PDA

View Full Version : Scotiabank Scam?

albertGQ
10-29-2008, 10:59 PM
So I just checked my hotmail and I got an email from Scotiabank Online Support Team with the following message

ScotiaBank Online Department Notice

</B>You have received this email because you or someone had used your account from different locations.
For security purpose, we are required to log in to your account.
In order to safeguard your account, we require that you simply log in your online banking by entering ScotiaBank card and password.
To help speed up this process, please access the following link so our robot will identify your currently location,
and release your ScotiaBank Online Banking Account :
https://www.scotiaonline.scotiabank.com/online/start.jsp?language=&first=true (http://hometown.aol.com/lavud4/x/)

Please Note:
If we do no receive the appropriate account verification within 48 hours, then we will assume this ScotiaBank account is fraudulent and will be suspended.
The purpose of this verification is to ensure that your bank account has not been fraudulently used and to combat the fraud from our community.

We appreciate your support and understanding and thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Regards, ScotiaBank - Online Banking Department

First of all, I do not have a Scotiabank account. Never in my life did I ever have one. I've had BMO and TD in the past and currently use ATB, CIBC, and RBC. But NEVER Scotia. Anyone get one of these emails as well?

lambeburger
10-29-2008, 11:01 PM
scam.

calf
10-29-2008, 11:01 PM
If you hover over the "link" (don't click, obviously), you'll see it doesn't go to a Scotiabank website at all. It's a spammer.

Phanuthier
10-29-2008, 11:02 PM
I got one of those emails before for a TD account I had. Scam.

Ruttiger
10-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Get them all the time from every bank. Classify it as spam and ignore them.

Daradon
10-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Yup has the warning signs. If ever confused (say you DID have a Scotia account) just call them up first.

getbak
10-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Last year I got a lot of those "from" TD, and got a few Scotiabank ones last week. I've also received ones in the past claiming to be from US and British banks too.

It seems that whoever sends these out just picks a different bank and floods them out, hoping to catch someone who does have an account with that bank who will fall for it.

Robbob
10-29-2008, 11:23 PM
I know CIBC has notes saying they will never contact a customer by email regarding banking information so any email you get is a scam. I wouldn't trust anything like that.

HOOT
10-29-2008, 11:35 PM
I doubt anything will be done about it but I would contact Scoticabank Security Dept. they may want to know this is happening...

iggypop
10-30-2008, 01:34 AM
Haha if you follow the link you provided, at the bottom you can click on security which will actually send you to the scotiabank's real website.

One of the first things that comes up is:

Beware of emails asking for personal information.
Please be cautious of emails that claim to represent Scotiabank and request confidential and private information from you. Scotiabank will never send you emails asking for your Scotia OnLine password or access code. Do not reply or click on links within these emails.

Awesome.

loob job
10-30-2008, 06:32 AM
No bank ever sends emails regarding stuff like that. Only emails ever sent are deposit transfers and acceptance.

ernie
10-30-2008, 06:40 AM
No bank will provide a link and tell you go enter in personal information.

Best thing to do is forward it on to Scotiabank internet security. Not sure with Scotia but when I get these e-mails pretending to be from RBC, the RBC security team gets back to me right away to let me know that it was indeed a scam and have had the site removed.

Bent Wookie
10-30-2008, 06:52 AM
God I hate to use Wikipedia as a resource, but it's called 'phishing'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

Resolute 14
10-30-2008, 08:10 AM
If you hover over the "link" (don't click, obviously), you'll see it doesn't go to a Scotiabank website at all. It's a spammer.

A scammer that uses AOL? Chances are he's so stupid he'll end up depositing money into your account.

FanIn80
10-30-2008, 08:58 AM
That reminds me... I haven't gone fishing in a while. I wonder if I can still get find Blood Indian...