PDA

View Full Version : Isles and Wings deal

HelloHockeyFans
01-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Isles-Wings swap forwards (http://www.livejournal.com/users/nyislanderscphl/)

UNIONDALE, N.Y. - The New York Islanders have traded Dallas Drake to the Detroit Red Wings for enforcer Georges Laraque.

With the team's latest acquisitions it seems apparent that the deal was done to bring the Islanders back below their salary cap, however the Isles do receive the younger player in the deal who's toughness is a welcome addition to the slumping squad.

"Laraque is a big-time heavy weight in this league and we wanted to get a legitimate guy who would step up and protect some of our guys if need be," Islanders coach commented. "He's not going to score a ton of goals for us, but he doesn't exactly have hands of stone neither."

Dallas Drake, a versatile, two-way forward who has seen time on all of the Islanders' special team units was disappointed of the move.

"I like the recent moves this team has made," the 35 year old forward said. "I would have liked to be part of it, but I'm excited about the opportunity I'll get in Detroit."

With the Islanders' next game not until Sunday, it's very likely Laraque will suit up for the game versus the Penguins.