PDA

View Full Version : Good movie rental joints

flip
11-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Ok so I've exhausted my local Blockbuster (Crowfoot and Royal Oak) of movies that I want to rent, that they have in stock. I'd prefer not to have to use Amazon because renting is cheaper.

Any really good DVD rental places, preferably in the Northwest that have really good DVD selection?

Looking for specifically:

Sling Blade
Idiocracy
Shine
Trading Places
The Royal Tenenbaums
An Evening with Kevin Smith Parts 1 and 2
Bill Maher: Victory Begins at home ("I'd rather sail off the end of the f***ing earth than have to deal with those people again" - Bill Maher on why Columbus tried to find the new world and trade with the Middle East)
Full Metal Jacket (WS edition)

Several others too.

Suggestions?

Any actual movie suggestions would be appreciated too.

AFireInside
11-10-2008, 06:08 PM
There is a really great video store just off 17th ave and 14th street called Bird dog video..
Quick check on their movie list, both sling blade and idocracy are there. Their movie list on the site is not complete though.

http://www.birddogvideo.ca/

JiriHrdina
11-10-2008, 09:09 PM
There are virtually no independent movie rental places any more in this city. In the last 1-2 years 80% of them have gone out of business due to the growing popularilty of VOD, downloadng movies, and of course the Blockbusters/Rogers.

Used to be every community had a neighbourhood movie rental place - but they are almost all gone now.

Casablance on 4th Street, and the aforementioned BirdDog are two of the few remaining ones.

Sad.

FanIn80
11-10-2008, 09:12 PM
+1 for Casablanca in Marta Loop.

flip
11-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I know of Casablanca but only for their VHS collection, have they gone DVD?

JiriHrdina
11-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Oh yeah they have a ton of DVDs now - I think you can still rent VHS there as well but they have a ton of DVDs now too.

cesspoolx
11-11-2008, 09:04 AM
casablanca in marda loop and bird dog video are the two best in town.
vhs has gone the way of the dinosaur....

VANFLAMESFAN
11-11-2008, 09:46 AM
vhs has gone the way of the dinosaur....

And rightfully so, I popped in my VHS copy of Goodfellas a couple days ago and it was disgusting to watch, but mostly, to listen to. The hiss is unbearable. Not sure how we used to think that was high tech.