PDA

View Full Version : Electrostatic Furnace Filters?

Canada 02
11-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Dust, pollen and other allergens really get to me and I find that i'm going thru the disposable furnace filters every 6 weeks (I'm in a new subdivision so there is a lot of construction dust around me)

Anyone use electrostatic furnace filters instead of the disposable ones?

Do they work? Are they better than the disposable ones? Are they easy to clean? I read that some restrict air flow leading to your furnace/AC motor burning out.

Any alternatives - built in electronic air cleaners? Plug-in type HEPA air filters?

Help me breathe

FurnaceFace
11-10-2008, 08:29 PM
We bought one with our new furnace this spring. It's a Honeywell which is supposed to be a good brand. The unit is not tough to clean, a couple of filters to pull out and hose off and then a big metal filter system which you can toss in the dishwasher. The unit definitely does work as we seem to have much less dust in the air.

Depending on your furnace configuration it might be tough to install. The guy who put our furnace in said it would be cheaper to do it now before the new furnace gets installed as the air filter sits in front of the furnace.

browna
11-10-2008, 08:57 PM
^
Even if you didn't have a proper response, I think with that username, it was essential that you reply in a furnace thread.

FurnaceFace
11-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Indeed. Any thread mentioning furnace pops out at me.

coltleader
07-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Dust, pollen and other allergens really get to me and I find that i'm going thru the disposable furnace filters every 6 weeks (I'm in a new subdivision so there is a lot of construction dust around me)

Anyone use electrostatic furnace filters instead of the disposable ones?

Do they work? Are they better than the disposable ones? Are they easy to clean? I read that some restrict air flow leading to your furnace/AC motor burning out.

Any alternatives - built in electronic air cleaners? Plug-in type HEPA air filters?

Help me breathe

This seems like a random thread for the Calgary Puck website, but I will weigh in. Last year, my daughter had just bought a house and was in the same situation. She was told she needed to replace her air filters so she asked me to help. I knew nothing about it! She found the website called www.filter-outlet.com/ (http://www.filter-outlet.com/). Hopefully that helps.
Now back to spending lots of time reading about Calgary Puck!

prarieboy
07-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Hmmmmm........

A user who joined in July this year and bumps a 3 year old thread and links a website.

Seems legite.

Madman
07-13-2011, 09:16 AM
I agree with [usernamewhopostedbeforeme]!

Now back to spending lots of time reading about [generalwebsitename]!