to help you avoid unrestricted free agency on one of your stars.

Also I have last decision on where my players go when they are free agents, and if you abuse my stable, my players will probably take a dim view of it.

Remember as Agents

We control Barter Town [/b][/quote]
One thing you seem to miss is that sending Walz-like guy to minors is not necessary a tactic against agents. Usually it's just a way to stay under the cap. In fact, all of those guys were in minors regardless of any contracts wars at the start of the season (except for Audette, who was heading the same way). So, if GM is sending say Walz to AHL is does NOT mean that he's going to abuse his agent by any means. Usually it's the only way for him to stay under cap. And AFTER Walz appeared to be in minors (where he was buried for years regardless of any contracts wars) the only reasonable solution, which can satisfy BOTH GM and agent is one-way contract with huge cut. Agents are quite reasonable guys as they realize, that Hrkac-like player salary should be no more than 0,5$ and Walz/Petrov are not any better than Hrkac. Indeed, the same Petrov spent whole last CPHL season on the farm ONLY because of his abysmal contract. Taking cuts will HELP those guys to play in CPHL and be tradeable and valuable commodity. There's no point in revenging GM who sent Petrov or Walz to minors coz we all know it's where they belong and they were there at the start of the season simply coz they sucks, not because GMs were going to start any contract wars with agents.

Cheese
01-16-2005, 10:51 AM
wow...maybe we should hire Mr Pointman as an agent.... :blink:

Pointman
01-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by GerryCheevers@Jan 16 2005, 10:51 AM
wow...maybe we should hire Mr Pointman as an agent.... :blink:
I'm still unemployed as no one is insane enough to pick me for any real job :lol:. Interviews are scheduled though. I think, I may join CPHLFA as a director of consulting, advising and whining department. This department would represent those fans, who like to consult, advise and whine. We will tell GMs which trades they need to make their teams better, post some clever and stupid (coz we have to represent ALL fans) suggestions about CPHL improvement, whine about terrible sim and come up with general "the world is awful" comments.