PDA

View Full Version : African American

habernac
01-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Is anyone else tired of this term? It has never made sense to me. I don't call myself "European Canadian". I'm just a Canadian. I certainly don't want to sound racist, it just seems silly. I asked a friend of mine once, she told me she didn't like it either. "I'm not African American, I'm black."

Swayze11
01-20-2009, 08:30 AM
..racist

FanIn80
01-20-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm a Scottish-Ukrainian-Calgarian-Albertan Canadian, myself.

Bring_Back_Shantz
01-20-2009, 08:33 AM
I have a buddy who I refer to as "African-Canadian".
It's funny because he's as white as I am, but he was born in South Africa and moved here when he was about 8, so I think it still counts.

Bobblehead
01-20-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm Canadian and I wish it could be left at that (for the record, I'm WASP)

Wookie
01-20-2009, 08:35 AM
But I think there's a general feeling that people don't like being called black. Because then you're stating they're "not white" "different" "blah blah blah"

http://flagspot.net/images/f/fic-spk1.gif

FanIn80
01-20-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm Canadian and I wish it could be left at that (for the record, I'm WASP)

Wow. Really? Which instrument did you play?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Wasp1.jpg

dobbles
01-20-2009, 08:38 AM
personally, i see it as a term that was used to give black people an identity. after centuries of being treated like crap, i think there was a desire to differentiate themselves and show their pride of their african heritage. i have first cousins that are mixed race, and in our family, if we need to use a term, we do just use black. but i think it always depends on the person and the circumstance.

BlackEleven
01-20-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't like the term either. You could be African American and still be white (someone who immigrated from South Africa for example). Or you could be black and neither African nor American. If you're going to come up with a new PC term, at least pick something that makes sense...

Bobblehead
01-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Wow. Really? Which instrument did you play?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Wasp1.jpg

Instrument? Play? You've seen WASP, it's all about the hair! Blackie Lawless FTW (or not).

HelloHockeyFans
01-20-2009, 08:46 AM
I don't see the issue with the term... not a big deal if someone uses that term to describe themselves/others.

Daradon
01-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Well I do say, 'African Canadian' when talking about someone in our borders. I would never want to add the term American to someone who didn't deserve it... ;)

Flame away, lol.

In truth, I try to use the term African Canadian to be polite but usually find out later that the person doesn't care or uses another term.

Heck I don't mind being called 'whitey' but I'm a lot more easy going than most so I try to respect others until I am more sure about what they are comfortable with. I can see how terms might bring up bad memories or ideas to some.

old-fart
01-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm an old fart....

Wookie
01-20-2009, 09:23 AM
If us whitey's could just use that one damn word and no one cared then everything would be cool ;)

Prototype
01-20-2009, 11:07 AM
I had a buddy who was white, born in Singapore. European-Canadian-Singaporian.

flip
01-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Every Black person I've ever been friends with (about 10) have all found it ridiculous, and hate how oversensitive people in Canada act about calling them black.

They might react differently if they lived in the deep south, or an area that had lots of racism, but most of them have grown up in communities that are extremely tolerant, so they've hardly ever been subjected to any sort of racism.

Table 5
01-20-2009, 11:14 AM
I hate the term myself. It's used by people, who in an effort to make people feel accepted and included, do just the opposite by calling out how different they are.

Reminds me of how a few years ago Iginla was started being hyped by the media as a great black hockey player and how we should all accept him as is.....when before we all did anyway, and just thought of him as a great hockey player period.

jus_sum_guy
01-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Don't like the term. Along with Asian American, Indian American and so on

Bobblehead
01-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Every Black person I've ever been friends with (about 10) have all found it ridiculous, and hate how oversensitive people in Canada act about calling them black.

They might react differently if they lived in the deep south, or an area that had lots of racism, but most of them have grown up in communities that are extremely tolerant, so they've hardly ever been subjected to any sort of racism.

I was walking down the street with a buddy of mine and a pickup truck pulled over to the curb and started throwing every racial epithet they could out the window. My buddy had a few choice words back, and the pickup took off. I asked him and he said it happens every so often. Didn't seem to bother him too much, at least not that it showed, but I was more than a bit shocked because I had never experienced anything like that before.

Joborule
01-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Meh, I'm indifferent when the term Black or African-American is used on me.

Bagor
01-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Is Indian technically still considered derogatory?

Reason I'm asking is my 5 year old came home from school (French) and told me he was learning all about the Indians?

I thought the word was a bit no no for a few years now but is it still acceptable in French (Indien)?

4X4
01-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I wonder if east indians are annoyed that their word got jacked, thus forcing them to have to be called "east" indians..? And I also wonder why the first people that arrived in NA thought that natives were indians? You can't really get to india without passing through asia. Even they would have know that. So why didn't they think they were encountering chinese or south asian people?

gottabekd
01-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I also dislike using the term "African American".

If I trace my roots back far enough, I'm also "African American", despite being a whitey. To me it singles out the group as not being from around here. No matter how many generations a black family has lived in North America, calling them "African American" implies they are some different, irregular type of American.

Not to mention someone may hardly identify themselves as any type of African descendant, yet they have darker skin, so are labeled as such.

malcolmk14
01-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I wonder if east indians are annoyed that their word got jacked, thus forcing them to have to be called "east" indians..? And I also wonder why the first people that arrived in NA thought that natives were indians? You can't really get to india without passing through asia. Even they would have know that. So why didn't they think they were encountering chinese or south asian people?

Christopher Columbus called them Indians when he arrived, because he thought he had reached the East Indies on his way to Asia.

4X4
01-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Christopher Columbus called them Indians when he arrived, because he thought he had reached the East Indies on his way to Asia.

Ah. Makes perfect sense.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 12:10 PM
i hate when people call themsleves Irish, Itialian, or (insert country) and they have never been there, they don't speak the language.

you are canadian.

malcolmk14
01-20-2009, 12:16 PM
i hate when people call themsleves Irish, Itialian, or (insert country) and they have never been there, they don't speak the language.

you are canadian.

This is one thing that really bothers me, actually. I have a friend that goes on and on about how he is Irish. I always come back with something like "Oh yeah? What city in Ireland do you live in?" or "Oh, who's the head of state in Ireland right now?".

We went to Mexico a few years ago and he pulled out a Canadian passport. I pretended to act surprised and asked him where his Irish passport was. It's now turned into an onrunning joke amongst my friends, and we always interrupt him when he's ordering food at a pub and we tell the server he'll just have some Irish Stew and a Guinness.

Teh_Bandwagoner
01-20-2009, 12:31 PM
I prefer the term "Blackie McBlackington".

It's rather surprising how non-offensive this term seems to be, despite my repeated use.

flip
01-20-2009, 12:35 PM

you are canadian.

This is one thing that really bothers me, actually. I have a friend that goes on and on about how he is Irish. I always come back with something like "Oh yeah? What city in Ireland do you live in?" or "Oh, who's the head of state in Ireland right now?".

We went to Mexico a few years ago and he pulled out a Canadian passport. I pretended to act surprised and asked him where his Irish passport was. It's now turned into an onrunning joke amongst my friends, and we always interrupt him when he's ordering food at a pub and we tell the server he'll just have some Irish Stew and a Guinness.

I am rather proud of my Italian and Irish heritage.

We do eat a lot of Italian food, no I don't speak it, but I do know where my mom's family still lives in Italy, so in that respect I am Italian. Furthermore, as a 2nd generation Italian I am entitled to Italian citizenship, I haven't applied yet and would like to, but either way I could.

As for the Irish in me, my last name is Irish and I am proud of it very much even though I know little about my actual Irish heritage. That being said your friend sounds kind of lame, if he gets his Irish culture in the form of food and drink from a pub, which is a crappy representation of actual Irish culture, then yes you should make fun of him a lot.

I consider myself a Canadian who is of Irish-Italian heritage. Since most of my family speaks Italian, visits frequently etc I tend to identify more with my Italian side. I cheer for Italy in soccer, and Ireland when applicable.

For my Irish heritage it comes in handy a lot when I'm drinking (people attribute my drinking abilities, and being a loud boisterous drunk to being Irish/Italian), that and St Patty's Day.

malcolmk14
01-20-2009, 12:38 PM
I consider myself a Canadian who is of Irish-Italian heritage.

This is where you differ from my friend who considers himself Irish.

flip
01-20-2009, 12:40 PM
This is where you differ from my friend who considers himself Irish.

I should say though, on St Patty's Day, I'm Irish. When Italy is in Euro, or the World Cup, I'm Italian, when Canada is at the Olympics or World Championships, I'm Canadian.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 12:43 PM
I am rather proud of my Italian and Irish heritage.

We do eat a lot of Italian food, no I don't speak it, but I do know where my mom's family still lives in Italy, so in that respect I am Italian. Furthermore, as a 2nd generation Italian I am entitled to Italian citizenship, I haven't applied yet and would like to, but either way I could.

As for the Irish in me, my last name is Irish and I am proud of it very much even though I know little about my actual Irish heritage. That being said your friend sounds kind of lame, if he gets his Irish culture in the form of food and drink from a pub, which is a crappy representation of actual Irish culture, then yes you should make fun of him a lot.

I consider myself a Canadian who is of Irish-Italian heritage. Since most of my family speaks Italian, visits frequently etc I tend to identify more with my Italian side. I cheer for Italy in soccer, and Ireland when applicable.

For my Irish heritage it comes in handy a lot when I'm drinking (people attribute my drinking abilities, and being a loud boisterous drunk to being Irish/Italian), that and St Patty's Day.

I see you points, but as someone that was born in England or Welsh decent, but has Canadian Citizenship, and served in our army, it still drives me nuts that people make attempts at linking themselves to countries that are IMO inferior to ours.....and just so I am clear you only cheer for Ireland when they are in a drinking contest? With all do respect knowing you Italian geography does not make you italian.

This desire to be attached to another country is a weakness of our nation and one I wish would stop.

Slàinte & Alla Salute

4X4
01-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Good post, flip. I'm kinda the same when it comes to identifying myself.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I should say though, on St Patty's Day, I'm Irish. When Italy is in Euro, or the World Cup, I'm Italian, when Canada is at the Olympics or World Championships, I'm Canadian.

so you are a drunk lumber jack that drives a tank with only reverse for gears?;)

corporatejay
01-20-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the census calls them "blacks". I recall in my Race and Ethnicity Soci 4xx class that academics (in canada anyway) refer to them as "black" or "the blacks".

flip
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM
I see you points, but as someone that was born in England or Welsh decent, but has Canadian Citizenship, and served in our army, it still drives me nuts that people make attempts at linking themselves to countries that are IMO inferior to ours.....and just so I am clear you only cheer for Ireland when they are in a drinking contest? With all do respect knowing you Italian geography does not make you italian.

This desire to be attached to another country is a weakness of our nation and one I wish would stop.

Slàinte & Alla Salute

No I'm Italian because I have an Italian mother, eat Italian food (just finished some homemade Calzone), have Italian aunts and uncles who live in Chieti, Italy, call all of my aunts, uncles, and grandparents, Zia, Zio and Nonna and Nonno.

I don't eat Italian food at restaurants because I don't need to. I eat at real Italian places sometimes like Lina's because they are all Italian and know how to cater to Italians. I don't say I'm Italian by eating at Chianti's.

Like I said I have less Irish heritage. I know a little about my Irish family, but most of all I have an Irish last name, that makes me Irish. Most other people hear Irish and think drinking/drunk ahole so that is how most people identify me with when they hear I'm of Irish descent.

I consider myself a Canadian who is of Irish/Italian descent, and find it extremely offensive, actually more hilarious that you'd say either of those two countries are inferior to Canada. Don't get me wrong, it is great here, but we don't hold a flame to their art, culture, food, drink etc. We are more tolerant and have higher standards of living (barely) which I appreciate but not "better".

cKy
01-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Aslong as Spike Lee and Kanye West keep their mouth shut, they can call themselves whatever they want.

Does this forum have any "those people" from the Southern USA? I would imagine their view of this and the "Canadian" view is completely different. The few black friends I have all prefered to be called "Steve, John, Fred" .. you know, there F'n names.

I'm not a racist, but I am not polictally correct either, but seriously, why must we label everything.

My brother has a 4 Leaf Clover mixed with a Canadian Flag tattoo on his forearm - He has never been to Ireland, and he is only %30 Irish - I dont see no Swedish Flag on his F'n Arm.

...... dammit, I knew I shouldnt of read this thread.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I consider myself a Canadian who is of Irish/Italian descent, and find it extremely offensive, actually more hilarious that you'd say either of those two countries are inferior to Canada. Don't get me wrong, it is great here, but we don't hold a flame to their art, culture, food, drink etc. We are more tolerant and have higher standards of living (barely) which I appreciate but not "better".

opinions...........everyone has them.....I have been to both Ireland and Italy......that is what I am basing my opinion on.

I think you sell Canada short on it's accomplishments.

Daradon
01-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I think it's wrong to say one country is inferior to any other. Maybe even bordering on racist.

You may prefer it one place or another, but how can you actually make a judgment like that? A country is made up of it's people, you're saying certain nations and certain people are below or worse than others?

Boblobla
01-20-2009, 01:09 PM
This may or may not be crossing a line...

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/40/200px-Sp1101watjj.jpg

the answer is 'nagger'

racist.

troutman
01-20-2009, 01:09 PM

you are canadian.

We are scatterlings of Africa.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 01:10 PM
I think it's wrong to say one country is inferior to any other. Maybe even bordering on racist.

You may prefer it one place or another, but how can you actually make a judgment like that? A country is made up of it's people, you're saying certain nations and certain people are below or worse than others?

What I am saying is that certain countries are better then others. Certain countries have ongoing political unrest, social unrest and inequality, poor or corrupt economies, history of instability.......so yeah I am saying that some countries are better than others. Please do not claim that this is racist. Do you like some hockey teams better than others, some cars better than others, some types of food better than others? Clearly that are countries that are better than others. IMO Canada is one of the countries that is better than others. I have not doubt that if I had was still in the UK, I would not have the same standard of living I currently have.

So you view all countries the same? The world is a big bad place....there are bad countries.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 01:11 PM
we are scatterlings of monkeys.

fixed

jus_sum_guy
01-20-2009, 01:11 PM
opinions...........everyone has them.....I have been to both Ireland and Italy......that is what I am basing my opinion on.

I think you sell Canada short on it's accomplishments.

I think you sell every other country short on their own accomplishments.

No country is inferior to Canada and Canada is not inferior to any other country.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 01:14 PM
I think you sell every other country short on their own accomplishments.

No country is inferior to Canada and Canada is not inferior to any other country.

so you are moving to Seira Leone or North Korea or Ukraine soon?

how do you say all countries are equal, nice concept.....just not factual

malcolmk14
01-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Wow, to suggest someone is a racist for thinking one country is better than another is absolutely absurd. Especially when the better country is as multicultural and tolerant as Canada.

jus_sum_guy
01-20-2009, 01:19 PM
so you are moving to Seira Leone or North Korea or Ukraine soon?

how do you say all countries are equal, nice concept.....just not factual

I just read your post about our standard of living here being better than other countries. If that is indeed what you are basing your comments on then I agree 100%.

I thought you meant that Canada is the greatest country in the world and every other country should just keep to themselves... you know... like how the Americans think...

Daradon
01-20-2009, 01:19 PM
What I am saying is that certain countries are better then others. Certain countries have ongoing political unrest, social unrest and inequality, poor or corrupt economies, history of instability.......so yeah I am saying that some countries are better than others. Please do not claim that this is racist. Do you like some hockey teams better than others, some cars better than others, some types of food better than others? Clearly that are countries that are better than others. IMO Canada is one of the countries that is better than others. I have not doubt that if I had was still in the UK, I would not have the same standard of living I currently have.

So you view all countries the same? The world is a big bad place....there are bad countries.

Well Italy and Ireland aren't really places of unrest or instability.

And I guess it also depends on what you mean by 'better'. It's not like hockey teams where you can look at points. It's not a competition.

Lastly values are different around the world ad they are hardly universal in nature. Besides outright intolerance, how can we judge one set of values to another.

I mean I get where you're coming from, I too get tired of people complaining Canada hasn't made it's contributions or doesn't have anything important going for it. But to say that we're better than another country? Mmmm, sounds kinda intolerant. You may like it better, and that would be an opinion and one that I could get behind in many cases. But that's different than saying that it is in fact better.

Daradon
01-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Wow, to suggest someone is a racist for thinking one country is better than another is absolutely absurd. Especially when the better country is as multicultural and tolerant as Canada.

I'm just not sure how you define better. You can say we are better at certain things. You can say you LIKE Canada better. But to say one country is better than another. Egotistical at best and intolerant at worst.

Maybe I'm just arguing semantics. I don't believe the poster to be racist, just not sure how you define a country as better than another.

malcolmk14
01-20-2009, 01:26 PM
You can base it on a lot of things. Quality of life, standard of living, economic and political stability, immigration/emigration trends.

There's a reason you don't see people lined up at the Sierra Leone Immigration Authority desk. The country sucks.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Well Italy and Ireland aren't really places of unrest or instability.

And I guess it also depends on what you mean by 'better'. It's not like hockey teams where you can look at points. It's not a competition.

Lastly values are different around the world ad they are hardly universal in nature. Besides outright intolerance, how can we judge one set of values to another.

I mean I get where you're coming from, I too get tired of people complaining Canada hasn't made it's contributions or doesn't have anything important going for it. But to say that we're better than another country? Mmmm, sounds kinda intolerant. You may like it better, and that would be an opinion and one that I could get behind in many cases. But that's different than saying that it is in fact better.

maybe this is getting lost in the subilties of the "canadian" language. IMO, canada is a better place to live, there by making it, IMO, a better country.

As I said in an earlier post everyone has opinions. Do I honestly think Canada is better than other countries, yes, there come and fit me for my white sheet. However, if you think that is racist, you have not seen racism at work first hand (I have).

BTW, do some searches, racism and intolerance are major problems currently facing Italy.

Daradon
01-20-2009, 01:35 PM
RE Malcolm: ^^^ Then one should probably qualify the statement by saying they are basing it on those things, instead of a blanket statement 'we rule, they suck', sorta thing.

I'd still feel bad saying Canada is better than Sierra Leone. It's not a lot of those people's fault the country is in the state it is. I can definitely say I wouldn't want to live there, but I would have a hard time saying, 'that country sucks'.

And the original example was made with Italy and Ireland, not places like Sierra Leone. And those places have democratic governments and high quality of life.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 01:38 PM
RE Malcolm: ^^^ Then one should probably qualify the statement by saying they are basing it on those things, instead of a blanket statement 'we rule, they suck', sorta thing.

I'd still feel bad saying Canada is better than Sierra Leone. It's not a lot of those people's fault the country is in the state it is. I can definitely say I wouldn't want to live there, but I would have a hard time saying, 'that country sucks'.

And the original example was made with Italy and Ireland, not places like Sierra Leone. And those places have democratic governments and high quality of life.

Ireland and Italy were just the countries "flip" mentioned.......had he mentioned Seirra Leone or Uganda would you have been happier?

Daradon
01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
maybe this is getting lost in the subilties of the "canadian" language. IMO, canada is a better place to live, there by making it, IMO, a better country.

As I said in an earlier post everyone has opinions. Do I honestly think Canada is better than other countries, yes, there come and fit me for my white sheet. However, if you think that is racist, you have not seen racism at work first hand (I have).

BTW, do some searches, racism and intolerance are major problems currently facing Italy.

Oh I'm fine with the IMO, you just didn't preface it like that before. And I know you aren't racist, like I said earlier. It just came out weird, or I misunderstood.

It'd be like me saying, well I'm better than 'so and so'. Kinda mean to that person, especially if I don't say WHY or at WHAT I am better.

Daradon
01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Ireland and Italy were just the countries "flip" mentioned.......had he mentioned Seirra Leone or Uganda would you have been happier?

I would have understood it more, yes of course.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 01:42 PM
I would have understood it more, yes of course.

so it was semantics?

malcolmk14
01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
I think we can all move on from this argument and just agree that African Americans can now be called Darkies.

habernac
01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
well this went in a direction I never envisioned

Daradon
01-20-2009, 01:44 PM
so it was semantics?

Haha, yeah I did say we might be arguing semantics a few posts back.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Oh I'm fine with the IMO, you just didn't preface it like that before. And I know you aren't racist, like I said earlier. It just came out weird, or I misunderstood.

It'd be like me saying, well I'm better than 'so and so'. Kinda mean to that person, especially if I don't say WHY or at WHAT I am better.

what i said was:

Slàinte & Alla Salute
just saying................

skins
01-20-2009, 01:46 PM

maybe you should change your handle to "flip-flop"

Daradon
01-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah I see the context of the IMO now. I took it in the wrong context I guess. I apologize.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah I see the context of the IMO now. I took it in the wrong context I guess. I apologize.

so you should be!......I have never made a mistake like that!

:beer:

The Goon
01-20-2009, 01:58 PM
My parents moved to Canada from South Africa, and I was born here. I guess technically I'm bi-racial, but it would be ridiculous for me to consider myself anything other than Canadian.

I have a maple leaf tattooed on my shoulder and the last time I was in SA, a cousin chided me for not having a springbok or protea tattoo. I told him to get bent.

PsYcNeT
01-20-2009, 02:02 PM
SEMANTICS ALERT!

I think we need to push other terms besides 'racist' into the spotlight.

Countries do not posess race. There are only 3 anthropological races, as such, Italian (or Irish or whatever) is not a race.

If you hate Italians, you are not racist, you are a bigot. Or intolerant. Or ethno-centric.

Okay I'm done. I just hate seeing 'racist' bandied about like that.

ok, ok,....I get it
01-20-2009, 02:06 PM
SEMANTICS ALERT!

Countries do not posess race. There are only 3 anthropological races, as such, Italian (or Irish or whatever) is not a race.

If you hate Italians, you are not racist, you are a bigot. Or intolerant. Or ethno-centric.

oh good I didn't think I was racist.............

dobbles
01-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Meh, I'm indifferent when the term Black or African-American is used on me.

how about the term chocolate lightning?!?!?!!?!??! :bag:

Daradon
01-20-2009, 02:52 PM
SEMANTICS ALERT!

While I know that is the correct anthropological definition, I think the social definition would include any group with a unique culture.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/race

And several definitions here would agree.

And after the initial use I did switch to the words tolerant/intolerant.

missdpuck
01-20-2009, 03:05 PM

you are canadian.
Agree. Nothing against either nationality but I know several people of Irish or Italian descent whose families have been here for generations. And like you say they've never been there, don't know the language , but they act like they've moved to the US last week. My family moved here from Holland in the 30s,some in the 50s..we don't walk around saying we're Dutch. Same with many families of German descent. The Irish and Italians seem particularly prone to the hyphenated American definition. Not that it's wrong, just interesting.

Bagor
01-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Not to mention the biological definition which includes 2 species with different geographical distributions.

Which then leads biologists for whatever reason to decide that they are 2 different species or to call them subspecies based on appearance.

Imagine the uproar if there was to be

Homo sapien africanus
Homo sapien europeanus
Homo sapien asius
Homo sapien edmontonus

Latter could be split into its own seperate species

troutman
01-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Homo sapien edmontonus

I don't think they are as closely related to us as that

Muta
01-20-2009, 03:27 PM
George Carlin said it best:

f3S_XL3JKgI

:D

flip
01-20-2009, 04:08 PM

He usually does. People write it off because it is "comedy". What it really is, is intelligent.

RougeUnderoos
01-20-2009, 04:14 PM
That Carlin thing is great.

As for the original question, I really don't care. If someone wants to be called African American instead of black, or they find black offensive, well, that's their prerogative, and it's no skin off my ass to use African American.

I don't understand the anger and bitching we get about "political correctness". What's the problem? Are the extra syllables that difficult to spit out?

Or do you reserve the right to offend people just because you want to?

That being said, I use the term "black" whenever the need arises (which is not very often). I don't mean any offense and their isn't malice behind it, but if someone (or an entire "group") were to say "I don't like that, call me/us African American", fine with me.

Bla bla bla...

Daradon
01-20-2009, 04:20 PM

I agree with the jist of what he says, and obviously patriotism can go way too far, or people can be proud for silly reasons. But I can understand being proud for what your country has achieved, or what it stands for. As I mentioned earlier, a country is made up by it's people, so I could see how some could take ownership in that.

IE, Canada's record in peacekeeping makes me proud. I'm not a peacekeeper myself, but I support the ideals of it and work to achieve peace and tolerance in my own ways, therefore I feel it's fair to me to feel some pride in that.

Flash
01-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Aslong as Spike Lee and Kanye West keep their mouth shut, they can call themselves whatever they want.

Does this forum have any "those people" from the Southern USA? I would imagine their view of this and the "Canadian" view is completely different. The few black friends I have all prefered to be called "Steve, John, Fred" .. you know, there F'n names.

I'm not a racist, but I am not polictally correct either, but seriously, why must we label everything.

My brother has a 4 Leaf Clover mixed with a Canadian Flag tattoo on his forearm - He has never been to Ireland, and he is only %30 Irish - I dont see no Swedish Flag on his F'n Arm.

...... dammit, I knew I shouldnt of read this thread.

This made me laugh because it reminds me of my cousin. He (and his parents, and our grandparents) were all born in Canada. Our Grandpa was of Irish and Scottish descent...his last name (both my cousin's and my Grandpa's) is the name of a city in Wales, but we are not Welsh. Anyways, my cousin has a tattoo of the Welsh dragon mixed with a maple leaf. WTF? Seriously? He's never even been to Wales, I swear the closest he's even been to Wales is New York. :blink:

driveway
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I am a Calgary Flames Fan.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/driveway80/Flags4.jpg?t=1232494490

Daradon
01-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Oh man I totally agree. My sister was born in Houston and she always goes on about how she is American. We left when she was nine months old or something. She's never been back to Houston. And has only vacationed in Hawaii and California briefly. I've been to the States far more than she has.

I just don't get it.

fatso
01-20-2009, 04:43 PM
That Carlin thing is great.

As for the original question, I really don't care. If someone wants to be called African American instead of black, or they find black offensive, well, that's their prerogative, and it's no skin off my ass to use African American.

I don't understand the anger and bitching we get about "political correctness". What's the problem? Are the extra syllables that difficult to spit out?

Or do you reserve the right to offend people just because you want to?

That being said, I use the term "black" whenever the need arises (which is not very often). I don't mean any offense and their isn't malice behind it, but if someone (or an entire "group") were to say "I don't like that, call me/us African American", fine with me.

Bla bla bla...

Man, I couldn't say it better myself.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people get offended or bothered by other's people right to self-definition. What difference does it make?

The one argument seems to be "well, i have some friends and they prefer to be called 'black'". Who cares? Good for them. People should have a right to have some control over their identity and what works for some members of a particular group might not work for another.

The other argument is "oh, why can't everyone just be people... we're all the same... they're distinguishing themselves, blah blah...". In this case, black people were by and large brought over as slaves and endured slavery then segregation. For a long time they weren't really "americans" at all. The use of African-American - with its overwhelming history of... what... a couple years? - is simply an acknowledgment that their past isn't covered by the term AMerican and their experience in, and relation to, that country is different. NOt incommensurable, just... different.

There's no P.C. conspiracy or any rejection of formal logic. Just a choice some people make to identify in a particular, historically relevant way.

habernac
01-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Oh man I totally agree. My sister was born in Houston and she always goes on about how she is American. We left when she was nine months old or something. She's never been back to Houston. And has only vacationed in Hawaii and California briefly. I've been to the States far more than she has.

I just don't get it.

Agreed, this would be the same as me saying I'm from Ontario. Left at 6 months old and haven't even been back since the 70's.

FlamesAddiction
01-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Race is more of a social construct than a biological one. In fact, literature from pre-industrial times often depicts numerous "races" which are defined not just by appearance, but by culture, geography, socio-economic status, and history. During the Middle Ages, it was a widely held belief that Europe itself was full of several races. Race is really just an invention.

Sometime in the past 500 years, races have been narrowed down to physical characteristics and geographic origin. This was mainly as a way for colonialists to justify their acts... ie. people could justify harming other humans if they were a different "race". It's not always cut and dry though, for example, there are people in North Africa and the Middle East who are racially ambigous.

Personally, I have nothing against the term African-American.

Hack&Lube
01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Homo sapien edmontonus

Latter could be split into its own seperate species

I believe Homo Non-Erectus Neanderthalensis Edmontonus is the proper classification