PDA

View Full Version : Dislocated thumb

BlAcKNoVa
11-13-2008, 09:52 AM
I think I dislocated my left thumb at work yesterday morning. I say think because I've never had a dislocated bone ever before, let alone a broken bone (I've been lucky I guess). I thought I broke it at first because the first 2-3 secs were really painful, but the pain quickly went away. I thought I had just bruised the thumb really bad. About an hour later the swelling started, and my shift ended 2 hrs later. I got home and noticed it was starting to bruise. Ate, went to sleep, woke up, went back to work, and at lunch this morning I really gave it a look, and noticed it was slightly crooked. I'm not sure if this is just because of the swelling or maybe the bone popped out of place.

It really ain't painful at all right now. If anything very minor discomfort. One thing I can't really do is bend it toward the bottom of my hand. I can't grip worth a damn either.

How it happened? I was walking backwards and forgot I had conveniently placed a jack into the pallete I was standing on. I obviously flung my arms down to try and stop the fall from being worse, but I hit the bottom part of the jack and rolled onto my left hand.

Btw, it's the very first joint nearest to the tip of the finger. I'm probably going to the clinic this morning but the finger is still a bit swelled up. Should I wait until the swelling goes down or just go to get it checked out anyways?

Anyone ever have anything like this happen before? Maybe some other dislocated stories you can share? lol

Sample00
11-13-2008, 10:32 AM
well, my son was playing dodgeball in school two weeks ago and took a ball off the thumb. it bent his thumb back and immediately it swelled up.
We took him in for xrays fearing a broken thumb.
As it turned out, he had cracked his growth plate between the joints in the thumb.
thankfully it was on his blocker hand and he could still get his hand inside the glove. we taped his stick to the blocker.
Damn dodgeball, just about wrecked a perfectly good hockey season!!!:w00t:

CaptainCrunch
11-13-2008, 10:45 AM
well, my son was playing dodgeball in school two weeks ago and took a ball off the thumb. it bent his thumb back and immediately it swelled up.
We took him in for xrays fearing a broken thumb.
As it turned out, he had cracked his growth plate between the joints in the thumb.
thankfully it was on his blocker hand and he could still get his hand inside the glove. we taped his stick to the blocker.
Damn dodgeball, just about wrecked a perfectly good hockey season!!!:w00t:

Patches O'Houlihan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001800/): If you're going to become true dodgeballers, then you've got to learn the five d's of dodgeball: dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge!