PDA

View Full Version : Meniscus surgery

loob job
10-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi All, I go in for meniscus surgery, cutting away the torn cartiledge, not repair. I know this is a minor surgery and from everything i've read i should be off crutches in a couple days and back to normal in 4-6 weeks. I've had surgery in the past and woke up sick to my stomach from the anasthaetic. Anyone ever have this? Anyone been awake when they did your meniscus surgery? Tell me about your experiences so i know what to expect. Thanks.

Bagor
10-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi All, I go in for meniscus surgery, cutting away the torn cartiledge, not repair. I know this is a minor surgery and from everything i've read i should be off crutches in a couple days and back to normal in 4-6 weeks. I've had surgery in the past and woke up sick to my stomach from the anasthaetic. Anyone ever have this? Anyone been awake when they did your meniscus surgery? Tell me about your experiences so i know what to expect. Thanks.

Had it done as an emergency about 7 years ago which was in a way nice as there was no waiting about.

Straightforward. I was under anaesthetic. Done in the am., discharged around 6ish.

Was on crutches for 1 day max before getting rid of them. Probably could have done with another day or so to rest the knee but they were annoying me.

Walked about 20km a week later to get started.

Very minor, straightforward surgery from my experience.

loob job
10-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks man, i guess that was another question i had too. If my surgery is at 10 what time would I expect to be outta the hospital? Clearly this is new to me, haha.

Eric Vail
10-30-2008, 01:54 PM
I have had cartilage removed from my knee something like five times. They give you a choice for the kind of anesthetic you want. I had always done general and it worked fine for me, but the last time I just had local. They offer a gas to relax you. I wanted to stay away and watch the surgery. It was fascinating. I highy recommend just getting the local. There is no pain, and it is great to get to see the surgery. My surgeon showed me what he was doing on the monitor. It was great.

Bottom line is that it is not a big deal. You'll be sore for a couple of days, but then you'll be okay for day to day things. Returning to sports will take a bit longer.

When you'll get out of the hospital depends on a number of factors such as when your surgery is actually scheduled. They get you in early so they can get you into a bed and shave your leg. You will spend a lot of time waiting. Once the surgery happens, you'll have to go the recovery room for a few hours. You should ask your doctor or the hospital when you arrive when you can expect to leave. You won't get an accurate answer from CP.

Locke
10-30-2008, 02:44 PM
I havent had the knee surgery, but I do have some experience with becoming sick from the anesthetic. Usually the gas made me sick for a few days, but an injection anesthetic worked fine.

There is no way I'd do a local, I dont want to watch, I dont want to know, I just want it to be fixed and to be discharged. This isnt TV, its me.

loob job
10-30-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm definitely going to try to not have general anasthetic. I think it would be kinda cool to see it on the tv, hopefully my doc offers that.