PDA

View Full Version : Good Books

ok, ok,....I get it
11-11-2008, 03:54 PM
I am no literary giant, but enjoyed these

Birdsong, by S Faulks....good read
Very Long Engagement...can't recall author....love story.....
Monster Kody.....Autobiography, dude was one of the first Crips or was it bloods.....
Herion Diaries.....Nikki Sixxi...nuff said
Ghosts of Medak, Carol Off......Peacekeeping my A$$
Rumble Fish.....I was young
London, can't recall the author....fictorial account of London from founding to present
Will think of some others latter...

Would love to hear of other books

KTrain
11-11-2008, 03:56 PM
"The Dirt" by Motley Crew would be up your alley. They "wrote" it so it's an easy read.

ok, ok,....I get it
11-11-2008, 03:58 PM
"The Dirt" by Motley Crew would be up your alley. They "wrote" it so it's an easy read.

isn't that being made into a movie?

metallicat
11-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Mystic River by Dennis Lehane is awesome, as is Children Of Men by PD James. Also, I will recommend Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz. That novel really got me into other Koontz books.

sadora
11-11-2008, 04:26 PM
A book that every man should read:

The Way Of The Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide To Mastering The Challenges of Women, Work and Sexual Desire.

This book may offend some people but for others, the non-castrated males, it's meant to inspire and challenge your eternal maculine.

"Every moment waited is a moment wasted, and each wasted moment degrades your clarity of purpose"

burn_this_city
11-11-2008, 04:27 PM
^^ I might check that one out..
God Delusion
God is not Great..

flip
11-11-2008, 04:28 PM
The Bible II. Great sequel. Penned by George Carlin.

JerzeeGirl
11-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Read these and LOVED them:

"Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time" by Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin
....a story so relevant to our times as it's the tale of a man who is fighting terrorism the right way - by fighting ignorance and teaching the children of Pakistan & Afghanistan to think for themselves and make the right choices - excellent read!

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold
...the tale of a murdered teen who watches as her family tries to figure out what happened to her, who did it and how to keep on living despite the tragedy and how she comes to terms with them having to move on

Phaneuf3
11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
I really enjoyed the Genghis series by Conn Iggulden. Pretty light read but a very good story (so far) that I wasn't familiar with.

Also: 1984, Brave New World and Frankenstein are among my all time favorites but thought people were looking for more unique recommendations.

burn_this_city
11-11-2008, 04:45 PM
I really enjoyed the Genghis series by Conn Iggulden. Pretty light read but a very good story (so far) that I wasn't familiar with.

Also: 1984, Brave New World and Frankenstein are among my all time favorites but thought people were looking for more unique recommendations.

I half expected you to suggest a baby names book ;)

Phaneuf3
11-11-2008, 04:49 PM
I half expected you to suggest a baby names book ;)
No no. Only some people need those.

Plus, you have to make sure its not one of those modern new age baby name books with horrible, horrible ideas. In case anyone needed a list of names:
http://www.babiesonline.com/pregnancy/babynames/MostPopular/1970s.asp
Stick to the top 50 or 75 and you should be ok.

Sainters7
11-11-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm not sure how many of you are into non-fiction, but "A Long Way Gone" by Ishmael Beah absolutely blew me away. It's about his story as a forced child soldier in Sierra Leone in the late 90's. The way he writes makes you feel like you're right there with him.

Flickered Flame
11-11-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm not a big reader but here are 3 books that I couldn't put down.

The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty-Buster Olney
Future Greats and Heart Breaks-Gare Joyce
Living on the Black Two Pitchers, Two Teams, One Season to Remember-John Feinstein.

wpgflamesfan
11-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Practical Guide To Racism by C.H. Dalton
Average American Male by Chad Kultgen

I got a ton more i could recommend but those are two i have re-read recently

Phaneuf3
11-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Practical Guide To Racism by C.H. Dalton
Average American Male by Chad Kultgen

I got a ton more i could recommend but those are two i have re-read recently
Intriguing titles. Care to give a synopsis?

Table 5
11-11-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm not really a fiction kinda guy, I've always preferred historical or autobiographical books. I haven't read it myself, but after hearing an interview by the author, one book I'd like to read is The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life.

While Mr. Buffett has never written a memoir, he apparently seeked out Alice Schroeder to write it for him. It took several years of shadowing Buffett to write, so might be pretty interesting.

ResAlien
11-11-2008, 06:39 PM
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett. Awesome
Cabal - Clive Barker. Great horror / thriller writing, and it's set in Alberta.
Anything by Chuck Palahniuk
American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis. Much more twisted than the movie, but better as an existential commentary.
Logic - Kant. Definitely worth wading through.
The Republic - Plato. Basic first year philosophy read, but never stops having more things to find with re-reading it. Has been "flagged" in my home for years. Yeah, flagged that way. Couldn't return it if i wanted to :whistle:

Table 5
11-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah, flagged that way. Couldn't return it if i wanted to :whistle:

Swarm! Swarm!

Mightyfire89
11-11-2008, 07:12 PM
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett. Awesome
Cabal - Clive Barker. Great horror / thriller writing, and it's set in Alberta.
Anything by Chuck Palahniuk
American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis. Much more twisted than the movie, but better as an existential commentary.
Logic - Kant. Definitely worth wading through.
The Republic - Plato. Basic first year philosophy read, but never stops having more things to find with re-reading it. Has been "flagged" in my home for years. Yeah, flagged that way. Couldn't return it if i wanted to :whistle:

I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth right now. I'm about half way through and so far, I'd have to agree, awesome. Very engaging story.

FanIn80
11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

GreenLantern
11-11-2008, 07:17 PM
I am currently on book 8 of the Wheel of Time series. I was very impressed with the first 5 books.. meh with 6 and 7, so far book 8 is meh, although I am only a hundred pages in.

I understand they have started talks about turning this series into a movie(s).. will be interesting to see how they go about it.

Traditional_Ale
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Playing Off The Rail - David McCumber

Its about pool hustlers. I mean Billiards and not pedos at public pools.

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Wicked one-shot fiction. Neil Gaiman is a genius. He produced Beowulf, as well as penned American Gods, and a novel with Terry Pratchett "Good Omens."

Spares - Michael Marshall Smith

Reading this now. Ex cop who has family murdered ends up a "Rapt" addict tending to a "spares" farm. Spares are clones of human who are dissected as their masters injury/disease needs require. He educates them and breaks them out heading back to New Richmond (a 220-story crashed floating-mall that has become its own living hell) to settle things...

Its completely f***ed.

PEACE!

wpgflamesfan
11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Intriguing titles. Care to give a synopsis?

Average American Male - how the male mind works. extremely vulgar yet brilliant at the same time. Guaranteed to offend some readers

Practical Guide to Racism - explores each race and the stereotypes against them. Very risque but absolutely hilarious. May offend some readers

Aeneas
11-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Playing Off The Rail - David McCumber

Its about pool hustlers. I mean Billiards and not pedos at public pools.

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Wicked one-shot fiction. Neil Gaiman is a genius. He produced Beowulf, as well as penned American Gods, and a novel with Terry Pratchett "Good Omens."

PEACE!
And wrote STARDUST!!

Ro
11-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller is the best book I've ever read. Can't go wrong with that one.

JerzeeGirl
11-11-2008, 10:44 PM
I am currently on book 8 of the Wheel of Time series. I was very impressed with the first 5 books.. meh with 6 and 7, so far book 8 is meh, although I am only a hundred pages in.

I understand they have started talks about turning this series into a movie(s).. will be interesting to see how they go about it.

I've been reading the WoT since 1991 when the 1st book came out - and while it did have a bit of a drag in the middle to some, the last few books (10 & 11 esp) have been really good! I just hope that the fellow who is writing the A Memory of Light (Book 12) can do the series finale justice!

As for a movie.....I shudder to think at how badly that could be done - the story is really just too big with too many characters and storylines to do the tale justice.

Flash
11-11-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth right now. I'm about half way through and so far, I'd have to agree, awesome. Very engaging story.

I have Pillars of the Earth, but can't seem to get into it. I've heard about how amazing it's supposed to be but I've been having a hard time with it, the beginning seems very slow to me. I've been meaning to give it another try, I'd really like to read it given all the incredible reviews it's received.

REDVAN
11-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Average American Male - how the male mind works. extremely vulgar yet brilliant at the same time. Guaranteed to offend some readers

This is my favorite book. The ending makes me a little sad, being a 24 year old young man on the dating scene, but nonetheless, I loved this story.

It's not how my mind works... but it's a rather unique perspective on things.

simonsays
11-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Gaiman is a good author and if you like Neverwhere (which I think is his weakest of novels) I'd suggest you try out the Sandman comic books. From Preludes & Nocturnes to The Wake, there are few better stories around.

Stop reading. He dies. Not the main character, but the author. He made up to book 12 of 13!!

Personally I've been enjoring myself with Bernard Cornwells "Last Kingdom" series for a little while. Historical fiction about the rule of King Alfred combined with just plain fun.

C_Rush
11-12-2008, 12:40 AM
The Raw Shark Texts - Steven Hall. Exactly as it's described, the love child of "Jaws" and "The Matrix."

Weaveworld - Clive Barker.

Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris

The Gunslinger series by Stephen King

kermitology
11-12-2008, 12:49 AM
London is by Edward Rutherfurd and is quite good.

I suggest:

Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden: a book about two cree snipers in the First World War. It's absolutely amazing.

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder: a novel on the history of philosophy. It's a little hard to get started, but once you get about a quarter of the way in it's enthralling.

White Teeth by Zadie Smith: quirky novel from a young British author. She's one of my favourites.

How to be Good by Nick Hornby

FLAMESRULE
11-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Just found my new favourite author - Christopher Moore. He's written:
"Lamb - The Gospel according to Biff" - Basically a highly fictionalized account of the first 30 years of Jesus' life. Easily one of the funniest books I've ever read.

"A Dirty Job" - A "beta" male in San Fran is now a death dealer and has to fight off the evil underworld to save humanity. Again, Moore's written style is pure genius. He plays on both extremes of emotion, you could be laughing hysterically one minute and on the verge of tears teh next.

"Fluke" - Not done this one yet, but its about a Marine Biologist who almost finds out the mystery behind Humpback whales singing.

Bobblehead
11-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Stop reading. He dies. Not the main character, but the author. He made up to book 12 of 13!!

But he did map out the way he had wanted the story to wrap up and there is another author finishing it from his notes.

Mind you, I haven't read the last couple - I got frustrated a the long waits and decided to wait until the final book was just about done then go back and re-read the previous few so I could remember everything that was going on. There were so many characters and plot lines, I would forget about a few in the 3+ years between books.

octothorp
11-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Speaking of series that never got finished properly, one of my favorites is Mervyn Peake's Gormanghast Trilogy. First two books are among the best writing I've ever read; it's a beautiful dark gothic story, but for anyone who enjoys structure and syntax and language, Peake is amazing. Unfortunately, he died before completing the third book, and as it stands it just doesn't come close to the other two, and I kinda wish the series had been left at just two books.

Iowa_Flames_Fan
11-12-2008, 09:45 AM
People always ask me "what's your favourite book," since I'm a writer and literary scholar, but it's a hard question for me to answer without listing about 30.

In a previous thread there was a discussion of a "book draft" to go along with the movie and music drafts. If someone was willing to organize it, I think that would be awesome.

On the topic of "great books interrupted by the author's death," my very nerdy contribution is Melville's Billy Budd--if he had lived another 10 years, my feeling is he'd be remembered for that over Moby-Dick.

troutman
11-12-2008, 10:32 AM
People always ask me "what's your favourite book," since I'm a writer and literary scholar, but it's a hard question for me to answer without listing about 30.

In a previous thread there was a discussion of a "book draft" to go along with the movie and music drafts. If someone was willing to organize it, I think that would be awesome.

On the topic of "great books interrupted by the author's death," my very nerdy contribution is Melville's Billy Budd--if he had lived another 10 years, my feeling is he'd be remembered for that over Moby-Dick.

I can start a workshop thread, but I'll need lots of input from others on categories etc . . .

habernac
11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
King of Russia about Dave King coaching in the Russian super league was terrific. Not much of a novel reader, I'm almost exclusively into the biography stuff. Patrick Roy : Winning. Nothing Else is also a very good. Reading another hockey book on Bill Barilko as well, not bad for a book on the Leafs.

ok, ok,....I get it
11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Death's Men by Denis Winter, about the raising of Kitchener's army and life in the army...interesting read