PDA

View Full Version : Reactive Release Therapy

BuzzardsWife
10-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Has anyone here had this? I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder. I went for one treatment and now I need 3 more. It's 45 bucks out of my pocket every time I go, so just wondering if anyone here has been and if it helped? Plus its a long drive to Kensington so I just want to get an idea if I am wasting my time and money. I talked to one lady that went for carpal tunnel and it didn't help her, but the testimonials all over the Dr.s wall are amazing. Thanks for any info you might be able to give me.

MolsonInBothHands
10-30-2008, 09:41 AM
I know a few people who have gone to Shepherd with tendonitus in their elbows and they rave about him. My wife has an appointment there this morning.

The Ditch
10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
I've had active release probably 10 times on a couple of problems. Here's what I think about it. I don't really believe in proprietary methods, they keep it a secret from you unless you pay to learn their methods. So it is a business more then a way to help people, they try to push it that is why the internet is flooded with testimonials on how great it is and how much it helps.

It also depends on your injury, active release won't do anything if there is nothing to be released. Of course they won't tell you that when you go in because they want your money. I was on a waiting list to see a doctor about a torn rotator cuff and went to active release in the mean time and later learned there was no reason to get active release on it, but the chiropractor kept telling me I needed to come back and book more sessions.

In the end, I guess if it is helping you that is all that matters though.

BuzzardsWife
10-30-2008, 09:51 AM
ooops i guess its active release..not reactive!

socktape
10-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Reactive Release or Active Release.... ?

My wife is a RMT specializing in theraputic massage... Most good therapists can do "active" release therapy they just can't call it "Active Release" because it is, for lack of a better term, a patented/trademarked name. It is basically just trigger point therapy with movement. That being said most good therapists should be able to help you out just the same. The trick is finding one. Same for those with Tendonits.

That being said, $45 a treatment isn't too bad a price. That is pretty close to the norm for a half hour treatment, especially at a clinic.

BuzzardsWife
10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Reactive Release or Active Release.... ?

My wife is a RMT specializing in theraputic massage... Most good therapists can do "active" release therapy they just can't call it "Active Release" because it is, for lack of a better term, a patented/trademarked name. It is basically just trigger point therapy with movement. That being said most good therapists should be able to help you out just the same. The trick is finding one. Same for those with Tendonits.

That being said, $45 a treatment isn't too bad a price. That is pretty close to the norm for a half hour treatment, especially at a clinic.
Yeah its not a bad price, but it only take maybe ten minutes, so how much does that work out to per hour? I have the wrong job. I have to say though, I had an appointment this morning, my second one, and I have some pain that has dissapeared after about 15 years of pain. I still have a ways to go, but today seems to have been a bit of a miracle. Half an hour with someone like your wife would probably be better because you'd have a bit of a massage with it. Maybe you could pm me where she works.

JiriHrdina
10-30-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm going to ART right now to try and get mobility back in my knee - so far it has helped but it's a slow, expensive process.

BuzzardsWife
10-31-2008, 07:39 AM
I'm going to ART right now to try and get mobility back in my knee - so far it has helped but it's a slow, expensive process.
glad its helping..today i feel like im all bruised..im not..but it feels like it..but alot of the pain has subsided from the pinched nerve

annasuave
10-31-2008, 09:54 AM
I had some active release sessions for tendonitis (tennis elbow) and an ACL ligament knee injury from skiing.

I was 100% happy with the treatments for the elbow - I've had absolutely no pain since. I'm about 95% happy with the treatment on the knee. It still twinges from time to time, but I was told at the time of the injury that it was not likely to ever be 100%.

Treatments, as I recall were around $40. I had four for the elbow, three for the knee. They hurt. They made my eyes water for sure and left bruises here and there - but I felt it was well worth the cost & discomfort for the pain relief and restored function.