PDA

View Full Version : Florida trades Getzlaf....again?!?!

Pepper2489
10-24-2008, 01:03 PM
After Florida's first attempt at trading Ryan Getzlaf was veto'd by the leauge, it appears that the second attempt may have been successful. This would mean the first trade for the Panthers new GM has been completed. Florida has traded Getzlaf to the Canadiens for Alex Tanguay, Andrew Ladd and Drayson Bowman. As well, the Panthers were able to unload two unwanted players (3rd string goalie Scott Monroe and RW Brandon Bochenski) for the chance to move up in the 2009 draft. Thanks to all the other GM's who expressed interest in Getzlaf and for their offers.

In unrelated news, rumor has it Gaborik is next out in Florida.

simmer2
10-24-2008, 01:16 PM
After lots of fairly lengthy talks and some advice from other GM's, the Habs have successfully acquired Ryan Getzlaf. Like Dave said, the trade breaks down as follows:

To FLA

Tanguay(79)
Ladd(72)
D. Bowman (very good Canes' prospect)
2nd Rndr (CGY)

To MTL

Getzlaf (79)
Bochenski (67)
Munroe (prospect)
3rd Rndr (FLA)

Really, this deal comes down to Getzlaf for Tanguay, Ladd and Bowman; Bochenski and Munroe were included merely to even out the salaires. We felt that you have to pay up for a young centre like Getzlaf and parting with all those quality assets was tough, but we felt it was worth it.

Ladd will have a chance to prove himself in Chicago and Bowman is a really good prospect, he developed at a great pace last year and will have the chance to make the Canes' as early as next year. He was the most difficult asset to part with in the trade. Those assets will help FLA with some organizational depth they've been missing.

Thanks to Dave for the fun talks, and welcome Getzlaf to the Habs family.

I wanna be like Miikka
10-24-2008, 01:29 PM
I think this is a pretty even deal. Personally I like it a bit more from the Habs perspective because he got the 1 great quality young player in Getzlaf.

However, after a series of GMs in FLA that traded away prospect depth for what was seemingly nothing, this deal fits a need as they add a few good young pieces. Bowman is a high end prospect, Ladd is a good young player, the CGY 2nd in a deep draft should nab somebody very talented. Tanguay is still young and will likely have a career year in Montreal.

So while I like a bit from the habs end, to me it fits the needs of both teams. Now the question is, when will Curtis add some D?

Goffie
10-24-2008, 02:50 PM
I like this deal from a Habs perspective because I think that Getzlaf is clearly the best player involved. Habs get a guy 5 years younger, that being said I think that their NHL stats should be fairly close for the next couple years as Getz plays in a defensive system. Longterm I just see Getzlaf as having much more value then Tangs.

simmer2
10-24-2008, 03:18 PM
I like this deal from a Habs perspective because I think that Getzlaf is clearly the best player involved. Habs get a guy 5 years younger, that being said I think that their NHL stats should be fairly close for the next couple years as Getz plays in a defensive system. Longterm I just see Getzlaf as having much more value then Tangs.

I agree with you Goffie that Getzlaf has more value than Tanguay, but when you consider the addition of Ladd, Bowman and a high 2nd round draft pick, that somewhat offsets the value of Getzlaf over Tanguay IMO.

Goffie
10-24-2008, 03:33 PM
If the youth gained by the Panthers pans out then the trade evens itself out. I was just never high on Ladd, personally I see him as a bust. I see him as a career 3rd line type. Although I could be wrong and he may break out playing in Chicago. Bowman has potential though and could work out well, although he is far from a sure thing.